Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 07. Lost Keys
User Name
Password
Huff's Avatar Huff
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM

I'm pretty sure Adam is using an E-bow here (almost certain)....but I had to say how wicked the part at 1:29 is!! Holy crap!!!! And I absolutely love how it flows lyrically and musically right into Rosetta...........wow.......

-David Cross
Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
E-bow on this track

I'm pretty sure Adam is using an E-bow here (almost certain)....but I had to say how wicked the part at 1:29 is!! Holy crap!!!! And I absolutely love how it flows lyrically and musically right into Rosetta...........wow.......

-David Cross
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff
I'm pretty sure Adam is using an E-bow here (almost certain).....

Sorry Huff, but Adam would be pissed if people thought he was using an E-bow. Make sure you read the 'Guitar World' interview in the 275th issue. With Adam on the cover.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: E-bow on this track

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Adam is using an E-bow here (almost certain).....

Sorry Huff, but Adam would be pissed if people thought he was using an E-bow. Make sure you read the 'Guitar World' interview in the 275th issue. With Adam on the cover.
05-05-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses

Really?? Is that seriously all manual feedback?? If it is it's some serious sustain....impressive

-David Cross
Old 05-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses

Really?? Is that seriously all manual feedback?? If it is it's some serious sustain....impressive

-David Cross
jsn's Avatar jsn
05-05-2006, 01:17 PM

yeah there's a thread around here somewhere that he says, "don't say i'm using an e-bow", or something like that.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
jsn
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

yeah there's a thread around here somewhere that he says, "don't say i'm using an e-bow", or something like that.
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM

I don't think its sustain that last that long. If you listen close you can here the range go up and down on the effect. Ever see one of those green delay foot pedals at guitar center that are like $230. That's it. Plus Adam knows how to work his guitar without being too technical.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #5

I don't think its sustain that last that long. If you listen close you can here the range go up and down on the effect. Ever see one of those green delay foot pedals at guitar center that are like $230. That's it. Plus Adam knows how to work his guitar without being too technical.
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM

adam uses epilady
Old 05-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

adam uses epilady
epinephrine_redux's Avatar epinephrine_redux
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM

It's a bass. It's Justin.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 706

05-06-2006, 02:07 PM

A good amp (Like his Deizel) and a decent guitar and a player who knows how to use his equipment can easily control the feedback this way. At first I thought it was an ebow and him using a tremolo pedal for that wavy effect. That's what I'd do to reproduce this because at the volume needed to generate feedback like that, the cops would be beating down my door.

Also, isn't an Epilady something chicks use on their leg hair and pubes?
Old 05-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

A good amp (Like his Deizel) and a decent guitar and a player who knows how to use his equipment can easily control the feedback this way. At first I thought it was an ebow and him using a tremolo pedal for that wavy effect. That's what I'd do to reproduce this because at the volume needed to generate feedback like that, the cops would be beating down my door.

dice5199
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM

The opening sound to this song sounds similar to the opening sound to "Synchronicity 2" by The Police.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #9

Bincount™: 13

The opening sound to this song sounds similar to the opening sound to "Synchronicity 2" by The Police.
05-06-2006, 10:28 PM

It's a mini moog. His wife got it for him for christmas.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

It's a mini moog. His wife got it for him for christmas.
05-07-2006, 11:05 AM

It's just Guitar, Wah, and Volume!!! that simple
Women have this wierd myth that you can tell how good a guy is in bed by how he is on the dance floor. I think that's ludicrus. What does it matter anyway? If a guy's on a dancefloor really gettin' into it and enjoying himself and expressing himself, what does it matter how he is in bed.......... he's gay!! - Bill Hicks
Old 05-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

It's just Guitar, Wah, and Volume!!! that simple
Women have this wierd myth that you can tell how good a guy is in bed by how he is on the dance floor. I think that's ludicrus. What does it matter anyway? If a guy's on a dancefloor really gettin' into it and enjoying himself and expressing himself, what does it matter how he is in bed.......... he's gay!! - Bill Hicks
Amethyst Believer's Avatar Amethyst Believer
05-07-2006, 11:08 AM

That's weird. My CD player is set to display time remaining on the track. Just as I read the first post I looked round and there was exactly 1.29 left to go.

I just looked again after typing that and it was 0.29.

I'll shut up now.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 118

That's weird. My CD player is set to display time remaining on the track. Just as I read the first post I looked round and there was exactly 1.29 left to go.

I just looked again after typing that and it was 0.29.

I'll shut up now.
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice5199
Great call.........but I still think there's something going one more than sustain.....however someone mentioned the "green expensive pedals". That's called a Line 6....and they're really awesome...but as far as I know they're just a sampler. They have 4 or 5 sample chambers but I don't think they would change your sustain. Maybe just a sustain pedal or like someone said a synth....

-David Cross
Old 05-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice5199
Great call.........but I still think there's something going one more than sustain.....however someone mentioned the "green expensive pedals". That's called a Line 6....and they're really awesome...but as far as I know they're just a sampler. They have 4 or 5 sample chambers but I don't think they would change your sustain. Maybe just a sustain pedal or like someone said a synth....

-David Cross
tyroneslothrop's Avatar tyroneslothrop
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM

It sounds like there is an effect on it but it is definitely Justin on bass... I saw him doing it last week at the Berkeley show. As fastponyredcar said above, if you've got a good enough rig that kind of feedback is not that hard to get.
"The greatest hazard of all, losing the self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss- an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc.- is sure to be noticed"-Kierkegaard
Old 05-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #14

Bincount™: 10

It sounds like there is an effect on it but it is definitely Justin on bass... I saw him doing it last week at the Berkeley show. As fastponyredcar said above, if you've got a good enough rig that kind of feedback is not that hard to get.
"The greatest hazard of all, losing the self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss- an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc.- is sure to be noticed"-Kierkegaard
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Great call....however someone mentioned the "green expensive pedals". That's called a Line 6....and they're really awesome.....

THanks for comment. I couldn't remember the brand of pedal I was talking about. The Line 6 "green" Delay pedal. Too bad its not so dam expensive they are really cool. AND YES I think Adam does use a Moog pedal.. Also badass and expensive. WAIT. knowing Justin it probably is him doing that sound.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Great call....however someone mentioned the "green expensive pedals". That's called a Line 6....and they're really awesome.....

THanks for comment. I couldn't remember the brand of pedal I was talking about. The Line 6 "green" Delay pedal. Too bad its not so dam expensive they are really cool. AND YES I think Adam does use a Moog pedal.. Also badass and expensive. WAIT. knowing Justin it probably is him doing that sound.
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop

Really??!?! Wow that's interesting. (I feel bad for not believing whoever said it before:):):):)

-David Cross
Old 05-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop

Really??!?! Wow that's interesting. (I feel bad for not believing whoever said it before:):):):)

-David Cross
kevbo82
05-12-2006, 04:56 AM

you can get that much feedback easily. i dont really know if he's using something to manipulate the guitar, it's harder to change notes like he does later in the song. The start of it just sounds like he's bending the string. My mesa and SG at a small gig level in a studio, i sustained for close to two mins on a note. i was amazed by it, and it's mostly that guitar, but it's doable. Adam uses alot of flange and delay too, which delay will help that "sustain" and i use a japanese made boss BF-2 flanger, which for whatever reason seems to boost gain just a touch? my amp dirty, with that flanger and a delay, and sometimes just a bit in front of the amp thanks for a fulldrive2, it seems like the guitar will just hold a note forever. A bit of that swirl that some spoke of on the track, i think is some flanger. does sound like a trem/pan later in the song as well though. It's way too clean a sound for adams epilady trick though.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:56 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

you can get that much feedback easily. i dont really know if he's using something to manipulate the guitar, it's harder to change notes like he does later in the song. The start of it just sounds like he's bending the string. My mesa and SG at a small gig level in a studio, i sustained for close to two mins on a note. i was amazed by it, and it's mostly that guitar, but it's doable. Adam uses alot of flange and delay too, which delay will help that "sustain" and i use a japanese made boss BF-2 flanger, which for whatever reason seems to boost gain just a touch? my amp dirty, with that flanger and a delay, and sometimes just a bit in front of the amp thanks for a fulldrive2, it seems like the guitar will just hold a note forever. A bit of that swirl that some spoke of on the track, i think is some flanger. does sound like a trem/pan later in the song as well though. It's way too clean a sound for adams epilady trick though.
crack
05-12-2006, 12:00 PM

as far as the Guitar World article goes...he says he def doesnt use an e-bow and enver did, contrary to what the e-bow ads may say. He says everything pretty much comes from his hands....I got ther impression that he used nothing more than a guitar and amp for the sustain, owing the sound merely to his style of playing, and not any other kind of pedal
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #18

as far as the Guitar World article goes...he says he def doesnt use an e-bow and enver did, contrary to what the e-bow ads may say. He says everything pretty much comes from his hands....I got ther impression that he used nothing more than a guitar and amp for the sustain, owing the sound merely to his style of playing, and not any other kind of pedal
epidermalfuture
05-12-2006, 04:35 PM

it's all manual, performed with his own fingers, he blends in a bit of delay and tremolo with it...it's very easy to achieve this effect actually...depending on where you place your fingers will create a diferent harmonic...just vibrate your finger hard to mantain the sound...i vote for pure skill...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

it's all manual, performed with his own fingers, he blends in a bit of delay and tremolo with it...it's very easy to achieve this effect actually...depending on where you place your fingers will create a diferent harmonic...just vibrate your finger hard to mantain the sound...i vote for pure skill...
Bassmingo's Avatar Bassmingo
05-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinephrine_redux
just quoting this again....HELLO? ITS JUSTIN, NOT ADAM
Ben Affleck was really good in that movie.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #20

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by epinephrine_redux
Ben Affleck was really good in that movie.
ID-entity's Avatar ID-entity
05-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmingo
True. My best friend saw the show in Dallas and Lost Keys was the first song they played. He said the feedback is Justin playing fairly high on the neck of his bass and then Adam comes in with the slow guitar riff.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:40 AM   #21

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmingo
True. My best friend saw the show in Dallas and Lost Keys was the first song they played. He said the feedback is Justin playing fairly high on the neck of his bass and then Adam comes in with the slow guitar riff.
pdictter
05-13-2006, 11:12 AM

damn justin and his silly feedback

but as for adam... maybe he is using a fernandes sustainer? kinda like the one fripp has, but if he is using none of these stuff, then its madness how he gets the sustain. :-)
Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

damn justin and his silly feedback

but as for adam... maybe he is using a fernandes sustainer? kinda like the one fripp has, but if he is using none of these stuff, then its madness how he gets the sustain. :-)
#Notion's Avatar #Notion
05-13-2006, 04:47 PM

Seeing them in dallas made me realize just how much more than 1/4th justin contributes to tool
Old 05-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Seeing them in dallas made me realize just how much more than 1/4th justin contributes to tool
epinephrine_redux's Avatar epinephrine_redux
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM

at certain volume levels and amp proximities, feedback can be sustained for an infinate time (or as long as you can hold your finger on the fret). I've gone 10 minutes on bass before. All it is is a little distortion and delay.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 706

at certain volume levels and amp proximities, feedback can be sustained for an infinate time (or as long as you can hold your finger on the fret). I've gone 10 minutes on bass before. All it is is a little distortion and delay.
05-14-2006, 06:50 PM

That tone is so totally lacking bass, but if you guys have seen it, then I'll believe it. Amazing feedback control nonetheless.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:50 PM   #25

Bincount™: 4

That tone is so totally lacking bass, but if you guys have seen it, then I'll believe it. Amazing feedback control nonetheless.
ID-entity's Avatar ID-entity
05-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
Yeah. My friend said Justin really stands out live. Doesnt suprise me since Tool is a very rhythmicly based band and that Justin is one of the best out there. Im pretty bummed I couldnt get tickets...well I guess I could, I just cant swing 500 bucks for one on ebay. Oh well, theyll be back this fall for a proper arena tour.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
Yeah. My friend said Justin really stands out live. Doesnt suprise me since Tool is a very rhythmicly based band and that Justin is one of the best out there. Im pretty bummed I couldnt get tickets...well I guess I could, I just cant swing 500 bucks for one on ebay. Oh well, theyll be back this fall for a proper arena tour.
jrizzle
05-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Saw it live, it is Justin with an A note (his rack tuner says so)
Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
05-17-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack
he says in the guitar world interview, that sustain is obtained thru "attitude". he got this advice from robert fripp, i think.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #28
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack
he says in the guitar world interview, that sustain is obtained thru "attitude". he got this advice from robert fripp, i think.
will see you auntie's Avatar will see you auntie
05-17-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

yeah, he uses the epilady electric shaver. he said in an interview a while back that he got the idea from watching dave navarro in concert using a dildo-vibrator. he said he thought it was a great idea, and since he doesnt have any vibrators lying around, he used his wifes epilady.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

yeah, he uses the epilady electric shaver. he said in an interview a while back that he got the idea from watching dave navarro in concert using a dildo-vibrator. he said he thought it was a great idea, and since he doesnt have any vibrators lying around, he used his wifes epilady.
DeadheadChemistry's Avatar DeadheadChemistry
05-17-2006, 02:09 PM

It's definently Justin, I was as surprised as everyone else when I saw him play it live. He starts off by just walking over to his mesa boogie and moves his bass around for the feedback, and then he plays a couple octaves up for the part you guys were talking about. I read somewhere about how he does that for a lot of songs, playing an octave or two up and people confusing his part with adam's. I was front frow, right in front of Justin for the KC show so it's him, no joke... could see his whole board and watched him as he hit the octave pedal.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

It's definently Justin, I was as surprised as everyone else when I saw him play it live. He starts off by just walking over to his mesa boogie and moves his bass around for the feedback, and then he plays a couple octaves up for the part you guys were talking about. I read somewhere about how he does that for a lot of songs, playing an octave or two up and people confusing his part with adam's. I was front frow, right in front of Justin for the KC show so it's him, no joke... could see his whole board and watched him as he hit the octave pedal.
philipg's Avatar philipg
09-01-2006, 07:05 PM

the high feedback ish part is a bass, i believe it has an octave effect on it
adam has also stated in interviews that he doesnt use an ebow at all
he usually gets his feedback from his wah pedal and things like that.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #31

the high feedback ish part is a bass, i believe it has an octave effect on it
adam has also stated in interviews that he doesnt use an ebow at all
he usually gets his feedback from his wah pedal and things like that.
plexus's Avatar plexus
09-06-2006, 01:29 AM

yeah, its justin, i was at that dallas show too, and he definatly opened the show up with that feedback. i thought it was going to go on forever. literally!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 AM   #32
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

yeah, its justin, i was at that dallas show too, and he definatly opened the show up with that feedback. i thought it was going to go on forever. literally!
EulogyCallinMe's Avatar EulogyCallinMe
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Destructo View Post
thats exactly why i didnt think it was adam but ill see for myself on thursday...and friday weeeee!!!
if it is justin then wtf? stupid bastard and his octave thingy making it hard to discern guitar from bass. but how does he do it then if its him? if it was adam i was goig to suggest perhaps a condenser pedal and delay... but if its not then i have no clue.
"Am I a pretty girl?"
Old 09-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #33
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Destructo View Post
thats exactly why i didnt think it was adam but ill see for myself on thursday...and friday weeeee!!!
if it is justin then wtf? stupid bastard and his octave thingy making it hard to discern guitar from bass. but how does he do it then if its him? if it was adam i was goig to suggest perhaps a condenser pedal and delay... but if its not then i have no clue.
"Am I a pretty girl?"
CaseLogic
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM

simple check for the future in case you're not sure if it's bass or guitar playing:

is the guitar ALREADY PLAYING? then its justin =P

I'd be surprised if Adam could pull off the feedback/siren effect along with the main melody at the same time ;)
Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

simple check for the future in case you're not sure if it's bass or guitar playing:

is the guitar ALREADY PLAYING? then its justin =P

I'd be surprised if Adam could pull off the feedback/siren effect along with the main melody at the same time ;)
mon-go-lloyd
09-13-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizzle View Post
No, it's F Sharp...then following the chord-changes C , C Flat then landing on A and repeats this. Later back to F Sharp.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #35
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrizzle View Post
No, it's F Sharp...then following the chord-changes C , C Flat then landing on A and repeats this. Later back to F Sharp.
CaseLogic
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
I assumed he was doing the sustained part with a harmonic and playing the rest very softly on the other strings. (Don't ask me how I thought he got the waver, I didn't know.)
It's okay, Justin has amazed many people this album...

1) Vicarious Solo
2) The Pot Solo
3) Lost Keys
4) Harmonics/Whammy effect in Right in Two

He's da man =)
Old 09-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefnaspleaf View Post
I assumed he was doing the sustained part with a harmonic and playing the rest very softly on the other strings. (Don't ask me how I thought he got the waver, I didn't know.)
It's okay, Justin has amazed many people this album...

1) Vicarious Solo
2) The Pot Solo
3) Lost Keys
4) Harmonics/Whammy effect in Right in Two

He's da man =)
parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Its funny that hardly anyone knew it was justin. Like CaseLogic said if adam is playing then its justin. If it was guitar then they'd have some guitar tracks and adam don't do stuff that he can't do live, it would be pointless.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

Its funny that hardly anyone knew it was justin. Like CaseLogic said if adam is playing then its justin. If it was guitar then they'd have some guitar tracks and adam don't do stuff that he can't do live, it would be pointless.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
philipg's Avatar philipg
09-19-2006, 10:34 AM

adam doesnt use an ebow
besides the high part in lost keys is the bass, you can hear the multiple octaves in it from his whammy pedal... watch it live too.
i think justin also uses a tremolo effect for the 3 note riff thing he starts doing after a while to give it the bloop bloop sound ( yes i know i capture the noise perfectly).
Old 09-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #38

adam doesnt use an ebow
besides the high part in lost keys is the bass, you can hear the multiple octaves in it from his whammy pedal... watch it live too.
i think justin also uses a tremolo effect for the 3 note riff thing he starts doing after a while to give it the bloop bloop sound ( yes i know i capture the noise perfectly).

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply