opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 02. Jambi
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 09-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Lateralareallofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 187
Bincount™: 1
Silence Legion

The line, " Silence legion, save your precious,silence, just stay out of my way!!!!..."

Legion was a demon encountered by Christ in the gospel of Mark, comprised of two-thousand or so spirits. Christ apparently drives Legion out of the man it possessed and into a herd of swine that immediately leapt off a cliff into the sea, but it's all sort of ambiguous.

a possible interpretation of what maynard is singin about. He is banishing his demons for the sake of his son's survival and his own.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,475
Bincount™: 135
Re: Silence Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralareallofus View Post
The line, " Silence legion, save your precious,silence, just stay out of my way!!!!..."

Legion was a demon encountered by Christ in the gospel of Mark, comprised of two-thousand or so spirits. Christ apparently drives Legion out of the man it possessed and into a herd of swine that immediately leapt off a cliff into the sea, but it's all sort of ambiguous.

a possible interpretation of what maynard is singin about. He is banishing his demons for the sake of his son's survival and his own.
Ya' know, it might help if you actually had the correct lyrics.

When you find some time, perhaps you should mosey over to check out the "official lyrics"
__________________
"WITHOUT A LITTLE EVIL, GOOD WOULD NEVER EXIST"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 259
Bincount™: 3
Re: Silence Legion

First, the official lyrics.

Silence, legion. Save your poison.
Silence, legion. Stay out of my way.

Now that we have that out of the way ... I think this is a very good and valid observation, Lateralareallofus. I haven't read the bible in its entirety. I really need to do so because I'm an avid reader and a writer and much of the world's great literature draws from the bible in various ways and an understanding of the bible would without a doubt provide me greater insight into some of the literature I covet.

You might be onto something here. It makes perfect sense. However, in the official lyrics, Maynard does not have the word 'legion' capitalized. I would think it would be capitalized if it were in reference to the demon named Legion. Then again, there is such a thing as typos ... so perhaps the lower-cap is just an oversight.

The legion could simply refer to the masses of personal demons the song's narrator squares off against. But your interpretation brings a nice perspective and enriches my understanding of the song by giving it another possible layer. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Last edited by Angel on the Sideline; 09-25-2008 at 11:01 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,475
Bincount™: 135
Re: Silence Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel on the Sideline View Post
The legion could simply refer to the masses of personal demons the songs narrator squares off against.
This too, is the way I see it.
__________________
"WITHOUT A LITTLE EVIL, GOOD WOULD NEVER EXIST"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker
 
sidereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 23
Bincount™: 0
Re: Silence Legion

aren't the lyrics 'silent nietzsche, stay your poison. Silent Nietzshche, stay out of my way!'??

The song is about Maynard being interested in keeping something in his life which is about union and oneness despite his success, individualism and resulting materialism. "But I, I would wish it all away.
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day"

Nietzsche's philosophy is about distain for any desire to blend the individual into the whole. For nietszsche, this is slave morality, or the fleeing of the powerless person who is unable, due to lack of strenth, to assert his individuality. Maynard is crying out to assert his interest in holism in spite of his individual success!

"Here from the king's mountain view
Here from the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan I do
On treasures and flesh, never few."

"But I, I would wish it all away.
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day"

"The devil and his had me down,
in love with the dark side I'd found.
Dabble in all the way down
up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me.
Lifted me up, turned me round.
So I...
I...
I...
I...
I would
I would
I would
Wish this all away "
__________________
www.myspace.com/theovals
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker
 
sidereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 23
Bincount™: 0
Re: Silence Legion

sorry wrong thread - placed in 'what's he saying'
__________________
www.myspace.com/theovals
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Level 12 - Scurrilous
 
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,475
Bincount™: 135
Re: Silence Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidereal View Post
aren't the lyrics 'silent nietzsche, stay your poison. Silent Nietzshche, stay out of my way!'??

The song is about Maynard being interested in keeping something in his life which is about union and oneness despite his success, individualism and resulting materialism. "But I, I would wish it all away.
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day"

Nietzsche's philosophy is about distain for any desire to blend the individual into the whole. For nietszsche, this is slave morality, or the fleeing of the powerless person who is unable, due to lack of strenth, to assert his individuality. Maynard is crying out to assert his interest in holism in spite of his individual success!

"Here from the king's mountain view
Here from the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan I do
On treasures and flesh, never few."

"But I, I would wish it all away.
If I thought I'd Lose you just one day"

"The devil and his had me down,
in love with the dark side I'd found.
Dabble in all the way down
up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me.
Lifted me up, turned me round.
So I...
I...
I...
I...
I would
I would
I would
Wish this all away "
lol....of course, why didn't we all think of this before?


..perhaps because it's fucking retarded
__________________
"WITHOUT A LITTLE EVIL, GOOD WOULD NEVER EXIST"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
wearethestories's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 466
Bincount™: 0
Re: Silence Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidereal View Post
aren't the lyrics 'silent nietzsche, stay your poison. Silent Nietzshche, stay out of my way!'??
No.

http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/10kdayslyrics.php#02
__________________
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.