Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » What's He Saying??
User Name
Password
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-09-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlycontent
it has nothing to do with Indonesia, and isnt that place Gambi?
Go back to school
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #441
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: lyrics - official thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlycontent
it has nothing to do with Indonesia, and isnt that place Gambi?
Go back to school
06-09-2006, 09:39 AM

I'm starting to buy into this lyrical persuasion:

Damn/Dim my eyes!
Damn/Dim/Jam my eyes!
Damn/Dim my eyes
If they should compromise our fulcrum-
Watching me divide me-
Then I might as well be gone!

Previously, I thought it was "want and need divide me," but "watching" continues the idea of damning/dimming/jamming ones eyes. He wishes ill upon his eyes (sending them to hell, depriving them of light, thrusting something- bases of his palms maybe- into them; or possibly any two of these, if not all three) because of their action or inaction as he (the Indonesian Sultan and Maynard at the same time) divides himself.

Note: I leave Damn and Dim in ambiguity as the similar phoenetics and meanings allow for both to apply. I add Jam to the mix of ambiguity in the second instance because there could be a "j" sound there (or it could be an emphatic "d") and jam my eyes could have an applicable meaning in this context. Until you "Jambye-"anything supporters come up with meaning to back up your alleged phoenetics, I refuse to even consider it. Good day.
But I'll pull through

Last edited by swampyfool; 06-09-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #442
Ron Swampson

Bincount™: 5576
Re: 02 - Jambi lyrics

I'm starting to buy into this lyrical persuasion:

Damn/Dim my eyes!
Damn/Dim/Jam my eyes!
Damn/Dim my eyes
If they should compromise our fulcrum-
Watching me divide me-
Then I might as well be gone!

Previously, I thought it was "want and need divide me," but "watching" continues the idea of damning/dimming/jamming ones eyes. He wishes ill upon his eyes (sending them to hell, depriving them of light, thrusting something- bases of his palms maybe- into them; or possibly any two of these, if not all three) because of their action or inaction as he (the Indonesian Sultan and Maynard at the same time) divides himself.

Note: I leave Damn and Dim in ambiguity as the similar phoenetics and meanings allow for both to apply. I add Jam to the mix of ambiguity in the second instance because there could be a "j" sound there (or it could be an emphatic "d") and jam my eyes could have an applicable meaning in this context. Until you "Jambye-"anything supporters come up with meaning to back up your alleged phoenetics, I refuse to even consider it. Good day.
But I'll pull through

Last edited by swampyfool; 06-09-2006 at 09:44 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
06-09-2006, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_run
it seems to be some variation of what had been posted earlier:

"Divided, I'm witherin' away
Divided, I'll wither away"

or "Divided and withering away"

makes more sense than "Divide and wither away"
Divided, I'm witherin' away
Divided I wither away
Old 06-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #443
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
it seems to be some variation of what had been posted earlier:

"Divided, I'm witherin' away
Divided, I'll wither away"

or "Divided and withering away"

makes more sense than "Divide and wither away"
Divided, I'm witherin' away
Divided I wither away
06-09-2006, 10:54 AM

How did you guys get to "silence legion save your poison"

I don't hear anything close to "save your poison" - I hear "say your praise and.. <next line>". Are you guys basing that off a live version or the studio?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #444
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

How did you guys get to "silence legion save your poison"

I don't hear anything close to "save your poison" - I hear "say your praise and.. <next line>". Are you guys basing that off a live version or the studio?
I Chas I's Avatar I Chas I
06-09-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reordian
THIS WHOLE *JAMBI EYES* BUSINESS IS FUCKIN ANNOYIN. Cant believe we are still at it.

Many have posted this before, so I will repeat it AGAIN: Jambi is pronounced as jom:be Follow this link, hit the icon for pronunciation http://www.webster.com/dictionary/jambi

NOBODY offered any plausible explanation as to why Jambi should be mispronounced, or actually what the fuck "Jambi eyes" would mean in the first place.

Many claim they hear a distinct J at the beginning. And that is very well possible.
Look at "Drum on grave and ground" in Vicarious.

Sounds like "J-rum on grave and ground"? Are we going to think this is another word creation and analyze it? Dont think so. The D gets splatted and comes across as a J.

Same for the Ts by the way. Listen to "tears of indigo" in The Pot. Sounds like "CHears of indigo". Same deal here. The T is splatted and becomes a CH.

promote this man
Old 06-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #445
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
THIS WHOLE *JAMBI EYES* BUSINESS IS FUCKIN ANNOYIN. Cant believe we are still at it.

Many have posted this before, so I will repeat it AGAIN: Jambi is pronounced as jom:be Follow this link, hit the icon for pronunciation http://www.webster.com/dictionary/jambi

NOBODY offered any plausible explanation as to why Jambi should be mispronounced, or actually what the fuck "Jambi eyes" would mean in the first place.

Many claim they hear a distinct J at the beginning. And that is very well possible.
Look at "Drum on grave and ground" in Vicarious.

Sounds like "J-rum on grave and ground"? Are we going to think this is another word creation and analyze it? Dont think so. The D gets splatted and comes across as a J.

Same for the Ts by the way. Listen to "tears of indigo" in The Pot. Sounds like "CHears of indigo". Same deal here. The T is splatted and becomes a CH.

promote this man
ronstancil
06-09-2006, 03:41 PM

first line is "Hear from a king's mountain view Hear from the wild dream come true"

It's "Face like a sultan I do".

It's "Treasures of flesh, never few"

Also it's "Pray like a Martyr Dusk to Dawn"

and I think it's "tempted the devil with my song"

Also, the line "In love with the dark side I've found" I believe is "In love with the dark side I fell" - makes more sense.

I think it's pronounced JAM-BYE-AYE

All IMHO of course!

Ron
Old 06-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #446
Level 1 - Lurker

Jambi lyrics

first line is "Hear from a king's mountain view Hear from the wild dream come true"

It's "Face like a sultan I do".

Also, the line "In love with the dark side I've found" I believe is "In love with the dark side I fell" - makes more sense.

I think it's pronounced JAM-BYE-AYE

All IMHO of course!

Ron
CaseLogic
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
First off, that's a HORRIBLE point. The D in drum and the D in damn are COMPLETELY phonetically different, there's no possible way a non-retarded person who speaks English would pronounce damn with a J sound at the beginning. No comparison.

However, I agree with your point that it doesn't make sense to say Jambi with "JAM" at the beginning. If it's not Jambi Eyes, then I feel like it's gotta be something like Jam my eyes.

At the same time, he doesn't even make that "j" sound in this live version I have. While that's contradictory, I don't care. I hear a "J" in the studio version.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #447
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
First off, that's a HORRIBLE point. The D in drum and the D in damn are COMPLETELY phonetically different, there's no possible way a non-retarded person who speaks English would pronounce damn with a J sound at the beginning. No comparison.

However, I agree with your point that it doesn't make sense to say Jambi with "JAM" at the beginning. If it's not Jambi Eyes, then I feel like it's gotta be something like Jam my eyes.

At the same time, he doesn't even make that "j" sound in this live version I have. While that's contradictory, I don't care. I hear a "J" in the studio version.
tangledupinblue
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM

sorry if this has been posted/asked already. is anyone confused by the lyrics in this song?

mjk is all sweetness and light (which is SO like him) throughout the song until the last two lines where he busts out with his "silence leach!" bit.

i'm not sure these lyrics are as straightforward as they seem.

yeah, so what's going on here? what's with the sudden turn at the end?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #448
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Silence leach!

sorry if this has been posted/asked already. is anyone confused by the lyrics in this song?

mjk is all sweetness and light (which is SO like him) throughout the song until the last two lines where he busts out with his "silence leach!" bit.

i'm not sure these lyrics are as straightforward as they seem.

yeah, so what's going on here? what's with the sudden turn at the end?
rembrandt_q_einstein's Avatar rembrandt_q_einstein
06-09-2006, 06:00 PM

well... i dont hear silent leach (leech?)... i hear silently
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #449
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122
Re: Silence leach!

well... i dont hear silent leach (leech?)... i hear silently
06-09-2006, 06:20 PM

you could be right. even so, dont you think these lyrics (from tdn page)

[Silent legions / Silently, just] save your poison
[Silent legions / Silently, just] stay out of my way

are very different from the rest of the song? all i'm saying is that i can't trust the supposed simpleness of the song.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #450
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

you could be right. even so, dont you think these lyrics (from tdn page)

[Silent legions / Silently, just] save your poison
[Silent legions / Silently, just] stay out of my way

are very different from the rest of the song? all i'm saying is that i can't trust the supposed simpleness of the song.
enigma00
06-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseLogic
It depends on the version. I have a live version where he does say it with a J at the beginning. But on the album it's definitely J, I agree.

But, I don't think Maynard ever sings the same thing twice, so the live versions aren't to be thought of as definitive by themselves.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #451
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
It depends on the version. I have a live version where he does say it with a J at the beginning. But on the album it's definitely J, I agree.

But, I don't think Maynard ever sings the same thing twice, so the live versions aren't to be thought of as definitive by themselves.
swampyfool's Avatar swampyfool
06-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein
leach (leech?)
No, it's Leach, like, "You shut the hell up, Robin Leach!"
But I'll pull through
Old 06-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #452
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembrandt_q_einstein
leach (leech?)
No, it's Leach, like, "You shut the hell up, Robin Leach!"
But I'll pull through
eyeshinesk
06-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Here’s my take. And it’s long, but there are a couple things I haven’t seen anyone else say.

Although I feel like I might hear a “p” or “f” sound at the beginning of the word, it makes a lot more sense if it’s “prayed like a MARTYR does till dawn.” It could be “dusk” as well, but that just makes literally no sense. I’m also as certain as I could possibly be that it’s “tempted the devil,” not “shout to,” because I can very clearly hear a “t” at the beginning, and a short “e” sound, and an “m.” Further, although there are only a few people (as far as I can tell) that disagree, every first word in this part (prayed, begged, tempted, got) are all definitely in the past tense, not present.
I’ve heard “no pressure could hold sway,” but I can very much hear a long “i” sound, indicating, to me, either “prize” or “price.” I hear it as “prize/price THAT could hold sway,” although that “that” is up for grabs.

It is definitely not “my sentence” later on. I always heard it as “center,” although the “t” is very light if there at all. It could be “sinner” or something related to that root, but there is really no “s” sound at the end of that word. I can hear the slight break between that word and the “So” of the next line.

Okay. Now the incomprehensibly controversial one. I do NOT hear “jambi” or anything like that. I really hear “damn my eyes” the first time. The second time, I might be able to hear that “j” sound at the beginning, but as hard as I try, there is absolutely no “b” sound after that “j” sound. I wanted to believe it when I originally read that lyric after numerous listens, but it’s just not there. Plus, why would he be pronouncing it like that if no one's ever heard of anything that spelling refers to that is pronounced like that? It could be "jam my eyes," although that's kinda odd wording. The third one might be “dim my eyes,” although it may just be Maynard slightly differently pronouncing the “damn,” which is definitely plausible.

Here is what I hear on the next part: “if they should compromise our fulcrum / what you need to find me / then I might as well be gone.” I know that’s not all right, ‘cause it doesn’t really make sense. I’m fairly certain it’s “fulcrum,” although I don’t know about the “our” at all. And here’s the thing about the “wanton need” or “want and need” or “watching....” that no one has pointed out yet: you can VERY clearly hear a “ch” sound in the middle of the first two syllables, and I personally hear an “uh” sound, as in “what,” rather than an “ah,” as in watching, although I’m not 100% sure on that one. But I am certain that it is NOT “want and need” or “wanton need.” On the “to find me” portion, I definitely hear a long “u” sound (without the consonant-”y” sound at the beginning) in the first syllable of that part. If it were “divide me,” there would have to be either a short or long “i” sound, depending on pronunciation, but it’s not.

I’m pretty sure it’s “divided I’m witherin’ away” twice. If it were “divided I wither away” the second time, as some have suggested, then where does that extra syllable come from after “wither”?

It’s “breathe in union,” not “pray.” I’ve listened as loud as I can, as clearly as I can, using headphones, speakers, car speakers (mine are good), anything, and it is clear as day to me that there is a long “e” sound in the first syllable. At least the first four times. The last time and the last time only, I understand how people could hear “pray,” because the music gets a lot louder and it’s harder to hear Maynard, but I think he simply pronounces it slightly differently, as happens to everyone when they speak/sing.

Swear to God, this is the last one. I distinctly hear an “s” sound, as in “silence.” And although, when I read paraflux’s interpretation and saw “legion,” I REALLY wanted to believe it, I just can’t freakin’ hear it. It’s clearly a “ch” sound in the middle of those two syllables, not a “j” sound. Which means I think it’s “leech.” So I think it’s “silence, leech, and say your poison.” For the life of me, I can’t hear a “v” sound, so it can’t be “save.” And the most obvious “unknown” for me in this song is “poison.” There is definitely an “oi/oy” sound. It sounds absolutely NOTHING like “preaching” to me.

That’s all. Finally.

Last edited by eyeshinesk; 06-10-2006 at 12:37 AM..
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #453
Level 1 - Lurker

Here’s my take. And it’s long, but there are a couple things I haven’t seen anyone else say.

Although I feel like I might hear a “p” or “f” sound at the beginning of the word, it makes a lot more sense if it’s “prayed like a MARTYR does till dawn.” It could be “dusk” as well, but that just makes literally no sense. I’m also as certain as I could possibly be that it’s “tempted the devil,” not “shout to,” because I can very clearly hear a “t” at the beginning, and a short “e” sound, and an “m.” Further, although there are only a few people (as far as I can tell) that disagree, every first word in this part (prayed, begged, tempted, got) are all definitely in the past tense, not present.
I’ve heard “no pressure could hold sway,” but I can very much hear a long “i” sound, indicating, to me, either “prize” or “price.” I hear it as “prize/price THAT could hold sway,” although that “that” is up for grabs.

It is definitely not “my sentence” later on. I always heard it as “center,” although the “t” is very light if there at all. It could be “sinner” or something related to that root, but there is really no “s” sound at the end of that word. I can hear the slight break between that word and the “So” of the next line.

Okay. Now the incomprehensibly controversial one. I do NOT hear “jambi” or anything like that. I really hear “damn my eyes” the first time. The second time, I might be able to hear that “j” sound at the beginning, but as hard as I try, there is absolutely no “b” sound after that “j” sound. I wanted to believe it when I originally read that lyric after numerous listens, but it’s just not there. Plus, why would he be pronouncing it like that if no one's ever heard of anything that spelling refers to that is pronounced like that? It could be "jam my eyes," although that's kinda odd wording. The third one might be “dim my eyes,” although it may just be Maynard slightly differently pronouncing the “damn,” which is definitely plausible.

Here is what I hear on the next part: “if they should compromise our fulcrum / what you need to find me / then I might as well be gone.” I know that’s not all right, ‘cause it doesn’t really make sense. I’m fairly certain it’s “fulcrum,” although I don’t know about the “our” at all. And here’s the thing about the “wanton need” or “want and need” or “watching....” that no one has pointed out yet: you can VERY clearly hear a “ch” sound in the middle of the first two syllables, and I personally hear an “uh” sound, as in “what,” rather than an “ah,” as in watching, although I’m not 100% sure on that one. But I am certain that it is NOT “want and need” or “wanton need.” On the “to find me” portion, I definitely hear a long “u” sound (without the consonant-”y” sound at the beginning) in the first syllable of that part. If it were “divide me,” there would have to be either a short or long “i” sound, depending on pronunciation, but it’s not.

I’m pretty sure it’s “divided I’m witherin’ away” twice. If it were “divided I wither away” the second time, as some have suggested, then where does that extra syllable come from after “wither”?

It’s “breathe in union,” not “pray.” I’ve listened as loud as I can, as clearly as I can, using headphones, speakers, car speakers (mine are good), anything, and it is clear as day to me that there is a long “e” sound in the first syllable. At least the first four times. The last time and the last time only, I understand how people could hear “pray,” because the music gets a lot louder and it’s harder to hear Maynard, but I think he simply pronounces it slightly differently, as happens to everyone when they speak/sing.

Swear to God, this is the last one. I distinctly hear an “s” sound, as in “silence.” And although, when I read paraflux’s interpretation and saw “legion,” I REALLY wanted to believe it, I just can’t freakin’ hear it. It’s clearly a “ch” sound in the middle of those two syllables, not a “j” sound. Which means I think it’s “leech.” So I think it’s “silence, leech, and say your poison.” For the life of me, I can’t hear a “v” sound, so it can’t be “save.” And the most obvious “unknown” for me in this song is “poison.” There is definitely an “oi/oy” sound. It sounds absolutely NOTHING like “preaching” to me.

That’s all. Finally.

Last edited by eyeshinesk; 06-10-2006 at 12:37 AM..
Enki
06-10-2006, 09:31 AM

I always hear:

Damn my eyes
If they should compromise
Our fulcrum
What's in need,
If I bleed,
If i might as well be gone.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #454
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I always hear:

Damn my eyes
Our fulcrum
What's in need,
If I bleed,
If i might as well be gone.
reordian
06-10-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Well, thanx for implying that i am retarded. Nice one.

Dewd - and that goes for anyone who doesnt believe this - take a mic and record yourself SCREAMING "dim my eyes" three times is a natural way, without forcing your pronounciation.

Then listen to what you recorded and pretend that you dont know what words you sang.

You will hear that the D is splatted beyond recognition and with the distortion resulting from volume, its gonna come across as an unidentifiable J-ish/D-ish sound. You will not be able to tell whether you sang DIM/DAM/DAMN or JAM.

I rest my case on this one.

I think we all agree that in those few lines there, heŽs saying "If I only believe my eyes, then I cannot see with my soul, so I rather choose to be blind, because otherwise IŽd be a superficial no-good clown who deserves to be taken out of this life".

So why would he curse his eyes saying "damn my eyes"? That wouldnt help someone who realizes his eyes are feeding him an image he doesnt want to see. Saying "Fuck my eyes!" doesnt stop his eyes from seeing.

Why sould he say "jam my eyes"? Jam them where? Wide open? Semi open? Semi closed? All closed? Maybe "jam my eyes shut"? But thatŽs not what he sings, is it.

Why should he exclaim "dam my eves"? As in, grow me thick-ass skin between my nose and my eyebrows so I cant see shit? Dont think so.

So what sould it be? To me, its clear as day - 3x dim my eyes.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #455
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Well, thanx for implying that i am retarded. Nice one.

Dewd - and that goes for anyone who doesnt believe this - take a mic and record yourself SCREAMING "dim my eyes" three times is a natural way, without forcing your pronounciation.

Then listen to what you recorded and pretend that you dont know what words you sang.

You will hear that the D is splatted beyond recognition and with the distortion resulting from volume, its gonna come across as an unidentifiable J-ish/D-ish sound. You will not be able to tell whether you sang DIM/DAM/DAMN or JAM.

I rest my case on this one.

I think we all agree that in those few lines there, heŽs saying "If I only believe my eyes, then I cannot see with my soul, so I rather choose to be blind, because otherwise IŽd be a superficial no-good clown who deserves to be taken out of this life".

So why would he curse his eyes saying "damn my eyes"? That wouldnt help someone who realizes his eyes are feeding him an image he doesnt want to see. Saying "Fuck my eyes!" doesnt stop his eyes from seeing.

Why sould he say "jam my eyes"? Jam them where? Wide open? Semi open? Semi closed? All closed? Maybe "jam my eyes shut"? But thatŽs not what he sings, is it.

Why should he exclaim "dam my eves"? As in, grow me thick-ass skin between my nose and my eyebrows so I cant see shit? Dont think so.

So what sould it be? To me, its clear as day - 3x dim my eyes.
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-10-2006, 11:33 AM

I didn't read your whole post reordian but I agree a thousand times on "clear as day - 3x dim my eyes". The J sound comes from d-i.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #456
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

I didn't read your whole post reordian but I agree a thousand times on "clear as day - 3x dim my eyes". The J sound comes from d-i.
BeaArthursCrank
06-10-2006, 12:46 PM

My 2 cents:

I hear "Dim my eyes" (metaphor for kill me). Like if you told someone, "If I ever buy a Fallout Boy album, dim my eyes". I think it fits well w/ "then I might as well be gone" after that.

I also hear "Silently, just take your place and Silently just stay out of my way". I just imagine a king and a prince when I hear this song. King would give up all he had for his son, but son my not be patient. Last line is what I imagine king telling him after he gets angry w/ him for his impatience.

Who knows. This why I love Tool.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #457
Level 1 - Lurker

My 2 cents:

I hear "Dim my eyes" (metaphor for kill me). Like if you told someone, "If I ever buy a Fallout Boy album, dim my eyes". I think it fits well w/ "then I might as well be gone" after that.

I also hear "Silently, just take your place and Silently just stay out of my way". I just imagine a king and a prince when I hear this song. King would give up all he had for his son, but son my not be patient. Last line is what I imagine king telling him after he gets angry w/ him for his impatience.

Who knows. This why I love Tool.
06-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeshinesk
Although I feel like I might hear a “p” or “f” sound at the beginning of the word, it makes a lot more sense if it’s “prayed like a MARTYR does till dawn.” It could be “dusk” as well, but that just makes literally no sense.
Why doesn't "dusk 'til dawn" make sense? I've heard that a million times. It means all night long . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 06-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #458
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeshinesk
Although I feel like I might hear a “p” or “f” sound at the beginning of the word, it makes a lot more sense if it’s “prayed like a MARTYR does till dawn.” It could be “dusk” as well, but that just makes literally no sense.
Why doesn't "dusk 'til dawn" make sense? I've heard that a million times. It means all night long . . .
But I'll pull through
I Chas I's Avatar I Chas I
06-10-2006, 06:29 PM

Dim/Damn my eyes
Dim/Damn my eyes
DIM my eyes if they should comprimise the fulcrum want and need, divide me then i might as well be gone.

Live at coachella
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GTDvTYYex...h=jambi%20live

Last edited by I Chas I; 06-10-2006 at 06:47 PM..
Old 06-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #459
Level 4 - Thinker

Dim/Damn my eyes
Dim/Damn my eyes
DIM my eyes if they should comprimise the fulcrum want and need, divide me then i might as well be gone.

Live at coachella
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GTDvTYYex...h=jambi%20live

Last edited by I Chas I; 06-10-2006 at 06:47 PM..
Terry21's Avatar Terry21
06-11-2006, 06:22 AM

I hear "dusk to dawn".
Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 AM   #460
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 60

I hear "dusk to dawn".
JOK3R
06-11-2006, 02:01 PM

pretty sure its "dusk til dawn"

and also i don't know if it's been said before but does anyone else hear "breed in union" instead of "breathe in union" i hear both tho so maybe alternating them when he says it???
Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #461
On Probation

pretty sure its "dusk til dawn"

and also i don't know if it's been said before but does anyone else hear "breed in union" instead of "breathe in union" i hear both tho so maybe alternating them when he says it???
moneyisevil's Avatar moneyisevil
06-11-2006, 02:03 PM

PRAYED LIKE MARTYR DUSK TILL DAWN

AND ITS BREATHE IN UNION

AND ITS DIM MY EYES NOT DAMN MY EYES

PPL LISTEN TO A BOOTLEG
Old 06-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #462
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

PRAYED LIKE MARTYR DUSK TILL DAWN

AND ITS BREATHE IN UNION

AND ITS DIM MY EYES NOT DAMN MY EYES

PPL LISTEN TO A BOOTLEG
06-11-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyisevil
PPL LISTEN TO A BOOTLEG
Yeah, because bootlegs have impeccable sound quality, everybody knows that . . .
But I'll pull through
Old 06-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #463
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyisevil
PPL LISTEN TO A BOOTLEG
Yeah, because bootlegs have impeccable sound quality, everybody knows that . . .
But I'll pull through
A Spirit of Radio's Avatar A Spirit of Radio
06-11-2006, 02:59 PM

dim my eyes. it makes beautiful poetic sense.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #464
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 14

dim my eyes. it makes beautiful poetic sense.
06-12-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
Hey guys how bout this twist instead of benevolent sun he is saying forever in soul.

??
Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #465
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00LHEAD
Hey guys how bout this twist instead of benevolent sun he is saying forever in soul.

??
06-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstancil

It's "Face like a sultan I do". <--Um, WRONG....it's feast like a sultan, Face makes no sense at all

Also, the line "In love with the dark side I've found" I believe is "In love with the dark side I fell" - makes more sense. <---also WRONG, "In love with the dark side I'd found"

I think it's pronounced JAM-BYE-AYE <---AGAIN, this has been reiterated a million fucking times...the word is pronounced muh-fuckin "jom-bee"

All IMHO of course!

Ron
Edit above
Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #466
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Re: Jambi lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstancil

It's "Face like a sultan I do". <--Um, WRONG....it's feast like a sultan, Face makes no sense at all

Also, the line "In love with the dark side I've found" I believe is "In love with the dark side I fell" - makes more sense. <---also WRONG, "In love with the dark side I'd found"

I think it's pronounced JAM-BYE-AYE <---AGAIN, this has been reiterated a million fucking times...the word is pronounced muh-fuckin "jom-bee"

All IMHO of course!

Ron
Edit above
06-12-2006, 09:48 AM

This record has so much, lyrically to do with what MJk has went through in the past 4 to 5 years. His Judith and things and such.....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #467
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

This record has so much, lyrically to do with what MJk has went through in the past 4 to 5 years. His Judith and things and such.....
06-12-2006, 11:05 AM

Jambi

Hid from the king's mountain view
Here from the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do
On treasures and flesh never few

But I, I would wish it all away
If I, thought I'd lose you just one day

The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round

So I, I, I, I, I would, I Would, I Would wish this all away

Pray like a martyr dusk to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No pressure could hold sway
Or justify my
Kneeling away, my sinner

So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away

You're my piece of mind,
my all
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Dim my eyes
Jam-bi-eye
Damn my eyes
A fulcrum
Want and need
If I leave it
Then I might as well be gone...

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the broken
Shine on 'til the two become one

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed

Divide and wither away
Divide and wither away

Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just save your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way
Old 06-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #468
dorkus maximus
(the t.d.n crybaby)

Bincount™: 832

Jambi

Hid from the king's mountain view
Here from the wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan, I do
On treasures and flesh never few

But I, I would wish it all away
If I, thought I'd lose you just one day

The devil and his had me down
In love with the dark side I've found
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me
Lifted me up, turned me round

So I, I, I, I, I would, I Would, I Would wish this all away

Pray like a martyr dusk to dawn
Beg like a hooker all night long
Shout to the devil with my song
And got what I wanted all along

But I
I would
If I could
I would
Wish it away
Wish it away
Wish it all away
Wanna wish it all away
No pressure could hold sway
Or justify my
Kneeling away, my sinner

So if I could I'd wish it all away
If I thought tomorrow, they'd take you away

You're my piece of mind,
my all
I said I'm just trying to hold on
One more day

Dim my eyes
Jam-bi-eye
Damn my eyes
A fulcrum
Want and need
If I leave it
Then I might as well be gone...

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the broken

Shine on forever
Shine on benevolent sun
Shine down upon the severed

Divide and wither away
Divide and wither away

Shine down upon the many, light our way,
Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union

So, as one, survive
Another day and season
Silently, just save your poison
Silently, just stay out of my way
zsw
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Why do I feel badly for thinking this is so obvious? The line is "damn my eyes, Jambi." The name Jambi has a hard "i" and is pronounced Jambaye. Maynard has a history of using one word that sounds like a another, or group of other words together. This would be one such example.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #469
zsw
Level 2 - Poster

Why do I feel badly for thinking this is so obvious? The line is "damn my eyes, Jambi." The name Jambi has a hard "i" and is pronounced Jambaye. Maynard has a history of using one word that sounds like a another, or group of other words together. This would be one such example.
06-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsw
OK. Your turn.

Have you looked up Jambi?
Try this one.
Or this one (click the audio link).
Your point about Maynard using words with duplicitous pronunciations and meanings is 100% valid, but I don't think it applies here. There is no other meaning for Jambi, and given that the lyrics of the song coincide with the actual history of provincial Jambi, there is no basis for a cooky mispronunciation.

You shouldn't feel badly because it's obvious; you should feel badly because it's flat-out incorrect.

Peace.
But I'll pull through
Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #470
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsw
OK. Your turn.

Have you looked up Jambi?
Try this one.
Or this one (click the audio link).
Your point about Maynard using words with duplicitous pronunciations and meanings is 100% valid, but I don't think it applies here. There is no other meaning for Jambi, and given that the lyrics of the song coincide with the actual history of provincial Jambi, there is no basis for a cooky mispronunciation.

You shouldn't feel badly because it's obvious; you should feel badly because it's flat-out incorrect.

Peace.
But I'll pull through
Erowyn's Avatar Erowyn
06-12-2006, 08:40 PM

ITS SILENCE LEGIONS follow along with the Devil and his had me down he is telling the devil's minions to leave him alone... save their poisons and stay out of his way
Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #471
Level 3 - Talker

ITS SILENCE LEGIONS follow along with the Devil and his had me down he is telling the devil's minions to leave him alone... save their poisons and stay out of his way
06-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Wouldn't "Tempted the devil with my soul, and got what I wanted all along" make more sense?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #472
Level 4 - Thinker

Wouldn't "Tempted the devil with my soul, and got what I wanted all along" make more sense?
06-12-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe, except that portion of the verse seems to be constructed in rhyme, and "my soul" does not rhyme with "along."
But I'll pull through
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #473
Ron Swampson

Quote:
Maybe, except that portion of the verse seems to be constructed in rhyme, and "my soul" does not rhyme with "along."
But I'll pull through
Spear
06-12-2006, 10:05 PM

Ok just some suggestions I do feel everyone is getting there. here is my opinion...
*Here from
then
*Hid from

*Tempted the Devil with my song

*...or justify my kneeling away my sentence

*Your my peace of mind, my OHM (ohm is the sound made during medation, it is a sound of calm and collected awareness...it is the focus while medatating), my saturn, just trying to hold on one more day

*DIM my eyes....(yes it is DIM!!! everytime...dim)

*...if they should compromise our fulcrum. Wants and needs devide me, then I might as well be gone.

*benevolent SUN

*Breathe in union

*so as one survive another day in season. Silient legions save your precious silience. Legions stay out of my way

I feel very strongly about this last one. I believe thats what it says Ive seem several suggestions on the last part, but I feel this is correct. Let me know what you think.
PEACE
Old 06-12-2006, 10:05 PM   #474
Level 2 - Poster

Ok just some suggestions I do feel everyone is getting there. here is my opinion...
*Here from
then
*Hid from

*Your my peace of mind, my OHM (ohm is the sound made during medation, it is a sound of calm and collected awareness...it is the focus while medatating), my saturn, just trying to hold on one more day

*...if they should compromise our fulcrum. Wants and needs devide me, then I might as well be gone.

*benevolent SUN

*Breathe in union

*so as one survive another day in season. Silient legions save your precious silience. Legions stay out of my way

I feel very strongly about this last one. I believe thats what it says Ive seem several suggestions on the last part, but I feel this is correct. Let me know what you think.
PEACE
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
06-13-2006, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
*Here from
then
*Hid from

*benevolent SUN

*Breathe in union

PEACE

I have no idea how anyone can hear the "oyz" sound as "resh", nor do I believe Maynard would write something as nonsensical as telling someone to be silent, then tell them to save their silence.

It's what is in my sig, how people are hearing anything other than that is beyond me.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:10 AM   #475
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear
*Here from
then
*Hid from

*benevolent SUN

*Breathe in union

PEACE

I have no idea how anyone can hear the "oyz" sound as "resh", nor do I believe Maynard would write something as nonsensical as telling someone to be silent, then tell them to save their silence.

It's what is in my sig, how people are hearing anything other than that is beyond me.
06-13-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara

He isnt telling then to be silent then save their silence. SILENT legion is a title, an adj. We all know Maynard has no patience for people that dont speak for themselves, nor does he appreciate passive aggressive bullshit.

Also, I dont know how anyone can hear "oyze" instead of "chus"...it is so painfully obvious...i dont understand how anyone hears "poison".

but thanks for sharing your opinon
Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #476
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muladhara

He isnt telling then to be silent then save their silence. SILENT legion is a title, an adj. We all know Maynard has no patience for people that dont speak for themselves, nor does he appreciate passive aggressive bullshit.

Also, I dont know how anyone can hear "oyze" instead of "chus"...it is so painfully obvious...i dont understand how anyone hears "poison".

but thanks for sharing your opinon
telder
06-13-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
so you all think it is Damn My Eyes, not Jam-bi ?
I hear a "B" and you know something that we don't.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #477
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
so you all think it is Damn My Eyes, not Jam-bi ?
I hear a "B" and you know something that we don't.
06-13-2006, 07:25 AM

Isn't this fun? Pretending that our opinions really matter? That anyone actualy gives a shit?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #478
Level 3 - Talker

Isn't this fun? Pretending that our opinions really matter? That anyone actualy gives a shit?
telder
06-13-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
i was totally sure that the line which is being so heavily disputed was "damn my eyes" and not either of the other two (or three, now) that are being tossed around ("dim my eyes," "jambi (eyes)," or "jam my eyes").. i'm still sure it's not the last 2, but a friend of mine who knows a lot more about judeo-christian mythos than i do told me that when moishe (moses to the goyim) was on mt sinai or wherever, receiving the ten commandments, and he asked YHVH to reveal himself he said "dim my eyes lord, so that i may witness your glory" or something to that effect.. so now i'm not so firmly against "dim my eyes"

but still, it's either "damn my eyes" or 'dim my eyes" or both, but anybody who thinks it's "jambi" or "jam my" needs to take a chisel to their ears. i'm super cereal.
Well, explain the "b." It is there. You cannot ignore it. Maybe he was attempting to say damn my, said jam-buy, thought it rocked, and named the song jambi just to fuck with all of us. I refuse to think that the song titles always have to have some underlying meaning. I'm not trying to take anything anyway from Tools' intellect. I'm giving them credit for their sarcasm. I know. I'm probably wrong. I almost can't deal with this topic anymore.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #479
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
i was totally sure that the line which is being so heavily disputed was "damn my eyes" and not either of the other two (or three, now) that are being tossed around ("dim my eyes," "jambi (eyes)," or "jam my eyes").. i'm still sure it's not the last 2, but a friend of mine who knows a lot more about judeo-christian mythos than i do told me that when moishe (moses to the goyim) was on mt sinai or wherever, receiving the ten commandments, and he asked YHVH to reveal himself he said "dim my eyes lord, so that i may witness your glory" or something to that effect.. so now i'm not so firmly against "dim my eyes"

but still, it's either "damn my eyes" or 'dim my eyes" or both, but anybody who thinks it's "jambi" or "jam my" needs to take a chisel to their ears. i'm super cereal.
Well, explain the "b." It is there. You cannot ignore it. Maybe he was attempting to say damn my, said jam-buy, thought it rocked, and named the song jambi just to fuck with all of us. I refuse to think that the song titles always have to have some underlying meaning. I'm not trying to take anything anyway from Tools' intellect. I'm giving them credit for their sarcasm. I know. I'm probably wrong. I almost can't deal with this topic anymore.
06-13-2006, 08:13 AM

No one else thinks the end he says "say your praise and..." instead of "save your poison"?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:13 AM   #480
Level 7 - Loquacious

No one else thinks the end he says "say your praise and..." instead of "save your poison"?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply