Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Summer 2009
User Name
Password
marcus's Avatar marcus
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Gearhead

Bincount™: 3077
08.07.09 - Cincinnati, OH @ PNC Pavillion

Do not post in this thread unless you attended this concert(except for me of course).
usedabused's Avatar usedabused
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Same setlist as before I think.

Overall the show was great. Except for the chick in front of me who found it necessary to mime every fucking song. If you were that chick, I hate you. Lateralus kinda pissed me off. I still love the song live, but Tweakbird ruined it for me tonite. Flood was amazing and Aenema... Ohhhhh!!! It was the hi-light fir me.
Maynardisms?

"Oops... Hi."
"Welcome Home"
"Time to put your clothes back on."
"I heard this show sold out in .5 seconds. I was born in Ohio so I know that there is nothing to do here. What else are you gonna do?"
"Im stalling. "

And the whe thing with Ashton after Lateralus? "Congratulations, you win a $100 gift certificate to Tower Records." Then something else I didn't catch.. Then somethin about "All you can eat at Spencers Gifts"? He then said "as for you guys... " and I forgot the rest.

He even thanked us for coming.

Kanaduh!!!! Great meeting you!! Good luck with finding a room. Sorry I wasn't much help. We left when Vicarious started cause I had something in my contact. Did Tweakbird always do that weird chicken skit with the styrafoam peanuts??
Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 143
Re: 08.07.09 - Cincinnati, OH @ PNC Pavillion

Same setlist as before I think.

Overall the show was great. Except for the chick in front of me who found it necessary to mime every fucking song. If you were that chick, I hate you. Lateralus kinda pissed me off. I still love the song live, but Tweakbird ruined it for me tonite. Flood was amazing and Aenema... Ohhhhh!!! It was the hi-light fir me.
Maynardisms?

"Oops... Hi."
"Welcome Home"
"Time to put your clothes back on."
"I heard this show sold out in .5 seconds. I was born in Ohio so I know that there is nothing to do here. What else are you gonna do?"
"Im stalling. "

And the whe thing with Ashton after Lateralus? "Congratulations, you win a $100 gift certificate to Tower Records." Then something else I didn't catch.. Then somethin about "All you can eat at Spencers Gifts"? He then said "as for you guys... " and I forgot the rest.

He even thanked us for coming.

Kanaduh!!!! Great meeting you!! Good luck with finding a room. Sorry I wasn't much help. We left when Vicarious started cause I had something in my contact. Did Tweakbird always do that weird chicken skit with the styrafoam peanuts??
**Xyp**
08-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
- "10,000 Days / Wings for Marie" drum / bass tease
Flood
Aenima
- "Prison Sex" guitar tease
Lateralus
Vicarious

My sixth Tool show, and they will always bring it. MJK is exactly like everyone says he is in all the previous posts you've read here, but I didn't get the impression that he hated the crowd or anything... just that maybe his voice isn't what it once was. He was into the music, but wasn't singing high notes.

Whatever, folks... it's Tool. There's a reason you scrambled at 10am on a Saturday to get this ticket, or paid WAAAY over face value for it: it's Tool. They're one of the best live bands of our generation, and certainly one of the absolute best out on the road recently (with the possible exception of NIN, or the few and far between Rage reunion shows), with the best light show, and if they come around again, you'll get up early on your day off to pay exorbitant ticket prices to see them again.

Or maybe you wouldn't- and that would be your loss.

MJK, Adam, Danny, Justin (Junior, Rynne, Soundguys, Riggers, et al, etc.): thanks for a kick ass Friday night- you all worked it out and it was a good time.

See you, auntie.

Last edited by **Xyp**; 08-08-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
- "10,000 Days / Wings for Marie" drum / bass tease
Flood
Aenima
- "Prison Sex" guitar tease
Lateralus
Vicarious

My sixth Tool show, and they will always bring it. MJK is exactly like everyone says he is in all the previous posts you've read here, but I didn't get the impression that he hated the crowd or anything... just that maybe his voice isn't what it once was. He was into the music, but wasn't singing high notes.

Whatever, folks... it's Tool. There's a reason you scrambled at 10am on a Saturday to get this ticket, or paid WAAAY over face value for it: it's Tool. They're one of the best live bands of our generation, and certainly one of the absolute best out on the road recently (with the possible exception of NIN, or the few and far between Rage reunion shows), with the best light show, and if they come around again, you'll get up early on your day off to pay exorbitant ticket prices to see them again.

MJK, Adam, Danny, Justin (Junior, Rynne, Soundguys, Riggers, et al, etc.): thanks for a kick ass Friday night- you all worked it out and it was a good time.

See you, auntie.

Last edited by **Xyp**; 08-08-2009 at 11:38 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Goatfish
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Fantastic show. Was lucky enough to score box seats in dead center for face value. Tweak Bird's singer playing the theremin during Lateralus was AWESOME. I thought crowd was really into it and no complaints about the setlist. Stinkfist, Flood, and Lateralus were highlights for me. Aenema was cool too. I'd write more bu I'm on my iPhone.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Fantastic show. Was lucky enough to score box seats in dead center for face value. Tweak Bird's singer playing the theremin during Lateralus was AWESOME. I thought crowd was really into it and no complaints about the setlist. Stinkfist, Flood, and Lateralus were highlights for me. Aenema was cool too. I'd write more bu I'm on my iPhone.
08-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Xyp** View Post
Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
- beginning to "10,000 Days / Wings for Marie" (right? anyone?)
Flood
Aenima
Lateralus
Vicarious

See you, auntie.
We were also fooled by the Flood intro....sounds like the sound effects from Wings/10K Days...then we realized that it sorta made sense seeing as how it was Flood...overall a great show...I think Aenema and Lateralus were the highlights for me....tried to get a setlist from someone I think was Junior afterwards, but dickhead security shooed me away...visuals were amazing...this tour's visuals rivaled Radiohead and NIN for the best looking stage performance I have ever seen....see you in '11/'12
5/15/94--Cleveland, OH ; 11/15/96--Columbus, OH; 3/3/97--Dayton, OH; 7/20/97--Columbus, OH; 7/21/98--Columbus, OH; 5/18/01--Detroit, MI; 9/12/01--Dayton, OH(cancelled); 9/14/01--Columbus, OH; 8/31/02--Cincinnati, OH; 10/23/02--Toledo, OH; 9/21/06--Columbus, OH; 9/22/06--Detroit, MI; 9/25/06--Cleveland, OH; 6/15/07--Manchester, TN; 8/7/09--Cincinnati, OH; 1/24/2012--Toledo, OH; 6/5/2017--Pittsburgh, PA
Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Xyp** View Post
Jambi
(-) ions
Stinkfist
46&2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
- beginning to "10,000 Days / Wings for Marie" (right? anyone?)
Flood
Aenima
Lateralus
Vicarious

See you, auntie.
We were also fooled by the Flood intro....sounds like the sound effects from Wings/10K Days...then we realized that it sorta made sense seeing as how it was Flood...overall a great show...I think Aenema and Lateralus were the highlights for me....tried to get a setlist from someone I think was Junior afterwards, but dickhead security shooed me away...visuals were amazing...this tour's visuals rivaled Radiohead and NIN for the best looking stage performance I have ever seen....see you in '11/'12
5/15/94--Cleveland, OH ; 11/15/96--Columbus, OH; 3/3/97--Dayton, OH; 7/20/97--Columbus, OH; 7/21/98--Columbus, OH; 5/18/01--Detroit, MI; 9/12/01--Dayton, OH(cancelled); 9/14/01--Columbus, OH; 8/31/02--Cincinnati, OH; 10/23/02--Toledo, OH; 9/21/06--Columbus, OH; 9/22/06--Detroit, MI; 9/25/06--Cleveland, OH; 6/15/07--Manchester, TN; 8/7/09--Cincinnati, OH; 1/24/2012--Toledo, OH; 6/5/2017--Pittsburgh, PA
OFFLINE |  
Rico0076
08-07-2009, 11:57 PM

I heard the tease for Wings/10,000 Days. I also heard Adam tease Prison Sex a couple of times.

Great show!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

I heard the tease for Wings/10,000 Days. I also heard Adam tease Prison Sex a couple of times.

Great show!
OFFLINE |  
YUBitchin
08-08-2009, 04:38 AM

That was another great show.

Again, as in Charlotte, heard vocals all night. It's not a barber shop quartet.

What kills me are these reviews that try to pick apart MJK for anything from body language to attire to quotes to vocal range. This is what happens when you let American Idol fans in.

If you didn't enjoy that show, I feel for you. You have something in common with Maynard, you're both into making wine.

Also with the cam phones. You're told on your ticket, you're told at the gate and searched so there is no doubt that the cams aren't allowed. But of course it's security's fault when you get busted.

It's like "Hey I know I'm blocking your view behind me, but I must take this poorly lighted unbalanced blurry illegal picture from 50 yards away." And of course spend the rest of the song showing this mess to strangers, how pitiful.

I waited for the crowd to file out and heard a lot people bitchin' 'bout the show being too short, I mean a lot of people. Even those who loved the show. In Cincy, through Ticketmaster, my seat was $103, so I get it.

Great lights, great show, great venue. Thanks. Why can't we do this every weekend?

Last edited by YUBitchin; 08-08-2009 at 04:50 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

That was another great show.

Again, as in Charlotte, heard vocals all night. It's not a barber shop quartet.

What kills me are these reviews that try to pick apart MJK for anything from body language to attire to quotes to vocal range. This is what happens when you let American Idol fans in.

If you didn't enjoy that show, I feel for you. You have something in common with Maynard, you're both into making wine.

Also with the cam phones. You're told on your ticket, you're told at the gate and searched so there is no doubt that the cams aren't allowed. But of course it's security's fault when you get busted.

It's like "Hey I know I'm blocking your view behind me, but I must take this poorly lighted unbalanced blurry illegal picture from 50 yards away." And of course spend the rest of the song showing this mess to strangers, how pitiful.

I waited for the crowd to file out and heard a lot people bitchin' 'bout the show being too short, I mean a lot of people. Even those who loved the show. In Cincy, through Ticketmaster, my seat was $103, so I get it.

Great lights, great show, great venue. Thanks. Why can't we do this every weekend?

Last edited by YUBitchin; 08-08-2009 at 04:50 AM..
OFFLINE |  
brohar
08-08-2009, 05:44 AM

I've seen tool 5 times now dating back to 96 and for the first time completely disappointed. Not only did they play nearly the same set as 07, and maynard hides in the back doing nothing, both things I was expecting. But what i cannot understand is why Maynard is so low in the mix and I didnt see him once attempt a high or difficult note. He simply relied on vocal effects to carry out his yells. I thought the crowd was pretty unmoved too, but i couldnt blame them based on the performance. When i saw these guy at ozzfest the first time, they sounded great, maynard was out tearing it up, and every piece of sod in the lawn was in the air flying above a giant mosh pit. What i saw last night was crap. sorry, just my honest opinion.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

I've seen tool 5 times now dating back to 96 and for the first time completely disappointed. Not only did they play nearly the same set as 07, and maynard hides in the back doing nothing, both things I was expecting. But what i cannot understand is why Maynard is so low in the mix and I didnt see him once attempt a high or difficult note. He simply relied on vocal effects to carry out his yells. I thought the crowd was pretty unmoved too, but i couldnt blame them based on the performance. When i saw these guy at ozzfest the first time, they sounded great, maynard was out tearing it up, and every piece of sod in the lawn was in the air flying above a giant mosh pit. What i saw last night was crap. sorry, just my honest opinion.
OFFLINE |  
influenced's Avatar influenced
08-08-2009, 05:57 AM

The band came out and fucked with tweakbird during their set. Thanks to kanadah for the extra ticket at a great price. Thais to junior for the setlist even though the security guard was being a douche. Adam seemed to tease h during the intro to vicarious. Heading back home to Chicago and to lollapalooza.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #9

Bincount™: 2

The band came out and fucked with tweakbird during their set. Thanks to kanadah for the extra ticket at a great price. Thais to junior for the setlist even though the security guard was being a douche. Adam seemed to tease h during the intro to vicarious. Heading back home to Chicago and to lollapalooza.
OFFLINE |  
davz
08-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohar View Post
I partly agree, but mostly because of the mix. Even if Maynard's chords weren't up to snuff, he needed to be present in the mix, which he wasn't. Just disappointed because whenever I go to a tool show I take someone who has never been exposed to tool, and if all they get is the music and can't understand / hear the words, it just becomes another metal show to them. I left halfway through. I dunno, maybe after all of these years I'm growing out of Tool. I'm sure I'll be back, who knows.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohar View Post
I partly agree, but mostly because of the mix. Even if Maynard's chords weren't up to snuff, he needed to be present in the mix, which he wasn't. Just disappointed because whenever I go to a tool show I take someone who has never been exposed to tool, and if all they get is the music and can't understand / hear the words, it just becomes another metal show to them. I left halfway through. I dunno, maybe after all of these years I'm growing out of Tool. I'm sure I'll be back, who knows.
OFFLINE |  
eywillis15
08-08-2009, 07:43 AM

First time posting... I am a long-time Tool fan but this concert was my first. Question for those who have been to multiple on this tour: was the awful audio unique to Cincinnati or has it been at other venues too?

In general the sound quality was quite poor and I could barely hear the vocals. It drove me nuts. I just kept thinking the whole time that someone has to fix that. It can't be that difficult to change.

I would expect a band like Tool to have spectacular sound. It sounded like the audio on a bad Youtube video at times, at least from my section in the 200's.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

First time posting... I am a long-time Tool fan but this concert was my first. Question for those who have been to multiple on this tour: was the awful audio unique to Cincinnati or has it been at other venues too?

In general the sound quality was quite poor and I could barely hear the vocals. It drove me nuts. I just kept thinking the whole time that someone has to fix that. It can't be that difficult to change.

I would expect a band like Tool to have spectacular sound. It sounded like the audio on a bad Youtube video at times, at least from my section in the 200's.
OFFLINE |  
Surrenderedmind
08-08-2009, 07:51 AM

An amazing show all around!!!!

Tweak Bird blew my mind, I can honestly say that I am know a fan!

As far as TOOL goes, incredible as always. The highlights for me were Rosetta Stoned (normally don't care to much for this song live, but last night was AMAZING!), and Lateralus. I don't think there is anything I can complain about, other than the wings teaser, I thought they were going to switch it up a bit, since the Ohio crowds are always the best!!!! Eh, one can dream! All in all, I would like to thank the band for another great evening, and Maynard I don't care what they have been posting in here, you still have it!!! Welcome home!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

An amazing show all around!!!!

Tweak Bird blew my mind, I can honestly say that I am know a fan!

As far as TOOL goes, incredible as always. The highlights for me were Rosetta Stoned (normally don't care to much for this song live, but last night was AMAZING!), and Lateralus. I don't think there is anything I can complain about, other than the wings teaser, I thought they were going to switch it up a bit, since the Ohio crowds are always the best!!!! Eh, one can dream! All in all, I would like to thank the band for another great evening, and Maynard I don't care what they have been posting in here, you still have it!!! Welcome home!!!
OFFLINE |  
tooldude's Avatar tooldude
08-08-2009, 07:58 AM

pretty solid show...nice intimate venue.. would have liked to hear something different but oh well it still rocked...the band was tight.. maynard was talkative tonight. yeah, it sounded like they were gonna play 10,000 days for a second... they came out and threw packing peanuts and popcorn on tweak bird during their last 2 songs like they did with melt banana in 07.. anyone have any idea what the "new audio" is during lost keys? now im off to lollapalooza!
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

pretty solid show...nice intimate venue.. would have liked to hear something different but oh well it still rocked...the band was tight.. maynard was talkative tonight. yeah, it sounded like they were gonna play 10,000 days for a second... they came out and threw packing peanuts and popcorn on tweak bird during their last 2 songs like they did with melt banana in 07.. anyone have any idea what the "new audio" is during lost keys? now im off to lollapalooza!
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
OFFLINE |  
apctoolfan2268's Avatar apctoolfan2268
08-08-2009, 08:32 AM

This is really tuff for me.. I have followed the reviews of this mini-tour and have felt, as I always have, that TOOL fans can be too critical. "same set list" "sloppy old Maynard" "show too short" "mix no good".. I read all these things over and over and couldn't believe them.. not the TOOL I know.
So last night I take a close friend of mine and my daughter to their first TOOL show.... this is the hard part. Most of these reviews have been spot on. This was a good show ONLY because it was TOOL, but it was certainly not a typical TOOL show. It was my 5th TOOL show and ranks 5.
Anyone who has seen TOOL multiple times, have you ever NOT felt "HOLY SHIT" at the end of the show? Honestly, remember that feeling? I thought maybe perhaps being my 5th show that I was jaded, but when it was over my friend and daughter, both BIG TOOL fans, said "it was ok" "it was pretty good". HHHmmmm? that wow factor was missing..
I still love TOOL.. I'll still buy every piece of media they put out. But $80 in shirts, over $300 in tix and a 3 hr drive one way... and I walk out telling my TOOL "virgins" that I'm sorry, TOOL are usually a lot better than that.

sec 100 row O... gotta say hey to Jason and his pal from Detroit. Nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the show more than I did. I gave you wrong info dude. Incubus are NOT playing the festival in Pomona. Not sure where I heard that now. But Linkin Park and Alice in Chains are playing at the Pomona show. Peace Bro, GO LIONS!!

I'm not even trying to be harsh, it just wasn't "HOLY SHIT" , you know? Last thing, I don't care much for Flood, and frankly in anticipation of this show I found myself wishing they would play Right in Two or The Pot instead... I was COMPLETELY wrong.. Flood was the highlight of the show.. it had that "thing" (whatever "it" is) that the rest of the show lacked.

See you on the next tour, yes I'll be there, because I believe that the next time I walk out of a TOOL show I'll say, "HOLY SHIT"

Last edited by apctoolfan2268; 08-08-2009 at 08:47 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
Level 4 - Thinker

This is really tuff for me.. I have followed the reviews of this mini-tour and have felt, as I always have, that TOOL fans can be too critical. "same set list" "sloppy old Maynard" "show too short" "mix no good".. I read all these things over and over and couldn't believe them.. not the TOOL I know.
So last night I take a close friend of mine and my daughter to their first TOOL show.... this is the hard part. Most of these reviews have been spot on. This was a good show ONLY because it was TOOL, but it was certainly not a typical TOOL show. It was my 5th TOOL show and ranks 5.
Anyone who has seen TOOL multiple times, have you ever NOT felt "HOLY SHIT" at the end of the show? Honestly, remember that feeling? I thought maybe perhaps being my 5th show that I was jaded, but when it was over my friend and daughter, both BIG TOOL fans, said "it was ok" "it was pretty good". HHHmmmm? that wow factor was missing..
I still love TOOL.. I'll still buy every piece of media they put out. But $80 in shirts, over $300 in tix and a 3 hr drive one way... and I walk out telling my TOOL "virgins" that I'm sorry, TOOL are usually a lot better than that.

sec 100 row O... gotta say hey to Jason and his pal from Detroit. Nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the show more than I did. I gave you wrong info dude. Incubus are NOT playing the festival in Pomona. Not sure where I heard that now. But Linkin Park and Alice in Chains are playing at the Pomona show. Peace Bro, GO LIONS!!

I'm not even trying to be harsh, it just wasn't "HOLY SHIT" , you know? Last thing, I don't care much for Flood, and frankly in anticipation of this show I found myself wishing they would play Right in Two or The Pot instead... I was COMPLETELY wrong.. Flood was the highlight of the show.. it had that "thing" (whatever "it" is) that the rest of the show lacked.

See you on the next tour, yes I'll be there, because I believe that the next time I walk out of a TOOL show I'll say, "HOLY SHIT"

Last edited by apctoolfan2268; 08-08-2009 at 08:47 AM..
OFFLINE |  
420scooter
08-08-2009, 08:35 AM

My girlfriend was very upset about one thing...evey show on this tour, to my knowledge, Maynard has stripped down to his skivvies during the drumsterbation part, and this show he did not...it's very funny to hear your normally reserved gf screaming at the top of her lungs..."fucking take it off!!!"
Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #15

My girlfriend was very upset about one thing...evey show on this tour, to my knowledge, Maynard has stripped down to his skivvies during the drumsterbation part, and this show he did not...it's very funny to hear your normally reserved gf screaming at the top of her lungs..."fucking take it off!!!"
OFFLINE |  
capthowdy1027
08-08-2009, 08:47 AM

Awesome show. I was in the pit, the closest I've ever been to the band and probably the closest I'll ever get. The venue was so small though I don't think anybody would have had a bad seat. The sound was great, everybody in the band nailed it. This was my 4th time seeing them in 12 years and I dare say this way for sure my favorite.

Everybody was cool, didn't have to fight and push people around in the pit. We were able to just stand there and enjoy the show. My wife was actually a little bit worried going into it, but aside from not being able to see the whole show just cause she's so short, everything was fine.

Hung out at Riverdowns for a couple hours before the show with fellow TDNer FrankBlack007 and his wife. Very nice people and was glad we got to meet. Ran into them again in the merch line, then again when they were headed to there seats. Very cool people, hope to hang out again one day.

But yeah, great show, solid 10 out of 10.

Favorite songs: Ænema, Lateralus and Vicarious. I'm sure I'll get hated on for this but Flood was actually probably my least favorite song. I love the hell out of that song but for some reason I just don't think it fit with this set list, especially coming right off of Rosetta Stoned. That's just my opinion, so whatever.

Had a great night, had a lot of beers and alot of fun.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

Awesome show. I was in the pit, the closest I've ever been to the band and probably the closest I'll ever get. The venue was so small though I don't think anybody would have had a bad seat. The sound was great, everybody in the band nailed it. This was my 4th time seeing them in 12 years and I dare say this way for sure my favorite.

Everybody was cool, didn't have to fight and push people around in the pit. We were able to just stand there and enjoy the show. My wife was actually a little bit worried going into it, but aside from not being able to see the whole show just cause she's so short, everything was fine.

Hung out at Riverdowns for a couple hours before the show with fellow TDNer FrankBlack007 and his wife. Very nice people and was glad we got to meet. Ran into them again in the merch line, then again when they were headed to there seats. Very cool people, hope to hang out again one day.

But yeah, great show, solid 10 out of 10.

Favorite songs: Ænema, Lateralus and Vicarious. I'm sure I'll get hated on for this but Flood was actually probably my least favorite song. I love the hell out of that song but for some reason I just don't think it fit with this set list, especially coming right off of Rosetta Stoned. That's just my opinion, so whatever.

Had a great night, had a lot of beers and alot of fun.
OFFLINE |  
reflection1mind's Avatar reflection1mind
08-08-2009, 08:48 AM

3rd show- Show was amazing, I pretty much knew what the setlist was going to be, and was still blown away. So much energy and excitement. Nice to see Maynard give his shout out to his home state. No complaints, because it's Tool...stop the bitchin it, would be nice to have an ounce of their talent. If all you do is bitch then don't go, it will give some us who wanted to buy tickets at face value a chance.

Last edited by reflection1mind; 08-08-2009 at 10:24 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

3rd show- Show was amazing, I pretty much knew what the setlist was going to be, and was still blown away. So much energy and excitement. Nice to see Maynard give his shout out to his home state. No complaints, because it's Tool...stop the bitchin it, would be nice to have an ounce of their talent. If all you do is bitch then don't go, it will give some us who wanted to buy tickets at face value a chance.

Last edited by reflection1mind; 08-08-2009 at 10:24 AM..
OFFLINE |  
lostmytool
08-08-2009, 08:49 AM

I have supported this band since '93. I am in my late 30's now and I wouldn't say I am the biggest fan but I still have them in my top 5 of all time fav's. I've seen them 7 or 8 times. Newport Music Hall in Columbus '96 on Aenima tour was the best I've "EVER" seen them. '97 Hara Arena in Dayton w/ Melvins was great too. I even had the sweet opportunity to see them at The LA Forum on Lateralus tour in '02.

I wish for my old Tool. The Tool that made me excited and pumped up. The Tool that meant something special to me. I know this is coming off as a negative rant but last night just didn't do it for me. My expectations were not met. My feelings stem from their lack of giving die hard fans a little more for the $$$. I've seen the big arena shows, seen the changes in the band. Different times, different energy, different everything. It used to be about the music, the mighty power of Tool live was something to behold. Now it's more about the mood: lighting, lasers, and imagery. Less music and performance and more about lining up the music to the stage show. I like it but c'mon for christ sakes, mix it up guys. Throw the long time fan a chestnut or two for his $100: DIG? Those time wasting noise/feedback intermissons could have been better served for one or two more songs. Good show but very mailed in and uneventful.
Last night was a let down.

I miss MY Tool
Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

I have supported this band since '93. I am in my late 30's now and I wouldn't say I am the biggest fan but I still have them in my top 5 of all time fav's. I've seen them 7 or 8 times. Newport Music Hall in Columbus '96 on Aenima tour was the best I've "EVER" seen them. '97 Hara Arena in Dayton w/ Melvins was great too. I even had the sweet opportunity to see them at The LA Forum on Lateralus tour in '02.

I wish for my old Tool. The Tool that made me excited and pumped up. The Tool that meant something special to me. I know this is coming off as a negative rant but last night just didn't do it for me. My expectations were not met. My feelings stem from their lack of giving die hard fans a little more for the $$$. I've seen the big arena shows, seen the changes in the band. Different times, different energy, different everything. It used to be about the music, the mighty power of Tool live was something to behold. Now it's more about the mood: lighting, lasers, and imagery. Less music and performance and more about lining up the music to the stage show. I like it but c'mon for christ sakes, mix it up guys. Throw the long time fan a chestnut or two for his $100: DIG? Those time wasting noise/feedback intermissons could have been better served for one or two more songs. Good show but very mailed in and uneventful.
Last night was a let down.

I miss MY Tool
OFFLINE |  
08-08-2009, 08:50 AM

So who was in the chicken get up and who was chasing him around with, what I thought was a large bone? One of them was a chick tho, she had boobs!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

So who was in the chicken get up and who was chasing him around with, what I thought was a large bone? One of them was a chick tho, she had boobs!
croatoa
08-08-2009, 09:32 AM

Well, we were section 100 row M, Faaarr house right/stage left, and I'm afraid our experience suffered for it.

Had friends in the pit who said it sounded good there, not in our section. Jambi sounded horrifyingly muddy where we were sitting, it started to get a little better with Stinkfist, and then even a tiny bit better for 46 & 2, but even then still pretty awful. Could just barely hear Maynard and even then couldn't make out a single word he said/sang. Ugh.

Sounds like many of you had better audible experiences from where you were sitting and that's cool.
Don't think I can blame the band or crew for this one, I think it was the venue and our far off to the side position.

*Sigh*, 18th Tool show and I'd have to rank it right at the bottom at number 18 in terms of best to worst experiences (May of 2001 @ Detroit State Theater for Pre-Seminal 4 city mini tour was far and away #1).

*Frowny Face*
Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Well, we were section 100 row M, Faaarr house right/stage left, and I'm afraid our experience suffered for it.

Had friends in the pit who said it sounded good there, not in our section. Jambi sounded horrifyingly muddy where we were sitting, it started to get a little better with Stinkfist, and then even a tiny bit better for 46 & 2, but even then still pretty awful. Could just barely hear Maynard and even then couldn't make out a single word he said/sang. Ugh.

Sounds like many of you had better audible experiences from where you were sitting and that's cool.
Don't think I can blame the band or crew for this one, I think it was the venue and our far off to the side position.

*Sigh*, 18th Tool show and I'd have to rank it right at the bottom at number 18 in terms of best to worst experiences (May of 2001 @ Detroit State Theater for Pre-Seminal 4 city mini tour was far and away #1).

*Frowny Face*
OFFLINE |  
Toolfan#1's Avatar Toolfan#1
08-08-2009, 09:53 AM

SETlIST:
JAMBI
STINKFIST (EXTENDED)
46 & 2
SCHISM
**NEW AUDIO**
LOST KEYS
ROSETTA STONED
AENEMA
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS

This was my sixth TOOL show and while I have seen this setlist many of times it still seems to kick ass when played. I still got chills when Jambi kicked in and during the climax of Stinkfist. There were a few tecnical hiccups such as Justin's bass pedal fucking up during the last part of Rosetta Stoned but they recovered fine and I believe Maynard said "oops." On another good note Maynard's vocals seemed more mix up into the mix than usual and not as weighed down in effects although maybe it was just me. The venue was awesome it was very small so there was not a bad seat in the place and it is no wonder why it sold out it 2 minutes . It was kind of disappointing to see Maynard leave the stage at the end when the rest of the band was clapping and throwing merchendise out. It seemed kind of wierd 3 out of 4 of the members. Personally I think this litte 15 date tour was all monetary and none of them were die hard into the show because they have done it for 3 1/2 years now so it isn't really their fault. But it was well worth the $400 spent on two TOOL tickets at that fucking rip off scalper site.
Can't wait until their next album tour.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

SETlIST:
JAMBI
STINKFIST (EXTENDED)
46 & 2
SCHISM
**NEW AUDIO**
LOST KEYS
ROSETTA STONED
AENEMA
LATERALUS
VICARIOUS

This was my sixth TOOL show and while I have seen this setlist many of times it still seems to kick ass when played. I still got chills when Jambi kicked in and during the climax of Stinkfist. There were a few tecnical hiccups such as Justin's bass pedal fucking up during the last part of Rosetta Stoned but they recovered fine and I believe Maynard said "oops." On another good note Maynard's vocals seemed more mix up into the mix than usual and not as weighed down in effects although maybe it was just me. The venue was awesome it was very small so there was not a bad seat in the place and it is no wonder why it sold out it 2 minutes . It was kind of disappointing to see Maynard leave the stage at the end when the rest of the band was clapping and throwing merchendise out. It seemed kind of wierd 3 out of 4 of the members. Personally I think this litte 15 date tour was all monetary and none of them were die hard into the show because they have done it for 3 1/2 years now so it isn't really their fault. But it was well worth the $400 spent on two TOOL tickets at that fucking rip off scalper site.
Can't wait until their next album tour.
08-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Amazing show...loved every second of it. This was my first time at PNC Pavillion and the acoustics at this place are perfect (FAR better than US Bank Arena a few miles away). The band was tight as a nun's twat with Aenima and Flood being powerhouse highlights. This was my 4th Tool show and it ties Columbus as best sound (Columbus wins with a slightly better setlist).

Visuals were awesome as usual...great job, junior. High concentration of hardcore fans, so the douchebag quotient was appealingly low. There was a friend of a friend who scored a last-second seat and was kicked out two songs in for, in his account, being next to someone who was taking pictures (someone he didn't know). Anyone else hear of anything like that happening? I'd be kicking and screaming if I had done no wrong.

Very nice to hang out with CaptainHowdy & co. before the show over at River Downs, chasing down some suds. He was able to reassure me as he walked past with his poster that I would get one too (He was right). Nice meeting you guys. We'll have to do it again.

Honestly, anyone who complains about this show should be forced to sit through an endless Jonas Bros concert. That'll learn ya, buttplugs!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Amazing show...loved every second of it. This was my first time at PNC Pavillion and the acoustics at this place are perfect (FAR better than US Bank Arena a few miles away). The band was tight as a nun's twat with Aenima and Flood being powerhouse highlights. This was my 4th Tool show and it ties Columbus as best sound (Columbus wins with a slightly better setlist).

Visuals were awesome as usual...great job, junior. High concentration of hardcore fans, so the douchebag quotient was appealingly low. There was a friend of a friend who scored a last-second seat and was kicked out two songs in for, in his account, being next to someone who was taking pictures (someone he didn't know). Anyone else hear of anything like that happening? I'd be kicking and screaming if I had done no wrong.

Very nice to hang out with CaptainHowdy & co. before the show over at River Downs, chasing down some suds. He was able to reassure me as he walked past with his poster that I would get one too (He was right). Nice meeting you guys. We'll have to do it again.

Honestly, anyone who complains about this show should be forced to sit through an endless Jonas Bros concert. That'll learn ya, buttplugs!
OFFLINE |  
cwbtool's Avatar cwbtool
08-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Good show last night. It was my second time seeing them, and they didn't disappoint. I'd have to say Flood, Aenima, and Lateralus were the highlights for me, as well as Stinkfist. Went with three friends who had never been to a Tool show before and they were blown away. Kick ass visuals as usual, the band was on all night, my only complaint was that I had a hard time hearing Maynard... but overall great show, thank you Tool for a great performance.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Good show last night. It was my second time seeing them, and they didn't disappoint. I'd have to say Flood, Aenima, and Lateralus were the highlights for me, as well as Stinkfist. Went with three friends who had never been to a Tool show before and they were blown away. Kick ass visuals as usual, the band was on all night, my only complaint was that I had a hard time hearing Maynard... but overall great show, thank you Tool for a great performance.
OFFLINE |  
capthowdy1027
08-08-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBlack007 View Post
There was a friend of a friend who scored a last-second seat and was kicked out two songs in for, in his account, being next to someone who was taking pictures (someone he didn't know). Anyone else hear of anything like that happening?
My friend was using his cell phone to record a video and one of the security guards pulled him out of the pit. I thought he was gone for sure, but he came back about 5 minutes later and said the security guard told him if he deleted the footage from his phone he'd let him back in. So he sat there and watched him delete everything and let him come back. He told my friend that usually Riverbend doesn't care but the band very much said they didn't want any pictures or video to be taken. Of course it pissed my friend off and he bitched about it the rest of the night, but I think he should have just considered himself lucky that he got to stay for the rest of the show. It's not like he didn't see all the signs that said no cameras.

Last edited by capthowdy1027; 08-08-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBlack007 View Post
There was a friend of a friend who scored a last-second seat and was kicked out two songs in for, in his account, being next to someone who was taking pictures (someone he didn't know). Anyone else hear of anything like that happening?
My friend was using his cell phone to record a video and one of the security guards pulled him out of the pit. I thought he was gone for sure, but he came back about 5 minutes later and said the security guard told him if he deleted the footage from his phone he'd let him back in. So he sat there and watched him delete everything and let him come back. He told my friend that usually Riverbend doesn't care but the band very much said they didn't want any pictures or video to be taken. Of course it pissed my friend off and he bitched about it the rest of the night, but I think he should have just considered himself lucky that he got to stay for the rest of the show. It's not like he didn't see all the signs that said no cameras.

Last edited by capthowdy1027; 08-08-2009 at 10:48 AM..
OFFLINE |  
apctoolfan2268's Avatar apctoolfan2268
08-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatoa View Post

*Frowny Face*

I'll have to agree. I think the 100 section (I was two rows behind you) sounded awful and even had a poor angle of the stage screens and lights. I left during Schism (to relieve my full bladder and refill it with another beer) and I stood at the entryway for section 100 for the end of Schism. Sounded great :) I posted above detailing my experience and I have to agree it was location. I'm not hating on the band at all, but it just wasn't a good show for my daughter my friend and myself
Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatoa View Post

*Frowny Face*

I'll have to agree. I think the 100 section (I was two rows behind you) sounded awful and even had a poor angle of the stage screens and lights. I left during Schism (to relieve my full bladder and refill it with another beer) and I stood at the entryway for section 100 for the end of Schism. Sounded great :) I posted above detailing my experience and I have to agree it was location. I'm not hating on the band at all, but it just wasn't a good show for my daughter my friend and myself
OFFLINE |  
3rdEyeTired's Avatar 3rdEyeTired
08-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico0076 View Post

Great show!
Tease Prison Sex...haha....

4th show and like everyone knows, no matter how "disappointed" they are about MJK or how "bad" the sound is, TooL is the greatest. period.

I heard the drum pound and fade out and turned to my girlfriend "holy shit are we going to get 10,000 Days!?!?!" but it turned out to be Flood, not that is by any means a shitty replacement. I was totally amped "heeerrre comes the waaaateerrrrr" holy shit!

Stinkfist (extended) - come on, if youve seen it, even on you tube, you know that is with out a doubt one of the best performances - EVER!

LateraLus - my personal favorite song and i didnt think tweakbird did a terrible job

Lost Keys - i know theres gotta be more people that feel like i do about watching this live, but i totally just leave my body have this high thats pretty euphoric

I loved this show and the previous three shows. They are all masters of their instruments and i feel absolutly privileged to be alive in this time to witness such a beautiful masterpiece.

TooL, i hope to see you again brothers...Welcome home...
Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico0076 View Post

Great show!
Tease Prison Sex...haha....

4th show and like everyone knows, no matter how "disappointed" they are about MJK or how "bad" the sound is, TooL is the greatest. period.

I heard the drum pound and fade out and turned to my girlfriend "holy shit are we going to get 10,000 Days!?!?!" but it turned out to be Flood, not that is by any means a shitty replacement. I was totally amped "heeerrre comes the waaaateerrrrr" holy shit!

Stinkfist (extended) - come on, if youve seen it, even on you tube, you know that is with out a doubt one of the best performances - EVER!

LateraLus - my personal favorite song and i didnt think tweakbird did a terrible job

Lost Keys - i know theres gotta be more people that feel like i do about watching this live, but i totally just leave my body have this high thats pretty euphoric

I loved this show and the previous three shows. They are all masters of their instruments and i feel absolutly privileged to be alive in this time to witness such a beautiful masterpiece.

TooL, i hope to see you again brothers...Welcome home...
08-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthowdy1027 View Post
I saw security warn the same people 3 and 4 times, several people, and never took the camera or even threatened action. Two different guards apologized saying it wasn't their decision.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #27
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by capthowdy1027 View Post
I saw security warn the same people 3 and 4 times, several people, and never took the camera or even threatened action. Two different guards apologized saying it wasn't their decision.
OFFLINE |  
3rdEyeTired's Avatar 3rdEyeTired
08-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedabused View Post
I think the chicken was Maynard, dude chasin him was Justin and Adam had a gorilla mask on or somethin
Old 08-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I think the chicken was Maynard, dude chasin him was Justin and Adam had a gorilla mask on or somethin
08-08-2009, 11:55 AM

I was just wondering if anyone knows who is talking during Lost Keys? The closest I have came is astronaut Edgar Mitchell, could this be right? Help! Must know! Can't sleep!lol
Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

I was just wondering if anyone knows who is talking during Lost Keys? The closest I have came is astronaut Edgar Mitchell, could this be right? Help! Must know! Can't sleep!lol
OFFLINE |  
ConsciousAndFREE
08-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Well, this was my very first tool concert, and the very best concert i have ever experienced in my life! Wow...where do i begin? I have been a tool fan since about 98. I have never had the money or time to experience them until now. I was in san francisco and i bought the tickets and i guess the ticketmaster service was all fucked up and i freaked out and thought i lost the 3 tickets i purchased but i was able to buy them somehow and got the most kickass seats! in section 102!
So i did some research on the pnc pavillion venue and found that it was quite smaller than i expected when i got here. I still wonder why they would play in a small venue. I watched and enjoyed tweak bird a little bit then waited for tool to come out, and eventually they showed. What im about to tell you all is true and you can believe what you want but i swear to god this is true: About halfway throught the concert, i see a girl with this kickass looking camera, and the guy next to me says thats danny careys girlfriend, so i stood next to her between a song and i was SOOO nervouse the only thing i could say was "hi." she replied with a "hello," then i nearly pissed myself. The greatest thing i have ever experienced next to sex...
Oh and btw.. maynardisms for the concert were
"hi"
"I was born in ohio, and it was boring, so i can see why you all came up here" (i think)
"time to put your clothes back on naked people"
and a few others i coudn't really hear.
Aenema was the highlight along with lateralus..hell they were all godlike
Old 08-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Well, this was my very first tool concert, and the very best concert i have ever experienced in my life! Wow...where do i begin? I have been a tool fan since about 98. I have never had the money or time to experience them until now. I was in san francisco and i bought the tickets and i guess the ticketmaster service was all fucked up and i freaked out and thought i lost the 3 tickets i purchased but i was able to buy them somehow and got the most kickass seats! in section 102!
So i did some research on the pnc pavillion venue and found that it was quite smaller than i expected when i got here. I still wonder why they would play in a small venue. I watched and enjoyed tweak bird a little bit then waited for tool to come out, and eventually they showed. What im about to tell you all is true and you can believe what you want but i swear to god this is true: About halfway throught the concert, i see a girl with this kickass looking camera, and the guy next to me says thats danny careys girlfriend, so i stood next to her between a song and i was SOOO nervouse the only thing i could say was "hi." she replied with a "hello," then i nearly pissed myself. The greatest thing i have ever experienced next to sex...
"hi"
"I was born in ohio, and it was boring, so i can see why you all came up here" (i think)
Aenema was the highlight along with lateralus..hell they were all godlike
OFFLINE |  
ConsciousAndFREE
08-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
it was adam jones in the chicken costume
Justin was the guy in the mask chasing him
JUST TO CLEAR THAT UP FOR ALL OF YOU.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
it was adam jones in the chicken costume
Justin was the guy in the mask chasing him
JUST TO CLEAR THAT UP FOR ALL OF YOU.
OFFLINE |  
corwinator3407
08-08-2009, 01:18 PM

My second time seeing the group, the last was in '07 in Cincy. I'm still debating which of the two I thought was better. But I am glad that whatever bad timing issues were being discussed in the previous show threads from this tour were gone, at least in my opinion everyone was spot on.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

My second time seeing the group, the last was in '07 in Cincy. I'm still debating which of the two I thought was better. But I am glad that whatever bad timing issues were being discussed in the previous show threads from this tour were gone, at least in my opinion everyone was spot on.
OFFLINE |  
JCRaven
08-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Usedabused: That might have been me in front of you. It was my first Tool show, sorrrrrrry for getting into the music in a different way than you do. I had a good time anyway. It was an awesome show and I hope they come back again soon.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Usedabused: That might have been me in front of you. It was my first Tool show, sorrrrrrry for getting into the music in a different way than you do. I had a good time anyway. It was an awesome show and I hope they come back again soon.
OFFLINE |  
YUBitchin
08-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousAndFREE View Post
"hi"
"$50 coupon to Chess King" for Tweak.
"I'm stalling. Let's see. Where was I? Oh yeah. Songs."
"So I heard this show sold out in point five seconds."
Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsciousAndFREE View Post
"hi"
"$50 coupon to Chess King" for Tweak.
"I'm stalling. Let's see. Where was I? Oh yeah. Songs."
"So I heard this show sold out in point five seconds."
OFFLINE |  
PapaSmurf
08-08-2009, 04:44 PM

I have been a fan of Tool since I first saw/heard Sober on MTV. I've bought all their records the day they were released, but never was able to catch them live, until last night. They have been on top of my "must see list" for years. But after reading all the nitpicky, negative reviews on this site I was a little concerned. Now, I've been to hundreds of show over the last 20 years, and maybe last night was a fluke. But I saw one of the most original,inventive and uncompromising bands of all time last night. The venue was unique to me (fuck lawn seating!), the crowd was into it, and Tool rang my bell. Just how I like it. MJK did what he has always done - bridge the gap between wierd and beauty. He is the " bizzaro-world's David Lee Roth. And Danny Carey done what only Danny Carey can do. He is the only drummer I can think of who assumes the role of "lead guitarist", know what I mean? Not bad for a big ol' white boy from Kansas. Anyway, all the whinning crybabies on this page should just be glad that ,in a nation of idiots, a band like Tool was able to rise up with the cream, and continue at such a high level for all these years.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

I have been a fan of Tool since I first saw/heard Sober on MTV. I've bought all their records the day they were released, but never was able to catch them live, until last night. They have been on top of my "must see list" for years. But after reading all the nitpicky, negative reviews on this site I was a little concerned. Now, I've been to hundreds of show over the last 20 years, and maybe last night was a fluke. But I saw one of the most original,inventive and uncompromising bands of all time last night. The venue was unique to me (fuck lawn seating!), the crowd was into it, and Tool rang my bell. Just how I like it. MJK did what he has always done - bridge the gap between wierd and beauty. He is the " bizzaro-world's David Lee Roth. And Danny Carey done what only Danny Carey can do. He is the only drummer I can think of who assumes the role of "lead guitarist", know what I mean? Not bad for a big ol' white boy from Kansas. Anyway, all the whinning crybabies on this page should just be glad that ,in a nation of idiots, a band like Tool was able to rise up with the cream, and continue at such a high level for all these years.
OFFLINE |  
Pallone99
08-08-2009, 05:46 PM

Drove 5 hours from Detroit. Bought a $100 signed poster. Show was good, vocals were muddy except for a few songs, Lateralus was a highlite for me.

Anyway, my wife and I ran into Maynard later in the evening at our hotel. It was 1:00am and we were getting into an elevator, Maynard and I guess a body guard walked on before us and I said "hey Maynard", the body guard says "we'll get the next one" and they quickly exit the elevator. WTF? I wasn't stalking him, didn't ask for an autograph or picture, just said "hey" it was a total coincidence. Jesus what a dick... Sorry for recognizing you. Next time I'll avert my eyes and keep my mouth shut. Oh well, my wife and I got a good laugh out of it later.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Drove 5 hours from Detroit. Bought a $100 signed poster. Show was good, vocals were muddy except for a few songs, Lateralus was a highlite for me.

Anyway, my wife and I ran into Maynard later in the evening at our hotel. It was 1:00am and we were getting into an elevator, Maynard and I guess a body guard walked on before us and I said "hey Maynard", the body guard says "we'll get the next one" and they quickly exit the elevator. WTF? I wasn't stalking him, didn't ask for an autograph or picture, just said "hey" it was a total coincidence. Jesus what a dick... Sorry for recognizing you. Next time I'll avert my eyes and keep my mouth shut. Oh well, my wife and I got a good laugh out of it later.
OFFLINE |  
vestal
08-08-2009, 06:30 PM

This was my 3rd time seeing the band. The first time was on their last tour in St. Louis. I was so completely blown away that as soon as I came home I went online to see when I could see them next, which happened to be in Chicago 2 days later.

At that first show in St. Louis, I thought literally that I was going to die, that my heart was going to be pulled out of my chest and that at the very least, the powerful vibrations from the sound would cause an irregularity in my heart rhythm and I would surely die of a heart attack. Once I came to the conclusion that no one had yet died at a Tool show, I relaxed and allowed myself to become completely overwhelmed and had one of the best nights of my life. Ditto in Chicago a couple of days later. After the show I was walking on air, as was everyone around me. People were talking to one another with expressions of wonder and happiness.

Not so much this show. I had what I thought was the best seat in the house. First row dead center section 101. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear Maynard at all. I brought my friend with me who is a Tool virgin. She was determined to get up to speed with their music, listening intently and a lot--with lyrics, all of their music, then, specifically their setlist once I saw what it was going to be. Even though she had listened to Anema for weeks prior to the show, because it was not on the "setlist" mix cd I made for her (as I did not expect it to be played) the sound was so bad, she did not even recognize the song.

Don't get me wrong, I did love the show and I love the band and I'm glad I went however, that special something was missing for me too. Maynard did not do the difficult parts, which was a disappointment for me. Also, I would have hoped that the band would have done a very different setlist from the last time they toured.

That they have toured again and don't have a new cd and there is no talk of them in the works for a new cd make me fear they may just have jumped the shark. If that is so, I am very sorry as Tool is a wonderful band with really inventive, magical ideas, both musically and lyrically. I hope that this tour reminds them of the magic that they can create and this will inspire them back to the studio so the world can once more be crazy happy.

I'm happy for the folks who said they had good sound and that this was their best Tool show ever. I wish I could have said the same. I'm not giving up though. Come to St. Louis guys! You sold out there too, remember?!

Reading the prior note about Maynard in the elevator saddens me. I know there are lots of nutty folks in america but geeez, Maynard...... I know you're great and all, but please try to get over yourself a little bit.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 3rd time seeing the band. The first time was on their last tour in St. Louis. I was so completely blown away that as soon as I came home I went online to see when I could see them next, which happened to be in Chicago 2 days later.

At that first show in St. Louis, I thought literally that I was going to die, that my heart was going to be pulled out of my chest and that at the very least, the powerful vibrations from the sound would cause an irregularity in my heart rhythm and I would surely die of a heart attack. Once I came to the conclusion that no one had yet died at a Tool show, I relaxed and allowed myself to become completely overwhelmed and had one of the best nights of my life. Ditto in Chicago a couple of days later. After the show I was walking on air, as was everyone around me. People were talking to one another with expressions of wonder and happiness.

Not so much this show. I had what I thought was the best seat in the house. First row dead center section 101. The sound was terrible. I could hardly hear Maynard at all. I brought my friend with me who is a Tool virgin. She was determined to get up to speed with their music, listening intently and a lot--with lyrics, all of their music, then, specifically their setlist once I saw what it was going to be. Even though she had listened to Anema for weeks prior to the show, because it was not on the "setlist" mix cd I made for her (as I did not expect it to be played) the sound was so bad, she did not even recognize the song.

Don't get me wrong, I did love the show and I love the band and I'm glad I went however, that special something was missing for me too. Maynard did not do the difficult parts, which was a disappointment for me. Also, I would have hoped that the band would have done a very different setlist from the last time they toured.

That they have toured again and don't have a new cd and there is no talk of them in the works for a new cd make me fear they may just have jumped the shark. If that is so, I am very sorry as Tool is a wonderful band with really inventive, magical ideas, both musically and lyrically. I hope that this tour reminds them of the magic that they can create and this will inspire them back to the studio so the world can once more be crazy happy.

I'm happy for the folks who said they had good sound and that this was their best Tool show ever. I wish I could have said the same. I'm not giving up though. Come to St. Louis guys! You sold out there too, remember?!

Reading the prior note about Maynard in the elevator saddens me. I know there are lots of nutty folks in america but geeez, Maynard...... I know you're great and all, but please try to get over yourself a little bit.
OFFLINE |  
08-08-2009, 07:35 PM

I personally thought the vocals sounded bad too. Just all muddied up. It was like that last time I saw them in 07. I thought it was the venue then. Apparently it's not.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I personally thought the vocals sounded bad too. Just all muddied up. It was like that last time I saw them in 07. I thought it was the venue then. Apparently it's not.
08-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRaven View Post
Section 200 row I ?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #39
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRaven View Post
Section 200 row I ?
vestal
08-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Yes, that's too bad about Maynard. I hope he gets his head back together soon. It can't be comfortable carrying around all that load.

Oh, and one more comment about their setlist, when they played Lost Keys, instead of having the original audio (conversation of the nurse and the doctor in the er) from the cd, they played some other audio of people talking and the video screen showed kind of smeared/blurry, black & white pictures of people's faces. I could not understand what they were saying and almost thought it was George Bush on the pix. Seems to me that if they were going to pipe in some audio, it would have been nice to play what was in the original song. At least it would have made sense. Then again, had the audio been clear, I might have gleaned what they were attempting to communicate this time and been thrilled with the change.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

Yes, that's too bad about Maynard. I hope he gets his head back together soon. It can't be comfortable carrying around all that load.

Oh, and one more comment about their setlist, when they played Lost Keys, instead of having the original audio (conversation of the nurse and the doctor in the er) from the cd, they played some other audio of people talking and the video screen showed kind of smeared/blurry, black & white pictures of people's faces. I could not understand what they were saying and almost thought it was George Bush on the pix. Seems to me that if they were going to pipe in some audio, it would have been nice to play what was in the original song. At least it would have made sense. Then again, had the audio been clear, I might have gleaned what they were attempting to communicate this time and been thrilled with the change.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply