opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/11/18 - Munchen, GER - Zenith

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Sober
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/11/18 - Munchen, GER - Zenith

awesome show.

SETLIST

stinkfist
forty six & two
jambi
schism
lost keys (blame hoffman)
rosetta stoned
sober
---
wings for marie
10.000 days (wings part II)
lateralus
vicarious
aenema

it was an incredible show, but the audience kinda sucked. they didn't move at all, just stared like idiots and that's not because of the music, because when mastodon played also no one moved. but there was a nice spot in the 3rd/4th row where it was nice to watch the show, some really great fans. at least the people made some noise.
at one point maynard even said: "you wanna hear more songs? then wake the fuck up!"

i really missed "the pot", but the setlist couldn't have been more perfect. really good. the lights and the animations in the background were god, especially during "wings". really great, hypnotic atmosphere.

pity maynard didn't take off the gas mask :(
What became of subtlety?

Last edited by Desensitized; 11-19-2006 at 04:27 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

To Keenan, Charles and Kevin......I saw TOOL in Munich. The show was good. I have been to better but the experience was good. The post before me is right...the beer flowed ALL night. Maynard didn't say much and he was wearing a gas mask the whole show. It seemed they weren't excited about the show. The venue was an old train repair station and i would have rather seen them in a larger arena. The show at the Bi-Lo center in Greenville was better. Be home soon!!!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Hey, I drove some 600km from Zagreb to see the show. My first Tool show after being a fan for 10yrs. I wasn't disappointed with Tools performance, but the stiff crowd got me a bit down. I don't know is this a German thing or what? Also the sound could have been better, the whole building was vibrating from the bass and the drums.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9

Was there too, we had a great place somewhere in the 6-7 row or so. Since i am listening to Mastodon alot i enjoyed them even if the sound wasnt that good. Some people beside me just covered their ears, annoys me, if its too loud for you get ear sticks.

Anyway, once Tool started off i was in my typical mood while some people beside me just stood there and didnt even move one sole finger to the sound. There where a few couples in front of me (?). I am such a small guy and tried to get some people arround me to move more. For some songs like wings of course its more cool to just enjoy, but songs like Stinkfist, Lateralus, vicarious, sober, aenima, how can you just stand still?

I saw them in Düsseldorf too and i must say munich blowed düsseldrof away, but only due to Tool, surely not because of the fans.
It also seemed to me that some people near our standing place wherent tool fans for a longer time. No harm, but at least do more for the band then. Maynards complaining after a few songs was totally ok and woke up a few people.

Highlights: Stinkfist, LK/RS, Lateralus, Sober, Wings1+2, Vicarious, Schism, Aenima
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

***REPOSTED FROM UPCOMING SHOWS THREAD***
My goodness...4th Tool show this year...yet another one...god that makes it sound trivial a bit eh...but it could not have been further from that. It was just sensory overload...in a fuckin GREAT way...I loved how the visuals were gradually built up...loved the Rosetta Stoned videos. Maynard sounded great, and the sound was not as bad as I expected from the Zenith even though the signs were not favourable, while we heard the building rattle during soundcheck...fuckin hilarious. At some parts the drums and bass were too loud, I could hear it distort, but the vocals were quite clear...I could even make out alot more of Rosetta Stoned this time!

And Wings/10k Days...well what can be said about this? I had goosebumps throughout...and was quite dismayed by people clapping along??? WTF I'm sorry if I come across as a Tool-snob...but I mean if you know anything about their music, and those 2 songs, then CLAPPING ALONG IS NOT ON. Thankfully they stopped soon after, perhaps realizing their faux pas.

My goodness...I can't believe I'll be seeing them again in 3 weeks in Stuttgart! And I came oh-so-close to grabbing Danny's snare skin...missed it by a few inches. sigh. maybe next time:).

Oh and did anyone notice FABIO in the crowd?? hahaha shit like that makes me happy that I came to Germany...fuckin fringe, and flowing blonde hair with a 80's leather jacket!

loved Maynard's comment: "We'll see you...next summer. Hopefully somewhere outside with fresh air, so I don't have to wear this fuckin' mask" haha

I was standing against the 2nd barricade just off to the right, and I was slightly disappointed with the crowd in my vicinity. Having said that though, there were quite a few people comin over the barrier in the 1st half of the show...one guy nearly broke my neck because I didn't see him coming!

Oh and it was funny how hardcore the security guys were about the non-smoking policy though I hardly think it get anyone from lighting up their jay's ...the smell was everywhere:)...and there was also some dude filming the show on his TINY ass handycam...which got spotted by the bouncers obviously...and one of them climbed into the pit and went right for him..wonder what happened...the idiot kept filming even when a couple of guys tipped him off that the security dude was coming. lol douchebag should've run...

too bad i didn't get to meet any of you guys this time around, but if anyone's going to Stuttgart on 5/12, PM me, i'll be goin on my own and would love to talk shit and have a few drinks to pass the time!

P.S. I've also posted some similar views on my myspace blog which I think is slightly more eloquent...and perhaps even slightly amusing.

P.P.S. Mastodon were decent, but their sound was fucked...I did enjoy the last couple of songs though.

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|

Last edited by deep_schismic; 11-20-2006 at 04:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

All I can say is that it was great to hear WINGS I & II. Quite emotional. Yeah the crowd wasn't the best (better than a bunch of idiots slamming in a pit though) but overall the show was a good one. The lights and visuals are growing and changing - quite different from Madrid! De Eier Von Satan would have been an interesting addition to the set list. The intros were quite trippy. Thanks again to Shelee for for the rissotto and Happy Birthday again to Justin (00:01). Also, of course Happy Anniversary to you both. Good to see Ryan (sp?) and nice to meet Braun. See you all in Glasgow and then Zurich. Still no Maynard ... are you making tea biscuits after the show? " ... come out to playeeeeeeee".

Last edited by T6O6O6L; 11-21-2006 at 02:52 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-21-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

@ deep schismic: Sorry i didn't look for you but i didn't want to lose my place about 5 people from the stage, dead center. i was too excited and wanted to be by myself then.

this was my second tool concert and i thought it was fantastic, especially in comparison to the Berlin show in June which i did not enjoy at all.

didn't have any ear protection and it was fun to notice how my ears got gradually fucked during the gig. The sound was pretty intense and clear from where i was, Danny's bass drum felt like it was punching right through my body with every beat.
It was also fun to watch Danny turning from relaxed and seemingly bored into totally wet and exhausted.

Probably it was a good thing that i didn't listen to any Tool during the past few months and didn't check for any setlist information/reviews/description of recent shows. The gasmask was a pleasant surprise!

the only annoying thing imo was the Biergarten-style clapping. Fuck you stupid cunts!
Hm and i'm probably the only one who liked how the crowd was relatively quiet... Could just stand there and enjoy the show. No elbows, almost no stupid yelling, and totally up front!

edit: lol @ mastodon. they were boring as fuck srsly.

Last edited by orange.juice; 11-21-2006 at 04:10 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-21-2006, 06:16 AM   #9
(tdn $upporter) - S.O.B: Save Our Bluths

Bincount™: 33

@orange.juice: that's cool man, glad you got a good spot. I was debating the front or further back for some time...for stuttgart i'll be a bit closer but dead center...although from where I was that drum skin came fuckin REAL close...i think eventually i'll luck out and score a little somethin one of these days!

and yeah my ears are still a bit fucked...i think i'm gettin old haha

'what happens after you figure out the meaning of life?...The List #43

myspace|flickr|
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 56

this was my second tool show (first one was berlin) and i think the same about the crowd... the atmosphere was better than in berlin but not satisfying. people standing next to me seemed like frozen (and destroyed my good mood ò.ó). i hope i'll have the chance to see the band in another country one day...

but the show for itself was great! much better than berlin! the green lights were really cool! and adam's still looking always so sad onstage... but watching danny was a pleasure as always^^
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

setlist has been posted correct...
saw them 5th time (2002rock im park/2006 prague,novarock,rock im park,munich) and i still think 2002 shows have been much better.
was glad to hear wings1+2, but as schismic said...y do germans always have to clap?! and it was kinda surprising for me that they didn't play the pot. the laser show and the videos were amazing. maynard was wearing a gas mask during the whole gig, which looked pretty funny i think :) and it was strictly forbidden to smoke but noone seemed to care about .i was standing on left side near the stage and there the people have been ok. show was good, but prague was way better i think. zenith isn't a good place for bands like tool in my opinion...i saw rage against the machine there in 2000 and this kicked ass very much, but tool needs some kind of arena i think....not an old train repair station :)
gonna see em in mannheim too, hope theres a better arena and a better crowd...and i still hope that they'll play right in two :)
lookin forward to the summer tour
greets from outta germany!
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-23-2006, 06:42 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

my 7th tool show. great stuff from both bands. liked the sound a lot. missed most of the tool visuals since this is an all standing venue. but overall a great show, good crowd, and a filled up zenith.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

7th .. or 8th? show for me also ...

best sound i ever heard in that arena which really suffers from beeing just a huge industrial hall. great concert overall, but i also miss some of the intensity from former shows. they might be doing a bit too much on the sfx stuff ...

Last edited by seelenjaeger; 11-23-2006 at 10:15 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

the light show was great, I can only remember one concert which had a better one, the chemical brothers at rock im park 2005 (I guess).
Cos I lost a friend of mine before the beginning and because I had to take care of my little sister, I was quite far away from the stage, right behind the thingie that emitted the green lasers. So the sound wasnt the best, tho I had the impression it got better and louder during the show. Greetings to the guy postin about his ears gradually fuckin up, I felt the same ^^
Didnt mind the clapping along, as it stopped before it was too late, haha. And by the way, this is not a german habit, or it would suprise me at least. Im german and have been to a lot of concerts, jaja (:
Ah yes and the show itself definitely rocked. I was so glad to hear 10kd live, though I missed the pot too. And I sooooooo hoped to hear some other stuff from Aenima, like Eulogy or H, or Pushit. But you cannot have it all I guess. Seeee ya next time.
P.S.: I also got pissed off by the fact that no one around me moved to the music. In the middle of the show, I stood in an empty circle and moshed and jumped around with closed eyes. Think a few people gave me a crooked look while they continued standing there and not even tapping their feet. yada yada.
OFFLINE |  
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #15
Level 3 - Talker

I feel ashamed for the clapping thing which is, as I can guarantee, NO tipical German or Bavarian behavior!

It was my 2nd Tool show (I've seen them before at Rock am Ring). The gas mask was awesome and if he had taken it off, I wouldn't call him James Meynard Keenan anymore...it's just his way of attracting attention (positively imo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitized
it was an incredible show, but the audience kinda sucked. they didn't move at all, just stared like idiots and that's not because of the music, because when mastodon played also no one moved. but there was a nice spot in the 3rd/4th row where it was nice to watch the show, some really great fans. at least the people made some noise.
I was standing at the center, about 2nd to 4th row. There were quite a few great fans, that's true. But that Mexican guy with his stupid flag was annoying.

I actually like jumping and shouting at concerts but for me Mastodon simply wasn't worth it. I mean...I could see that they really were great musicians, it was amazing to watch the guitarist's fingers racing over the strings, but all I could hear was a terrible mash coming out of the speakers (which, by the way, were blasting my leg hairs away!).
They were too loud and badly merged.

Tool, however, was fantastic!
The laser show was amazing and the whole concert was reminding me of Pink Floyd in some way. I liked all the little stuff they added to show, like the short drum solo or "Lost Keys".

The atmosphere was fantastic, too and with no one around me smoking, I could enjoy everything even more.
I would've loved to hear Right In Two, but I don't want to make demands - the setlist was convincing.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: