46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys *new audio*
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-29-2009 at 08:23 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
07.29.09 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangle's Coliseum

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert
(except for me of course).

SETLIST (thanks to jwb and univonc)

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys *new audio*
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Aenema
Lateralus
Vicarious

Last edited by SadSummerSea; 07-29-2009 at 08:23 PM..
OFFLINE |  
univonc
07-29-2009, 07:35 PM

I thought it was a very good show. Not disappointed. I thought Maynard is a true entertainer. Always had his back turned, and I loved it. Very little for Maynardism's (other than let the masterbation begin quote for Lateralus).

Every seat looked sold. however not all seats were occupied.

I would see them again. Great show.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.29.09 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangle's Coliseum

I thought it was a very good show. Not disappointed. I thought Maynard is a true entertainer. Always had his back turned, and I loved it. Very little for Maynardism's (other than let the masterbation begin quote for Lateralus).

Every seat looked sold. however not all seats were occupied.

I would see them again. Great show.
OFFLINE |  
Timshel
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Maynard's back was turned for most of the beginning because of the belligerent loser shining the laser pointer at him. Security drug him from the floor half way through the show.

This was the worst of the four shows I have attended. The band played well. That was the most I've ever seen Adam get into a show. But the venue and the crowd were horrible. My section was surrounded by redneck assholes trying to imitate Aenema era Maynard dancing and generally ruining the show for people around them. The audio was atrocious, as well.

I guess I'm spoiled from the two Pearl shows in Spring 07. I will not see Tool again in the Carolinas.

I enjoyed the bands performance and the visuals. I also missed out on Flood during the last leg, so that was cool. Anyway. Sorry for being a downer.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Maynard's back was turned for most of the beginning because of the belligerent loser shining the laser pointer at him. Security drug him from the floor half way through the show.

This was the worst of the four shows I have attended. The band played well. That was the most I've ever seen Adam get into a show. But the venue and the crowd were horrible. My section was surrounded by redneck assholes trying to imitate Aenema era Maynard dancing and generally ruining the show for people around them. The audio was atrocious, as well.

I guess I'm spoiled from the two Pearl shows in Spring 07. I will not see Tool again in the Carolinas.

I enjoyed the bands performance and the visuals. I also missed out on Flood during the last leg, so that was cool. Anyway. Sorry for being a downer.
OFFLINE |  
Freshspence
07-29-2009, 07:50 PM

well what a difference 2 days, 3 beers, and 1 new perspective does for a show. going into tonight, after ATL, and knowing the setlist, i was going to enjoy the show for what it is (and not what i wanted it to be). and it worked. tonight was solid. instead of fighting the floor crowd and trying to get up close, i just grabbed a spot at the soundboard and chilled. had a beer, waited to tweak to sing like girls about spaceships, headed out for a piss break, grabbed two final beers and headed back in for the main show. standing at the front right corner of the sound board, i had a great view of the entire stage, and hoped i was in quasi-optimal sound position. im sure its just me (since my opinions and preferences seem to buck the trend of this "Opinion" forum") but i like being farther away. tonight i could actually see the new and different visuals everyone has been talking about, and taking into account i wasnt waiting to hear something that wasnt coming, i just enjoyed the show for what it was. and i liked it. much better than ATL. props to everyone who made it happen. i may post more tomorrow, but for now i am done. im honestly very glad tonight redeemed monday night. i was in a pissy mood all day knowing all i was going to hear was the same songs/order ive heard since 2006. but late in the day, i got a new perspective, i changed my expectations, grabbed a new spot on the floor, and rocked the hell out of a killer show. my previously blown faith in tool has been restored. now if i could just get my wife to blow some faith into my tool...
Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

well what a difference 2 days, 3 beers, and 1 new perspective does for a show. going into tonight, after ATL, and knowing the setlist, i was going to enjoy the show for what it is (and not what i wanted it to be). and it worked. tonight was solid. instead of fighting the floor crowd and trying to get up close, i just grabbed a spot at the soundboard and chilled. had a beer, waited to tweak to sing like girls about spaceships, headed out for a piss break, grabbed two final beers and headed back in for the main show. standing at the front right corner of the sound board, i had a great view of the entire stage, and hoped i was in quasi-optimal sound position. im sure its just me (since my opinions and preferences seem to buck the trend of this "Opinion" forum") but i like being farther away. tonight i could actually see the new and different visuals everyone has been talking about, and taking into account i wasnt waiting to hear something that wasnt coming, i just enjoyed the show for what it was. and i liked it. much better than ATL. props to everyone who made it happen. i may post more tomorrow, but for now i am done. im honestly very glad tonight redeemed monday night. i was in a pissy mood all day knowing all i was going to hear was the same songs/order ive heard since 2006. but late in the day, i got a new perspective, i changed my expectations, grabbed a new spot on the floor, and rocked the hell out of a killer show. my previously blown faith in tool has been restored. now if i could just get my wife to blow some faith into my tool...
OFFLINE |  
Otto Mustaine
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM

First of all, Danny Carey is a fucking great drummer. And I guess that makes up for the fact that he wore a University of Kansas basketball jersey in Tar Heel country. Danny, Adam and Justin rocked their asses off. But where was Maynard? He wore all black, stood at the back of the stage next to Danny's kit, had his back turned to the audience 95% of the time and had almost zero interaction with the audience. And his vocals really got lost in the mix. But that could be that the acoustics in Bojangles Coliseum aren't great. Also, the stage lights were never pointed at Maynard. Which tells me that the whole black garb, back of stage, etc... is an artistic decision to kind of disappear. Fine. So Maynard gave as little of Maynard as was possible. By contrast, when Lateralus ended and the roadies were taking the Tweak Bird drummer's kit off the stage, Justin helped them. Who would you rather hang out with? Maynard or Justin? And Justin seemed to have a beer stashed in every corner of the stage. Everywhere he went on stage there was a beer waiting for him. I need to learn how to arrange my little world that way. Overall, despite all my bitching about Maynard, it was a great show. I just wish Maynard would make an artistic decision to reappear and give his fans some love.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

First of all, Danny Carey is a fucking great drummer. And I guess that makes up for the fact that he wore a University of Kansas basketball jersey in Tar Heel country. Danny, Adam and Justin rocked their asses off. But where was Maynard? He wore all black, stood at the back of the stage next to Danny's kit, had his back turned to the audience 95% of the time and had almost zero interaction with the audience. And his vocals really got lost in the mix. But that could be that the acoustics in Bojangles Coliseum aren't great. Also, the stage lights were never pointed at Maynard. Which tells me that the whole black garb, back of stage, etc... is an artistic decision to kind of disappear. Fine. So Maynard gave as little of Maynard as was possible. By contrast, when Lateralus ended and the roadies were taking the Tweak Bird drummer's kit off the stage, Justin helped them. Who would you rather hang out with? Maynard or Justin? And Justin seemed to have a beer stashed in every corner of the stage. Everywhere he went on stage there was a beer waiting for him. I need to learn how to arrange my little world that way. Overall, despite all my bitching about Maynard, it was a great show. I just wish Maynard would make an artistic decision to reappear and give his fans some love.
OFFLINE |  
wes
07-29-2009, 08:07 PM

wow tool just blew 11,000 Fans away in charlotte . They came on at 9:06 p.m.and finished at 10:55 P.m. Great show all around . Very tight tonight. Could hear vocals well . Good visuals . Tool has a great production. Well worth my 60 Bucks . We sat in section112 7 Rows from the floor in the circle . Danny'S kick drum was straight in line with my chest it hit my spine bounced off my sternum and messaged my heart . Seriously I felt every beat it was awsum . Thanks tool your music is very special to me . And I hope to see you again soon.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
wes
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

wow tool just blew 11,000 Fans away in charlotte . They came on at 9:06 p.m.and finished at 10:55 P.m. Great show all around . Very tight tonight. Could hear vocals well . Good visuals . Tool has a great production. Well worth my 60 Bucks . We sat in section112 7 Rows from the floor in the circle . Danny'S kick drum was straight in line with my chest it hit my spine bounced off my sternum and messaged my heart . Seriously I felt every beat it was awsum . Thanks tool your music is very special to me . And I hope to see you again soon.
OFFLINE |  
twentyfive&1
07-29-2009, 08:40 PM

'Good evening'
'I'd like to introduce Ashton Leach, AKA Laser Leach'
'Let the drumsterbation begin'
'Please excuse these doctors while they remove this drum set'
'Thanks for coming out'

That was about all we got from Maynard, other than excellent singing and a little robot dancing during 46&2.

I watched from the floor, about 6 rows back from the rail. It all sounded great, but was SO fucking loud! I watched the 07 show from the nosebleeds, so this was a nice change to basically the same show.

Jambi kicked ass with the slightly slower tempo. We got the full intro for Flood (a song Maynard sang much better than the original). The crowd energy was over the top for AEnema.

But as was said, the crowd sucked. There are some really dumb fucking people in this world. I hate feeling like I am about to fight someone at all times at a concert.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

'Good evening'
'Thanks for coming out'

That was about all we got from Maynard, other than excellent singing and a little robot dancing during 46&2.

I watched from the floor, about 6 rows back from the rail. It all sounded great, but was SO fucking loud! I watched the 07 show from the nosebleeds, so this was a nice change to basically the same show.

Jambi kicked ass with the slightly slower tempo. We got the full intro for Flood (a song Maynard sang much better than the original). The crowd energy was over the top for AEnema.

But as was said, the crowd sucked. There are some really dumb fucking people in this world. I hate feeling like I am about to fight someone at all times at a concert.
OFFLINE |  
mohaafajita
07-29-2009, 09:10 PM

I was in front of Justin, about 6 rows back on the floor. Right where the mosh pit full of kids started. Also a fight broke out around here, very beginning of the show.

The band was great tonight. It was very loud, and my ears still are ringing. Being the first time I have seen them, I loved the show. However, Maynard seems a step lower than the rest of the crew in effort.

Still had a great time, had a great spot, only negative part is I was sober,
Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Level 3 - Talker

I was in front of Justin, about 6 rows back on the floor. Right where the mosh pit full of kids started. Also a fight broke out around here, very beginning of the show.

The band was great tonight. It was very loud, and my ears still are ringing. Being the first time I have seen them, I loved the show. However, Maynard seems a step lower than the rest of the crew in effort.

OFFLINE |  
megatom5
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM

This is my 4th Tool show. I saw them twice touring for lateralus and then the Bonnaroo show in 07 and this one. I've gotta say I was a little hesitant to even go to this show I bought tickets back in June and ever since I saw the first setlist posted I felt something I've never felt before apathy about seeing Tool. Since my formative years of music listening I've been a huge Tool fan, and seeing them put such little effort into a new show is kind of heart breaking honestly. Don't get me wrong the performance tonight was quite good, but it was a good performance of a very tired act. To go into more depth Justin sounded amazing Adam was pretty much spot on and of course Danny just kills everytime. I also liked some of the new visuals especially the stuff projected on the floor. I almost feel bad for the people in the pit because some of the coolest stuff could only be seen from above. Also I thought the sound was pretty good from where I was.

But onto the bad part, Maynard doesn't seem to be trying very hard. he uses the voice distortion thing way too much and it downs out his vocals and he uses it in a good deal of songs that don't have any vocal distortion at all. Some songs still have tight vocals like Schism and Stinkfist but Rosetta Stoned just does not translate well as a live song at least with the vocal part. Also I'm sorry but these shows are kind of a rip off honestly. Think about it, every other time I've seen them they played for about two and a half hours with very little filler in between. This show they played for less than two hours and had nearly a half hour of that being filler/ ambient noise. I have to say that I'm not a fan of Adam's synthesizer intros they just don't mesh well with the songs usually, and lets face the facts all the time spent on these they could being playing a real song. It got to the point that nearly half the people around me would sit down in between songs because of the long drawn out intros. I even timed the intro to Lateralus it took over 4 minutes in that time they could have fit Sober, any number of songs from Opiate. Also what's the deal with the band just standing there for 5 minutes midway through the show? I have to say that overall I'm glad I went, I mean I guess it would have been worse to waste the $60 ticket, but I feel like I got ripped off by my favorite band. I saw Metallica last fall with lamb of god and the sword all for $80, the show lasted almost four hours, I just expect more from a band of this caliber and I know they are capable of so much better. I was talking with some random couple as I was leaving and they basically said this was the last Tool show they would go to because they had seen them thrice now with the same show, I told them they used to be really good with the setlist on lateralus tour. I hate to say it but I might agree with them at least if they keep playing the same shit. And for all the fans who for some reason are acting like their not disappointed in this tour, don't just call me pessimist try to read between the lines.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

This is my 4th Tool show. I saw them twice touring for lateralus and then the Bonnaroo show in 07 and this one. I've gotta say I was a little hesitant to even go to this show I bought tickets back in June and ever since I saw the first setlist posted I felt something I've never felt before apathy about seeing Tool. Since my formative years of music listening I've been a huge Tool fan, and seeing them put such little effort into a new show is kind of heart breaking honestly. Don't get me wrong the performance tonight was quite good, but it was a good performance of a very tired act. To go into more depth Justin sounded amazing Adam was pretty much spot on and of course Danny just kills everytime. I also liked some of the new visuals especially the stuff projected on the floor. I almost feel bad for the people in the pit because some of the coolest stuff could only be seen from above. Also I thought the sound was pretty good from where I was.

But onto the bad part, Maynard doesn't seem to be trying very hard. he uses the voice distortion thing way too much and it downs out his vocals and he uses it in a good deal of songs that don't have any vocal distortion at all. Some songs still have tight vocals like Schism and Stinkfist but Rosetta Stoned just does not translate well as a live song at least with the vocal part. Also I'm sorry but these shows are kind of a rip off honestly. Think about it, every other time I've seen them they played for about two and a half hours with very little filler in between. This show they played for less than two hours and had nearly a half hour of that being filler/ ambient noise. I have to say that I'm not a fan of Adam's synthesizer intros they just don't mesh well with the songs usually, and lets face the facts all the time spent on these they could being playing a real song. It got to the point that nearly half the people around me would sit down in between songs because of the long drawn out intros. I even timed the intro to Lateralus it took over 4 minutes in that time they could have fit Sober, any number of songs from Opiate. Also what's the deal with the band just standing there for 5 minutes midway through the show? I have to say that overall I'm glad I went, I mean I guess it would have been worse to waste the $60 ticket, but I feel like I got ripped off by my favorite band. I saw Metallica last fall with lamb of god and the sword all for $80, the show lasted almost four hours, I just expect more from a band of this caliber and I know they are capable of so much better. I was talking with some random couple as I was leaving and they basically said this was the last Tool show they would go to because they had seen them thrice now with the same show, I told them they used to be really good with the setlist on lateralus tour. I hate to say it but I might agree with them at least if they keep playing the same shit. And for all the fans who for some reason are acting like their not disappointed in this tour, don't just call me pessimist try to read between the lines.
OFFLINE |  
Flavor Of The Week
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Great show. Missed Jambi last tour due to a fight next to us. Got to hear it. Didn't get to hear Aenema last tour, got to hear it this time. So personally I was very pleased.

As far as people whining about Maynard not facing the crowd simply: shut up.

From my vantage point, when he was facing the crowd I saw his profile, when he wasn't facing the crowd - I saw his profile. Boo hoo. Nice 'hawk tho.

I laughed a bit when he would sit down behind Danny. Full leather outfit can't be too comfortable.

Yes, the laser pointer was unfortunate. Liked how Maynard just swung around while singing and sort of gestured to the screens as if, "I'll sing this way now."

All in all, very good show. Thought the sound was great. Lights looked super also.

And my two cents, I feel like the setlist is a perfect repertoire of their material. Thoroughly enjoyable rock band. Party on.

lolmoments:
Myself and two brothers sat together to my left, to my right, two dudes, to their right, two chicks. A guy came up to myself and dudeman, and said, "You're in our seats MAN!" So dude and I look at respective tickets. "Nope, sorry. What section are you in?" "ONE OH EIGHT YOU'RE IN OUR .... oh, sorry." And he walked off. "Learn to READ."

Not a minute later a different guy and his girl come over and say "Is anyone sitting here," as two chicks and one dude were gone. Dude to my right explains yes. "Oh there are people in our seats and we don't want to be mean. ;( " Dude says, "Tell THAT woman and make them move?" "Oh..."

Dude's friend came back and thought we had exaggerated. It was good laugh. Our seats must have looked tantalizing.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 4

Great show. Missed Jambi last tour due to a fight next to us. Got to hear it. Didn't get to hear Aenema last tour, got to hear it this time. So personally I was very pleased.

As far as people whining about Maynard not facing the crowd simply: shut up.

From my vantage point, when he was facing the crowd I saw his profile, when he wasn't facing the crowd - I saw his profile. Boo hoo. Nice 'hawk tho.

I laughed a bit when he would sit down behind Danny. Full leather outfit can't be too comfortable.

Yes, the laser pointer was unfortunate. Liked how Maynard just swung around while singing and sort of gestured to the screens as if, "I'll sing this way now."

All in all, very good show. Thought the sound was great. Lights looked super also.

And my two cents, I feel like the setlist is a perfect repertoire of their material. Thoroughly enjoyable rock band. Party on.

lolmoments:
Myself and two brothers sat together to my left, to my right, two dudes, to their right, two chicks. A guy came up to myself and dudeman, and said, "You're in our seats MAN!" So dude and I look at respective tickets. "Nope, sorry. What section are you in?" "ONE OH EIGHT YOU'RE IN OUR .... oh, sorry." And he walked off. "Learn to READ."

Not a minute later a different guy and his girl come over and say "Is anyone sitting here," as two chicks and one dude were gone. Dude to my right explains yes. "Oh there are people in our seats and we don't want to be mean. ;( " Dude says, "Tell THAT woman and make them move?" "Oh..."

Dude's friend came back and thought we had exaggerated. It was good laugh. Our seats must have looked tantalizing.
OFFLINE |  
third.beyond
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM

I'm still not sure how I feel about this show. It was amazing, regardless... but I don't know if I left feeling the way that I expected to feel. I now believe that I left the show feeling the way that Tool wanted the audience to feel.

Where shall I begin...

Of course Maynard faced away from the audience, only seen in silhouette. His goal was to focus the attention on the other members of the band. They are just as essential to the Tool experience as he is, and don't get credited enough.

At times, I forgot Maynard was even on stage. One almost had to strain to pick out his voice amongst the music. However, I believe it is Tool's goal to make the experience not about the members, but about the music. There was no connection between Maynard and the audience whatsoever. He succeeded in accomplishing this. However, I missed the connection that was achievable through him being visible, and his vocals being more distinct. I guess the ultimate question is does one achieve a better connection to a song through it being presented without the singer being visible, and the vocals being less clear... and gaining a deeper connection to the musical instruments, or is a spectator's connection to a song best achieved through the lyrics? I'm not sure yet, but I do miss the emotion that ensues clarity of vocals, particularly pertaining to songs with deep-seated emotion, such as Tool's. I'm not sure yet, but I still felt distant at certain points throughout the show.

Fun tidbits:
- all screens for Jambi were improperly calibrated, and strange to view. Also, during Jambi, the Alex Grey artwork that is usually projected behind them for their first few songs were out of proportion, and no longer displayed until the first screen was dropped.
- For Schism, the side screens were peculiarly positioned
- For Vicarious, the leftmost screen displayed a sliver of alex grey artwork, while the leftmost screen displayed a mirror image of what was playing on the center screens. Either the leftmost screen should have displayed Alex Grey, or the rightmost screen should have had an image of the vicarious video.
- Someone was having fun with a laser pointer for the first half of the show. They were forcefully removed by security during "lost keys"
- Maynard was very untalkative. "Good evening." "Presenting Ashton *something* from tweak bird, also known as *something*... let the drumsterbation begin!." "Remove that drum kit from the stage (or something like that)" "And thank you for coming out tonight". were his only spoken words.
- Lasers were top-notch. Amazing laser show. Lighting was excellent. All visuals with the exception of some of the video displays were superb.
- The crowd really went wild during the intermission. Maynard did walk away from the back screen and join the rest of the band for a moment, and the entire coliseum lit their lighters. It was quite a sight for a sold out show.
- Frisbees, and other fun things were thrown to the audience by Justin, Danny, and Adam at the end of the show.
- Moshing seemed to be non-existant, even though there were quite a few ridiculous looking dancing people toward the back of the floor.
- Lines for the bathroom were unbelievably long for men, but women could use the restrooms with ease. (not too many ladies in the audience)
- The one time I used the restroom, there were three empty bottles of Delsym cough syrup and two empty containers of Zicam cough spray on the floor. X'D
- Last, but not least, I saw guy purchase as rip-off tool tour shirt for 10 dollars from a t-shirt scalper (idk what they are actually called, but they sell the fake tour shirts) after the scalper pulled the shirt out his ass (literally reached back into his pants and pulled it out). Lol. that made my night.

Eh, it was worth 30 bucks. I'll have to see a few more shows this tour to get used to the new feeling obtained from Maynard performing the way he is. He's never been the spot-light kind of guy, but I think he's really pushing it to the limit, at the stake of their live display. Oh well. They're still selling out. As long as they keep rockin' I'll be happy. :D
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

I'm still not sure how I feel about this show. It was amazing, regardless... but I don't know if I left feeling the way that I expected to feel. I now believe that I left the show feeling the way that Tool wanted the audience to feel.

Where shall I begin...

Of course Maynard faced away from the audience, only seen in silhouette. His goal was to focus the attention on the other members of the band. They are just as essential to the Tool experience as he is, and don't get credited enough.

At times, I forgot Maynard was even on stage. One almost had to strain to pick out his voice amongst the music. However, I believe it is Tool's goal to make the experience not about the members, but about the music. There was no connection between Maynard and the audience whatsoever. He succeeded in accomplishing this. However, I missed the connection that was achievable through him being visible, and his vocals being more distinct. I guess the ultimate question is does one achieve a better connection to a song through it being presented without the singer being visible, and the vocals being less clear... and gaining a deeper connection to the musical instruments, or is a spectator's connection to a song best achieved through the lyrics? I'm not sure yet, but I do miss the emotion that ensues clarity of vocals, particularly pertaining to songs with deep-seated emotion, such as Tool's. I'm not sure yet, but I still felt distant at certain points throughout the show.

Fun tidbits:
- all screens for Jambi were improperly calibrated, and strange to view. Also, during Jambi, the Alex Grey artwork that is usually projected behind them for their first few songs were out of proportion, and no longer displayed until the first screen was dropped.
- For Schism, the side screens were peculiarly positioned
- For Vicarious, the leftmost screen displayed a sliver of alex grey artwork, while the leftmost screen displayed a mirror image of what was playing on the center screens. Either the leftmost screen should have displayed Alex Grey, or the rightmost screen should have had an image of the vicarious video.
- Someone was having fun with a laser pointer for the first half of the show. They were forcefully removed by security during "lost keys"
- Maynard was very untalkative. "Good evening." "Presenting Ashton *something* from tweak bird, also known as *something*... let the drumsterbation begin!." "Remove that drum kit from the stage (or something like that)" "And thank you for coming out tonight". were his only spoken words.
- Lasers were top-notch. Amazing laser show. Lighting was excellent. All visuals with the exception of some of the video displays were superb.
- The crowd really went wild during the intermission. Maynard did walk away from the back screen and join the rest of the band for a moment, and the entire coliseum lit their lighters. It was quite a sight for a sold out show.
- Frisbees, and other fun things were thrown to the audience by Justin, Danny, and Adam at the end of the show.
- Moshing seemed to be non-existant, even though there were quite a few ridiculous looking dancing people toward the back of the floor.
- Lines for the bathroom were unbelievably long for men, but women could use the restrooms with ease. (not too many ladies in the audience)
- The one time I used the restroom, there were three empty bottles of Delsym cough syrup and two empty containers of Zicam cough spray on the floor. X'D
- Last, but not least, I saw guy purchase as rip-off tool tour shirt for 10 dollars from a t-shirt scalper (idk what they are actually called, but they sell the fake tour shirts) after the scalper pulled the shirt out his ass (literally reached back into his pants and pulled it out). Lol. that made my night.

Eh, it was worth 30 bucks. I'll have to see a few more shows this tour to get used to the new feeling obtained from Maynard performing the way he is. He's never been the spot-light kind of guy, but I think he's really pushing it to the limit, at the stake of their live display. Oh well. They're still selling out. As long as they keep rockin' I'll be happy. :D
OFFLINE |  
third.beyond
07-29-2009, 10:48 PM

One more thing. I strained to listen to maynard's lyrics during aenema. They were changed up a bit. But it sounded to me at one point that he said "fret for your blogging" Lol. Did anyone else hear that?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

One more thing. I strained to listen to maynard's lyrics during aenema. They were changed up a bit. But it sounded to me at one point that he said "fret for your blogging" Lol. Did anyone else hear that?
OFFLINE |  
ToolNGT
07-29-2009, 11:35 PM

I loved this show. It was my first Tool show and im also very young into my love of tool. Literally i have liked them for like 6 months(im a teenager though soo..). But, my god was this show great. Aenima is my favorite album and aenema was the highlight of my night. It was great, i was yelling every word and so was basically everyone in the whole stadium. Adam, Danny, and Justin were obviously spot on. The only real problem was maynards vocals on Rosetta Stoned. I just couldn't understand one word but that could have been the acoustics in the colliseum or maynard was just quiet. ehh.

I thought that maynard was quite into it. Not talkative or anything but he really seemed into the songs. But, he also seemed bored in some songs. I sat on the right side(from maynards view point) of the stage and a bit up. Great view of the stage!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

I loved this show. It was my first Tool show and im also very young into my love of tool. Literally i have liked them for like 6 months(im a teenager though soo..). But, my god was this show great. Aenima is my favorite album and aenema was the highlight of my night. It was great, i was yelling every word and so was basically everyone in the whole stadium. Adam, Danny, and Justin were obviously spot on. The only real problem was maynards vocals on Rosetta Stoned. I just couldn't understand one word but that could have been the acoustics in the colliseum or maynard was just quiet. ehh.

I thought that maynard was quite into it. Not talkative or anything but he really seemed into the songs. But, he also seemed bored in some songs. I sat on the right side(from maynards view point) of the stage and a bit up. Great view of the stage!!!
OFFLINE |  
univonc
07-30-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfive&1 View Post
'Good evening'
'Thanks for coming out'

Let me add to that. The crowd were a bunch of idiots around me. I sat in section 115 which was straight back and only 3 rows are there. Great unobstructed view.

In front i had "monkey boy"who the whole night stood against the rail a did a chimpanzee up and down dance with his hands on the rail. The seats next to me on the left were continuously filled by the "next mystery guest", only to be removed by the female usher.

Then what beats all is that some asshole next to my son on the right was evidently drunk and possibly on something else followed us to the car yelling at the fact that i had an empty seat to hold my recording equipment (which was concealed and not in anyone face). he was evidently more pissed that i used that seat that I paid for holding stuff, despite the multiple unfilled seats around him.

The crowd for Slipknot was more tame than this. would I go see TOOL again? Absolutely, but the crowd made it hard to fully enjoy a full spectacle.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
'Good evening'
'Thanks for coming out'

Let me add to that. The crowd were a bunch of idiots around me. I sat in section 115 which was straight back and only 3 rows are there. Great unobstructed view.

In front i had "monkey boy"who the whole night stood against the rail a did a chimpanzee up and down dance with his hands on the rail. The seats next to me on the left were continuously filled by the "next mystery guest", only to be removed by the female usher.

Then what beats all is that some asshole next to my son on the right was evidently drunk and possibly on something else followed us to the car yelling at the fact that i had an empty seat to hold my recording equipment (which was concealed and not in anyone face). he was evidently more pissed that i used that seat that I paid for holding stuff, despite the multiple unfilled seats around him.

The crowd for Slipknot was more tame than this. would I go see TOOL again? Absolutely, but the crowd made it hard to fully enjoy a full spectacle.
OFFLINE |  
twentyfive&1
07-30-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaafajita View Post

We must have been next to each other - fight to the right, mosh to the left. I had my daughter with me (her 2nd Tool show). She is only 5'4" and a whole bunch of tall and/or goofy bastards kept forcing their way in front of her. She couldn't see shit and had to hold up her cell phone just to get a shitty glimpse of the stage.

Oh, and some really fucked up girl was hitting on my kid. VERY CREEPY.

But the beligerent pricks bullying by and spilling their beers on us with no apology was just about too much.

Not very proud of my home state right now. See you down in Tennessee Bay?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaafajita View Post

We must have been next to each other - fight to the right, mosh to the left. I had my daughter with me (her 2nd Tool show). She is only 5'4" and a whole bunch of tall and/or goofy bastards kept forcing their way in front of her. She couldn't see shit and had to hold up her cell phone just to get a shitty glimpse of the stage.

But the beligerent pricks bullying by and spilling their beers on us with no apology was just about too much.

OFFLINE |  
sohnjchlick
07-30-2009, 05:09 AM

This being the 8th time I have seen Tool, I can easily say this was the worst show I have seen. The band was ok but Maynard was terrible. It seemed like he did not care. And I am deeply offended by the setlist. I was pretty much the same setlist I saw two years ago but shorter. I was expecting at least one new song or at the least a new take on a old song. The concert was a money grab and I am just disappointed. I thought I would never say this but Tool was just lazy and I will be hesitant on buying Tool tickets in the future.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

This being the 8th time I have seen Tool, I can easily say this was the worst show I have seen. The band was ok but Maynard was terrible. It seemed like he did not care. And I am deeply offended by the setlist. I was pretty much the same setlist I saw two years ago but shorter. I was expecting at least one new song or at the least a new take on a old song. The concert was a money grab and I am just disappointed. I thought I would never say this but Tool was just lazy and I will be hesitant on buying Tool tickets in the future.
OFFLINE |  
McMAN71
07-30-2009, 05:10 AM

It seems that a lot of the negative response about the band's performance centers around the fact that Maynard is not being a frontman anymore. Granted, I remember the old days when Maynard was out front, and it was awesome. But back then, Tool didn't have the light show or the video screens like they do now. Tool, and Maynard especially, have never been ones to make it about themselves. They aren't in their videos. They give very few interviews. Now, they have the means to do the same thing with their stage show.

Last night I paid very little attention to what the band was doing onstage and it was awesome. I have to give some serious props to Junior, because the show was incredible. I think that Maynard has now become the "anti-frontman", which may just be the most punk rock rove that any singer can make. He stands in the back, hiding in the shadows. He changes his voice electronicly to suit the song. He doesn't want you to notice him, because there is so much cool shit going on all around him. Pay attention to the lights and the video, because its the best thing going today. Every other show I go to, the band makes it about themselves. They dance around the stage, talk shit, do long and intricate solos and we eat it up. We expect it from everyone. Sure, other bands have good light shows and use video walls, but it is more of an accent instead of the main focus. I believe that in future shows, Maynard may continue to hide even more. Reviews from 3 or 4 years from may include "we caught a glipmse of Maynard tonight!" My final point to this is that I can understand why we don't get certain older songs that require Maynard to be up front. It wouldn't work for this model. Maybe Junior is the frontman now!

Btw, was it just me, or did we get a couple snippets of new music last night? Specifically, the music the band played prior to Schism, Lost Keys and Vicarious. It was no more than a minute each, contained no riffs or real melodies, but the structure of the music didn't quite fit the songs that they preceded.

For all the people that tend to stay away from the boards before their show: because we knew the setlist, we knew that there would be nothing after Vicarious. The second Maynard exited stage right (again, anti frontman!) we were out, got to the car and were on Monroe Rd is less than 10 minutes AHEAD of the traffic. Most everyone was still hanging around waiting to hear hear Sober. The poor drunken rednecks in front of us were chanting it the whole evening.

All things considered, it was a great night, and I will definately be seeing them again.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 AM   #17
Level 4 - Thinker

It seems that a lot of the negative response about the band's performance centers around the fact that Maynard is not being a frontman anymore. Granted, I remember the old days when Maynard was out front, and it was awesome. But back then, Tool didn't have the light show or the video screens like they do now. Tool, and Maynard especially, have never been ones to make it about themselves. They aren't in their videos. They give very few interviews. Now, they have the means to do the same thing with their stage show.

Last night I paid very little attention to what the band was doing onstage and it was awesome. I have to give some serious props to Junior, because the show was incredible. I think that Maynard has now become the "anti-frontman", which may just be the most punk rock rove that any singer can make. He stands in the back, hiding in the shadows. He changes his voice electronicly to suit the song. He doesn't want you to notice him, because there is so much cool shit going on all around him. Pay attention to the lights and the video, because its the best thing going today. Every other show I go to, the band makes it about themselves. They dance around the stage, talk shit, do long and intricate solos and we eat it up. We expect it from everyone. Sure, other bands have good light shows and use video walls, but it is more of an accent instead of the main focus. I believe that in future shows, Maynard may continue to hide even more. Reviews from 3 or 4 years from may include "we caught a glipmse of Maynard tonight!" My final point to this is that I can understand why we don't get certain older songs that require Maynard to be up front. It wouldn't work for this model. Maybe Junior is the frontman now!

Btw, was it just me, or did we get a couple snippets of new music last night? Specifically, the music the band played prior to Schism, Lost Keys and Vicarious. It was no more than a minute each, contained no riffs or real melodies, but the structure of the music didn't quite fit the songs that they preceded.

For all the people that tend to stay away from the boards before their show: because we knew the setlist, we knew that there would be nothing after Vicarious. The second Maynard exited stage right (again, anti frontman!) we were out, got to the car and were on Monroe Rd is less than 10 minutes AHEAD of the traffic. Most everyone was still hanging around waiting to hear hear Sober. The poor drunken rednecks in front of us were chanting it the whole evening.

All things considered, it was a great night, and I will definately be seeing them again.
OFFLINE |  
eXtreme98
07-30-2009, 05:11 AM

My first concert ever and I must say it was epic :P

Yeah, I saw some dude getting removed from the G.A. area. I was on Adams side at the very top @ 107.

Anyway, my favorite was Rosetta Stoned :)

Tweak bird was awesome and when the drummer played with Tool and just jammed with DC that was cool to watch.

Over all, amazing concert and I will definitely see them again.

Last edited by eXtreme98; 07-30-2009 at 06:22 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

My first concert ever and I must say it was epic :P

Yeah, I saw some dude getting removed from the G.A. area. I was on Adams side at the very top @ 107.

Anyway, my favorite was Rosetta Stoned :)

Tweak bird was awesome and when the drummer played with Tool and just jammed with DC that was cool to watch.

Over all, amazing concert and I will definitely see them again.

Last edited by eXtreme98; 07-30-2009 at 06:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
McMAN71
07-30-2009, 05:43 AM

For all visitors to Charlotte: located to the west of Charlotte is Gaston county. Gaston county is a mostly rural "old south" area that happens to be the birthplace of Fred Durst. In fact, Durst lived in Gastonia until junior year of high school, when his father was foced forced to resign from the sherrifs dept. Although there are many fine people living in Gaston county, and parts of it are quite nice, there are a disprapotionate number of young men who look, talk, dress and act like Mr. Durst. In 2009. I believe that every one of those young men were at the Tool show last night. They are no longer represenative of Charlotte as a whole, and the were thankfully not the majority of those in attendance last night, but they were there, as they are in many rock shows and they tend to really make their presence known to the detrement of those around them. As long as you realize that they cant help it, and they really are mostly harmless, you can begin to ignore them and have a great time at the show.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

For all visitors to Charlotte: located to the west of Charlotte is Gaston county. Gaston county is a mostly rural "old south" area that happens to be the birthplace of Fred Durst. In fact, Durst lived in Gastonia until junior year of high school, when his father was foced forced to resign from the sherrifs dept. Although there are many fine people living in Gaston county, and parts of it are quite nice, there are a disprapotionate number of young men who look, talk, dress and act like Mr. Durst. In 2009. I believe that every one of those young men were at the Tool show last night. They are no longer represenative of Charlotte as a whole, and the were thankfully not the majority of those in attendance last night, but they were there, as they are in many rock shows and they tend to really make their presence known to the detrement of those around them. As long as you realize that they cant help it, and they really are mostly harmless, you can begin to ignore them and have a great time at the show.
OFFLINE |  
l David l
07-30-2009, 05:50 AM

Second show this tour, first being Duluth, which I did not review because I thought it was medicore for a Tool concert and didnt want to add to all the negative reviews. 4th time overall, last two being on the previous tour.

First off, way the fuck better than Duluth. I had section 118 which was just before mid way back and half way up at Duluth, view wasnt that great. I heard how much better it is to get seats so you can see everything.

Well I had floor tix for this concert. I loved being able to work my way closer and closer to the band and actually seeing the expressions on their faces.

Sound was 10000 times better than Duluth. It was louuuud which I prefer, and could actually hear Maynard trying to sing this time.

I missed Jambi cus fucking traffic was rediculous and not to mention you had to pay to park, so if you were about the 5th car in line before paying, it still took 5 minutes to get up there. That shit slowed the traffic down big time.

Highlights for me were Flood and Aenema. Also the extended sections from Stinkfist and Schism, love those so much. I think they need to work on the drum off/solo section in Lateralus. Its cool and everything and I love watching Danny wail away on the drums, but I think he coulda done a better job. Like last tour was a bit better on that part.

You guys complain a lot about the crowd. Its a rock concert in the south. Youre gonna see a lot of idiots. Just ignore them unless they are elbowing you in the face or something. I was fine on the floor, packed in there.

Very nice to be up so close to the band. During lateralus and a few other songs, you could see Danny smiling just having a blast, same with Justin. Adam was getting into it too, which he's usually a little more reserved. Maynard was Maynard, no surprise there but didnt ruin anything for me. It was expected. He did move around and dance back there in the shadows though.

OMG about the line for the bathrooms. Obviously no line for womens cus the crowd was 90% male, but seriously. I left right before Lost Keys to take a piss, got to the line for the bathroom in 20 seconds. Ended up missing the beginning of Rosetta. The bathroom was a line of about 6 or 8 stalls, and you had to wait in a small little hallway next to a bunch of big sweaty dudes. The girl I was with was waiting outside and got hit on by like every guy there, so she just told them shes waiting for her boyfriend and some guy made a smart comment right when I walked out. Kinda funny but glad it didnt turn into anything bad.

Over all the band as a 3/4 was tight as hell. Very energetic, smiling, having a good time. They were really appreciative after Vicarious before they got off the stage. I came within 50 ft of catching Dannys frisbee (not sure what its called?). When he threw one of his sticks to the crowd, he chucked it hard as hell and it hit off something on the cealing and bounced back to the stage, he laughed.

hmm, thats about it from me. Still think its funny how most of the crowd starts singing "Ill keep digging" before the extended part in Stinkfist, and they get all the way to "feel something" before they realize its different.

Hope they do one more album and one more tour.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

Second show this tour, first being Duluth, which I did not review because I thought it was medicore for a Tool concert and didnt want to add to all the negative reviews. 4th time overall, last two being on the previous tour.

First off, way the fuck better than Duluth. I had section 118 which was just before mid way back and half way up at Duluth, view wasnt that great. I heard how much better it is to get seats so you can see everything.

Well I had floor tix for this concert. I loved being able to work my way closer and closer to the band and actually seeing the expressions on their faces.

Sound was 10000 times better than Duluth. It was louuuud which I prefer, and could actually hear Maynard trying to sing this time.

I missed Jambi cus fucking traffic was rediculous and not to mention you had to pay to park, so if you were about the 5th car in line before paying, it still took 5 minutes to get up there. That shit slowed the traffic down big time.

Highlights for me were Flood and Aenema. Also the extended sections from Stinkfist and Schism, love those so much. I think they need to work on the drum off/solo section in Lateralus. Its cool and everything and I love watching Danny wail away on the drums, but I think he coulda done a better job. Like last tour was a bit better on that part.

You guys complain a lot about the crowd. Its a rock concert in the south. Youre gonna see a lot of idiots. Just ignore them unless they are elbowing you in the face or something. I was fine on the floor, packed in there.

Very nice to be up so close to the band. During lateralus and a few other songs, you could see Danny smiling just having a blast, same with Justin. Adam was getting into it too, which he's usually a little more reserved. Maynard was Maynard, no surprise there but didnt ruin anything for me. It was expected. He did move around and dance back there in the shadows though.

OMG about the line for the bathrooms. Obviously no line for womens cus the crowd was 90% male, but seriously. I left right before Lost Keys to take a piss, got to the line for the bathroom in 20 seconds. Ended up missing the beginning of Rosetta. The bathroom was a line of about 6 or 8 stalls, and you had to wait in a small little hallway next to a bunch of big sweaty dudes. The girl I was with was waiting outside and got hit on by like every guy there, so she just told them shes waiting for her boyfriend and some guy made a smart comment right when I walked out. Kinda funny but glad it didnt turn into anything bad.

Over all the band as a 3/4 was tight as hell. Very energetic, smiling, having a good time. They were really appreciative after Vicarious before they got off the stage. I came within 50 ft of catching Dannys frisbee (not sure what its called?). When he threw one of his sticks to the crowd, he chucked it hard as hell and it hit off something on the cealing and bounced back to the stage, he laughed.

hmm, thats about it from me. Still think its funny how most of the crowd starts singing "Ill keep digging" before the extended part in Stinkfist, and they get all the way to "feel something" before they realize its different.

Hope they do one more album and one more tour.
OFFLINE |  
kanaduh
07-30-2009, 06:02 AM

in a rush to get on the road for fairfax so i'm sorry if anything is repeated from previous reviews:

-I hope other people can back me up on this, I was fucking pissed last night! After Flood in the brief improvization before Aenema, Adam walked over and said something to both danny and justin. I was waiting for aenema to start, but then danny started playing the first few seconds of...eulogy! I swear to god I heard it. Then 5 seconds later, adam started playing the guitar parts to eulogy as well. It was only for a few seconds, but i'm 100% sure I heard that. My heart stopped for a good 10 seconds in excitement.

Alas, those opening notes of Aenema were quite disapointing.

Next I have to mention this venue... "Bojangles Coliseum"
I've never seen a venue like this before!
Security did not exist, seriously. "jwb" and I walked from our hotel through the back entrance of the venue before the show and managed to get into a restricted area. We talked with the video tech for tool for a bit and got approached by event staff asking how the hell we got back in the tour bus area. There was nothing blocking it off...

After throwing back some beers at the hotel, we walked back around 7:30 after the doors opened and once again walked through this back entrance. There was one significantly overweight security guard sitting on her chair who saw jwb and I hop the barrier, but she didn't do anything - not that she was really capable of doing anything. We wander into this tented area where they are selling beer and "bojangles chicken".

Turns out we somehow already got into the ticket area without showing our ticket. We were able to walk right into the venue without beign searched or getting tickets scanned. It was hilarious - The security made absolutely no sense. There was one entrance from the tented area with 6 guards using those special wands for finding metal on people entering - yet right beside that door there was another door that was wide open with free access in/out of the venue. We just walked right in...

Pretty standard show for tool. Maynard didn't say much and faced the back for 90% of the show. Danny is a monster. Justin was drunk. Adam was typical adam. Visuals were incredible. I'm still ticked about that euology tease though.

Spent a good 15 minutes chatting with Junior before the show... thanks again.

On the way out of the venue we saw Ashton of Tweak Bird sitting on the steps having a smoke. Hundreds of people walked by and didn't recognize him. We talked for about 10 minutes. He's an awesome guy. Every day of this tour I'm gaining more and more respect for Tweak Bird.

that's all for now, gotta hit the road for fairfax...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #21
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

in a rush to get on the road for fairfax so i'm sorry if anything is repeated from previous reviews:

-I hope other people can back me up on this, I was fucking pissed last night! After Flood in the brief improvization before Aenema, Adam walked over and said something to both danny and justin. I was waiting for aenema to start, but then danny started playing the first few seconds of...eulogy! I swear to god I heard it. Then 5 seconds later, adam started playing the guitar parts to eulogy as well. It was only for a few seconds, but i'm 100% sure I heard that. My heart stopped for a good 10 seconds in excitement.

Alas, those opening notes of Aenema were quite disapointing.

Next I have to mention this venue... "Bojangles Coliseum"
I've never seen a venue like this before!
Security did not exist, seriously. "jwb" and I walked from our hotel through the back entrance of the venue before the show and managed to get into a restricted area. We talked with the video tech for tool for a bit and got approached by event staff asking how the hell we got back in the tour bus area. There was nothing blocking it off...

After throwing back some beers at the hotel, we walked back around 7:30 after the doors opened and once again walked through this back entrance. There was one significantly overweight security guard sitting on her chair who saw jwb and I hop the barrier, but she didn't do anything - not that she was really capable of doing anything. We wander into this tented area where they are selling beer and "bojangles chicken".

Turns out we somehow already got into the ticket area without showing our ticket. We were able to walk right into the venue without beign searched or getting tickets scanned. It was hilarious - The security made absolutely no sense. There was one entrance from the tented area with 6 guards using those special wands for finding metal on people entering - yet right beside that door there was another door that was wide open with free access in/out of the venue. We just walked right in...

Pretty standard show for tool. Maynard didn't say much and faced the back for 90% of the show. Danny is a monster. Justin was drunk. Adam was typical adam. Visuals were incredible. I'm still ticked about that euology tease though.

Spent a good 15 minutes chatting with Junior before the show... thanks again.

On the way out of the venue we saw Ashton of Tweak Bird sitting on the steps having a smoke. Hundreds of people walked by and didn't recognize him. We talked for about 10 minutes. He's an awesome guy. Every day of this tour I'm gaining more and more respect for Tweak Bird.

that's all for now, gotta hit the road for fairfax...
OFFLINE |  
Rated R1
07-30-2009, 06:13 AM

This was my third show. I saw them in Knoxville in '02 and in Greenville on the 10Kdays tour. Everyone is seems to focus their negativity on Maynard, but he seemed to be more animated then he was at the previous shows. The only thing I didn't care for with respect to Maynard was him singing Vicarious through the megaphone. The worst thing was is the fucking traffic. I left Columbia, SC at 6:00 and was within 2 miles of the arena by 7:20. I did not get to my seat until the beginning of 46+2! It was ridiculous! I was so pissed I missed Jambi because it is such a kick ass song to start the show. I will NEVER go to a show at that arena again. I'm really hoping this was not a farewell tour. My next goal is to see them in an outdoor venue. Sorry I am kind of rambling, but I am still recovering...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third show. I saw them in Knoxville in '02 and in Greenville on the 10Kdays tour. Everyone is seems to focus their negativity on Maynard, but he seemed to be more animated then he was at the previous shows. The only thing I didn't care for with respect to Maynard was him singing Vicarious through the megaphone. The worst thing was is the fucking traffic. I left Columbia, SC at 6:00 and was within 2 miles of the arena by 7:20. I did not get to my seat until the beginning of 46+2! It was ridiculous! I was so pissed I missed Jambi because it is such a kick ass song to start the show. I will NEVER go to a show at that arena again. I'm really hoping this was not a farewell tour. My next goal is to see them in an outdoor venue. Sorry I am kind of rambling, but I am still recovering...
OFFLINE |  
I.H.P.
07-30-2009, 07:04 AM

3rd Tool show...1st since 2002 Lateralus, so setlist and visuals were all new to me.

Thought it was a great show. Sat in section 116 which was a straight view to the stage.

Seems to me the first four songs were in place to to get your adrenaline flowing, in the event it wasn't already. Lost Keys started a complete mind fuck for the next 75 minutes! Then again maybe it was the weed, considering I couldn't fire up because of the late arrivals and the security guard assisting others to their seats. I got my mind right during Schism and from there it was nothing short of mesmerizing. It's hard to select one moment that was the highlight of the show.

Now the negatives...Charlotte Coliseum, Cricket Arena, Independence Arena, Bojangles Arena...whatever the name of the venue may be for the calender year. This place sucks. Its old, the acoustics are bad and the traffic congestion, just to get in and out, is unreal. Seriously, why is this building still standing? It's great for nostalgic reasons as I have seen many events there throughout my 36 years but I seriuosly doubt I will watch another show at this venue. Then again I said the same thing after seeing APC there five years ago.

Overall the show was worth my $60. Not as good as 2002, but then again nothing will ever touch the Lateralus tour.

Wish I was young again and could travel from show to show but it's back to the real world for me. School starts in a few weeks and I got a new group of Astronomy students to teach.

Thanks TOOL!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

3rd Tool show...1st since 2002 Lateralus, so setlist and visuals were all new to me.

Thought it was a great show. Sat in section 116 which was a straight view to the stage.

Seems to me the first four songs were in place to to get your adrenaline flowing, in the event it wasn't already. Lost Keys started a complete mind fuck for the next 75 minutes! Then again maybe it was the weed, considering I couldn't fire up because of the late arrivals and the security guard assisting others to their seats. I got my mind right during Schism and from there it was nothing short of mesmerizing. It's hard to select one moment that was the highlight of the show.

Now the negatives...Charlotte Coliseum, Cricket Arena, Independence Arena, Bojangles Arena...whatever the name of the venue may be for the calender year. This place sucks. Its old, the acoustics are bad and the traffic congestion, just to get in and out, is unreal. Seriously, why is this building still standing? It's great for nostalgic reasons as I have seen many events there throughout my 36 years but I seriuosly doubt I will watch another show at this venue. Then again I said the same thing after seeing APC there five years ago.

Overall the show was worth my $60. Not as good as 2002, but then again nothing will ever touch the Lateralus tour.

Wish I was young again and could travel from show to show but it's back to the real world for me. School starts in a few weeks and I got a new group of Astronomy students to teach.

Thanks TOOL!
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM

The dude above me is right man, the fucking traffic was terrible. Me and my girl sat there so long we just opened the 'car bar' and started pregaming with some Coronas. Took forever till I found out about the back way in. That's what she said.

Nard kinda sucked I thought. I think he only sings around 40% of the actual lyrics, maybe less. The other 60% is gibberish. I think we saw Puscyfur performing with Nard's band tonight, but no Nard. It's a shame you couldn't have been with us last night Maynard. The crowd on the floor noticed it too man. You could VISIBLY see the crowd's energy drop when he would start half-assing lyrics.

My girl saw them for the first time and said it seemed like the lead singer didn't want to be there. She is wise beyond her years for a noob.

Ok, enough about Puscyfur. The positives:

First - The crowd. Yep, you guys. Everyone was super fucking cool man. Even the hipster mosh kids were decent. Dude, this kid right beside me got down on the ground and started praying during Lateralus. First time I've ever seen prayer at a rock concert.

Adam Jones - The best part of the night for me was when he started jamming with that talk-box during Jambi. That's probably his best guitar solo.

Danny - Awesome as always man, I know you get props with pretty much every post on here, but you earn it man.

Lights, video, laser- Killer. They make the show. You know you're good, Junior, whenever your lights get the same roaring applause as the band. Junior was better than Maynard last night.

I won't have my hopes as high in Cincinasty, so I think I will have a better time. Oh yeah, my girl won't be there bitching, which will be ever better.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

The dude above me is right man, the fucking traffic was terrible. Me and my girl sat there so long we just opened the 'car bar' and started pregaming with some Coronas. Took forever till I found out about the back way in. That's what she said.

Nard kinda sucked I thought. I think he only sings around 40% of the actual lyrics, maybe less. The other 60% is gibberish. I think we saw Puscyfur performing with Nard's band tonight, but no Nard. It's a shame you couldn't have been with us last night Maynard. The crowd on the floor noticed it too man. You could VISIBLY see the crowd's energy drop when he would start half-assing lyrics.

My girl saw them for the first time and said it seemed like the lead singer didn't want to be there. She is wise beyond her years for a noob.

Ok, enough about Puscyfur. The positives:

First - The crowd. Yep, you guys. Everyone was super fucking cool man. Even the hipster mosh kids were decent. Dude, this kid right beside me got down on the ground and started praying during Lateralus. First time I've ever seen prayer at a rock concert.

Adam Jones - The best part of the night for me was when he started jamming with that talk-box during Jambi. That's probably his best guitar solo.

Danny - Awesome as always man, I know you get props with pretty much every post on here, but you earn it man.

Lights, video, laser- Killer. They make the show. You know you're good, Junior, whenever your lights get the same roaring applause as the band. Junior was better than Maynard last night.

I won't have my hopes as high in Cincinasty, so I think I will have a better time. Oh yeah, my girl won't be there bitching, which will be ever better.
07-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

I heard that also, I got excited for a little while before they started aenema.

I was on the floor about 10-15 feet back from the rail right infront of Justin. Lots of drunk idiots all around me pushing there way to the front. After the first few songs it started to calm down, but at the start of the show I was getting pushed from every direction possible. Towards the end of the show there was a mosh pit a few rows of people infront of me, which is probably the same one mentioned before in the thread.

This was my third Tool show (Greenville SC, Winston Salem NC 07), I would have to say it was on par with the SC show from 2 years ago. It was nice being so close to the band also, had a good view of the band for the entire show pretty much. Only problems were that I couldn't understand anything Maynards sang during Rosetta Stoned. I also noticed that Maynard was singing something different during Aenema, but I couldn't hear what it was.

Last edited by NCToolfan; 07-30-2009 at 08:04 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post

I was on the floor about 10-15 feet back from the rail right infront of Justin. Lots of drunk idiots all around me pushing there way to the front. After the first few songs it started to calm down, but at the start of the show I was getting pushed from every direction possible. Towards the end of the show there was a mosh pit a few rows of people infront of me, which is probably the same one mentioned before in the thread.

This was my third Tool show (Greenville SC, Winston Salem NC 07), I would have to say it was on par with the SC show from 2 years ago. It was nice being so close to the band also, had a good view of the band for the entire show pretty much. Only problems were that I couldn't understand anything Maynards sang during Rosetta Stoned. I also noticed that Maynard was singing something different during Aenema, but I couldn't hear what it was.

Last edited by NCToolfan; 07-30-2009 at 08:04 AM..
OFFLINE |  
vortex2177's Avatar vortex2177
07-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Tool fan since 92. This was my 3rd show. The band played just fine, but the acoustics were horrible. The traffic and venue were ridiculous as well, as were the crowd. That's my own fault for buying floor tickets at 32 years old. I would be ECSTATIC if at least 2/3 of that crowd ended up in Arizona Bay. Too bad they don't live in California.....
As far as the bitching about Maynard and set lists, LOL. It's their music, they can play whatever they want, and I love the fact that Maynard doesn't feel the need to be a rock star and suck up to a crowd. Let him do his thing and quit fucking whining. He probably doesn't like you anyway.
Overall a good experience for me personally and as always, well worth the money. That being said, I will NEVER AGAIN visit the Bojangles Coliseum.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool fan since 92. This was my 3rd show. The band played just fine, but the acoustics were horrible. The traffic and venue were ridiculous as well, as were the crowd. That's my own fault for buying floor tickets at 32 years old. I would be ECSTATIC if at least 2/3 of that crowd ended up in Arizona Bay. Too bad they don't live in California.....
As far as the bitching about Maynard and set lists, LOL. It's their music, they can play whatever they want, and I love the fact that Maynard doesn't feel the need to be a rock star and suck up to a crowd. Let him do his thing and quit fucking whining. He probably doesn't like you anyway.
Overall a good experience for me personally and as always, well worth the money. That being said, I will NEVER AGAIN visit the Bojangles Coliseum.
OFFLINE |  
07-30-2009, 08:27 AM

P.S. I LOVE the synth noodling. It seems to get longer every time I see them, and being a long time electronic music fan (and shitty producer) that really appeals to me.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

P.S. I LOVE the synth noodling. It seems to get longer every time I see them, and being a long time electronic music fan (and shitty producer) that really appeals to me.
OFFLINE |  
third.beyond
07-30-2009, 08:33 AM

People mentioned a eulogy tease, which I heard... but it was so brief that it didn't have much of an effect on me. I also recall Adam playing a few notes from pushit, between songs. I got really pumped for that.

I also noticed the rain / thunder after rosetta stoned. Since this was my first show this tour, I wasn't aware that it was a typical intermission between songs. Made me think they were about to bust out some wings / 10k days.

Anyone else hear that pushit tease?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

People mentioned a eulogy tease, which I heard... but it was so brief that it didn't have much of an effect on me. I also recall Adam playing a few notes from pushit, between songs. I got really pumped for that.

I also noticed the rain / thunder after rosetta stoned. Since this was my first show this tour, I wasn't aware that it was a typical intermission between songs. Made me think they were about to bust out some wings / 10k days.

OFFLINE |  
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM

No, but I did notice the Eulogy tease as well as the potential 10,000 Days thunder.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

No, but I did notice the Eulogy tease as well as the potential 10,000 Days thunder.
OFFLINE |  
twentyfive&1
07-30-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCToolfan View Post

That's exactly where I was too, so I know what you are talking about. Your entire perception matches mine. The Mosh kids were having a really good time. The fight crowd to the right - not so much! It reminded me of the lyric 'crashes on my left and one on my right'.

I could sense some real tension waiting for Aenema to start. I was so focused on praying for H that I missed the other tunes hinted.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #30
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCToolfan View Post

That's exactly where I was too, so I know what you are talking about. Your entire perception matches mine. The Mosh kids were having a really good time. The fight crowd to the right - not so much! It reminded me of the lyric 'crashes on my left and one on my right'.

I could sense some real tension waiting for Aenema to start. I was so focused on praying for H that I missed the other tunes hinted.
OFFLINE |  
mohaafajita
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Yea, I probably saw her and you. I could have been right next to you as I recall a smaller girl holding a cell phone up right beside me. I hopped into the mosh a couple times, but mostly I jammed to myself, harder than anyone else around me it seemed. I was gettin the fuck down. It was my first Tool concert, so I was feeling the music go through me. The black security guard dude was a prick, but what can you expect. He shined his stupid light during Stinkfist(?) i think at the fighters, wow man, that's going to do a lot. I smelled weed and cigs throughout the whole time. Hell I even lit up a cig myself for a couple of minutes.

I also yelled out play something from Opiate, with a reply from a guy behind me saying, " That's not gonna happen." But hey, it was worth a shot.

Traffic was horrific. I was sitting there for possibly 45 minutes, in the main street too, waiting to get out, very unorginized.

!

Last edited by marcus; 07-30-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Yea, I probably saw her and you. I could have been right next to you as I recall a smaller girl holding a cell phone up right beside me. I hopped into the mosh a couple times, but mostly I jammed to myself, harder than anyone else around me it seemed. I was gettin the fuck down. It was my first Tool concert, so I was feeling the music go through me. The black security guard dude was a prick, but what can you expect. He shined his stupid light during Stinkfist(?) i think at the fighters, wow man, that's going to do a lot. I smelled weed and cigs throughout the whole time. Hell I even lit up a cig myself for a couple of minutes.

I also yelled out play something from Opiate, with a reply from a guy behind me saying, " That's not gonna happen." But hey, it was worth a shot.

Traffic was horrific. I was sitting there for possibly 45 minutes, in the main street too, waiting to get out, very unorginized.

!

Last edited by marcus; 07-30-2009 at 10:37 AM..
OFFLINE |  
mlbrady89
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

Ha i registered just to post on this thread. I am from charlotte and was stoked to finally not have to travel to see tool. I had general admission tickets and was happy it wasnt packed down on the floor. Funny enough i believe my last show at bojangles(cricket arena then) was a perfect circle so i expected similar audio. It was a bit loud at times but better than it being too quiet. Visuals were amazing as usual. Expected setlist, the jam during schism was sick and maynards shinanigans were humorous as usual. With that being said, I am very dissapointed in my home city for the amount of redneck assholes in attendence for this show. Rude belligerent people looking for a fight. Tools performances are visually stimulating and having to keep an eye on people around you ruins this aspect. I still had an awesome time, i expected more out of charlotte and its tool fans. Its a toss up on whether ill be returning for a tool show in the queen city.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Ha i registered just to post on this thread. I am from charlotte and was stoked to finally not have to travel to see tool. I had general admission tickets and was happy it wasnt packed down on the floor. Funny enough i believe my last show at bojangles(cricket arena then) was a perfect circle so i expected similar audio. It was a bit loud at times but better than it being too quiet. Visuals were amazing as usual. Expected setlist, the jam during schism was sick and maynards shinanigans were humorous as usual. With that being said, I am very dissapointed in my home city for the amount of redneck assholes in attendence for this show. Rude belligerent people looking for a fight. Tools performances are visually stimulating and having to keep an eye on people around you ruins this aspect. I still had an awesome time, i expected more out of charlotte and its tool fans. Its a toss up on whether ill be returning for a tool show in the queen city.
OFFLINE |  
hot mess
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM

sorry for everyone that got surrounded by dumbasses. there's always going to be a good percentage of idiots at a tool show, but i really lucked up. thanks to angela for helping me secure a rail spot and to kat and her boyfriend for saving my space when i had to pee or re-beer. seriously the nicest people i've ever met at a tool show, one of the biggest reasons it's the best show i've seen yet (of 3).

also, i think that the sound quality just varies for every person there because of where they're positioned. so i was on the rail, justin's side, and i could hear it all clear as a bell. wasn't even as loud as i was expecting (but also couldn't hear a damn thing once i was out)! of course maynard wasn't loud enough, but then again he never is.

so yeah, thanks to all you considerate non-idiot tool fans for making me proud to be one of you!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

sorry for everyone that got surrounded by dumbasses. there's always going to be a good percentage of idiots at a tool show, but i really lucked up. thanks to angela for helping me secure a rail spot and to kat and her boyfriend for saving my space when i had to pee or re-beer. seriously the nicest people i've ever met at a tool show, one of the biggest reasons it's the best show i've seen yet (of 3).

also, i think that the sound quality just varies for every person there because of where they're positioned. so i was on the rail, justin's side, and i could hear it all clear as a bell. wasn't even as loud as i was expecting (but also couldn't hear a damn thing once i was out)! of course maynard wasn't loud enough, but then again he never is.

so yeah, thanks to all you considerate non-idiot tool fans for making me proud to be one of you!
OFFLINE |  
jbwiv
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM

This was my first show, and I have to admit I came away a little disappointed. The visual experience was pretty good, and the guitars, bass and drums sounded great. However, you could barely make out Maynard's vocals at all. Much of the time, I couldn't tell if he was singing or not. I'm sure part of this was the acoustics at the arena, but surely the soundboard guys could've done a better job in trying to fix it.

Consequently, most of the show was instrumental. Oh well. Still fun.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first show, and I have to admit I came away a little disappointed. The visual experience was pretty good, and the guitars, bass and drums sounded great. However, you could barely make out Maynard's vocals at all. Much of the time, I couldn't tell if he was singing or not. I'm sure part of this was the acoustics at the arena, but surely the soundboard guys could've done a better job in trying to fix it.

Consequently, most of the show was instrumental. Oh well. Still fun.
OFFLINE |  
kobe24bryant
07-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Tool is amazing. For all of the people whining about how the show sucked and it was too short and that Maynard never looked at the crowd. Why do you care if he lookes at anything, there style and perfection is what makes Tool who they are. With every album and every concert they have evolved. And not just into what some people think they should be or do. I have only seen them 4 times and yes there was a lot less of the typical Gray artwork as backdrops like when they were on the Lateralus tour, but Tool can play for 7 minutes and still have a better fucking show than anyonelse, excluding (Rage, Alice in Chains, Pre black album Metallica, Pantera). Stop fucking whining of course I want them to play for 3 hours, but if you have ever seen them before then you've probably seen them play Sober. Tool is who they are because they are not here to fucking be what you want them to be, they are there motherfuckinselves. I'm from California and live in South Carolina, so to all of the people who came from the show besides from the Carolinas then I apologize to you for the way these dumb fucking rednecks act. Not everyone who lives around here is like that.

Without a doubt I will see TOOL anychance I get, there the last of a dying breed of good musicians.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool is amazing. For all of the people whining about how the show sucked and it was too short and that Maynard never looked at the crowd. Why do you care if he lookes at anything, there style and perfection is what makes Tool who they are. With every album and every concert they have evolved. And not just into what some people think they should be or do. I have only seen them 4 times and yes there was a lot less of the typical Gray artwork as backdrops like when they were on the Lateralus tour, but Tool can play for 7 minutes and still have a better fucking show than anyonelse, excluding (Rage, Alice in Chains, Pre black album Metallica, Pantera). Stop fucking whining of course I want them to play for 3 hours, but if you have ever seen them before then you've probably seen them play Sober. Tool is who they are because they are not here to fucking be what you want them to be, they are there motherfuckinselves. I'm from California and live in South Carolina, so to all of the people who came from the show besides from the Carolinas then I apologize to you for the way these dumb fucking rednecks act. Not everyone who lives around here is like that.

Without a doubt I will see TOOL anychance I get, there the last of a dying breed of good musicians.
OFFLINE |  
Lotus2thrdeye
07-30-2009, 02:06 PM

I finally get to post my follow up on this show.
This was my second time seeing Tool and i must say...i was not disappointed.
They have lost the mystery and darkness since the old days, but i felt really at home with the band last night. For the first time everyone on stage seemed to be having fun.

Maynard...what ever ppl keep bitching about I'm not sure. I feel like Maynard is finally done trying to be dark and trying to be a frontman. After a while you want to show the crowd who you really are. He is just chill. He's not there to impress anyone. So please everyone quit dictating how the show went down based on maynards level of activity on stage. I mean the guy is in his mid to late 40's. He cantt sing like he used to. And all you dumbasses complaining that he is singing like he used to....I dont see anyone else trying. His vocals and singign style is very unique and probably very hard for someone his age to do. So stop comparing him to other musicians his age.

Adam...this guy has really been surprising me lately. I have never heard him be so free with his sound. He seems to be really expanding and at a very fast rate. Its quite lovely actually. Adam was rather.....animated. He seemed like he was having a great time. I cant wait to hear what he has for the next album. Im also looking forward to more of his artwork.

Justin...Always animated. Played so well. I was in an area in the pit that the bass was heavy. One of my friends (who is a wonderful bass player) was with me and enjoyed that feeling everytime Justin pulled a string.

Danny...of all the members of the band I would love to actually sit down and talk to it would be Danny. He is Danny and thats all there is to it. Fucking inincredible drummer and artist. How much he has contributed to the band.

Audience...Most of you belong in A.A. I can understand getting smashed at a show. Espessially a Tool show. WTF is wrong with you ppl. Please keep you shirts on. Quit having sex in public. I will most likely never see another Tool show in NC. I was very Let down by my home state.

Venue...I loved how small the venue was. There wasnt a bad seat in the House. Sold out. Security was none-existent. The sound was a bit distorted though.

Lights...HOLY FUCKING SHIT

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to see these guys please do so. It definately an experience.
Peace out.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

I finally get to post my follow up on this show.
This was my second time seeing Tool and i must say...i was not disappointed.
They have lost the mystery and darkness since the old days, but i felt really at home with the band last night. For the first time everyone on stage seemed to be having fun.

Maynard...what ever ppl keep bitching about I'm not sure. I feel like Maynard is finally done trying to be dark and trying to be a frontman. After a while you want to show the crowd who you really are. He is just chill. He's not there to impress anyone. So please everyone quit dictating how the show went down based on maynards level of activity on stage. I mean the guy is in his mid to late 40's. He cantt sing like he used to. And all you dumbasses complaining that he is singing like he used to....I dont see anyone else trying. His vocals and singign style is very unique and probably very hard for someone his age to do. So stop comparing him to other musicians his age.

Adam...this guy has really been surprising me lately. I have never heard him be so free with his sound. He seems to be really expanding and at a very fast rate. Its quite lovely actually. Adam was rather.....animated. He seemed like he was having a great time. I cant wait to hear what he has for the next album. Im also looking forward to more of his artwork.

Justin...Always animated. Played so well. I was in an area in the pit that the bass was heavy. One of my friends (who is a wonderful bass player) was with me and enjoyed that feeling everytime Justin pulled a string.

Danny...of all the members of the band I would love to actually sit down and talk to it would be Danny. He is Danny and thats all there is to it. Fucking inincredible drummer and artist. How much he has contributed to the band.

Audience...Most of you belong in A.A. I can understand getting smashed at a show. Espessially a Tool show. WTF is wrong with you ppl. Please keep you shirts on. Quit having sex in public. I will most likely never see another Tool show in NC. I was very Let down by my home state.

Venue...I loved how small the venue was. There wasnt a bad seat in the House. Sold out. Security was none-existent. The sound was a bit distorted though.

Lights...HOLY FUCKING SHIT

If anyone ever gets the opportunity to see these guys please do so. It definately an experience.
Peace out.
OFFLINE |  
NCToolfan's Avatar NCToolfan
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Did anybody get an Event Poster? I waited in line after the show for a good 20 minutes and it sold out 3 people infront of me. I was pissed. The only ones left were the signed ones for $100.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

Did anybody get an Event Poster? I waited in line after the show for a good 20 minutes and it sold out 3 people infront of me. I was pissed. The only ones left were the signed ones for $100.
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by third.beyond View Post

I heard the eulogy tease (and about punched my friend in the face with glee). I also was almost positive wings/10k was coming after they started playing the thunder.

Second Tool show, saw them in Winston-Salem in 2007 and this show was a little better IMO. I dug the fuck out of Aenema which I've wanted to see live since I started listening to Tool in 2002 or so, and everything else was great. That venue was just as bad as Joel Coliseum though, total clusterfuck bodypress everywhere and tons of drunken meathead douches that should think about learning to swim. That having been said the people around me were pretty cool (Section 113).

I think it was during the soundscape prelude to either Aenema or Vicarious that some dude in a section pretty close by was literally shrieking "PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE" over and over again, if I had been close to him I'd have high-fived for sure. He was literally yelling himself hoarse repeating it for like 3 or 4 minutes. I still hope someday I'll see that song live.

Oh, and I dunno if it was the mix or the place, but most of the time it was real hard to hear Maynard.

Last edited by Hands; 07-30-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by third.beyond View Post

I heard the eulogy tease (and about punched my friend in the face with glee). I also was almost positive wings/10k was coming after they started playing the thunder.

Second Tool show, saw them in Winston-Salem in 2007 and this show was a little better IMO. I dug the fuck out of Aenema which I've wanted to see live since I started listening to Tool in 2002 or so, and everything else was great. That venue was just as bad as Joel Coliseum though, total clusterfuck bodypress everywhere and tons of drunken meathead douches that should think about learning to swim. That having been said the people around me were pretty cool (Section 113).

I think it was during the soundscape prelude to either Aenema or Vicarious that some dude in a section pretty close by was literally shrieking "PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE" over and over again, if I had been close to him I'd have high-fived for sure. He was literally yelling himself hoarse repeating it for like 3 or 4 minutes. I still hope someday I'll see that song live.

Oh, and I dunno if it was the mix or the place, but most of the time it was real hard to hear Maynard.

Last edited by Hands; 07-30-2009 at 09:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
junior
07-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMAN71 View Post
Maybe Junior is the frontman now!
I hope not. God help us all.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMAN71 View Post
Maybe Junior is the frontman now!
I hope not. God help us all.
OFFLINE |  
andro
07-30-2009, 02:54 PM

7th show since '97.

I didn't have any problems with traffic, but I got to the venue early for just that reason. Traffic on the way out was non-existent, but that's because I pulled a Maynard and left at the very last note of Vicarious.

I was in section 117 on the last row, crowd around me was fine. No beer spilled on us, no puke, no particularly annoying people around.

Is Maynard ok physically? I've never heard his voice sound as frail and weak as it sounded last night. I assume he is sick, it's something that seems to happen on every tour. That said, it's always interesting to hear how he has toned back his vocal intensity. I actually like hearing songs sung in a different key, it's refreshing in a way.

The rest of the band was spot-on, as always. There were a few moments where I thought they might have screwed up, but I'll blame it on the venue's acoustics.

Maybe I don't remember the 10k Days screens very well, but the videos last night seemed to have a lot of new content. There was a lot of video that was removed completely, and almost everything that stayed was changed around from the way I remember. Even the Stinkfist video had some sections that I hadn't noticed before.

I don't understand the Tool elitists' constant need to bash the band. I think I like the rednecks more than I like the OGT asshats. At least the rednecks enjoy themselves.

Speaking of the venue, there were NO HANDRAILS in the aisles toward the upper portion of the building. This is really unacceptable and I'll think twice before giving ticketbastard my cc#.

I still can't shake the feeling that this is a farewell tour. I really hope that's not the case.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #40
Level 2 - Poster

7th show since '97.

I didn't have any problems with traffic, but I got to the venue early for just that reason. Traffic on the way out was non-existent, but that's because I pulled a Maynard and left at the very last note of Vicarious.

I was in section 117 on the last row, crowd around me was fine. No beer spilled on us, no puke, no particularly annoying people around.

Is Maynard ok physically? I've never heard his voice sound as frail and weak as it sounded last night. I assume he is sick, it's something that seems to happen on every tour. That said, it's always interesting to hear how he has toned back his vocal intensity. I actually like hearing songs sung in a different key, it's refreshing in a way.

The rest of the band was spot-on, as always. There were a few moments where I thought they might have screwed up, but I'll blame it on the venue's acoustics.

Maybe I don't remember the 10k Days screens very well, but the videos last night seemed to have a lot of new content. There was a lot of video that was removed completely, and almost everything that stayed was changed around from the way I remember. Even the Stinkfist video had some sections that I hadn't noticed before.

I don't understand the Tool elitists' constant need to bash the band. I think I like the rednecks more than I like the OGT asshats. At least the rednecks enjoy themselves.

Speaking of the venue, there were NO HANDRAILS in the aisles toward the upper portion of the building. This is really unacceptable and I'll think twice before giving ticketbastard my cc#.

I still can't shake the feeling that this is a farewell tour. I really hope that's not the case.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply