opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/08/30 - Englewood, CO - Coors Amphitheater

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Opiate
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 763
Re: 2006/08/30 - Englewood, CO - Coors Amphitheater

the honerable first post, yeah

I was there, section 202 row p, fucking awesome is all I can say. It started out slow but it picked up after Schism. And they'll come back in the new year [crosses fingers for red rocks]
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedzie_Matthews View Post
the honerable first post, yeah

I was there, section 202 row p, fucking awesome is all I can say. It started out slow but it picked up after Schism. And they'll come back in the new year [crosses fingers for red rocks]
maynard did give a scouts honer on that one although one cant help but question the validity of that statement : )

Last edited by UbelNacht; 08-30-2006 at 10:11 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Don't remember the setlist right now! Still on a natural high. I was the bitch right in front on the rail, dead center!!!! It was amazing! Maynard said that they would be back in a year. I can't wait! I'm sure that their setlist will evolve. Not like it matters. I swung on the spiral tonight and it was crazy!!!!!!!! More to come! Is swung a word?
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! That should just about sum it up! second time this year seeing the greatest band ever, and it just keeps getting better!!! When they did Opiate, my mind went into overdrive.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 166

Awesome show. It was hell getting in- fucking lame ass people handling situation. I missed Isis completely. Was in 103 here. Everyone in the band was fantastic.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 13

tonights show sucked hardcore ass. I just know Vegas is going to be a million times better. Why did it suck? damn hicks standing around in the pit like statues, then when you give them a little shove, they look at you like they want to kill you. AND That weak ass sorry pit. I don't like those small circle pits, just move around a little shit. Standing still for 2 straight hours ain't that fun. I never seen so many pussies in my life. We should bring the Street Scene crowd in and show you guys how to have some fun. there was one guy that wanted to start shit with everyone, he was about 3rd row center. And a big fuck you to the idiot behind him...hey, look at me, I'm so fucking cool, I'm going to throw the devil sign 7 times for each song. I felt sorry for the guys with the 1st row reserved seats through 5th rows. They had to try and watch over the pit. I can't wait to get out of Colorado.

note to those attending future shows in this sorry ass venue, they don't even have a scanner to scan the tickets. Those douchebags just flash their light on the ticket and rip it, same for the ticketfast.

Last edited by BlueHalo; 08-31-2006 at 06:27 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

Great f'in show. Lines getting in blew donkey and oppressive security inside. That said, sound down low was great. Ran out to grab a beer during sober, but outside of that was inside and I don't recall the dangling lights at all this evening. Hopefully they run through town again in the spring/summer at Red Rocks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Sec 101 row vv

Last time I saw Tool in Denver it was like Maynard just wasn't into it, but he was definitely happily rocking in this show.

We didn't get a new set list like I was hoping, but the show was still AWESOME. The lights, the intensity, the pure ear piercing, brain vibrating, mind blowing Tool show.

17,000 people is a lot, biggest show I’ve ever seen but people were generally mellow and not pushing… too much.
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

TOOL
w/ ISIS
Englewood, CO
2006-08-30
Fiddler's Green Amphitheater aka in the greedy corporate america, Coors Amphitheater
aprox. 9:06pm

Setlist:
Intro>Stinkfist (extend version)
The Pot
Forty-Six & 2
Jambi
(-) Ions>Schism (extend version - fast middle part)
Rosetta Stoned (No Lost Keys intro)
Opiate>Jam>Opiate
Intro>Drums>Sober
Lateralus
Break, Band sitting on Maynard's platform
Intro>Vicarious
Aenema

P.S. Anarcho-Commie there was no Mantra leading into Schism nor was Merkaba leading into Sober

The crowd sucked at the show. Very, Very disappointing to see soo many f^^king non-useful idiots show up and completely have no clue what TOOL is all about. Also to all the people that love to talk at a concerts, WTF is the point of going to a show like this and yak all night. Go to a sh!tty bar where some mediocre band is playing and talk and get drunk there. Pointless. Think for yourself, Question authority...

The positives tomorrow!
till then "Peace the f^^k ouuttt " Maynardism

Fairtheewell - CO.rey
/ Divide, I wither away]

Last edited by UsefullidioT; 08-31-2006 at 06:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

We were 3rd row behind the pit. I will agree that it looked tame, but after hearing some of the meathead comments from UT, I was happy for the folks who were close and were able to enjoy the show. We had no problems seeing anyone in the band. We stayed in the box seats for most of vicarious to check of the full light show, but the sound was so much better down low.

As far as the scanners go, we went in through the courtyard and had our tickets scanned. Security was a breeze there.

Very few maynardisms. Gave the sheep chant prior to opiate and greeted the crowd early on, but for the most part was pretty quiet. Yet, he was quite animated through the show. Danny is a beast and played very well. Justin was laying down some serious bass and adam sounded good as well. Didn't get to see much of Adams work up close as he was on the other side.

Nice breakdown during Stinkfist and I think it was during Scism that they went into double time between the 1st and 2nd verse
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

GA lawn for me (I was standing on a part that those stupid Korn fans tore up lol). But the atmosphere was fucking great. To all those who said the Fiddler's Green acoustics sucked, sorry guys, you were wrong on this night. The band sounded great. I could hear Maynard quite clearly, Danny's bass drums rocked the place like usual, Adam and Justin were great too.

I absolutely loved the visuals - lasers (esp. Lateralus), projections on the stage as well as behind the band, etc. Maynard was a lot more lively than at the Buell show, he just looked bored back in May.

Opiate was a nice surprise as was Rosetta Stoned in the middle of the set, which sounded a lot better now that I know the lyrics :) Can't wait to see Tool back next year.

edit: Oh yeah, and FUCK THE SECURITY. After they let us in, we waited for over an hour at the steps to the lawn. That little fucker holding us back was lucky to escape alive. Or did he?

Last edited by savelints8; 08-30-2006 at 11:08 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

WOW!!! JUST FUCKING WOW. Second Tool show.

It was fucking great, I was in section 201, row G, seat 10.

I got there early so I could make sure that I saw Isis, they were awesome.

Alright, Tool came on, I pissed my fucking pants. Stinkfist started out the show, great opener, lots of energy. Then came The Pot, It sucked though, cuz everyone was talking when Maynard began the intro, and he used a regular voice. Then came Forty Six & Two, amazing as always. After that was Jambi. Jambi is great live, the visuals owned. Schism started up, with Mantra leading into it. I thought it was Lost Keys though, as I was too struck to even remember the setlist. During the middle of schism, Adam came on stage and started rocking out, and Danny did an amazing fucking solo. Then it was Rosetta, no Lost Keys. RS owned fucking ass.

Now get this, after Rosetta Stoned, Nardo baaahs like he used to at the scientologist (I yelled out "FUCK SCIENTOLOGY" if anyone heard that). Opiate was phenomenal, I'm so glad they played that rather than Right In Two, there was an amazing fucking extension to Opiate. Then Merkaba and Sober, great as ever. Now Lateralus, this is where they busted out the heavy artillery. Some kick ass effects. The ending was the highlight of the show. Then the sitdown. Vicarious had some awesome warping "net of being" video to go with it. Aenema of course, the best thing ever. I think I teared up a little during the song.

Btw, if anyone heard 2 people yelling "RIDE THE SPIRAL" before Lateralus, that was me and my buddy.

UsefullidioT, they might not have been the exact versions, but they were intros to the songs. I call them that because that's what the intro's to the songs are.

Some maynardisms:

"We'll be back in the begining of the new year...scouts only."

The "BAAAAHHH" of course! I feel so lucky to have heard that. Then Maynard was like "here's an old joke for ya..." he waited a few secs and went into Opiate.

After Vicarious he said "Good night, peace....the fuck out."

At the end of The Pot, he sang "Eyeballs deep in bloody water, pupils deep in muddy water, ganja police..."

During Aenema, he once again replaced L. Ron Hubbard with Rupert Murdoch, like at the last show here in Denver. It wasn't that clear then, but it was perfectly clear this time.

Btw, I noticed that I was the only person out of everyone around me who knew Rosetta Stoned. I really got into it in the first verse, and my friend was like "sing it chris" and that jsut blew me off course, so I shut up.

Last edited by anarcho-commie; 08-31-2006 at 06:31 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Unfortunately, I have to rain down on all the natural high's involved. While certain things about the show like the band's energy (they were very into it) and Aenema (how does a majority of the crowd know all the lyrics?) helped to move it into a "decent" category as far as overall concerts, I will have to say it was the worst Tool concert I have been to thus far.

Two main reasons: the crowd and the acoustics. Don't let people fool you with "it sounded great, everything was clear". All I heard was a ton of audio clipping through this "clear mix". The biggest problem is the opressive noise ordinaince associated w/ the venue. Anytime Maynard showed extra inflection, volume clipping. Band meeting for a crescendo? Clipping. Ugh... Also, how am I supposed to get into "The Pot" when all I hear is a tinny guitar coming out of a seemingly 3" speaker, instead of the thunderous chug of a pretty cool sludge riff. I wish Adam could hear himself from where I stood (slightly off center, on the hill). It was utterly annoying to have to strain to hear his meandering lead in songs like Sober.

I mentioned the crowd. Don't get me wrong, it was mostly a lot of us internet lurking closet Tool fans, but a lot of it was also the "FUCK YEAH, TOOL" x 20 during songs. Why would you want to hear yourself scream the name of the band instead of the music being played? Also, I don't really care, that you care, to shout your opinion of the opening band, and how they suck, when we are waiting 30min. in line just to get the fuck inside (ISIS was playing the whole time, seriously, 30min.). Truly, fuck Fiddlers Green a.k.a. Coors Ampitheatre.

As I said, great energy, and the crowd was genuinely rabid to see Tool, so that does make up for a lot, and I did find myself enjoying it more than I should have. Two quick notes. The extended jams of Stinkfist and Opiate are a nice breather, but I don't care for the new double time section of Schism. It seemed pretty forced and messes w/ the dynamic of the song too much to be cohesive.

A decent teaser. But please. God. Give us Red Rocks. And some other mainstays (Pushit/The Patient/Prison Sex). Ok. I'm done blabbing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 AM   #15
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

I could not believe the line to get in at the south entrance, which wrapped around the parking lot twice, but I refused to stand in it...just went right to the entrance, bypassing the line. The security was loose, and they scanned my ticketfast ticket, no ripping it ??

dagoogkfather - where were you sitting or what were you on?

The show was absolutely amazing and flawless. Where I was sitting, sec 203, pretty much dead center of the venue, the visuals and sound were perfect. So clear and crisp. The wind made the sound circle a bit, but it sounded great. Loud, clean, perfect, except I didn't vibrate with the bass that much. The crowd was very well-behaved, saw some people taken out by security during Isis, which also sounded good, except for the growling parts. The crowd was mellow for the most part, cheering, a little dancing, and a lot of participation during most songs.

Loved Opiate, with the sheep sounds before...prefect intro to that song. I expected the stage to show more visuals after reading the reviews, but only really saw the small wall behind the band, and the stage seemed to merely reflect what was on there...perhaps it would've been better if the stage was a mirror, slightly slanted, but wouldn't the band fall off?

The lights were good, lasers were as well, but I don't think it had the effect they were hoping for with the wind blowing the smoke out so fast. 3 UFO-type structures near the end, but no x-mas lights hanging from them? I loved the video to Rosetta. I loved Rosetta. After seeing the show at the Buell a few months ago, I think the only addition was Opiate (aka "Jesus Christ" :o) - and no "pound of flesh") and the only change was the sped-up middle to Schism. And "fuck Rupert Murdoch..." I would have liked more of a variation, but it rocked. Everyone was tight. I think they played for 1 hr 45 mins? After the show, we just chilled until the crowd was gone and they kicked us out. Nice 15 or so minutes to sit and just take it all in.

I really hope the scout's honor will hold true, although I don't know which "new year" Maynard was referring to. Thanks Tool, for another awesome show!

Last edited by ladycommish; 08-31-2006 at 08:14 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 06:19 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1202

Great show. The band was crisp and had a ton of energy. Couldn't see the visuals all that well due to being so close, we were in sec 103 row NN. Not a huge fan of the venue, but due to our seats the sound was great. There isn't one bad I could say about the band or their performance, now the crowd at the show are a whole different subject all together. Also the damn line was the longest I've ever seen. WE got to our seats just in time to catch Isis's last song and they sounded kick ass.

The crowd was full of morons. The whole a show a girl behind me would drunkenly scream "FUCKING MAYNARD, YOU MOTHER FUCKER" every time there was a lull in the music, just the same thing over and over, even when he wasn't on the stage. Then on the way out idiots were climbing the iron gate to get out. They were lucky one of them did fall and impale themselves on it. Those who were too weak to make it over the fence tried to drunkenly knock it down. Pretty pathetic all around, I was actually embarrassed to be from colorado due to these complete idiots.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

Parking was a mess(I hoped a curb and the left the car on the side of a road), the line to get in was horrible( I cut right to the front, no one objected), too many high fives mid song( I have learned to tune the crowd out). It was a good show, nothing will top the shows from 7-8 years ago.

Karl
11.15.96, 11.19.96, 03.04.97, 07.04.97, 07.15.97, 07.16.97, 07.18.97, 07.20.97, 07.22.97, 07.26.97, 07.14.98, 07.15.98, 07.21.98, 07.22.98, 07.23.98, 05.18.01, 07.01.01, 09.07.07, 09.08.01, 09.15.01, 09.16.01, 07.19.02, 08.30.02, 09.01.02, 10.18.02, 05.10.06, 08.30.06, 6.28.10, 6.29.10
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 07:18 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Yeah, the fan response was a bit dissapointing. It's almost like people think it's uncool to clap and scream in between songs. I was in the pit, and I expected the folks around me to give a little more love. So, in that respect, I agree with the "weak-ass pit" statement earlier.

However, "moshing" at TOOL is lame. You want to jump around and pump your fist - great. If you bump into people while you're doing it - no problem. If you're in the pit with no shirt, smelling, sweating, and stinking, pushing guys and girls around to show what a man you are, your a f*g. And the a-hole who started sh*t with me got ejected for it. Just because their are no chairs, it doesn't give a drunk frat boy license to invade other people's space. I didn't pay $100 for my pit ticket to interact with anyone other than the band.

I wouldn't run back to see this tour again. The Lateralus tour was just way more enjoyable from a visuals and set list standpoint. Still tho, the best show on the road today.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 07:29 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

We sat in section 101, row CC. Probably 10? rows from the pit, but all the way on the right side. Our view of awesome Danny was usually obstructed by a huge square pole. Our view of Justin was amazingly close (20 yards?). He is an incredible bassist. As at the Buell concert, he played lead on two occasions. On one or two occasions, he played chords - which was totally cool. He's incredible.

Maynard was very active. His vocals were pretty flawless. We were to the right of the big stacks, so I'm sure that affected our sound. It seemed cleaner than I thought it would be, but insufficient volume.

Being so close made me realize even more how Danny dominates the music. He drives and carries many songs. Thinking back on it, I wish I would have concentrated on him more. My eyes seemed to always flow back and forth from Justin to Maynard. Maynard looked like he was playing a small keyboard or synthesizer a couple of times. Very impressive. Adam was farthest from us. He sounded clean and accurate, but not loud enough.

The crowd around us seemed to know all the lyrics to the older stuff, but not the Lateralus era stuff, and 50% of the 10,000 days tracks. They sang really loud (and off key) to Opiate and Ænima, but were completely quiet other times allowing us to actually hear Maynard. We were the 5th and 6th seat from the far right aisle, so there were 4 seats to the right of us. But there were 6 people crammed into those 4 seats. When we arrived (late because of a 45 minute line) we had to ask them to move out of our seats. It only took two songs before they had crowded back into our space, headbanging and jamming with both arms in front of our view. I grabbed a guy's arms and moved them over at least 10 times when he struck us or stayed in my way too long, but he never got the message the whole night. Then his chick splashed half her beer on me while wildly dancing. We had rude and inconsiderate neighbors which diminished my experience by at least 25%. I was constantly distracted by them instead of being able to soak in the band. Dude - they killed my buzz.

Complaining again, the nazi crew who shined flashlights in your eyes for about a minute and a half every time you took a picture with your cell phone. These photos are blurry blobs of light at best, not worth getting excited over. Someone threw a glow stick up in the air and it hit one of them which was funny. But it didn't hit the worst offender which was a dishwater blonde chick up on the platform about 20 feet to the right of the stage. She sucked.

Other obvious complaint was the line to get in. Seriously took us 45 minutes. We missed all of Isis, which I really wanted to see. That is bullshit my friend. Fucking fix it.

Heard a funny report from others in my group who sat up in section 205. They exited out the very back exit above the grass. Apparently there was an old antique wagon wheel that was 10 feet in diameter. A funny drunk guy - with eyes lit up, ran to it, hoisted it up and proclaimed "WHO WANTS A BIG WHEEL?!?!?" "DOES ANYONE WANT THIS BIG WHEEL?!" "LOOK AT THIS BIG WHEEL?" "COME ON, I'LL SEND IT TO YOU!" He then prepared to roll it down the grass hill where it surely would have mowed the crowd down and hurt them. It must have weighed 150 pounds. Several bystanders stalled him long enough until security arrived to de-wheel him.

Then there was the drunk guy soliciting breasts. Scanning the exiting crowds, yelling that he really wanted some titties. Hard titties, soft titties, fake titties, big titties, any kind of titties!

It was a great event for me, much anticipated. I would put up with a lot of shit and inconvenience just to get a glimpse of one song. This was my second time seeing the best band mankind has produced. I hope they do return next year, and I fucking hate Coors Amphitheatre. Redrocks, Pepsi Center? I wonder if this is their last tour. If I were them I wouldn't do it as much as they have been. But I'm very thankful (not to god, of course) for every minute I've spent with them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Great show, no complaints. Basically, the same setlist as the Buell show but with a better stage and Maynard was more animated. The fans where we were (sec 203), were polite and into the music. Band sounded flawless and I always enjoy the extended songs and intros. Especially, the extended Opiate.

Heard a rumor that the doors opened an hour later and that caused the long lines. Anyone else hear that? Missed half of the opening act but we weren't there to see them.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Well this was my 16th TOOL show, and it was certainly a good time i dont understand why they cant change the setlist or wtf blair is talking about cuz its the same, but all the songs are definately classic. To the jackass from California that says these people in the pit are pussies you are an idiot i was in Salt Lake the night before and people were hitting eachother with chairs and Maynard almost left, and didnt move around hardly at all at that show. People that just ram eachother at TOOL really arent that cool, contrary to popular beliefs its not a contest to see who can be the biggest idiot, and also Maynard clearly hates it. Thank you goodnight!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

This was my 4th Tool show, and I thought it was great. I thought it sounded fantastic, but maybe that's because I was in the center. (Section 102, Row FF) I'm really happy they added Opiate to the list, too bad there weren't more songs that they hadn't play at the Buell, but oh well.

I'm pretty pissed at myself because I had VIP parking and couldn't find the damn lot, and I drove right by it! It was in a different spot for Family Values, so we kept looking in that direction. Oh well. Traffic sucked either way. We had some VIP passes to the lounge, too, but.. it was kind of lame. A lot less wait for a beer, though.

Only complaints were: 1) The kid behind my boyfriend that asked him to keep his arms out of the air. What?! Are you joking?? I'm hoping that this was his first concert and that he didn't know any better. 2) The strange lady doing funky dances in our aisle. Although, it was pretty funny. I believe she'd taken some X or something. Had to.. nobody's that weird.

Also, my ticket was scanned and nobody ripped it up. Fiddler's is not my favorite venue by far, but it was a great show. I hope they come back to Red Rocks, but only if my seat it close! (Otherwise, the sound kind of sucks. Beautiful scenery, though.)

'You believe me don't you? Please believe what I just said.'
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 11:34 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

"Only complaints were: 1) The kid behind my boyfriend that asked him to keep his arms out of the air. What?! Are you joking?? I'm hoping that this was his first concert and that he didn't know any better."

lmao i was the kid behind ur boyfriend and i didnt tell him to keep his arms out of the air i asked him to stop resting them on the top of his head because me and the girl next to me couldnt see anything for 1/2 the show

and if u have a problem with that next time ur at a concert have some1 completely block your view and then tell me how u feel

and yeah the girl dancing in the aisle was fairly funny, good entertainment for when they were between songs

only complaints here were the fact that it took so long to get in and Isis wasnt good, at all
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

The venue was by far the worst I've ever seen Tool at. I can put up with a lot (and am willing) to see a worthwhile show, but the sound was so bad at Coor's that I'll never go back unless I'm in the very front. Well, let me rephrase that. The problem was that the sound wasn't incredibly terrible, some of it sounded very good (say Maynard), but other parts were drowned out (say Adam). I believe this is because of three things: 1) I was on the lawn, 2) The "echo" speakers on the lawn only put out treble and some mid and 3) and the cut-off at the venue. The 'cut-off' is due to noise prohibitions, so instead of getting a full force Tool show, the levels were topped off . . . hence no Adam. Hit a solo note and it goes up . . . and then gets muddled in with the rhythm.

People have mentioned this and so will I. What a lame crowd. You will always have meatheads at the show, but with a new album dropping, it always brings in more. Suffice it to say, the crowd was annoying but tolerable. That's the first time I've said that about a Tool crowd. Musically, things were pretty dead on.

I think opening with some older stuff is a good idea since most of the new stuff seems to go over people's head live. Too long I suppose. Anyway, the show picked up with 46&2 and certainly peaked with Lateralus. I'm a pretty firm believer that the Lateralus tours were the band's best live experiences asthe songs off that album tend to build to a beautiful sonic intensity (Disposition-Reflection--Triad being a treat). The newest stuff still feels pretty vacant to me. Then again, it could be the set list is just beginning to bore me.

I wasn't feeling much of the band's jamming intros. They either seemed to go nowhere and do nothing (which is fine for ambience), but Adam didn't seem to be able to catch a groove in their first improv part. Eventually, he just hit a damn note and kicked a pedal. Bye bye jam, hello next song.

Visually, I love the new stuff for the songs off of 10,000 Days. I think that the visual setup was pretty weak compared to previous tours (even the mini-tour this year). The stage simply dwarfed the screens. Still, it was unique and inventive and provided a couple of spectacular shots with the white floor. The two biggest highlights for me coming at the beginning with Stinkfist (and its stripped down visuals) and the very end of Aenima when the whole stage goes white. Great way to end.

Overall, the show was decent, but it was my least favorite Tool experience out of the seven I've seen. This is only marginally the bands "fault" (set list) and very much the result of the venue and the stupid fucking staff that came with it. When someone who has been sitting outside since noon end up in line behing me who arrive @ 5 . . . well, something is wrong (this was because of the line mismanagement by the staff who moved people from the back to the front). Then once inside, staff made us wait in line again (sound check bs, probably not their "fault, but the asshole who works for Coors didn't have to be such a c**k tease about it). The drink lines were horribly long and they ran out of water before Tool came on (don't quote me on the,water thing, that's just what I overheard). Good news was that shirts didn't sell out and the line for that was nonexistent. Thanks for coming guys, but please don't ever go back their again. I look forward to seeing you in the New Year. I'll attend. Scouts honor. And yes, I'd probably go back to Coor's, even though I swore last night that I wouldn't. Can't let a bad venue ruin a great show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

It seemed pretty forced and messes w/ the dynamic of the song too much to be cohesive.

EXACTLY, Amen to that. I saw them in Detroit during the Mini-tour and thought the same thing. The double time takes the passion out of the song. The slow buildup which allows the song to develop in those parts so it can passionately release.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I was in section 103, closer to section 102. The show was great. The sound was better than expected, not quite like the mini tour show at Temple Buell but descent. Visuals were amazing. I loved the opiate jam and the other litte segues they did. I think it was better than the mini tour show. Good job Tool. I hope to see them next year.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #27
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4nnon_fodder View Post
I was in section 103, closer to section 102. The show was great. The sound was better than expected, not quite like the mini tour show at Temple Buell but descent. Visuals were amazing. I loved the opiate jam and the other litte segues they did. I think it was better than the mini tour show. Good job Tool. I hope to see them next year.
I agree...you can tell they have definitely improved since the "warm-up" at the Buell.

And after reading reviews, it seems the sound quality and crowd behavior obviously differs depending on where you were standing. I have been to Fiddler's about 7-10 times, and this was one of the best sounding shows I have been to there. I have never sat on the lawn, but heard it's always bad. I think as long as you're not too close or too far away or too much off to one side, the sound is great.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #28
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 4

maynardism
mjk: "baaaaahh!"
crowd: "baaaaaaaahh!"
mjk: "baaaaahh!"
crowd: "baaaaaaaahh!"
mjk: "it's an old one, but it's a classic"

personally, i didn't 'bah' and was a little offended.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHalo View Post
tonights show sucked hardcore ass. I just know Vegas is going to be a million times better. Why did it suck? damn hicks standing around in the pit like statues, then when you give them a little shove, they look at you like they want to kill you. AND That weak ass sorry pit. It only held like 300-400. I never seen so many pussies in my life. there was one guy that wanted to start shit with everyone, he was about 3rd row center. And a big fuck you to the idiot behind him...hey, look at me, I'm so fucking cool, I'm going to throw the devil sign 7 times for each song. I felt sorry for the guys with the 1st row reserved seats through 5th rows. They had to try and watch over the pit. I can't wait to get out of Colorado.

note to those attending future shows in this sorry ass venue, they don't even have a scanner to scan the tickets. Those douchebags just flash their light on the ticket and rip it, same for the ticketfast.

they did scan, but that doesnt matter anyways. you cant judge a show based on how good the pit was, especially when the band is tool which isnt moshing music anyways. its far more important to pay attention to the band and the show ITSELF, which were both amazing. They played really well and i enjoyed all the little additions to the show. The lights were great and surprisingly the sound for an outdoor venue was really good. The acoustics at that place are pretty good. The show was amazing, with or without a fucking pit.

the venue itself is not horrible... but its not so sloped so you feel really far back when you are on the lawn. Meh, i could still see alright, except when some idiots would cut in front of us to jump the fence. it didnt bother me when they were standing there for a few seconds and then went over, but when you sit there three songs to figure out if there is a security guard there or not, kicking two of my friends away so they couldnt see, that is just rude, no way around it. other than that no complaints and the show was amazing.

tool is the best band ever. i find myself just wanting to go back and not do anything else but see tool over and over again. last night was my second time this year seeing them, and they were on both times. they all are so amazingly talented and add so much to the band. we are really fortunate we could see these geniuses in person.

Last edited by watch the weather change; 08-31-2006 at 02:51 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #30
Level 2 - Poster

I was on the lawn and the sound sucked ass up there. Visuals were still spectacular and it was worth the price of admission for sure, but prolly ranks third of 3 on Tool experiences. I think they played better than May and the graphics were improved, but I Tool at the Buell ruined me for any other venue--the screens filled my field of vision and the sound shook my soul in that place!

Crowd was fine except for the bushy haired dyke that parked right in front of me.

Rosetta Stoned needs lost keys as an intro.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Musically and visually stunning, fabulous warm summer night. Muttonheads singing along to every song except Rosetta Stoned. I had a couple extra tickets that I ended up giving away because I couldn't find any buyers, even at below face. That was cool, I made someone happy and I'm fortunate I won't be going broke over it. I will not be going back to the Coors Amphetheatre. That venue is run by leeches. 45.00 for a tshirt? bullshit! I am suprised the band even played there, it is so unTool-like. You can feel the corporate greed vibes permeating the place. Its set in a business park, for chrissakes. BUT, I saw Tool on a warm summer night. I can get over everything else.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

great show , great. not as loud as the Buell, but it works right? alot of positives:

great stage/visuals
the wind was pretty cool, added to the show
they're coming back!
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

"We'll be back in the begining of the new year...scouts only."

That'd be "scout's honor"...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

The concert was ok, I just saw the same setlist at The Gorge, which sounded 100X better than here. I was in Sec. 203 and teh crowd seemed to be into it. My only complaint is the girl who decided to get on top of her boyfriends shoulder because the little princess couldn't see. Oh well he got off after some complaining. Oh yeah, I had no problem with all you Colorado HIPPIES, no one seemed to not enjoy my smoke.
"All you have to do is to tell them (the people) they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering

Last edited by greenie67; 09-01-2006 at 10:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #35
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentosman42 View Post
lmao i was the kid behind ur boyfriend and i didnt tell him to keep his arms out of the air i asked him to stop resting them on the top of his head because me and the girl next to me couldnt see anything for 1/2 the show
Okay, I apologize. I get my view blocked all the time because I'm only 5'2". I can relate. It's pretty funny you posted right after me on this, though :)

Sighclone, I don't think Coors has anything to do with T-shirt sales. I bought a shirt at the Buell for $45. I'm pretty sure that's all Tool sales management. But, I could be wrong...

'You believe me don't you? Please believe what I just said.'
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Finally recovering from the Tool show wednesday night in Denver. :)

Great band. Tool was EXCELLENT. Very nice.
Fiddlers/Coors theatre was the only downside. If you're not at around the 15th row center then the sound in that place really starts going to shit. We were up on the lawn and the sound swirling (low volume + wind) and the clipping was crap. The clipping was really bad. Sound ordinances there are the worst. 'Vicarious' for example.... cool intro builds up to all instruments pounding into that first note of the jam together AND IT GET'S CLIPPED OFF 'cause the decibals peaked. WTF! BS! DEATH TO FIDDLERS GREEN. LONG LIVE TOOL!
Tool was really into it and they played a very fkn great show. Spot on. Tool sounded/looked kick ass. Fkn AMAZING!
So besides the lower volumes and clipping required by law at Fiddlers/Coors (which isn't Tool's fault) it was an excellent show. So impressive. They played about 1 hr, 45 mins.
I'll never go to Fiddlers/Coors theatre again though.

Maynard said "See you again in the new year... Scouts honor."
Hopefully at Red Rocks next time. See you there. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

The venue does suck, I've seen two shows there now. We had to wait for an hour to get in. I was a little frustrated with some of the people who had lawn tickets, as they were trying to push and shove everyone to be a little closer. I even said once, "Don't worry, I won't make your spot worse."

We were in 103, row LL, at the VERY left end. When TOOL came out, we couldn't even see Maynard. Luckily, people were generous and didn't mind most of the row moving to the right so we could see the whole band. We were disappointed with our view at first, but we walked to the lawn once the show was over and realized that the view and sound was definitely better where we were. Well, we guessed it was anyway. Heh.

I love this band. If people are jerks or something else doesn't go smooth, I try to ignore it. The show isn't about the jerks or the venue or even about me, it's about the experience that the band shares with us. It is an amazing experience and I will never tire of seeing them play live.

I hope they come to Red Rocks, too. I saw APC there and it was incredible. If APC was so great, I can only imagine how seeing TOOL there will be. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Got there early, waited in line outside...finally in the venue...waited outside the actual amphitheater. But while waiting out there I was treated to the last 20min or so of Tool's soundcheck, which made the anticipation for the show even greater.

The show was great. Isis was a better opener than Meshuggah back in 2002, but their sound was a little off, too much bass I think (frequency not instrument). I was afriad the mix would be the same for Tool, but their sound was great, other than the vocals drifting in and out once in a while.

Visuals were, as always, breathtaking, and one reason I keep coming back to see Tool. Chet Zar is an amazing artist and deserves a lot of credit for setting the atmosphere and expressing moods.

The band nailed it. Instrumentation was near flawless, big credit to Adam, Danny, and Justin (nice one handed 46&2 intro by Justin). Maynard sounded like he was on all night, it was tough to tell with 17,000 people screaming the lyrics all around you, but what I could hear was spot on.

Pumped to see them in the New Year, (Was Maynard ever a scout?) I've been dying to see H. live and hope that the next time.

Maynardism: "Domo arigato...Good Evening"
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgÆtory View Post
Was Maynard ever a scout?
From what I understand he joined the US Army in '82, and was a member of the US Military Academy (West Point) in '84.
So, yeah he is certainly a boy scout of sorts. ;)
Therefore I'm takin' his word on this whole "scouts honor" thing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Great Show! Terrible venue! Ok, first the negative- I have managed to avoid "Fiddlers Green/Coors" my entire life, now I know why. The line was rediculous, first an hour outside, then another hour once inside. $8.00 for warm pisswater. Lame decibel limit thingy, could not "feel" the music, which is huge with Tool's amazing melodies. GA lawn, not quite the Temple Buell, but luckily we were in the front row of GA up against fence. Was cool until my friends kid who is 9 (his 1st show, Tool, how cool) almost got smashed into the fence when the silly monkeys behind us on the hill/lawn started moshing and falling into us. Even worse was the monkey next to me screaming the lyrics to Stinkfist, thankfully that was pretty much the only song the poser monkey knew. The monkeys really looked confused when Opiate came on, had no idea as to the rare treat they were witnessing, poor monkeys.
This was my 3rd Tool show, 2002 in Colo Springs, May @ Temple Buell. Regret I did not get into Tool until 99-2000, otherwise I would have 30 shows to my credit by now. Have seen APC 2x, magness and Red Rocks. I would KILL to see Tool @ Red Rocks. Hopefully that chance wiil present itself someday.
As for TOOL, that was the most animated I have ever seen Maynard, he was groovin' hard all night, hard to peel your eyes away from him. Danny was on as usual, he is amazing. Adam and Justin seemed more intoi it as well, all in all the band was tight and as mentioned in an earlier post, you could hear the diiference compared to May @ Temple Buell. The visuals, imho, by far the best I have seen, especially Lateralus and Vicarious, wow. Opiate was certainly a treat, considering the rest of the set seemed too commercial and mainstream. I miss them playing diff stuff every night, never knowing what to expect. In 2oo2 they opened w/ Cold and Ugly followed by Commando by The Ramones, now that is a setlist.
Bottom line, despite all of the negatives I found myself oblivious to everything, existing in my own little "Tool bubble" and digesting every note and visual as if it were my last. BRAVO. TOOL RULES, BEST BAND EVER!!!

...Evolve or become stagnant and die...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: