opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 09. Lateralus
User Name
Password
Old 04-14-2004, 03:03 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7
Possible lateralus connection to psychedelic drugs?

I personally have not dropped acid but have shroomed a few times... when listening to the song on shrooms i felt some sort of connection to the lyrics in it. While i believe that this song was written around the fibonacci sequence, i see no reason why it could not have multiple meanings.... lets examine the lyrics:

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Ok... what this could be saying is that before the user tried these psychedilic drugs, they were used to their old normal life or "black and white"... they tried them and then they see the world in a new way... red and yellow. The next three lines are describing how this new state of mind he has reached is nothing like he imagined. he has pushed the envelope of what he thought was possible.... i can personally relate to this because the first time i shroomed i had a high dosage (3.5g) and was introduced to a world which i never thought was possible.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

when your body is on psychedelics, the electrical signals in your brain communicate differently and as a result you have a totally different state of mind and thought than when sober or even on any other type of drug. you tend to "overthink and over analyze" everything.... i had life changing revelations the first time i did shrooms because my brain was in this state... because this new state of mind is totally different than anything the user has experienced before his "intuition" has been withered and has realized that he has missed opportunities in his life without these drugs... he wants to "feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines" or feed his urge to do the drug in a order to think way outside the lines for a "moment"... which is what drugs are... being different for only a moment in time

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see there is so much more
and beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

"there is so much more and beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities" can easily describe your mindstate on pyscadelics.... one with infinite possibilities and knowledge "above and beyond" what he imagined.... "drawn outside the lines of region" from what he previously thought was possible sober

Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

he wants to feed his will to feel the moment on the drug and reach out to embrace what ever may come while under the influence of it.... since there is no way of telling what your trip will be like while you are tripping, you are "embracing the random"

I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

to those of you reading this post who have done shrooms or acid (once again i have never done acid but from what i have heard you are in the same mindstate) you will easily be able to connect to this verse.... when you take the drug you embrace your desire to feel connected with everything in the world... you are one with the earth as well as people and music (the rhythm).... when you are having a good trip you realize how beautiful life is (witness the beauty) and swing on the spiral of life.... you expereince every part of what is good in life and you are still able to be a human

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

this verse can easily describe how overwhelmed one is while under the influence of psychedelics.... you loose yourelf in your thoughts or music and embrace the moment totally. you reach out for whatever may come next in your trip (reaching for the random) and you may discover something totally new and have new theories about how to live life, what the meaning of life is etc (may just go where no ones been)

well tell me your thoughts on that.... once again while the fibonacchi sequence is definetly in this song, there is no reason why the actual lyrics cannot have a meaning to it.... does anyone have any comments on this interpretation?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Possible lateralus connection to psychedelic drugs?

When i tripped on shrooms and listened to this i also defenetly felt a connection. Really i thiknk this song is basically up growth of a person and the importance of spiraling out instead of going in a straight line. (I dont think i described that really good but i think you'll no what i mean)
Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 24

I look forward to acid.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

eek. double post.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:49 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Nice, but probly not.

As pointed out on this board, the key to interpreting this song is the line, "As below so above ---"

Black, white, citrine, and red are the four "stages" of alchemy. Read up on it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 3499

Quote:
Originally Posted by just simulacra
Nice, but probly not.

As pointed out on this board, the key to interpreting this song is the line, "As below so above ---"

thank you.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Nice, but probly not.

actually i definatly see the influence of substances in this song. and the fact that the colors he mentions may be tied to alchemy in no way comprimises this theory............
i think this song is all about pushing the boundries of the mind with the aid of substances and possibly meditation........
......push the envelope, watch it bend..........

any of us who have used enthogens(LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, bannasteria) or dissociatives(DMT, DXM, ketamine) can easily relate to the over thinking over analyzing lines,as well as the seperate the body from the mind lines,which any extremly powerful introspective expierence can do.(with dissaccociatives you may not even require the introspective phase).

withering my intuition..............

as some of us may know, the dangers of using substances are always right there in your face
Old 02-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

damnit..................i pressed submit before i was finished..............
now where was i.........ah yes.......
the dangers are always there.....but............

but i must feed my will to feel this moment,
drawing way outside the lines,

it's just something some of us must do............(we choose a path that no one goes...)

there is so much more that becons me,
to look through to these,
infinite possibilities,

he cannot help himself............the thought of attaining something more is to much to resist...................

more later....................
Old 02-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

feed my will to feel this moment...........urging me to cross the line

he gives into his desire to use the substance,

reaching out to embrace the random......
reaching out to embrace whatever my come........

as we all know , when dealing with the psychedelic expierience, nothing is ever defininte, you never know exactly what you will be shown...........
he is saying here he is ready to see anything it has to show him......he is ready to embrace it, no matter what it is....................as opposed to some earlier pieces when he is stuggleing with thses things.

embarce my desire to..............
feel the rhythm,
to feel connected
enough to step outside and
weep like a widow,
to feel inspired,
to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountin,
to swing on a spiral
of our vinity and still be a human,

(first of all how fucking beautiful these words are........i mean......who the fuck is this guy?)
i don't know how anyone who has ever ingested a mind expanding substance, could not relate to these words.................

with my feat upon the ground,
i lose myself between the sounds,
and open wide to suck it in,
i feel it move across my skin,
i'm reaching up and reaching out,
i'm reaching for the random or
whatever will bewilder me,

he gives himself completely to the expierience,

and following our will and wind we may just go where no ones been,
we'll ride the spiral to the end,
we may just go where no ones been.

he chooses to sacrifice himself for the chance at gaining something more,

spiral out.
keep going.

never stopping, no matter the consequence.

post script...........
the idea of the artist sacrificing themself for thier art is not a new thing. there have been many before:
Arthur Rimbaud
Vincent Van Gogh
Jim Morrison ect. ect.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysegicevolution
embarce my desire to..............
feel the rhythm,
to feel connected
enough to step outside and
weep like a widow,
to feel inspired,
to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty,
to bathe in the fountin,
to swing on a spiral
of our vinity and still be a human,

(first of all how fucking beautiful these words are........i mean......who the fuck is this guy?)
i don't know how anyone who has ever ingested a mind expanding substance, could not relate to these words.................

I agree. I could also relate the words to about a thousand other ideas ... from sex, to videogames --- to drugs. Regardless of how well a picture you can paint relating the song to something else, it's still pretty obvious it's more alchemy-related than anything else.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I agree. I could also relate the words to about a thousand other ideas ... from sex, to videogames --- to drugs. Regardless of how well a picture you can paint relating the song to something else, it's still pretty obvious it's more alchemy-related than anything else.

i just don't agree............and even if it is alchemy related.........and i'm not saying that it's not............i still think the root of this song comes from the psychedelic expierience
..........and it works both ways, no matter how many ties you can make with this song to alchemy, i think that to deny this song has a psychedlic influence is like denying the sky is blue.........it's right there, just staring you in the face..................but really nither one of us is any more correct than the other.........and i think it's a bit ignorant to presume that the song is unquestionably about anything, as nobody really knows except the man who wrote it........
Old 02-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

i think this is a quite plausible interpretation of this song...i never thought of it like this before but it seems to make sense, and lysergicevolution...youre right those lines get me everytime, you can just feel the emotion in them because they are written so poetically, and beautifully...good interpretation
Old 02-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage
i think this is a quite plausible interpretation of this song...i never thought of it like this before but it seems to make sense, and lysergicevolution...youre right those lines get me everytime, you can just feel the emotion in them because they are written so poetically, and beautifully...good interpretation

thank you very much sage
Old 02-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
the crybaby

Bincount™: 1562

Tool, and....drugs? It's a stretch, but you might have something here.

-OftenLost
Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

I think that Lateralus can be applied to personal growth with or without drugs. But, yes, I can agree with your theory Emericana.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 10

Possibly ...

I think it is just about a guy sitting down and thinking of all the world's "woes."

Eventually he discovers that there is more to the world than fixing the problems.

All these beautiful things are around us and we constantly fret over the "problems." Maybe the biggest problem is that most people think they have problems where they really don't (some people really do have problems, don'tget me wrong.)

EX: Guy worrying about not being able to buy the car of his dreams or be what his parents always wanted him to be.

Reality: A car is a freaking car so long as it runs. When is the last time this guy just looked back and was like "man, i'm so grateful I have a car and not a horse and buggy."

To me, this song is about realizing the truly awesome forces at work in the world and admiring them (us?) for what they are without the aid of drugs. This song is about realization and reflection, not a drug trip.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
Level 2 - Poster

Location: austin/edging ever closer to NOW/among the everexpanding and imploding stardust

i personally relate it to dMT, in the dope sense, but thats definately not the way, or the only way, it was meant to be percieved, but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

thats the beauty in tool no? the fact that the lyrics are awesomely symbolic/metaphoric... everyone gets someonething else out of it. whether maynard is alluding to alchemy or psychedelia [which, if you think about it, is all just pharmacopia, and can be seen as the same thing... where do you think the word chemical comes from?] or meditation, or whatever, its up to YOU what to decide what it means to YOU. thats the beauty of post-modernism.

p.s. ofcourse you felt connected to the song when you were on mushies, you feel connected to everything when your on mushies.... but then again... that is ofcourse, because you are connected to everything... but thats a different story altogether....

peace.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: