Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
tollll12
04-21-2006, 12:07 AM

More and more I think the leak is fake. I think the tracks, other than Vicarious, that were release were b-sides that existed before they began production on the album that will be released on May 2nd. I have collected a lot of evidence and here it is in as concise a format as I can get it in order to most evident to least:

1. In the September 2005 newsletter Blair wrote: "Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design." Read it for yourself http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

2. Here is a clip from a 2002 show that you can clearly hear the intro to Wings to Marie http://download.yousendit.com/D2F68E5C3AAE87EE -- from this it's evident that at least one track has existed for quite a while.

3. Listen to Vicarious (which I think is a legit track from the new album), listen to the drum that sounds like an alarm at about 40 seconds into the song. It's an electronic drum right? So what, Danny has lots of them. Well what is special about this drum is that it's his new drum, he didn't have it on any of the previous albums. It was made exlusively for him (other people can now buy it). The difference between this and his other drums is that it can be configured to make a louder sound the harder you hit it. That is why he is able to make that alarm sound gradually grow louder. On his other electronic drums it doesn't matter how hard you hit them, they make the same sound. Now, you say, so what? Well go to the website for the drum (http://synesthesiacorp.com/home.html) and click "endorsees". You will see a picture of Danny and a line that says "listen for Mandalas [the name of the drum] all over Tool's upcoming release 10,000 days." well I have listend all over 10,000 days, and guess what? Vicarious is the only song where this drum appears. There are spots with other electonic sounds, but nothing he hasn't done before - nothing like the alarm sound on Vicarious. Why would Danny work with this company to design a drum that he only uses in one song? Why does the site say "look for it all over 10,000 days" when it's in only one song? Because these leaked songs existed before Danny had the drum.

4. Listen to The Pot. Get past the begining where Maynard sounds like Madonna. Now listen to his voice. That voice is what his voice sounded like 10 years ago - it does not sound like that anymore because he has gotten older. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor. Listen to how hard it is. Listen to how he slaps it. Justin doesn't play like that. Listen to a few songs on Undertow and then a few on Lateralus (or just listen to Vicarious) there is a big difference in the way the base guitar is played on both of those albums (don't listen to AEnima - both Justin and Paul played on it). The difference in style in the way the base is played in The Pot and Vicarious is striking. It's obvious that The Pot has existed for a long time.

6. This reason is weak since I don't have a source, but I remember reading an interview in drummer's world or something with Danny Carey, and he mentioned that they had enough material left over from Lateralus to make another album.

5. - This one is notedly weak, and people disagree with me on it, and that's fine, but I think it's valid.... The lyrics suck. Perhaps suck is the wrong word. I think Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious, but it's more along the lines of Maynard's Dick, which was a hidden track. I don't think Tool would ever release something that non-sensical - ditto on The Pot. As for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days, I know the song is about his mother, but the lyrics are way to christian for me - they are from the guy who wrote "Fuck your God, your lord, your Christ.", "praise the one who left you broken down and paralized, he did it all for you","deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow", "you showed us you weren't affraid to die, well so long." etc. etc. It seems odd now that we get, "i have come home now fetch me the spirit the son, and the father tell them their pillar of faith has ascended it's time now, my time now
give me my, give me my, wings" I know it's about his mom - but he did write the song Judith, which made me blush when I found out that was his mom's name... maybe he felt bad after she died.

Well, that's what I've got. Honestly I was quite dissapointed when I heard this album the first time. I read an interview with either Justin or Adam that said they wanted to try something different on this album, perhaps make it into the next Wall. And he said that they were the only band out now that could do that. He is right, they are the only band that could do something that monumental, and this leaked album is not it. After I had put this evidence together and convinced myself that this album wasn't real, I started to enjoy the songs. I am happy that Tool has given it's eager fans something to listen to. And I am doubly excited that we get the real deal on may 2nd.

What do you all think... let the name calling commence.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
Fake: a more concise look

More and more I think the leak is fake. I think the tracks, other than Vicarious, that were release were b-sides that existed before they began production on the album that will be released on May 2nd. I have collected a lot of evidence and here it is in as concise a format as I can get it in order to most evident to least:

1. In the September 2005 newsletter Blair wrote: "Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design." Read it for yourself http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

2. Here is a clip from a 2002 show that you can clearly hear the intro to Wings to Marie http://download.yousendit.com/D2F68E5C3AAE87EE -- from this it's evident that at least one track has existed for quite a while.

3. Listen to Vicarious (which I think is a legit track from the new album), listen to the drum that sounds like an alarm at about 40 seconds into the song. It's an electronic drum right? So what, Danny has lots of them. Well what is special about this drum is that it's his new drum, he didn't have it on any of the previous albums. It was made exlusively for him (other people can now buy it). The difference between this and his other drums is that it can be configured to make a louder sound the harder you hit it. That is why he is able to make that alarm sound gradually grow louder. On his other electronic drums it doesn't matter how hard you hit them, they make the same sound. Now, you say, so what? Well go to the website for the drum (http://synesthesiacorp.com/home.html) and click "endorsees". You will see a picture of Danny and a line that says "listen for Mandalas [the name of the drum] all over Tool's upcoming release 10,000 days." well I have listend all over 10,000 days, and guess what? Vicarious is the only song where this drum appears. There are spots with other electonic sounds, but nothing he hasn't done before - nothing like the alarm sound on Vicarious. Why would Danny work with this company to design a drum that he only uses in one song? Why does the site say "look for it all over 10,000 days" when it's in only one song? Because these leaked songs existed before Danny had the drum.

4. Listen to The Pot. Get past the begining where Maynard sounds like Madonna. Now listen to his voice. That voice is what his voice sounded like 10 years ago - it does not sound like that anymore because he has gotten older. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor. Listen to how hard it is. Listen to how he slaps it. Justin doesn't play like that. Listen to a few songs on Undertow and then a few on Lateralus (or just listen to Vicarious) there is a big difference in the way the base guitar is played on both of those albums (don't listen to AEnima - both Justin and Paul played on it). The difference in style in the way the base is played in The Pot and Vicarious is striking. It's obvious that The Pot has existed for a long time.

6. This reason is weak since I don't have a source, but I remember reading an interview in drummer's world or something with Danny Carey, and he mentioned that they had enough material left over from Lateralus to make another album.

5. - This one is notedly weak, and people disagree with me on it, and that's fine, but I think it's valid.... The lyrics suck. Perhaps suck is the wrong word. I think Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious, but it's more along the lines of Maynard's Dick, which was a hidden track. I don't think Tool would ever release something that non-sensical - ditto on The Pot. As for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days, I know the song is about his mother, but the lyrics are way to christian for me - they are from the guy who wrote "Fuck your God, your lord, your Christ.", "praise the one who left you broken down and paralized, he did it all for you","deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow", "you showed us you weren't affraid to die, well so long." etc. etc. It seems odd now that we get, "i have come home now fetch me the spirit the son, and the father tell them their pillar of faith has ascended it's time now, my time now
give me my, give me my, wings" I know it's about his mom - but he did write the song Judith, which made me blush when I found out that was his mom's name... maybe he felt bad after she died.

Well, that's what I've got. Honestly I was quite dissapointed when I heard this album the first time. I read an interview with either Justin or Adam that said they wanted to try something different on this album, perhaps make it into the next Wall. And he said that they were the only band out now that could do that. He is right, they are the only band that could do something that monumental, and this leaked album is not it. After I had put this evidence together and convinced myself that this album wasn't real, I started to enjoy the songs. I am happy that Tool has given it's eager fans something to listen to. And I am doubly excited that we get the real deal on may 2nd.

What do you all think... let the name calling commence.
OFFLINE |  
TuralyonW3
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM

That's Justin playing during the pot
Old 04-21-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Fake: a more concise look

That's Justin playing during the pot
OFFLINE |  
tollll12
04-21-2006, 12:19 AM

You are hearing his tabla, he started using that during the AEnima tour, and used it quite a bit on Lateralus. It is a traditional indian drum (indian dot, not indian feather), and is by no means electronic.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #3

You are hearing his tabla, he started using that during the AEnima tour, and used it quite a bit on Lateralus. It is a traditional indian drum (indian dot, not indian feather), and is by no means electronic.
OFFLINE |  
tollll12
04-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Oh ok, I see what you are talking about on intension. Those sounds could be produced by his regular synth drumbs.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #4

Oh ok, I see what you are talking about on intension. Those sounds could be produced by his regular synth drumbs.
OFFLINE |  
Echo Flanger
04-21-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollll12
Yes, The newsletters were always really serious and all...
Quote:
I just posted this in another thread. What if they wrote that riff just after Lateralus came out and started to jam on it at shows, and then recorded it? Why can't they do that? They don't need to record a riff to play it live.
Quote:
3. Listen to Vicarious (which I think is a legit track from the new album), listen to the drum that sounds like an alarm at about 40 seconds into the song. It's an electronic drum right? So what, Danny has lots of them. Well what is special about this drum is that it's his new drum, he didn't have it on any of the previous albums. It was made exlusively for him (other people can now buy it). The difference between this and his other drums is that it can be configured to make a louder sound the harder you hit it.
What, dynamic drum triggers haven't been out before this? Come on!

Quote:
4. Listen to The Pot. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor.
To me it sounded like Justin.
Quote:
Which doesn't prove anything...even though they would have re-recorded old riffs, that doesn't prove the leak is a hoax. As an example, Slipknot reused two songs from their 1996 album Mate Feed Kill Repeat on Iowa, 2001. Kurt Cobain had written half of In Utero (1993) before the year 1992.

I don't know what to think. I haven't listened to the album in its fullness because I've been in a great hurry lately, but I just don't believe all the arguements people use.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Yes, The newsletters were always really serious and all...
Quote:
I just posted this in another thread. What if they wrote that riff just after Lateralus came out and started to jam on it at shows, and then recorded it? Why can't they do that? They don't need to record a riff to play it live.
Quote:
3. Listen to Vicarious (which I think is a legit track from the new album), listen to the drum that sounds like an alarm at about 40 seconds into the song. It's an electronic drum right? So what, Danny has lots of them. Well what is special about this drum is that it's his new drum, he didn't have it on any of the previous albums. It was made exlusively for him (other people can now buy it). The difference between this and his other drums is that it can be configured to make a louder sound the harder you hit it.
What, dynamic drum triggers haven't been out before this? Come on!

Quote:
4. Listen to The Pot. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor.
To me it sounded like Justin.
Quote:
Which doesn't prove anything...even though they would have re-recorded old riffs, that doesn't prove the leak is a hoax. As an example, Slipknot reused two songs from their 1996 album Mate Feed Kill Repeat on Iowa, 2001. Kurt Cobain had written half of In Utero (1993) before the year 1992.

I don't know what to think. I haven't listened to the album in its fullness because I've been in a great hurry lately, but I just don't believe all the arguements people use.
04-21-2006, 12:26 AM

Listen to Sober and switch quick to The Pot - it's the same base
Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 AM   #6

Listen to Sober and switch quick to The Pot - it's the same base
OFFLINE |  
Drozz's Avatar Drozz
04-21-2006, 12:28 AM

What the hell is a "base guitar"?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
Suicide Booth ID: 17

Bincount™: 1891

What the hell is a "base guitar"?
04-21-2006, 12:30 AM

its spelled bass dude.

Anyway, i want to believe. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155

its spelled bass dude.

Anyway, i want to believe. I WANT TO BELIEVE.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
tollll12
04-21-2006, 12:30 AM

sorry bass... love the name calling - am I a retard too?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #9

OFFLINE |  
Drozz's Avatar Drozz
04-21-2006, 12:31 AM

Name calling?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #10

Name calling?
04-21-2006, 12:40 AM

ok did I miss something here?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #11

ok did I miss something here?
04-21-2006, 01:00 AM

Drozz, seriously, keep it civil, this is a community.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Drozz, seriously, keep it civil, this is a community.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
Drozz's Avatar Drozz
04-21-2006, 01:02 AM

You people are freaking me out
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #13

You people are freaking me out
04-21-2006, 01:04 AM

I don't know how to read
Old 04-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #14

I don't know how to read
04-21-2006, 01:07 AM

I have a dog that reads my thoughts and types what I think
Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #15

I have a dog that reads my thoughts and types what I think
04-21-2006, 01:10 AM

Your dog should've known better than to post such an ad hominem

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #16
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Your dog should've known better than to post such an ad hominem

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |  
Vicenza's Avatar Vicenza
04-21-2006, 01:33 AM

i am so down with this theory. the first thing that hit me, aside from the whole mish mesh of music on one album (which is so drastic it would be the first ever that i can recall for a band of Tool's stature) is how Maynard's voice get's ridiculously HIGH (no pun intended) on The Pot. I almost went to look for my Undertow CD to see if I'd missed that track cause' it sounds, voice, drum, and especially, yes, BASS (not base) wise, like it fell from that album.

Look, some of these songs are pretty good (read: Jambi, The Pot) but to me that only shows how incredible these guys are at creating music, where even on the outakes they can kick absolute ass. Secondly, to all those offended at this theory because so many songs seem to be about Maynard's mother....i say, come on. If this album proves to be a decoy, it doesn't denigrate the inherent quality or purpose of any of the songs. If they rock, they rock, and Tool wanted us to have them.

So yes, ultimately, they'll decide what gets put out or not at what time. To me, it makes perfect sense to put out some good (not all great) older, b-side tracks to keep the fanboys busy for a couple of weeks, and then, at a later date, come out with the real (recent) tracks they've worked so hard to bring us. This way they can protect their songs from being stolen on the internet pre-release as most albums are nowadays unfortunately.

There are some good tracks to enjoy on this album, I won't disagree there. But there seems to be something missing. So I cannot wait to be proven right or wrong on May 2nd, as long as I can be certain of what's in front of us.

Last edited by Vicenza; 04-21-2006 at 07:05 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i am so down with this theory. the first thing that hit me, aside from the whole mish mesh of music on one album (which is so drastic it would be the first ever that i can recall for a band of Tool's stature) is how Maynard's voice get's ridiculously HIGH (no pun intended) on The Pot. I almost went to look for my Undertow CD to see if I'd missed that track cause' it sounds, voice, drum, and especially, yes, BASS (not base) wise, like it fell from that album.

Look, some of these songs are pretty good (read: Jambi, The Pot) but to me that only shows how incredible these guys are at creating music, where even on the outakes they can kick absolute ass. Secondly, to all those offended at this theory because so many songs seem to be about Maynard's mother....i say, come on. If this album proves to be a decoy, it doesn't denigrate the inherent quality or purpose of any of the songs. If they rock, they rock, and Tool wanted us to have them.

So yes, ultimately, they'll decide what gets put out or not at what time. To me, it makes perfect sense to put out some good (not all great) older, b-side tracks to keep the fanboys busy for a couple of weeks, and then, at a later date, come out with the real (recent) tracks they've worked so hard to bring us. This way they can protect their songs from being stolen on the internet pre-release as most albums are nowadays unfortunately.

There are some good tracks to enjoy on this album, I won't disagree there. But there seems to be something missing. So I cannot wait to be proven right or wrong on May 2nd, as long as I can be certain of what's in front of us.

Last edited by Vicenza; 04-21-2006 at 07:05 AM..
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-21-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicenza
Good post mate. I echo your feelings. Fingers crossed and stuff.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicenza
Good post mate. I echo your feelings. Fingers crossed and stuff.
04-21-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:

4. Listen to The Pot. Get past the begining where Maynard sounds like Madonna. Now listen to his voice. That voice is what his voice sounded like 10 years ago - it does not sound like that anymore because he has gotten older. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor. Listen to how hard it is. Listen to how he slaps it. Justin doesn't play like that. Listen to a few songs on Undertow and then a few on Lateralus (or just listen to Vicarious) there is a big difference in the way the base guitar is played on both of those albums (don't listen to AEnima - both Justin and Paul played on it). The difference in style in the way the base is played in The Pot and Vicarious is striking. It's obvious that The Pot has existed for a long time..
I'd have to disagree here. The style of the song is very similar to their earlier work, and MAY have been written long ago, but this The Pot was certainly recorded recently. The quality of the track makes that clear. Listen to the tracks from Undertow, or even Aenima, and how they were recorded - The Pot is much more crisper quality, and sounds to me like it was recorded very recently.

your line about maynard soundling like madonna made me loller

- G.K Chesterton

http://www.myspace.com/andrewsthilaire

Last edited by Vianney; 04-21-2006 at 02:39 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 13

Quote:

4. Listen to The Pot. Get past the begining where Maynard sounds like Madonna. Now listen to his voice. That voice is what his voice sounded like 10 years ago - it does not sound like that anymore because he has gotten older. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor. Listen to how hard it is. Listen to how he slaps it. Justin doesn't play like that. Listen to a few songs on Undertow and then a few on Lateralus (or just listen to Vicarious) there is a big difference in the way the base guitar is played on both of those albums (don't listen to AEnima - both Justin and Paul played on it). The difference in style in the way the base is played in The Pot and Vicarious is striking. It's obvious that The Pot has existed for a long time..
I'd have to disagree here. The style of the song is very similar to their earlier work, and MAY have been written long ago, but this The Pot was certainly recorded recently. The quality of the track makes that clear. Listen to the tracks from Undertow, or even Aenima, and how they were recorded - The Pot is much more crisper quality, and sounds to me like it was recorded very recently.

- G.K Chesterton

Last edited by Vianney; 04-21-2006 at 02:39 AM..
OFFLINE |  
neurosis79
04-21-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vianney
I'd have to disagree here. The style of the song is very similar to their earlier work, and MAY have been written long ago, but this The Pot was certainly recorded recently. The quality of the track makes that clear. Listen to the tracks from Undertown, or even Aenima, and how they were recorded - The Pot is much more crisper quality, and sounds to me like it was recorded very recently.

I totally agree on the sound quality. And Maynards voice is pitched. And he really didnt sing that great on Opiate/Undertow. Not this good.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:35 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I'd have to disagree here. The style of the song is very similar to their earlier work, and MAY have been written long ago, but this The Pot was certainly recorded recently. The quality of the track makes that clear. Listen to the tracks from Undertown, or even Aenima, and how they were recorded - The Pot is much more crisper quality, and sounds to me like it was recorded very recently.

I totally agree on the sound quality. And Maynards voice is pitched. And he really didnt sing that great on Opiate/Undertow. Not this good.
OFFLINE |  
Vianney's Avatar Vianney
04-21-2006, 02:42 AM

Another thing you might consider adding to the list is about Adam's guitar solos. From all the reviews and interviews, I practically got the impression he was playing blues scales, bending strings, etc. But from the solos on the leak, they sound no different from any other guitar solo he's done in the past

I know Maynard is getting older, but his vocals on the leak seem to be rather lower pitched than previous albums - which, say this leak is not intended to be Tools new masterpeice, but something like a bsides, leftovers, kind of album, perhaps he saved his voice for the real album.

All and all, I am set either way. The leak is certainly growing on me with every listen, and there are parts i'm in love with. At the same time, something seems missing, and the songs at parts seem too redundant, or predictable, as if they wrote it in twenty mintues. Being the amazing musicians that they are, I wouldn't put something like this past them - to make a decoy, that sounds believable.

I would openly welcome another album on top of this one

- G.K Chesterton

Last edited by Vianney; 04-21-2006 at 02:50 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 02:42 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Another thing you might consider adding to the list is about Adam's guitar solos. From all the reviews and interviews, I practically got the impression he was playing blues scales, bending strings, etc. But from the solos on the leak, they sound no different from any other guitar solo he's done in the past

I know Maynard is getting older, but his vocals on the leak seem to be rather lower pitched than previous albums - which, say this leak is not intended to be Tools new masterpeice, but something like a bsides, leftovers, kind of album, perhaps he saved his voice for the real album.

All and all, I am set either way. The leak is certainly growing on me with every listen, and there are parts i'm in love with. At the same time, something seems missing, and the songs at parts seem too redundant, or predictable, as if they wrote it in twenty mintues. Being the amazing musicians that they are, I wouldn't put something like this past them - to make a decoy, that sounds believable.

I would openly welcome another album on top of this one

- G.K Chesterton

Last edited by Vianney; 04-21-2006 at 02:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
DaMa
04-21-2006, 03:05 AM

I checked out that mandala site and i really miss something like that on the leaked album now. It seems you can do loads of amazing things with it and i cant hear that on the leak. Anyone?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 9

I checked out that mandala site and i really miss something like that on the leaked album now. It seems you can do loads of amazing things with it and i cant hear that on the leak. Anyone?
OFFLINE |  
henri_ds's Avatar henri_ds
04-21-2006, 03:53 AM

Point 3 is completely wrong. You can hear his mandalas on Intension and Right in Two a LOT.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:53 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 160

Point 3 is completely wrong. You can hear his mandalas on Intension and Right in Two a LOT.
04-21-2006, 04:01 AM

to me a lot of songs do sound different one from another, speaking of recording, mix, mastering, the overall sound...the overall production is damn weird and i really feel that some of the songs date from different years/album sessions
Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

to me a lot of songs do sound different one from another, speaking of recording, mix, mastering, the overall sound...the overall production is damn weird and i really feel that some of the songs date from different years/album sessions
OFFLINE |  
Vicenza's Avatar Vicenza
04-21-2006, 07:11 AM

absolutely. on most albums you normally don't wonder when and in what year each song was probably written. With pretty much every track here, the production values jump so violently from one place to the next that you could very reasonably argue either way, and that's unusual for a "new" album.

Quote:
well, an older track can easily be remastered to sound sharp, like it was recorded recently. heck, that's the whole point of remastering. and, even if it was recorded recently, those sound like old Maynard vocals, which could have been easily added while putting this album together.

Last edited by Vicenza; 04-21-2006 at 07:22 AM..
Old 04-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

absolutely. on most albums you normally don't wonder when and in what year each song was probably written. With pretty much every track here, the production values jump so violently from one place to the next that you could very reasonably argue either way, and that's unusual for a "new" album.

Quote:
well, an older track can easily be remastered to sound sharp, like it was recorded recently. heck, that's the whole point of remastering. and, even if it was recorded recently, those sound like old Maynard vocals, which could have been easily added while putting this album together.

Last edited by Vicenza; 04-21-2006 at 07:22 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Rosette feasted's Avatar Rosette feasted
04-21-2006, 07:21 AM

I wish so much that tolll12 is right, but I'm 99% sure that he isn't :(
Old 04-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

I wish so much that tolll12 is right, but I'm 99% sure that he isn't :(
OFFLINE |  
DaMa
04-21-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_ds
Then he didnt get the maximum out of them on the album. Those effects off video 4 are amazing, in Right in Two it just sounds he improoved with the percussions he already used WAY before. I am not a supporter of the decoy theory, but he definitely should've used the mandala in more variety on the album...
Old 04-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #27
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Then he didnt get the maximum out of them on the album. Those effects off video 4 are amazing, in Right in Two it just sounds he improoved with the percussions he already used WAY before. I am not a supporter of the decoy theory, but he definitely should've used the mandala in more variety on the album...
OFFLINE |  
Descencia's Avatar Descencia
04-21-2006, 07:32 AM

The Pot sounds like it is from the sessions for Opiate. Very distinctly so. It would have blended perfectly on it.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

The Pot sounds like it is from the sessions for Opiate. Very distinctly so. It would have blended perfectly on it.
OFFLINE |  
henri_ds's Avatar henri_ds
04-21-2006, 07:32 AM

Well...i agree, in a way...but you know, this is just the begining. I mean that in a live setting and in future albums i'm sure he will use them more, because he will have learned to make a better use of them, and get more things out of them.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #29
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 160

Well...i agree, in a way...but you know, this is just the begining. I mean that in a live setting and in future albums i'm sure he will use them more, because he will have learned to make a better use of them, and get more things out of them.
04-21-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Oh, we're neighboors ;-)

so is the guy playing the mandala on that site Danny? I just want to know.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Oh, we're neighboors ;-)

so is the guy playing the mandala on that site Danny? I just want to know.
OFFLINE |  
ObviousParadox's Avatar ObviousParadox
04-21-2006, 09:08 AM

as for point two-

after undertow, before aenima was finished and released they played stinkfist, h, and jimmy at "undertow" shows. look at any bootlegs. how is that a fucking point at all? they have always experimented with works in progress during their live shows.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #31
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176

as for point two-

after undertow, before aenima was finished and released they played stinkfist, h, and jimmy at "undertow" shows. look at any bootlegs. how is that a fucking point at all? they have always experimented with works in progress during their live shows.
04-21-2006, 09:55 AM

Yeah you really need to go to the Mandala site and watch the videos of the drum to see what it can do. The noises in Intension are definately not from that drum, or if they are, Danny wasted a grand to make noises his other drums can already make. If you don't believe me, go to dannycarey.org and listen to his kit there (click technology -> present). It only has the old drums, and they make some pretty weird - non-mandala like- noises. - I don't know who is playing the drum in that video on the mandala site. It's probably just a dude that works for the company.

The latest theory I have heard (from alt.music.tool where I posted this theory as well) is that the new album is a double album with one disc new stuff (which we haven't heard) and the other disc being b-sides (the leaked stuff). It sound credible to me. I know that Tool has a 3 album contract with Volcano. Along with Lateralus, releasing a two disc album could fulfill that obligation? I obviously don't know the details of the contract, but I think that theory has some bearing.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #32

Yeah you really need to go to the Mandala site and watch the videos of the drum to see what it can do. The noises in Intension are definately not from that drum, or if they are, Danny wasted a grand to make noises his other drums can already make. If you don't believe me, go to dannycarey.org and listen to his kit there (click technology -> present). It only has the old drums, and they make some pretty weird - non-mandala like- noises. - I don't know who is playing the drum in that video on the mandala site. It's probably just a dude that works for the company.

The latest theory I have heard (from alt.music.tool where I posted this theory as well) is that the new album is a double album with one disc new stuff (which we haven't heard) and the other disc being b-sides (the leaked stuff). It sound credible to me. I know that Tool has a 3 album contract with Volcano. Along with Lateralus, releasing a two disc album could fulfill that obligation? I obviously don't know the details of the contract, but I think that theory has some bearing.
OFFLINE |  
Dr. Strangefist
04-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
yeah, along with anyone else who believes all this bullshit
Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #33
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
yeah, along with anyone else who believes all this bullshit
OFFLINE |  
lachrymoIogy's Avatar lachrymoIogy
04-21-2006, 10:52 AM

im not going to comment on the whole conspiracy theory, exceot ti say i hope it's right for one reason alone. if it is, we get more new tool. that simple. you should try and enjoy what we have now, and go buy the new album when it comes out.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 54

im not going to comment on the whole conspiracy theory, exceot ti say i hope it's right for one reason alone. if it is, we get more new tool. that simple. you should try and enjoy what we have now, and go buy the new album when it comes out.
04-21-2006, 11:10 AM

My biggest point I think would be that in the Guitar World interview, Adam explicitly mentions how Tool is different from other bands. "Our records don't sound like other people's records where they release them a year apart and they end up sounding like a bad cover band version of themselves,". HELLO! The leaked album has rehashed Tool riffs all over the place. To me it sounds EXACTLY like a poor version of themselves. If he said this and the leaked version is the real album, he must be some kind of complete moron.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #35
Level 4 - Thinker

My biggest point I think would be that in the Guitar World interview, Adam explicitly mentions how Tool is different from other bands. "Our records don't sound like other people's records where they release them a year apart and they end up sounding like a bad cover band version of themselves,". HELLO! The leaked album has rehashed Tool riffs all over the place. To me it sounds EXACTLY like a poor version of themselves. If he said this and the leaked version is the real album, he must be some kind of complete moron.
04-21-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzur
except that's just your own stupid opinion. It's not a fact that the new album sounds like a poor version of Tool, and it in no way proves either than Adam is a moron or that the leak is fake.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #36
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzur
except that's just your own stupid opinion. It's not a fact that the new album sounds like a poor version of Tool, and it in no way proves either than Adam is a moron or that the leak is fake.
OFFLINE |  
themayanlion
04-21-2006, 11:52 AM

the only thing i have to say about this is regarding the christian quality of the lyrics, and it seems like no one here knows how to read or can think for themselves.

it is pretty obvious he is speaking for his mother in the song, not about himself as far as christian beliefs. i mean christ "what have i done to be son to an angel", "Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance"...he still says it's not his thing. and the whole "fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father" bit is right AFTER he says "you are the only one who can stand at the gates and say..."

i mean seriously, i didn't think for a second he became or implied any conversion to christianity, he is just saying his mother deserves whatever she believed in for what she had to go through, and that he's burning in hell with the rest but heopful his mother will get what she wanted.

i mean seriously, all talk about decoys and crap aside, there's no excuse to take leave of your senses.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

the only thing i have to say about this is regarding the christian quality of the lyrics, and it seems like no one here knows how to read or can think for themselves.

it is pretty obvious he is speaking for his mother in the song, not about himself as far as christian beliefs. i mean christ "what have i done to be son to an angel", "Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance"...he still says it's not his thing. and the whole "fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father" bit is right AFTER he says "you are the only one who can stand at the gates and say..."

i mean seriously, i didn't think for a second he became or implied any conversion to christianity, he is just saying his mother deserves whatever she believed in for what she had to go through, and that he's burning in hell with the rest but heopful his mother will get what she wanted.

i mean seriously, all talk about decoys and crap aside, there's no excuse to take leave of your senses.
OFFLINE |  
sifted
04-21-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themayanlion

completely agree. it bugs me so much when people claim he's somehow found 'the light' when he clearly isn't speaking in the first person point of view in wings pt 2.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

completely agree. it bugs me so much when people claim he's somehow found 'the light' when he clearly isn't speaking in the first person point of view in wings pt 2.
OFFLINE |  
Dr. Strangefist
04-21-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Definitely. People need to work on their critical analysis and comprehension skills. This album has some of Maynard's most direct lyrics (and I don't mean that in a bad way) so I don't understand how people are coming up with some of these theories and interpretations.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #39
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

Definitely. People need to work on their critical analysis and comprehension skills. This album has some of Maynard's most direct lyrics (and I don't mean that in a bad way) so I don't understand how people are coming up with some of these theories and interpretations.
OFFLINE |  
question93
04-21-2006, 12:03 PM

This is like watching a car accident.

Just accept the fact that you don't like the album, it's not what you wanted, find a new band to like and move on. In my opinion, this album is Grammy material and then some. This is one damn fine piece of music, and I'd be willing to wager that the people that are up in arms saying this is a hoax and a decoy album don't have the first clue about audio production or what's involved with writing, recording, and producing an album.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #40

This is like watching a car accident.

Just accept the fact that you don't like the album, it's not what you wanted, find a new band to like and move on. In my opinion, this album is Grammy material and then some. This is one damn fine piece of music, and I'd be willing to wager that the people that are up in arms saying this is a hoax and a decoy album don't have the first clue about audio production or what's involved with writing, recording, and producing an album.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply