opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #3761
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

^^ if they played triad at all i think my head would pop off.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #3762
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentzig View Post
Really? I hope so. Out of curiousity where did you hear this from? I'll be there and you've got me a little excited. heh
Doesn't matter, I was right, hahahahaha. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #3763
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaced View Post
@junior:

I can't disagree that lighting some candles and jamming, say, Triad, would stoke only a few of us. But last I heard, Tool wasn't about appealing to the masses. Besides, I'd think you'd love it. And to be clear, jamming isn't necessarily directionless and without structure. It's about exploring the spontaneous, where the artists democratically find their way together into something that works beautifully. A jam is a celebration of the present moment, not a phoned in recital of something preconceived. Nothing makes you feel more alive than being present during a good jam. Part of it becomes yours, and you take it home with you. And that is indeed what Tool is about.

We live in an information age. YouTube and this site are good examples of that. When I go to a Tool show and everybody knows what the next song is gonna be, I find it uneventful and anticlimactic. Boring. Completely void of surprise, which the device that makes any live experience interesting. In both art and life itself.

It's hard to imagine the band not getting bored up there after months of the same shiz. And, thinking back to Monday night, they looked it.
I realize that jamming can be a fun thing for fans of it and for bands, but in my experience Tool are kinda guarded about how they get from point A to point B, and tend to just be spontaneous amongst themselves. The drum jam in "Lateralus" is about the only public exploration they've been doing lately. I suppose the old "Merkaba" intro to "Sober" is another example, and the guest drummers on "Triad", but even all of that fit into a certain structure, I suppose.
Tool even keeps their soundchecks closed to everyone who does not have to be there, and this includes building personnel. They really don't like to share that part of the journey.

The best way to avoid being bored by the order of songs is to not read about it in forums like this ahead of time. Easier to say than do, but I've seen examples of people who were ecstatic who didn't read ahead. I know rock shows aren't exactly like movies, but most people don't find out everything they can about a movie before they see it, and if they do I can imagine it would ruin it for them, too. I know it would for me. And I think right now, Tool pictures their live show as being more like an over-all event and less like a band standing on a stage.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #3764
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
@junior:

I can't disagree that lighting some candles and jamming, say, Triad, would stoke only a few of us. But last I heard, Tool wasn't about appealing to the masses. Besides, I'd think you'd love it. And to be clear, jamming isn't necessarily directionless and without structure. It's about exploring the spontaneous, where the artists democratically find their way together into something that works beautifully. A jam is a celebration of the present moment, not a phoned in recital of something preconceived. Nothing makes you feel more alive than being present during a good jam. Part of it becomes yours, and you take it home with you. And that is indeed what Tool is about.

We live in an information age. YouTube and this site are good examples of that. When I go to a Tool show and everybody knows what the next song is gonna be, I find it uneventful and anticlimactic. Boring. Completely void of surprise, which the device that makes any live experience interesting. In both art and life itself.

It's hard to imagine the band not getting bored up there after months of the same shiz. And, thinking back to Monday night, they looked it.
Since when are surprises and substantial deviation from a "setlist" the essential elements of jamming?

Last edited by godhenry; 12-12-2007 at 09:54 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #3765
Level 2 - Poster

@godhenry:

Since the beginning of the 20th century, when a bunch of brothers from the South got their hands on some surplus instruments from the local marching band and created jazz.

Going back thousands of years before that, I suppose we could trace it back to the planet's first great storytellers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #3766
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Do you know how far they've come to get to this point where they can have a production so INTENSE. Junior and crew are blowing everyone's minds night after night! When I first saw them in '97 the visual display consisted of, i think, three screens. I was looking at one video screen the other night and it was captivating, not to mention the other 5, the moving light rigs, multicolor lasers, and fog (and Band!). Be glad they are playing at all. Hell, they mixed it up a bit in SF with Jello and Tim's appearance. Vegas may have a few surprises too, you never know. I guess it needs to be said: Don't be a demanding fan, and you will be rewarded. If you go in with an open mind to the experience I think these are undeniably some of the best concerts that have ever been staged.
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #3767
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1DA View Post
They gave me a cardboard tube to keep mine in.
a regular poster or signed poster?
The signed SF posters were not available before the show. 'Hadn't arrived yet' or something. After the show they were available for $100!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #3768
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFF0RD6 View Post
Do you know how far they've come to get to this point where they can have a production so INTENSE. Junior and crew are blowing everyone's minds night after night! When I first saw them in '97 the visual display consisted of, i think, three screens. I was looking at one video screen the other night and it was captivating, not to mention the other 5, the moving light rigs, multicolor lasers, and fog (and Band!). Be glad they are playing at all. Hell, they mixed it up a bit in SF with Jello and Tim's appearance. Vegas may have a few surprises too, you never know. I guess it needs to be said: Don't be a demanding fan, and you will be rewarded. If you go in with an open mind to the experience I think these are undeniably some of the best concerts that have ever been staged.
Well said. It should also be no surprise that Junior is probably the best lighting tech for any band I've ever seen...Chris Koruda, eat your heart out.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #3769
Level 7 - Loquacious

i was wondering if Junior is familiar with the work of Chris Kuroda/CK5?
3.1.97 - 7.11.97 - 7.3.98 - 8.15.01 - 11.24.02 - 4.30.06 - 9.7.06 - 9.8.06 - 7.14.07 - 12.10.07 - 12.14.07 - 8.22.09 - 7.18.10 - 7.19.10 - 3.12.14 - 3.16.14 - 10.31.15 - 1.9.16 - 6.17.17 - 10.20.19 - 10.21.19
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #3770

Quote:

And to be clear, jamming isn't necessarily directionless and without structure. It's about exploring the spontaneous, where the artists democratically find their way together into something that works beautifully. A jam is a celebration of the present moment, not a phoned in recital of something preconceived. Nothing makes you feel more alive than being present during a good jam. Part of it becomes yours, and you take it home with you. And that is indeed what Tool is about.
You put that very well. When my band is jamming/practicing, we will play our set of songs that our muscle memory has no problem playing. Then we smoke a little herb, and start jamming. To be there in that present moment creating and being inspired is the beauty and love that is in music. As for Tool doing that on stage, I dont think that's what the journey they are presenting to us is about. They have evolved so much and now is their time to be a class act that can play the same set lists over and over, knowing there is a fresh crowd out there that hasnt been there for every repeated performance. I know if my band had the popularity and money to put on extravagant productions and shows, I would have NO problem playing the same songs each night.

You also made a good point... It is hard to image the band not getting tired of the same set over and over. But its also hard to image them getting tired of the reaction from each city. I know I would be gitty each night watching peoples minds be blown by what had been created. Each night would bring satisfaction.

The way I see the set they are playing is quite simple. Its a journey, and trek we are all taking with them. We join them on their path to send us on our way to being inspired. A Tool show is much more than just a rock concert. It's an experience. It's an art show, a rock concert, a movie, an acid trip and an alien abduction all tied into one. They have discovered what they feel is the ultimate trip with their static set lists. They have chosen a great gift for us, and I for one was so very grateful to receive it. I just wish I could thank each of them personally for the beauty they have brought into my life over the last 10 years.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #3771

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
a regular poster or signed poster?
The signed SF posters were not available before the show. 'Hadn't arrived yet' or something. After the show they were available for $100!
It was a regular one that I got before the show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #3772
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
@godhenry:

Since the beginning of the 20th century, when a bunch of brothers from the South got their hands on some surplus instruments from the local marching band and created jazz.

Going back thousands of years before that, I suppose we could trace it back to the planet's first great storytellers.
i was not saying surprise or gross deviation or improvisation was not, or has never been, part of jamming. To a lot of music cultures, it has been a big part. i was just saying that it wasn't the only way to jam.

i know the stuff you are talking about and i love those stuff. and i also consider symphony no. 9 a jam song but i don't see any orchestra playing it switches it up.

many folk songs from the slavic, middle eastern, or asian countries are all jamming. but they don't switch things up like monk or mahavishnu orchestra. even if you look at some of the japanese or french jazz music, they don't jam the same way the American ones do.

and going back all the way to genesis, the great storyteller has been telling the same story over and over again. that's how native americans record history. it'd be a nightmare, if the native storytellers switch things up like the way you suggested.

different people jam differently.

Quote:

A jam is a celebration of the present moment, not a phoned in recital of something preconceived. Nothing makes you feel more alive than being present during a good jam. Part of it becomes yours, and you take it home with you. And that is indeed what Tool is about.
And I totally agree with you there. And that's what TOOL did at the SF show. I heard some random things that they played. They did deviate. 46&2 was always different at different show, just as symphony no.9 is always different slightly each time you hear it played. And the great storyteller always tells the story just very subtly different each time. So I just don't see how TOOL was not jamming, even according to above quoted definition. and i don't see how any of the shows that i saw was "a phoned in recital of something preconceived." Maybe the preconception has its origin in your own preconception?

Last edited by godhenry; 12-13-2007 at 10:58 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #3773
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Tool jams while they're on tours... perhaps not during the shows, but earlier in the day, etc. That's how they come up with the extra parts to the songs (the killer long synth intro. to flood, Adam's preludes to Schism and Forty-Six & 2, the old and current extended bridge in Schism, the synth part they often play following the drum solo(s) during Lateralus before heading 'back to the song').

I too wish they would have slots in their sets where they would jam out fresh new sounds. Not that they DON'T come up with new subtle shit on a nightly basis. Yes, you check the setlists night after night, see that they're playing the same songs. They're NOT played the same each time though. Some more than others anyhow. We all just want to see them EVERYTHING... every ounce of their artistic abilities somehow poured all at once. Perhaps they know that they aren't the greatest at coming up with shit and sounding insanely tight (which they otherwise are). Maybe that's not the best way to put it. Maybe they want that first timer to experience the 'best' possible show of THEIRS that they can put on. Blahbidy-blah-blah-blah and stuff.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #3774
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WookieeBlaylock View Post
Tool jams while they're on tours... perhaps not during the shows, but earlier in the day, etc. That's how they come up with the extra parts to the songs (the killer long synth intro. to flood, Adam's preludes to Schism and Forty-Six & 2, the old and current extended bridge in Schism, the synth part they often play following the drum solo(s) during Lateralus before heading 'back to the song').

I too wish they would have slots in their sets where they would jam out fresh new sounds. Not that they DON'T come up with new subtle shit on a nightly basis. Yes, you check the setlists night after night, see that they're playing the same songs. They're NOT played the same each time though. Some more than others anyhow. We all just want to see them EVERYTHING... every ounce of their artistic abilities somehow poured all at once. Perhaps they know that they aren't the greatest at coming up with shit and sounding insanely tight (which they otherwise are). Maybe that's not the best way to put it. Maybe they want that first timer to experience the 'best' possible show of THEIRS that they can put on. Blahbidy-blah-blah-blah and stuff.
Made me think- the other night at Nokia, we got what could be called a 'mini' version of Lost Keys. Although the entire Lost Keys intro was not played, Justin 'jammed' out a riff that was a variation on what he normally plays in that song. I remember Maynard and Adam both watching and waiting for Justin to queue them in that he was done.

I had really been missing Lost Keys as I think Rosetta Stoned is not as effective without it. But what Justin did more than filled that void and could definitely be called 'improvisation' or 'jamming'.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #3775
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
i was wondering if Junior is familiar with the work of Chris Kuroda/CK5?
Haha, yeah I think he is:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=1925104#post1925104
Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #3776
Level 8 - Vociferous

didn't TOOL always play the same setlist during the Lateralus tour?

Sober (Cold & Ugly or Flood w/o the intro)
The Grudge
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Parabol
Parabola
Ænema (Third Eye for the few lucky souls including myself)
Intermission
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Lateralus

Granted, they had a materially different setlist in the beginning, and switched things up occasionally toward the end of the tour. I still remember how some people were always bitching "Oh c'mon not DRT again." One can only dream of the day when we see DRT live again.

and today:

Jambi
(-) Ions (abridged)
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Intermission
wings
10,000 days
Lateralus
Vicarious

yeah the Aenima tour was different. so was i.

shit, they've been playing practically the same setlist since 2002! :P *sarcasm*

i'm just saying...

Last edited by godhenry; 12-13-2007 at 11:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #3777

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
didn't TOOL always play the same setlist during the Lateralus tour?

Sober (Cold & Ugly or Flood w/o the intro)
The Grudge
(-) Ions
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Parabol
Parabola
Ænema (Third Eye for the few lucky souls including myself)
Intermission
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Lateralus

Granted, they had a materially different setlist in the beginning, and switched things up occasionally toward the end of the tour. I still remember how some people were always bitching "Oh c'mon not DRT again." One can only dream of the day when we see DRT live again.

and today:

Jambi
(-) Ions (abridged)
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Intermission
wings
10,000 days
Lateralus
Vicarious

yeah the Aenima tour was different. so was i.

shit, they've been playing practically the same setlist since 2002! :P *sarcasm*

i'm just saying...
I agree they do pretty much play the same set each night. Look at a few setlists though from the shows they played in Oklahoma on the Lateralus tour( that unfortunatly I did not attend), however a couple buddies did make all three of them and said they were incredible.

This was on the first BIG leg of the US in 2001 Oklahoma City,Ok show..
The Grudge
(-) Ions
Stinkfist(additional parts and lyrics)
Sober
Pushit (Aenima Version)
Parabol
Parabola
Schism
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Eon Blue Apocalypse/The Patient
Opiate (with extra length and help from Tricky)
Lateralus

Then summer 2002 In Tulsa, Ok....

Intro (Adam on keyboards, Justin on bass)
Sober
Flood (no intro)
The Grudge
Negative Ions/Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism (extended)
Parabol / Parabola
Eon Blue Apocalypse / The Patient
Aenima
Intermission (Adam and Justin)
Disposition
Reflection
Triad (Mike on keyboards, John on drums)
Lateralus

Then last time around in November of 02 in Oklahoma City,Ok...

Cold and Ugly
The Grudge
Sober
Forty Six and Two
Schism
Parabol
Parabola
Third Eye

Intermission

Disposition
Reflection
Triad (f/t Meshugah's Drummer)
Lateralus

Now if you were lucky enough to go to all these shows then you have heard a variety of great songs!!! I cant believe how different all three are it would have been so great. Look at the openers everyone is different I mean how fucking great is that? Many different things about each set; they even got at least one different song three shows in a row!! Anyway this is just fun to look at... Good luck to all you out there in Vegas on tomorrow's show(actually today) !!! The only post of the show said they "teased" part of Eon Blue Ap. ... The patient would be fantastic !!! They did play it on the mini tour.........????
5-11-07__5-19-07__ 6-22-07__11-16-07__ 11-19-07__7-25-09__6-23-10__1-21-12__3-24-14__3-25-14__10-31-15__1-14-16__1-16-16__1-17-16__10-28-16__5-30-17__5-19-19__11-03-19__02-01-20__01-30-2022__03-10-2022__03-17-2022
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #3778
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

i am forever greatful i got to see the patient in coachella :-) i really really lucked out on this tour. I missed the lateralus tour for a few stupid reasons (i was just getting into the band then... was 16/17 at the time, and my dad wouldnt let me take the car... god bless america lol) ... and since then i had been forever cursing myself. when coachella was announced in 06, i didnt care how much it cost or how much debt/trouble i would have to get in to be there. i was there. and it rocked my world upside down..

so i managed to catch 6 total shows over this past tour and the only song they did which i did not get to see, other than the few lucky souls who got to see the two covers they played, was swamp song. (saw the patient, opiate, sober, pushit, flood, right in two, the pot).. i am forever greatful!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #3779
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmax View Post
I agree they do pretty much play the same set each night. Look at a few setlists though from the shows they played in Oklahoma on the Lateralus tour( that unfortunatly I did not attend), however a couple buddies did make all three of them and said they were incredible.

The Grudge
(-) Ions
Sober
Pushit (Aenima Version)
Parabol
Parabola
Schism
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Lateralus

Sober
Flood (no intro)
The Grudge
Negative Ions/Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism (extended)
Parabol / Parabola
Aenima
Disposition
Reflection
Lateralus

Cold and Ugly
The Grudge
Sober
Forty Six and Two
Schism
Parabol
Parabola
Third Eye

Intermission

Disposition
Reflection
Lateralus

Now if you were lucky enough to go to all these shows then you have heard a variety of great songs!!! I cant believe how different all three are it would have been so great. Look at the openers everyone is different I mean how fucking great is that? Many different things about each set; they even got at least one different song three shows in a row!! Anyway this is just fun to look at... Good luck to all you out there in Vegas on tomorrow's show(actually today) !!! The only post of the show said they "teased" part of Eon Blue Ap. ... The patient would be fantastic !!! They did play it on the mini tour.........????
ok... good pt... but then look at this tour:

Paramount Theater, Oakland, CA (05/04/06)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
46 & 2
The Pot
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocolypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus

Coliseum, Oakland, CA (09/03/06)
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Right In Two
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Bill Graham, SF, CA (12/11/07)
Jambi
Stinkfist (extended)
46&2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Intermission
Wings for Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days Pt.2
Lateralus (with Primus' drummer and Trans Am Drummer)
Holiday in Cambodia!!!
Vicarious

So, they are switching it up just like they did during the Lateralus tour... in fact, the three bay area setlists differ from each other more than those from the Lateralus tour.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #3780
Level 7 - Loquacious

I think that when a lot of people talk about the (supposed) "glory days of the Lateralus tour", there's a couple of reasons why they feel those shows outshine the current ones. The biggest reason is perhaps because it was the first time they saw the band live. I unfortunately was not able to make it mostly because my dad got reaaally sick at the time (he's better now). All of my friends that were able to take in a show or two from that tour went on for years about how amazing it was (and I'm sure it was). It was their first live Tool experience, which is always pretty damn special in itself. After four or five years one inevitably is going to forget a lot of the finer points of the experiences... however, the overall feeling remains, and your impression of how mind-blowingly epic it was. In other words, the band on that particular night might not having even been playing as tight as usual, there could have been some mistakes, but it's still fucking Tool live, and so of course you're still gonna shit your pants with excitement. I think the Saskatoon, SK show I saw last month was SO incredible... and there were so many little things they did to a "T", that they didn't quite pull off in Victoria (nor in Kelowna because of drunken madness). It was amazingly spectacular, and once again I was moved. However, seeing them in Calgary last summer for the first time truly was more groundbreaking for me, it being my first Tool show. It's difficult to compare two seperate near-two hour experiences that are four or five years apart I would think, though so many seem so certain that the band was in their 'prime' then. Personally, I wasn't there, but based on the recordings I've heard, I'd say Maynard's voice was more in it's prime, but the rest of the band has only gotten better (to clarify: I don't mean to imply that Maynard is a shittier musician, or has crappier writing contriubtions, I'm just speaking of his voice). I think the band has written a lot of their best work following the Lateralus tour (well, some came to be during said tour). Shit, I'm all over the place here. Obviously if you like Lateralus much much more than 10,000 days, that's gonna have an impact. I know one thing that would be difficult to argue against: Lateralus is far more badass and evolved and with more dynamics and with a fuller guitar sound and so on, on this tour than it was played on the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
...But what Justin did more than filled that void and could definitely be called 'improvisation' or 'jamming'.
Exactly!!

Last edited by WookieeBlaylock; 12-14-2007 at 12:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #3781
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Well, I'm in Barstow. One word- BRRR! Dang it's nippy out. Maybe riding the bike wasn't the best idea.. Or maybe I just need to harden the fuk up!

I should be in LV in a few hours. Wander over to the Island bar around 7 maybe?
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #3782
Level 8 - Vociferous

So night two of the Vegas shows, thinking they'll drop "Wings" and add "The Pot" and "Ænema"...

That or they'll just play the EXACT same set as the previous night.

Last edited by Maz46&2; 12-14-2007 at 04:03 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #3783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmax View Post

The Grudge
(-) Ions
Sober
Pushit (Aenima Version)
Parabol
Parabola
Schism
Disposition
Reflection
Triad
Lateralus

Sober
Flood (no intro)
The Grudge
Negative Ions/Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism (extended)
Parabol / Parabola
Aenima
Disposition
Reflection
Lateralus

Cold and Ugly
The Grudge
Sober
Forty Six and Two
Schism
Parabol
Parabola
Third Eye

Intermission

Disposition
Reflection
Lateralus

These three shows were truly amazing. The one that really lifted me was Tulsa 2002. OKC Nov 2002 was mindblowing with Third Eye, but the Tulsa show had so much energy, especially from Maynard. It was almost unbelievable. Opening with Sober and Flood.. could you imagine them doing that now? Everyone was going absolute batshit crazy. Not to mention it was the first time seeing the hanging album artwork drop across the top of the stage during D/R/T.. full Alex Grey backdrop. Yeap.
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #3784
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sven View Post
These three shows were truly amazing. The one that really lifted me was Tulsa 2002. OKC Nov 2002 was mindblowing with Third Eye, but the Tulsa show had so much energy, especially from Maynard. It was almost unbelievable. Opening with Sober and Flood.. could you imagine them doing that now? Everyone was going absolute batshit crazy. Not to mention it was the first time seeing the hanging album artwork drop across the top of the stage during D/R/T.. full Alex Grey backdrop. Yeap.
yeah they did that in reno too. it was definitely one of its kind.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #3785
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

i cannot believe they played the same EXACT set two nights in a row at the same venue. they should be ashamed of themselves. seriously. i have never ever heard of a band doing that. straight up pathetic.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #3786
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiconoclast View Post
the show was perfectly incredible. they were tight as hell even though there were many reported sigtings of Justin spooking about the hotel getting smashed all day. and he had 4 more on stage.

one maynardism i remember was a judicious warning not to find yourself in a bathtub full of ice missing a harvested organ...
Is Justin becoming an alcoholic? =)
Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #3787
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhenry View Post
Is Justin becoming an alcoholic? =)
When I met him this autumn he had a few beers on stage and a six pack after the show. When he ran out of those we got him a bag full of fresh beer cans... but didn't finish them all during the time we were hanging around with him. But he did stuff them in his pockets when went back to the bus... fucking alcoholic ;-)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #3788
Level 8 - Vociferous

From the vegas board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damani311 View Post
They didn't just close the show with Vic, the closed the Tour with it, and they closed the decade, and, IMO their last show with it. Epic. . Anyway the show itself was better than last night, they went all out on the antics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
I got to see some good friends from the boards tonight (hi everyone!). Overall a great experience and I'm glad I made it out for the final date on their 10,000 Days tour.

I want to take a moment to thank all the posters I have chatted with here and the great people I have met through these boards and because of Tool. It's been a great ride and with a little luck, we'll all do it again in a few years on Tool's next record.

Peace
The
Fuck
Out
was it really their last show until the next album? how do we know that?

it's been a great ride. but if this really were the end of it for now, i would want to know so i can come to terms with it. =)

Last edited by godhenry; 12-15-2007 at 11:14 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #3789
Level 3 - Talker

They still have their australia/new zealand tour to come,and im guessing japan at the same time. but apart from that i cannot see them touring anywhere else until the next album
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #3790
Level 7 - Loquacious

i think they wont end it over there, im sure there will be more shows in 08 for the US, maybe march april or may. at least this is what i keep telling myself.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #3791
Level 3 - Talker

I guess time will tell, that would be pretty amazing if they did the states again, it was gona be november for the nz and aus dates but danny screwed his arm so it had to be pushed back to 08, but yeah who knows, they might tour the US again aswell, i wouldnt bet on it tho
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #3792
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreal View Post
i think they wont end it over there, im sure there will be more shows in 08 for the US, maybe march april or may. at least this is what i keep telling myself.
Last night, MJK did say, "This is the last song, from the last show, of our last tour." Then paused for a second before adding, "Not forever, just awhile."

And, yeah, the more I think about it, it was really lame playing the exact same setlist two nights in a row at the same venue.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #3793
Level 7 - Loquacious

are there any confirmed australia / kiwi dates?

what if that's really it for 10,000 days tour? i kind of got that impression last night.

Last edited by MFF0RD6; 12-16-2007 at 07:12 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #3794
Level 3 - Talker

What kind of beer was justin drinking? just wondering...it was in a green bottle
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #3795

Bincount™: 13

10,000 DAYS TOUR

GENERAL FACTS:

April 30, 2006 - December 14, 2007
212 shows in 594 days (1 show every 2.8 days)

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

Hats off to the guys for putting on alot of shows. Chances are that they came to a venue near you. I got to see them 3 times.

Started out with a Mini Tour during Spring & Summer of '06 in smaller venues.

Moved on to a larger arena Tour in Fall of '06. Big changes with visuals, most notably the addition of floor projections on a white stage. Wings/10K Days introduced. Setlists included large share of 10K Days album material. Little to no material from Undertow and Opiate. Very little setlist variation.

'07 shows had small tweaks compared to previous year. Lighting and visuals taken up a notch (rear projection screens were larger, added a UFO light show during intermission, large image of Alex Grey "Net of Being" was displayed). Similar setlist to Fall of '06 minus Aenima. Shows started with Jambi instead of Stinkfist. Very little setlist variation.

THE GOOD:

The Visuals.
Loved the floor projections on the white stage. Thought the visuals were the best during fall of '06 tour with the contiguous rear screen projections. However, I would have preferred to see less of the humanoid imagery.

Live Song Variations.
Extended part to Stinkfist, sped-up middle part to Schism and drummer's duel in Lateralus were all good additions.

Overall Show Completeness.
Had the feel of a movie with a beginning, middle and end. There was no dead time and the band played ambient passages between songs. Visuals synced-up to songs rather nicely.

Rhythm Section.
What can I say? Danny & Justin keep improving. Very proficient, great dynamics.

Lateralus.
This song was played at every show and rightly so.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD (I'll concede I'm being picky here):

Maynard's Voice.
His voice has diminished in recent years, although still serviceable. Tried singing his way through screaming parts. Many comments that his voice was too low in the mix. There were a few show cancellations due to him being ill.

Backing Vocals.
There weren't any coming from the other band members. A couple parts seemed to have prerecorded backing vocals, such as in Jambi (damn my eyes!).

The Sound Quality.
Vocals, guitar mids should have been turned up. Never going to get perfect acoustics in large arena settings. Some people said they sounded their best at Bonnaroo with the festival's sound crew/setup.

Setlist Variation.
Pretty much stuck to the same setlist every night with an occasional addition or subtraction. Mostly attributed to Maynard's voice constraints. Also, attributed to Adam being a perfectionist. Too much setlist variation may have compromised the completeness of the shows. No Parabola or Prison Sex the entire tour! Many griped about the minimal content from the Undertow and Opiate albums.

Last edited by dice5199; 12-15-2007 at 10:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #3796
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
are there any confirmed australia / kiwi dates?

what if that's really it for 10,000 days tour? i kind of got that impression last nigth.
nothing in stone yet, im just going by what they say. If maynard said what he said last night then that is pretty much the end of the US shows off this album, they may just choose to leave it there and not come down to nz/aus, although i doubt that, they sell more albums here per population than any other country in the world. Time will tell
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #3797
Level 7 - Loquacious

Setlist wise and from performance reports the best show of the 10K tour was Mansfield MA, Tweeter Center, 7/07. This show was the only location that Flood and Pushit were performed in the same night. Bonnaroo would have to be second and the San Francisco show would be up there as well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #3798
Level 7 - Loquacious

i think staples center night 1 should also get a vote:

wings debut
right in two
the pot
aenima

and all the rest.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #3799
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damani311 View Post
What kind of beer was justin drinking? just wondering...it was in a green bottle
Looked like a Stella Artois.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #3800
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Looked like a Stella Artois.
yeah, i was gonna go with stella or spaten haha
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: