opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Salival » 8. Maynard's Dick
User Name
Password
Old 11-19-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
First real song by TOOL?

I think that "Maynard's Dick" is possibly the first song TOOL ever composed and performed themselves.

I think this way because:

a) It sounds very "Opiate"-ish.

b) I have seen/heard many times before that the band's name came from them talking about taking Maynard "out to the toolshed." The "toolshed" line is a lyric in the song. If they had just named themselves, it might have been one thing fresh on Maynard's mind.

c) It seemed "important" enough to be put on Salival.

I might be way off here, but it's just a theory.

Patrick.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:40 PM   #2
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
It is, indeed, an Opiate-era song.
Quote:
b) I have seen/heard many times before that the band's name came from them talking about taking Maynard "out to the toolshed." The "toolshed" line is a lyric in the song. If they had just named themselves, it might have been one thing fresh on Maynard's mind.
I'd never thought of that. I knew the old Toolshed references (hence t.d.n's subdomain), but hadn't caught the Toolshed lyrics before. Thanks.
Quote:
Indeed.
Great post. Thanks.

Last edited by Chris_Brightwell; 11-19-2002 at 09:44 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:08 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
definately sounds like it may have been the first song they wrote together, probably just to get aquanted with each other... the song is quite generic,... and not even serious,atleast i dont think it is...
Old 11-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6
distortiononline.com has a great big list of nearly every show tool has done, and most of these have the setlists with them. They've actually played Maynard's Dick live twice, a long long long time ago. Actually, only once; One time was supposedly just a "tease" after Intolerance. At least that's what I remember reading anyways...
Old 11-22-2002, 12:04 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: First real song by TOOL?

Patrick -

My understanding from certain parties involved with Opiate (who would know) is that Maynard's Dick is indeed an old song, but the recording on Salival is not the version recorded during the Opiate sessions...unless his memory was hazy. But there was definitely a recording of the song done in the very early days. As far as it being the "first song" - no indication was given at the time I talked to him about it that the song was really anything extrordinary.

But it makes for an interesting conversation.

-Roadie

Quote:
Originally posted by povvy
I think that "Maynard's Dick" is possibly the first song TOOL ever composed and performed themselves.

Patrick.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Re: First real song by TOOL?

Quote:
Originally posted by roadie
Patrick -

My understanding from certain parties involved with Opiate (who would know) is that Maynard's Dick is indeed an old song, but the recording on Salival is not the version recorded during the Opiate sessions...unless his memory was hazy. But there was definitely a recording of the song done in the very early days. As far as it being the "first song" - no indication was given at the time I talked to him about it that the song was really anything extrordinary.

But it makes for an interesting conversation.

-Roadie

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Patrick.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:03 PM   #7

Bincount™: 26
Very good theory... it does seem the style around the opiate era... i realized... it is the only tool song that is very basic simple 4/4 laid back music... maybe .... just MAYBE the first time all four of them got together they said... "hey lets just improvise something... to get things going.. ok lets just do it like this... intro for a couple bars... drums come in... and vocals.... then after a couple bars we'll just go into a chorus.... just follow what i do ..... ok ok ok ??" i did that in my band once... and it sorta turned out the same... all easy and peaceful for the start and then turns beligerent and fuckin cool at the end.

just an idea
Old 11-23-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffElston
just an idea
Yes, it is very simplistic - another piece of evidence. ;-)

Patrick.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:08 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

I always thought of this song as a parody of Creed. Since they're always making jokes about them. You have your acoustic guitar rhythm, alt rock style bass line, and alt song structure.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:14 PM   #10
Level 3 - Talker

Listening to the quality of the recording...it probably wasn't recorded during the years when Paul was in the band....I bet they recorded it recently before Salival.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

theories...

ok, maybe one of the members is really a pop guru and actually hates tool's music and finally got one of 'his' songs in there.

but eriously, i always thought tool did this song kind of as a joke, to show that they can do pop songs if they want to. (and well). maybe they could have been pop stars? (ha!).

but i like your theory of it being one of their earliest tho. makes sense...
Old 11-26-2002, 03:13 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

It does have the overall feel of an Opiate era song, but Maynard uses more of a vocal range on Maynard's Dick than most of the tracks on Opiate. His voice also sounds a bit more refined than on the Opiate tracks.

This may all be in my imagination, but I tend to agree with the statement that it's a very old song re-recorded for Salival. For one, they DID record No Quarter over for the boxed set, so why not Maynard's Dick as well?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:27 AM   #13

Yeah, it sounds like an old song that was re-done for the box-set.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:47 PM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

Anyone ever noticed the chords in the verse are practically the same as the chorus in "Alive" by Pearl Jam? Just heard that song on the radio recently and thought "hey... that sounds like Maynard's Dick..." But then again they're very simple chords... E G D A... if it were a comment there it would probably be how easy it is to write a song thats catchy yet has no deep-rooted meaning.

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes
Old 12-03-2002, 10:55 AM   #15
The Burninator

Bincount™: 483
yep

I have noticed that. Its kinda cool.
I also think this is a re-recording of an older song, it just sounds really simple. Almost like they jammed it out, but that's just my simple opinion from my simple mind. : P

MW

Think for yourself. Question Authority.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:09 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

i would most wholeheartedly agree that while it is opiate-era, it was re-recorded fopr salival like no quarter. don't think it was paul era, nor do i think maynard would have sung like that so long ago. think children of the anachronistic dynasty maynard for something that old.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:11 AM   #17
On Probation

Bincount™: 177
yup

Quote:
Originally posted by Tokes
Anyone ever noticed the chords in the verse are practically the same as the chorus in "Alive" by Pearl Jam? Just heard that song on the radio recently and thought "hey... that sounds like Maynard's Dick..." But then again they're very simple chords... E G D A... if it were a comment there it would probably be how easy it is to write a song thats catchy yet has no deep-rooted meaning.

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes
Yes! The bass near the end of "Alive" is the exact same as the chord progression in "Maynard's Dick". It kind of reminds me of that saying that if you had so many monkeys type randomly at a typewriter for so long that you would get the works of Shakespere (who, by the way, was a anti-semite who married his cousin). I'm not sure if that was their first song, but it's something for the brain to chew on. (mmm... mind gum...)
Old 01-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Re: yup

Quote:
Originally posted by brilliantname
the works of Shakespere (who, by the way, was a anti-semite who married his cousin
Im sorry, but i really hate when people do stuff like this. all humans have faults, the fact that he hated jews and married his cousin doesnt demean him at all. fdr married his cousin. the whole western world hated jews. so what? poe was an extreme alcoholic and drug addict, but he sure wrote some good shit. i really do hate when people try to down talk a famous writer/poet/anything just because of their values. you people are the reason why the national enquierer is still on the shelves
Old 01-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Tokes

Spiral out, keep going.
- Tokes
I'm not one to comment much, but I figured I had to register to defend one of my other musical obsessions, Pearl Jam. "Alive" is not a song without a deep-rooted meaning, not at all. It is, in fact, part one of Pearl Jam's "Mamasan Trilogy" (Alive->Once->Footsteps). In "Alive," a young man's father dies when he's quite young, and as he grows older, his mother, who was very much in love with her deceased husband, notices that her son is starting to look just like him. She ends uo molesting him, leading to the boy's questioning of his self-worth and eventual degeneration into insanity. Later in "Once," he is much older and so far gone that he goes on a killing spree. He is eventually caught and, in "Footsteps," reflects on his life and his mother.

As for "Maynard's Dick," it sure is funny, isn't it?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:18 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Its in the faq...
Old 02-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 15
sounds pre-opiate
Old 03-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #22
On Probation

Bincount™: 177
Re: Re: yup

Quote:
Originally posted by lateralus1213
Im sorry, but i really hate when people do stuff like this. all humans have faults, the fact that he hated jews and married his cousin doesnt demean him at all. fdr married his cousin. the whole western world hated jews. so what? poe was an extreme alcoholic and drug addict, but he sure wrote some good shit. i really do hate when people try to down talk a famous writer/poet/anything just because of their values. you people are the reason why the national enquierer is still on the shelves
What's even worse than people trying to talk down a famous poet is someone self-righteously preaching about something that noone honestly gives a fuck about anyway.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #23
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 2

sweat, cold and ugly.. then maynard's dick?
right.

and yes, i agree it's definately been re-recorded.
as for it being "opiate-era" .. it just doesn't seem to fit at all.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:05 AM   #24
meh.

Bincount™: 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by sead
[...] as for [Maynard's Dick] being "opiate-era" .. it just doesn't seem to fit at all.
Whether it fits or not, it's an Opiate-era song.

They played it July 25, 1992 and they played a teaser of it on January 27, 1993. If that doesn't make it "Opiate-era," I don't know what does.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

i have a bootleg video that i aquired from a friend where tool plays at the mason jar in august of 92. and the last song they play which is more of an encore is maynards dick. it sounds just like the salival version. it definetely was one of their first songs.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Poe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus1213

Actually, as far as Edgar Allen Poe goes, he wasn't a drug addict....at least not at first. Due to his distaste for the critics of the time period, and the subsequent vocalization of that distaste, the critics wrote things that simply weren't true. Essentially, they made up stories about drug addiction. People simply accepted it as fact, thus, ironically leading Poe to a life of addiction.

Same essentially goes for Jefferson. All those stories you hear about him fathering the children of his slaves was made up by his political adversaries. Just thought that was a relatively interesting tidbit.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:56 PM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Its also the only Tool song that the guitar is played in standard tuning. This could be because Adam only started using primarily heavy drop d powerchords once Tool found its niche a little better (just a guess, I have no idea if this is true at all).

It also has a tiny bit of smashing pumpkins influenced sound to it, which is a style it would make sense for musicians of their type at the time to try and emulate a little bit. Again, I have no idea if this has any truth.
Do what it takes to step through. -TOOL
Old 03-20-2004, 08:48 PM   #28
2005 TDN Bracketologist

Bincount™: 434

Maynard's voice did not sound like that in 1992.

I think they wrote it as either a joke or either a sample song of what they were capable of. Then they rerecorded it either for Aenima or before Salival.

I don't think it has any hidden meaning at all whatsoever.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:07 PM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Maynards voice sounded fine in 1992.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #30
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by povvy

Patrick.

Whoa. I remeber reading this when it was first posted. I didn't realize at the time who povvy was, and I was unaware of his greatness. Damn, this is from hella deep ago.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

You know...TOOL has been a band since 1990, not 1992...they had other gigs before 1992, opening, and little shops and such. This was not the first TOOL song to ever come out, the first song they ever played was Hush, l believe.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #32
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllforUnity
You know...TOOL has been a band since 1990, not 1992...they had other gigs before 1992, opening, and little shops and such. This was not the first TOOL song to ever come out, the first song they ever played was Hush, l believe.
Oh ok... so you were in there when they first rehearsed and wrote a song? You better tell us about that experience. ;-)

Patrick.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:23 PM   #33
Banned.

Bincount™: 294

They had demos before Opiate, from about 1991 I believe.

Wether or not Maynard's Dick was written before that is up in the air...but the oldest existing recordings are of Hush, Jerk-Off, Sober, and Cold and Ugly I believe...

God bless.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maybe it's a private joke about the logo made by Cam De Leon for the demos even before Opiate was made ?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

What logo? Adam Jones I belive came up with the wrench logo if thats the one your talking about.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30

Hhhmmm... I think this song was written after they atleast gained some minor success because it makes me think of "groupies" and "goldiggers" wanting to get a piece of Maynard. You can look the song up on Youtube and they indeed were playing it during the Opiate-era though.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

That's actually a pretty good thought. I didn't think of LAMC/Maynard's Dick of anything other than a funny filler for the cd portion of Salival.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #38
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

I don't believe C.A.D. was Maynard's fist band he was in, I believe the TexA.N.S were. Then again, I'm not really sure, nor do I care.

Last edited by Esurient4Truth; 08-21-2007 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #39
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakamura View Post
TexA.N.S. was formed in 1985, but Maynard didn't sing at all (not even backup), but he played bass guitar. C.A.D. was formed in 1986, and three members from TexA.N.S. joined him, along with a new bassist. So yeah, you're right. I never said it was his first band though...
I believe he was also responsible for the drum synths in both bands - though I don't think he was "spiritually influenced" at this time.

I don't think Maynard took a spiritual direction in his music until Justin came along. That's just my opinion though.

He had an interesting beginning.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

it probably is TOOL's 1st song...either way, its kickass. Its currently my mypsace profile song.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: