opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Nov-Dec 2006
User Name
Password
Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/12/08 - Nantes, FRA - Le Zenith

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/08 - Nantes, FRA - Le Zenith

Stinkfist
46&2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Swamp Song
---------------
Wings I & II
Lateralus
Vicarious
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

yeah, no Ænema... I was waiting for it, since it's one of my favorite songs (would I dare saying it's my favorite? I think I would). the band left the stage, I was ready to ask for an encore, then some dude went on stage, and began to unplug the drum module. some music came from the speakers, and the security told us to leave... I was like "hey!! you forgot a song!!!". now I want to go to Paris to hear Ænema!! that sucks -_-
later someone told me Ænima WAS on the setlist. :(

even though I didn't see anyone smoking or taking photos, maynard didn't communicate a lot. he kept his mask for the whole show, and barely faced the audience. and when he wasn't showing his back, he was looking at the ground... weird.

after forty six & 2, he said "I have good news and bad news, which do you want first?" the crowd answered "bad ", so he continued "bad news is we don't speak french. good news is we speak music". later he said "we will meet again soon. well, not really soon" (may not be accurate, I have bad memory). and that's pretty much everything he said. he didn't have to complain about smokers since they respected the rules.

obviously the show was fantastic, music was at its best, lights amazed everyone... but I guess the show would be even better is maynard wasn't that cold with the audience. :|
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-09-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
Banned.

yeah, i was there, no aenima, i reckon maynards vocal cords are tired, he didnt sing the last few lines on vicarious. in general the show was good, better than the spring tour anyway, but still far from the 2002 tour. i was a bit dissapointed having read the reviews for the recent shows, i was expecting it to be better really. they played the first half of the gig a little bit slow, which doesnt help maynards voice for holding notes and getting a nice flow going, the singing was kinda stop/start a lot of the time.
highlights were wings, lateralus and schism.
i think this was probably the first time since april that they didnt end with aenima, and the fact that maynard didnt sing the end of vicarious kinda left an empty feeling on the whole gig.
oh yeah and no one smoked in the hall at all, but he still wore the mask....maybe to isolate the mic from the drums and guitars? so he doesnt have to push his voice that extra little bit.
seeing them again tomorrow in paris, hoping for aenima and a bit more enthusiasm from maynard. the others were flawless really.
i think maynard might need to have an operation on his vocal cords when the 10k days tour is finally over. 6 albums in 10 years and virtually non stop touring has paid its toll, and without maynard at his best, tool is dead, and thats not melo-dramatic, its an understatement.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-09-2006, 06:44 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Don't tell me about it... Aenima is my favorite TOOL song ever. As I saw they played it at the end of all the previous shows, I was waiting for it. And they didn't play it !!!! You have no idea how disappointed and SAD I am...
I don't know what happened. I wonder, maybe there were not enough people ? Maybe the crowd was not enthusiastic enough ? I really don't understand but I'm so fucking disappointed... Can't be angry against the band because I love them too much, but I don't know... Maybe I was expecting too much from this show...
Argh damn, I horribly sad...
I guess shows are better when in a bigger town...

Besides I chose the wrong side of the stage and could barely see Maynard. :/
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
Don't tell me about it... Aenima is my favorite TOOL song ever. As I saw they played it at the end of all the previous shows, I was waiting for it. And they didn't play it !!!! You have no idea how disappointed and SAD I am...
I don't know what happened. I wonder, maybe there were not enough people ? Maybe the crowd was not enthusiastic enough ? I really don't understand but I'm so fucking disappointed... Can't be angry against the band because I love them too much, but I don't know... Maybe I was expecting too much from this show...
Argh damn, I horribly sad...
I guess shows are better when in a bigger town...

Besides I chose the wrong side of the stage and could barely see Maynard. :/
I think I know very well how disappointed you are. I've been waiting for the opportunity to see a Tool show for 11 years, and they had to shorten the show just for THAT one. -_-
I was just between maynard and danny, right in the middle, 40cm away from the front. can't think of a better spot, even if I couldn't see a part ot the lasers.
as a drummer, I was totally blown away. danny was fantastic.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majyk Oyster View Post
I think I know very well how disappointed you are. I've been waiting for the opportunity to see a Tool show for 11 years, and they had to shorten the show just for THAT one. -_-
I was just between maynard and danny, right in the middle, 40cm away from the front. can't think of a better spot, even if I couldn't see a part ot the lasers.
as a drummer, I was totally blown away. danny was fantastic.
It's terrible. I still feel sad and will probably need a few days to "recover"...
I discovered TOOL in 2001, so I've been waiting for this moment for about 5 years. I can't say that I'm disappointed, well not 100% but let's say 20%...

I was in the front row, on the very right of the stage, close to Justin. I wich I had chosen the other side, being a huge MJK fan and his voice, because from where I was I couldn't see him entirely, sometimes I just could see his head. Quite frustrating...

I guess yesterday wasn't my lucky day...

Yet it was an amazing experience. I had one laser juste above my head. I loved the show. Hypnotic. Like TOOL's music. I so love that band, I can't find the right words to express how I feel towards them.

I hope I will have the chance to see them again in the years to come. I need to see them again...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 160

Weird...Maynard wore the mask for a long time, but didn't wear it AT ALL at Lyon... explanation ?
Old 12-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 50

Fucking Maynard, if you can't sing then don't be on tour.

Sorry, I love the band and everything, but he's not singing parts of songs, wearing a stupid mask, and now cutting songs off the setlist? Crock of shit indeed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:40 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Hi,

First time ever I saw Tool live, so I was kinda nervous about it :)

First of all, I gotta congratulate Mastodon. It sure was not cool for the staff to open door a few moments before their performance and for the band to see people choosing their seat or where they'll stand during their show. I've got to add that their sound was absolutely awful. The voices were too weak, the basses were too loud and sometimes you couldn't understand shit of the songs.

Then came Tool. And man, was it impressive. The sound was perfect, just perfect. They began with Stinkfist if I remember correctly and it was just powerfull. I was hoping for them to mix the old ones with the new ones and that's just what they did : Wings part I and II, Jambi, Lost keys/Rosetta Stoned, Vicarious (last one) but also Forty Six & 2, Schism, Lateralus... The setlist was great as far as I'm concerned. I was just disappointed not to hear/see The Pot and especially Right in Two and of course Aenima and Parabol/Parabola.

What was really frustrating was the length of the show. One hour and a half. Period. Well, although I'm not that young, I can still hold on for another hour or so ;) Not even an "encore", nothing. They finished Vicarious, hugged themselves, Danny threw his sticks (man I should have got one) and bye, bye everyone, time to go home... Well, maybe I'll get more next time...

Still, a brilliant show in a really cool place (Zenith Nantes)

Special mention to the crowd wo was cool and thanks for the beer offered by some guy (who appeared to be English) which really set me in the mood for a great night ;)

Oh, one more message dedicated to Tool staff : I know there's a paranoia with the Internet, but man, keeping people's cellulars just because they are taking pictures is kinda extreme, isn't it ?

Charles
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 AM   #11
Level 3 - Talker

I agree with management/band on this one. People who constantly hold up their cellphone to take pictures/video's / audio footage are really damn annoying+ they're not enjoying the show at that time, their just making sure they get their 3 sec fragment (Crap quality 99% of the time.

Another thing that must be annoying is the flashing of those things. Damn !!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Fucking Maynard, if you can't sing then don't be on tour.

Sorry, I love the band and everything, but he's not singing parts of songs, wearing a stupid mask, and now cutting songs off the setlist? Crock of shit indeed.
You can't say that... I'm a huge fan of MJK and his voice. To me he has the most amazing and most beautiful voice in the world. So of course I was dissapointed on friday, but I'm not angry against him for various reasons : a voice is fragile, he has already done so many dates that his voice can be tired, besides it's winter so you can easily catch a cold or have a soar throat etc. He is human !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy_Brown View Post
He only wears it it the venues filled with smoke. I was witness of the show where he put it on just before Vicarious, because people started to smoke a lot.
I understand him, I'm a non-smoking person and I hate smoke. But during the concert, there was barely no smoke in the Zenith... Well I guess he was feeling good with the mask, I don't know. Ah well, I wish I had seeen his face a little bit more, but the show was great anyway. This guy and this band are really amazing.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

There was virtually no smoke in the Zenith Paris gig - non smoking venue, but he wore the mask throughout, so not sure what that was about
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Tool fan for long time - no need to give credentials. Maynard is not the singer he used to be. Hard to accept I know, you wanna think the best but face it Tool is no longer the greatest live show to see as it undoubedely was on the Lateralus tour. Perhaps screaming during the Grudge night after night for 2 years has contributed to Maynard's vocal collapse along with all the other screams. Maybe it would've paid off to mix up the setlist now and then. Now Maynard seems resentful towards audiences that pay money to see his stout frame look unmistakably disinterested and what's even better is that Tool puts on the worst show they ever have but charge more than ever before. Maynard acts like a 3 year old! He punishes paying people by playing or not playing songs. He leads us to believe we are being rewarded if we see a 90 minute show. Mr. Keenan has it backwards ebcause he thinks we're so lucky to witness his greatness but in reality it is he who is lucky enough to have his greatness witnessed. I'm great but it's unknown for the most part. Not as lucky as maynard. So what does someone who has an out of control ego do when their talent betrays them and reminds them they're approaching their mid forties? They make excuses and that's what MJK does now. He's sick, it's the smokers, the fans annoy him blah blah blah excuse, excuse, excuse. I don't pay money to watch man with a Napolean complex talk down to me. The Lateralus tour was positive and I left feeling inspired. Now I leave feeling cheated. MJK should stay in the vineyards because that is what makes him happy now. We should all strive to make the world a better place not a more miserable one. Misery loves company and Maynard's inviting 15000 people to join him each night. One last thing; I've been to 8 shows and heard Schism 8 times and Eulogy zero times. That's bullshit! Mix it up! No wonder they look so bored up there. Schism is a boring song and I'm bored hearing it over and over. Every time I hear the intro I contemplate booing the band but assume it would be counterproductive cuz they'd cut out Aenema or somethin.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi's_mum View Post
There was virtually no smoke in the Zenith Paris gig - non smoking venue, but he wore the mask throughout, so not sure what that was about
There was maybe not much smoke at your particular location, probably at the floor. But where I was sitting, it was "terrible". Due to the heat produced by the crowed, the air/smoke is rising to the higher parts of the volume, and is drifting over the stage...

People were smoking everywhere. Unlike other shows, there was no special request from the host or from Maynard to not smoke. I guess they know their auduence... It's a waste of time to ask the French not to smoke :).
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Fifth Tool show ... Third for the current year and the worst one ever ...
Maynard was probably ill ... the songs were not really powerfull and MJK was totally out of the show.
The good stuff was the lights : wonderfull light show with green lasers on Wings I & II and after on lateralis.
After Vicaoious, They left the stage without playing Aenema ... shit ;)

No "The Pot" ... why do they never play this song in France (Grenoble, Paris(june), Nantes and Paris(december)) and I was not in Lyon.

Finally, i don't understand why TOOL always play the same setlist ... they have so many beautiful songs ... H. / Eulogy / Jimmy / Pushit / THIRD EYE / Disposition Reflection / Parabol(a) ... Does someone have an idea about that subject ??
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

It sure may explain why they seemed so bored :)
I guess playing the same songs over and over again would annoy even the most patient man...

It would be great though to hear Right in Two or Sober live ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.u.p.h.o.r.i.a View Post
Unlike other shows, there was no special request from the host or from Maynard to not smoke.
you don't understand a word of french, do you? they asked people not to smoke a thousand times, with megaphones outside, when checking the tickets, and they were signs all over the place. and that's because tool asked for it.

I was extremely close from the stage, and I couldn't smell any smoke (and that comes from a non smoker who hates that smell), and before they used smoke machines, the air was cristal clear.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #19
Banned.

The only reason i can think of which would explain the fixed setlist is all the work involved in the videos and lights for each song.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #20
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majyk Oyster View Post
they asked people not to smoke a thousand times, with megaphones outside, when checking the tickets, and they were signs all over the place. and that's because tool asked for it.

I was extremely close from the stage, and I couldn't smell any smoke (and that comes from a non smoker who hates that smell), and before they used smoke machines, the air was cristal clear.
Are you sure you are talking about the Paris concert? ;)
My reply was to the others guys comment about Paris. Anyway, I'm not questioning how the air was at your spot, as I was not there. But on the higher rows, the air was thick, and up there we were talking about how good this would be for the laser show to come... I heard some announcements outside the venue, for the minute I was there, but nothing inside. Only the regular signs. On the red info wall, with rolling text, there was only information about stagedivers.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

this thread is about the nantes show actually :P

so you say you heard some announcements outside the venue, some signs all over the place, but "no special request from the host or from Maynard to not smoke"? what were you expecting? giant balloons? seems clear enough to me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Plus, the signs were quite clear :)

You'd only smoke because you wanted to, not because you didn't know it was not allowed...
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Hehe... Giant balloons is a great idea... Anyway, my comment was only that there was less requests for no smoking compared to other shows (ref the reviews). Personally, I don't need a sign at all ;). Maybe my comment about French being ignorant to this upset people, but this is just a quote from the guy who was sitting next to me, a frenchman :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 12-15-2006, 05:53 AM   #24
Level 2 - Poster

[ Maybe it would've paid off to mix up the setlist now and then. Now Maynard seems resentful towards audiences that pay money to see his stout frame look unmistakably disinterested and what's even better is that Tool puts on the worst show they ever have but charge more than ever before. Maynard acts like a 3 year old! He punishes paying people by playing or not playing songs. He leads us to believe we are being rewarded if we see a 90 minute show. Mr. Keenan has it backwards ebcause he thinks we're so lucky to witness his greatness but in reality it is he who is lucky enough to have his greatness witnessed. I'm great but it's unknown for the most part. Not as lucky as maynard. They make excuses and that's what MJK does now. He's sick, it's the smokers, the fans annoy him blah blah blah excuse, excuse, excuse. We should all strive to make the world a better place not a more miserable one. [So why are you posting such negative shite??????] Misery loves company and Maynard's inviting 15000 people to join him each night. One last thing; I've been to 8 shows and heard Schism 8 times and Eulogy zero times. That's bullshit! Mix it up! No wonder they look so bored up there. Schism is a boring song and I'm bored hearing it over and over. Every time I hear the intro I contemplate booing the band but assume it would be counterproductive cuz they'd cut out Aenema or somethin.[/QUOTE]

My apologie as I wasn't at the show (Just got back from Zurich) but I have to comment ...

"Who are you to wave your finger. You must have been outa your head. Soap box, house of cards, don't go tossin' your stones around!!!!!
Foot in mouth and head up asshole. Whatcha talkin bout?"

"Well now I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger you should know that
I'm the man, And if I'm the man,
Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.
All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,And you bought one. "

Fine, no credentials needed but get over yourself. What makes you think Maynard has been lucky .... yeah, no work involved. I'm sure you are great but give a guy a break and if the band wants to play schism why the hell shouldn't they!

Try to relax and enjoy the music and the experience. If you've been into the band for so long you, of all people should know that it is about more than just the songs or some vocals. I appreciate wanting to hear something badly (I have my dream list - slowly I am checking songs off - don't you think it was pretty good to hear Swampsong?) but enjoy what is offered.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: