opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/02 - Wilkes-Barre, PA - Wachovia Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry85 View Post
i still cant believe no one else caught the fucking lil jon impression in stinkfist.......maynard was building up his scream for the "bridge" section "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! OKAY!!!!!!!!!!" you know from the chappell show?........just thought it was odd that no one else posted bout that.
my friend caught this as well. but i think he said Yeaaaaaaaaaa instead of WHAT? but yea, it made us chuckle. I had fantastic seats, even if i had to hobble on crutches and go down the steps slowly! stupid broken leg :( I saw Tool in 2001 in this arena and sound wise, it sounded better then. I saw APC in Wachovia 2 years ago and nothing was thrown at them, so whoever said that is full of shit. this time around it was just too loud. I saw NIN in here last fall and it was decent sounding as well. this was by far the loudest show out of the 4. BUT, i still enjoyed it and it made my year. When you sit back and think about how old these guys are, (danny's close to 45 i think) we might not get to experience this again. Yes, i saw security was very tight, tightest i've seen at a concert in this arena, but i'm sure a lot of that had to do with tool's requests. overall, i'm very glad i got to experience this show, even if i had to sit down most of the time, again, refer to the broken leg part :P . the highlight of the night, was the fellas in front of me, they would cheer everytime a "bigger" (no offense, i'm large myself) guy would walk by wearing a "i beat anorexia" t-shirt. the guys in front of me would cheer and clap. it was fuckin funny.
I enjoyed ISIS, they are very talented and do have their own sound. it was nice listening to it.

overral, good, fun show!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #42
Hym
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunksx34 View Post
IMHO, Adam and Justin create more depth and texture with one guitar and one bass than ISIS does with 3 guitarists and a bass. More sound doesn't mean more depth or texture.
Actually, in ISIS's case, it does. They have the low end of the bass, the high end of one guitar, a guitar in the middle and, if needed, another guitar adding more texture.

Quote:
Adam and Justin are incredible because they can do more with less.
I don't think they do more, although most of the time they don't need to, but as far as the music goes, ISIS have more depth in their songs because TOOL don't really have any grasp of harmony.

Quote:
I've now seen ISIS 3 times this year before Tool shows, and while I think they are a solid band, Tool is much much better in every respect.
I disagree. The only thing that TOOL have over ISIS is Maynard's voice, but even then Aaron Turner puts so much more emotion into his voice.

Quote:
Annhilate Tool musically?...maybe you should rethink that...
No. Danny and Justin are better musicians than Aaron Harris and Jeff, but ISIS's rhythm section is much better. Adam has a very unique style, but the twin harmonies of Aaron Turner and Michael are better. Then you have Cliff who is great at both guitar, keyboards and electronics.

TOOL are still my favourite band, but ISIS are better songwriters. Okay, 'annihilate' is a little strong, but when I look objectively I think ISIS are superior.

One more thing I must add is that if you don't like ISIS, fine, just don't say something ridiculous like they repeat riffs for too long (Triad?).
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

3rd tool show.
I thought they were unbelievable once again. Great show. My wife and I were 15 feet from Justin the entire show:)! A-F took over the audience. I also heard the lil' John thing. Pretty funny. Can't wait to see where they will tour in 2007.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #44
there's a cloud
but the water remains calm

Bincount™: 3180

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsazz View Post
I had fantastic seats, even if i had to hobble on crutches and go down the steps slowly! stupid broken leg :(
I saw you there unless there was another guy on crutches walking around there
Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #45
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 107

i think i know why Maynard dropped the little john reference at the show. When APC came to the wachovia a few years ago, it was around the time of the Rick James and Lil' Jon skits from Chapelle, and alot of people at the APC show were screaming 'YEAH..OK!'... There was this one kid who's voice stood out particulary loud with his "YEAHH..OKs".. So i think that made an impression on Maynard in reference to the Wilkes Barre arena. It was an amazing show.. my first time seeing Tool... And to experience it near my home town was even more of a thrill. The overall atmosphere was good.. alot of Tool fans gathered in one place. I felt that a good majority of the audience was responsive, exspecially after wings for marie.. the whole lighter thing... even Justin participated .. That moment felt soo good. As people said that it wasnt as loud or as much as a responsive of an audience that they witnessed at the other shows... they may be right, but for the amount of seating that was empty.. the true fans that were in the audience really let them know that they were there. My friend snuck some acid in with him.. he had two hits and was gonna eat them but both only ended up taking one since he was the designated driver. I also brought my girlfriend to the show.. her first rock concert ever... She is from Japan so i have been planning on bringing her to this show for quite sometime now.. it is my way to show her a good experience here in America. So if anyone remember seeing a cute innocent Japanese girl in the Tool hoodie..holding her boyfriends hand.. then that was probally us.. I was seated in like the 4th row back from the front of the back rear seating (seating directly behind the floor). Stood up and danced the whole time.. w/ my buddy who was tripping his face off. His only comment during the show was during the laser lighting which he replied was 'astonishing while tripping'.. As others said , the sound could have been better, and lyrics would be hard to dechiper if you werent already fimilar with them. But Tool defently had the energy that i exspected and i felt every bit of it.

Also meet some really cool people there.. one guy in particular who became my like my new bestfriend at like a few minutes of conversating... the power of having something in common..exspecially tool knowledge.. gotta love it
Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #46
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalgirl View Post
I saw you there unless there was another guy on crutches walking around there
probably me! i was in section 103. the usher was kind enough to ask me if i wanted to sit up on top, but i was like, fuck that i'm goin to row F! so much closer :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #47
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Awsome show the other night... after wings for marie like half of the whole place lite up their lights and then the band sat down on the front of the stage. Justin then lite up his lighter and held it up w/ everyone else... it was such an awsome feeling to experience. Maynard didnt say too much, but was just great to actually see the 'gents. Went with one of my best friends, who snuck in with two hits of acid in and then ate one after i nearly begged him not to (he was designate driver..lol)..i also brought my girlfriend. It was her first concert ever and her first real experience of rock music in America. She is from Japan... i've been with her for two year and traveled to her country for two weeks.. This was my plan to show her some emotion and art of America. She may have showed me alot in Tokyo, but i can just tell she enjoyed the concert.. Nothing better than a Tool show.. I meet a bunch of Tool fans who became like my new best friends in just minutes... just chatting about the 'gents and talking alittle music knowledge was a great time. Bought and drank two beers and then was given two more beers from a stranger because someone else moved from their seat and left them there... then beer ontop of two vicks and alil' herb.. shared by the neighboring tool fan.. really spiced up my night..

couldnt help but to shred a few tears during the whole whole performance.. and couldnt keep myself still.. dancing in sych w/ my friend Justin Chancellor who cant help but keep one hell of a groove on when he is on stage..

Lost Keys sounded incredible...
and also bought the Tool poster that was for sale ($25) but its a bigger sized poster but it was worth it.
Incredible night and my tripping friend drove home like a champ. Seriously though he tripped his face off during the show.. but drove 1hr home flawlessly .. i dont know how he does that... cause i sure couldnt... i do enjoy tripping on those nice camping summer nights... but damn to be around that many people at the show and all .. and to drive home.. it was impressive enough just to witness that.

>_<
Old 10-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #48
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by talibad View Post
lol i saw you outside and inside and i have to ask where the fuck did you get that jacket? it seriously stood out alot, i had green shorts on and an alex grey long sleeve
Yo man, I am still stoked from the show after two days! Nice afterglow...
Hey! I'm glad you like our invention! If you want to get one or just know more then go to our website at www.R3concepts.com and check it and the other stuff out. But hey bro how about that show? After all those months of touring...all that power!!! Still monster energy and vitality! Gotta love dat shit...but you know? Don't you? HOLY FUCKING SHIT! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

But I forgot my pen!!!
Wheeeellll you know...

Jimmy C
At R3concepts
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertai View Post
Hey Jimmy C .. me and my girlfriend got a business card off you in the parking lot.. I was the Tool fan that said nice coat :)

awsome show.. in class now, but will post some sort of a review later..
Thanks! I hope to see you again soon at another show...Can't remember what they said! Ya know!!! Fucking typical...should remember you and her since i love asian girls...guess I shit the bed again!

Jimmy C
at R3concepts.com
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #50
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show...I was in Floor 5 row K (Seats 1&2). So my seats were great. 2 chicks came out of nowhere and started grinding on me and my brother. The one girl grinded on me the whole show. Thanks to the guys behind me who smoked a fatty during "The Pot" it elevated my previous high...
Easy to get in and out...security wasn't that bad. Normal stuff for a concert.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 AM   #51
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I came all the way from Erie, PA to see this show. It was the 4th time I had seen Tool and my girlfriend's first. Overall, the band was extremely tight and from what I could hear (very little) Maynard was as on as I had ever seen him. Unfortunately, if I had known how terrible the sound was going to be at Wachovia, I would have chosen a different time and place to see my favorite band perform. My section seemed to be plagued by a high pitched whine of reverberation so piercing and distracting that at times I considered leaving the show. On top of that, by the time the sound got from the stage to our seats, it was reduced to a jumbled mess of frequencies that could only be deciphered by those familiar with the songs. I left the show deaf, irritated, and disappointed to say the least. I suppose it was pretty cool to see the new songs live. I think the highlight of the show was Adam's solo during Jambi. Something about seeing Maynard pretend to ride a bull beside Adam growling into a talkbox made me laugh for joy.

Maybe my standards are too high. I don't think I will ever see a better show from any band than Madison Square Garden in 2002 when they played the Salival version of Pushit. Shit blew my mind.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #52
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Jimmy C i just looked over your site and couldnt find the Lateralus lite up jacket :(

if you can post a picture and link it here, that would be great..thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #53
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my first time posting, but not my first time here. I have enjoyed reading comments and opinions on this site for years. I felt compelled to write in after seeing the Wilkes-Barre show. This was my 5th Tool show and they have never let me down to date. The material off of the new albulm was fantastic, all of them! However Jambi had to take the cake for me, that song is like nothing else! Lets see another band ever create something as deep and heartfelt as that song. Everything off of Aenema was great too, especially hearing Aenema itself for the first time live. JUST FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even a bad Tool show ( if there is such a thing?) would be ten times more gratifying than seeing a good show by another band. The depth that Tool brings to music is just simply outstanding. The stage set up and lighting was something else too. How anyone could have a bad experience at a Tool show is WAY beyond me.

Thanks again Tool...... I look forward to the next 5 shows that I will attend.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #54
Level 1 - Lurker

Found local newspaper reviews of the show

This ripped the arena and security:
http://www.ecweekend.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17284613&BRD=2228&PAG=461&dept_id= 560916&rfi=6

This one has incorrect setlist:
http://citizensvoice.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=17261708&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id =455154&rfi=8
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10kmaniac View Post
Found local newspaper reviews of the show

This ripped the arena and security:
http://www.ecweekend.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17284613&BRD=2228&PAG=461&dept_id= 560916&rfi=6

This one has incorrect setlist:
http://citizensvoice.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=17261708&BRD=2259&PAG=461&dept_id =455154&rfi=8
Thanks for the read. I went with my friend who is new to Tool, and he was completely blown away. Myself, having seen them 8 times over the span of 10 years, was a little less excited. Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels like this show, compared to others, was lacking.

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #56
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
Thanks for the read. I went with my friend who is new to Tool, and he was completely blown away. Myself, having seen them 8 times over the span of 10 years, was a little less excited. Nice to see I'm not the only one who feels like this show, compared to others, was lacking.
I actually found a 40 year old lady i work with knows the band and was back stage the whole show. She is best friends with the person who provides there instruments or something I dont know all the details. But she said that Tool actually hates playing this venue because the sound quality is terrible. Apparently they said the sound bounces around the arena to much.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #57
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 3rd time seeing Tool and it was the best show of them overall. I even rate this higher than the show in Binghamton in which they played "Third Eye", "H.", and started the show off with "Cold and Ugly", and even Maynard sang "Suspicious Minds" (Caught in a trap/ Can't walk out/ 'Cause I love you too much baby) by Elvis during the middle of "Stinkfist". It was a great feeling leaving a show and not being all sweaty because dudes are rubbing up against you the whole night. I didn't mind that there was no talking in between songs because you're there to see the band play their music not talk the whole night. "10,000 Days" was probably the most emotional song I have ever heard a band do. Everything else was great. Amazing visuals. Came home from this show and bought tickets for Uniondale the next day.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

First Tool concert;
approximately 75 concerts lifetime since 1979;
best show seen -Tool 2006!
only show remotely close was Yes in the round in early eighties.
Tool is the best rock band since Floyd/Zeppelin- we should all feel priveleged to witness them as another phenomenon like this will likely not be around for decades to come.
Great show band, Tool fan til I die!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
I actually found a 40 year old lady i work with knows the band and was back stage the whole show. She is best friends with the person who provides there instruments or something I dont know all the details. But she said that Tool actually hates playing this venue because the sound quality is terrible. Apparently they said the sound bounces around the arena to much.

I can see that being the case. In the 90's they would come to Vegas and always get stuck at the Huntridge...for those who don't know it is now shut down, but what a dump. Anyway, back then they were a little more open to doing interviews they asked MJK what he thought about playing Vegas? His reply, "They always put us in that shit venue."

What I wouldn't do for an In-N-Out Burger....
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarosummability View Post
This was my 3rd time seeing Tool and it was the best show of them overall. I even rate this higher than the show in Binghamton in which they played "Third Eye", "H.", and started the show off with "Cold and Ugly", and even Maynard sang "Suspicious Minds" (Caught in a trap/ Can't walk out/ 'Cause I love you too much baby) by Elvis during the middle of "Stinkfist". It was a great feeling leaving a show and not being all sweaty because dudes are rubbing up against you the whole night. I didn't mind that there was no talking in between songs because you're there to see the band play their music not talk the whole night. "10,000 Days" was probably the most emotional song I have ever heard a band do. Everything else was great. Amazing visuals. Came home from this show and bought tickets for Uniondale the next day.
I have been to a couple TOOL shows with a friend who keeps pointing out that Elvis thing in Stinkfist. All this time i thought he was nuts because I never catch it. Glad some one else said something about it because now I think you're both nuts...joking, but seriously, if anyone has a live copy of that song where Maynard/Adam tease into suspicious minds I'd like to get my hands on it.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: