opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
(Band Chill Time)
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

Same as last show. Despite obvous attempts to save his voice Maynard was as enjoyable as ever. Schism seemed a tad slower than usual and the groove created was even more hypnotic. Danny never disappoints. Great Show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

First Tool show....I cannot sum up any words at this time to describe it....We'll just say the boys were on tonight
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

I caught a drumstick from danny carey at end of the show, knowing it was going to hit me perfect! After I see Joe taking down th set, so I ask him to get me a stick, he tosses two at me, I loose one FUCK! But truely, everything was destiny, I got these tickets by chance and I have tried so hard to get one for years.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ok...1st off for the second time in my life maynard walked 5 ft in front of me...and no one noticed!!! 2nd he was very very happy....fuckin amazing...danny is a fuckin monster!! adam and justin fuckin rocked!! my second tool show...the girl behind me had a jay..she also had perfect timing!! i cant even really express in words how fuckin spectacular it was...something about george bush...everyone booed,of course,and then he said i wouldnt invite that asshole! something about its a great night, comin back in 2008, and lasers were great, and the lighters was cool;..to recap the night..AMAZING...now i will smoke my jay and go to sleep...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

THe show was so awesome - the band never dissapoints!

SO great to see the band hanging out together, and the way they circle at the end of the show makes me smile...

Maynard had some good ones, but Ididn't hear them alll

"Welcome to the New World Order"
"Pittsburgh was louder" - I don't think so, DC was pretty loud

Good crowd, great set list, and all four of them, Danny, Maynard, Adam, & Justin all masters of their crafts - I just hope they keep making music, and I hope they come back after the international leg...
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

1 - 10,000 Days CD ($14.99)
2 - Tool Tickets at the Verizon Center ($225.00)
Taking my 10 year old daughter to her first Tool concert....Priceless!!

Outstanding show! Section 101, Row T, Seats 13 & 14

I saw Tool in Chicago back in May during their "warm-up" tour and while that setting was a bit more intimate, the music was a bit overwhelming for Maynard's vocals. Tonite's show was spot-on, and WAY better in the sound category. Everything seemed crystal clear to me.

While one would peg a particular song as the highlight of their evening, my highlight comes from the mere fact that i spent the evening with my 10 year old daughter jamming to the best band on the face of the planet. This was her first show (my second), and she LOVED the show. She can't wait to see them again, and i can't wait to take her.

She loves Vicarious, The Pot, Stinkfist, and of course, 10,000 Days. I had hoped to hear 10,000 Days back in May, but had to settle for Right In Two instead. If i had gone the whole evening tonite only to hear 10,000 Days, then i would have been happy. By far, one of the best Tool songs.

The band seemed to be clicking very well tonite; Adam goofed here and there, but hey, he's only human. Maynard is a hoot, Justin is madness, and Danny is a beast!

Thank you DC for behaving yourselves....and thank you Security Guards for being non-existent tonite; allowing me to take lots of pics and video.

Can't wait to see 'em next time around.

God damn, shit the bed!!

Last edited by '][' [[]] [[]] ][_; 09-30-2006 at 10:05 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

"Pittsburgh was louder"

DC was pretty fuckin loud.

Great show. Both parts of 10,000 days (the song) blew my mind, especially with those lasers. The energy when they played Lateralus was amazing, also. When everyone had their lighters out, I could just tell everybody enjoyed it and nobody was dissappointed.

ISIS was alright. Their songs sounded like drawn out Reflection covers. But I respect them a lot considering their opening up for probably their favorite band.

Overall it was just a great show and can't wait 'till they come back
Old 09-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

First time seeing them since late philly '02 and it was nice to have them back!
d.c. crowd was good, lots of energy and very respectful. crowded as hell too, probably close to a sellout. setlist was what it was but I wasn't complaining (well, not really) sure more songs off undertow or Ænima would have been nice but I wanted to hear the 10,000 days songs up close and personal. the sound in my section was pretty shitty, not gonna lie. everything seemed way too up in the mix so it was almost to the point where I could barely make out what was going on at times. as others have said, mjk was in jovial spirits although he didn't really talk that much. the "tool 2008!" thing was pretty funny. and who the hell is junior? justin? I was too far away to really make out what was going on there. the lasers do actually add a lot to the mood of the latter songs. I don't really agree with the placement of vicarious after lateralus though. anyone with me? overall I'd give the show a 7.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
. I don't really agree with the placement of vicarious after lateralus though. anyone with me? overall I'd give the show a 7.
I really enjoyed hearing vicarious in there. Sounded way better live than I expected it too. I think it would've been just as good before Lateralus too though. Did any of them talk to fans after the show? They did back in May but I didn't feel like staying after.

By the way, fuck DC traffic. I don't understand how people can drive down there with running 3 redlights (like we did)
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7

COuldn't here the Justin too well; manard either. Overall, it was good.
Adam was too loud, and the bass drums were too loud.

Some little guy in front of me in section 105 s was doing a really annoying drunkin monkey jive. Some dude next to me gave me a cigarete during the "lighter" part of the show. THe people in 105, were, for the most part, chilled out. Some people didn't even stand.
I enjoyed Wings for Marie the most, even though Justin was drowned by the bass drum and adam's scraping (which can be annoying at times, with the incessant repetition of dull notes and heartless meanderings). I'm assuming him playing this way is intentional, but why? There is a time and place for artsy holding of notes for lengthened time periods.

Lateralus was good.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I live in Heaven, but I'm on a vacation without my passport to get back.
Bincount™: 7

isis was awesome, even with an unclear guitar sound
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Pretty good show, my first one in fact:

Isis was interesting: seemed a mix of Tool and Opeth.

Was it just me, or did they seem to play the first few songs slower than usual? I didn't get into it as much as I would have liked until Wings for Marie, but then I was also sitting in the upper concourse. I used binoculars, but it feels too much like watching a concert video rather than the actual thing with the damn thing shaking in front of your eyes. Midway through I put it down, only picking it up to see Danny's wicked fills and to check too see if I play the chorus to Vicarious correctly (I'm fairly confident I do now).

Special Effects-
Some very interesting choices for special effects, especially the use of the lasers. During Wings when they were introduced, they very clearly invoked the idea of shining a light up to heaven. Then, they took the lasers and turned them into a symbol for the wings, twisting and turning their way up the the Maker. During Vicarious, the lasers seemed to stab out and touch the audience, hinting at the sort of universal guilt that the song describes. This culminated in an array that pointed to/over the entirety of the crowd. The visual displays were quite effective too. Not too showy, not too stagnant, just appropriate and profound.

Unfortunately, Tool does have a few fans who I can only describe as "douchebags." You know them, the ones who drink shitloads of beer and cuss out the opening act, who puff their chests out and try to rock out in a "manly", restrained fashion, who are so unimaginative that every other word out of their mouth if "fuckin" this and "fuckin" that. Those people really took away from the experience for me. At least some of the people were courteous and respectful, namely the people directly adjacent to me.

Which leads me to another point; I found it very interesting to sit and classify all the types of people by their appearance (not to say that I know who they are, but rather commenting on the image they gave off.) You had your douchebags, you had your kids who looked like they rolled around in the tacklebox/Hot Topic (many of whom looked QUITE strung out,) the nerdy individuals with the videogame shirts/awkward glasses/what not, the older crowd (who were nearly all quite pleasant during the concert), and then the fellows who came primarily for intellectual stimulation. I wonder, if you saw me tonight, which I would fall under in your eyes.

Anyway, to summarize, many good moments, wish I could have been closer, and I would have paid all that money just to see Wings/10000 Days.

One question though: during Vicarious, what three colors were in the spectral-spread effect? Blue, Green, and Red, or was there a Yellow instead in there?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #14

Just got back...3rd time seeing them this week....DEFINITELY THE BEST ONE TONIGHT!! No fucking way Pittsburgh was louder...that crowd was lame compared to tonight....only dissappointment was the lack of cheering when maynard said "TOOL 2008". He wasn't saying they'd be back around then touring (as stated above)....he meant running for pres...come on now. I personally screamed my ass of cause maynard should be the new president....too much LSD talking now...new show monday wilkes barre for my 12th show....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Just got back, and wow fucking amazing. The whole band seemed to have been in a very good mood and also seemed to be appreciative of the crowd. From the other reviews I've read there were some nasty crowds and the band didn't respond well, but this was just an overall great show for the fans and the band.

Highlights - Stinkfist was fuckin awesome at the beggining, I was towards the top and the lighting on the stage with those green squares was just amazing.

Wings for Marie/10,000 days was beautfiul, I was most excited for this one and it definitely delivered, and the lasers made it even more awesome, very well done and it sounded great.

Lateralus was probably my favorite song of the night, the energy at the point was topped out and once again, the lasers were just sick.

THE LIGHTERS! haha that was cool, I got a few pictures of that and that really was a great moment.

Jambi - the talk box solo wow, he was fuckin on point.

The animations for forty six and two were mind boggling, really makes ya open your eyes a little bit, the whole evolution scenes were inspiring.

And the closer, Aenema, could not have been better. Great song to close out with, a classic tool song that leaves you a reminder of who they are. ( on a side note, anyone else realize it started raining outside after the concert "CAUSE IM PRAYIN FOR RAIN" Coincidence? I think not. Haha j/k.)

However, I was wondering if anyone remembers all the comments Maynard had tonight? The opening one had something to do with George Bush, another one about "junior" and some other comments. If anyone heard well and could post what he said I would appreciate it.

Oh yea, and could anyone make out if they lasers were drawing any images or anything? I couldn't tell from where I was sitting, and they seemed to have gotten cut off from the things hanging from the ceiling.

Last edited by Elite; 09-30-2006 at 10:20 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcantus View Post
One question though: during Vicarious, what three colors were in the spectral-spread effect? Blue, Green, and Red, or was there a Yellow instead in there?
Yeah, there was yellow. And on the jumbo tron hangy-down screen they were showing the Eye from the Vicarious opening on their website. I agree with you, whoever coordinated the light-show was amazing. It added so much more to it all.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 293

Welcome to the new world order. Great show. It was just under two hours again. I would say without a doubt that it is the best of the three times I have seen them this year. Accoustics were really solid. It was also cool to see so many damn people , totally animated by the music.

More later, sleep now.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #18
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite View Post
However, I was wondering if anyone remembers all the comments Maynard had tonight? The opening one had something to do with George Bush, another one about "junior" and some other comments. If anyone heard well and could post what he said I would appreciate it.
He said

" It's been 10 years now. 10 years of your favorite serial killer. Give a bow, Junior."

Something along those lines. I think naturally everybody thought he was talking about Justin.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #19
Level 2 - Poster

The band owes me a new pair of jeans. The show was awesome. This was my first time seeing Tool live, and I was not let down at all. I have been dabbling with the drums for a few years now so Danny Carey hijaked the majority of my attention. He was really impressive....His album work is impressive, but to see him play live and masterfully execute all of that stuff was truly remarkable. Maynard was spot on.....Justin is sick....Adam was money....it was good.

Jambi was friggin sick. I hear a lot of folks praise Wings and Lateralus as the show stoppers, but you folks reading this that haven't been to your show yet, wait until you hear Jambi.

Our neighbors were ok too. Especially this one girl that was sitting right next to us (in section 111)....really cute, curly blonde hair, she was money. While we waited for Tool to take the stage we talked about the band and our favorite albums. She was by herself which I found totally odd. The only wierdo's in our section was one dude who was walking up and down the stairs trying to throw up the metal sign to everyone, but he was too drunk to remember to close his thumb. This one dude told him: "Yeah, I love you too bro." The drunkard didn't get it. And there was this one dude that kept screaming and Hardcore dancing through Wings and 10k days. I thought "wow.This conduct perfectly compliments this ode to Maynards dead mother."

I'm super tired and my ears are ringing, so I'll post more tomorro....I mean later today.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

First time since seeing them in Jersey in 2002. Very good show.

"Welcome to the New World Order" - very appropriate in downtown dc
STinkfist was awesome
The intro part of The Pot was great - the crowd and maynard singing the first few lines back at each other
The little intro segue into 46&2 was fantastic! I really liked that one.
Jambi was better than on the album
Schism was great - especially the middle part I've heard so much about it - it definitely lived up to the hype
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned were better than they are on the album, but...Rosetta Stoned was a little too awkward for that set, I don't know it just didn't seem right. PLus maynard's effects box killed his volume and so only the parts sung normally came out at EQ
Wings/10kD was incredible.
The lighters part was cool and I definitely got some cool pics of that.
then of course, Lateralus. The single greatest song ever written. Every show, ever, should have Lateralus in it. Period. Best song ever. The crowd REALLY got into this one too, which was great.
Vicarious was good, but I agree with the above poster who said it was out of place (or something along those lines). Personally I think it should go earlier, and maybe add another "classic" tool song to fill out the second "set" *cough* Opiate
"Good fucking night! Hey hey hey hey...."
Aenema. Best closer ever. Just as every show should have Lateralus, every show should end on Aenema. PS - How great was it when the crowd BEAT maynard towards the end, to the point where Maynard physically lifted his hand as if to signal "No, I lead this verse, not you....follow me!" And we did.

This rowdy bunch behind me were chanting rather hilariously for "Hush" at first, but it quickly deteriorated into a "Jerk-Off" chant/request that lasted most of the show, haha. Unfortunately, they didn't get the crowd supprot they were looking for, but yes, Jerk-Off would have been awesome, haha

I love the crowd at tool shows becuase its such a broad spetrum. for example tonight I saw a man in a purpleish sport jacket and striped polo (classic boating wear) standing next to your typical run-of-the-mill phishhead. Fantastic.

Maynard also said at one point in the beginning (as best I remember it):
"I want to welcome a special guest here with us - our boy GW! Yeah!"
Crowd boos mercilessly
"I'm just kidding, I wouldn't invite that fucking clown..."
Crowd cheers

Justin was going off tonight. I haven't seen anyone get THAT into playing music in quite some time - very refreshing. Especially, when he's anchored on the other side by the immoveable object that is Adam Jones.

Danny was ridiculous, as per usual, and Maynard was rocking out all over the place.

The visuals were good...I really didn't expect THAT much recycling from past tours, and playing the music video seems like a little bit of a cop-out, but I happen to love the videos, so I'll let that one slide, haha.

Overall, once again I am left in awe.

8.15.02 - Continental Airlines Arena
9.30.06 - Verizon Center
7.18.07 - PNC Arts Center
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Props to Maynard for giving the shocker. I believe it was during Lateralus.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 03:20 AM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Was it just me, or did they seem to play the first few songs slower than usual? I didn't get into it as much as I would have liked until Wings for Marie, but then I was also sitting in the upper concourse. I used binoculars, but it feels too much like watching a concert video rather than the actual thing with the damn thing shaking in front of your eyes. Midway through I put it down, only picking it up to see Danny's wicked fills and to check too see if I play the chorus to Vicarious correctly (I'm fairly confident I do now).

Special Effects-
Some very interesting choices for special effects, especially the use of the lasers. During Wings when they were introduced, they very clearly invoked the idea of shining a light up to heaven. Then, they took the lasers and turned them into a symbol for the wings, twisting and turning their way up the the Maker. During Vicarious, the lasers seemed to stab out and touch the audience, hinting at the sort of universal guilt that the song describes. This culminated in an array that pointed to/over the entirety of the crowd. The visual displays were quite effective too. Not too showy, not too stagnant, just appropriate and profound.

Unfortunately, Tool does have a few fans who I can only describe as "douchebags." You know them, the ones who drink shitloads of beer and cuss out the opening act, who puff their chests out and try to rock out in a "manly", restrained fashion, who are so unimaginative that every other word out of their mouth if "fuckin" this and "fuckin" that. Those people really took away from the experience for me. At least some of the people were courteous and respectful, namely the people directly adjacent to me.

Which leads me to another point; I found it very interesting to sit and classify all the types of people by their appearance (not to say that I know who they are, but rather commenting on the image they gave off.) You had your douchebags, you had your kids who looked like they rolled around in the tacklebox/Hot Topic (many of whom looked QUITE strung out,) the nerdy individuals with the videogame shirts/awkward glasses/what not, the older crowd (who were nearly all quite pleasant during the concert), and then the fellows who came primarily for intellectual stimulation. I wonder, if you saw me tonight, which I would fall under in your eyes.

Anyway, to summarize, many good moments, wish I could have been closer, and I would have paid all that money just to see Wings/10000 Days.

yeah it is very interesting to see the different people. I know during the show, it doesn't matter where the hell I am, I contort like a spastic monkey on 7 different kinds of crack picking which rhythms I'm gonna express through gestures, or maybe I'm just imitating Maynard subconsciously. If I accidentally smack into someone real hard, I immediately apologize and go about my happy little way, back into bubble where I am w/Tool....much like other people. No clue where I fit in. I just hope the ones who appear stupid and meatheadish on the outside truly start to get inspired and have their mind, body and heart affected as well. I hope those people start to get Tool or wanna get to know more about Tool. A friend of mine that I invited, who was a Tool virgin, asked if anyone else was playing after Tool. With much certainty, I can say that the stupidity and ignorance of that sentence made me classify him as a stupid ignorant person at that point in time, even though I know him to better than that. even thoughPerhaps that will be the stupidist thing to ever be muttered from his lips. But alas, I took the high-road(no pun intended, unless you think it would crack your shit up, then by all means, have your silly pun) and explained to him some of the Tool ways. I guess I can't blame him, he went to the Vigin Festival festival thingy w/multiple
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 04:31 AM   #23
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite View Post

Oh yea, and could anyone make out if they lasers were drawing any images or anything? I couldn't tell from where I was sitting, and they seemed to have gotten cut off from the things hanging from the ceiling.

two circles overlapping one another, and then just little things like this [_|_|_] with three different colors at the end (all around the venue. in ma, at least) it was pretty cool, actually. it looked like a border you'd see in a child's room or something.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Our (mine & wife's) first Tool concert. She wasn't a big fan going in, but on the way home she pulled out all of their CD's and jammed the whole way home. I've been listening to them since '93 and I'm kicking myself for never going to one of their other tours

Great show! You know the setlist already. My section had a Camera Nazi event staff, but we managed to get a bunch of pics and vids from my wife's cell phone.

I would have to say the lights and stage show were the best on the last 3 songs. The maynardisms were great tonight and they all seemed like they were in a good mood. You could see Camella (Adam's wife) taking photos of maynard from behind Adam's amps. Hopefully we will get to see the pics some day!

I couldn't really get into ISIS. I think almost everyone sat down during their set or were walking in/out.

There was quite the spectrum of people. A couple of douchebags sitting next to us that either him or his gf would have to leave during ever other fucking song. That got old especially when they would come back he kept hitting my wife in the ribs to signal to let them back in the row.

Overall the show was awesome and my wife is now a fan for life as well. I'll have the pics up later tonight.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

I love the sound in the MCI center. But I hate the security Bastards. I was dancing in the hallway, not touching anyone, becasue I was sober and aware of my surroundings, and from the beginning of the show until Lost Keys, this one cool security gaurd was giving my high fives and was like right on, keep dancing. Then this bastard security gaurd came over and told me to find a seat...then he "caught me dancing" again, and gave me the second strike warning....So anyways I had to go dance in front of a seat which is impossible. So to everyone in section 404ish I apologize for blocking your view. BUT YOU WERE SITTING AT A ROCK CONCERT. YOU WERE SITTING DURING TOOL!!!

Anyways sound was great, show was great, and I can't wait until the spring 2007 tour. Floor seats at venues where there are seats suck, because you can't move around, and at MCI they are really hard core about keeping the aisles clear....so no dancing on the floor. Hopefully they will come back to Richmond, or other arenas with no seats on the floor, so meatheads can mosh up front, and I can dance in the back of the floor!!

The different types of people amaze me as well at tool shows....I listen to mainly live electronic music....and am a cross between/ phish/dead head, DJ house trance music club kid, and a TOOL head...its a weird combination, but leads to lots of dancing and positive spirituality. I saw Tool for the first time in 1993...and have seen them 8 times total now...I love all their music, but I missed not getting a disposition>Reflection>Triad.....which I think is the greatest three song combo ever. A parabola would be nice as well....hopefully they will add those back in during the next tour...and maybe mix up the setlist.

So Arcantus...I completely agree with your comments on who gets Tool in what ways....it does not matter what gets you off, or how you get off, as long as you get off...without being an ass to others. I know the people behind me while I was dancing thought I was an ass.....but THEY WERE SITTING DOWN AT A TOOL CONCERT.

Last edited by soulisshaking; 10-01-2006 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: TYPOS GALORE
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER.
just under 20,000 people at that show last night. after about halfway through the show there was about fifteen more people per row than seats (in section 100) i didnt mind at all. loved how maynard opened up trashin on W, "I'de like to introduce you to our special geust, Mr. GW... Just kidding i'de never invite that fucking clown" im surprised the crowd didnt boo bush as much as i thought they should. after 10000 days they band all put their instruments down and sat down on center stage, maynard lit a lighter and 6000 people followed in seconds, then after a short chill session, where i saw about a dozen people light up their joints, they al jumped back and started playin lateralus and the whole arena went apeshit. Danny was on all night, he had some crazy drum solos during schism. Overal the whole show was incredible, but prices on everything were jacked up like shit, $38 a tshirt(but i got it anyway), and like $70 for a hoodie, but mostly $7 a beer cashed my wallet before Isis even finshed their set(btw Isis had teribble acoustics, the only thing they were worth was giving people time to get drunk before tool came on). most of the people i saw inside had all been to at least a couple tool shows before, they were all chill even though everybody was in eachothers seats. Vicarious sounded great live, the whole lineup was incredible. I just wished they'de played third eye or anything off the opiate album. Just a great show, helluva enviroment to candyflip with all the laser lights and videos, definitly memorable

VOTE MAYNARD 2008!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

I believe what he said was, "We'd like to give a shoutout.... to a special guest. Mr GW" Then there were the boos, and the confusion. Then Maynard said, "Yeah right, you think I'd invite that fuckin clown?"

My first tool show ever. And it was amazing.

Isis sucked. The three guitarist to the left were all moving together like it was a choreographed seizure. And what was with the keyboard players leg? Anyone else see that? Shaking like he had to piss real bad. My brother pointed it out to me and I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of his set. The lead singer's voice wasn't all bad, but he would only sing for about 10 seconds, and then it would be 2 minutes of the same riff over and over. Why do they need 4 guitarists.... They could suck with one.... and their name backwards is SISI.

But Tool............. Man............. Rocked that shit. When he said Pitt was louder, he got some cheers. Then he said, "Nope. They were still louder." And I thought it got pretty loud. Then he said, "Look. I'm going to give you one last chance." That's when I thought a damn train was coming through the place.

One thing I really liked about Maynard was his stage presence. Even though he stays in the back... Anyone notice his mic boom was taller than him, but when he sang into it, his voice made him taller than the building. And the way he moved. During Stinkfist when the lights were going crazy, he looked like a demon or something, and I just lost it.

___________ Bottom line - I have never seen anything like that. And I will never miss a show when they come back around..... 4years, how many days????
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Scared Like you...thats a good attitude about having too many people in an area, and not getting upset, because someone is n your seat!! Thats how it should be. Its a live experience,and we are all in it together, and want to be as close as possible.

So I mentioned SITTING AT A TOOL concert.....and then I was thinking about the spiritual experience. Most of the times I dance....but sometimes, I am know to sit in the best lotus position I can do, with my finger connected, forarms siting on my elbows, eyes closed.....and just meditate and feel the music move through me....

So again, its a to each their own, but when you buy a ticket to a rock concert, you have to realize that people are there for different reasons, and different things get different people off. So if you want to watch the screen sitting at your seat, keep moving until you find the best unobstructed view you can. If you want to be in the pit(which is impossible at MCI) get in the pit. If you want to dance..find some floor and get you feet and arms moving. If you want to be a drunk asshole....go for it(although there should be a cage to house them in)....and if you want to sit quietly and meditate....go to the chillest area in the arena you can find, which is probably as far to the left or right of the band as you can get...almost behind them up top...thjose people are probably pretty chilled out. make the most of your experience..I know I did (I just wish, I did not have to try to dance in front of a seat for half of the show)

TOOL CONCERTS=Church, and spiritual experience of the highest order.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 AM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

That was my first Tool show and I was definitely not dissapointed. It took me about 3-4 songs to realize I was actually there seeing them. My seats in section 112 were awesome except one of Danny's big ass symbols was blocking him from view. But I could see everyone else clearly, so that was good. Between Isis and Tool, these hicks behind me we're saying some racist slurs and talking about these two hookers that the four of them banged or some shit. I was so happy when the music started and drowned out their fucking voices.

The final three songs were amazing. Everyone has talked about how good Lateralus is live, and I am so glad that I finally got to experience. Vicarious is also awesome live. I really liked the lights when they opened with Stinkfist too. I'm totally hooked and will find a way to see them on every remaining tour they have!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

Special Effects-

On the douchbag issue... I was in the 5th row, and yes, you should have paid as much as necessary to be able to see them that close (it was worth every penny or hour slaving away at my mindless job). I'm a crazy liberal, I would never advocate the death penalty for anyone... except the douchbag with a laser pointer up in the nose bleeds who thought it would be cool to fuck with maynard the entire concert. To that ahole, I would gladly strap you into the electric chair myself and flip the switch. Maynard was in a great mood the whole night, but who knows what we all could have experienced if that douchbag didn't piss maynard off, and trust me, he was pissed (he actually spent a good deal of time trying to pinpoint the douch to security, and if they suceeded, i hope they kicked the shit out of him before they threw his ass out).
But yes, the concert/religious life experience will not be forgotten, and Lateralus is the greatest song/musical message ever. Embrace the glory of life people, SPIRAL OUT.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #31
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

awesome show, my first tool showw ever

I LOVED IT when they opened with stinkfist, athough the tempo seemed slow, it rocked hard. 46&2 was great as well. I'm not a big fan of the new album, but I think ive been converted to THe POt and to a lessr extent, Jambi. BUt Rosetta Stoned/WIngs/10000 Days, etc., didnt really do anything for me. THe whole Verizon(MCI, w/e) Center was ABLAZE with lighters during the chill break. LIghts show was absolutely amazing, and I was hoping for the visuals to be more like what I ve seen/heard about the lateralus tour, but it was nice to be able to see maynard and his weird legs wide apart bobbing around stance...lol. Last 3 songs, I have never heard anyone rock harder in my life...Lateralus was awesome, itdidnt matter if vicarious felt aout of place at first, my heart sank when they started playing it(vicarious) at first, but it rocked so hard it didnt matter, and Aenema was AMAZING. talk about everybody being into it, and just oin the dot hard freakin rocking. My onkly disappointemnt of the night, was not one opiate song, more lateralus/aenima and TRIAD.....i would KILL to hear TRIAD live just ONCE.....but a greeat show...my best EVER....that will change wiht more TOOL concerts...god i hope they come back in the spring..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 1st Tool show, and was by far the greatest concert, and night of my life.

Isis was actually really good.

Tool opened up with stinkfist after maynard came on and said "Welcome to the new world order." Stinkfist sounded awesome, esspecially the extended bridge.

I'm still in too much awe to go into too much details, but the entire show blew my fucking mind, I got like a natural high from it.

Greatest fucking show ever. Tool is my favorite band, and the fact that I was actually there for the first time seeing them was unbelievable.

I am now even more in love with Jambi after last night, as with basically every other song played.

Hope they come back around Va soon. I'd see them in a heartbeat.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #33
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

The show was incredibly jawsome. Even though it's not close to being my favorite song, Lateralus kicked everyone's ass up one side of the street and down the other. The energy of that song is tremendous; the way everyone describes it does not even do it justice.

This was my first Tool show (and first time seeing Isis as well, they were pretty decent). My entire list of things to do before I die was "See Tool". I could get stabbed right now and not give a shit.

Overall, great show, a different setlist may have been nice (older stuff), but no complaints and I am grateful for what I got. The visuals were very cool, the laser lights hit this balance between being spectacular and being Pink Floydian and/or corny, either way it put a smile on my face and a sense of wonder was instilled in me.

Section 113 was definitely the place to be (in my opinion, it's way more fun to just watch Justin and Danny tear it up, they are truly the heart and soul of this band).

As for the clapping for GW, this was the Southernmost date Tool is playing (disregard Texas and any of the midwest for the moment), so a large chunk of the audience was from the South (haha can you blame them?)

"Right in Two" would have been perfect for the venue, but maybe next life.

Thank you, Tool.

DTA = don't trust anyone
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 47

One more thing: Ænema is a phenomenal closer, everything was perfect, the crowd was shouting along, I almost got a forward-moving wave started (not side to side like at sporting events) during the "And I'm praying for tidal waves", the video for that is easily Tool's best, and the finale with the drumming is mind-boggling.

I don't know which overshadowed which, Ænema or Lateralus, but both in the span of however long Vicarious is is just an orgasmic experience.

DTA = don't trust anyone
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61

All I can say is: Tool is the greatest band this planet has ever seen!

I actually went with my aunt, and I had some shitty tickets. We were up in the rafters, and it is so high up there that she freaked out and almost had a panic attack. So we went and talked to guest services and they allowed us to "upgrade" our tickets to section 121, then we were about 50 feet from the stage. She's never been to a show, and she was apologizing to me at first for freaking out. I was like NO NO NO, you just made the show a hundred times better for us hah. What amazing luck - my mind was blown. I was about to shit myself. What can I say, I'm not gonna try to analyze the show. It was an amazing experience. They were definitely ON. Best Tool show I have ever seen by far. Very cool people too. Sean, Chris and David, it was my pleasure to share that experience with you guys and everyone else!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

umm... uh.. I moved to the dc area 5.5 years ago and missed my chance to see the band.. I had only been waiting since 1992..

waiting...

waiting...

15+ years it finally happened.... I have been going to shows for over 17 years and this was the most emotional, exhausting, and intense concert I have ever witnessed.

I can finally die happy

thank you :)

thanks guys.

PS - if anyone has pics of this show or vids please email them to me. I know you do fuckers I saw you in section 113 (you know who you are :) )
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslupminoyler View Post
Some little guy in front of me in section 105 s was doing a really annoying drunkin monkey jive.
i was in 105 e. i stood for pretty much everything but wings/10,000 days. the people behind me were sitting most of the time so i kind of felt bad, but i wanted to stand and groove to it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

Hey eslupminoyler, I was in section 105 M. I think I know the guy you were talking about doing the crazy dance lol. He was basically standing in the walking area going nuts! I was gettting real into the music too, but section 105 seemed about as dry as hell...there were a few people just nodding their heads but I saw some people sitting down and some were just standing there as if they had never even listened to Tool before.

All I can say though is, fucking A-M-A-Z-I-N-G show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Best...Show...Ever!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #40
zbf
Level 1 - Lurker

i cannot remember during which song... but there was an image on the screen of an infinity sign with two circles overlapping. does anyone know where it originates from or if there's a picture of it online? thanks.

overall, amazing show, as always.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: