Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 01. Vicarious
User Name
Password
audesys
04-17-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises
I am from New Zealand. I had a quick listen and he is probably an Aussie, possibly a Kiwi and not British. But of course, who knows where he was when he said those words.
this got me thinking - could it be a sample from "natural born killers"? Robert Downey Jr puts on a pretty unconvincing aussie accent in the film. The song also shares similar themes with the movie...

Couldn't find anything to back this up on a quick google search though - maybe someone with the dvd could check it out.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 AM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: the talking at 5:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by implandnoises
I am from New Zealand. I had a quick listen and he is probably an Aussie, possibly a Kiwi and not British. But of course, who knows where he was when he said those words.
this got me thinking - could it be a sample from "natural born killers"? Robert Downey Jr puts on a pretty unconvincing aussie accent in the film. The song also shares similar themes with the movie...

Couldn't find anything to back this up on a quick google search though - maybe someone with the dvd could check it out.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tangent's Avatar tangent
04-17-2006, 04:28 AM

This sounds like an indication that some people are to be shot down by the media and shown up for how they act.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #42
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8

This sounds like an indication that some people are to be shot down by the media and shown up for how they act.
Cucumber_11's Avatar Cucumber_11
04-17-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audesys

I used to watch that film religiously and it doesn't seem to ring a bell.

Check out the quotes on www.imdb.com just in case it is there, i don't think it is though.
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Old 04-17-2006, 05:26 AM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 192

Quote:

I used to watch that film religiously and it doesn't seem to ring a bell.

Check out the quotes on www.imdb.com just in case it is there, i don't think it is though.
"10, 000 Days was everything I wanted Lateralus to be. When I first got it [Lateralus] I felt it was a very very good album but no way up there with my favourites. Then 10, 000 Days came and it was like 'woah'."
Scrunzset's Avatar Scrunzset
04-17-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:

Been watching the DVD the past couple days (actually started absorbing it again on Thursday, then on Friday "Vicarious" ends up leaking.... perfect timing) and nothing on the song sounds like Wayne Gale.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #44
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:

Been watching the DVD the past couple days (actually started absorbing it again on Thursday, then on Friday "Vicarious" ends up leaking.... perfect timing) and nothing on the song sounds like Wayne Gale.
04-18-2006, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
wtf guys

next youll be isolating the chimes at the beginning and detrmining what size triangle was used to produce the "dings"

lol
Actually im pretty sure I recognize that sound from this:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ROLHPD15

My brother has it, and last tour we went to all the florida shows and Carey was constantly playing around with this thing, I even recall him using a patch called 'forest' a couple times.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Old 04-18-2006, 03:55 AM   #45
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: Newscast Cleaned up Samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
wtf guys

next youll be isolating the chimes at the beginning and detrmining what size triangle was used to produce the "dings"

lol
Actually im pretty sure I recognize that sound from this:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ROLHPD15

My brother has it, and last tour we went to all the florida shows and Carey was constantly playing around with this thing, I even recall him using a patch called 'forest' a couple times.

www.soundclick.com/bands/9/markmattermusic.htm

www.matter4u.com pics and music
Opiate_Mass's Avatar Opiate_Mass
04-18-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylleb
remember back to aenima, stinkfist was a challange to the listener to be valuneralbe in listening to the album. "Think for yourself" I think tool is saying whoever listens to this album should shed their basic need for others to inform us on things we don't know about. use your experiences and juxtapose them onto the music to discover insight into our fucked up information hierarchy. spirl out
but, by 'thinking for yourself', you're inadvertently thinking how tool want you to think, which isnt really thinking for yoursef, now is it?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 49
Re: Is it possible that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylleb
remember back to aenima, stinkfist was a challange to the listener to be valuneralbe in listening to the album. "Think for yourself" I think tool is saying whoever listens to this album should shed their basic need for others to inform us on things we don't know about. use your experiences and juxtapose them onto the music to discover insight into our fucked up information hierarchy. spirl out
but, by 'thinking for yourself', you're inadvertently thinking how tool want you to think, which isnt really thinking for yoursef, now is it?
chonus's Avatar chonus
04-18-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate_Mass
If you think for yourself, then you listened to tool.

If you don't think for yourself...

You're trying to trick me.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 AM   #47
Level 7 - Loquacious

Re: Is it possible that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate_Mass
If you think for yourself, then you listened to tool.

If you don't think for yourself...

You're trying to trick me.
daem
04-21-2006, 03:33 AM

First post here, but I just got thinking reading this thread.
The very fact that we're all digging so deep into finding out the details behind this newsclip of a guy being murdered by his own son, is evidence that we all enjoy hearing/reading/watching something about violence, at some level, which is exactly the idea that this song is trying to put across.

I think it also ties in with Right In Two:

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it
Right in two.

Divide it, right in two, kinda like the left and right audio channels perhaps? Who knows, bit far fetched but, just a bit of idle thought I wanted to share.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

First post here, but I just got thinking reading this thread.
The very fact that we're all digging so deep into finding out the details behind this newsclip of a guy being murdered by his own son, is evidence that we all enjoy hearing/reading/watching something about violence, at some level, which is exactly the idea that this song is trying to put across.

I think it also ties in with Right In Two:

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs they forge a blade
And where there's one they're bound to divide it
Right in two.

Divide it, right in two, kinda like the left and right audio channels perhaps? Who knows, bit far fetched but, just a bit of idle thought I wanted to share.
TubGirl's Avatar TubGirl
05-04-2006, 07:22 AM

to be honest i was curios to know what it was,well donr for putting in the effort, easy when u know ho i guess
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #49
Level 3 - Talker

to be honest i was curios to know what it was,well donr for putting in the effort, easy when u know ho i guess
rachmiel4's Avatar rachmiel4
05-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Just wanted to paste the 5:00 sample before it disappeared from the linked page:

For more information go to Friday Morning...but the ballistic report and fingerprint analysis led investigators back to the home of the late [Irv?] Benson. The evidence suggests that Benson may have been shot by his own son, Nathan, age 26. For more information go to Friday Morning...but the ballistic report and fingerprint analysis led investigators back to the home of the late [Irv?] Benson. The evidence suggests Benson may have been shot by his own son, Nathan, age 26.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #50
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 43

Just wanted to paste the 5:00 sample before it disappeared from the linked page:

For more information go to Friday Morning...but the ballistic report and fingerprint analysis led investigators back to the home of the late [Irv?] Benson. The evidence suggests that Benson may have been shot by his own son, Nathan, age 26. For more information go to Friday Morning...but the ballistic report and fingerprint analysis led investigators back to the home of the late [Irv?] Benson. The evidence suggests Benson may have been shot by his own son, Nathan, age 26.
vic1torious's Avatar vic1torious
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM

As everyone knows there is a clip of a news telecast in the left channel, but I swear I hear something coming out of the right channel as well, though it is MUCH fainter. Does anyone else hear this?

vic1torious
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #51

News report in the right channel

As everyone knows there is a clip of a news telecast in the left channel, but I swear I hear something coming out of the right channel as well, though it is MUCH fainter. Does anyone else hear this?

vic1torious
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar Spaceman Spiff
05-24-2006, 12:30 PM

I thought I heard somthing right before the "alarm clock" rings the second time, is that what you're referring to? I never noticed either of them before...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #52
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 32
Re: News report in the right channel

I thought I heard somthing right before the "alarm clock" rings the second time, is that what you're referring to? I never noticed either of them before...
youareveryhit's Avatar youareveryhit
05-25-2006, 12:17 PM

there was a huge thread about this a couple weeks ago. I think I remember someone having found the news clip they used on google. not sure.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #53
Level 4 - Thinker

there was a huge thread about this a couple weeks ago. I think I remember someone having found the news clip they used on google. not sure.
Lie Cheat And Steal
05-29-2006, 08:26 PM

nice post ill have to check into this
Old 05-29-2006, 08:26 PM   #54
Level 3 - Talker

nice post ill have to check into this
pau
06-21-2006, 12:34 AM

forgive me if this is elsewhere..

i'm sure you've all heard this, starting at about 5:00, a background voice.

I suspect it's a journalist talking about some particular tragic event, just because it would fit very nicely

Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #55
pau
Level 4 - Thinker

What is the background footage??

forgive me if this is elsewhere..

i'm sure you've all heard this, starting at about 5:00, a background voice.

I suspect it's a journalist talking about some particular tragic event, just because it would fit very nicely

Any thoughts?
deppo's Avatar deppo
06-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Yeah there was a thread here somewhere about this, called news reports or something. If you listen close im almost positive they are australian accents, one dude in the other thread suggested in was George Negus! Im interested in the Australian connection.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20
Re: What is the background footage??

Yeah there was a thread here somewhere about this, called news reports or something. If you listen close im almost positive they are australian accents, one dude in the other thread suggested in was George Negus! Im interested in the Australian connection.
06-26-2006, 10:27 PM

I would love to hear the news clip in full if anyone finds it again...
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #57
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20

I would love to hear the news clip in full if anyone finds it again...
08-09-2006, 05:44 AM

Any one figured out what is being said druing the bridge at 5:05.
sounds like a news clip.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #58
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13
Quiet voices

Any one figured out what is being said druing the bridge at 5:05.
sounds like a news clip.
EyeOfThoth
08-11-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1torious
I hear it. It is very faint and muddled. Can't make out a damn thing.
Also has anyone noticed the voice of the 'newscaster' sounds a lot like the same voice of the doctor in lost keys?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 AM   #59
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic1torious
Also has anyone noticed the voice of the 'newscaster' sounds a lot like the same voice of the doctor in lost keys?
Carbonatedgravy
08-11-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfThoth
The accent is the same (or similar), but the voice in Vicarious is really too quiet for me to be able to tell.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #60
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfThoth
The accent is the same (or similar), but the voice in Vicarious is really too quiet for me to be able to tell.
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
08-30-2006, 02:55 PM

Here's the whole story in case anyone was intersted:

Conejos sheriff searches for answer in Capulin killing
ERIN SMITH
The Pueblo Chieftain

CAPULIN -- Senon Martinez, 69, was killed Sunday morning by a single bullet that entered his back and exited out the front, Conejos County Sheriff Isaac Gallegos said Wednesday.

Gallegos said that until a ballistics report has been made, his office won't know who to charge in the death.

Martinez, a well-known weaver whose works hang in the Smithsonian Institution, the White House and the Denver Art Museum, was shot to death in his yard here early Sunday when he apparently went to investigate gunshots aimed at his dog, which liked to chase vehicles.

Authorities believe Martinez may have been shot by his own son, 29-year-old Frank Gabriel Martinez, who reportedly was returning fire from the family home.

Gallegos said it may take some time to determine whether Martinez died from a bullet from the .22-caliber rifle in the pickup truck carrying four male teen-agers or from the .22-caliber rifle in his own home.

The younger Martinez was so distraught he had to be sedated, was taken into custody and went to the Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo for a 72-hour observation.

He was scheduled for release Wednesday and bail was set for him at $5,000, Gallegos said.

A self-employed farmer and rancher, Senon Martinez is survived by his wife, Viola Martinez of Capulin, five daughters and six sons.

Here's the link, it was cached in Google.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:dkSq8FBvEagJ:
www.chieftain.com/metro/869119200/16/sea+%22may+have+been+shot+by+his+own+son
%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
Old 08-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #61

Here's the whole story in case anyone was intersted:

Conejos sheriff searches for answer in Capulin killing
ERIN SMITH
The Pueblo Chieftain

CAPULIN -- Senon Martinez, 69, was killed Sunday morning by a single bullet that entered his back and exited out the front, Conejos County Sheriff Isaac Gallegos said Wednesday.

Gallegos said that until a ballistics report has been made, his office won't know who to charge in the death.

Martinez, a well-known weaver whose works hang in the Smithsonian Institution, the White House and the Denver Art Museum, was shot to death in his yard here early Sunday when he apparently went to investigate gunshots aimed at his dog, which liked to chase vehicles.

Authorities believe Martinez may have been shot by his own son, 29-year-old Frank Gabriel Martinez, who reportedly was returning fire from the family home.

Gallegos said it may take some time to determine whether Martinez died from a bullet from the .22-caliber rifle in the pickup truck carrying four male teen-agers or from the .22-caliber rifle in his own home.

The younger Martinez was so distraught he had to be sedated, was taken into custody and went to the Colorado Mental Health Institute in Pueblo for a 72-hour observation.

He was scheduled for release Wednesday and bail was set for him at $5,000, Gallegos said.

A self-employed farmer and rancher, Senon Martinez is survived by his wife, Viola Martinez of Capulin, five daughters and six sons.

Here's the link, it was cached in Google.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:dkSq8FBvEagJ:
www.chieftain.com/metro/869119200/16/sea+%22may+have+been+shot+by+his+own+son
%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
09-01-2006, 09:42 AM

I'm not sure that is the news story that the broadcast in the song refers to. If "beaurocrat" is in this song, it's defintely not the above story.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #62

I'm not sure that is the news story that the broadcast in the song refers to. If "beaurocrat" is in this song, it's defintely not the above story.
iAMtheMA!'s Avatar iAMtheMA!
12-21-2006, 12:50 PM

so, have we made any conclusions concerning the text of this news report yet? if so, could someone kindly transcribe that out for me?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #63
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 217

so, have we made any conclusions concerning the text of this news report yet? if so, could someone kindly transcribe that out for me?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply