opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-22-2006, 10:27 PM   #81
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9
Re: 2006/09/21 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelli View Post
Before Wings Part One he dedicated it to someone.
He said, "This one's for Jan." Maynard's stepmom

It made me really angry when the people behind me speculated that he had said Jam, as in ' Pearl Jam ' and started arguing and saying that Maynard was a sarcastic bastard, kiddingly. I finally straightened their 3 minute, mindless conversation.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:25 AM   #82
BDT
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejoelsvolta View Post
Here we go. Let me first off explain that I have listened to Tool every single day since I was blessed to be introduced. This was my 5th show, and possibly the best. For all of those complaining about the visuals, you are gay, nuff said. The storm clouds in the lasers were incredible, and the images for rosetta stoned and 10,000 days were unbelievable. I was the guy in 114 wearing the LAPD shirt, glowing bracelets, and the hottest girl in the arena. Did anyone else notice how different Justin's Bass sounds from the album? In 46+2 the bass almost sounded like a funky slap bass feel, and in 10,000 days it was extremely percussive. Nothing like the album at all, these songs were meant to be played live. The white stage in the most brilliant thing ever concieved. It added a very positive bad ass feeling associated with 10,000 days the album. Anyone that says the songs off 10,000 days aren't as good obviously aren't musicians, and obviously have not taken the time needed to study and develop an educated opinion of them. At first I was disappointed that they are not playing anything from Opiate/Undertow, but now I completely understand, and would not have it any other way. The whole cowboy dance after pointing to Adam during Jambi was hilarious, and the stage antics for Rosetta made the song 100% better if that is even possible. It was as if he had a story to tell and created the "picture this if you will" theme perfectly. The only thing I could complain about would be the crowd going crazy for schism, the most commercial song ever. BUT, I was proven wrong when they busted out the double time part. Danny Carey is my god. Maynard seemed to be in a good mood, and Justin ROCKED THE FUCK OUT! especially during Aenima. Adam seemed to improvise some of his solos like only a guitar player with extreme finesse can do. Maynard had an incredible scream during Stinkfist, which left me mindfucked and convinced he was feeling better. The crowd was incredible, except for all the ******s leaving for Wings, do they not understand how intense, vital and original that production is? Maynard was right, i will see you in Cleveland, and I can't wait. The best part about this tour is that it seems more like a band rocking out then a whole staged producion. A+++++++++++++++

Yeah I saw you, I was section 114 row T seat 14, I was the one wearing the "Novus Opiate Seclorum" shirt. The concert was amazing considering it was my first TOOL concert. The crowd was great (at least in my section). I only wish i had brought my lighter, wouldve come in handy. Anyone know if there playing dayton in the spring?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #83
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Beautiful show, everything measured up to what I had expected, Maynard sounded great for being ill. I do miss the old days of the chicken dances and such, but it was funny to see him acting like he was riding a bull, Justin is a rock star lol, Danny was his usual 8 armed octopus/human self, but for me(being a guitarist and all) Adam ruled the show. Maynard kinda ran off stage quickly after throwing off a couple of water bottles and almost being hit by what looked like a frisbee golf disk? The rest of the guys stayed on for a few moments, appearing very humbled at the audiance applause. I look forward to hopefully catching them on the next leg of the tour, im sure they will hit cincy or Indy which is a lil closer too home for me....Much Love...Outie
Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 AM   #84
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardtillie View Post
Thats fine that you prefer to move, but do you realize how selfish your logic is? A lot of people prefer to enjoy tool in a different way and simply absorb the music. The problem is the same as with smoking in public, really. If I choose not to smoke, that only affects me, not anyone else. But if I choose to smoke, that affects everyone else and makes the choice for them. If I choose not to mosh, again, that only affects me and no one else. But if I choose to mosh, that affects everyone in my vicinity, who gets bumped and pushed whether they want to or not. The choice to mosh then, like the choice to smoke in public, is a fundamentally selfish and inconsiderate one. And its not only about injuring people. You seem to be saying that as long as you're not intentionally injuring people then its ok. You can still ruin someone's concert experience without actually injuring them. You're basically saying that what YOU prefer to do takes precedence over what other people around you prefer. I'm glad security did a good job and didnt really let anything happen last night.
Let's see, how would Bill Hicks respond to this? (He's the comedian that once went on tour with Tool, and who is featured on the hidden track of Undertow.) Oh yes, I think he might say something about how lame non-smokers are, especially when they complain about second-hand smoke. "I'm a non-smoker," he says, in a lame-o voice. We're all going to die eventually, remember?
Loosen your tie/skirt a little, have a beer and listen to a Bill Hicks CD sometime, preferably "Relentless." TOOL would be proud of you!

I'm generally a nice, sharing person. But let us remember the wise words of David Byrne, "Be a little more selfish, it might do you some good."

Seriously, its a TOOL concert. It's not the opera, it's a rock show. I expect smoke (both kinds), some people on hallucinogens, people wearing black t-shirts, maybe a tittie flash or two, expensive beer, and yes, moshing in front of the stage.
People that enjoy the show "in a different way" should not sit in front of the stage, forcing their collective lameness upon us. Yeah, I said it.
Selfish? Maybe so.
Can I get a witness?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #85
Level 4 - Thinker

loved the show. thanks a bunch tool had a great time. i'm so pissed at ticketmaster though. i purchased tickets the minute available (last saturday in july i think) and i selected "best tickets available" and i f**king got nosebleeds. i'm sick of that sh*t
Old 09-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #86
Level 1 - Lurker

I drove all the way from Spartanburg Sc and I can Say it was the best time of my life.It was classic Maynard.The line about the electon was great.The band is the best live and best overall out ther today and in my opinion the GOAT!!From Stinkfist to Aenima it was so tight it gave me one of the highest feelings in all my life.The Stage being all white and to have all the projection on it was insane.I just wanted to tell all that missed I wish u where there and to all the great fans and the best band ever to bless these eardrums has soon has they come anywhere near me again I will be there UNtil I will live vicariously through the music
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #87
Level 1 - Lurker

As to the selfishness argument against moshing, that same argument can be reflected right back at those who don't enjoy moshing, claiming that they are being selfish and "ruining" the concert for those who feel a need to express themselves physically. But really, I don't want to argue, just reflect.

I, too, felt a bit physically constrained. I didn't want to mosh, per se, but I did desire a more cohesive crowd. I felt like the chairs on the floor did a lot to segment people, that they prevented the multitude of individuals from becoming a crowd, and that really detracted something from the show for me. I would have enjoyed myself a lot more if I were pressed within a sea of humanity, all of whom were united in a mutual love of the force that is Tool.

This is not to say that I didn't love the show; it was definitely the best concert experience that I've ever had, and the visuals really added to the show. Danny Carey was just plain phenomenal, and in my opinion he's what really makes this band great. Maynard sounded as good as anyone can be expected to sound live, I never would have guessed he had been sick had I not read as much in this forum. The set-list seemed to be a little hard-and-fast loaded, but I suppose that's what most people want in a show.

As for the visuals, using the floor as a projector screen did seem like an inspired choice, but I don't think it panned out for them very well. The images were too fuzzy, such that I found myself checking the screens up top every time the image changed to see what I was supposed to be perceiving in the vague moving shapes on the floor. Also, the lasers didn't work for me. They just didn't fit with the music, IMO.

As for the issues people have been raising with apparel prices, perhaps I'm taking an overly broad interpretation, but I put a completely different spin on the whole thing. I like to think that it's not about the money at all, but rather, about the band's general cynicism and dislike of just such forms of whoring themselves out. I feel like they set the prices so high specifically so that the fans who don't need a t-shirt or some other symbol to show off to the world that they enjoy Tool, won't buy one, whereas those who do, well, they'll label themselves pretty appropriately with the big "TOOL" emblazoned across their chests.

Anyway, make of it what you will, I hope to catch Tool on this tour again so that I can relive this experience, but I'll probably never see a show at Nationwide again just for the fact that I felt so isolated.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #88
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 166

does express yourself physically *have* to mean throwing yourself into people violently?
because I think thats pretty selfish. How many stories have we heard of people just trying to watch the concert getting hurt? Whatever.

On one hand I kinda liked that there were seats, on the other I didnt.
I understand exactly what you mean ItsCallingMe, thats the reason I didnt like the seats, but part of me is glad they were there to keep the idiots away from me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #89
Level 3 - Talker

Holy fuckin shit!!! Thats all I have to say. Energy was awesome, band was awesome, visuals were some damn tasty eye candy. I loved the intros and variations, esp. the double time on schism-WoW. Were there actually clouds projected on the fog in the lasers or was it just the fog forming clouds? A friend and I were in argument over that. Did anyone see the battle over Dannys first stick? I hope noone got fucked up too bad b/c from 104 it looked like someone almost fell.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #90
Level 1 - Lurker

ItsCallingMe, i like yer theory on the merch prices. it fits well.
maybe they dont have a whole lot to do with the merchandising!?!?
i dunno

anyways, heres what i dont understand about excessive physical expression, moshing, whatever you call it:
i guess the point is that if yer doin all that shit, yer really not paying attention to the show. you could be in yer room, turning up the cd for fucks sake. you dont know the band and visuals are there if yer thrusting yerself into other people or objects.

ive been on the floor at some shows, and i will never do it again because fucking idiots landing on my head kept me from being able to pay attention to the show.
ITS NOT YER SHOW DAMMIT
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #91
Level 1 - Lurker

the merch prices did suck, however I had to buy one because I've bought one at every show and I'm not about to stop now. Besides, mine get pretty worn, especially waiting 5 years between concerts. Anyway, this is just a thought: Maybe the prices are so high because they feature Alex Grey's artwork.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #92
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I've never been to a TOOL show before this and was kind of worried. I had so many expectations of what TOOL should sound like and was afraid that, with their intricate music, they wouldn't exactly be able to keep up with my expectations.
I shouldn't have worried.

They were amazing.
They almost lost it on Stinkfist, Maynard wanted to come in at a slower tempo than the rest, but it solidified and kicked ass by the end.

TOOL, their music means a lot of me. And, of all the songs they -could've- played to just make my life, they only missed two. And that's saying a lot, methinks. I was all grins and giggles, and I cried--thrice. During 46&2 (hearing that live was like a wet dream come true), Wings for Marie, and Lateralus.

I was unaware that MJK had just come of an illness, and, realising now that he was, he sounded even better than I gave him credit for. The things that man does with his voice everyday for weeks on end--I couldn't even imagine the pain he's in on his days off. His voice was so beautiful, so brilliant. The others, perfect. Adam sounded great--for a man that didn't like guitar solos, he was sure tearing his guitar up that night--and doing a marvelous job of it, I'd say. And Justin . . . poor guy. I felt so bad for him. When he had to pull out the stool and sit down to play WfM because he still isn't comfortable playing without his trusty pick--I was so proud of him. Seeing him take the shame, the possible embarassment to give us something they said they would probably never do--that was enough for me to feel honored, like TOOL actually cared about us as fans. And Danny--impeccable. Only wish they'd've played Right in Two so I could hear him bang on those new Mandalas. Guess it was Adam's night to shine.

Wings for Marie, that was such an honor. I don't think I could've made it through that song, were I MJK. I would've cracked up and lost all control of my voice.

Overall, even with our nosebleed seats (though they were actually perfect, we were right over top of Justin, could see everyone in the band perfectly while still being able to see the visuals they were sharing with us), the show was miraculous. I was more than impressed, more than pleased. The show was like an orgasm of sound for me, a never-ending crescendo of bliss, and I'm glad I was there, any doubts or "wish-could've"s I may have about the show.

And as far as the anti-moshing policy, I was so very very happy. I love to move to Tool. In fact, I bashed my face off the rail in front of me headbanging a little too hard. But here's the thing, Moshing is completely ridiculous. I finally got to see another band I'd been wanting to a few days before TOOL: Avenged Sevenfold; I was five rows back from them, and I couldn't enjoy the show because of idiots wanting to run into each other in the front of the crowd. You want to behave like that, do it in the back, where you can't bother anyone that just wants to stare slack-jawed at the band.
Dancing, headbanging, moving around, no big deal. Disturbing people that actually care about the music--you're wasting our lives and being a bad fan (especially of TOOL, methinks).

A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.

Last edited by Skinshifter01; 09-24-2006 at 11:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #93
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_xya View Post
Stinkfist
The pot
(some keyboard intro, sounded like the end of "Reflection")
46+2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
10000 days
Encore:
Lateralus
(some sort of keyboardy thing, it was pretty cool)
Vicarious
Aenima

i have seen Tool now 4 times. 3 times during Lateralus & the show tonight. i can say without question this was my best Tool experience EVER. The visuals were like nothing i've ever seen & i have been to MANY concerts in my past... very Pink Floydish in my opinion. The Nationwide Area has a great staff & a wonderful building, not to mention great sound! Man when i saw them here back in '01 at Ohio State it SUCKED because their sound system is all bass... not tonight, great blend of everything.

i can't get over the lasers... they made the fog look like storm clouds, it was nuts! Screw everybody in Chicago who said the visuals were cheesy... you guys are ungreatful jerks who are too use to getting everything because of where you live. Down here we appreciate what we get & what we got tonight was one of the most fantastic shows any band has ever put on.

How about the crowd? My gosh, best concert crowd ever! Especially on Aenema the entire place was thrashing around in unison & screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs... i've never seen anything like it.

Maynard was on it tonight, perfect performance... no missed lyrics, no missed notes. And ofcourse the band was spot on especially Danny who played a crazy break down in Schism.

The only draw back was that Maynard spoke very VERY little & was pretty much a dick to everyone... kinda seemed like he didn't want to be there. oh well. here's all i heard Maynard say:

Tool walks onto stage:

Round on both ends and high in the middle, pay attention stoners. (Stinkfist)

Before The Pot:

What the F*** happened here last election, c'mon. (The Pot)

Before Wings Part One he dedicated it to someone.

Before the encore Justin sat on stage & held a lighter up for a while, the arena filed suite, it was like a human Christmas Tree.

Before Lateralus Maynard said:

Goodnight... (pause for effect)... i double dog dare ya' to leave... (Lateralus)

Finally, before Aenema Maynard said:

See ya' in Cleveland.

He promply walked off stage after embracing his band members after the song. The others stuck around for a couple minutes & played with the screaming crowd.

Maynard wore his cowboy outfit (tight jeans, big belt buckle, ATF jacket, cowboy hat) he had the jacket & hat off most of the show showing his bare chest & mohawk hair. You could also see his scorpion tat on his back. Oddly enough he happened to have a black band around where he use to have the APC symbol. My friend thought it was for his ear monitor i however think it was to cover up the fact he was in a band he no longer is on good terms with.

ok i'm done.

I was @ both shows( the schot '01(sept 14th) @ nationwide 21st.........you are right on the money here great description....It's almost like we watched the same show!........but seriously....great description.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #94
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejoelsvolta View Post
Maynard had an incredible scream during Stinkfist, which left me mindfucked and convinced he was feeling better. A+++++++++++++++
I heard a similiar scream at the end of stinkfist in chicago. since it was the first song of the night, like you, i also assumed that he was feeling much better. i am hoping to hear a boot of the show to confirm my beliefs. i don't think he normally yells during that particular part of the song, regardless of if it is the 'white lines' version of stinky or not.

not that it matters, but here is part of my original post (9/19/06) regarding the chicago show (9/18/06):

'anybody notice the extra scream maynard let out toward the end of stinkfist? i don't recall ever hearing any vocals at that particular part where he let it out, but it was a good 4-5 second yell.'

Last edited by peripheral; 09-25-2006 at 09:32 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #95
Level 3 - Talker

Kick ass show. I got to go with my brother and his friend this time, so we were pumped. We all were wanting The Pot to be played, and when it was, it was so awesome. Highlights of the show for me were definitely the lasers. Unfortunately, there were some tall fuckers in front of me, so it was hard to actually see the stage. My brother is a drummer, so I was happy he got to see Danny Carey live.

Anyways, did anyone get a recording of the show? I'm dying to hear it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 06:46 PM   #96
Level 2 - Poster

I still can't believe how everyone thinks the visuals were so good. Did you see the Lateralus Shows? Doesn't it feel a little sparse? The stage was awesome but the lack of backdrop art was disappointing. Just been reading here and I think people want everything to be so awesome when they talk about it that they can't be honest so their experience seems better than it was. I want to see that big fucking poster they're selling for 25 bucks dominating the background ALONG with the cool stage projections...It's the most TOOL have ever charged for a ticket in an arena and it seems that they're actually doing less to earn it. I know I sound like a h8r but I seen these guys do ALOT BETTER and I wish that everyone who thinks this stage get up was the bomb understand that this is actually a down grade from the bombness of the past. ALSO CENSORSHIP IS FASCISM!!!!!!! Wonderful how my other post VANISHED...NAZIS
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #97
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 31

i saw columbus and detroit. columbus close up from the side and up a little. awesome show of the band and screens. lacked nothing. the lasers weren't nearly the same from the side as in detroit when i was underneath them. the lasers are awesome. the clouds and the thunder during wings is great.

i think the setup offers something to everyone. and nothing was lacking. i mean you still have four big screens in most places cause of the score board.

i don't feel much like typing but i thought people overall have really sold this tour short. its full of great songs and great stage settings.

tool is alive and well are their fans?
riddle me this. once i was prominently displayed for all to see . I made many a man question his true desires. now however i am most likely packed away. However i could be a nice money maker for those who love to squeeze fake things. who or what am I?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 04:50 AM   #98
Level 1 - Lurker

Seen the boys multiple times since 1992. The growth of this band is beyond what ANYONE ELSE out there is doing besides U2. Different types of music ,yes, but powerful and always with a message. Church has nothing on the REV MJK. Expecting songs over 14-15 years old is not where this band is right now. LISTEN to the WHOLE album. ALL of them. You one hit wonders out there can't appreciate a concert if you don't know what the hell is going on. C'mon.....If they do another leg next year...it WILL be different...the show we saw is different from the earlier shows on this tour. It gets to be a drag for these guys if it turns into cookie cutter types of performances. Let them grow...and they shall never disappoint...the are TOOL for goodness sake. Loved the show in Columbus.. good crowd. See you in Pittsburgh tonight people. Haven't seen anything in the Peterson Center yet. And for all you bitchers out there.....KEEP STEALING ALL THESE BANDS MUSIC AND YOU WILL CONTINUE TO PAY OUT YOUR ASSES FOR THE STUFF THAT DOESN'T SEEM IMPORTANT AT THE TIME, EXCEPT FOR WHEN IT'S IN FRONT OF YOU, AND YOU REALIZE HOW FUCKING COOL IT REALLY IS AND YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT! BUY THE GOD DAMN ALBUMS PEOPLE..... AND SHIRTS AND CONCERTS WILL SURELY COST LESS IN THE END!.........think for yourself....nothings for free........

Last edited by huntski69; 09-26-2006 at 04:53 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #99
my head's like a kite!

Bincount™: 668

All I can say is that was an amazing fucking show!! We drove all the way up from Florida and it was worth every minute of it.

We were in 116 row B seats 15 & 16 (right beside the stage). I was the blonde chick rockin' the fuck out! Many thanks to couple beside us who smoked a couple of blunts with us - made the show that much sweeter. I got a couple of pics and a short recording with my camera phone but nothing spectacular b/c its a shitty camera phone. Anyone get any goods pics?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #100
Level 1 - Lurker

it was un fortunatley my first tool concert.i will be at every one from now on.i love tool they are the sh1t.every song played i knew. i was in sec 117 row q seat 24.aisle bitches.i got the gaddamn drum stick.couldnt have ended better.i gave the stick to my best friend, she couldnt make the concert.she didnt want it at first,but the fact that i was even able to get it was the sh1t.so we are splitting custody.cant wait till the next show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #101
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelyn View Post
All I can say is that was an amazing fucking show!! We drove all the way up from Florida and it was worth every minute of it.

We were in 116 row B seats 15 & 16 (right beside the stage). I was the blonde chick rockin' the fuck out! Many thanks to couple beside us who smoked a couple of blunts with us - made the show that much sweeter. I got a couple of pics and a short recording with my camera phone but nothing spectacular b/c its a shitty camera phone. Anyone get any goods pics?
no pics but i think i caught a glimpse of you blazing.good shit.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelyn View Post

did you see me grab the stick and go fn nuts
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #103
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00b View Post
my third show. wings+10k days gave me the chills.
justin was sitting for those songs, i wasn't ready for that.
lasers are amazing
I will post a longer review tomorrow after the post show party at my friends place going on now.
sitting? hmm they cancelled the madison show on the 19th, a sad day for me but they stated that a band member was ill or something like that
maynard had been sick for a while put still performing, and i heard a rumor that justin had gotten sick... oh well i will probably neverk now
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:20 AM   #104
my head's like a kite!

Bincount™: 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117 23 View Post
did you see me grab the stick and go fn nuts
Hell yeah I did - nice catch! I saw everyone go up for it and I thought someone was going to go tumbling down the stairs. :)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: