Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
-=MT=-
04-23-2006, 12:39 AM

How about the fact that the previews match the songs? Do you think they traveled to other countries to host listening parties for a fake album? I'm sure they have better things to do with their time.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 AM   #81
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Fake: a more concise look

How about the fact that the previews match the songs? Do you think they traveled to other countries to host listening parties for a fake album? I'm sure they have better things to do with their time.
OFFLINE |  
Rezbit's Avatar Rezbit
04-23-2006, 01:54 AM

I think someone's hyping himself up for a BIG disappointment come May. Is it so hard to believe 10,000 Days is the real deal?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #82
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63

I think someone's hyping himself up for a BIG disappointment come May. Is it so hard to believe 10,000 Days is the real deal?
OFFLINE |  
Grimace's Avatar Grimace
04-23-2006, 07:08 AM

good thread for the non believers...

i dont know if its been mentioned already, but i think the product placement in rosetta stoned could be another clue, sunkist and sudafed, and im sure iv heard a few more in there.

those familar with bill hicks and how he has inspired a lot of tools music, would also be familar with his outright contempt for artists selling out for corporate companies.. now not saying money changed hands for these brief mentions, but it does seem very strange for maynard to slip them in there..
Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #83
Level 2 - Poster

i dont know if its been mentioned already, but i think the product placement in rosetta stoned could be another clue, sunkist and sudafed, and im sure iv heard a few more in there.

those familar with bill hicks and how he has inspired a lot of tools music, would also be familar with his outright contempt for artists selling out for corporate companies.. now not saying money changed hands for these brief mentions, but it does seem very strange for maynard to slip them in there..
OFFLINE |  
Samadhi Junky
04-23-2006, 07:32 AM

Honestly, "10,000 Days" is hilarious! Not only the lyrical content, but also the circus surrounding it -- not to mention a horrible, piercing guitar sound during track 8 er 10.

It sounds like "The Wall" + "Animals" (both Pink Floyd) + unreleased leftover B-sides. There is no real central theme to glue the album together, other than the fact that it's funny... and that it's album 1 (or a prelude) in a 2 album set, 1 of which is due on May 2nd.

Seriously, look at the artwork and then listen to the bootlegged album. No connection.

"Timmay!"

They may top The Beatles with this trick...

Last edited by Samadhi Junky; 04-23-2006 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 AM   #84

Honestly, "10,000 Days" is hilarious! Not only the lyrical content, but also the circus surrounding it -- not to mention a horrible, piercing guitar sound during track 8 er 10.

It sounds like "The Wall" + "Animals" (both Pink Floyd) + unreleased leftover B-sides. There is no real central theme to glue the album together, other than the fact that it's funny... and that it's album 1 (or a prelude) in a 2 album set, 1 of which is due on May 2nd.

Seriously, look at the artwork and then listen to the bootlegged album. No connection.

"Timmay!"

They may top The Beatles with this trick...

Last edited by Samadhi Junky; 04-23-2006 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: grammar
OFFLINE |  
grasmaaier
04-23-2006, 08:11 AM

I just can't believe that so many people don't believe it's real. really.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #85
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I just can't believe that so many people don't believe it's real. really.
OFFLINE |  
Masterangelbasher
04-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Is a double album so hard to imagine? I have a big problem with people pointing to danny's drums as a reason it's fake.......He has used them for the last three albums....
Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #86
Level 4 - Thinker

Is a double album so hard to imagine? I have a big problem with people pointing to danny's drums as a reason it's fake.......He has used them for the last three albums....
OFFLINE |  
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-23-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason NHB
Not that my opinion matters much... but a friend of mine, that listens to Tool all the time, said the following: "This sounds like a bunch of old tool songs? doenst soiund real almost". Never did he say it sucked or it was garbage or anything like that. He just thought something was off when he heard it. He doesnt visit tool forums everyday like we do and come up with crazy conspiracies. I really dont think thisi is the album and if it is then I guess you get what you get.
I had the same thing with one my friends, he has not heard any of the fake album stuff, and said "Is the real thing you think? Something sounds wrong. "
Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #87
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason NHB
Not that my opinion matters much... but a friend of mine, that listens to Tool all the time, said the following: "This sounds like a bunch of old tool songs? doenst soiund real almost". Never did he say it sucked or it was garbage or anything like that. He just thought something was off when he heard it. He doesnt visit tool forums everyday like we do and come up with crazy conspiracies. I really dont think thisi is the album and if it is then I guess you get what you get.
I had the same thing with one my friends, he has not heard any of the fake album stuff, and said "Is the real thing you think? Something sounds wrong. "
OFFLINE |  
ArizonaBay's Avatar ArizonaBay
04-23-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace

Yeah and krispy kremes. Thats some good thinking
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #88
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:

Yeah and krispy kremes. Thats some good thinking
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-23-2006, 11:11 AM

I love this album so much i wish there was more of it. Why is the packaging steroscopic? We have to use our own two eyes to see the third image. We have to look for ourselves to find the answer and not rely on anothers vision.

We can even hold the answer in our own two hands without seeing it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #89
Level 4 - Thinker

I love this album so much i wish there was more of it. Why is the packaging steroscopic? We have to use our own two eyes to see the third image. We have to look for ourselves to find the answer and not rely on anothers vision.

We can even hold the answer in our own two hands without seeing it.
OFFLINE |  
zet
04-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeng
Ive got a question: What would be the point in releasing a fake album with poorer quality songs just before the realease of a real album? It would mean that people who have already downloaded it would be less likely to go out and buy the real version because a)they are cunts; and b)they think it sucks. If the leaked version did prove to be a fake, by the time it is known to the general public the real album would be available to download anyway
The point is to fuck around with all these "devotee's". Think, not follow.

The leak is not all fake, but its certainly not what will be released soon.

My opinion anyway,

Cheers,
z
Old 04-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #90
zet
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Ive got a question: What would be the point in releasing a fake album with poorer quality songs just before the realease of a real album? It would mean that people who have already downloaded it would be less likely to go out and buy the real version because a)they are cunts; and b)they think it sucks. If the leaked version did prove to be a fake, by the time it is known to the general public the real album would be available to download anyway
The point is to fuck around with all these "devotee's". Think, not follow.

The leak is not all fake, but its certainly not what will be released soon.

My opinion anyway,

Cheers,
z
OFFLINE |  
tollll12
04-23-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterangelbasher

It's not his drums per se, but a specific drum. He did not have the Mandala on the last three albums. That is why it is easy to tell that Vicarious is from the latest recording session - the use of the Mandala is obvious. It's definately absent from every other track on the leak however.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #91
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterangelbasher

It's not his drums per se, but a specific drum. He did not have the Mandala on the last three albums. That is why it is easy to tell that Vicarious is from the latest recording session - the use of the Mandala is obvious. It's definately absent from every other track on the leak however.
OFFLINE |  
ZeroGlass
04-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Another thing i just picked up is that the end of Wings for Marie (PArt 1) where the bass is just slammed like two times, then theres that horrible gap that seems to take ages, if the song is suppposed to blend into 10000 Days (Part 2) , why cant i hear that bass rumbling when Part 2 starts, it just seems to cut off...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #92
Level 4 - Thinker

Another thing i just picked up is that the end of Wings for Marie (PArt 1) where the bass is just slammed like two times, then theres that horrible gap that seems to take ages, if the song is suppposed to blend into 10000 Days (Part 2) , why cant i hear that bass rumbling when Part 2 starts, it just seems to cut off...
OFFLINE |  
drone007
04-23-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollll12

you don't think the mandala was used on Intension? i think it was...

imma laugh if there is a double cd but the new material is all tool cover songs or something and you guys have to be content with 10,000 Days leaked version being the new material.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #93

Quote:

you don't think the mandala was used on Intension? i think it was...

imma laugh if there is a double cd but the new material is all tool cover songs or something and you guys have to be content with 10,000 Days leaked version being the new material.
04-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Wrong. He uses the mandala in Intension and Right in Two. Listen to Right in Two, about 50 seconds in, until 1:20. That's the mandala my friend.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #94
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Wrong. He uses the mandala in Intension and Right in Two. Listen to Right in Two, about 50 seconds in, until 1:20. That's the mandala my friend.
OFFLINE |  
Masterangelbasher
04-23-2006, 02:00 PM

That drum has been used on Aenema and Lateralus. Go listen. Go look at past magazine articles with danny talking about them. He has had them in at least one form or another for a long time. Like since before tool. He used them a little in aenema, and a lot in Lateralus. Anything you hear them do that sounds like a synth have been done on these drums. If I could peel my ears away from the new stuff I would be going back and referencing, but I can't. So there...
Old 04-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #95
Level 4 - Thinker

That drum has been used on Aenema and Lateralus. Go listen. Go look at past magazine articles with danny talking about them. He has had them in at least one form or another for a long time. Like since before tool. He used them a little in aenema, and a lot in Lateralus. Anything you hear them do that sounds like a synth have been done on these drums. If I could peel my ears away from the new stuff I would be going back and referencing, but I can't. So there...
OFFLINE |  
Dr. Strangefist
04-23-2006, 02:05 PM

that's not really correct. He's been using electronic drums for a long time, but these particular ones are new.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #96
Level 2 - Poster

that's not really correct. He's been using electronic drums for a long time, but these particular ones are new.
OFFLINE |  
newrnewt's Avatar newrnewt
04-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
(assuming the album is fake)
maybe tool dont give two shits for people who steal their music in the first place; if people who downloaded it dont like the album AND dont buy it because they think its shit, tool wont care because they have such contempt for ppl who attempted to steal the album.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #97
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
(assuming the album is fake)
maybe tool dont give two shits for people who steal their music in the first place; if people who downloaded it dont like the album AND dont buy it because they think its shit, tool wont care because they have such contempt for ppl who attempted to steal the album.
OFFLINE |  
magnolia's Avatar magnolia
04-23-2006, 04:54 PM

The backpedalling is going to be hilarious! I can't wait until May 2nd. THis place is going to be so much fun.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #98
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

The backpedalling is going to be hilarious! I can't wait until May 2nd. THis place is going to be so much fun.
OFFLINE |  
tollll12
04-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrack29

Well I am in a library studying right now, and I don't have any headphones so I can't listen. But, from what I remember about Intension, at around that time mark Danny starts using his tabla (similar spelling to Mandala, perhaps that is why you are confused). Later in Intension there are some really strange noises those are his simmons drums. There is also a long tabla solo in Right in Two, which sounds similar to the solo he plays in Push It on Salival. He has been using the tabla since Aenima, and it is not an electronic drum, but it does sound much different than the drums on a traditional drumset.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrack29

Well I am in a library studying right now, and I don't have any headphones so I can't listen. But, from what I remember about Intension, at around that time mark Danny starts using his tabla (similar spelling to Mandala, perhaps that is why you are confused). Later in Intension there are some really strange noises those are his simmons drums. There is also a long tabla solo in Right in Two, which sounds similar to the solo he plays in Push It on Salival. He has been using the tabla since Aenima, and it is not an electronic drum, but it does sound much different than the drums on a traditional drumset.
OFFLINE |  
fendius
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
More and more I think the leak is fake. I think the tracks, other than Vicarious, that were release were b-sides that existed before they began production on the album that will be released on May 2nd. I have collected a lot of evidence and here it is in as concise a format as I can get it in order to most evident to least:

1. In the September 2005 newsletter Blair wrote: "Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design." Read it for yourself http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

2. Here is a clip from a 2002 show that you can clearly hear the intro to Wings to Marie http://download.yousendit.com/D2F68E5C3AAE87EE -- from this it's evident that at least one track has existed for quite a while.

3. Listen to Vicarious (which I think is a legit track from the new album), listen to the drum that sounds like an alarm at about 40 seconds into the song. It's an electronic drum right? So what, Danny has lots of them. Well what is special about this drum is that it's his new drum, he didn't have it on any of the previous albums. It was made exlusively for him (other people can now buy it). The difference between this and his other drums is that it can be configured to make a louder sound the harder you hit it. That is why he is able to make that alarm sound gradually grow louder. On his other electronic drums it doesn't matter how hard you hit them, they make the same sound. Now, you say, so what? Well go to the website for the drum (http://synesthesiacorp.com/home.html) and click "endorsees". You will see a picture of Danny and a line that says "listen for Mandalas [the name of the drum] all over Tool's upcoming release 10,000 days." well I have listend all over 10,000 days, and guess what? Vicarious is the only song where this drum appears. There are spots with other electonic sounds, but nothing he hasn't done before - nothing like the alarm sound on Vicarious. Why would Danny work with this company to design a drum that he only uses in one song? Why does the site say "look for it all over 10,000 days" when it's in only one song? Because these leaked songs existed before Danny had the drum.

4. Listen to The Pot. Get past the begining where Maynard sounds like Madonna. Now listen to his voice. That voice is what his voice sounded like 10 years ago - it does not sound like that anymore because he has gotten older. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor. Listen to how hard it is. Listen to how he slaps it. Justin doesn't play like that. Listen to a few songs on Undertow and then a few on Lateralus (or just listen to Vicarious) there is a big difference in the way the base guitar is played on both of those albums (don't listen to AEnima - both Justin and Paul played on it). The difference in style in the way the base is played in The Pot and Vicarious is striking. It's obvious that The Pot has existed for a long time.

6. This reason is weak since I don't have a source, but I remember reading an interview in drummer's world or something with Danny Carey, and he mentioned that they had enough material left over from Lateralus to make another album.

5. - This one is notedly weak, and people disagree with me on it, and that's fine, but I think it's valid.... The lyrics suck. Perhaps suck is the wrong word. I think Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious, but it's more along the lines of Maynard's Dick, which was a hidden track. I don't think Tool would ever release something that non-sensical - ditto on The Pot. As for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days, I know the song is about his mother, but the lyrics are way to christian for me - they are from the guy who wrote "Fuck your God, your lord, your Christ.", "praise the one who left you broken down and paralized, he did it all for you","deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow", "you showed us you weren't affraid to die, well so long." etc. etc. It seems odd now that we get, "i have come home now fetch me the spirit the son, and the father tell them their pillar of faith has ascended it's time now, my time now
give me my, give me my, wings" I know it's about his mom - but he did write the song Judith, which made me blush when I found out that was his mom's name... maybe he felt bad after she died.

Well, that's what I've got. Honestly I was quite dissapointed when I heard this album the first time. I read an interview with either Justin or Adam that said they wanted to try something different on this album, perhaps make it into the next Wall. And he said that they were the only band out now that could do that. He is right, they are the only band that could do something that monumental, and this leaked album is not it. After I had put this evidence together and convinced myself that this album wasn't real, I started to enjoy the songs. I am happy that Tool has given it's eager fans something to listen to. And I am doubly excited that we get the real deal on may 2nd.

What do you all think... let the name calling commence.

I like this new leak, and it is growing on me, but i couldn't have said it better, PEOPLE go with your gut on this, this is a decoy and if you love it good, but we are all fans of tool and I am 100% positive THEY would want us to question this...
Old 04-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #100
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
More and more I think the leak is fake. I think the tracks, other than Vicarious, that were release were b-sides that existed before they began production on the album that will be released on May 2nd. I have collected a lot of evidence and here it is in as concise a format as I can get it in order to most evident to least:

1. In the September 2005 newsletter Blair wrote: "Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design." Read it for yourself http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

2. Here is a clip from a 2002 show that you can clearly hear the intro to Wings to Marie http://download.yousendit.com/D2F68E5C3AAE87EE -- from this it's evident that at least one track has existed for quite a while.

3. Listen to Vicarious (which I think is a legit track from the new album), listen to the drum that sounds like an alarm at about 40 seconds into the song. It's an electronic drum right? So what, Danny has lots of them. Well what is special about this drum is that it's his new drum, he didn't have it on any of the previous albums. It was made exlusively for him (other people can now buy it). The difference between this and his other drums is that it can be configured to make a louder sound the harder you hit it. That is why he is able to make that alarm sound gradually grow louder. On his other electronic drums it doesn't matter how hard you hit them, they make the same sound. Now, you say, so what? Well go to the website for the drum (http://synesthesiacorp.com/home.html) and click "endorsees". You will see a picture of Danny and a line that says "listen for Mandalas [the name of the drum] all over Tool's upcoming release 10,000 days." well I have listend all over 10,000 days, and guess what? Vicarious is the only song where this drum appears. There are spots with other electonic sounds, but nothing he hasn't done before - nothing like the alarm sound on Vicarious. Why would Danny work with this company to design a drum that he only uses in one song? Why does the site say "look for it all over 10,000 days" when it's in only one song? Because these leaked songs existed before Danny had the drum.

4. Listen to The Pot. Get past the begining where Maynard sounds like Madonna. Now listen to his voice. That voice is what his voice sounded like 10 years ago - it does not sound like that anymore because he has gotten older. Listen to the base. That is Paul D'Amour not Justin Chancellor. Listen to how hard it is. Listen to how he slaps it. Justin doesn't play like that. Listen to a few songs on Undertow and then a few on Lateralus (or just listen to Vicarious) there is a big difference in the way the base guitar is played on both of those albums (don't listen to AEnima - both Justin and Paul played on it). The difference in style in the way the base is played in The Pot and Vicarious is striking. It's obvious that The Pot has existed for a long time.

6. This reason is weak since I don't have a source, but I remember reading an interview in drummer's world or something with Danny Carey, and he mentioned that they had enough material left over from Lateralus to make another album.

5. - This one is notedly weak, and people disagree with me on it, and that's fine, but I think it's valid.... The lyrics suck. Perhaps suck is the wrong word. I think Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious, but it's more along the lines of Maynard's Dick, which was a hidden track. I don't think Tool would ever release something that non-sensical - ditto on The Pot. As for Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days, I know the song is about his mother, but the lyrics are way to christian for me - they are from the guy who wrote "Fuck your God, your lord, your Christ.", "praise the one who left you broken down and paralized, he did it all for you","deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow", "you showed us you weren't affraid to die, well so long." etc. etc. It seems odd now that we get, "i have come home now fetch me the spirit the son, and the father tell them their pillar of faith has ascended it's time now, my time now
give me my, give me my, wings" I know it's about his mom - but he did write the song Judith, which made me blush when I found out that was his mom's name... maybe he felt bad after she died.

Well, that's what I've got. Honestly I was quite dissapointed when I heard this album the first time. I read an interview with either Justin or Adam that said they wanted to try something different on this album, perhaps make it into the next Wall. And he said that they were the only band out now that could do that. He is right, they are the only band that could do something that monumental, and this leaked album is not it. After I had put this evidence together and convinced myself that this album wasn't real, I started to enjoy the songs. I am happy that Tool has given it's eager fans something to listen to. And I am doubly excited that we get the real deal on may 2nd.

What do you all think... let the name calling commence.

I like this new leak, and it is growing on me, but i couldn't have said it better, PEOPLE go with your gut on this, this is a decoy and if you love it good, but we are all fans of tool and I am 100% positive THEY would want us to question this...
OFFLINE |  
cosmokramer's Avatar cosmokramer
04-23-2006, 05:23 PM

ya know the more i read about the leak the happier i am i havent downloaded it. im not planning on it either. This way i will know what I hear the first time I listen to the new cd is really it. i wont have to get my hopes up for something that may or might not be coming...
Old 04-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #101
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

ya know the more i read about the leak the happier i am i havent downloaded it. im not planning on it either. This way i will know what I hear the first time I listen to the new cd is really it. i wont have to get my hopes up for something that may or might not be coming...
04-23-2006, 05:42 PM

Man... so I've been lurking on this forum for years but never registered or posted anything before... but this place is getting out of control.

First off, my opinion of 10000 days is that it's a pretty good album, but I'll agree it does not feel cohesive by any stretch of the imagination, at least not like we're used to with their previous works. Also, the amount of rehashed guitar rif***e is kind of questionable, but I've never found Adam Jones to EVER stray too far from his D to F to G chord progressions. Perhaps I just find that there's a little too much open D power chord chugging on this album... which can get a little fatiguing. Now, I think Vicarious is a great song, probably the best rockin' Tool song on the record, but it does borrow a little from Lateralus's Schism at the beginning and the end... particularly Jones' reusing of fast pentatonic hammer-ons....I love the vocals however....

Anyway... I digress. I guess since I've never posted here I have a lot of opinions on all things Tool that belong in dozens of different topics so I'll just say this:

I never questioned the authenticity of this album until I started reading the many threads providing "evidence" about a b-sides/rarities album. But the more I read, the more I think I'm letting my dissapointment in the overall album lead me to be seduced by these, quite frankly, improbable possibilities. Maybe in the end we will have to just accept that the band just wasn't necessarily as inspired and "on the same page" together this time around, resulting in the disjointedness of the theme/flow/originality of the album. Alright, I'm out for now... sorry for wasting your time.

but really.... Maynard does sound at least ten years younger on the Pot.........:)
Old 04-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #102
Level 1 - Lurker

Man... so I've been lurking on this forum for years but never registered or posted anything before... but this place is getting out of control.

First off, my opinion of 10000 days is that it's a pretty good album, but I'll agree it does not feel cohesive by any stretch of the imagination, at least not like we're used to with their previous works. Also, the amount of rehashed guitar rif***e is kind of questionable, but I've never found Adam Jones to EVER stray too far from his D to F to G chord progressions. Perhaps I just find that there's a little too much open D power chord chugging on this album... which can get a little fatiguing. Now, I think Vicarious is a great song, probably the best rockin' Tool song on the record, but it does borrow a little from Lateralus's Schism at the beginning and the end... particularly Jones' reusing of fast pentatonic hammer-ons....I love the vocals however....

Anyway... I digress. I guess since I've never posted here I have a lot of opinions on all things Tool that belong in dozens of different topics so I'll just say this:

I never questioned the authenticity of this album until I started reading the many threads providing "evidence" about a b-sides/rarities album. But the more I read, the more I think I'm letting my dissapointment in the overall album lead me to be seduced by these, quite frankly, improbable possibilities. Maybe in the end we will have to just accept that the band just wasn't necessarily as inspired and "on the same page" together this time around, resulting in the disjointedness of the theme/flow/originality of the album. Alright, I'm out for now... sorry for wasting your time.

but really.... Maynard does sound at least ten years younger on the Pot.........:)
OFFLINE |  
lordofthemunkie
04-23-2006, 06:03 PM

i gotta say after reading a couple threads on this board....

you people are a riot.

last night before i read this site i did make a comment in the ways of, "wow this album has a very old school tool sound to it" but that doesnt necessarily mean its a fake.

my personal opinion--these songs kick ass. if this is the cd, excellent...i'm still going to buy it. if its not, even better. more new music

take the music for what it is...youre setting yourself up for major disappointment. these consipiracy theories are absurd..you kids have waaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands. take a nap or something.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #103
Level 1 - Lurker

i gotta say after reading a couple threads on this board....

you people are a riot.

last night before i read this site i did make a comment in the ways of, "wow this album has a very old school tool sound to it" but that doesnt necessarily mean its a fake.

my personal opinion--these songs kick ass. if this is the cd, excellent...i'm still going to buy it. if its not, even better. more new music

take the music for what it is...youre setting yourself up for major disappointment. these consipiracy theories are absurd..you kids have waaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands. take a nap or something.
OFFLINE |  
mike09's Avatar mike09
04-23-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:

That's a good point. I never noticed that. The plot thickens....
Old 04-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #104
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:

That's a good point. I never noticed that. The plot thickens....
OFFLINE |  
adigra
04-23-2006, 09:58 PM

I don't intend to argue with anyone nor will I respond to any flaming, because, frankly, I don't care enough. I have never posted on any Tool message boards and have found this one only because I was curious after something seemed a bit off to me while listening to the leaked album. I've been a big fan of the band since Opiate and have followed them ever since... So upon listening to 10000 days for the first time I was very surprised how much the bass had the "slap" sound on some songs of their pre-Justin days. Very much Undertow but with a "deeper" production. It didn't sound like Justin at all to me. But I discarded it thinking maybe he had just changed it up for some songs. But then, another thing that slowly crept up on me during repeated listenings was how simplistic the guitar work is on Jambi following the complexity of Vicarious, and how the drums just don't seem as powerful as on the past albums. So I kept spinning the album often for days letting it grow on me in hopes of understanding what it was that bothered me. I came to the conclusion that some of you seem to agree with, that while quite good, it doesn't sound like something Tool would take so long to write and record. I thought they just got a bit lazy and repeated old tricks to make the fans happy. But then, on a completely unrelated website, someone mentioned this rumour about the album being a decoy, and it instantly made sense. So I did a search in hopes of finding out more, and ended up here...

I have no idea one way or the other, but it does sound plausible just purely based on the fact that for Lateralus the band did have "leaked" songs which were just some crap songs given Lateralus names, and this would be that much further along the same lines, plus just my gut feeling about something being slightly off about the album not moving the game on for Tool.

Don't get me wrong, some of the songs I think are great, and after so many listenings of the album I think I've even convinced myself that the whole thing is great and if this the real thing I think I will be happy because I certanly don't think any of the songs are bad. But on the other hand I really do hope there is more to it all because not only would that mean more Tool music but would also be one of the better hoaxes and very much along the lines of what KLF would've done.

Anyhow, upon reading the original post in the thread the whole bass theory instantly rung true to me.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #105
Level 2 - Poster

I don't intend to argue with anyone nor will I respond to any flaming, because, frankly, I don't care enough. I have never posted on any Tool message boards and have found this one only because I was curious after something seemed a bit off to me while listening to the leaked album. I've been a big fan of the band since Opiate and have followed them ever since... So upon listening to 10000 days for the first time I was very surprised how much the bass had the "slap" sound on some songs of their pre-Justin days. Very much Undertow but with a "deeper" production. It didn't sound like Justin at all to me. But I discarded it thinking maybe he had just changed it up for some songs. But then, another thing that slowly crept up on me during repeated listenings was how simplistic the guitar work is on Jambi following the complexity of Vicarious, and how the drums just don't seem as powerful as on the past albums. So I kept spinning the album often for days letting it grow on me in hopes of understanding what it was that bothered me. I came to the conclusion that some of you seem to agree with, that while quite good, it doesn't sound like something Tool would take so long to write and record. I thought they just got a bit lazy and repeated old tricks to make the fans happy. But then, on a completely unrelated website, someone mentioned this rumour about the album being a decoy, and it instantly made sense. So I did a search in hopes of finding out more, and ended up here...

I have no idea one way or the other, but it does sound plausible just purely based on the fact that for Lateralus the band did have "leaked" songs which were just some crap songs given Lateralus names, and this would be that much further along the same lines, plus just my gut feeling about something being slightly off about the album not moving the game on for Tool.

Don't get me wrong, some of the songs I think are great, and after so many listenings of the album I think I've even convinced myself that the whole thing is great and if this the real thing I think I will be happy because I certanly don't think any of the songs are bad. But on the other hand I really do hope there is more to it all because not only would that mean more Tool music but would also be one of the better hoaxes and very much along the lines of what KLF would've done.

Anyhow, upon reading the original post in the thread the whole bass theory instantly rung true to me.
OFFLINE |  
nconcklin
04-25-2006, 03:17 AM

Hey, even if it is a hoax that means we get two complete Tool albums in one year.

Quote:
Perhaps to weed out the pseudofans?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #106
Level 3 - Talker

Hey, even if it is a hoax that means we get two complete Tool albums in one year.

Quote:
Perhaps to weed out the pseudofans?
OFFLINE |  
indelible inc.
04-25-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigra

I fully agree with you. I'm in the exact same boat and for me this is a win/win situation. Hoax or not, I've new Tool playing in my earphones again. And I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #107
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

I fully agree with you. I'm in the exact same boat and for me this is a win/win situation. Hoax or not, I've new Tool playing in my earphones again. And I couldn't be happier.
OFFLINE |  
TheSalaminizer's Avatar TheSalaminizer
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samadhi Junky
Q: Why would the track titles be released months in advance?

A: 'Cause it's a total Red Herring.
They were released around the same time the artwork hit the printers. I guess the band assumed the tracklist would leak anyways, so just went ahead and released it. Fairly sensible if you ask me...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #108
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Q: Why would the track titles be released months in advance?

A: 'Cause it's a total Red Herring.
They were released around the same time the artwork hit the printers. I guess the band assumed the tracklist would leak anyways, so just went ahead and released it. Fairly sensible if you ask me...
OFFLINE |  
egrue
04-25-2006, 11:22 AM

i'd love to know what kabir thinks about all this hoax stuff...unless he's "in on it"
Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #109

i'd love to know what kabir thinks about all this hoax stuff...unless he's "in on it"
OFFLINE |  
Noell's Avatar Noell
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I agree with you. The album as it is now is great, but it does not feel as "epic" as I had expected. Some songs feel like some nice jamsessions (still very good), others feel like a joke, a bit ironic.. but that's what they said right.. "This is our blues record, were singing the blues!"

Anyway, im not really bothered.. just gonna wait it out 'till the 2nd of may (allthough reading all this is amusing)..
Old 04-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #110
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

I agree with you. The album as it is now is great, but it does not feel as "epic" as I had expected. Some songs feel like some nice jamsessions (still very good), others feel like a joke, a bit ironic.. but that's what they said right.. "This is our blues record, were singing the blues!"

Anyway, im not really bothered.. just gonna wait it out 'till the 2nd of may (allthough reading all this is amusing)..
04-25-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch
2.) Who rips to MP4s? Some worker who obviously grabbed the CD from the warehouse and ripped it in iTunes. This isn't the first time I've seen someone so damn confused that the leak wasn't in MP3 format, and I don't understand why that's such an important point toward the theory of a decoy album.
when i upload a CD to iTunes its in MP3 format.

i know this because i upload songs from CDs to my computer via iTunes and then put them on my creative labs MP3 player..which doesnt support MP4 format, because it won't allow me to put any songs i've purchased on iTunes onto it.

the only MP4 music i've ever come across is music that i've downloaded directly from iTunes.

not that tool is even on iTunes.

but. uhm. if somebody did rip it in iTunes...it wouldn't still be in MP4 format.

or..at least not on my laptop.

thoughts?
Old 04-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #111
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonch
2.) Who rips to MP4s? Some worker who obviously grabbed the CD from the warehouse and ripped it in iTunes. This isn't the first time I've seen someone so damn confused that the leak wasn't in MP3 format, and I don't understand why that's such an important point toward the theory of a decoy album.

i know this because i upload songs from CDs to my computer via iTunes and then put them on my creative labs MP3 player..which doesnt support MP4 format, because it won't allow me to put any songs i've purchased on iTunes onto it.

the only MP4 music i've ever come across is music that i've downloaded directly from iTunes.

but. uhm. if somebody did rip it in iTunes...it wouldn't still be in MP4 format.

thoughts?
OFFLINE |  
magnolia's Avatar magnolia
04-25-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiiiral

thoughts?
You have iTunes set to rip in MP3. It can be set (I think it's also defaulted) to rip in M4A (it's not "MP4"). Smaller file size, shittier quality, iPod compatible. I rip in M4A all the time. The fact that it was leaked in M4A shouldn't effect any of the leak theories out there. It's just a matter of who ripped it and how they decided to do it.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #112
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiiiral

thoughts?
You have iTunes set to rip in MP3. It can be set (I think it's also defaulted) to rip in M4A (it's not "MP4"). Smaller file size, shittier quality, iPod compatible. I rip in M4A all the time. The fact that it was leaked in M4A shouldn't effect any of the leak theories out there. It's just a matter of who ripped it and how they decided to do it.
OFFLINE |  
lousyhero
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:

hooker with a penis referenced Vans, 501's and Coke... some of these theories are gettin a bit silly. although at least now we're all really looking forward to the official release despite the fact we've downloaded it a few weeks before.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #113
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

hooker with a penis referenced Vans, 501's and Coke... some of these theories are gettin a bit silly. although at least now we're all really looking forward to the official release despite the fact we've downloaded it a few weeks before.
OFFLINE |  
chopsy
04-25-2006, 04:33 PM

are any of you who are champions of this being the real deal going to address Wings for Marie being played in 2002? Just curious I'm not committing to either side but it seems like the strongest point he has is being ignored
Old 04-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #114
Level 1 - Lurker

are any of you who are champions of this being the real deal going to address Wings for Marie being played in 2002? Just curious I'm not committing to either side but it seems like the strongest point he has is being ignored
OFFLINE |  
Grimace's Avatar Grimace
04-25-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyhero
yes it did, but that was in the context of the song...

this just seems to be thrown in there for some catchy rhyme..
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #115
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyhero
yes it did, but that was in the context of the song...

this just seems to be thrown in there for some catchy rhyme..
OFFLINE |  
tcM_Emperor
04-25-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
5. the lyrics on Right in Two, Wings for Marie, Vicarious, and Jambi are easily Maynard's best.
Tell me you're kidding... "Stare like a junkie into the tv, stare like a zombie"

Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #116

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidium
5. the lyrics on Right in Two, Wings for Marie, Vicarious, and Jambi are easily Maynard's best.
Tell me you're kidding... "Stare like a junkie into the tv, stare like a zombie"

LeperKhan
04-25-2006, 06:26 PM

"looks to the sky crying 'why oh why?"
Old 04-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #117
Level 3 - Talker

"looks to the sky crying 'why oh why?"
OFFLINE |  
AMF
04-25-2006, 06:36 PM

You guys are absolutely ridiuclous hahahaha. Only Tool fans could come up with these things.......actually I shouldn't complain because this is only 1 retarded thread amidst a bunch of very cool ones I found since I started to read this board. You don't think people are allowed to write things years back but put them on record later? I personally have written close to 40 songs for my band, but when (if) they ever come out and I record them some will be from years ago! Is that wrong? No! Tool can do the same thing. As for the "oh the sound here is different therefore it can't be Tool" like w/Maynard's voice in The Pot, which is soooooooo ironic because if everything was "Tool by-the-numbers" on this record the same people would be complaining about a lack of new ideas or being creative and would be begging for something new. Same with those who think it sounds like Lateralus lefotvers or Undetow b-sides or whatever. You can't please everyone I suppose.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #118
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

You guys are absolutely ridiuclous hahahaha. Only Tool fans could come up with these things.......actually I shouldn't complain because this is only 1 retarded thread amidst a bunch of very cool ones I found since I started to read this board. You don't think people are allowed to write things years back but put them on record later? I personally have written close to 40 songs for my band, but when (if) they ever come out and I record them some will be from years ago! Is that wrong? No! Tool can do the same thing. As for the "oh the sound here is different therefore it can't be Tool" like w/Maynard's voice in The Pot, which is soooooooo ironic because if everything was "Tool by-the-numbers" on this record the same people would be complaining about a lack of new ideas or being creative and would be begging for something new. Same with those who think it sounds like Lateralus lefotvers or Undetow b-sides or whatever. You can't please everyone I suppose.
OFFLINE |  
godhenry
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM

if people keep using Blair's newsletters as evidence or supporting materials to prove anything about TOOL, I'm going to shoot somebody.

Listen to Undertow, look at the lyrics in, picture the evolution of TOOL's music and writing since, and if you still think the leak is a hoax, do us a favor and shoot yourself. There's no joke, and i'm not kidding here. Seriously, shoot yourself.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #119
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

if people keep using Blair's newsletters as evidence or supporting materials to prove anything about TOOL, I'm going to shoot somebody.

Listen to Undertow, look at the lyrics in, picture the evolution of TOOL's music and writing since, and if you still think the leak is a hoax, do us a favor and shoot yourself. There's no joke, and i'm not kidding here. Seriously, shoot yourself.
04-25-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Are you retarded? Let me ask you this then...

WHAT THE FUCK DOES UNDERTOW HAVE TO DO WITH OBESE PEOPLE AND RIBS?

Or...

WHAT THE FUCK DOES AENIMA HAVE TO DO WITH A BUNCH OF WEIRD EYES?

Maybe you don't get that eyes have been their theme for the last 3 albums......10,000 Days is consist with the ideas/concepts present on Aenima and Lateralus.

Seriously, I wonder if you guys do this conspircacy stuff to drive regular people insane because it's just so ridiculously dumb and obvious.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #120
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31

Quote:

Are you retarded? Let me ask you this then...

WHAT THE FUCK DOES UNDERTOW HAVE TO DO WITH OBESE PEOPLE AND RIBS?

Or...

WHAT THE FUCK DOES AENIMA HAVE TO DO WITH A BUNCH OF WEIRD EYES?

Maybe you don't get that eyes have been their theme for the last 3 albums......10,000 Days is consist with the ideas/concepts present on Aenima and Lateralus.

Seriously, I wonder if you guys do this conspircacy stuff to drive regular people insane because it's just so ridiculously dumb and obvious.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply