Bincount™: 9
Re: How has Tool affected your outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
careful.... Satan's watching you.. >:-)
lol...
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM

btw, I was at the Detroit show too, and when Maynard said he dedicated those songs to Satan, the audience's reaction was priceless. Half were silent and you probably heard me laugh the best evil laugh I could, really loud. It was FUNNY. Haven't you learned that Tool is "Tooling around" with you.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #82
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

btw, I was at the Detroit show too, and when Maynard said he dedicated those songs to Satan, the audience's reaction was priceless. Half were silent and you probably heard me laugh the best evil laugh I could, really loud. It was FUNNY. Haven't you learned that Tool is "Tooling around" with you.
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I would LOVE to know he was just kidding. I haven't even listned to Tool since then...it's killing me, which makes me think it is devil related all the more.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #83
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
I would LOVE to know he was just kidding. I haven't even listned to Tool since then...it's killing me, which makes me think it is devil related all the more.
06-07-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <wood>
I used to love Tool's music until I learned that the they are really Tools of Satan.

I was at the Detroit show...Maynard dedicated the last set of three songs to SATAN! Wake Up! He must be a devil worshiper. The whole band must be. I lost it. I freaking couldn't believe my ears. And I Quote: "I'd like to dedicate this next set to ...Satan" MJK 5/15/06.

MJK must have been kidding, otherwise, he is on Satan's payrol.

It all made sence for me after hearing him say that (incidentally roughly 30% of the crowd cheered on. What was the percentage of angels cast from Heaven with Satan?)...the mystical 'sacred architecture'...the UFO songs...Hatred of God...Look he obviously hates God, so he must believe in Him. So does the devil, he knows darn well that God exists, he was cast out of Heaven by Him. Why?

Regarding Christianity...In my opinion-- The Only Way. Religion however, faulted by man - True, but not entirely. Most of the message of Christ's teachings are found in many of today's popular religions. However, you may have to look past some of man's influences to see the truth the He brought us.

As for this new age religion idea that we are all gods, etc. one quote comes to mind. "I have learned two things in my life: First there is a God, and second I am not Him." I wish I knew who's quote this is.

To all those of you who are just dying to rip me a new one... Look I've really enjoyed reading and posting on this board. I was open to ideas, I listened. But when MJK said what he said, I cannot in good conscience support the band or the devil.
Does anyone remember hearing about Maynard thanking Satan in his Grammy acceptance speech for Schism? He wasn't really thanking Satan, per se... I think it's more along the line of him making fun of all the phonies that get up there and thank "God" out of one face and then go snort an 8-ball after the show. I think he was just saying, in a nutshell, 'if I'm going to thank someone I don't really have any respect/care/concern/regard for... I may as well piss some stupid people off while I'm at it." - Obviously it worked.

Self-affirming? Oxymoronic. We are all one mind
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #84
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

Quote:
I used to love Tool's music until I learned that the they are really Tools of Satan.

I was at the Detroit show...Maynard dedicated the last set of three songs to SATAN! Wake Up! He must be a devil worshiper. The whole band must be. I lost it. I freaking couldn't believe my ears. And I Quote: "I'd like to dedicate this next set to ...Satan" MJK 5/15/06.

It all made sence for me after hearing him say that (incidentally roughly 30% of the crowd cheered on. What was the percentage of angels cast from Heaven with Satan?)...the mystical 'sacred architecture'...the UFO songs...Hatred of God...Look he obviously hates God, so he must believe in Him. So does the devil, he knows darn well that God exists, he was cast out of Heaven by Him. Why?

Regarding Christianity...In my opinion-- The Only Way. Religion however, faulted by man - True, but not entirely. Most of the message of Christ's teachings are found in many of today's popular religions. However, you may have to look past some of man's influences to see the truth the He brought us.

As for this new age religion idea that we are all gods, etc. one quote comes to mind. "I have learned two things in my life: First there is a God, and second I am not Him." I wish I knew who's quote this is.

To all those of you who are just dying to rip me a new one... Look I've really enjoyed reading and posting on this board. I was open to ideas, I listened. But when MJK said what he said, I cannot in good conscience support the band or the devil.
Does anyone remember hearing about Maynard thanking Satan in his Grammy acceptance speech for Schism? He wasn't really thanking Satan, per se... I think it's more along the line of him making fun of all the phonies that get up there and thank "God" out of one face and then go snort an 8-ball after the show. I think he was just saying, in a nutshell, 'if I'm going to thank someone I don't really have any respect/care/concern/regard for... I may as well piss some stupid people off while I'm at it." - Obviously it worked.

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Listen to Wings for Marie/10,000 Days. That song will calm a frightened Christian down any day.

Then, when you feel brave enough, listen to The Gaping Lotus Experience (hidden track at the end of Opiate)

J O I N
U S
Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #85
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Listen to Wings for Marie/10,000 Days. That song will calm a frightened Christian down any day.

Then, when you feel brave enough, listen to The Gaping Lotus Experience (hidden track at the end of Opiate)

J O I N
U S
06-07-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketEffect
I'm not pissed, except that for me it does matter that he said that. Maybe I'm stupid, but that tramples on my belief system. I don't knock those who are athiest, agnostic, whatever. That's thier choice, I have made mine based on my upbringing and my life experience. I am glad to be who I am.

If you want to trash me, go ahead, but I am just being honest and trying to get to the bottom of his comments. Obviously it worked.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I'm not pissed, except that for me it does matter that he said that. Maybe I'm stupid, but that tramples on my belief system. I don't knock those who are athiest, agnostic, whatever. That's thier choice, I have made mine based on my upbringing and my life experience. I am glad to be who I am.

If you want to trash me, go ahead, but I am just being honest and trying to get to the bottom of his comments. Obviously it worked.
06-07-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Mhm, and you don't base his impression on scarcity either. Tool doesn't play Satan worshipping music, listen to 10,000 Days, even the songs that weren't dedicated to his mother weren't even Satanic, so <Wood>, don't get drawn into that state of mind, that Maynard worships Satan.

-Æ/æ
Old 06-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #87
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Mhm, and you don't base his impression on scarcity either. Tool doesn't play Satan worshipping music, listen to 10,000 Days, even the songs that weren't dedicated to his mother weren't even Satanic, so <Wood>, don't get drawn into that state of mind, that Maynard worships Satan.

-Æ/æ
<wood>
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:

J O I N
U S
That song is not on my disc. I bought mine at walmart

JOIN
US - lol
Old 06-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #88
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

J O I N
U S

JOIN
US - lol
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:

JOIN
US - lol
Wal-Mart is the house of the devil. Your CD is possessed.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #89
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

JOIN
US - lol
Wal-Mart is the house of the devil. Your CD is possessed.
06-07-2006, 09:02 PM

wow....Wal-Mart did that?...hmmmmmmmmmmmm..m
Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #90
Level 7 - Loquacious

PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
06-07-2006, 09:03 PM

I'm a christian...I fully believe in my belief's. Jesus was the son of god I can say, I can say love one another. I can follow my christian beliefs with ease.

What tool has done for me is question the methods of my church. Question the "I'm right your wrong" thoughts that come from alot of congregations.

I have also become more open to others thoughts. I may disagree, but I will listen and try to learn from them.

So in conclusion...let me quote the boondocks.

"Jesus was black, Ronald Regan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11"

So far I believe the jesus thing and the 9/11 thing.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #91
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I'm a christian...I fully believe in my belief's. Jesus was the son of god I can say, I can say love one another. I can follow my christian beliefs with ease.

What tool has done for me is question the methods of my church. Question the "I'm right your wrong" thoughts that come from alot of congregations.

I have also become more open to others thoughts. I may disagree, but I will listen and try to learn from them.

"Jesus was black, Ronald Regan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11"

06-07-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
No, I was just kidding.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #92
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by æmoeba•°·.
No, I was just kidding.
06-07-2006, 09:27 PM

lol..-.-
Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #93
Level 7 - Loquacious

lol..-.-
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
06-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Man, what have you guys done to this thread lol... I will say, damn I wish I'd been into Tool at 5, or 8 or 9 - I was 15 when I first got into them, would've given me many more years of coolness, or I should say "Toolness" heh.

I saw one post in there about them not being the first to express the ideas that they do. That is the whole point though, isn't it? Of course they are not the first, but they are fantastic contemporary messengers , and you always need that. Something for the young folk to relate to, and get them thinking. Plus their take on it, is an original, and a not easily imitated one at that. A bit of an apex of what, from wha,t and to what has come before, in my opinion anyway.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #94
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

Man, what have you guys done to this thread lol... I will say, damn I wish I'd been into Tool at 5, or 8 or 9 - I was 15 when I first got into them, would've given me many more years of coolness, or I should say "Toolness" heh.

I saw one post in there about them not being the first to express the ideas that they do. That is the whole point though, isn't it? Of course they are not the first, but they are fantastic contemporary messengers , and you always need that. Something for the young folk to relate to, and get them thinking. Plus their take on it, is an original, and a not easily imitated one at that. A bit of an apex of what, from wha,t and to what has come before, in my opinion anyway.
06-07-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Seriously, man. You must know nothing about this band and their senses of humor.

Maynard says what he wants to, even when he's not serious.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #95
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Seriously, man. You must know nothing about this band and their senses of humor.

Maynard says what he wants to, even when he's not serious.
BlindVisionary's Avatar BlindVisionary
06-08-2006, 12:23 AM

Tool have made me unhappy with the world around me. I was once ignorant and went about my ways without thinking too much of anything. Nowdays, i feel almost arrogant but i always question myself and others. I get stressed with people who just go about their daily lives, go to work, feed, mate, sleep. Hardly anybody is as creative as they used to be in the world today, this is why i love Tool. They break the mould, they're not afraid of trying to fit into society or afraid of what people will think.

Tool have resurrected me. Saved me from a period of depression and suicidal thoughts. I am thankful for my rebirth, although living in ignorance is easier it is also much less fruitful. I get annoyed with people just existing, not contributing anything. Credit is given to those who pollute our information networks with mind numbing shit.

I think what Tool do best is enable you to view the world as they do. At this moment in my life i feel like Opiate. I hate a lot of things and most of the population. Tool have given me determination to be at peace with myself though and i'm constantly trying to open my mind by researching into things and come up with my own beliefs. I'm pretty sure everything will click in time, with a little help from more art from Tool of course.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #96
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

Tool have made me unhappy with the world around me. I was once ignorant and went about my ways without thinking too much of anything. Nowdays, i feel almost arrogant but i always question myself and others. I get stressed with people who just go about their daily lives, go to work, feed, mate, sleep. Hardly anybody is as creative as they used to be in the world today, this is why i love Tool. They break the mould, they're not afraid of trying to fit into society or afraid of what people will think.

Tool have resurrected me. Saved me from a period of depression and suicidal thoughts. I am thankful for my rebirth, although living in ignorance is easier it is also much less fruitful. I get annoyed with people just existing, not contributing anything. Credit is given to those who pollute our information networks with mind numbing shit.

I think what Tool do best is enable you to view the world as they do. At this moment in my life i feel like Opiate. I hate a lot of things and most of the population. Tool have given me determination to be at peace with myself though and i'm constantly trying to open my mind by researching into things and come up with my own beliefs. I'm pretty sure everything will click in time, with a little help from more art from Tool of course.
06-08-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic

lol...

-Æ/æ
Old 06-08-2006, 12:50 AM   #97
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic

lol...

-Æ/æ
Towelie's Avatar Towelie
06-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Why would we want to rip you a new one? You are being honest and sincere. You can't ask much more from a human. I said before, if your decisions are based on Love (as opposed to fear) and Truth, it's all good.

From what I know, there is no such thing as a Satan except in the minds of mankind (and, a few episodes of South Park). Outside of the consciousness of those who wish to believe it exists, it does not. Satan is a tool of fear control. And, to me at least, a complete and utter disgrace to me and whatever intellectual capacity that I run via two AAA batteries. :)

And, for the sake of argument, let's say Satan an Hell does exist. Didn't your God create all that is? So, wouldn't that include Satan and Hell as well?

In my reality, I allow all things to exist and be. After all, if God or whatever created me, he also gave me the ultimate gift of love called freedom. So, it's a personal duty of mine to pass the same gift to everything I can... Including your belief of Satan. But, hey, I might poke fun some days. We can't be taking ourselves that seriously, right?

Anyway, I can't speak for Tool. But, dude, that's all satire to them. It's funny. Nobody lost their life over it. It's just a word. Their humor is for those who get it and those who don't are left thinking... "wtf?" And, that's always funny because they are the type of people who actually do give a shit and are not there to harm anyone or anything. They just want to create worth and be free to do it how they please. They are a gift for those who accept them. And, that pretty much goes for everything they are involved in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguy
Thank you for sticking. Believe me, when one gives up the fight, it makes it tougher for the rest of us. I sincerely thank you and all who have faced that decision but decided to fight it out.

I'm going to stick until all of you motherfuckers that I care about decide to leave. I have your back until then. When that happens, it's ice creme truck time. My friend and I have a pact that, when you hear we were killed by a ice creme truck, it was our time to go.

Until ice creme truck do we part!

Last edited by Towelie; 06-08-2006 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #98
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:

Why would we want to rip you a new one? You are being honest and sincere. You can't ask much more from a human. I said before, if your decisions are based on Love (as opposed to fear) and Truth, it's all good.

From what I know, there is no such thing as a Satan except in the minds of mankind (and, a few episodes of South Park). Outside of the consciousness of those who wish to believe it exists, it does not. Satan is a tool of fear control. And, to me at least, a complete and utter disgrace to me and whatever intellectual capacity that I run via two AAA batteries. :)

And, for the sake of argument, let's say Satan an Hell does exist. Didn't your God create all that is? So, wouldn't that include Satan and Hell as well?

In my reality, I allow all things to exist and be. After all, if God or whatever created me, he also gave me the ultimate gift of love called freedom. So, it's a personal duty of mine to pass the same gift to everything I can... Including your belief of Satan. But, hey, I might poke fun some days. We can't be taking ourselves that seriously, right?

Anyway, I can't speak for Tool. But, dude, that's all satire to them. It's funny. Nobody lost their life over it. It's just a word. Their humor is for those who get it and those who don't are left thinking... "wtf?" And, that's always funny because they are the type of people who actually do give a shit and are not there to harm anyone or anything. They just want to create worth and be free to do it how they please. They are a gift for those who accept them. And, that pretty much goes for everything they are involved in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguy
Thank you for sticking. Believe me, when one gives up the fight, it makes it tougher for the rest of us. I sincerely thank you and all who have faced that decision but decided to fight it out.

I'm going to stick until all of you motherfuckers that I care about decide to leave. I have your back until then. When that happens, it's ice creme truck time. My friend and I have a pact that, when you hear we were killed by a ice creme truck, it was our time to go.

Until ice creme truck do we part!

Last edited by Towelie; 06-08-2006 at 12:24 PM..
Randall's Avatar Randall
06-08-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:

there was no humor in that, just alot of bullshit..........
Old 06-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #99
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

there was no humor in that, just alot of bullshit..........
dcastillo
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM

Ha, that quote about 1st there is a god and I'm not him is from that Rudy movie.....
Old 06-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #100
On Probation

Bincount™: 5981

Ha, that quote about 1st there is a god and I'm not him is from that Rudy movie.....
saut's Avatar saut
06-08-2006, 02:15 PM

I guess tool is mostly responsible for pushing me into lots of different music, which in the end took away a lot of my interest in tool. Maybe it wasn't tool's music as much as it was being a part of the community here (among other places) and taking recommendations.

All in all, tool has been a stepping stone band for me. i've had several more stepping stone bands between tool and what i listen to now, but they're definitly one of the first.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #101
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 47

I guess tool is mostly responsible for pushing me into lots of different music, which in the end took away a lot of my interest in tool. Maybe it wasn't tool's music as much as it was being a part of the community here (among other places) and taking recommendations.

All in all, tool has been a stepping stone band for me. i've had several more stepping stone bands between tool and what i listen to now, but they're definitly one of the first.
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon08
I am a Christian, and true Christianity teaches love and acceptance of everyone, and release from negative energy.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... WOW I needed a laugh today, thank you!

Quote:
if you don't agree with your priest, try another church, because there are many open-minded Christians out there (like myself), you just have to know where to look.
Yes, but the ideas of Christianity remain the same. Those preists, parishes, etc. that take it upon themselves to twist the word to fit what they believe are, in theory, creating a different interpretation and hence their own version of Christianity. If you consider yourself a particular religion then you don't get to pick and choose what you believe in. If you do then you cannot officially call yourself by your religion. No offense to you, but you may believe many Christian ideas but I don't think you can call yourself Christian if you are willing to consider and believe other options and from your last few sentences, it seems you may.

Quote:
if your conversion has turned out for the better, i.e. you feel better about your life, then i fully support it, but it seems like Christianity-bashing has simply become a fad.
Fair statment and probably true.

Quote:
Anytime you feel that you are open-minded, it's time to go further. i learned this the hard way. i used to be arrogant and condescending of others in my confidence that i was more open to new things then them, and in doing so i created much negative tension in myself. i now constantly question how open i am, and feel much more positive as a result. i question whether my point of views are the incorrect ones, and whether the ones i criticize are correct. in fact, i'm doing that right now in regard to this post, and as a result, i will be much more open and receptive to criticism.
Great statement!

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-09-2006 at 07:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 07:49 AM   #102
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
I am a Christian, and true Christianity teaches love and acceptance of everyone, and release from negative energy.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.... WOW I needed a laugh today, thank you!

Quote:
if you don't agree with your priest, try another church, because there are many open-minded Christians out there (like myself), you just have to know where to look.
Yes, but the ideas of Christianity remain the same. Those preists, parishes, etc. that take it upon themselves to twist the word to fit what they believe are, in theory, creating a different interpretation and hence their own version of Christianity. If you consider yourself a particular religion then you don't get to pick and choose what you believe in. If you do then you cannot officially call yourself by your religion. No offense to you, but you may believe many Christian ideas but I don't think you can call yourself Christian if you are willing to consider and believe other options and from your last few sentences, it seems you may.

Quote:
if your conversion has turned out for the better, i.e. you feel better about your life, then i fully support it, but it seems like Christianity-bashing has simply become a fad.
Fair statment and probably true.

Quote:
Anytime you feel that you are open-minded, it's time to go further. i learned this the hard way. i used to be arrogant and condescending of others in my confidence that i was more open to new things then them, and in doing so i created much negative tension in myself. i now constantly question how open i am, and feel much more positive as a result. i question whether my point of views are the incorrect ones, and whether the ones i criticize are correct. in fact, i'm doing that right now in regard to this post, and as a result, i will be much more open and receptive to criticism.
Great statement!

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-09-2006 at 07:54 AM..
06-09-2006, 07:52 AM

Nice posts here. I would say that TOOL was definitely one of the things that helped me along the way to finding myself and figuring out what I believe, etc. Absolutely. Everything should (and can) do this for you if you stop and think.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #103
Level 7 - Loquacious

Nice posts here. I would say that TOOL was definitely one of the things that helped me along the way to finding myself and figuring out what I believe, etc. Absolutely. Everything should (and can) do this for you if you stop and think.
Mr Silver's Avatar Mr Silver
06-09-2006, 06:49 PM

For the Christians - I agree with the basic tenets of most religions.

It is the DOGMA I fault.

Satan is a construct. So is God. Created to control you - end of story. Don't confuse the forest for the trees!! (I find myself saying that a lot around here...)

Ok, back to the thread...

TOOL reminded me who I was.

I used to think a certain way growing up and copped a lot of shit for it and without realising it I was broken and becoming part of the herd.

So depressed and angry all the time. It hurt even more.

I got into drugs not to open my mind - but to close it. Kill it. The thing that made me me was still alive and I had turned my back on it because it was "easier" to do what the TV said, what teachers said. I wanted a car. A house. A wife. A career.

I thought it would be easy.

Then I had those things taken from me. In a day. All gone.

I was already listening to TOOL at that point and was starting to awaken from a long sleep - then all these other things happened and the lessons intensified.

Then TOOL started screaming at me; the sky was blue and water was wet. The air became alive again. So did I.

I woke up from drug/media/societal abuse and screamed long and loud and I haven't stopped yet. Now I have to learn how to control all this energy that I kept capped for so long...have to learn how to "turn these leaden grudges into gold" :)

TOOL was a key to a door for me - the door to my own prison that I created with a little help from the outside world.

I love knowing I'm alive and breathing.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:49 PM   #104
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 6041

For the Christians - I agree with the basic tenets of most religions.

It is the DOGMA I fault.

Satan is a construct. So is God. Created to control you - end of story. Don't confuse the forest for the trees!! (I find myself saying that a lot around here...)

Ok, back to the thread...

TOOL reminded me who I was.

I used to think a certain way growing up and copped a lot of shit for it and without realising it I was broken and becoming part of the herd.

So depressed and angry all the time. It hurt even more.

I got into drugs not to open my mind - but to close it. Kill it. The thing that made me me was still alive and I had turned my back on it because it was "easier" to do what the TV said, what teachers said. I wanted a car. A house. A wife. A career.

I thought it would be easy.

I was already listening to TOOL at that point and was starting to awaken from a long sleep - then all these other things happened and the lessons intensified.

Then TOOL started screaming at me; the sky was blue and water was wet. The air became alive again. So did I.

I woke up from drug/media/societal abuse and screamed long and loud and I haven't stopped yet. Now I have to learn how to control all this energy that I kept capped for so long...have to learn how to "turn these leaden grudges into gold" :)

TOOL was a key to a door for me - the door to my own prison that I created with a little help from the outside world.

2and46's Avatar 2and46
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Christianity is not open minded. Their leaders have distorted everything Christ (supposedly) stood for. Christ was a false idol. The political arm of the church has further distorted, but perpetuated what they now know what is the truth. Jesus was married and had children, did not ressurrect... but his body was taken by his mother and sisters (to preserve his martyrdom) , and his "disciples" immortalized his martyrdom by speaking false scripture. Jesus had good intensions, but was not the son of GOD. Christianity has pimped his name for political reasons.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #105
Banned.

Bincount™: 6746

Christianity is not open minded. Their leaders have distorted everything Christ (supposedly) stood for. Christ was a false idol. The political arm of the church has further distorted, but perpetuated what they now know what is the truth. Jesus was married and had children, did not ressurrect... but his body was taken by his mother and sisters (to preserve his martyrdom) , and his "disciples" immortalized his martyrdom by speaking false scripture. Jesus had good intensions, but was not the son of GOD. Christianity has pimped his name for political reasons.
DonCarlito's Avatar DonCarlito
06-10-2006, 10:37 AM

Since I'm from Quebec City and haven't been raised by a Christian family/society, I'll skip the Christianity thing and go straight to how Tool affected my outlook on life.

I was 16 years old when I first heard Aenima, ten years ago. I was feeling ugly, depressed, apart from a lot of things. I could say that this time of my life was an unhappy one, to say the least. Sure, I had a lot of good friends, but no girlfriend (that point was really killing me inside) and life was just boring, I guess. Until I heard Stinkfist.

When I heard that song, it seemed to me that a whole new world was opening right in front of me. The music was so different than what I was listening to (except for Genesis, I still love that band). And the lyrics!!! I can honestly say that Tool was the first band to which I could really relate to, in terms of lyrics.

After buying and listening to the album for a whole year and a half every day (no kidding, I really did that) I knew I found the thing I was serching for. A group that I could love and listen for years to come.

Because of this group, I learned that being different was all right. Because of this group, I learned to accept myself for what I am. Tool made my living hell a better place to be. Tool helped me survive that muddy hell that being 16 years old is all about. Tool helped me grow and become more peaceful with myself.

P.S. I know there's a lot of mistake in my post. I usually speak and write French :P

Almost forgot: I know Bill Hicks from Tool :)
Old 06-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #106
Level 4 - Thinker

Since I'm from Quebec City and haven't been raised by a Christian family/society, I'll skip the Christianity thing and go straight to how Tool affected my outlook on life.

I was 16 years old when I first heard Aenima, ten years ago. I was feeling ugly, depressed, apart from a lot of things. I could say that this time of my life was an unhappy one, to say the least. Sure, I had a lot of good friends, but no girlfriend (that point was really killing me inside) and life was just boring, I guess. Until I heard Stinkfist.

When I heard that song, it seemed to me that a whole new world was opening right in front of me. The music was so different than what I was listening to (except for Genesis, I still love that band). And the lyrics!!! I can honestly say that Tool was the first band to which I could really relate to, in terms of lyrics.

After buying and listening to the album for a whole year and a half every day (no kidding, I really did that) I knew I found the thing I was serching for. A group that I could love and listen for years to come.

Because of this group, I learned that being different was all right. Because of this group, I learned to accept myself for what I am. Tool made my living hell a better place to be. Tool helped me survive that muddy hell that being 16 years old is all about. Tool helped me grow and become more peaceful with myself.

P.S. I know there's a lot of mistake in my post. I usually speak and write French :P

Almost forgot: I know Bill Hicks from Tool :)
06-11-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Silver

Wow. Wherever you are Mr Silver, you have my respect and I've got your back. I love knowing you're alive and breathing as well.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #107
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Silver

Wow. Wherever you are Mr Silver, you have my respect and I've got your back. I love knowing you're alive and breathing as well.
Mr Silver's Avatar Mr Silver
06-12-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie
Thanks

Wanna get high? ;)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #108
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 6041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towelie
Thanks

Wanna get high? ;)
neotoma
06-13-2006, 02:01 AM

I was 12 years old when I first picked up AENIMA at a Target store in St. Cloud, Minnesota…I believe I had heard one of their songs on the airwaves; probably “Sober,” since my mind was very open to the radio back then. I didn’t really understand Tool too much back then, but I knew that I had found something that felt comfortable to me like a new companion would…and with all the shit we go through as pre-teens, you just need it. Unlike many other musical acts over my teenage years this band continued to grow and stood the test of time…In all honesty, I can’t think of a day that I haven’t listened to one of their albums (hell, I even have the Cam Deleon eye tattooed on the small of my back). Tool has done more than just represent outstanding music that ebbs and flows like the ocean, pounding my eardrums with irregular rhythms in odd time. They have influenced my person and opened my mind to many faculties of thought, be it religion, mysticism, politics, philosophy, etc. They opened my interest to Carl Jung and his collected works about the human psyche. I purchased a Joni Mitchell album for the first time because of her striking influence in Maynard’s vocal phrasing. I got into Meshuggah through Tool, Timothy Leary, Portishead, Tori Amos, Alex Gray…to many more to name!!! Not to mention all of the bands I have sang for have definitely been standardized/compared to one of the greatest lyricists/vocalists of my generation. There is no other working band out there creating art like this besides the Mars Volta, or the late Sunny Day Real Estate.
Tool has definitely changed my outlook on life and now, at 22…I’m still searching.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #109
Level 2 - Poster

I was 12 years old when I first picked up AENIMA at a Target store in St. Cloud, Minnesota…I believe I had heard one of their songs on the airwaves; probably “Sober,” since my mind was very open to the radio back then. I didn’t really understand Tool too much back then, but I knew that I had found something that felt comfortable to me like a new companion would…and with all the shit we go through as pre-teens, you just need it. Unlike many other musical acts over my teenage years this band continued to grow and stood the test of time…In all honesty, I can’t think of a day that I haven’t listened to one of their albums (hell, I even have the Cam Deleon eye tattooed on the small of my back). Tool has done more than just represent outstanding music that ebbs and flows like the ocean, pounding my eardrums with irregular rhythms in odd time. They have influenced my person and opened my mind to many faculties of thought, be it religion, mysticism, politics, philosophy, etc. They opened my interest to Carl Jung and his collected works about the human psyche. I purchased a Joni Mitchell album for the first time because of her striking influence in Maynard’s vocal phrasing. I got into Meshuggah through Tool, Timothy Leary, Portishead, Tori Amos, Alex Gray…to many more to name!!! Not to mention all of the bands I have sang for have definitely been standardized/compared to one of the greatest lyricists/vocalists of my generation. There is no other working band out there creating art like this besides the Mars Volta, or the late Sunny Day Real Estate.
Tool has definitely changed my outlook on life and now, at 22…I’m still searching.
offspring's Avatar offspring
06-13-2006, 02:25 AM

I always tend to lie to myself. It's not that I'm stupid or something but very often I try to convince myself of something from which I know it's not true, just to avoid any kind of trouble.
But Tool is like the most honest band of the world, in every way, and they can make you see things so clearly! The lyrics combined with the deep going music which is able to touch you somewhere nothing else can, make you concentrate on the important things, it can bring up feelings from deep inside and your emotions ride rollercoaster. Not every song can achive this, but some do (e.g Right In Two).

They didn't change me in anything directly, but they often helped me find a solution in difficult life problems.
Besides, I think that the music they make is adaptable to your feelings, so you can listen to it whenever you feel like your emotions need to be "caressed".
Old 06-13-2006, 02:25 AM   #110
Level 3 - Talker

I always tend to lie to myself. It's not that I'm stupid or something but very often I try to convince myself of something from which I know it's not true, just to avoid any kind of trouble.
But Tool is like the most honest band of the world, in every way, and they can make you see things so clearly! The lyrics combined with the deep going music which is able to touch you somewhere nothing else can, make you concentrate on the important things, it can bring up feelings from deep inside and your emotions ride rollercoaster. Not every song can achive this, but some do (e.g Right In Two).

They didn't change me in anything directly, but they often helped me find a solution in difficult life problems.
Besides, I think that the music they make is adaptable to your feelings, so you can listen to it whenever you feel like your emotions need to be "caressed".
06-13-2006, 03:02 AM

I've led a fairly sheltered life, with little of the pain, depression or anger that some of you guys have felt, so I guess my 'transformation' has not been as drastic as yours, but Tool have had an influence nonetheless.

I was brought up in a pretty much conservative Christian household. I was pretty 'right-wing' as a teen, and it wasn't until I went to university that I began to open myself up to some truly new ideas beyond free market capitalism and Christian monotheism. I was directed towards the philosophies of Alan Watts, who was a scholar of eastern philosophy about midway through the 20th century. He said some pretty profound things which spoke to me. I'd always believed in the Christian God, but my relationship with Him was always a monologue. I would talk to Him, but get no reply, no dialogue. I guess I just got fed up with having blind faith in nothing.

Anyway, these philosophies I was reading and listening to were pretty interesting. and a friend introduced me to Tool properly (I hated Tool through high school). From knowing what I knew from Alan Watts, I managed to assemble the lyrical puzzles of Tool together. I guess they just kinda confirmed for me what I had read and taken on board from other philosophers, and introduced me to new spiritual/psychological/political ideas.

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy

Last edited by bionic_anchovy; 06-13-2006 at 03:04 AM..
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 AM   #111
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

I've led a fairly sheltered life, with little of the pain, depression or anger that some of you guys have felt, so I guess my 'transformation' has not been as drastic as yours, but Tool have had an influence nonetheless.

I was brought up in a pretty much conservative Christian household. I was pretty 'right-wing' as a teen, and it wasn't until I went to university that I began to open myself up to some truly new ideas beyond free market capitalism and Christian monotheism. I was directed towards the philosophies of Alan Watts, who was a scholar of eastern philosophy about midway through the 20th century. He said some pretty profound things which spoke to me. I'd always believed in the Christian God, but my relationship with Him was always a monologue. I would talk to Him, but get no reply, no dialogue. I guess I just got fed up with having blind faith in nothing.

Anyway, these philosophies I was reading and listening to were pretty interesting. and a friend introduced me to Tool properly (I hated Tool through high school). From knowing what I knew from Alan Watts, I managed to assemble the lyrical puzzles of Tool together. I guess they just kinda confirmed for me what I had read and taken on board from other philosophers, and introduced me to new spiritual/psychological/political ideas.

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy

Last edited by bionic_anchovy; 06-13-2006 at 03:04 AM..
BlanketEffect's Avatar BlanketEffect
06-13-2006, 08:04 AM

You know, ultimately, what makes me so happy about this thread, is that aside from a single poster that sawa negative light about a Tool message everyone here implies more or less that Tool has enhanced or in some way contributed to the improvement of their realities.

It almost brings me to tears... to know that I'm not alone in this and I'm not some stupid obsessed fan that reads too much into these things. Thank you all for confirming my feelings about the divinity of this band. Truly, like many tools that have come before them that had a message and the charisma to spread it, they have enhanced countless lives and as such, improved, even if on a small scale, the whole of existance by spreading the ultimate truth. Love.

(and before you criticize my use of 'divinity' think about the context it was used in)

Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 AM   #112
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 16

You know, ultimately, what makes me so happy about this thread, is that aside from a single poster that sawa negative light about a Tool message everyone here implies more or less that Tool has enhanced or in some way contributed to the improvement of their realities.

It almost brings me to tears... to know that I'm not alone in this and I'm not some stupid obsessed fan that reads too much into these things. Thank you all for confirming my feelings about the divinity of this band. Truly, like many tools that have come before them that had a message and the charisma to spread it, they have enhanced countless lives and as such, improved, even if on a small scale, the whole of existance by spreading the ultimate truth. Love.

(and before you criticize my use of 'divinity' think about the context it was used in)

06-13-2006, 09:04 AM

I posted on here prior but didn’t have the time to really elaborate. I’m feeling inspired…

Within the last 2 years I have been experiencing chronic pain all over my body. I have been to 6-8 doctors and yet no one can give me an explanation as to why. They just say try exercise (which I do) and take pain pills (which I have issue with) According to science, there is nothing “wrong” with me, yet I hurt so bad by the end of the day that I am in tears. I am generally a pretty happy person, I don’t wallow in my own sadness, I am reflective, I am motivated… but this pain has really been getting in my head and feels like a giant cloud of smoke suffocating me. On my way home from work I blast Parabol & Parabola, The Patient, Reflection, and Gravity (APC) as example. I even have the lyrics on my computer screen wallpaper as a reminder. Listening to these songs are sometimes the only thing that helps me to stay strong, to not break into tears everyday, to have faith that I can get through this, that I can handle it.

The combination of the chronic pain, TOOL lyrics, a wise doctor and a couple of good books by Dr. Sarno, I have really been inspired to take the time to explore my spirituality. While I know my pain is real, I accept that some of it may be a result of subconscious anger or anxiety. I have been looking within myself to find possible causes of these subconscious feelings. TOOL helped me realize that my doubts in my religion/faith are a big part of what was causing subconscious anxiety. I learned to “open my third eye” (not through drugs though) and get in touch with the world beyond my preconceived notions, beyond what I have been told, what was forced on me, what society tells me. Beyond the surface of the conscious mind. I was finally able to accept my attitude about religion without the guilt that Catholicism burned into me for 27 years. I felt myself rising above and out of the fog that religion puts around you. I am now comforted and confident, for the first time, with where I am spiritually and much of that was because of TOOL. The feeling is SO LIBERATING.

I finally am on the right path. TOOL has helped me to learn how to be patient on this path. I know that this path will never end, that I will always be on it. I am not free of pain, but I may never be. At this point I have to learn how to manage/deal with it and TOOL plays an important role in this.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-13-2006 at 09:14 AM..
Old 06-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #113
Level 7 - Loquacious

I posted on here prior but didn’t have the time to really elaborate. I’m feeling inspired…

Within the last 2 years I have been experiencing chronic pain all over my body. I have been to 6-8 doctors and yet no one can give me an explanation as to why. They just say try exercise (which I do) and take pain pills (which I have issue with) According to science, there is nothing “wrong” with me, yet I hurt so bad by the end of the day that I am in tears. I am generally a pretty happy person, I don’t wallow in my own sadness, I am reflective, I am motivated… but this pain has really been getting in my head and feels like a giant cloud of smoke suffocating me. On my way home from work I blast Parabol & Parabola, The Patient, Reflection, and Gravity (APC) as example. I even have the lyrics on my computer screen wallpaper as a reminder. Listening to these songs are sometimes the only thing that helps me to stay strong, to not break into tears everyday, to have faith that I can get through this, that I can handle it.

The combination of the chronic pain, TOOL lyrics, a wise doctor and a couple of good books by Dr. Sarno, I have really been inspired to take the time to explore my spirituality. While I know my pain is real, I accept that some of it may be a result of subconscious anger or anxiety. I have been looking within myself to find possible causes of these subconscious feelings. TOOL helped me realize that my doubts in my religion/faith are a big part of what was causing subconscious anxiety. I learned to “open my third eye” (not through drugs though) and get in touch with the world beyond my preconceived notions, beyond what I have been told, what was forced on me, what society tells me. Beyond the surface of the conscious mind. I was finally able to accept my attitude about religion without the guilt that Catholicism burned into me for 27 years. I felt myself rising above and out of the fog that religion puts around you. I am now comforted and confident, for the first time, with where I am spiritually and much of that was because of TOOL. The feeling is SO LIBERATING.

I finally am on the right path. TOOL has helped me to learn how to be patient on this path. I know that this path will never end, that I will always be on it. I am not free of pain, but I may never be. At this point I have to learn how to manage/deal with it and TOOL plays an important role in this.

Last edited by bellamadia; 06-13-2006 at 09:14 AM..
Panesthesia
06-13-2006, 12:37 PM

If you're asking if Tool have made me into an arty University-going, up-myself, against the man, over analysing little prick. Then no. They did. But not now.

Tool have however made me appreciate the process and ideals of free thought. However Maynard himself says it best in one of my favourite tracks by them. Over thinking, over analysing seperates the body from the mind.

I think a large percentage of the Tool fanbase would do well to remember that.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #114
Level 4 - Thinker

If you're asking if Tool have made me into an arty University-going, up-myself, against the man, over analysing little prick. Then no. They did. But not now.

Tool have however made me appreciate the process and ideals of free thought. However Maynard himself says it best in one of my favourite tracks by them. Over thinking, over analysing seperates the body from the mind.

I think a large percentage of the Tool fanbase would do well to remember that.
06-13-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:

He trashes a lot of people when he makes jokes or takes a position on something, don't take it so personally. If you are true to yourself and your beliefs then that's all that matters. Look how Maynard came to view his mother... while he didn't agree with her beliefs, he respected her for her ability to have blind faith and to live true to herself.

And for the record, Maynard is not a Satan worshiper, he's merely commenting on how we overuse name of God (ie. in thank you speaches) so much that it no longer bears any meaning.... therefore, you might as well say Satan in place of God
Old 06-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #115
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

He trashes a lot of people when he makes jokes or takes a position on something, don't take it so personally. If you are true to yourself and your beliefs then that's all that matters. Look how Maynard came to view his mother... while he didn't agree with her beliefs, he respected her for her ability to have blind faith and to live true to herself.

And for the record, Maynard is not a Satan worshiper, he's merely commenting on how we overuse name of God (ie. in thank you speaches) so much that it no longer bears any meaning.... therefore, you might as well say Satan in place of God
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
06-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia

Well, I don't know if you'll ever be free of the physical pain that haunts you, (and I certainly hope you will), but of the pain of existence you can never run from. It's so ironic, Tool says, "Pain is an illusion", while Live says, "Pain lies on the riverside, so put your feet, head, soul in the water; join me for a swim tonite!!!"

I love them both.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #116
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia

Well, I don't know if you'll ever be free of the physical pain that haunts you, (and I certainly hope you will), but of the pain of existence you can never run from. It's so ironic, Tool says, "Pain is an illusion", while Live says, "Pain lies on the riverside, so put your feet, head, soul in the water; join me for a swim tonite!!!"

I love them both.
06-14-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota

I love them both.
That is a nice quote. (and thanks for the good wishes)
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 AM   #117
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I love them both.
That is a nice quote. (and thanks for the good wishes)
HelenA's Avatar HelenA
06-24-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Tool, I now dance salsa. Seriously. This is not a joke.
I would really like to hear more about this.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #118
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1989

Quote:
Thanks to Tool, I now dance salsa. Seriously. This is not a joke.
I would really like to hear more about this.
ATARI's Avatar ATARI
06-24-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA
I would really like to see videos about this.
Fixed
Old 06-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #119
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenA
I would really like to see videos about this.
Fixed
06-24-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceisRight

Good for you. If half the hypocrites who called themselves Christian swere like you, I truly believe the world would be a MUCH better place.

Peace and love.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #120
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceisRight

Good for you. If half the hypocrites who called themselves Christian swere like you, I truly believe the world would be a MUCH better place.

Peace and love.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply