opin.menu.register.jpgopin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
Reply
Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #81
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Arkham Asylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: up here
Posts: 595
Bincount™: 47
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

People think it's too poppy. I've been a fan for quite some time, but I find that "The Pot" has a uniquely funky bass line which I love, but the song does not offer much other than novelty and some cynical lyrics.
__________________
Integrity means that you are one.

DTA = don't trust anyone
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #82
Level 4 - Thinker
 
ToolKlouD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: hamburg ny
Posts: 26
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

ppl are morons
__________________
Got High?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #83
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
AtomHeartMother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 57
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet View Post
I really don't care what you say, this is the shittiest Tool song ever, the voice gives me deep nausea and the lyrics are far from socially or politically engaged, they're just stupid. The result is quite boring. Maynard may have word ability and Justin may play incredibly well, but that's not a Tool song for me *listens to Pushit*
Exactly. Worst TOOL song of all time. Every single song on Undertow, and even Opiate is 100 times more interesting and unique than The Pot.
__________________
"I do not exist."

-God
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #84
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Anywhere with the opportunity of being wooftacular!
Posts: 174
Bincount™: 332
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

disagree. this song is unique. i mean listen to the weird-ass guitar solo in here!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #85
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Matthew77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 951
Bincount™: 15
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeartMother View Post
Exactly. Worst TOOL song of all time. Every single song on Undertow, and even Opiate is 100 times more interesting and unique than The Pot.
Why compare Tool's songs of today with Opiate and Undertow? That is tool of 15 years ago! People grow as individuals and Tool has grown as musicians. I personally would not want to hear new Tool if it sounded like Opiate or Undertow.
__________________
10/24/96, 8/12/97, 8/23/98, 8/6/01, 8/7/01, 11/6/01, 11/8/01, 10/2/02, 11/23/02, 8/27/06, 12/4/07, 7/10/10, 6/17/17

Last edited by Matthew77; 02-23-2007 at 02:25 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: dc
Posts: 29
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #87
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Anywhere with the opportunity of being wooftacular!
Posts: 174
Bincount™: 332
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

greatly said,<Insertcrypticnamehere>, I couldn't have said it better. Nor could I have said it at all.

This song is R8 nice
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #88
On Probation
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: €
Posts: 330
Bincount™: 162
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

then you're both morons.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #89
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Anywhere with the opportunity of being wooftacular!
Posts: 174
Bincount™: 332
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

bé quîet plëåse
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #90
seeyouauntie
 
Carny_Handles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pen15
Posts: 3,953
Bincount™: 8695
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadastic View Post
This was the first song on the record that I liked.
funny mine was rosetta stoned. I was blown away with 80% of the lyrics i could decipher.
__________________
i'm better than you
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #91
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: .
Posts: 190
Bincount™: 4
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

"What is it I don't like about this song?" | "What is it I don't like about me?"

What's the difference?
__________________
Chickens eat nuggets eat chickens eat nuggets. .
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #92
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NM
Posts: 194
Bincount™: 272
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

the pot = fucking bad ass song
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #93
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Ghostwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 523
Bincount™: 30
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

I like this song, it has good style.
__________________
10,000 Ænimatic Lateralosaurs Opiating in the Undertow of a Salivalous swamp.
-I WILL NOT BE ANOTHER SHEEP WAITING TO BE SHEARED-
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #94
Level 2 - Poster
 
Aerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Poznan, Poland
Posts: 6
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Personally, I love this song and I love singing along with MJK.
And now, a message for all those who say we (the people who like this song) are morons - De gustibus non est disputandum. - You shouldn't dispute others' tastes, in musiac as well. if you don't like the song, say it and present sound arguments instead of just calling us stupid.
(hope some of you share my opinion)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22
Bincount™: 2
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

The Pot is an amazing song, sure the first time I heard it Maynard had a different feel in his voice but it did grow on me eventually and in my opinion all the Tool songs are good in there own different ways.The reason why I found Tool as such a good bad in the first place was because all the songs sounded completely different from the next one, and The Pot fits that discription pretty well.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #96
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
Eulogy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 640
Bincount™: 13
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

its a good song but....most people feel it was made for the radio and thats it.
__________________
"Think for yourself, question authority"-Timothy Leary
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #97
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: texas
Posts: 35
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

i'm torn on this song, it's good, but it does seem a little mainstream sounding to me. it's not one of my favorites, but there's not a band out there that could even try to match it. i like it, it's just not what i would expect from tool, but then again that's what tool always gives me...the unexpected. it does show off some beautiful lyrical ability from maynard though.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #98
caveman
 
miketh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 904
Bincount™: 193
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
Very well put....

Tool is constantly evolving with their music. A lot of people think 46 & 2 is played at every concert because of it being their most "popular" song (shallow thinkers). Unfortunately, these so-called fans don't get the personal growth theme to it, which I think coincides with the music evolving and growing. Makes perfect sense why they perform it at almost every show.

The Pot simply points out America's hypocrisies with a muddy finger. It's an awesome song and is very Toolesque. Thanks for stickin' up for it. The musical quality and arrangement is yet another genius masterpiece.

1. Danny's double bass interludes.
2. Maynard's voice range.
3. Justin's bass intro.
4. Adam's just plain bad ass riffs.

I know others can analyze better, but I like the basics just fine.

:)


:)
__________________
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world." - Merlin, from Excalibur

Wherever you go........there you are.

Last edited by miketh74; 09-07-2007 at 09:02 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #99
Level 4 - Thinker
 
emir7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 30
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

My first complaint was the lack of depth in lyrics, but reading around this forum changed that idea for me. Musically, though, it's just not as enticing as other Tool efforts. So I had two problems with the song, one corrected and the other still remains.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #100
Level 8 - Vociferous
 
parables in the world's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NM...beside turtle mountain
Posts: 678
Bincount™: 14
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Just forget all you know about music and....Feel the rhytmn...feel the song...
__________________
I live to share what i see around this world.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #101
caveman
 
miketh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 904
Bincount™: 193
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world View Post
Just forget all you know about music and....Feel the rhytmn...feel the song...
Fathom the power.......
__________________
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world." - Merlin, from Excalibur

Wherever you go........there you are.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #102
Last stop on the West Coast line.
 
Esurient4Truth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East Coast
Posts: 4,148
Bincount™: 7282
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
__________________
^.^
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #103
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Land Downunder
Posts: 812
Bincount™: 4103
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #104
Level 5 - Deep Thinker
 
Headphuq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 70
Bincount™: 7
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn View Post
I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?
Fo Sho man!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #105
caveman
 
miketh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 904
Bincount™: 193
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
You are exactly right. Well thought out and said.

I wholeheartedly agree!!
__________________
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world." - Merlin, from Excalibur

Wherever you go........there you are.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #106
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 14
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

i never liked tool all that much untill i heard this song, and then since then ive been listnen to all their other songs. idk, music grows on me. alot of times i dotn liek it at first. a lot of music is real catchy and good the first time, but its songs u gotta really sit and listen to and think about, that are fuckin awesome. this sogn is like all of that in one song. plus i mean who doesent love pot?

hes all like, ganja? nigga please wtf is the matter with your dumbass its justa herb!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #107
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
wearethestories's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 466
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakinjamaican90 View Post
i never liked tool all that much untill i heard this song, and then since then ive been listnen to all their other songs. idk, music grows on me. alot of times i dotn liek it at first. a lot of music is real catchy and good the first time, but its songs u gotta really sit and listen to and think about, that are fuckin awesome. this sogn is like all of that in one song. plus i mean who doesent love pot?

hes all like, ganja? nigga please wtf is the matter with your dumbass its justa herb!
ignance.
__________________
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #108
Level 3 - Talker
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 14
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

well alright, what do u think he means?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: smurf
Posts: 534
Bincount™: 196
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn View Post
I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?
Word. it's a funky, groovy, badass, energetic, cathartic song...and I happen to love it...

I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
HE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
SHE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO, MOVE IT!

WE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
I LIKE .. OH I DID I HAVE I DONE I? DID I DO I LIKE?
I THINK I DID I LIKE.. WE? WHAT ABOUT WE? THEY? THEY? I DID THEY.

OH I GOT IT, I GOT IT I GOT A NEW ONE I GOT A NEW ONE.. THEM?
NO NOT THEM.. DID I SAY THEM OR NOT?

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOV... I'M GONNA SAY THEM

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
WE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
UMM WAIT THERES GOTTA BE ANOTHER ONE WE... WE... NOPE.. OH US!
CAN WE DO US LIKE TO?

US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT THATS THE ONE
US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
US LIKE TO.. MOVE IT!

MOVE IT! MOVE ITTT.. MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT MOVE IT

OKAY THEN, WANNA HEAR,
I JUST WANNA TELL YOU A LITTLE STORY THIS LITTLE STORY
THAT MY DADDY USED TO TELL ME HE WAS A KING AS
WELL I WAS BORN, PROBABLY ABOUT 68 YEARS AGO OVER BY
THAT TREE OVER THERE YEH
AND I REMEMBER THINGS CHANGED A LOT IN THOSE
DAYS, IN MADAGASCAR IT WASNT SO COMMERCIAL, YOU KNOW,
THERE WASNT ALL THE FUSS BOUT WHO'S GOT THE LATEST TREE
AND WHAT LEAVES
ARE YOU WEARING AND WHO'S GOT
THE LATEST FUR ON THEIR BACK YOU KNOW,
THOSE DAYS IT WAS JUST ME AND A COUPLE OF THE OTHERS YOU
KNOW, DOING THE JUNGLE BOOGIE YOU KNOW,
JUNGLE BOOGIE... JUNGLE BOOGIE
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

I LIKE TO MOVE IT!

YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS NEVER GONNA END COZ IT IS 3,2,1

NOT BAD EH? I LIKE IT

...it's not all that matters...but it definitely matters...

Last edited by jasminæ; 10-01-2007 at 05:01 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #110
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: smurf
Posts: 534
Bincount™: 196
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song
is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
beautiful...this debate should've ended when this enlightened creature sent this post...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #111
caveman
 
miketh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Here and there.
Posts: 904
Bincount™: 193
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

I liked it as well.

But I like Ensurient4Truth's post. Summed up rather well.
__________________
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world." - Merlin, from Excalibur

Wherever you go........there you are.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #112
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
GideonBufo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a pond of Galaxies
Posts: 363
Bincount™: 70
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.
Yeah compare something like flood or prison sex to the pot, it sounds like a different band. Older fans who are used to tool being that probably wouldn't groove on this.
__________________
Give from thine rations and you shall recieve my bounty.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #113
Level 7 - Loquacious
 
wearethestories's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 466
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GideonBufo View Post
Yeah compare something like flood or prison sex to the pot, it sounds like a different band. Older fans who are used to tool being that probably wouldn't groove on this.
Mehh... I like it a lot, and I groove to prison sex (well... you know...)

It's not the direction I'd like to see them continuing in (and yes, because it's so radio-friendly, so call me an elitist), but it's by no means a bad song.
__________________
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #114
Level 4 - Thinker
 
Peanut's Parents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 47
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
I agree, "Vicarious" should've got more air time than "The Pot"
But that's the thing about the "now" mainstream, they play the crap.
There is not one TOOL song that i don't intently listen to and value, but "The Pot" is on the lower end of my favs.
And now is up for a Grammy. Go TOOL, congrats, but NOT FOR THAT SONG.
Sorry, but they have 10 times better songs thats been played on air.

Vicarious
Jambi
Lateralus
H.
and countless more, just naming some of my favs.

Come on, But I am excited about the glory that is coming to TOOL from this album.
"The Pot" is a good song, i enjoy listening to it, but there are WAY better song that you can learn and experience from that TOOL has crafted.
__________________
Confusion always leads to understanding.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #115
Level 11 - Clamorous
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: the Bunker
Posts: 3,940
Bincount™: 1841
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

i like the song a lot and i never really thought about why...however, i'm new to this posting stuff so my reasons may seem simple and stupid but i feel the need to say something, anyway...first off, the pot reminds me of what Rush does, they work the same themes over many albums, in that i have always thought the pot was just intolerance pt.2- no one is innocent...secondly, the song stands out from the rest of record because it wouldn't have seemed out of place on say 13 steps(and from what i've read so far, most tool fans find apc sort of poppy)...now here's a suggestion, drink a bottle of red wine or two, crank up the pot until you feel it through the floor, and your chest heaves, turn on the tv, sound off, and watch the president and his men talk their heads off. i did this and i realized that the government has always perpetuated the idea that pot was a wmd infiltrating the inner fabric of their interpretation of how we should all live...fuck that, don't listen to what others tell you, think for yourself...those that control the army apparatus always want to tell us how to think and feel...and finally, i remember my dear grandmother from ireland saying over and over to me, " Now don't go calling the kettle black." Eventually i understood what she meant.
__________________
Time is still the infinite jest.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #116
gaufre
 
Vein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: sea of tranquility
Posts: 559
Bincount™: 234
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

The pot was the first song I listened to that had temporarily convinced me that 10kdayz was a hoax. The first 30 seconds hurt my balls.
__________________
I'm having the most perfect hallucination.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #117
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

I don't think it's the worse song on the album, but I really don't care for the lyrics, and to me the music gets a little monotonous. Which is weird because I love swamp song. I also dislike the song because, as others have pointed out, it gets a lot of radio play. And being on the radio isn't the part that I don't like, it's the fact there are people who don't understand Tool, which I hold very near and dear to me, that are going to like the song JUST because it's called The Pot and possibly (or definitely to the untrained ear, ie the casual listener) has lyrics about pot. People like that just piss me off. But the main reason I don't care for the song would be that I don't care for the lyrics, I don't care what secret message is behind them because I still find them rather uninspiring, and I find that the music is a little boring even if I don't compare it to their other songs, just as a straight rock song. I actually enjoy the high singing he pulls off in the beginning though. It made me smile to hear that he still has a vocal range (cause we all know his voice is getting a little tired with age).
But not their worst song...I think Right in Two is the worst (not including segues), but I'm sure I'll catch slack for that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #118
Level 2 - Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 7
Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

On an unrelated note
@ Vein

Rosetta fan?(the band I mean, not a shortened version of Rosetta Stoned) I recognized the Wake/Lift album cover. They're only like one of my favorite bands. And cause I live so close to Philly, I get to see them a bunch.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #119
Level 10 - Vehement
 
base metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: a field of dreams
Posts: 2,358
Bincount™: 4198
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Why didn't people like the pot?

It was a 'normal' song with a balls out guitar track that failed to pry open 3rd eyes, I guess.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #120
Level 11 - Clamorous
 
gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: the Bunker
Posts: 3,940
Bincount™: 1841
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post
Why didn't people like the pot?

It was a 'normal' song with a balls out guitar track that failed to pry open 3rd eyes, I guess.
I concur.
I liked how succinctly you put it. I read my earlier post, and it sucked. Damn I'm an idiot.

What caught me, then as now, is the fact I like saying the phrase, "Piss on my black kettle."
Plus the guitar track. Balls out!
And I don't need a 3rd eye to feel the song pulse up through my feet, up my legs, past the hips to my spine. And then, just letting the air move me.
__________________
Time is still the infinite jest.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote


Reply

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Quick Reply
Your Reply:
Forum Jump

all posts © their respective authors. the tool page is not responsible for any of their thoughts, brilliant or otherwise.