Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
AtomHeartMother's Avatar AtomHeartMother
02-21-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet View Post
I really don't care what you say, this is the shittiest Tool song ever, the voice gives me deep nausea and the lyrics are far from socially or politically engaged, they're just stupid. The result is quite boring. Maynard may have word ability and Justin may play incredibly well, but that's not a Tool song for me *listens to Pushit*
Exactly. Worst TOOL song of all time. Every single song on Undertow, and even Opiate is 100 times more interesting and unique than The Pot.

-God
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #81
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhet View Post
I really don't care what you say, this is the shittiest Tool song ever, the voice gives me deep nausea and the lyrics are far from socially or politically engaged, they're just stupid. The result is quite boring. Maynard may have word ability and Justin may play incredibly well, but that's not a Tool song for me *listens to Pushit*
Exactly. Worst TOOL song of all time. Every single song on Undertow, and even Opiate is 100 times more interesting and unique than The Pot.

-God
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Salvatorin
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM

disagree. this song is unique. i mean listen to the weird-ass guitar solo in here!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #82
Banned.

Location: Anywhere with the opportunity of being wooftacular!
Bincount™: 332

disagree. this song is unique. i mean listen to the weird-ass guitar solo in here!
Matthew77's Avatar Matthew77
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeartMother View Post
Why compare Tool's songs of today with Opiate and Undertow? That is tool of 15 years ago! People grow as individuals and Tool has grown as musicians. I personally would not want to hear new Tool if it sounded like Opiate or Undertow.

Last edited by Matthew77; 02-23-2007 at 02:25 PM..
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #83
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeartMother View Post
Why compare Tool's songs of today with Opiate and Undertow? That is tool of 15 years ago! People grow as individuals and Tool has grown as musicians. I personally would not want to hear new Tool if it sounded like Opiate or Undertow.

Last edited by Matthew77; 02-23-2007 at 02:25 PM..
<Insertcrypticnamehere>
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM

I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #84
Level 4 - Thinker

I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
Salvatorin
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM

greatly said,<Insertcrypticnamehere>, I couldn't have said it better. Nor could I have said it at all.

This song is R8 nice
Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #85
Banned.

greatly said,<Insertcrypticnamehere>, I couldn't have said it better. Nor could I have said it at all.

This song is R8 nice
tempo zilch
02-23-2007, 05:23 PM

then you're both morons.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #86
On Probation

Bincount™: 162

then you're both morons.
Salvatorin
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM

bé quîet plëåse
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #87
Banned.

bé quîet plëåse
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
05-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadastic View Post
This was the first song on the record that I liked.
funny mine was rosetta stoned. I was blown away with 80% of the lyrics i could decipher.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #88
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadastic View Post
This was the first song on the record that I liked.
funny mine was rosetta stoned. I was blown away with 80% of the lyrics i could decipher.
05-07-2007, 08:43 AM

"What is it I don't like about this song?" | "What is it I don't like about me?"

What's the difference?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #89
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

"What is it I don't like about this song?" | "What is it I don't like about me?"

What's the difference?
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM

the pot = fucking bad ass song
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #90
Banned.

Bincount™: 272

the pot = fucking bad ass song
Ghostwriter's Avatar Ghostwriter
06-21-2007, 09:48 AM

I like this song, it has good style.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #91
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

I like this song, it has good style.
Aerie's Avatar Aerie
07-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Personally, I love this song and I love singing along with MJK.
And now, a message for all those who say we (the people who like this song) are morons - De gustibus non est disputandum. - You shouldn't dispute others' tastes, in musiac as well. if you don't like the song, say it and present sound arguments instead of just calling us stupid.
(hope some of you share my opinion)
Old 07-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #92
Level 2 - Poster

Personally, I love this song and I love singing along with MJK.
And now, a message for all those who say we (the people who like this song) are morons - De gustibus non est disputandum. - You shouldn't dispute others' tastes, in musiac as well. if you don't like the song, say it and present sound arguments instead of just calling us stupid.
(hope some of you share my opinion)
Acid0.1
08-25-2007, 01:03 AM

The Pot is an amazing song, sure the first time I heard it Maynard had a different feel in his voice but it did grow on me eventually and in my opinion all the Tool songs are good in there own different ways.The reason why I found Tool as such a good bad in the first place was because all the songs sounded completely different from the next one, and The Pot fits that discription pretty well.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:03 AM   #93
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

The Pot is an amazing song, sure the first time I heard it Maynard had a different feel in his voice but it did grow on me eventually and in my opinion all the Tool songs are good in there own different ways.The reason why I found Tool as such a good bad in the first place was because all the songs sounded completely different from the next one, and The Pot fits that discription pretty well.
Eulogy33's Avatar Eulogy33
08-29-2007, 04:19 PM

its a good song but....most people feel it was made for the radio and thats it.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #94
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

its a good song but....most people feel it was made for the radio and thats it.
08-31-2007, 06:12 PM

i'm torn on this song, it's good, but it does seem a little mainstream sounding to me. it's not one of my favorites, but there's not a band out there that could even try to match it. i like it, it's just not what i would expect from tool, but then again that's what tool always gives me...the unexpected. it does show off some beautiful lyrical ability from maynard though.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

i'm torn on this song, it's good, but it does seem a little mainstream sounding to me. it's not one of my favorites, but there's not a band out there that could even try to match it. i like it, it's just not what i would expect from tool, but then again that's what tool always gives me...the unexpected. it does show off some beautiful lyrical ability from maynard though.
miketh74's Avatar miketh74
09-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
Very well put....

Tool is constantly evolving with their music. A lot of people think 46 & 2 is played at every concert because of it being their most "popular" song (shallow thinkers). Unfortunately, these so-called fans don't get the personal growth theme to it, which I think coincides with the music evolving and growing. Makes perfect sense why they perform it at almost every show.

The Pot simply points out America's hypocrisies with a muddy finger. It's an awesome song and is very Toolesque. Thanks for stickin' up for it. The musical quality and arrangement is yet another genius masterpiece.

1. Danny's double bass interludes.
2. Maynard's voice range.
3. Justin's bass intro.
4. Adam's just plain bad ass riffs.

I know others can analyze better, but I like the basics just fine.

:)

Wherever you go........there you are.

Last edited by miketh74; 09-07-2007 at 09:02 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #96
caveman

Bincount™: 193

Quote:
Very well put....

Tool is constantly evolving with their music. A lot of people think 46 & 2 is played at every concert because of it being their most "popular" song (shallow thinkers). Unfortunately, these so-called fans don't get the personal growth theme to it, which I think coincides with the music evolving and growing. Makes perfect sense why they perform it at almost every show.

The Pot simply points out America's hypocrisies with a muddy finger. It's an awesome song and is very Toolesque. Thanks for stickin' up for it. The musical quality and arrangement is yet another genius masterpiece.

1. Danny's double bass interludes.
2. Maynard's voice range.
3. Justin's bass intro.
4. Adam's just plain bad ass riffs.

I know others can analyze better, but I like the basics just fine.

Last edited by miketh74; 09-07-2007 at 09:02 PM..
emir7's Avatar emir7
09-21-2007, 05:25 PM

My first complaint was the lack of depth in lyrics, but reading around this forum changed that idea for me. Musically, though, it's just not as enticing as other Tool efforts. So I had two problems with the song, one corrected and the other still remains.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #97
Level 4 - Thinker

My first complaint was the lack of depth in lyrics, but reading around this forum changed that idea for me. Musically, though, it's just not as enticing as other Tool efforts. So I had two problems with the song, one corrected and the other still remains.
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Just forget all you know about music and....Feel the rhytmn...feel the song...

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #98
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world View Post
Fathom the power.......

Old 09-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #99
caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world View Post
Fathom the power.......

Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #100
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

09-23-2007, 04:49 PM

I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #101
Banned.

Bincount™: 4103

I like the pot. So what if it's more mainstream! Fuck! It makes me groove (and others too I'm sure) and thats what matters right?
Headphuq's Avatar Headphuq
09-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuRsOuLsInMoTiOn View Post
Fo Sho man!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #102
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Fo Sho man!
09-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post

You are exactly right. Well thought out and said.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #103
caveman

Quote:

You are exactly right. Well thought out and said.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

fakinjamaican90
09-26-2007, 06:40 PM

i never liked tool all that much untill i heard this song, and then since then ive been listnen to all their other songs. idk, music grows on me. alot of times i dotn liek it at first. a lot of music is real catchy and good the first time, but its songs u gotta really sit and listen to and think about, that are fuckin awesome. this sogn is like all of that in one song. plus i mean who doesent love pot?

hes all like, ganja? nigga please wtf is the matter with your dumbass its justa herb!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #104
Level 3 - Talker

i never liked tool all that much untill i heard this song, and then since then ive been listnen to all their other songs. idk, music grows on me. alot of times i dotn liek it at first. a lot of music is real catchy and good the first time, but its songs u gotta really sit and listen to and think about, that are fuckin awesome. this sogn is like all of that in one song. plus i mean who doesent love pot?

hes all like, ganja? nigga please wtf is the matter with your dumbass its justa herb!
wearethestories's Avatar wearethestories
09-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakinjamaican90 View Post

ignance.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.
Let's drink to their health, then meet with them no more.

9.30.2006 - Washington, D.C.
6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #105
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakinjamaican90 View Post

ignance.
Away with our explosives then! Away with our destroyers! They have no place within our better world... But let us raise a toast to all our bombers, all our bastards, most unlovely and most unforgivable.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
fakinjamaican90
09-27-2007, 04:43 PM

well alright, what do u think he means?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #106
Level 3 - Talker

well alright, what do u think he means?
jasminæ
10-01-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Word. it's a funky, groovy, badass, energetic, cathartic song...and I happen to love it...

I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
HE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
SHE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO, MOVE IT!

WE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
I LIKE .. OH I DID I HAVE I DONE I? DID I DO I LIKE?
I THINK I DID I LIKE.. WE? WHAT ABOUT WE? THEY? THEY? I DID THEY.

OH I GOT IT, I GOT IT I GOT A NEW ONE I GOT A NEW ONE.. THEM?
NO NOT THEM.. DID I SAY THEM OR NOT?

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOV... I'M GONNA SAY THEM

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
UMM WAIT THERES GOTTA BE ANOTHER ONE WE... WE... NOPE.. OH US!
CAN WE DO US LIKE TO?

US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT THATS THE ONE
US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
US LIKE TO.. MOVE IT!

MOVE IT! MOVE ITTT.. MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT MOVE IT

OKAY THEN, WANNA HEAR,
I JUST WANNA TELL YOU A LITTLE STORY THIS LITTLE STORY
THAT MY DADDY USED TO TELL ME HE WAS A KING AS
WELL I WAS BORN, PROBABLY ABOUT 68 YEARS AGO OVER BY
THAT TREE OVER THERE YEH
AND I REMEMBER THINGS CHANGED A LOT IN THOSE
DAYS, IN MADAGASCAR IT WASNT SO COMMERCIAL, YOU KNOW,
THERE WASNT ALL THE FUSS BOUT WHO'S GOT THE LATEST TREE
AND WHAT LEAVES
ARE YOU WEARING AND WHO'S GOT
THE LATEST FUR ON THEIR BACK YOU KNOW,
THOSE DAYS IT WAS JUST ME AND A COUPLE OF THE OTHERS YOU
KNOW, DOING THE JUNGLE BOOGIE YOU KNOW,
JUNGLE BOOGIE... JUNGLE BOOGIE
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

I LIKE TO MOVE IT!

YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS NEVER GONNA END COZ IT IS 3,2,1

NOT BAD EH? I LIKE IT

...it's not all that matters...but it definitely matters...

Last edited by jasminæ; 10-01-2007 at 05:01 AM..
Old 10-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #107

Bincount™: 196

Quote:
Word. it's a funky, groovy, badass, energetic, cathartic song...and I happen to love it...

I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
HE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
SHE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO, MOVE IT!

YOU LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
I LIKE .. OH I DID I HAVE I DONE I? DID I DO I LIKE?
I THINK I DID I LIKE.. WE? WHAT ABOUT WE? THEY? THEY? I DID THEY.

OH I GOT IT, I GOT IT I GOT A NEW ONE I GOT A NEW ONE.. THEM?
NO NOT THEM.. DID I SAY THEM OR NOT?

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOV... I'M GONNA SAY THEM

THEM LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
UMM WAIT THERES GOTTA BE ANOTHER ONE WE... WE... NOPE.. OH US!
CAN WE DO US LIKE TO?

US LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT THATS THE ONE
US LIKE TO.. MOVE IT!

MOVE IT! MOVE ITTT.. MOVE IT! MOVE IT! MOVE IT MOVE IT

OKAY THEN, WANNA HEAR,
I JUST WANNA TELL YOU A LITTLE STORY THIS LITTLE STORY
THAT MY DADDY USED TO TELL ME HE WAS A KING AS
WELL I WAS BORN, PROBABLY ABOUT 68 YEARS AGO OVER BY
THAT TREE OVER THERE YEH
AND I REMEMBER THINGS CHANGED A LOT IN THOSE
DAYS, IN MADAGASCAR IT WASNT SO COMMERCIAL, YOU KNOW,
THERE WASNT ALL THE FUSS BOUT WHO'S GOT THE LATEST TREE
AND WHAT LEAVES
ARE YOU WEARING AND WHO'S GOT
THE LATEST FUR ON THEIR BACK YOU KNOW,
THOSE DAYS IT WAS JUST ME AND A COUPLE OF THE OTHERS YOU
KNOW, DOING THE JUNGLE BOOGIE YOU KNOW,
JUNGLE BOOGIE... JUNGLE BOOGIE
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

I LIKE TO MOVE IT!

YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS NEVER GONNA END COZ IT IS 3,2,1

NOT BAD EH? I LIKE IT

...it's not all that matters...but it definitely matters...

Last edited by jasminæ; 10-01-2007 at 05:01 AM..
jasminæ
10-01-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song
is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
beautiful...this debate should've ended when this enlightened creature sent this post...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #108

Bincount™: 196

Quote:
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song
is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
beautiful...this debate should've ended when this enlightened creature sent this post...
10-01-2007, 04:54 PM

I liked it as well.

But I like Ensurient4Truth's post. Summed up rather well.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #109
caveman

I liked it as well.

But I like Ensurient4Truth's post. Summed up rather well.

GideonBufo's Avatar GideonBufo
10-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.
Yeah compare something like flood or prison sex to the pot, it sounds like a different band. Older fans who are used to tool being that probably wouldn't groove on this.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #110
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdude View Post
It's so different from Tool's other stuff, you can see why the older fans wouldn't take to it. I personally think it's catchy, groovy and a damn fine tune. Justin shows amazing skill on it too, funky ass.
Yeah compare something like flood or prison sex to the pot, it sounds like a different band. Older fans who are used to tool being that probably wouldn't groove on this.
10-02-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GideonBufo View Post
Mehh... I like it a lot, and I groove to prison sex (well... you know...)

It's not the direction I'd like to see them continuing in (and yes, because it's so radio-friendly, so call me an elitist), but it's by no means a bad song.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GideonBufo View Post
Mehh... I like it a lot, and I groove to prison sex (well... you know...)

It's not the direction I'd like to see them continuing in (and yes, because it's so radio-friendly, so call me an elitist), but it's by no means a bad song.

6.07.2007 - Richmond, VA
Peanut's Parents's Avatar Peanut's Parents
12-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I agree, "Vicarious" should've got more air time than "The Pot"
But that's the thing about the "now" mainstream, they play the crap.
There is not one TOOL song that i don't intently listen to and value, but "The Pot" is on the lower end of my favs.
And now is up for a Grammy. Go TOOL, congrats, but NOT FOR THAT SONG.
Sorry, but they have 10 times better songs thats been played on air.

Vicarious
Jambi
Lateralus
H.
and countless more, just naming some of my favs.

Come on, But I am excited about the glory that is coming to TOOL from this album.
"The Pot" is a good song, i enjoy listening to it, but there are WAY better song that you can learn and experience from that TOOL has crafted.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #112
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I agree, "Vicarious" should've got more air time than "The Pot"
But that's the thing about the "now" mainstream, they play the crap.
There is not one TOOL song that i don't intently listen to and value, but "The Pot" is on the lower end of my favs.
And now is up for a Grammy. Go TOOL, congrats, but NOT FOR THAT SONG.
Sorry, but they have 10 times better songs thats been played on air.

Vicarious
Jambi
Lateralus
H.
and countless more, just naming some of my favs.

Come on, But I am excited about the glory that is coming to TOOL from this album.
"The Pot" is a good song, i enjoy listening to it, but there are WAY better song that you can learn and experience from that TOOL has crafted.
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM

i like the song a lot and i never really thought about why...however, i'm new to this posting stuff so my reasons may seem simple and stupid but i feel the need to say something, anyway...first off, the pot reminds me of what Rush does, they work the same themes over many albums, in that i have always thought the pot was just intolerance pt.2- no one is innocent...secondly, the song stands out from the rest of record because it wouldn't have seemed out of place on say 13 steps(and from what i've read so far, most tool fans find apc sort of poppy)...now here's a suggestion, drink a bottle of red wine or two, crank up the pot until you feel it through the floor, and your chest heaves, turn on the tv, sound off, and watch the president and his men talk their heads off. i did this and i realized that the government has always perpetuated the idea that pot was a wmd infiltrating the inner fabric of their interpretation of how we should all live...fuck that, don't listen to what others tell you, think for yourself...those that control the army apparatus always want to tell us how to think and feel...and finally, i remember my dear grandmother from ireland saying over and over to me, " Now don't go calling the kettle black." Eventually i understood what she meant.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #113
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

i like the song a lot and i never really thought about why...however, i'm new to this posting stuff so my reasons may seem simple and stupid but i feel the need to say something, anyway...first off, the pot reminds me of what Rush does, they work the same themes over many albums, in that i have always thought the pot was just intolerance pt.2- no one is innocent...secondly, the song stands out from the rest of record because it wouldn't have seemed out of place on say 13 steps(and from what i've read so far, most tool fans find apc sort of poppy)...now here's a suggestion, drink a bottle of red wine or two, crank up the pot until you feel it through the floor, and your chest heaves, turn on the tv, sound off, and watch the president and his men talk their heads off. i did this and i realized that the government has always perpetuated the idea that pot was a wmd infiltrating the inner fabric of their interpretation of how we should all live...fuck that, don't listen to what others tell you, think for yourself...those that control the army apparatus always want to tell us how to think and feel...and finally, i remember my dear grandmother from ireland saying over and over to me, " Now don't go calling the kettle black." Eventually i understood what she meant.
11-19-2008, 12:45 PM

The pot was the first song I listened to that had temporarily convinced me that 10kdayz was a hoax. The first 30 seconds hurt my balls.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #114
gaufre

Bincount™: 234

The pot was the first song I listened to that had temporarily convinced me that 10kdayz was a hoax. The first 30 seconds hurt my balls.
12-14-2008, 08:48 PM

I don't think it's the worse song on the album, but I really don't care for the lyrics, and to me the music gets a little monotonous. Which is weird because I love swamp song. I also dislike the song because, as others have pointed out, it gets a lot of radio play. And being on the radio isn't the part that I don't like, it's the fact there are people who don't understand Tool, which I hold very near and dear to me, that are going to like the song JUST because it's called The Pot and possibly (or definitely to the untrained ear, ie the casual listener) has lyrics about pot. People like that just piss me off. But the main reason I don't care for the song would be that I don't care for the lyrics, I don't care what secret message is behind them because I still find them rather uninspiring, and I find that the music is a little boring even if I don't compare it to their other songs, just as a straight rock song. I actually enjoy the high singing he pulls off in the beginning though. It made me smile to hear that he still has a vocal range (cause we all know his voice is getting a little tired with age).
But not their worst song...I think Right in Two is the worst (not including segues), but I'm sure I'll catch slack for that.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

I don't think it's the worse song on the album, but I really don't care for the lyrics, and to me the music gets a little monotonous. Which is weird because I love swamp song. I also dislike the song because, as others have pointed out, it gets a lot of radio play. And being on the radio isn't the part that I don't like, it's the fact there are people who don't understand Tool, which I hold very near and dear to me, that are going to like the song JUST because it's called The Pot and possibly (or definitely to the untrained ear, ie the casual listener) has lyrics about pot. People like that just piss me off. But the main reason I don't care for the song would be that I don't care for the lyrics, I don't care what secret message is behind them because I still find them rather uninspiring, and I find that the music is a little boring even if I don't compare it to their other songs, just as a straight rock song. I actually enjoy the high singing he pulls off in the beginning though. It made me smile to hear that he still has a vocal range (cause we all know his voice is getting a little tired with age).
But not their worst song...I think Right in Two is the worst (not including segues), but I'm sure I'll catch slack for that.
usefulidiot227f
12-14-2008, 08:51 PM

On an unrelated note
@ Vein

Rosetta fan?(the band I mean, not a shortened version of Rosetta Stoned) I recognized the Wake/Lift album cover. They're only like one of my favorite bands. And cause I live so close to Philly, I get to see them a bunch.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #116
Level 2 - Poster

On an unrelated note
@ Vein

Rosetta fan?(the band I mean, not a shortened version of Rosetta Stoned) I recognized the Wake/Lift album cover. They're only like one of my favorite bands. And cause I live so close to Philly, I get to see them a bunch.
base metal's Avatar base metal
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM

Why didn't people like the pot?

It was a 'normal' song with a balls out guitar track that failed to pry open 3rd eyes, I guess.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #117
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 4198

It was a 'normal' song with a balls out guitar track that failed to pry open 3rd eyes, I guess.
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
12-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post

I concur.
I liked how succinctly you put it. I read my earlier post, and it sucked. Damn I'm an idiot.

What caught me, then as now, is the fact I like saying the phrase, "Piss on my black kettle."
Plus the guitar track. Balls out!
And I don't need a 3rd eye to feel the song pulse up through my feet, up my legs, past the hips to my spine. And then, just letting the air move me.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #118
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by base metal View Post

I concur.
I liked how succinctly you put it. I read my earlier post, and it sucked. Damn I'm an idiot.

What caught me, then as now, is the fact I like saying the phrase, "Piss on my black kettle."
Plus the guitar track. Balls out!
And I don't need a 3rd eye to feel the song pulse up through my feet, up my legs, past the hips to my spine. And then, just letting the air move me.
12-15-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vein View Post
srsly hoax ?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #119

Bincount™: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vein View Post
srsly hoax ?
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
01-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:

One could easily use this argument for the song Stinkfist... which drew in a lot of Tools loyal followers. (For me it was sober, and eventually the whole lateralus album)

I also have a few friends that cannot tell the difference between Tool and Nickleback. Thats like someone who cant see the difference between black and white... To each his own I guess.

I think the song captures a lot of Tools power, the odd swing in the timing, and more interesting play on words.. And I'm also of the opinion that Tool is not interested in appealing to the mainstream crowd. After all... they have come as far as they have because they create art for themselves, and share it with others.

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #120
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

One could easily use this argument for the song Stinkfist... which drew in a lot of Tools loyal followers. (For me it was sober, and eventually the whole lateralus album)

I also have a few friends that cannot tell the difference between Tool and Nickleback. Thats like someone who cant see the difference between black and white... To each his own I guess.

I think the song captures a lot of Tools power, the odd swing in the timing, and more interesting play on words.. And I'm also of the opinion that Tool is not interested in appealing to the mainstream crowd. After all... they have come as far as they have because they create art for themselves, and share it with others.

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply