Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 10. Right in Two
User Name
Password
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-07-2006, 01:40 AM

Right In Two at 05:23 comes in with a really big riff, almost as big as Bulls on Parade.

The difference in the two songs is that RATM uses that riff throughout that kick-ass song, while TooL saves it for the end between 05:23 and 07:10.

And saving it for the end sucks.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 163
Right In Two = RATM Bulls on Parade

Right In Two at 05:23 comes in with a really big riff, almost as big as Bulls on Parade.

The difference in the two songs is that RATM uses that riff throughout that kick-ass song, while TooL saves it for the end between 05:23 and 07:10.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Juanjay
05-07-2006, 03:49 AM

its not as big though, on the Rage song Morello just plays a riff based on an F# octave from what I can hear and he's tuned to E flat.

It sounds like Adam might be playing some type of riff based on an octave but the picking pattern is different, especially the second time that riff is played. It also sounds like in the RATM riff the bass line is the same as the guitar riff. Or at least they're both hitting the F# at the same time giving it a bigger sound.

I don't hear the bass line doing that in Right In Two.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Right In Two = RATM Bulls on Parade

its not as big though, on the Rage song Morello just plays a riff based on an F# octave from what I can hear and he's tuned to E flat.

It sounds like Adam might be playing some type of riff based on an octave but the picking pattern is different, especially the second time that riff is played. It also sounds like in the RATM riff the bass line is the same as the guitar riff. Or at least they're both hitting the F# at the same time giving it a bigger sound.

05-07-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjay

Right, its bigger in RATM but the point is RATM uses it effectively throughout the song, whereas TooL has 5 minutes of the song without it...
Old 05-07-2006, 03:55 AM   #3
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjay

Right, its bigger in RATM but the point is RATM uses it effectively throughout the song, whereas TooL has 5 minutes of the song without it...
Chuck_Of_Wah's Avatar Chuck_Of_Wah
05-07-2006, 04:13 AM

Correct, the picking pattern is different. The timing is different. I'd never associate those two riffs with one another, had you not mentioned it, although I -sort of- understand how you came to associate them. To my mind, it's a stretch, but I get your drift. The tone of each note played may be of some similarity, but that's not the same riff.

EDIT

6:44 - 7:00 is very different from anything RATM has ever done imo.

Last edited by Chuck_Of_Wah; 05-07-2006 at 04:19 AM..
Old 05-07-2006, 04:13 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 177

Correct, the picking pattern is different. The timing is different. I'd never associate those two riffs with one another, had you not mentioned it, although I -sort of- understand how you came to associate them. To my mind, it's a stretch, but I get your drift. The tone of each note played may be of some similarity, but that's not the same riff.

EDIT

6:44 - 7:00 is very different from anything RATM has ever done imo.

Last edited by Chuck_Of_Wah; 05-07-2006 at 04:19 AM..
05-07-2006, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
The tone of each note played may be of some similarity, but that's not the same riff.
I think we all know its the not the same.

But it is similar, mainly the heavy tone and the timing delays.....

RATM = 1 2....1 2 3....1 2 3....1 2
TooL = 1.....1 2 3 4..... 1 2 3 4.

So they are

a) Not identical
b) Similar
c) Similarly one of the best riffs on each respective cd they appear on
d) Only used frequently (and therefore effectively) in the RATM song.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
The tone of each note played may be of some similarity, but that's not the same riff.
I think we all know its the not the same.

But it is similar, mainly the heavy tone and the timing delays.....

RATM = 1 2....1 2 3....1 2 3....1 2
TooL = 1.....1 2 3 4..... 1 2 3 4.

So they are

a) Not identical
b) Similar
c) Similarly one of the best riffs on each respective cd they appear on
d) Only used frequently (and therefore effectively) in the RATM song.
Amethyst Believer's Avatar Amethyst Believer
05-07-2006, 11:35 AM

I dunno. This riff is just an embellished 2-note Meshuggah chug.

Nice drums, though.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 118

I dunno. This riff is just an embellished 2-note Meshuggah chug.

Nice drums, though.
05-07-2006, 12:40 PM

We also know that Tool is not RATM. If you're looking for beginning-to-end metal/heavy riffs, why the hell are you looking for it in Tool? Since Aenima, Tool has been known for their layered songs, with radical changes in tempo, mood, and dynamic within many songs.

Submachine, you say that as if the only thing worth listening to is music with heavy, loud riffs...

And Chuck, yeah, it's very, very different. RATM did nearly everything in straight 4/4. RATM, as much as I love their material, was very simple music.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

We also know that Tool is not RATM. If you're looking for beginning-to-end metal/heavy riffs, why the hell are you looking for it in Tool? Since Aenima, Tool has been known for their layered songs, with radical changes in tempo, mood, and dynamic within many songs.

Submachine, you say that as if the only thing worth listening to is music with heavy, loud riffs...

And Chuck, yeah, it's very, very different. RATM did nearly everything in straight 4/4. RATM, as much as I love their material, was very simple music.
05-08-2006, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend187
Submachine, you say that as if the only thing worth listening to is music with heavy, loud riffs..
No, I said it's the best part in the song and they didn't use it enough.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
On Probation

Quote:
Submachine, you say that as if the only thing worth listening to is music with heavy, loud riffs..
K In Yo Mouf
05-08-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine

Saving It 4 the End Iz Wat Makez the Song Great...

And It Remindz Me Much More of Forty Six & 2 Than Bullz on Parade...

Juzt the Way It Buildz, And Keepz Building Up Until the Explosion @ the End Iz Wat Makez Tool...

Listen 2 All Yr Tool Songz Again, And I'm Willin 2 Bet About Half of Em Save the Best and Hardest Riffz 4 the End...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:50 AM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:

Saving It 4 the End Iz Wat Makez the Song Great...

And It Remindz Me Much More of Forty Six & 2 Than Bullz on Parade...

Juzt the Way It Buildz, And Keepz Building Up Until the Explosion @ the End Iz Wat Makez Tool...

Listen 2 All Yr Tool Songz Again, And I'm Willin 2 Bet About Half of Em Save the Best and Hardest Riffz 4 the End...
05-08-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
If u Uze It 2 Much, It Makez the Song Practically Worthless, And Doezn't Hold All the Energy Up Until the End of the Song, Much Like Forty Six & 2...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 AM   #10

Quote:
If u Uze It 2 Much, It Makez the Song Practically Worthless, And Doezn't Hold All the Energy Up Until the End of the Song, Much Like Forty Six & 2...
05-08-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K In Yo Mouf
If u Uze It 2 Much, It Makez the Song Practically Worthless,
And if you use it too little, the song suffers just as much.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
On Probation

Quote:
If u Uze It 2 Much, It Makez the Song Practically Worthless,
And if you use it too little, the song suffers just as much.
Un coup de dés's Avatar Un coup de dés
05-08-2006, 04:32 PM

i'm pretty sure you only made this connection because of the wahish sound adam has in this riff, and the fact that they are both based on an octave.

The ratm riff is just the octave with a wah pedal and a strumming pattern in 4/4, it never changes through the whole song, and it is one of three riffs (as i recall) that make up that song.

The tool riff is in a different time signature, that would probably be written as three bars of 3/4 and one bar of 2/4, or maybe two bars of 3/4 and one of 5/4. This whole song is based on that riff, if you listen, it is pretty much always present, just under various guises.

Last edited by Un coup de dés; 05-08-2006 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: oh the spelling!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

i'm pretty sure you only made this connection because of the wahish sound adam has in this riff, and the fact that they are both based on an octave.

The ratm riff is just the octave with a wah pedal and a strumming pattern in 4/4, it never changes through the whole song, and it is one of three riffs (as i recall) that make up that song.

The tool riff is in a different time signature, that would probably be written as three bars of 3/4 and one bar of 2/4, or maybe two bars of 3/4 and one of 5/4. This whole song is based on that riff, if you listen, it is pretty much always present, just under various guises.

Last edited by Un coup de dés; 05-08-2006 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: oh the spelling!
05-08-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un coup de dés
This whole song is based on that riff, if you listen, it is pretty much always present, just under various guises.
And those "guises" happen to detract from it, thats the problem with the song, the riffs get intense between 5 and 7 minutes
Old 05-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un coup de dés
This whole song is based on that riff, if you listen, it is pretty much always present, just under various guises.
And those "guises" happen to detract from it, thats the problem with the song, the riffs get intense between 5 and 7 minutes
theprosperone
05-08-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:

You would be right except the riffs are totally different and a lot of people enjoy a little bit of building and dynamics before the head splitting riffs sometimes. ;)
Old 05-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:

You would be right except the riffs are totally different and a lot of people enjoy a little bit of building and dynamics before the head splitting riffs sometimes. ;)
transcend187's Avatar transcend187
05-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Right in Two is one of my favourite songs on the album. I thoroughly enjoy the dynamic shifts, the riffs, and the lyrics. If that heavy riff was continued throughout the song, well, it'd be an entirely different song, and obviously not what was intended. You want to write your own song with a heavy RATM-style riff, go ahead, but that's just not what this song is about.

My only beef with this song is that it's not a great album closer. Yeah, technically Viginti Tres is the closer, and its not terrible, but it needs to come after something with much more of a conclusion. I feel like I've been left hanging after Right In Two. Of course, this could have been the intended effect... but I don't know.

If it was the intended effect, then I'd start thinking about WHY it was the intended effect, rather than saying they shouldn't have done it.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439

Right in Two is one of my favourite songs on the album. I thoroughly enjoy the dynamic shifts, the riffs, and the lyrics. If that heavy riff was continued throughout the song, well, it'd be an entirely different song, and obviously not what was intended. You want to write your own song with a heavy RATM-style riff, go ahead, but that's just not what this song is about.

My only beef with this song is that it's not a great album closer. Yeah, technically Viginti Tres is the closer, and its not terrible, but it needs to come after something with much more of a conclusion. I feel like I've been left hanging after Right In Two. Of course, this could have been the intended effect... but I don't know.

If it was the intended effect, then I'd start thinking about WHY it was the intended effect, rather than saying they shouldn't have done it.
guitarpete987
05-08-2006, 11:07 PM

Right in Two has a FLAWLESS buildup leading into the Danny's tabla stuff, and the single note that Adam hits before the tabla stuff is like a really intense exhale.

Then it pulls back it's intensity to a whisper for Danny's part, only to surge back to a wall of sound with the riff in question.

If you listen closely, it takes that riff all the way through to the end of the song, through different variations on the idea. That riff itself is actually an extreme simplification of the main clean riff.

And if they had introduced the intense, hammering riff any earlier. It would have been spoiled.

I'm sorry, but saving it for the end most definitely does not suck. Only in an airwaves-hungry pop song should there be any need to push the best parts of a song anywhere remotely near the beginning, or even the first half of the song.

Don't pull out the big guns too early in the battle; wait for the right time to strike.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Right in Two has a FLAWLESS buildup leading into the Danny's tabla stuff, and the single note that Adam hits before the tabla stuff is like a really intense exhale.

Then it pulls back it's intensity to a whisper for Danny's part, only to surge back to a wall of sound with the riff in question.

If you listen closely, it takes that riff all the way through to the end of the song, through different variations on the idea. That riff itself is actually an extreme simplification of the main clean riff.

And if they had introduced the intense, hammering riff any earlier. It would have been spoiled.

I'm sorry, but saving it for the end most definitely does not suck. Only in an airwaves-hungry pop song should there be any need to push the best parts of a song anywhere remotely near the beginning, or even the first half of the song.

Don't pull out the big guns too early in the battle; wait for the right time to strike.
evil agent's Avatar evil agent
05-09-2006, 07:28 AM

The song DOES NOT suffer for its sparing use of the riff. It's better for it, IMO. If they overused the riff it would lose its power. The fact that it leaves you wanting more is almost the perfect amount of riff-repetition. It makes you want to hear the song again, and the buildup gives the riff that much more power.

I can't believe what nitpickers you guys are.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 AM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

The song DOES NOT suffer for its sparing use of the riff. It's better for it, IMO. If they overused the riff it would lose its power. The fact that it leaves you wanting more is almost the perfect amount of riff-repetition. It makes you want to hear the song again, and the buildup gives the riff that much more power.

I can't believe what nitpickers you guys are.
Juanjay
05-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil agent
The fact that it leaves you wanting more is almost the perfect amount of riff-repetition..
Agreed
Old 05-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
The fact that it leaves you wanting more is almost the perfect amount of riff-repetition..
Agreed
Bakeup's Avatar Bakeup
05-10-2006, 08:46 AM

When musicians work together, their styles rub off on each other. Adam and Tom do have similar styles at the very core of them, and it's no wonder thy write similar riffs.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

When musicians work together, their styles rub off on each other. Adam and Tom do have similar styles at the very core of them, and it's no wonder thy write similar riffs.
05-10-2006, 09:15 PM

I like the build up, and this song has a perfect example of such. I try to do build ups like these in a lot of my songs because like that guy who has no "S" on his keyboard, harnessing energy, then releasing it, saving for a stronger climax creates a better song.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #20

I like the build up, and this song has a perfect example of such. I try to do build ups like these in a lot of my songs because like that guy who has no "S" on his keyboard, harnessing energy, then releasing it, saving for a stronger climax creates a better song.
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
05-11-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
your 's' button isn't broken........ freaking use it!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49

Quote:
your 's' button isn't broken........ freaking use it!
05-11-2006, 01:26 AM

Quote:
plus it sends chills down your damn spine :D thumbs up
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
plus it sends chills down your damn spine :D thumbs up
05-11-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:

maybe they intend for their next albumn to be part two of 10,000 days.
it makes sense, as if this is maynard's ways of letting go of his mum, there'd be a bigger picture.
i'm not saying theres a 2nd part coming soon as part of a double albumn, i'm saying in 4 years (or how long it takes) the new albumn might tie in with XMD.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

maybe they intend for their next albumn to be part two of 10,000 days.
it makes sense, as if this is maynard's ways of letting go of his mum, there'd be a bigger picture.
i'm not saying theres a 2nd part coming soon as part of a double albumn, i'm saying in 4 years (or how long it takes) the new albumn might tie in with XMD.
Bakeup's Avatar Bakeup
05-12-2006, 09:02 AM

after further listening, the "RATM" part of the song reminds me of a lot of Baroque (Bach, Mozart) classical music. They typically finish pieces using the I and V chords, using a pattern that is similar to this one.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

after further listening, the "RATM" part of the song reminds me of a lot of Baroque (Bach, Mozart) classical music. They typically finish pieces using the I and V chords, using a pattern that is similar to this one.
05-12-2006, 09:12 AM

What became of subtlety?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

What became of subtlety?
Satan's Caulk
05-12-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeup
Yes, because we all know Mozart was from the baroque period...
Old 05-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeup
Bakeup's Avatar Bakeup
05-12-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Caulk
Well, I did have to look it up, and hope that others do too.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Caulk
Well, I did have to look it up, and hope that others do too.
05-12-2006, 12:27 PM

I'm not sure if someone has said this already, but its not the same riff. RATM plays the alternating octaves, while tool plays a D-High C alternating pattern. If you listen closely you can hear the difference (not to mention the rhythms aren't even close)...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm not sure if someone has said this already, but its not the same riff. RATM plays the alternating octaves, while tool plays a D-High C alternating pattern. If you listen closely you can hear the difference (not to mention the rhythms aren't even close)...
The Useful Idiot
05-12-2006, 05:00 PM

I cant really see a similarity either
Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

I cant really see a similarity either
TurdEye13's Avatar TurdEye13
05-12-2006, 05:01 PM

I love the build-up and out of control explosion
Old 05-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #30
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 2063

I love the build-up and out of control explosion
05-12-2006, 08:40 PM

There is no similarity. They are both distinctly different. I'm not sure how you came to compare these two songs. They aren't even in the same genre.
This post was made with no warranties, expressed or implied. All comments are to be taked with a grain of salt. Athough attempts may or may not be made to accentuate the sarcasm, It is the sole responsibility of the reader to ascertain the particular level of sarcasm therein.

Quote:
"Stick that big goofy head back in your ass..."
- Sodemizer
Old 05-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

There is no similarity. They are both distinctly different. I'm not sure how you came to compare these two songs. They aren't even in the same genre.
This post was made with no warranties, expressed or implied. All comments are to be taked with a grain of salt. Athough attempts may or may not be made to accentuate the sarcasm, It is the sole responsibility of the reader to ascertain the particular level of sarcasm therein.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
dctool27
05-12-2006, 11:50 PM

Submachine, why aren't you out there making better songs, since you have this special formula for using heavy riffs effectively throughout songs? If you want one riff repeated over and over and drove into the ground, just turn on your radio, there are a million songs like that.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #32
Level 2 - Poster

Submachine, why aren't you out there making better songs, since you have this special formula for using heavy riffs effectively throughout songs? If you want one riff repeated over and over and drove into the ground, just turn on your radio, there are a million songs like that.
erazorhead's Avatar erazorhead
05-13-2006, 05:16 AM

people should stop encouraging this boy to make ridiculous, redundant threads. tell him where to stick it straight up. submachine, get off the internet, pick up a guitar, learn this riff you love so much, then record yourself playing it over and over for 10 minutes. you may never need to listen to another song again. as someone else mentioned, if you are looking for music comprised entirely of chunky, heavy, repetative riffs, why tool? There is no reason for tool to become more like any other band that i can think of, and if there is a reason, its not to appease ungrateful, close minded fans.

thank you
'zor
Old 05-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35

people should stop encouraging this boy to make ridiculous, redundant threads. tell him where to stick it straight up. submachine, get off the internet, pick up a guitar, learn this riff you love so much, then record yourself playing it over and over for 10 minutes. you may never need to listen to another song again. as someone else mentioned, if you are looking for music comprised entirely of chunky, heavy, repetative riffs, why tool? There is no reason for tool to become more like any other band that i can think of, and if there is a reason, its not to appease ungrateful, close minded fans.

thank you
'zor
05-13-2006, 06:21 AM

GODSMACK PWNZ! With their big, chuncky riffs, They do the same riff for a whole song and never make you wait till the end. Sometimes it seems they do that same, big, chunky riff for the whole album. Sometimes it sounds like they do the same big chunky riff on their other albums too. It's almost like they are flaunting the fact that they have mastered that big, chunky riff thing and rubbing it in the face of bands like tool, that can only manage 2 or 3 measures at the end of a song because they dont have the guts to do it all the time on every album. Yeah. That's why GODSMACK PWNZ....

There...I said it....I feel dirty now.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
Old 05-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

GODSMACK PWNZ! With their big, chuncky riffs, They do the same riff for a whole song and never make you wait till the end. Sometimes it seems they do that same, big, chunky riff for the whole album. Sometimes it sounds like they do the same big chunky riff on their other albums too. It's almost like they are flaunting the fact that they have mastered that big, chunky riff thing and rubbing it in the face of bands like tool, that can only manage 2 or 3 measures at the end of a song because they dont have the guts to do it all the time on every album. Yeah. That's why GODSMACK PWNZ....

There...I said it....I feel dirty now.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
Matt8's Avatar Matt8
05-13-2006, 06:34 AM

godsmack? they do the same riff for a whole fuckin album, actually for 4 whole albums. godsmack is good for 14 year old nu metal kids but overall they suck. shitty lyrics, shitty guitar, shitty bass, their new drummer is awesome though.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #35
On Probation

Bincount™: 249

godsmack? they do the same riff for a whole fuckin album, actually for 4 whole albums. godsmack is good for 14 year old nu metal kids but overall they suck. shitty lyrics, shitty guitar, shitty bass, their new drummer is awesome though.
AlphaGeek's Avatar AlphaGeek
05-13-2006, 06:39 AM

You didnt actually read my post did you....?

Maybe I should have put a little emoticon thing in that post so folks could have read right through all my sarcasm and used the ASCII ":)" to note my disdain for Godsmack....

I'll remember this going forward.

I have added an appropriate signature for future reference.

Quote:
- Sodemizer

Last edited by AlphaGeek; 05-13-2006 at 06:47 AM..
Old 05-13-2006, 06:39 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

You didnt actually read my post did you....?

Maybe I should have put a little emoticon thing in that post so folks could have read right through all my sarcasm and used the ASCII ":)" to note my disdain for Godsmack....

I'll remember this going forward.

I have added an appropriate signature for future reference.

Quote:
- Sodemizer

Last edited by AlphaGeek; 05-13-2006 at 06:47 AM..
05-17-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8
Godsmack was produced by the guy who did these two other albums you may have heard of, Aenima and Lateralus.

Right In Two at 05:23 MAY be the best moment on the entire CD.

It would have been nice to hear a variation of it, or at least a precursor of something heavy, in the preceding 5 minutes.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8
Godsmack was produced by the guy who did these two other albums you may have heard of, Aenima and Lateralus.

Right In Two at 05:23 MAY be the best moment on the entire CD.

It would have been nice to hear a variation of it, or at least a precursor of something heavy, in the preceding 5 minutes.
theprosperone
05-17-2006, 11:53 PM

By the way, the riff in question isn't octaves, the rage song is.

The rage song places an f# on the d string and then f# on the e string.

This song plays the lowest string tuned to a d and then a c.

The notes aren't even the same, much less the rhythm.

Also just because the dude who produced Aenima and LAteralus works on something else doesn't mean it would be any good. Good music or crap music, they gotta put food on the table.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 PM   #38

By the way, the riff in question isn't octaves, the rage song is.

The rage song places an f# on the d string and then f# on the e string.

This song plays the lowest string tuned to a d and then a c.

The notes aren't even the same, much less the rhythm.

Also just because the dude who produced Aenima and LAteralus works on something else doesn't mean it would be any good. Good music or crap music, they gotta put food on the table.
AlphaGeek's Avatar AlphaGeek
05-18-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I don't understand your logic here...He produced the album. He did't write the "songs" or perform them...

...He simply polished a turd.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I don't understand your logic here...He produced the album. He did't write the "songs" or perform them...

...He simply polished a turd.

Quote:
- Sodemizer
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
05-20-2006, 12:08 PM

To repeat a riff interminably throughout an entire song RUINS the riff just as surely as radio DJ's playing the same song interminably ruins that song. This riff is a CLIMAX, and climax is defined as a high POINT. When a climax becomes a miles-long plateau, it loses it's compelling nature. This is a point that Tool understands very well. For example, in Prison Sex, the riff that accompanies "I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this . . ." is one that leaves me wanting for more- but that is exactly what an effective climax does. Similarly, Eulogy has a riff that accompanies "Come down! Get off your fuckin' cross . . ." that I would have loved to hear expanded upon, but once again, Tool shows restraint. I often wonder if my opinions of these songs would not be as high if they had dragged these riffs along for another minute each. Personally, O believe that their respective fleeting grandeurs would not hold such an allure if they were not so fleeting. In each case (Prison Sex, Eulogy and Right In Two), Tool does a masterful job of building a dynamic: set up the highs with lows, living in the moment of each riff without looking ahead or reenacting past intensities. That principle, in my mind, is one of the most integral foundations of Tool's music, and without it, they woud cease to be the phenomenon that they are.

Furthermore, this comparison lacks rhythmic grounding. Bulls On Parade is a simple, steady, 4/4 beat (not detracting at all from the genius of that song, although it's true genius is lyrical). This song exists in a time signature that starts with 11 (whether it is an 11/4 or an 11/8 is debateable but not really worth debate). Count along with your riff, and you will find that in this song, it exists in a grouping of 3+3+3+2(=11), and so that immediate and stark dissimilarity seems to defeat your argument. Stop wasting our time telling us what Tool should've done- as if you are in any position to criticize the musicians that have been on the forefront of progreesive sound since before you had heard of them- and go fire up some Limp Bizkit.
But I'll pull through
Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 PM   #40
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576

To repeat a riff interminably throughout an entire song RUINS the riff just as surely as radio DJ's playing the same song interminably ruins that song. This riff is a CLIMAX, and climax is defined as a high POINT. When a climax becomes a miles-long plateau, it loses it's compelling nature. This is a point that Tool understands very well. For example, in Prison Sex, the riff that accompanies "I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this . . ." is one that leaves me wanting for more- but that is exactly what an effective climax does. Similarly, Eulogy has a riff that accompanies "Come down! Get off your fuckin' cross . . ." that I would have loved to hear expanded upon, but once again, Tool shows restraint. I often wonder if my opinions of these songs would not be as high if they had dragged these riffs along for another minute each. Personally, O believe that their respective fleeting grandeurs would not hold such an allure if they were not so fleeting. In each case (Prison Sex, Eulogy and Right In Two), Tool does a masterful job of building a dynamic: set up the highs with lows, living in the moment of each riff without looking ahead or reenacting past intensities. That principle, in my mind, is one of the most integral foundations of Tool's music, and without it, they woud cease to be the phenomenon that they are.

Furthermore, this comparison lacks rhythmic grounding. Bulls On Parade is a simple, steady, 4/4 beat (not detracting at all from the genius of that song, although it's true genius is lyrical). This song exists in a time signature that starts with 11 (whether it is an 11/4 or an 11/8 is debateable but not really worth debate). Count along with your riff, and you will find that in this song, it exists in a grouping of 3+3+3+2(=11), and so that immediate and stark dissimilarity seems to defeat your argument. Stop wasting our time telling us what Tool should've done- as if you are in any position to criticize the musicians that have been on the forefront of progreesive sound since before you had heard of them- and go fire up some Limp Bizkit.
But I'll pull through

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply