opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 06. Parabol
User Name
Password
Old 02-17-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Schism/Parabol/Parabola?

Obviously Parabol and Parabola are connected but I think it's a possibilty Schism is connected to Parabol/Parabola. Or maybe it's just a coincidence they all go good together, to me at least. Well first we have Schism, which means a religious community breaking up into smaller branches. Well then I think Parabola is a Rejoicing happy song. And The hard outro to Schism to me is like the ''temple toppling over'' and Parabol is rebuilding it. Thus Parabola goes perfectly after Schism. (My kitty just hopped up on my lap and layed down, hes so cute lol well anywho...) ''We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment'' The precious moment is the topple rebuilt and the scars removed from the previous. Well I had this thought the other day while riding the bus home listening to Parabol/Parabola and I just wanted to share it with you. Maybe I'm just thinking a little too outside the box.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:39 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Man, I hope Kitty dies.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Schism Parabol/Parabola

First off, gmoore you an %%$$##^!!!! A cat is a being, and entity of life, how dare you marre the owner's joy?

Secondly, I think that Schism is definetely different from Parabol/Parabola. P/P go together!!! You can't break them apart, I mean they flow right into each other on the album. But, I do see your connection a bit, especially with Schism's intro. But I think that Schism is primarily about lack of communication and how that tears apart humans who are (or who were once) connected.

I don't think people give Parabol enough credit. It is one of the most beautiful songs ever. Especially Danny's subtle, yet perfectly placed percussions and Maynard's voice is just so beautiful. The guitars are consistent and expressive, as usual.

Well, that's it here.

Oh yeah, kudos to that earth-shattering guitar solo at the end of Parabola! When Parabola starts, my subconscious knows that there is a huge pay off at the end when I hear that song.

Yeah, now that's it!

__=__
Old 02-20-2003, 05:36 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I know I'm fucking retarded...

I just think so differently than everybody else. I felt like typin something. I know its so very very improbable they are connected at all. well, see y'all later. My cheerios ae gettin soggy.

And hey! My cats the coolest hes beaten up every other damn cat in the neighborhood. They all run from him.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 260
actually i agree with you... i didnt see the connection before but now that i think about it....
Old 03-12-2003, 03:17 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18
1. A separation or division into factions.

(a)A formal breach of union within a Christian church.
(b)The offense of attempting to produce such a breach.

3. Disunion; discord.

is what websters.com sais for Schism. and i can see what you are saing on this I hat the same thought last week but I saw first "Schism" as the falling apart that "The Grudge" as a time when the 2 parts are not speeking or are fighting, and lats Parabol(a) as the reunion that the 2 bouth wanted from the start. othe songs might fit in to this story but im too lazy to work all that out
Old 04-08-2003, 02:09 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

You guys really have a point here.
http://atene.provincia.parma.it/~ssr...s/parabol0.gif
This is a parabol. You see three sections. On the negative side of the y-axis, there is a line that comes from a point that is endlessly high, heading down towards point Z, which is is a breaking point, where the angle of the line is zero. This is what Schism is. The breaking point in the relation. A fight perhaps. Anyhow, it must be solved with communication.
From this viewpoint, you could say that the story ends well, because after point Z, the line rises again towards an endlessly high point. (Visuallised in the video by the Burning Eye putrifying the guys body? Perhaps.)

But then again, over-analysing...
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
from what I get of this, schism seems to me to figuratively fit between the line between parabol and parabola.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:55 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

maby its nothing, maby they did it to be differnt insteed of being one song,
maby its every thing a hidden message.

maby u think right
maby u over think.

I doubt we will ever find out, its all looked away in there heads,
i wanna crack them open and steal there knowledge but thats takes away the fun in life :D

i think parabol is under rated also, with out parabola loose's pretty every thing.

what em i sayen its all good cheer just like to share my idea's
when is it to much?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 4
Re: Schism/Parabol/Parabola?

Maybe* my friend, maybe*.

Talescraper, if it's three parts then it doesn't work, because I think Mantra and Schism were obviously meant for eachother.

Especially since 30 seconds of it is in the beginning of the video..
Old 02-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I would like to agree with talescraper. MJK and his "homies" are so damn smart. I'm sure MJK is using parabol in three ways metaphorically. One would be that he uses the title to show a mathematical negativity to neutral to positivity. All a parabol is a line that curves from a positive number on a chart to 0 then to a negative. The second would be the three points in a conflict or dessimation of worlds. The initial fight or contempt, the seperation and down fall, and then the rebuilding. I cannot remember what the third one was that i had thought of at the beginning of this so, meh. Anyway, that is just my opinion. MJK has such a high level of thinking no one truly knows what is going on inside that mans head. He is a musical Shakespeare of the new era.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

For all we know parabol and parabola isnt connected. But i think it is... but we never knoooooow
Old 02-29-2004, 02:55 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Well, I don't think Schism is connected to tracks six and seven, although you probably could connect it somehow.

Parabol is an A short of Parabola. One. It also happens to be track six, which is the number of man, or imperfection. Seven, one more (a?), is the number of perfection. I look at Parabol and Parabola a sort of extended metaphor for the "step into perfection." Parabol is great; you listen to it, and by the end of the song your mind is in a very calm and open state. The last line, "All this pain is an illusion," seems to me to be a sort of epiphany, and after that Parabola fades in. From what I read a few replies up, a parabol is sort of a part of a parabola, or something close to that. It's related closely. Such is also true for six and seven, Man and God, imperfection and perfection. Of course, these are also just symbols for something higher, deeper, and much more meaningful. Understand for yourself, because that is the only way to truly understand.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #14
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i think they are somehow connected... i know that when i want to listen parabol(a) i first have to listen to schism... it's just so naturaly... i don't know... they fit together real nice..
Old 08-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodagoth
He is a musical Shakespeare of the new era.

I would like to take this time to say that Shakespeare is not a person, and that is the collective work of ceased literature by Britian. They thought it was rebel communication or something and banned it all.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

bump. i think this is an interesting point.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6n2 View Post
Obviously Parabol and Parabola are connected but I think it's a possibilty Schism is connected to Parabol/Parabola. Or maybe it's just a coincidence they all go good together, to me at least. Well first we have Schism, which means a religious community breaking up into smaller branches. Well then I think Parabola is a Rejoicing happy song. And The hard outro to Schism to me is like the ''temple toppling over'' and Parabol is rebuilding it. Thus Parabola goes perfectly after Schism. (My kitty just hopped up on my lap and layed down, hes so cute lol well anywho...) ''We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment'' The precious moment is the topple rebuilt and the scars removed from the previous. Well I had this thought the other day while riding the bus home listening to Parabol/Parabola and I just wanted to share it with you. Maybe I'm just thinking a little too outside the box.
If that's what you're thinking, I would say that "Lateralus" is more linked to "Parabola", just that "Parabola" is based around a metaphor, where as "Lateralus" is, well, "Lateralus"!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:55 AM   #18
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

The album is constructed in such a way that it is possible to link any track with any other, except Ticks and leaches.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3208

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiraMirabilis View Post
The album is constructed in such a way that it is possible to link any track with any other, except Ticks and leaches.
Doesn't "Ticks and Leeches" connect with "The Patient"? That's what I thought, atleast...
Old 11-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Obviously all the tracks have some sort of common ground... which is why they all fall into the same album.
I love Lateralus because its like a deck or tarot cards (hear me out)... the combination of different cards have different meanings. You can compare Parabol/a to Schism... you can compare Ticks & Leeches to Disposition... you can compare them all, and find a new beautiful meaning each time.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 67

I think the ultimate schism, is that of the jedi
Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie72 View Post
I think the ultimate schism, is that of the jedi
whoa, theres no room for star wars on a tool site
Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #23
On Probation

Bincount™: 191

ok. lateralus is like a journey. the whole cd means something. they all connect.

does anyone else feel more "whole" after listening to this cd?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

as a word is a greek word that exists thousands of years we still use it here .parabola is the word in plural form ,i dont think its couicidence.It comes from 2 words combined and its very difficult for me to translate.When you want to take your drivers licence you have to pay something to the state ,here , so you buy a parabol and the money goes to the state...It s something instead of paying ,another way of paying.Parabol is a greek word too with a whole diffent meanning .Christ was talking with parabols by telling a story that meant something different from the exact words and had a bigger meanning ...I want to say here that its not my oppinion for the songs just the meaning of the titles and the refer to christ is an example ...Hope i helped
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Mistake in the copy paste: parabola refers to the plural form of the greek word parabolo
and goes with the ex. with the drivers licence and parabol is a whole diffent word that goes with ex.2 for christs parabols........Sorry
Old 01-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #26
On Probation

Bincount™: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeuphoricXmindX View Post
ok. lateralus is like a journey. the whole cd means something. they all connect.

does anyone else feel more "whole" after listening to this cd?
i try to, i understand the words, but i dont know if i accept and experience the words
Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 96

firstly, schism doesnt link with parabol/parabola. because schism has its own intro song kinda being the song before it. while ticks and leeches and the patient only have a link in the sense that a force is being drained but what the songs are actually both talking about are different.
and lateralus as a whole is definately the album that links in with every song the most. the whole album seems to have a certain mood about it. i think when Tool wrote these songs they were focusing on inner thoughts rather than past experiences or views as with Undertow and Aenima.
yeah in my opinion anyway.

Don't get big ideas, they are not going to happen.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #28
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

i dont see the pattern between schism and parabol(a). i dont think they're connected
Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #29
Banned.

Bincount™: 51

ok i see a pattern here. (just a thought)

first off. read my "plato and dualism" on parabola http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p...60#post1731760. there i was talking about plato who believed that we are more then our physical body. dualism means that you believe that the body and the mind are seperate. now plato said that we all came from this world soul or "anima mundi" before we entered the physical world. the line "we barely remember who or what came before this precious moment" reminds me of platos theory that we are able to recover memory from the divine world of ideas. "all this pain is an illusion" this line i believe is referring to platos "cave", the illusions of the physical world.

to schism: i believe maynard uses the story of osiris and isis http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=1731892 to explain schism as a division that not only split the osiris religion to several other religions, but humanities division from the unity consciousness to a polarized, disharmonic consciousness. here we have totally forgotten how to communicate correctly as humanity did when it was unified. the story of osiris is not only talking about osiris' being broken into many pieces, but its talking about everyone else being in peices as well. in the story there is a sense of compassion between supposed lover and brothers. the lovers are osiris and isis, and set and nephthys. the four of them i believe were brothers and sisters aswell. anyways, i believe in the story they ended up rediscovering communication bringing osiris to 46 and 2 which is a unified consciousness. osiris was suppost to set as an example of someone that entered 46 and 2 from the disharmonic consciousness. the story and schism go on about how we should all discover this communication once again so that we can get back to a unified consciousness.

so how do these songs fit?

well.... parabol and parabola just happen to fit nicely after schism. schism states that we are divided, separated, etc.. parabol/parabola brings us to the next step talking about mind/body dualism. if you start believing in mind/body dualism then you may discover your physical body and its rhythms, discover plato's cave, and realize that you are more then your physical body. you may possibly "remember what came before". you may recover knowledge from platos divine world of ideas.

certain meditations like hemi-sync, remote viewing, out of body experiences, PAN, and many others can help you discover the other side of the physical reality. in the end you may realize the primal truth of oneness and the urge to reunite our individual light with the whole.

i believe the goal of schism/parabol/parabola is to allow you to be aware that by connecting outside the physical world as well as communicating with it, it may bring you from a disharmonic consciousness to a unified one. i also believe that all of the songs to lateralus are connected.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

does anyone realise that parabol (parable) means a story with a moral. And the moral of the story is spirituality.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: