opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #6201
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

I've been trying to figure out if I can go to the NM show or not. It's fairly far from Oklahoma, about a 10 or 11 hour drive. Not to mention that San Antonio is just a couple of days afterwards. I'd hate to fly there too and have to worry about how to get to the venue and having a place to crash. I'd rather just drive back all night to make sure I can make it to San Antonio with lots of time to spare. I need to find out if any fellow fans are traveling from Oklahoma or Texas go to go to it. Anyone want to put something together? Haha.
10/23/01 Oklahoma City, OK - 7/25/02 Tulsa, OK - 11/16/02 Oklahoma City, OK - 9/14/06 Dallas, TX - 5/11/07 Wichita, KS - 5/19/07 Oklahoma City, OK - 11/19/07 Tulsa, OK - 7/24/09 San Antonio, TX - 7/25/09 Dallas, TX - 6/23/10 Oklahoma City, OK
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #6202
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. I think I can also swing a discount rate at the Marriot, but even without it, the rates there are great too. $99 for the night. And this one is walking distance to the arena

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...tempe-airport/
Nice! I wish I still had enough Marriott reward points for a free stay, but I exhausted all of those on the 10K Days tour.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #6203
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphorescent Button View Post
Good point. After looking at the cost of flights and all of the associated fees, me thinks driving is the way to go. If anyone is looking for great deals on rooms and is a CitiBank card holder, Citi Extra Cash rewards has some nice rates. Got a room at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Phoenix, the closest (0.2 miles) hotel to the venue for $95. Gonna be nice not having to pay for venue parking and just walk to the show!
Keep in mind parking at most of the downtown hotels is about $15.

Those hotels are only about 5 miles from the airport so a cab from the airport would be pretty cheap.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #6204
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winste View Post
Keep in mind parking at most of the downtown hotels is about $15.

Those hotels are only about 5 miles from the airport so a cab from the airport would be pretty cheap.
Actually, the Marriot and Hyatt have free shuttle service from the airport if you stay at one of those hotels.

Let's do some quickie math

A car that gets 30 miles to gallon/650 miles roundtrip (from LA)xgas $2.99 a gallon = $65, and about 10 hours in a car.

Flying is $120 w/ all fees included on either Southwest or US Air. Total time to get to airport (30 minutesx2), board plane (45 minutesx2), fly route (1.5 hoursx2) land and get to hotel (45 minutesx2), then reverse process = 7 hours

Hmm
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #6205
Level 7 - Loquacious

i cant see them not playin at least cali somewhere or even seattle, i think its gonna happen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #6206

Bincount™: 6

I have two tickets for GA (floor) at Charlotte. Just wondering what the crowd is gonna be like at that section... two concerts I went to last tour they had seated floor, and it was calm. I'll probably have my girlfriend with me, but shes tough so Im not too worried about that just want to know what I can expect.

Also, I am getting tickets for Atlanta (idk its Atlanta, but whatever) too... are the GA tickets the more sought after tickets? When I searched for Charlotte tickets at 10am, thats what showed up. Should I search for the higher ticket price and a certain section (like close to the stage but seated) for Atlanta?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #6207

Quote:
Originally Posted by l David l View Post
I have two tickets for GA (floor) at Charlotte. Just wondering what the crowd is gonna be like at that section... two concerts I went to last tour they had seated floor, and it was calm. I'll probably have my girlfriend with me, but shes tough so Im not too worried about that just want to know what I can expect.

Also, I am getting tickets for Atlanta (idk its Atlanta, but whatever) too... are the GA tickets the more sought after tickets? When I searched for Charlotte tickets at 10am, thats what showed up. Should I search for the higher ticket price and a certain section (like close to the stage but seated) for Atlanta?
There's guaranteed to be a pit form at least once during the show, but the majority of the floor audience will be there to experience the music on a higher level and really take it in. You're bound to get bumped into some either way, but as for the pit it's really luck of the draw whether you end up around the knuckleheads or not. If you're in the first few rows of people expect to get crammed in even closer once the guys start, but you'll probably be safe from moshing. You'll have a decent idea what you're in for when you claim your spot and notice how loud and hammered people are around you.

Floor tix and the close reserved seating are equally sought after really. Ticketmaster defaults to floor tix as the 'best available' I believe, but the close reserved seats will sell out immediately since the supply is so much smaller. It's up to you whether you'd prefer seats or not.

I'm in the same situation. I have floor tix for Charlotte and haven't decided what I'm going to do for Atlanta. I like to be as close as possible, but moshers really piss me off most of the time and ruin the song during which they start the pit. I saw ISIS in Chapel Hill on Friday (fantastic show) and moshers ruined 'Threshold of Transformation' for me. They died down quickly though so it didn't ruin the whole show, and closing w/ Celestial (the tower) was epic.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #6208
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l David l View Post
Not sure if there's going to be the "Push" this time around. Last time I got caught up in it was at Coachella in 2006, the rest of the 10,000 Days tour was pretty tame (of course, there were no large GA sections on that tour - and, no, the Pearl doesn't count, that GA section was tiny).
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #6209
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus_ View Post
Bought 4 GA floor seats to the Fairfax show this morning. See everyone there (well, probably not... but, ya know)!

see ya there brotha!!
Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #6210
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selassie View Post
Scored 2 for Fairfax - Section 117 Row E - Efing stoked. Cant beleive I got such good seats!

Right next to adam with an elevated view woot!

Anyone that has been to this venue - are these as good as i think they are? lol
haha im in the same section, same row dude
Old 05-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #6211
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Blair's latest is up. Might be a hint about an upstate New York show (Syracuse?, Albany?). and a "beach" location (Jones Beach Amp.?). Who knows?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #6212
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
So, now that I have Phx tickets, I am starting to think I can make that NM date too. I ride a big, fatass cruiser (the same one that took me to Coachella all 3 days) and I am thinking I can make the trip into two legs.

First leg- LA to Phx is 500 miles. Leave LA around 8am, arrive Phx around 3pm. See Tool.

Second leg- Phx to Rio Rancho is 430 miles . Leave Phx around 9am, arrive NM around 4pm. See Tool.

Think I can pull it off?
Bear in mind this one fact: PHX + July = Triple digit insane heat.
I rode daily one summer living in Vegas, but that was just quick trips around town.
That's a sweet ride in the October or March, but July...no thanks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #6213
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Blair's latest is up. Might be a hint about an upstate New York show (Syracuse?, Albany?). and a "beach" location (Jones Beach Amp.?). Who knows?
Doesn't read like Blair wrote it...unless he was drunk of course. No signature either.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #6214
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicabgod View Post
Bear in mind this one fact: PHX + July = Triple digit insane heat.
I rode daily one summer living in Vegas, but that was just quick trips around town.
That's a sweet ride in the October or March, but July...no thanks.
Yea I am thinking that over. It's definitely the wrong time of year to try and pull this off on a bike... but that won't stop me! :)

Now work, that might stop me. :(
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #6215
Level 4 - Thinker

Living in Louisiana, I'm no expert on the roads and terrain in the north east, but I think I deciphered part of Blair's Toolband post.

"ad a storm come in today from over the tops of the Adirondack mountains that drove a pine tree into my driveway. That should take one day to deal with. My uncles boat got blown off its mooring and ended up near the beach.That should take another day to deal with. My dad is 78 years old and blind in one eye and has to go in for his drivers exam-road test! "

I may be WAY off on this one, but I78 leads from Jersey City, NJ towards Harrisburg, PA. If you cross the mountains due-West you hit Pittsburgh.

Who knows, it seems possible.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #6216

Bincount™: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphorescent Button View Post
Now the only debate is...drive to Phoenix from l.A. or take a cheap Southwest flight... Are there any opinions out there on the ratio of assholes to nice patrons in a typical Phoenix show? Certainly it can't be any worse than L.A. Section 102, here we come.
Man that sucks, you guys are already giving up on a socal date? I'm still holding out for one but if their isn't one then fuck that's going to suck.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #6217
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

in blairs new stupid post....he makes reference to "duck" which is the mascot for the Anaheim hockey team, the Anaheim Ducks...of which they call the Honda Center, formerly known as the Pond, home. So connect the dots ppl!!! I called it, Anaheim show this summer!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #6218
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevasquez View Post
in blairs new stupid post....he makes reference to "duck" which is the mascot for the Anaheim hockey team, the Anaheim Ducks...of which they call the Honda Center, formerly known as the Pond, home. So connect the dots ppl!!! I called it, Anaheim show this summer!!!
Man, I so hope you are right brutha.

I am also thinking that with the annoucement today of the San Diego Street Scene line up that Tool might consider doing that one again. I mean MIA? Black Eyed Peas? Gimme a break! Put Tool on that bill and things change quite a bit, especially since the undercard for that festival looks good. It's at the end of August so it's enough removed from their last date in Jersey City to at least be a possibility.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #6219

Bincount™: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aevasquez View Post
I'd like to think so but I dunno, I wouldn't read too much into it, it doesn't even sound like a Blair post.

I think that at this point they wouldn't put hidden messages about tour dates. It's far enough along that I think they'd post confirmed dates as soon as they get the go ahead from their management instead of obscure references.

But damn I really do hope you're right and he is alluding to a California date.

Last edited by pris0n; 05-31-2009 at 10:59 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #6220
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

That weird post now has a line underneath saying it was written by Eric and was meant for the notes from the crew section.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #6221
Level 4 - Thinker

anyone seen anything official on the Atlanta show? i didnt see it listed on the Gwinnett Arena website, and nothing on TM or LN either. i suppose its only monday but onsale set for saturday, so hope this hasnt fallen through.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #6222
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

dont worry... itll probably be listed on wed or thu
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #6223
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude View Post
dont worry... itll probably be listed on wed or thu
"What, me worry?"
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #6224
Level 2 - Poster

This may have already been discussed, and if so, I apologize for shitty searching on my part, but are there any rumors about openers or if thre will even be any?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #6225
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccuiston View Post
This may have already been discussed, and if so, I apologize for shitty searching on my part, but are there any rumors about openers or if thre will even be any?
I'll start an opening band rumor: Black Math Horseman.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #6226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshspence View Post
anyone seen anything official on the Atlanta show? i didnt see it listed on the Gwinnett Arena website, and nothing on TM or LN either. i suppose its only monday but onsale set for saturday, so hope this hasnt fallen through.
Blair just posted that the onsale date has been changed to June 13th. We probably won't see the ticketmaster page loaded til next week at this point.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #6227
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 9

my opening band rumor is : lights out and then tool.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #6228
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
So, now that I have Phx tickets, I am starting to think I can make that NM date too. I ride a big, fatass cruiser (the same one that took me to Coachella all 3 days) and I am thinking I can make the trip into two legs.

First leg- LA to Phx is 500 miles. Leave LA around 8am, arrive Phx around 3pm. See Tool.

Second leg- Phx to Rio Rancho is 430 miles . Leave Phx around 9am, arrive NM around 4pm. See Tool.

Think I can pull it off?
Yes! and when you do, the first beer is on me, I'm making the ABQ show as well.
08/07/93 - 11/20/94 - 11/09/96 - 06/25/97 - 03/29/98 - 08/03/01 -10/9/01 - 10/10/01 - 11/09/02 - 05/08/06 - 11/09/06 - 06/25/07 - 05/29/07 - 6/01/07 - 06/02/07 - 07/22/09 - 08/08/09 - 06/29/10 - 07/12/10 - 07/15/10- 01/14/2012 - 03/12/2014 - 03/13/2014 - 03/16/2014 - 10/22/2015 - 06/21/2017- 10/13/19 - 10/21/19 - 11/24/19 - 01/15/20 - 02/05/22 - 03/03/22

Corex says:
June 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

"Yeah Tool is fucking amazing. But there’s a big chunk of their fan base that think they’ve become thought provoking geniuses just from listening to them."
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #6229
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

"...we did discus a possible new Tool summer tour show, although I promise its not to be found as an anagram in the ingredient above."

Now, when Blair says it isn't found as an anagram in the ingredient, what is he -really- saying? haha...

Unfortunately it would be against my nature not to give it a try..

-sigh-
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #6230
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

also, question. how long is a typical tool setlist (non-festival)? I guess in terms of time (hours) as well as # of songs, although I'm sure that is much harder to gauge due to the various lengths of whatever songs they choose to play, how much they jam/alter their songs, and just whether D/R/T shows up in general or not haha. Just wondering...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #6231
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHarv35 View Post
also, question. how long is a typical tool setlist (non-festival)? I guess in terms of time (hours) as well as # of songs, although I'm sure that is much harder to gauge due to the various lengths of whatever songs they choose to play, how much they jam/alter their songs, and just whether D/R/T shows up in general or not haha. Just wondering...
The best answer: it really depends.

The average would be somewhere between 1 hour 50 mins - 2 hours 10 mins.

It also depends on the venue. A lot of outdoor venues have noise restrictions or city bylaws that restrict the event going past 11PM. Whereas an arena can continue until they are finished.

As for songs... anywhere from 9-12 depending on the venue, which songs they play and if you count intros/segues.

However, Junior would be the one to clarify this.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #6232
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It's a little odd to me that there are shows 7/25, 7/29, and 7/29...it's rare to take breaks back-to-back. I have a feeling there will be something on 7/28 (PLEASE SOUTH FLORIDA!)...
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #6233
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcaloverbri9 View Post
It's a little odd to me that there are shows 7/25, 7/29, and 7/29...it's rare to take breaks back-to-back. I have a feeling there will be something on 7/28 (PLEASE SOUTH FLORIDA!)...
unless i'm missing something, this makes no sense.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #6234
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Embryo 2 View Post
Yes! and when you do, the first beer is on me, I'm making the ABQ show as well.
Thanks friend! If I can make it happen I'll definitely be taking you up on that. It's a long shot right now but I'll see what I can work out as we get closer to this weekend's on sale date for NM. I grew up in ABQ actually. I haven't been back in 20 years.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #6235
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanaduh View Post
unless i'm missing something, this makes no sense.
hahaha. I think he meant 7/25, 7/27, 7/29, and in his opinion they wouldn't take a day off in-between two shows twice in a row. So he's hoping they'll fill in 7/28 with south florida. i guess its possible, just seems out of the way and from what junior has said in the past about the logistics of going from city to city on the road, it seems as though these trips would be too far for them to make on three consecutive days. anythings possible, but if youre asking our opinion, i'd personally say that its not gonna happen, unfortunately.

Now kanaduh, when you say 9-12, depending upon what I consider songs, are you saying 9-12 solid songs typically (sober, jambi, the grudge, you can get what im saying) or would it be 9-12 total, meaning some of which would be....eon blue apocalypse and other intro-esque songs (maybe with an added jam portion to them) as well? Junior, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as well, but really anyone whos been to a fair amount of tool concerts can I'm sure help me out. thanks, by the way.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #6236
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Now kanaduh, when you say 9-12, depending upon what I consider songs, are you saying 9-12 solid songs typically (sober, jambi, the grudge, you can get what im saying) or would it be 9-12 total, meaning some of which would be....eon blue apocalypse and other intro-esque songs (maybe with an added jam portion to them) as well? Junior, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as well, but really anyone whos been to a fair amount of tool concerts can I'm sure help me out. thanks, by the way.
Dude, every set list from the last couple years is ON THIS VERY SUB-FORUM! Check em out, may even lead you in the right direction.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #6237
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDubbs View Post
Dude, every set list from the last couple years is ON THIS VERY SUB-FORUM! Check em out, may even lead you in the right direction.
That would be my recommendation.
As many Tool shows as I've been at, I never actually time them or count the songs. Whatever happens, happens.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #6238
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
hahaha. I think he meant 7/25, 7/27, 7/29, and in his opinion they wouldn't take a day off in-between two shows twice in a row. So he's hoping they'll fill in 7/28 with south florida. i guess its possible, just seems out of the way and from what junior has said in the past about the logistics of going from city to city on the road, it seems as though these trips would be too far for them to make on three consecutive days. anythings possible, but if youre asking our opinion, i'd personally say that its not gonna happen, unfortunately.
I'd also be surprised to see a show on the 28th mostly because that would make 4 shows in a row, which they tend not to do.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #6239
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreal View Post
im jealous for sure, im waitin on PNW and cali dates to see how many i can hit up.
I wouldn't recommend holding out for any PNW dates at this point.
There's still a very strong likelihood of that "LA Area" show that Blair mentioned some time ago, however.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #6240
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
That's definitely a mis-post by Eric that was meant for the "Notes from the Crew" (that I still don't have access to....) section. I wouldn't read anything into it. Eric lives in Vermont, hence all of the Northeastern references. He likes to write about his real-life off-the-road experiences.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: