Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
CCP
06-16-2009, 10:40 PM

Terrible song. should be called The Pot[ty].
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #121
CCP
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP View Post
Matter of opinion
Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #122
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Matter of opinion
07-20-2009, 03:28 AM

I love this song! One of my favorites on the CD.

I guess everyone's taste is in their mouth......
Old 07-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #123
Level 4 - Thinker

I love this song! One of my favorites on the CD.

I guess everyone's taste is in their mouth......
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
07-20-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.
this sounds spot on. i really like the bass, it totally honks and moves the song along.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #124
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_noose View Post

I will say though, the intro of this song caught me off guard in the first listen. But once the bass line kicked in, it was all good.
this sounds spot on. i really like the bass, it totally honks and moves the song along.
08-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
i really like the bass, it totally honks and moves the song along.

Yeah the bass in this song is cool, i like it a lot. But what was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #125
CCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
i really like the bass, it totally honks and moves the song along.

Yeah the bass in this song is cool, i like it a lot. But what was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol
inSin's Avatar inSin
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM

i like the intro because its different... a little to high... but eh.. oh well
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #126
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

i like the intro because its different... a little to high... but eh.. oh well
gonzo's Avatar gonzo
08-07-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
i remember thinking last week that it seemed as if James (matured after writing Wings/10k) was having an internal conversation with Maynard (who wrote Judith). and it's always a little embarrasing talking to yourself. and the artist thought, 'fuck it, leave it in there.'
Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #127
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 1841

Quote:
i remember thinking last week that it seemed as if James (matured after writing Wings/10k) was having an internal conversation with Maynard (who wrote Judith). and it's always a little embarrasing talking to yourself. and the artist thought, 'fuck it, leave it in there.'
08-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
What was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol
I like the intro it makes the song that much more distinct. We all sing it at work when its on and it sounds awesome. You know what's embarrassing? Misspelling emb...never mind.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #128
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
What was Maynard thinking? lol someone should have told him how bad that intro sounds before they released it, how embarrasing lol
I like the intro it makes the song that much more distinct. We all sing it at work when its on and it sounds awesome. You know what's embarrassing? Misspelling emb...never mind.
Ravenpig
08-13-2009, 05:47 PM

The only place I've ever heard anyone say that this song sucks is on the internet.

Shocking isn't?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #129

The only place I've ever heard anyone say that this song sucks is on the internet.

Shocking isn't?
CCP
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpig View Post

Shocking isn't?

Really? i've only met a few people who like it, but they're all new tool fans who have only heard 10,000 days. I've told them all what I think of it. Shit I still laugh just thinking about the start of the song lol
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #130
CCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenpig View Post

Shocking isn't?

Really? i've only met a few people who like it, but they're all new tool fans who have only heard 10,000 days. I've told them all what I think of it. Shit I still laugh just thinking about the start of the song lol
withSpirit
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM

The only song on 10,000 Days I don't absolutely love, though it is way more interesting than Stinkfist, anything on Opiate, and a lot of Undertow IMO, and obviously way better musically.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #131

The only song on 10,000 Days I don't absolutely love, though it is way more interesting than Stinkfist, anything on Opiate, and a lot of Undertow IMO, and obviously way better musically.
Yast3r's Avatar Yast3r
08-13-2009, 06:54 PM

I like the beginning. It's a great sing-a-long song, who fucking cares if it's not deep and reflective. It's good music.

Tool fans = head up their asses.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #132
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

I like the beginning. It's a great sing-a-long song, who fucking cares if it's not deep and reflective. It's good music.

CCP
08-13-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post

It's not the lack of depth that makes me laugh. It's Maynards attempt at that range lol
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #133
CCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yast3r View Post

It's not the lack of depth that makes me laugh. It's Maynards attempt at that range lol
Yast3r's Avatar Yast3r
08-13-2009, 08:19 PM

He's not a trained musician, he's a learned singer and simply goes with the heart. I personally think it sounds great, and he pulled it off. I'm far from a Tool asskisser, but that bit is far from complaint worthy, unless it ruins the angst vibe the rest of their work carries.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #134
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 480

He's not a trained musician, he's a learned singer and simply goes with the heart. I personally think it sounds great, and he pulled it off. I'm far from a Tool asskisser, but that bit is far from complaint worthy, unless it ruins the angst vibe the rest of their work carries.
Mr. Judgemental's Avatar Mr. Judgemental
03-03-2010, 08:19 PM

I think that people hate this song because it is a different pace than the other songs Tool releases. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's bad.

I like this song because I can relate to it. In my school, (i'm 16,) I know so many hypocrites it isnt funny. I relate to this song more than any other Tool song. It certainly isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Leave that spot for Disgustipated.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #135
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 2

I think that people hate this song because it is a different pace than the other songs Tool releases. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's bad.

I like this song because I can relate to it. In my school, (i'm 16,) I know so many hypocrites it isnt funny. I relate to this song more than any other Tool song. It certainly isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Leave that spot for Disgustipated.
03-03-2010, 08:37 PM

disgustipated kicks ass live, watch it in england 94 on youtube
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #136
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

disgustipated kicks ass live, watch it in england 94 on youtube
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
03-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Judgemental View Post
It certainly isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Leave that spot for Disgustipated.
When you grow up, you'll appreciate Disgustipated. One of their most poignant and interesting songs....I can't get enough of LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES and all the shotgun blasts. I gained a lot more respect for it after seeing the Undertow behind-the-scenes footage.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #137
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Quote:
It certainly isn't the best, but it isn't the worst. Leave that spot for Disgustipated.
When you grow up, you'll appreciate Disgustipated. One of their most poignant and interesting songs....I can't get enough of LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES and all the shotgun blasts. I gained a lot more respect for it after seeing the Undertow behind-the-scenes footage.
03-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I actually sat down the other day and listened all the way through it. I realized that it is a lot better than I originally thought. I also realized that ominous filler tracks Tool has have meaning like all their other songs. I now veiw their filler tracks as, "a short break," rather than, "pure and utter crap."

BACK ON THE DISCUSSION OF THE POT NOW
Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #138
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I actually sat down the other day and listened all the way through it. I realized that it is a lot better than I originally thought. I also realized that ominous filler tracks Tool has have meaning like all their other songs. I now veiw their filler tracks as, "a short break," rather than, "pure and utter crap."

BACK ON THE DISCUSSION OF THE POT NOW
03-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I now veiw their filler tracks as, "a short break," rather than, "pure and utter crap."
i still consider a few segues "pure and utter crap", but only the ones that deserve it.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #139

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
I now veiw their filler tracks as, "a short break," rather than, "pure and utter crap."
i still consider a few segues "pure and utter crap", but only the ones that deserve it.
Mr. Judgemental's Avatar Mr. Judgemental
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearandloathing View Post
Like what? Lipan Conjuring? Mantra? Sure, they aren't as awesome or hilarious as their other segues, but they still have that meaning of "Don't just look at things on the surface." And Lipan goes along very well with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. Lipan represents the trip before the aftermath (Lost Keys,) and now he has to explain all of this (Rosetta Stoned.)

NOW WE START OUR DISCUSSION OF THE POT.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #140
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearandloathing View Post
Like what? Lipan Conjuring? Mantra? Sure, they aren't as awesome or hilarious as their other segues, but they still have that meaning of "Don't just look at things on the surface." And Lipan goes along very well with Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. Lipan represents the trip before the aftermath (Lost Keys,) and now he has to explain all of this (Rosetta Stoned.)

NOW WE START OUR DISCUSSION OF THE POT.
05-15-2011, 03:12 PM

People need to stop saying this song is "Undertow-ish". It's definitely not Undertow related, if anything I thought it was the passive sequel to Hooker With A Penis because it deals with Maynard venting his frustrations at a particular issue. I guess alot of songs off Undertow follow the same trend, but they all have deeper metaphorical meanings than The Pot (well most of them do anyway). I fucking love this song and I don't care what people say, great bass line thats simple but catchy (and damn fun to play, makes me feel like a badass) and the lyrics flow well with it too. Also I feel like people just thought it was cool to bash on The Pot because everyone called it "simple" and "silly". Lastly, Maynard doesn't sound black at all. The people who said that are fucking retarded no offense. Go listen to some Jay-Z or Tupac then come back and tell me he sounds black or that he's "rapping". He's just singing in this high octave range that he usually doesn't sing in, so he doesn't sound like mature Maynard. if anything I was thinking of the angry version of Robert Plant singing this because of the high vocal range (I would love to hear him sing this song!)
Old 05-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #141

People need to stop saying this song is "Undertow-ish". It's definitely not Undertow related, if anything I thought it was the passive sequel to Hooker With A Penis because it deals with Maynard venting his frustrations at a particular issue. I guess alot of songs off Undertow follow the same trend, but they all have deeper metaphorical meanings than The Pot (well most of them do anyway). I fucking love this song and I don't care what people say, great bass line thats simple but catchy (and damn fun to play, makes me feel like a badass) and the lyrics flow well with it too. Also I feel like people just thought it was cool to bash on The Pot because everyone called it "simple" and "silly". Lastly, Maynard doesn't sound black at all. The people who said that are fucking retarded no offense. Go listen to some Jay-Z or Tupac then come back and tell me he sounds black or that he's "rapping". He's just singing in this high octave range that he usually doesn't sing in, so he doesn't sound like mature Maynard. if anything I was thinking of the angry version of Robert Plant singing this because of the high vocal range (I would love to hear him sing this song!)
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM

I love the song & could care less if others agree. <3
Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #142
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 407

I love the song & could care less if others agree. <3

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply