opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: May-July 2006
User Name
Password
Old 05-02-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/05/11 - Kansas City, MO - Memorial Hall

SETLIST --

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/11 - Kansas City, MO - Memorial Hall

An absolute KICK-ASS concert from start to finish. Got there five hours before the doors opened (General Admission seating) and got front row, lower balcony. Set list was the same as previous (pretty sure anyway) and they performed pretty much flawlessly from what we could tell. Some VERY stoked fans to say the least.

Maynard was fairly talkative all things considered. Mentioned "Kansas Fucking City" a couple of times, also said that they didn't sell quite as many albums as they were targeting the first week: 666,666.66 (and yes, he said the "point six six"). Said he should blame his niece(s?) for downloading the MP3 version. Also cursed the scalpers and suggested we "scalp them right back" - but then added "not literally, as we can't legally say that." Pretty funny stuff

AWESOME concert!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

pretty much the same setlist as before
adam fucked sober, started the song a whole step sharp.
great to see no moshing (except for aenima)
security was lame as expected.
I attempted to steal a shirt from the bootlegger outside but he snagged me. I asked if he had medium shirts, he just threw one at me and turned around. you wouldn't have?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #4

Amazing show. I was directly in front of Justin. Me and my friend were 2nd people against the gate. What a fucking awesome show. When they got done playing Lateralus and Danney threw the 2 sticks, I grabbed one and immediately stuck it in my pants so no one could grab it.. lol. Everyone around me thought it fell on the ground and they were like animals looking for it. Security was shining their lights on the floor trying to find it. I leaned over to my friend and told him I had it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Set list was the same:

Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The Patient
Sober
Lateralus

Break to sit on Maynard's platform

Vicarious
Ænema

The show was amazing. I was in the top balcony on the front row, maybe 35 feet above the floor and on Justin's side of the stage with an amazing view of everything.

Lk/Rosetta Stoned fucking rocked live. Adam and Justin came on stage first and began the intro, then Danny came out, followed shortly by Maynard. All got huge cheers and applause. During RS, it seemed like Maynard knew he owned the crowd. I actually wasn't looking foward to Stinkfist. At first I felt that there were other songs I'd rather hear, but I was wrong and I'm extremely glad they played it. After those two, I decided to quit taking mental notes on the show and just enjoy it. I couldn't help but notice, however, the annoying fucking security guards endlessly shining flashlights in people's eyes. Even when it wasn't in my direction, I still noticed it and it took my attention away from the show for a few seconds. After Lateralus, they all sat on Maynard's platform and Danny started playing drums on Maynard's feet. When the show was over, they all hugged and waved to the crowd and seemed to truly appreciate us coming out.

All in all, it was truly an experience...well worth the $200 ticket (which I still have to pay my buddy for) and the 17 hour round trip drive from Memphis.

A few Maynardism's

"Kansas fucking City. I think that's now the official name, Kansas fucking City"

"Our new album just came out. It's called 10,000 ways to thank you for your support. We were hoping to sell 666,666.666. Satan was dissappointed. But its ok."

"Sorry about the scalpers. I would suggest that you scalp them back. Not literally though, I could legally get in trouble for saying that."

Not exact quotes, but pretty close.

Announce the fall schedule goddamnit....

Last edited by MemphisM; 05-11-2006 at 08:47 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Man,
I was the guy next to fearxile, and he almost got hit for grabbing that stick, lol. Justin was INSANE. Btw, i don't know if he's on here, but the guy right in front of justin with the long black hair headbanging, you're fuckin crazy. Did anyone else notice about 15min before the show started, a guy came out and pulled all the setlist up off the various spots in the floor, and taped new ones down. But tonight the setlist was exactly the same. Who knows, maybe they were gonna mix it up a bit, but decided against it.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Great show. The security was rediculous with the lights and shit, they took my battery and memory card out of my camera my girl took in, but the show was great. Danny was killer on the drums, I wasn't real impressed with adam's playing and maynard wasn't loud enough for that small of a venue but they were great. I still can't hear shit, but I hope they come back in a few months.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Being the TOOL junkie that I am, I'm a little embarassed to admit that this was my first show...maybe that means I'm not a junkie, or that I'm now officially a junkie...but I digress. Great show. Can't expect much more than that from a round of warm-up gigs. I thought 46 & 2 was a little hollow and it took the first few minutes of Rosetta Stoned for the guy running the sound-board to set the levels appropriately to accomodate the mediocre accoustics of Memorial. Stinkfist and Aenima blew the roof off. Danny Carey's a beast. Going into the show, I was already well aware of his ability but actually being able to watch him play was hypnotizing.

Maynard's stage presence is incomparable.

The hippies banging on the side doors before the show were priceless.

Visuals were great, lighting was perfect. Sound was bass heavy and loud as fuck.

Big night for me. TOOL's been my fav. band for a long, long time and being able to see them for the first in an "intimate" venue was a treat. Glad to finally be able to cross them off of my "must see" list...they were the only ones left...seen everyone else.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 PM   #9

Anyone notice the mics and cameras they had set up in the back?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Introverted Extrovert

Bincount™: 6698

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearxile
Anyone notice the mics and cameras they had set up in the back?
They had those last night in Denver too. I would love to get my eyes and ears on whatever they caught on sight and sound. *sigh*
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #11

Yeh I also seen an ipod hooked up setting ont he mixing board when we left... I wonder if they record all shows like that.

Also to note: They were selling tickets at the will call booth about 30+ minutes before the show started. A lot of people went up there and came out with tickets.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Great fuckin show..

I felt bad for all the people that got ripped off by scalpers though. About 45 minutes before the concert some employees came out and said there was 30 seats still available for regular price. There was so many pissed off people when that news came out, but 30 happy ones I suppose.

Great show, i was about 15 ft in front of Adam. There was one mosh pit right behind me, which was annoying to say the least, but even it managed to slow down at some points.

Wish the t-shirts werent so expensive ;o
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

This was the first Tool show I've seen (been a fan since Opiate). It was bass heavy, and other than Adams "Glitch" on Sober they seemed in mid-tour form. I was 4 rows back in the upper balcanycorner stage right. Perfect seats for the visuals. The stage seemed a little empty up front, with Maynard singing in the back, but I'm told he does that to focus on his singing. They played a killer set list, and I would pay the same price to see it again!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #14

I'm reminded after a night like this, why it is that I like Tool so much.

Seeing them live is an incomparable event of intensity and emotion. At least that's how I feel.

I've seen where people have complained about the visualizations being lame and just reproductions of the video when a single is played, but these were for the majority videos I've never seen. I was impressed with how well the seemed to fit the mood and tone of the songs. Really added to the overall environment.

Excellent show that I would recommend to everyone.
(well, except like your grandparents)
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

I also heard at the show that another new cd may be comming out later this month. Has anyone else heard this?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Everyone around me loved the visuals MEGA. I thought they were perfect for every song. All of them were timed well with the music.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #17

if anybody saw a dude in a glow in the dark simpsons shirt, that was me.
I saw two people pass out, they just crumpled.
I'd assume the ipod was for the music before/after the show.
it almost sounded like 'nard had a head cold, his voice sounded a little nasal. (compared to previous shows - could have been the mix)
overall the sound was the most powerful that I've experienced tool.
the vibe was extremely positive, smiling faces all around.
I loved having elbow room.
Seeing tool at eye contact distance is another fucking experience.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

I also think Danny Carey's parents/family were sitting off to the side of the stage. They looked like older small town type people. I kept watching who I assumed to be Danny's mother. She was watching him the whole way through lateralus with a smile on her face, she looked so proud. That was probably my favorite part of the show
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #19

KANSAS FUCKIN' CITY!!!

how good was THAT?!? anyone at the kansas city (or as Maynard said, "it's official, kansas fuckin' city) show tonight got rocked in that little cracker jack box of an auditorium. very intimate, very loud, very wonderful.

it was a strange seating arrangement to start with. everything was general admission. first come, first sit. we were on the steps to get in at 12:00pm. doors didn't open until 7:00pm. we spent some quality time with people we had never met before. super cool people who had great thoughts about music and stimulating conversation. we were all waiting there together for so long, and we all had our choice of seats when 7:00 rolled around.

the seats we chose were in the front row of the first section on the right side of the stage (facing stage.) Danny Carey's family and friends were sitting directly to my left (Danny is from paola, ks.) like i said before, this place was so intimate, the band was simply right in front of us.

i don't have time to go into everything. i need some sleep, and some time to digest what i just experienced. it was lovely. Maynard really seemed to be into this performance, having fun and dancing (i mean, really dancing, not just flailing or bobbing.) Adam was great. Justin hit that bass so hard at times that my whole body vibrated, and my heart seemed to capture all of the energy (i wasn't even on any drugs this time.) Danny was on. he's obviously infuckingcredible on a daily basis, but this was a home game for him, and he did not disappoint anyone.

lost keys (instrumentals only) was awesome. they could have gone on with that for the first hour.
rosetta stoned was just so loud. i could barely even hear Maynard. it fucking rocked.
i think stinkfist was next. i can't remember the complete set list right now, but i'll let other people take it from here. please add what you experienced. i hope everyone had a beautiful time like i did.

by the way, i was in the front of the line in a black coat, jeans, and sunglasses. i'm tall and some of you referred to me as "the guy who looks like adam sandler." it was great meeting all of you. thank you for making the day go by so fast. almost too fast.

p.s. TESS! you are a trooper. you stayed in the front of that floor crowd THE WHOLE SHOW! you are a great TOOL fan, and it was fun meeting you and your friends.

Last edited by scar; 05-11-2006 at 10:56 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Damn, i have to work at 7am this morning and i am still covered in sweat and wanting more. my first tool concert. i paid $800 for three tickets. for me, my sister, and my girl.
We arrived, and found a place to park immediatly in an almost empty parking lot- the drunk business owner demanded five dollars - (when we left after the show we had to wait 20 minuites for the same lot to clear out enough for us to leave.)

The Wait:
arrived early stood in line with the rest of the sheep, baaahing about everyone wearing tool shirts and black. i of course wore my tool shirt under pressure from my girls who also sported theirs. I really wish i had a peach shirt or green jell-0 or something cool like that.
The two bongo playing hippies trying to get free tickets and banging on the side doors was entertainment.
finaly make it to the front- frisking was a joke - people just slid in skipping past security without any problem.

The show: fortunatly for my first show i got tickets on the floor to be up close and personal with the band. bad idea when you are trying to look out for two girls.
and someone tell me if they remember the white haired crazy guy with bad teeth
"ive been to every tool show, if your bitching get to the back, if youre bitching get to the back"
a very drunk but cool guy in the front tried to calm the schitzo down by saying lets all just enjoy the show - i mean this guy was out of control and would not shut up
The band comes out to play, maynard shirtless with a walkie - the vocals were all distorted even with the regular mic.
The Schitzo is banning his head, slamming into everyone and pissing everyone that he pushed into me and my girls off, when my sister pushed him i got pissed that she was bothered
all of the sudden the music hits hard and the crazy fucker runs forward slamming into a crowd of unsupecting, relaxed, fans enjoying the show, he pushes me back
and my sister is yelling and getting pissed. i grabbed the back of the guys neck and started punching him in the head, he turned around and tried to freak-me-out to death and the next thing i know the entire crowd around me is throwing the bastard up to the front security guys to deal with... and they even looked scared and upset to have to deal with this fucker.
the show was awesome
i learned a lot about tool and developed some theories about the connections of the music to the crowd. the lighting effects were interesting - the video behind the band was awesome. ADAM JONES IS A FUCKING GOD. Maynard is the voice, and a brilliant poet. also a prankster who is definetly obsessed with his penis.
The whole crowd was singing (off key and awfully) gawd. i just listen and mouth the words and yell when they are done playing
back to the lighting - it was like a joke a test - you could see maynard singing all of the well known words refrains etc... and when it got down to the complicated stuff the lights shined on the crowd...... maybe that is how the band knows if the crowd really knows and listens to the music/lyrics or they all just hum and sing along with what they think they know. i duno great set blah blah
i am putting together an archive of things to remember the show in a cd/dvd form with a case designed of wrist bands and ticket invoices. hopefully i can d/l some sneaky bastards live video of the show and maybe some recorded live songs.
ITS NOT LIKE I AM GOING TO SELL OR SHARE THE SHIT. i just want to remember.

Last edited by tool8928; 05-12-2006 at 11:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool8928
Damn, i have to work at 7am this morning and i am still covered in sweat and wanting more. my first tool concert. i paid $800 for three tickets. for me, my sister, and my girl.
We arrived, and found a place to park immediatly in an almost empty parking lot- the drunk business owner demanded five dollars - (when we left after the show we had to wait 20 minuites for the same lot to clear out enough for us to leave.)

The Wait:
arrived early stood in line with the rest of the sheep, baaahing about everyone wearing tool shirts and black. i of course wore my tool shirt under pressure from my girls who also sported theirs. I really wish i had a peach shirt or green jell-0 or something cool like that.
The two bongo playing hippies trying to get free tickets and banging on the side doors was entertainment. as well as the drugs.
finaly make it to the front- frisking was a joke - people just slid in skipping past security without any problem.

The show: fortunatly for my first show i got tickets on the floor to be up close and personal with the band. bad idea when you are trying to look out for two girls.
and someone tell me if they remember the white haired crazy guy with bad teeth
"ive been to every tool show, if your bitching get to the back, if youre bitching get to the back"
a very drunk but cool guy in the front tried to calm the schitzo down by saying lets all just enjoy the show - i mean this guy was out of control and would not shut up
The band comes out to play, maynard shirtless with a walkie - the vocals were all distorted even with the regular mic.
The Schitzo is banning his head, slamming into everyone and pissing everyone that he pushed into me and my girls off, when my sister pushed him i got pissed that she was bothered
all of the sudden the music hits hard and the crazy fucker runs forward slamming into a crowd of unsupecting, relaxed, fans enjoying the show, he pushes me back
and my sister is yelling and getting pissed. i grabbed the back of the guys neck and started punching him in the head, he turned around and tried to freak-me-out to death and the next thing i know the entire crowd around me is throwing the bastard up to the front security guys to deal with... and they even looked scared and upset to have to deal with this fucker.
the show was awesome
i learned a lot about tool and developed some theories about the connections of the music to the crowd. the lighting effects were interesting - the video behind the band was awesome. ADAM JONES IS A FUCKING GOD. Maynard is the voice, and a brilliant poet. also a prankster who is definetly obsessed with his penis.
The whole crowd was singing (off key and awfully) gawd. i just listen and mouth the words and yell when they are done playing
back to the lighting - it was like a joke a test - you could see maynard singing all of the well known words refrains etc... and when it got down to the complicated stuff the lights shined on the crowd...... maybe that is how the band knows if the crowd really knows and listens to the music/lyrics or they all just hum and sing along with what they think they know. i duno great set blah blah
i am putting together an archive of things to remember the show in a cd/dvd form with a case designed of wrist bands and ticket invoices. hopefully i can d/l some sneaky bastards live video of the show and maybe some recorded live songs.
ITS NOT LIKE I AM GOING TO SELL OR SHARE THE SHIT. i just want to remember.
I know exactlyt he blonde fucker you're talking about. I was the tall red haired guy (6'6) that was standing near the blonde dude. It was so awesome when everyone started cheering when blondie got carried away :D
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckb6b
Great show. The security was rediculous with the lights and shit, they took my battery and memory card out of my camera my girl took in, but the show was great. Danny was killer on the drums, I wasn't real impressed with adam's playing and maynard wasn't loud enough for that small of a venue but they were great. I still can't hear shit, but I hope they come back in a few months.
dude when they shined the little flashlights up front. they were showing the band the chicks who were flashing them - security wasnt so bad up front
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This concert was the shit. There are no words to explain the show. Just fucking great. Happy Birthday Danny. Thanks for the great show tool. Can't wait to see you again in the fall. Got there are 2pm and was worth the wait. The show was unbelievable. For all of you that got to smoke some bomb ass nuggs, your welcome. See you in the fall. Oh about the bootlegger that was selling shirts for $10. I snagged one extra one from him for all of you that didn't get a chance to. Dont forget to fuck scalpers. I loved the fact that he mentioned fucking scalpers and that we should scalp them in return. I am one of the fortunate ones who paid face value for my tickets. But I would have paid a lot more if I had to. It was worth every penny I did not spend, and now I can die a happy man.

Last edited by Chino; 05-11-2006 at 11:43 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Amazing show...I think my body is still resinating from the bass

Was on the first balcony...center mass 5 rows back. Great view. Setlist was amazing. The highlight for me was Lateralus. For the half step pause twoards the end, it seemed like the crowd all at once was silenced, only to be remerged by Danny's bass drum kick in.

Got there around 3ish. Waited in line, spent alot of cash on merch, tried to watch Adam play some of the new stuff to get a feel of how to play...and was fucking rocked hard. Hope someone out there has a nice boot of it. Would love to have the memory preserved in audio form.

Croud was great...no complaints on my part. Wish I could be stuck in Groundhogs Day and do it again tommorow.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

ATTN ALL WHO SNUCK CAMERAS INTO "Kansas Fuckin City" Show

check out http://www.flickr.com/groups/toolshed/pool/
please for the benefit of all the fans who want to remember -
post your photos of the KC show!

The group was created by Chris_Brightwell who posted:
"I've created a group pool at Flickr for folks to upload and share live pictures from cameraphones, smuggled digital cameras, or any other imaging device you might happen to sneak into a show.

Want to join the fun? Sign up for a Flickr account and join the t.d.n group. Then, when you upload a new photo, it'll give you the option of including it in your group pool(s), including t.d.n."

To join and post sign up at http://www.flickr.com
and to post in the right place at http://www.flickr.com/groups/toolshed/pool/

Last edited by tool8928; 05-12-2006 at 03:59 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

fucking great. the best show ever. and to all you fuck sticks that have shit to say about how they fucked the sound up or that danny fucked up on sober i want to see you get up their and pull off the shit they do every fucking night and still come out the best fucking prog. metal band ever. and fuck all those gun toteing hip gangster wannabies, you know who you are.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #27
On Probation

Bincount™: 55

fuck yes took 2 x pills about 7 30 so they started to kick in like minutes before the show....the best experience ive ever had god that was amazing...i was upper balcony front row could see everything wouldve rather been on the floor but i still could see everything fucking great show my first tool show and i wish i could just relive it over and over....mdma+tool=THE BEST TIME EVER!!!!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:05 AM   #28
Level 2 - Poster

Great show. I was to meet someone and pay $120 for a ticket which was a hell of a deal. While I was waiting for the guy to get there they came out and said they had 30 extra tickets. I got one for face value and I was one happy bastard. Sorry Pat about the ticket situation, I just got extremely lucky. I felt bad for my buddy and others that had to spend $225. The show was amazing though. I've seen Tool 5 times and this was definitely the best one. Lateralus gives me chills everytime they play it live. We had front row top balcony which were awesome seats. I just sat there and soaked in everything from the show. Can't wait to see them again in the Fall.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #29

Bincount™: 6

Great show, high crowd energy, great setlist, yadayada.
Security was fine, I didn't notice to much harasssment. If you are a Tool fan, you know they don't like cameras, what do you expect? Second THERE was quite a bit of moshing on the floor (I was there) there was a group of meatheads over towards Justin that kept getting rowdy, and security was spotting little fights every 20 minutes or so. As for the cameras and mics in back, I wouldn't think to much of it. the camera wasn't high enough to get a great shot, plus the camera was a panasonic PD170 (not the greatest) My guess was that the lighting director was recording for reference on light cues. Probably to look at the show, so he can make changes, etc. As for the mic, I would guess the audio guy was doing the same thing. If they were recording the show for audio, they would just tap into the board. Although they could be using it for crowd noise. Met some people at Tanners before the show, from Oklahoma and Baton Rouge, hope you guys enjoyed the shots. Also, that was Danny's mom on the side of the stage, proud mother watching her ginormous son beat the living hell out of some drums. Does anyone know the computer program Danny was using during some songs, what is on the LCD screen? Hope everyone had fun. Moshers and shasta beast fighting can suck the collective Tool cock.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #30
Level 3 - Talker

my comments area about the same as the rest. Me and my buddy were on the top balcony dead center of the stage about 3 rows back, i had my doubts about being up there instead of the floor, but as soon as i sat down and saw danny's kit i knew it was gonna be well worth it.

Me and my friend had a seat open on each side of us and bout 5 minutes before the start a guy and his girlfriend asked if we could move down so they could sit together.... we obliged and he proceded to smoke us up the entire show which was glorious....thanks mystery dude.

Lost Keys was extremely loud live, fucking beautiful... I was a little dissapointed with RS. Maynard was using the megaphone for a majority if not all of the vocals in the song, which was fine except he had it strapped onto his belt and angled at the ground....could'nt really hear any of it from the balcony... but another buddy who was on the floor in front of adam said it was the clearest part of the show, so go figure....

Stinkfist vocals were a little difficult to pick up as well, more because of the crowd geeking out and singing so loud... those two songs were the low point of the show for me, still damn good though. Adam was pretty spot on for this song, nothing major in the shit the bed department as it were.

The Pot plays pretty good live, but you can tell Maynards voice is starting to go which worries me in regards to future albums and tours... he cut the scream at the end of this song very short....only been to one other show so i dunno if he does that often or not.

46&2 was the best performance of the show.....all four guys were on the ball for it... the crowd was really into the song jumping in unison and such on the floor which is fun to watch from the rafters.

Jambi was excellent... the talk box was almost inaudible from the balcony which dissapointed me... adam fudged it up a little too i think....

schism and The Patient together is a wonderful grouping of the songs.... you just kinda get to fall into a lateralus kinda mood for awhile which is cool...The Patient was fucking moving live, i kept closing my eyes for a few seconds at a time just drifting away, then i would remember that i had payed 200 bucks for the ticket and i needed to keep em open and see as much as i could, lol....

Same long extended intro they have been playing for Sober, ive only heard it on bootlegs so that was a treat to hear live...soon as the opening riff kicked in the aformentioned mystery dude sparked another joint and passed it our way....by the end of the song i was ripped, lol. Sober was surprisingly good though, i like the song but its one of my least favorite but they really played the hell out of it...im no music expert so i could be wrong but it seems to me that Adam plays undertow era shit the best...i dunno.

They did they're little sit down/pow wow thing here....they played drums on maynards feet and held they're hands to their ears and asked for a crowd reaction of some sort. If you've ever been to or seen a Chiefs game on tv... you know that KC folks know how to make noise and on cue the fucking place exploded....i'll put that noise level up against any of the other venues on this mini tour.

Lateralus as always was unreal....Danny looks like he's a cartoon when he plays as fast as his hands move.... his family was on the side of the stage and they were really geeking out during this song, it was a cool moment...really old lady over there....possibly his grandma? Props to her if so...that granny's a real trooper ...

Vicarious didn't come off that well live to me for some reason... adam bothched a part during the, "drowned by the ocean, shot by his own son", part, where it was only justin playing, or maybe thats how its suppose to be, not sure.

Aenema was a great way to end it... i thought that they would only close with that at cali shows...but i was glad they kept it in.... everyone sang along to this entire song which made it sound very cool mixing in with maynard...

All in all another amazing tool experience.... some closing comments include a funny moment where Nard asked the crowd if the drugs had kicked in yet... the crowd cheered just as justin started playing a bass lick to whatever song was starting and Nard stopped him and said, "Sorry Justin, i just wanted to make sure everyone was on drugs first." And lastly thank you to the hippies who entertanied us in line by playing the tiny bongo, begging for tickets/money/food, like any good hippey should, and then of course by flipping their nappy dreds around in the pit which made laugh hysterically at a few different points during the show, Someboy had to have caught a dred in the face....

Great show, im sure nobody read this but oh well i needed to get it all out of my head and onto cyber paper.... peace
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Last night was by far the best concert I have ever seen and ended up being one of the coolest experiences of mys life.
I won't repeat what everyone else has said about the awesome fucking show except to point out that I was the lucky fucker who ended up with Danny's AUTOGRAPHED DRUM HEAD after he made an impossible fucking throw deep into the lower balcony. Check out my avatar bitches! That shit seemed like I had a homing beacon the way it curved right to me--and the four other people who had a hand on it until I emerged victorious!! A fucking mind-blowing experience
Old 05-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudostratified
Last night was by far the best concert I have ever seen and ended up being one of the coolest experiences of mys life.
I won't repeat what everyone else has said about the awesome fucking show except to point out that I was the lucky fucker who ended up with Danny's AUTOGRAPHED DRUM HEAD after he made an impossible fucking throw deep into the lower balcony. Check out my avatar bitches! That shit seemed like I had a homing beacon the way it curved right to me--and the four other people who had a hand on it until I emerged victorious!! A fucking mind-blowing experience
fuck you buddy.... i thought that thing was gonna get clear up to me at the top but it just died like 15 feet from the rail and curved down.... damn you :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCjarric
Great show. I was to meet someone and pay $120 for a ticket which was a hell of a deal. While I was waiting for the guy to get there they came out and said they had 30 extra tickets. I got one for face value and I was one happy bastard. Sorry Pat about the ticket situation, I just got extremely lucky. I felt bad for my buddy and others that had to spend $225. The show was amazing though. I've seen Tool 5 times and this was definitely the best one. Lateralus gives me chills everytime they play it live. We had front row top balcony which were awesome seats. I just sat there and soaked in everything from the show. Can't wait to see them again in the Fall.
Jeric!

You tool loving crazy S.O.B!

To all who read this post, I am the "someone Jeric was to meet and pay $120.00 for a ticket which was a hell of a deal". I have to give the proverbial "major props" to Jeric. First, the guy is in the right spot at right time and scores a ticket from box office earning the "early bird" award

Second, upon getting value buy he did the right thing. Jeric didn't know me at all and could have easily walked away from our deal without any problems. My dumbass would have been walking around with ticket, "anyone see Jeric?" But no, Jeric immediately picks up phone and calls to tell me that he basically won the lottery. I live in St. Louis and was ripping through Odessa when he called. Luckily, I thought, I could place ticket withone of the others who had inquired about ticket.

Much to my dismay, for a variety of reasons none of which was price there were no takers. I get to Memorial Hall at 8:29 pm hearing band begin as I am walking up hill behind building. (I saw four dudes sneak in through side exit while walking up. Epic..) I check with police on whether I would be able to sell ticket in front of theatre. He said it was ok, smiled winked at me while saying, "face value only of course". I went to six differnt pairs of people standing out front looking for tickets. At this time, I was asking $100.00=$66.66 face +$13.36 charges+$20 transportation cost. Call it $20.00 over cost.

Each one of these dudes would look at me and say, "if you have two we will buy for $100.00". I was getting more and more frustrated finally saying to the crowd, "you mean to tell me that you are going to miss this show because you can't spend the next two hours without your buddy holding your hand. Are you guys on dates or something!" F-n unbelievable.

Finally a meteor hits one of them on the head. The band was about 100 yards away inside and he wasn't going to see because Bob would be alone for a couple hours. boing. He says he will buy it. finally! I say $100.00 based on above reasoning. He thinks for a bit and SAYS, I'll give you $90.00!

What the hell. $10.00 freaking bucks. The show was on and I had enough, so I said whatever and made the deal.

The dude who bought it was also from St. Louis. During the show he was kind enough to buy 3 beers for me total cost of $21.00 and hooked me up with pack of smokes! I was scratching my head but thankful for the generosity.

All in all, I want to say that I paid $225 or roughly 3x face value+charges to see Tool at a venue which is 4x to 5x smaler than an arena. By this metric the price is not only reasonable bui a value. I would do it again tomorrow. I felt like I was at a VFW hall. It was so cool.

I still give Jeric all the respect in the world for being stand-up guy when he really didn't have too. And Jeric sorry I couldn't hook up with you guys but once inside I didn't move. I was memzmorized. Fifth time seen the act. I think this peformance was better than previous. What a differece 10-15 years can make.

Finally, to all of you who contacted me in regard to ticket and choked at any price over face value, I say to you.......FOOLS!

PTT
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #34
Level 4 - Thinker

Agent Orange,

I was probably right next to you. I remember those goddamned hippies. I got hit in the face by dreads about 10 times.

I've seen this band five times now, and it gets better every time. Last night was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. For those of you debating whether to pay big bucks to see this band in a small venue, do not give it another thought. It's worth any amount of money you have to pay. I'm fucking deaf right now from sitting 10 feet from my favorite band in the world. I'm still speechless.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 08:51 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

KANSAS FUCKING CITY

Concert was the highlight of my life. Second Tool concert I've been to and the small venues beat the shit out of the bigger ones. Danny was wearing his Jayhawks jersey as usual, proving he is the biggest badass in the world. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Maynard messed up they lyrics in stinkfist, instead of saying "Elbow deep inside the borderline. Show me that you love me and that we belong together" He said "This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to" He said that line twice. Oh well i dont even give a fuck that concert was sweet. Can't wait till the come back.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm gonna try to be the first person to post without using the F word, hehehe. I'm also not going to repost something that someone else has already said, in order to try to keep this short.

To me, this was fan appreciation night. One of the coolest parts I noticed was during Stinkfist, when Maynard sings, "I'll.. Keep.. Digging.." and so on, the entire band put little mini-pauses in so you could hear the entire crowd singing along clearly. It seemed that they knew this was a crowd fave to sing along with, and were giving us a chance to be heard. Perhaps not why, but there were very audible band pauses that I've not heard other times I saw Tool play live.
My friend, who's a guitarist, noticed Adam break a string during one of the first few songs, like 5 seconds from the end. I, as a drummer, noticed Danny break a stick also early in the show.

The 'Mega Feedback' before Sober was accompanied by a cool little miniSolo from Danny that last about a minute or so. A gift to his hometown crowd? Or a birthday drum-abration? We'll never know.

Probably the most hilarious part of the evening was the recurrence of Maynard doing kicks in his cowboy boots.

Also, before Vicarious, we were treated to a happy little keyboard duet from Adam and Maynard while they seemingly worked on Adam's guitar off stage, before bringing it out for the last two songs.
Since I've read all the pages on here about the setlist not changing, I knew there were only two songs left. = / But the guy behind me was screaming for something off of Opiate. I wanted to turn around and make a $20 bet with him that Vicarious, followed by Aenima, followed by the end of the show were coming next.

On a note of speculation, it seemed like this miniTour could also be the retiring of Sober. It's a great song, but with how they've progressed, I don't see it fitting in with their set list any time after this tour, which has consisted mainly of fan favorites. (No 10,000 Days or Right In Two)

As for Danny on Sober - he didn't mess anything up playing it, as he's mentioned in interviews, sometimes he plays certain parts different live, so fans might not always get to hear that "one lick" they want.

Apologies if I've repeated anything someone else said, as I wanted this to give a more complete review of the show, not reiterate something previously posted. I skimmed the other 30 posts, but may have missed something.

To aka_PTT: You're openly admitting to scalping tickets. To a show where the lead singer hates scalpers. If you weren't going to the show anyway, then why would you buy tickets, and if you were, then why would you charge transportation fees on somewhere you were already going? If you must rationalize your greed in your own head, fine, but don't call us fools because we wouldn't pay for your gas. It sucks if you had to pay more for a ticket, but don't buy more than you need, perhaps?

To All those who bought tickets to shows they weren't going to: You're worse than scalpers, imho. I don't even know how many "Have KC want Las Vegas" "Have NY want Chicago" posts I saw off of TDN, but what they heck? You're only making it hard for fans from that area to see the show. If I live in Chicago, why would I buy NY tickets? And if you do, why would you? It sucks that you couldn't get tickets for your local show, but at least go down there and see if there're any Will Call tickets or scalpers selling at the legitimate face value. Don't try to gain leverage in trading tickets by robbing someone else's chance of seeing a band they love.

Last edited by CatWithAGatt; 05-12-2006 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Clarity - spacing
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #37
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Did anyone else notice how much Maynard was fucking around with the keyboard. Did that replace the guitar he used on the Lateralus tour? I noticed he was using it when they did the slow breakdown on Schism during the vocal harmony part. Also seemed to be using it before each verse and chorus maybe as a Key refrence.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #38
Level 3 - Talker

I got to the concert at 4.30, the doors opened at 7. I walked onto the floor and placed my ass against the barrier in front of Adam. The guys came on at 8.30. Adam was 3 feet in front of me, fucking amazing. Cannot believe I got to see them so close up. The funniest part was when Adam snapped his D guitar string at the end of The Pot. Maynard started laughing but looked a little concerned. Rosetta Stoned was great, always liked the song but wasn't my favorite, on the way home it was constantly playing throughout my three hour drive back to Springfield. The Patient was my favorite song of the night, Danny's bass drums during that song shook the whole place. Everyone was great, good dancing by Maynard. At the end of the show Maynard threw a water bottle that I caught, then I got pulled back and thrown to the ground, I ended up 5 people back and 3 people to the left. Fucking great show, to anyone who still has tickets for this mini-tour, your in for a kick-ass rock show.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #39

Bincount™: 11

lmao at whoever wondered if they recorded onto an IPOD

awesome show
Old 05-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

I went to the KC show last night. Let just say i was fortunate to go back stage and then hang out with 3 of the 4 members of the band. This was the second time i was lucky enough to do this. I was the bastard in the back shirt standing behind Danny's mom during the show. Danny was nice as always. Justin acts kinda like he’s still not used to it all or hes really shy. Adam is very humble and is a great guy. Glad to have the experience again. Great show guys!!!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: