opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #41
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 145
Re: 2006/06/09 - Donnington Park, UK - Download Festival

Wow.

What can I say, it blew my mind.

The crowd went ape shit when they came on, it sent shivers down my spine when I saw everyone going crazy to Stinkfist, i've never seen such a receptive audience to Tools music before, you could tell they were loving it by the smiles on their faces.
Another thing was the planes that flew over head, you could see Justin smiling like a little boy when that massive plane flew over during Schism, it was really dramatic.
I was suprised when Maynard actually walked up the the crowd and sang during rosetta stonned, he wasn't entirley bound to his little platform.

I was standing up front, by Adam and Maynard, I was next to this guy with long hair who kept shouting Tool, I had a pale Pelican shirt if that helps.

The whole festival was great, Suns of the Tundra were mind blowing, especially with Spasm and You Lied.. yeah the riots, the aftershock arena, the women, it was great.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #42
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

I really enjoyed this performance. It was the best act of the whole weekend for me - I was so hyped about Tool playing this festival, infact I made sure I didn't get drunk all day incase I missed the performance. I made my way all the way to the front, just a few rows back from the bar. You might of seen me in a illuminous jacket over a black long sleeve... I couldn't help but sing each and every line of the lyrics through the whole set, sorry to the guy next to me who I could tell was a another real tool fan by the way he just stood and stared in amazement. I started off watching deftones and made my way to the front from there, right on the right hand side at the front there was abit of a mosh pit, it was pretty unbearable, I decided to move a little to the right and actually found a spot where I could just stand with some space and I was still so close to the band - it was such a quality spot to see tool for the first time.

As other people have said it was all over far to fast. I was really getting into it and then maynard said some form of farewell and I knew straight away that I was going to hear "Hey hey hey hey...". This was kind of a big dissapointment because I knew Tool don't do encours (even though I did stay and chant with the crowds after just incase!).

My top three songs of the show were:

Rosetta stoned
Sober
Anima

but the rest closely followed, Schism was so good live too. I was really happy they played it because they havn't played it much before this tour (at least as far as I can remember atm). It gave the performance some variety.

I was very suprised that a LOT of people knew the lyrics to the songs. More so the older ones such as "sober" and "stinkfist" (both went don't really really well with the crowd). Everyone sang a long to the Pot, Maynard begain with "who are you to wave your finger..." and the crowd sang the next line, while maynard remained silent, then he paused some more and randomly came back in with "you must of been out your hair... " and the song carried on.

I really like the bands appearance. Maynard seems a lot more happy than before on other tours, and he did some pretty comical cowboy dances, like tapping his cowboy boots and rolling his head from left to right. I loved it. I'm sure at one point we made eye contact and just staired at each other, but he was wearing glasses so I will never be sure (lol).

I heared a lot of people praising the sound quality of the show. The sound technicians spent a good 30-40 mins testing the mics. It got quite annoying because my leggs were aching and I was very hot because I was right at the front. I was suprised that most of the crowd at the front were around their 20's and lower. I expected a lot more older guys.

Maynard didn't say much the whole show. Everythign he said (and more than I can remember) people have already noted. I couldn't help laugh at the Irony of tool playing Download festival after the recent events and their opinions ...

Anyway here is two pictures (crappy ones, but somone might be interested...)

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/8341/tool21pq.jpg

Danny's new drum kit kicks ass man, I actually love it - especially being a drummer myself, i'm so envious of that man, he's my drumming idol. The figurehead of modern drummers.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3282/tool15ed.jpg

Anyway I hope you all enjoyed the performance,

Grimey.

note: sorry about the mistakes, it was a long long last night and I had work this afternoon (1 hour after I arrived home!)

Last edited by Grimey; 06-12-2006 at 12:49 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Did anyone else watch Henry Rollins? I loved him - I didn't even realise he was a commedian (or whatever he is... ) He seems like such a nice chap and he made me cry with laughter. That reminds me to go check out his website he mentioned. He was one of my favourite acts of the whole weekend, his speach about "getting up and doing stuff, reading book, meeting people... " really touched me. I do find it hard to believe he was the guy in "bottom" though... :-) Good times people.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #44
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8254

Tool were amazing friday night, i think they sound better live than on CD. It was a shame they didn't play a bit longer, would have loved to see the patient and right in two also the grudge as well.

Maynards dancing was great and Danny was fantastic he scared me, best live performance i ever seen. Tool and Metallica made my weekend.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #45
curious george

Bincount™: 6546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isac Khrondor
Wow.

What can I say, it blew my mind.

The crowd went ape shit when they came on, it sent shivers down my spine when I saw everyone going crazy to Stinkfist, i've never seen such a receptive audience to Tools music before, you could tell they were loving it by the smiles on their faces.
Another thing was the planes that flew over head, you could see Justin smiling like a little boy when that massive plane flew over during Schism, it was really dramatic.
I was suprised when Maynard actually walked up the the crowd and sang during rosetta stonned, he wasn't entirley bound to his little platform.

I was standing up front, by Adam and Maynard, I was next to this guy with long hair who kept shouting Tool, I had a pale Pelican shirt if that helps.

The whole festival was great, Suns of the Tundra were mind blowing, especially with Spasm and You Lied.. yeah the riots, the aftershock arena, the women, it was great.
Did you see a chubby guy with a backpack, a camera and a TA shirt? That would be me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #46
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Monk
....it seemed to be due to a fault in the lighting (that annoying guy who was checking was pissing me off, I know he was just doing his job, but I wanted Tool)
i know how you felt.....i swear it was only one light aswell, i know that tool are amazing visually as they are musically but one light couldnt have ruined that show by a mile
Old 06-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

I feel the same about not being able to believe I've seen them! Every time I listen to one of the live tracks the memories flood back and it sounds twice as good. :)

Saw Deftones (my joint fave band) on Weds and they sucked royally (all the guitar was dropped to levels of bass barely audible to humans!). On Friday, however, they were incredible - totally clicked.. I spoke to Steph (guitarist) on Weds for about 30 mins and he was saying how Abe messes up so often and at Download they messed up enough to have to stop and start again. Shame Chino has become so arrogant and blamed the audience for "making him nervous". Didn't appreciate his "F*ck TooL" comment either (even though I know he loves them). Steph said they were waiting for Maynard to ask them about performing Passenger but if I were Maynard I wouldn't have either after their amateur soundtech/mess-ups. Oh, and seeing Max with them was the highlight for me!

I agree; Maynard's dancing was awesome and I was also left of alley, about 6 from the front. Half way through, a thinnish blonde girl barged through giving everyone dirty looks and elbowing them. Crazy. I was the guy with the TooL logos drawn on his arm.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

ok so i must be the only one that didn't feel he got enouph of TOOL on Friday at Donigton. it was the first time i saw them live great performance great sound, everything great...BUT:
1:the whole show was a little longer than an hour. that was not what the program was saying. only ten songs for a headlining band.why???
2:keenan actually walked on stage only during the first song and that was it. after that he stayed on the back, beside the drumset, not visible by anyone except the people in the middle lines. 90% of the crowd was watching the videos on the screens since the only thing they could see on stage was the speakers!
3.no or minimum interaction with the crowd. i had the feeling that the band was there to play the minimum number of songs, take the money and leave. it seemed like they were not enjoying it, like it was more of an obligation than fun.

a disapointed TOOL fan.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 03:05 AM   #49
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 8254

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer
ok so i must be the only one that didn't feel he got enouph of TOOL on Friday at Donigton.
You can't be too good at reading then, a lot of people have said they felt let down by how short their set was. I wished they'd played a couple more songs but its not a big deal they were amazing and they looked real happy to be there.

Quote:
keenan actually walked on stage only during the first song and that was it. after that he stayed on the back, beside the drumset, not visible by anyone except the people in the middle lines.
This was my 3rd time seeing Tool live and they have definitley improved they sounded fantastic and they played perfectly, Maynard was doing his cool dancing and making jokes he performed really well I don't even think he broke a sweat.

Its your own fault if you didn't get close enough to see them, it was easy to get right down the front there was hardly any moshing and the crowd was easy to walk through. My girlfriend got right up to the barrier at the front on her own without any problems and she is 5 foot 2 inch tall, seeing Maynard that close made her life a whole lot better lol she won't stop talking about it
Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xethmir
Half way through, a thinnish blonde girl barged through giving everyone dirty looks and elbowing them. Crazy. I was the guy with the TooL logos drawn on his arm.
I think that might be the guy I was talking about. Made me wish Tool were a wall-of-death type band... that could have been entertaining
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 AM   #51
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
1:the whole show was a little longer than an hour. that was not what the program was saying. only ten songs for a headlining band.why???
Having seen the setlist of preceeding shows, the length was about what I had expected.

Quote:
3.no or minimum interaction with the crowd. i had the feeling that the band was there to play the minimum number of songs, take the money and leave. it seemed like they were not enjoying it, like it was more of an obligation than fun.
That's how Tool are, the play their music, no bullshit, no waffling with the crowd, no boring monologues and no encores. If you're looking for a band that interacts with their fans a bit more, then I guess Tool aren't the band for you.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 05:12 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rose_immortal
Its your own fault if you didn't get close enough to see them, it was easy to get right down the front there was hardly any moshing and the crowd was easy to walk through. My girlfriend got right up to the barrier at the front on her own without any problems and she is 5 foot 2 inch tall, seeing Maynard that close made her life a whole lot better lol she won't stop talking about it
we are not talking just about me. we are talking about tens of thousands of people who were there. you can't have 50000 people in the front row and especially in the middle. all i am saying is that the band should be more visible.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
we are not talking just about me. we are talking about tens of thousands of people who were there. you can't have 50000 people in the front row and especially in the middle. all i am saying is that the band should be more visible.
That's a problem that any band and any venue will have to an extent. All venues have seats that offer a less than idea view of the stage, and all bands will have shows where fans cannot see the entire band as a result. There's no real solution other than to ensure you arrive early enough to find a spot that suits you. I'm sure that some of those 50000 people were happy enough just to listen to the music and stare at the cool visuals on the screen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #54
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 224

Third time seeing TOOL, this time was not the greatest experience.

1.) It was broad daylight
2.) A good part of the crowd displayed no energy what so ever
3.) Short play list
4.) Volume level
5.) The visuals were not there due to them playing outside.

They played excellent, but its just not the same... Btw, you do not need to be in the front row to enjoy TOOL, my first show was in seats and still blew any other concert I had ever been to away.
If this was your first time seeing them, see them again... ON THEIR OWN TOUR, it is orgasmic....
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM   #55
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy
Did you see a chubby guy with a backpack, a camera and a TA shirt? That would be me.
If you have brown hair then i saw you, was right behind you in fact.

Tool were amazing, the new stuff was awesome especially the pot and the solo in Jambi. Lateralus gave me shivers all the way through, the only band that did that all weekend (except The Prodigy, but that was because i almost passed out due to the heat in that damn tent). Maynard performance was a little bit crotch oreintated for my liking, but it was funny watching him swing round his cowboy hat rodeo style during Jambi. Pity about the set length would have loved to have heard Right in Two.Other than this minor quibble they were easily the band of the festival.

Yeah it was a pity we didnt get passenger during the deftones, maybe thats why Chino shouted "Fuck Tool" and threw his mike down.

A freind i went with said this; "I was a bit dissapointed with Tool, they were alright like, but I would have expected more from a headline band." Somehow i managed not to scream at him like some demented lunatic, he is a Cradle of Filth fan after all so needs musical pity.

Last edited by ArizonaBay; 06-13-2006 at 12:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBay
Yeah it was a pity we didnt get passenger during the deftones, maybe thats why Chino shouted "Fuck Tool" and threw his mike down.
I thought he shouted "I hate Tool"?
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #57
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

No, he definitely shouted 'fuck tool' and slammed his mic down. He then looked up timidly with an expression displaying a bit of irony - anyone who noticed this will know what I mean.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #58
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

This was an amazing gig. My friends seemed to agree that Tool's set was too short. But I thought it was the perfect length, they couldn't have ended with a better song and their set flowed brilliantly. Unfortunately I was too lost in the music to take any photos, so to anyone who has any: It would be fucking brilliant if you posted some here.

Also I think Coheed and Cambria and the Deftones sets were both awesome as well. It was a good build up to Tool. The planes flying overhead added so much to the experience and I was blown away by how good Tools sound was, i've never heard sound that great.

Best gig I've been to.

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-14-2006, 04:46 AM   #59
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

when chino shouted fuck tool he was only kidding.........after he threw the mike down he had a big grin on his face.....deftones and tool are good mates after all
Old 06-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #60
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveboat Captain
This was an amazing gig. My friends seemed to agree that Tool's set was too short. But I thought it was the perfect length, they couldn't have ended with a better song and their set flowed brilliantly. Unfortunately I was too lost in the music to take any photos, so to anyone who has any: It would be fucking brilliant if you posted some here.

Also I think Coheed and Cambria and the Deftones sets were both awesome as well. It was a good build up to Tool. The planes flying overhead added so much to the experience and I was blown away by how good Tools sound was, i've never heard sound that great.

Best gig I've been to.
coheed and cambria were very impressive although i only saw half of their set as i HAD to go and watch clutch (amazing). in response to all those who mentioned tools short set length apparently there was a disagreement betweeen tool and the festival organisers something to do with tool not being allowed to confirm tour dates until a certain number of tickets for download had been sold , which apparently pissed the band off although im more in the mindset that its quality rather than quantity this may explain why they cut short, as a protest to the organisers.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #61
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 200

I was spent after Aenima. I was just thinking "Oh my God, dont play anything else, that was perfect".

I avoid cliches like the plague.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #62
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I haven't got around to uploading my pictures yet but I found this link with a few professional ones:

http://www.andrewkendall.com/pages/photogallery/785/
And sorry is unheard
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: