opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 12. Triad
User Name
Password
Old 11-19-2002, 10:55 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Emotion

I think this song together with Stinkfist, Aenema, Bottom and Intolerance has the most emotion in it..
It also sounds like a Triad, a sort of supernatural test of climbing a mountain... so f*ckin beautiful, are you thinking the same?
Old 11-19-2002, 12:39 PM   #2

Bincount™: 0
After hearing this song in concert a few times I have realized the awesome energy in it. I think it might have something to do with the attainment of a goal found within the album.

It starts with the Grudge (see my posts there) and ends with this song.

There are no words and I think this is important because it is purely emotion and energy...words cannot fully capture this. Perhaps the message is one that transends language. After stepping out of our personal ego...getting away from the notion of 'I' we become all and what need is there for communication at that point...the realization that we are all one energy. The energy of the song is simply that ENERGY. It is what we are
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:15 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

A triad is a unity of 3.
There are hardly any vocals in the track, so its pretty much just Justin, Danny and Adam (3) playing.

Either way, The energy is incredible. I listen to this track when I'm doing my warmup prior to competition. There is no other track that I find as invigorating as Triad.

Incredible.

-Nietzsche
Old 11-19-2002, 10:04 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

A great track, probably my tool favourite. I was never really into the song but after seeing it live my whole perspective of it has changed. I think the band would enjoy playing this song, it comes through in live performance i feel.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:11 AM   #5

I had the same experience with it. My perspective on the song completely changed once I felt the live energy of it...maybe it was just the way that the songs flowed together and the way that it shaped the tension into something else. Now when I listen to it I find myself really thinking harder about that energy and what it could mean.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:53 PM   #6
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
Total agreement

I can tell all of the previous posters are in agreement that Triad can be summed up with one word - ENERGY. The first time I saw Triad live was with Disposition and Reflection with the Schism dancers (Forget the name off the top of my head) swinging in the air - INCREDIBLE. But the second time was one that I will never forget. It was the last show of the leg on Sept 7, 2002 in Moline, IL. The setlist was extremely short, but Triad, although independent of its other two counterparts, had more energy and emotion that 4 full length shows put together - With all 4 members playing intruments plus two guest drummers and Mike Patton on a mixer. I wish I had more words to describe it.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 11-20-2002, 04:44 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

osseus labrynt(sp?) is there name. I saw them too on the australian tour. Adds large amounts to the atricstic aspect of the concert.

Did anyone esle spot them in Men in Black 2. Quite a pleasant suprise to an otherwise shit movie.
Old 11-23-2002, 04:48 PM   #8
Level 2 - Poster

Triad is such an awsome song. It sort of gives the rest of the band a chance to shine, because when I talk to all my friends who've just begun listening to TooL, all they really talk about is Maynards singing abilities. He's got a great voice, and he writes some great songs - but they never really talk about the guitar riffs, the drum beats or the basslines. So Triad gives those parts of the band a chance to show off their abilities to all the new listeners who're more focused on the lyrics and the voice, rather than the band as a whole.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:22 PM   #9

Yes, but sadly most people that are obsessed with Maynard will grow impatient with this song and not listen to it. It would be great if this were the road to realizing that Tool has more than one voice. I think that that just comes with musical maturity.

I see it this way, Triad looks at the soul, the same way Reflection looks at the mind. There are no words because language is not helpful when explaining a soul's being. Words are left to the mind's reasoning and prespective.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:00 PM   #10
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
I agree - definately couldn't see Triad having or needing any lyrics, while having as much meaning as any other song.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
Old 11-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

i saw this song live as the set opener may 13th 2002 in london. great drum solo to start, gradually the rest appeared on stage as the song built up - dude from Pablo (support act) on the rototoms. utterly fantastic opening, i can't remember the specifics of the visuals - just a lot of bright colour and light everywhere, flooding the room, our hearts and our souls. the drums sound so much more powerful live, and rhythm is the key to this majestic song. fantastic.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #12

I would have to mention however that the live version of Triad puts the studio version to shame. It seems like some of the vitality is missing on the studio version. Not to say that it is bad but it doesnt move me anywhere nearly as much as it did live.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:06 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24
yeah man, Triad Live blows my brain cells away. so crazy, i start swaying and loosing control of my extremeties. its awesome. the precussion rocks the house, if they have a live DVD it would be worth it just for this song.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:25 PM   #14

this is one badass song to play on guitar after a bad day.

also, saw this song live on a roll. thought i could die happy right there. (10/21/02 indpls)
Old 12-28-2002, 08:09 AM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

also, saw this song live on a roll. thought i could die happy right there.

So did I bro, so did I. hehe
Old 12-30-2002, 12:46 AM   #16
Drug Crazed Grindfreak

Bincount™: 5716
At the one show that I have been to, this was probably my favourite song ( or actually probably tied with Flood and Aenima ). The amount of force, of energy really surprised me, especially since it doesn't come out in the same extent on the album.

I really, really hope that they put this on the Live DVD.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: