Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
Airport Mesa's Avatar Airport Mesa
08-04-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptonogood View Post
does maynard always stare in justin's direction for the most part of the show?

and no, he didn't stay in back like i've been reading about the other shows. i mean, his little mini stage is at the back, but he was at the front of that most of the time.

lighting was awesome. got to take a few good camera pix because of it!
Yes stares in the same direction and hangs out on the back on his stage as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: The Gulch Jerome, Airport Mesa, Sedona. No longer Eugene, OR. Now Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn
Bincount™: 28
Re: 08.01.09 - Jersey City, NJ @ All Points West Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptonogood View Post
does maynard always stare in justin's direction for the most part of the show?

and no, he didn't stay in back like i've been reading about the other shows. i mean, his little mini stage is at the back, but he was at the front of that most of the time.

lighting was awesome. got to take a few good camera pix because of it!
Yes stares in the same direction and hangs out on the back on his stage as well.
08-05-2009, 06:36 AM

Finally can post about a show! Made the 5 hr drive from NH and the show was great, except for My bloody Valentine (made the lsd seem SO strong!)
Old 08-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Finally can post about a show! Made the 5 hr drive from NH and the show was great, except for My bloody Valentine (made the lsd seem SO strong!)
OFFLINE |  
sesstreets
08-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Came up to see tool, wound up enjoying the crap out of gogol bordello, that was such a damn good live performance.

Those trying to push MBV... look, I have absolutley no qualms about enjoying genres outside my musical taste, really. I enjoy music as a whole and I like listening to new things (example, gogol bordello, "gypsy punk") but they weren't playing music.

They were so against what I consider to be even the basic amount of musical anything. The two leads just stood there pounding away on the same chord over and over again with this horrible muddy overly saturated guitar tone that just sounded annoying while they tried to sing and make noise while looking overtly bored at the audience.

And that "breakdown" was 13 minutes long. It started getting annoying, overtly so, and left a ringing sound in my ears after it was done. I don't care what you say about live music and how its suppposed to be really loud and bother your ears; not like this. It was basically like they were being deliberate assholes to the people in the audience (most noticeably tool fans). I started the flipping off thing, and I don't give a a flying horse what you think.

But tool. That was good.

It kinda hit me hard, this being my first live show, that I was actually listening to them and watching them live. Their sound is just so good and both guitarists tones have so much punch to them that it just demands that you pay attention to every detail.

I would have enjoyed the show more if I didn't continually get mud splashed on my back from the "mosh pit" that sprung up on the right side.

Who moshes to tool?...

Enjoyed most of the songs more than I thought I would, especially lateralus. And the drum solo was pretty damn good if you ask me, that guy Frank was holding his own. I wish they would have played a few more songs, but I figure because its a festival they have to conform to a time limit and as such were limited to the blockbuster ones...

But if they had played H. or No Quarter or Lost Keys or Parabol/a that would have made the show 150%. As it was it was a great show though, enjoyed it immensily.

And who else saw danny chuck the crap out of that drum cover right into the crowd?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Came up to see tool, wound up enjoying the crap out of gogol bordello, that was such a damn good live performance.

Those trying to push MBV... look, I have absolutley no qualms about enjoying genres outside my musical taste, really. I enjoy music as a whole and I like listening to new things (example, gogol bordello, "gypsy punk") but they weren't playing music.

They were so against what I consider to be even the basic amount of musical anything. The two leads just stood there pounding away on the same chord over and over again with this horrible muddy overly saturated guitar tone that just sounded annoying while they tried to sing and make noise while looking overtly bored at the audience.

And that "breakdown" was 13 minutes long. It started getting annoying, overtly so, and left a ringing sound in my ears after it was done. I don't care what you say about live music and how its suppposed to be really loud and bother your ears; not like this. It was basically like they were being deliberate assholes to the people in the audience (most noticeably tool fans). I started the flipping off thing, and I don't give a a flying horse what you think.

But tool. That was good.

It kinda hit me hard, this being my first live show, that I was actually listening to them and watching them live. Their sound is just so good and both guitarists tones have so much punch to them that it just demands that you pay attention to every detail.

I would have enjoyed the show more if I didn't continually get mud splashed on my back from the "mosh pit" that sprung up on the right side.

Who moshes to tool?...

Enjoyed most of the songs more than I thought I would, especially lateralus. And the drum solo was pretty damn good if you ask me, that guy Frank was holding his own. I wish they would have played a few more songs, but I figure because its a festival they have to conform to a time limit and as such were limited to the blockbuster ones...

But if they had played H. or No Quarter or Lost Keys or Parabol/a that would have made the show 150%. As it was it was a great show though, enjoyed it immensily.

And who else saw danny chuck the crap out of that drum cover right into the crowd?
OFFLINE |  
Arkham Asylum's Avatar Arkham Asylum
08-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Distinct lack of the characteristic group hug that I've noticed all during the 10k Days tour. I don't wanna read into it, but it was a little less endearing to see Tool end their show with no hug. It's one of those things that always reminded me that their music and their creativity is a group effort.

Full review of the show later, I'm still at work oops.

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

Distinct lack of the characteristic group hug that I've noticed all during the 10k Days tour. I don't wanna read into it, but it was a little less endearing to see Tool end their show with no hug. It's one of those things that always reminded me that their music and their creativity is a group effort.

Full review of the show later, I'm still at work oops.

DTA = don't trust anyone
OFFLINE |  
gkrebs's Avatar gkrebs
08-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Anyone else remember this playing right before Tool came onstage?
http://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/...licy_audio.htm
Old 08-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

OFFLINE |  
alkmaeon
08-07-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrebs View Post
shit yeah, I completely forgot, but yeah, that shit was great.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrebs View Post
shit yeah, I completely forgot, but yeah, that shit was great.
OFFLINE |  
Arkham Asylum's Avatar Arkham Asylum
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM

Anyone know what Maynard was talking about when he said something along the lines of "Thank you for Stanley"?

DTA = don't trust anyone
Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #47
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

Anyone know what Maynard was talking about when he said something along the lines of "Thank you for Stanley"?

DTA = don't trust anyone
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply