opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Stinkfist
User Name
Password
Old 11-19-2002, 04:45 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
How I think the imagery pertains to the song

Stinkfist is about being desensitized to life and the beauty of it (in my opinion). The video does a great job in illustrating that. Things start off masked in "dust" and there are no clear distiguising colors between objects. Everything is uniform and dull. During the bridge though , the whole tone of the picture undergoes a metamorphesis , manifested through the girl shedding her "cacoon" in the bath tub. After that , the rooms are vibrant , and it all looks more "alive" if you will. If anything , the video drills the meaning of the song into the ground even more (I know that statement has a slightly negative conotation , but that was not intented). Through realization and awarness , life can change from a dull lifeless act into a more vibrant diverse existance.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:12 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

color:

i never thought about it like that.......the way everything is dull in the beginning and bold and colorfull in the end. things kind of change once that dude pokes the wall. i wouldnt be surprised if adam actually thought that out before hand. the way one becomes desensitized and searches or digs for more until the light is shed upon the surface and you can see all the colors and details. very cool.

-s p i r a l - o u t - k e e p - g o i n g-
Old 11-19-2002, 07:53 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

wow, i had never thought of the video that way, but i quite like that interpretation. stinkfist is most definitely one of my very favorite videos, if not my favorite. but it's interesting how you think of beauty in relation to the video, seeing as how the whole environment is grimy and dirty looking, even in the end, when everything is in color. however, that could also relate to how beauty and joy can be found in the strangest places. as that terrible cliche says, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:03 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I agree.

If I'm "beholding" or looking at something, then I'm the beholder ain't I? Right, I am. Therefore, if I see something ugly, it's through my eye, which also happens to be the eye of the beholder.

Fat people who use that cliche to try and increase their self-esteem got pissed at this post.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:03 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

le stinkfist

i agree with what you say, i must admit i hadn't thought about it that much cause the stinkfist video is by far my least favourite. and yeah, thats partly because it is grim and kinda dull and depressing. and then theres the issues of beauty and joy and the eye of the beholder....but maybe we the viewers see the beauty and the joy because we want to, because beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. because we cling to life, because we're mortal and we cling to ideas such as beauty and joy........so much so that we'll manage to pluck them out of anywhere, even when they are not there at all. (don't worry, i'm not a nihilist). just a thought.....or maybe the video was never intended for our consumption or for us to flesh out, maybe it was made as an entity in itself, for itself, and maybe we should leave the characters at it, whatever's going on, cause they certainly seem to know what the story is. the confusion lies within US.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:55 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: le stinkfist

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister
because we cling to life, because we're mortal and we cling to ideas such as beauty and joy........so much so that we'll manage to pluck them out of anywhere, even when they are not there at all.
That's funny, I know EXACTLY what you mean. (Women, perhaps?)
Old 11-23-2002, 11:47 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

yes...

i totally agree with you on this video. i also this its the best video Tool has made. i love Parabola, but i like the Stinkfist video better...
Old 12-02-2002, 01:15 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Awww i get it now!!

I used to think this video had to do with the more literal meaning... Stink fist... I thought the dirt was more likely ummm how do you say SHIT? I thought he was eating shit but I guess its just showing how it goes from being dull and everything is the same to a vibrant and desenstized world. With out these posts Id still think these videos were just some Druged out videos... But at those times I was 14 now that im 16 im starting to see the real meanings of these videos. These videos even though you might not see it actually teach us about ourselves and the world.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:34 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i agree with you on this one, i never really viewed the video like htat but it all makes sence now...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: