opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #41
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10
Re: 2006/09/28 - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAssDirtyDollar View Post
MJK: Thank you. Good night.
Crowd: roars
MJK: uhh... Thank you. good night.
crowd: roars on
MJK: Thank you. Good Night. You thieves.
Correction:

MJK: Thank you. Goodnight.
Crowd: <small roar>
Crowd: <slightly louder roar>
MJK: I'm pulling fucking teeth here. Thank you. Goodnight.
Crowd: <loud roar>
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #42
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Hey, Thanks for setlist. The only other time I went to see tool was at ozzfest 98' I was an ozzfest junkie. I never listened to tool before that. They kicked ass then and now. I liked the deeper bass thou in 98 . It shook all my organs . But for the rest of the sound , and stage show last night words couldn't describe. There music and show gave me more of a buzz than any drug or drink. I'm not wasting type on the audience stuff. Theres idiots at every concert . It would be cool if they had tags on there forehead so they are easier to avoid.lol. I myself have seen many many bands live and tool was in the top ten for live sound and a tight performance. I'll leave you with this every band I see has the singer saying all kind of things nice to the crowd and talking way too much. Trying to get approval and stuff. Tool didn't need that . They just came out and kicked our ass and left . More music less talk tool is the bomb.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

I've been to 4 tool shows prior to this one. The band was tight as always although I thought the sound levels at times were off. I thought the setlist was ok, schism is getting tired but I guess you play that for the radio fans. I also think that Tool needs to step up & play a "HEADLINERS" set. Can you give us a 2 hour + show? The show started around 9:20 & ended about 11:15, too short, they could have added a couple songs off Opiate or Undertow (not sober or prison sex, again I think those are songs for the radio fans). I would also like to see instead of video on the side screens some shots of the band playing (who doesn't want to see dany rip his drum set). Didn't see anything special about the laser show, probably would have worked better at an indoor venue. Tool to me never plays a bad show I just think they need to evolve their show. Their music has progressed now it's time for their show to. (3 hour healiner w/ no opening band. "A night w/ TOOL" is that to much to ask.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was good, not great. Not top 5 tool show for me anyway. Rain sucked, and killed any energy people on the lawn had. Thanks to two assholes for moshing then fighting and almost mauling me and the 6 people I was with. Real classy. Anyway, songs sounded great, but Maynard didn't really seem into it. Hard to say for sure, but I just didn't feel like he was putting that much effort into it. Anyone else get that feeling?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #45
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjos View Post
Show was good, not great. Not top 5 tool show for me anyway. Rain sucked, and killed any energy people on the lawn had. Thanks to two assholes for moshing then fighting and almost mauling me and the 6 people I was with. Real classy. Anyway, songs sounded great, but Maynard didn't really seem into it. Hard to say for sure, but I just didn't feel like he was putting that much effort into it. Anyone else get that feeling?
I got the exact opposite feeling of every sentiment you expressed, actually :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #46
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjos View Post
You kidding me...I been to three Tool shows, Philly 2001, Tower in 2006, and this one and was by far the best...I never seen him so excited..
6/9/07 Atlantic City NJ
7/16/07 Reading PA
7/18/07 Holmdel NJ
7/30/09 Fairfax VA
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #47
Level 2 - Poster

Great show. I'm a big TOOL fan, but I really can't say TOOL puts on a top 10 show compared to other concerts I've seen. Sure, you people are going to rip me for my opinion, but seriously...have any of you seen Pink Floyd live? You wanna talk about a stage show? How about YES? Yeah, I know what TOOL is really all about. Again, they're one of my favorite bands next to RUSH and LED ZEP, but still. I can't go on here and say that Maynard was animated. All the things I liked about the TOOL concerts I've been to, the one thing that has disapointed me (with the exception of the mid-90's shows where Maynard really was more 'animated') is that I think he's subdued...trying to not be bigger than the music and all. You want to see animated? Go to a GWAR or Mars Volta concert. Shit, go see Iron Maiden or AC/DC (although they may come out with walkers, Angus still kicks ass). Maybe this just has something to do with me being in my 30's and having seen dozens upon dozens of great concerts in my day (WHO, Rush, Floyd, Yes, etc.).

Anywho, I got lucky and wasn't surrounded by any assholes. The people in my section (203) were all cool and let me enjoy the show...which I did. The sound was good. I can't remember what Maynard was saying other than "Is it raining yet?" I thought AENIMA was the highlight of the night. I would have liked to see the band be more out front and in the light, but I guess it is what it is.

The $7.50 shots of Jack sucked big time and a $5 tip only got me another splash...the bastard. The song selection was great, though ANY songs they would have picked to play would have been great. The security didn't bother anyone who was smoking pot or pulling out their phone cameras. We even managed to sneak up close in the aisle for a few minutes before getting caught. I had one girl tell me that I 'just watched my last TOOL song' when she caught me pissing outside, but I just ignored her and went back to my seat.

So, for you guys that are going to tell me how I don't know what I'm talking about and TOOL is great and blah blah blah, well...bottom line I really enjoyed the show and would recommend anyone to go see it. BUT, my guess is that most people that rant and rave about how good TOOL is live either hasn't seen too many big stage concerts (especially the older bands, like Maiden, who still believe in being Rock Stars) or are totally blinded by their loyalty to TOOL.

Let the abuse begin....
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #48
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatXMM View Post
You want to see animated? Go to a GWAR or Mars Volta concert. Shit, go see Iron Maiden or AC/DC (although they may come out with walkers, Angus still kicks ass).

[snip]

my guess is that most people that rant and rave about how good TOOL is live either hasn't seen too many big stage concerts (especially the older bands, like Maiden, who still believe in being Rock Stars) or are totally blinded by their loyalty to TOOL.
Keep in mind that saying Maynard was "animated" has to be taken in context with what the band wants to portray -- art and music, not image. This is the polar opposite of what bands like Iron Maiden and AC/DC want and do portray. Tool concerts aren't about watching rock stars. You mentioned Pink Floyd, so you should know this already; it's the same deal.

And GWAR? This isn't even.... why are you even mentioning GWAR? You want Tool to don giant, fake penises and cover the pit with synthetic semen? I don't understand where you're coming from.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #49
Level 4 - Thinker

Amazing show! I was in the front row of Sec 204 and they view of the stage was perfect. The only problem with that section is half the people were drunken fools and kept shoving each other! Why not just stay home and “play”, instead of paying good money to watch a concert. I definitely like to have a few drinks at a bar or at a party but Damn these people were hammered and belligerent. I guess this happens when you mix a lot of alcohol with loud music, and people just want to be louder than what you would like to hear. The set list was great although I still want to hear Pushit and the Grudge.

A lot of people talk about the Camden area but it isn’t too bad and the stadium/waterfront is really clean! From where I was sitting the vocals seemed a little low compared to the guitar or drums, anyone else think this was true? I walked over near SEC 202 (behind-orchestra) and the vocals were very clear so I guess the sound was better in the lower center orchestra.

Adam was actually moving in his solo part in Rosetta Stones, he kind of bent his leg and was bobbing slowly which I’ve never seen before, and Maynard was dancing in every song except Wings/10k days. Justin was head banging and humping his bass and Danny was hitting those drums really hard. When Lateralis was ending Danny went crazy and I could feel every hit of the bass drums in my chest and it was so loud I felt like I would lose my hearing after the song finally ended! JUST AWESOME

Highlights: End of Rosetta Stoned, lighters after 10k days and LATERALIS!! So much better live!

9/28/06 Camden
10/06/06 East Rutherford
7/18/07 Holmdel
2/01/12 East Rutherford
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #50
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Great show. I'm a big TOOL fan, but I really can't say TOOL puts on a top 10 show compared to other concerts I've seen. Sure, you people are going to rip me for my opinion, but seriously...have any of you seen Pink Floyd live? You wanna talk about a stage show? How about YES? Yeah, I know what TOOL is really all about. Again, they're one of my favorite bands next to RUSH and LED ZEP, but still. I can't go on here and say that Maynard was animated. All the things I liked about the TOOL concerts I've been to, the one thing that has disapointed me (with the exception of the mid-90's shows where Maynard really was more 'animated') is that I think he's subdued...trying to not be bigger than the music and all. You want to see animated? Go to a GWAR or Mars Volta concert. Shit, go see Iron Maiden or AC/DC (although they may come out with walkers, Angus still kicks ass). Maybe this just has something to do with me being in my 30's and having seen dozens upon dozens of great concerts in my day (WHO, Rush, Floyd, Yes, etc.).

Anywho, I got lucky and wasn't surrounded by any assholes. The people in my section (203) were all cool and let me enjoy the show...which I did. The sound was good. I can't remember what Maynard was saying other than "Is it raining yet?" I thought AENIMA was the highlight of the night. I would have liked to see the band be more out front and in the light, but I guess it is what it is.

The $7.50 shots of Jack sucked big time and a $5 tip only got me another splash...the bastard. The song selection was great, though ANY songs they would have picked to play would have been great. The security didn't bother anyone who was smoking pot or pulling out their phone cameras. We even managed to sneak up close in the aisle for a few minutes before getting caught. I had one girl tell me that I 'just watched my last TOOL song' when she caught me pissing outside, but I just ignored her and went back to my seat.

So, for you guys that are going to tell me how I don't know what I'm talking about and TOOL is great and blah blah blah, well...bottom line I really enjoyed the show and would recommend anyone to go see it. BUT, my guess is that most people that rant and rave about how good TOOL is live either hasn't seen too many big stage concerts (especially the older bands, like Maiden, who still believe in being Rock Stars) or are totally blinded by their loyalty to TOOL.

Let the abuse begin....

where in TOOL's music have you ever found them wanting to be big Rock Stars??? i think the music is a little different than that buddy. if you're looking for that kind of tired bullshit... you went to the wrong show.
and yes... i've seen 'big stage concerts.' pink floyd, radiohead, nin, massive attack to name a few.
a lot of people get frustrated that maynard doesn't come out front and center to direct the music. i think they are all in respect of each other and put themselves on stage as equal counterparts, not having a glory loving front man.

anyway... i thought it was a solid performance from TOOL last night. acoustics were on par with Coachella earlier this year and blew away the sound at the mini show i saw in nyc. ISIS kicked some major ass and i can't wait to see them on the 8th of oct. here in nyc.
i'm wondering if the visuals will be stronger on the oct. 6th show? being indoors and all might brighten things up even more?
spiral out
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #51
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonblu462 View Post
did anyone else think that something was off with Adam's guitar? It seemed like he was having some technical difficulties. That aside, they sounded great overall.
yeah, i thought something might be off with Adam's guitar. he certainly was dealing with the white-coats a few times during the evening.

but he sure is able to hang some massive sustain out there with some nasty feedback/distortion, isn't he? les pauls kick so much ass for sustain.

i'll have to listen to a boot to be sure, but something massive punched in during Lateralus and the sound was huge suddenly.

Justin's bass sounded twangy as hell all night -- in a GOOD way.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #52
Level 1 - Lurker

Dear Tool,

Please fire whoever did your video work for this tour. That shit is fucking terrible. Please refer to the videos shown on the Lateralus tour, and how amazing they were, and come up with something equally impressive, instead of this 3d-studio-max bullshit you're passing off as stage presence.

and yeah, lasers are cool, but after bobbing-head-schism-people-tied-to-ropes, it just doesn't cut it.

but hey, your performance was great, as always... so, don't stop rockin'.

sincerely,
an avid (but realistically critical) fan.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #53
Level 2 - Poster

Hahaha. You guys are taking me wrong and I don't blame you. TOOL is awsome and I love their shows. I'm just commenting on how all these posts say is how incredible the show was, and the light show and the act, etc. I think I am keeping this in context though. Wouldn't you consider Floyd and Yes 'artsy' bands?? If not for them, bands like TOOL wouldn't exist today. Both of those bands were front and center during shows. And as for the tired rock star bullshit, well 'buddy', I have a hard time getting tired of all the 'great music that has enhanced my life throughout the years' like Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, Nuggent, Bowie, Ziggy Pop, Sex Pistols, Thin Lizzy and on and on and on...oh, and King Crimson.

The inclusion of GWAR here was a mistake. I realize that. I just think their shows are very entertaining.

Hopefully no one here is taking my comments too seriously. It's just one persons opionion versus the many. Tool is anti rock star and I respect that heavily. Heck, it's a big reason I like the band so much. My desire for that attitude in music stems from my disgust at most of today's music. Hence my references to older generation rock (with the exception of GWAR and TMV). But if you're going to compare this to other shows, in context, you MUST compare them to their predececors, who in my opinion were head and shoulders above TOOL while TOOL stands head and shoulders above just about every other band that has come out since the late 90's.

In the end I don't want to offend so anyone that disliked my post...just ignore it. When all is said and done 20 years from now TOOL will be considered one of those influential bands that our kids rock bands will try to be like. I just hope that TOOL gets all the respect and credit they deserve, which up till now hasn't happened.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #54
Level 3 - Talker

fwiw, i think Yes and PF had much larger stage-show budgets. tool is "forced" to be more creative.

one could always point to the Stones stage extravaganzas. but they play football stadiums and charge huge dollars for tix. i'll take tool's kind of budget and creativity. i'm done with stadium shows and, frankly, it takes tool to get me into an arena show.

i'm not bagging on you, PatXMM -- just pointing out the spending limits tool has compared to some of the other bands you've cited. peace.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

yeah so this is my 7th time seeing Tool...they get better everytime. set list was awesome

i was in the front row and caught danny's redbull can and his gatorade bottle. I talked with Chris and Chayne and everyone had a great time. Nice.

go tool.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #56
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Correction:

Crowd: <small roar>
Crowd: <slightly louder roar>
MJK: I'm pulling fucking teeth here. Thank you. Goodnight.
Crowd: <loud roar>
it was actually - ITS LIKE PULLING FUCKING TEETH HERE.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #57
Level 2 - Poster

Very good point dragongrrl. To be honest I think I would enjoy TOOL the most if I were able to see them at a small venue with nothing but them and their instruments. Think of it. No lasers or background graphics. No hiding behind screens. Nothing but them and their music. THAT would be the way to see a TOOL show and THAT is exactly what they seem to not want to do.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:21 AM   #58
Level 1 - Lurker

Let's see 4 hour ride to see the seventh Tool show this year (and 907th live show and obviously not all Tool). I sat in the 7th row aisle seat 1 sec 100. While the man was talkative tonight (and with the recording of the show I have, he didn't sound like he said say "peeing", but he said "c#$@*!g" although it’s Memorex who really cares) the sound wasn't as good as all the previous shows (the Tower in spring was even a little better at 10th row right center). Talked to a few TA'rs sitting close to me (also at some of the other shows this year with me) as well as others who confirmed the sound issues. I'm guessing it was more to do with the seat location, as I've seen at least 50 shows at Camden and it always been hit or miss with the sound and seat location amongst other issues. However, I could hear and see the man and Justin extremely well and Danny and Adam very well, it just wasn't a good mix of sound for the group as a whole in the seat location.

Since I had a great view, but below average overall sound I put some more attention into watching some of the video visuals presented. Rosetta I thought was really cool, but I'm into that whole E.T. shit anyway. The set list was very standard as others have already listed, good versions, but it wasn't their tightest night of the year (that's what live shows are all about though) for the band. Yeah I'll stop tossing my stones around. Hell I drove 4 hours back home and wasn't disappointed, so that should tell ya something.

I'm really glad to hear so many people enjoyed the show, and wow how about the guy whose gal got the backstage pass and then met the man (what's up with that little dog, must be a comfort thing). However, I do sympathize with the guy having to sit in the rain waiting (as well as everyone on the lawn and in the rain). That's a fucking joke, must be some fucking homophobia going on with the man. That guy should have been let in with his gal(s), but hey it's their band and their rules. Lovely dictatorships and monarchies how cool. Also, I really get a kick outta how many people really enjoy the festival seating concept in the reserved sections. I've been there and done that, and while rough on others, it's great for some. People remember it's reserved and not really arbitrary. So find the vacancy and move as stealthy as possible to it and hang low and you may have a lot more luck. Damn some of the pitches these people were making (especially the gals and drunks) were hilarious.

Oh and yeah, I do believe this section heading is "Concert Reviews", if there’s one for "Performance Reviews" let me know as I listened to the show twice on the ride home. `;-)

See ya in DC, E. Rutherford, Nassau, and in 07'.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #59
Level 1 - Lurker

I'm not saying it wasn't a good show, but I've seen Maynard more animated on many an occasion. I guess doing the same stuff night after night wears on a person, I would imagine.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #60
Level 1 - Lurker

I have nothing to say. I was completely floored. Best concert of my life hands down. Sound quality was amazing, the band seemed very much so into the show, everything just amazing. Life changing indeed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #61
Level 4 - Thinker

Just 2 words......
Extraordinary.......Outstanding......

11/23/96 - tool @ the electric factory - philadelphia, PA
07/11/98 - tool @ the tweeter center - camden, NJ (ozzfest)
05/20/01 - tool @ the hammerstein ballroom - new york city
09/27/01 - tool @ the first union center - philadelphia, PA
08/12/02 - tool @ the sovereign bank arena - trenton, NJ
10/29/02 - tool @ the first union spectrum - philadelphia, PA
05/17/06 - tool @ the tower theater - philadelphia, Pa
09/28/06 - tool @ the tweeter center - camden, NJ
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #62
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 25

What amazes me is how people can complain about the setlist on this tour...It was absolutely perfect...Sure, I would like to here some of my personal favorites (The Grudge, Eulogy, Pushit) but their set would last well over 2 hours...This setlist flowed so well, and like someone else said before, I think they found the perfect setlist for them after tinkering it a little bit at earlier shows

Everything about last night was perfect...I was even able to put up with people constantly talking and just being disruptive...Now, I'm just getting ready for the Continental show!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 AM   #63
Level 1 - Lurker

all i can say is INCREDIBLE, fourth time i've seen them and i know it won't be the last.
see you summer 2007!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #64
Level 1 - Lurker

man it was a amazing show. the worst part of the night for me was not when it started to rain, but the assholes in front of me who put up UMBRELLAS which instantly and completely blotted out the stage for me. FUCK YOU. then we got trapped on the 5th floor of the parking garage since there was so much traffic. so we got the after show: a bunch of drunk jocks teaching each other karate (which was pure comedy), and the couple parked next to us started banging like animals in their car. awesome.

end rant.

again, amazing show. justin's bass had a sharp twang to it which was awesome because it keep things new and fresh when he'd throw that in there. did maynard sing the "L Ron Hubbard" line in aenema twice?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #65
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post

Tips for those attending future shows:

01) You don't have to wear a Tool shirt to the Tool show. We know you like Tool. You're there. It's cool.

02) You don't have to shout "TOOL" in-between songs. We all know who it is, and if we don't, we can read the words on our ticket. Instead, shout out other bands you like so people can take notes and raid file-sharing networks when they get home. "That guy shouted out Danny Partridge, right? I bet he's all about chakra alignment and pineal glands."

03) You don't have to shout "MAYNARD" in-between songs. That's a weird thing to scream. Next time, scream out your favorite food. "PANCAKES!" That'd be hilarious. Screaming out "MAYNARD" is sort of second-hand-embarrassment-inducing.

04) If you're driving home and you're starving and you see a Checkers still open in the distance, KEEP DRIVING. Oh boy, will I defile the office toilet later.

Amen my brotha, amen. I couldn't believe how many "that guy"s there were. Tool shirts as far as the eye could see.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #66
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

If anyone has any good full size pictures of this show that I could possibly get to print some photos off that would be awesome. My pictures came out terrible is there a key to taking pictures at a concert or do you just need a high quality camera?
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #67
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

Quote:
Very good point dragongrrl. To be honest I think I would enjoy TOOL the most if I were able to see them at a small venue with nothing but them and their instruments. Think of it. No lasers or background graphics. No hiding behind screens. Nothing but them and their music. THAT would be the way to see a TOOL show and THAT is exactly what they seem to not want to do.
then you should have made it to one of the shows on the warm-up tour. that's about exactly how it was.

"It's become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity. When I look at you, I think that one day - our humanity might actually surpass our technology."
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #68
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool4life View Post
4th tool show ive gone to and ive been always saying this but after last night i have to scream TOOL IS THE FUCKING GREASTEST BAND EVER THERE IS NO ONE BETTER AND THERE WILL NEVER BE ANYONE BETEER PERIOD. ps:did anybody smell maple syrup in the pit or anywhere else
LMFAO!!!my friend and i were in the pit and did detect the aroma of log cabin in the air!canadians?maybe.one thing for certain,tool was firing on all cylinders and as a unit completely destroyed camden.pure excellence and worth every penny.i was right up front on adam's side of the stage and had an unobstructed view of all aspects of the show and thought it was genius.i even left the pit, walked out on the lawn during 46 + 2 and the mix and view was awesome from the cheap seats just as well.after a slice of pizza,i returned to the pit for the duration and it was sick.the crowd was congenial and appreciative without too much frat boy macho asshole shit.isis kicked ass.if you're not familiar with their works,get familiar.highly underrated band.a perfect show.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #69
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragongrrl View Post
i'll have to listen to a boot to be sure, but something massive punched in during Lateralus and the sound was huge suddenly.
It sure did, it's the over effect used on the album during the last leg of the track (about 8:05 on the album), and used in all the past tours when they play this. But this time (thank god they finally put the punch back in, uh...you know...stuff you punch) they kicked it up to a level that's unebelievable. Talk about a way to get your attention. I don't know if it's Danny, Adam, or Maynard triggering that sound but last night it was like the hand of Odd reached into my brain and pulled out any semblance of control and just threw the rest of my mind into overdrive.

...I think. Anyone want to confirm?

...Anyone want to hit me with a pie?

...I like pie.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #70
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragongrrl View Post

i looked so forward to seeing "wings" live. and it was cool BUT... it doesn't work well live. sorry but it prolly would have gone over better in a smaller place like the Tower where there would be only rabid fans in attendance. that song requires quiet and reverence and you don't get that in an arena. still, the visuals were cool and really added to the song...
I definitely agree. The song sounded good and they pulled it off well. However, it's not really a song for the frat-boy neanderthals that are just there to get drunk and punch each other in the face to Stinkfist, which, in an arena setting, seems to be a larger group than if it were limited to a theatre setting.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #71
Level 1 - Lurker

Location: USA (now), it's a shame, i know. Canada will always be my Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
If anyone has any good full size pictures of this show that I could possibly get to print some photos off that would be awesome. My pictures came out terrible is there a key to taking pictures at a concert or do you just need a high quality camera?
just to take A LOT... at a lot of diff angles if you can ...that is the key to any important pictures to you in my opinion.. if you take a million there are bound to be a few great ones... it's a bitch to go through but you'll be happy with the outcome..
Old 09-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #72
Level 1 - Lurker

This is the 12th Tool show I attended. Maybe it's just that I have seen them too much but last night's show was non-event. With all the drunk jag-offs and the pooring rain aside, and don't get me wrong, Tool is hands down my favotire band and will remain so I think forever and they are the only band today that manages to pull off that success- without-sellout but...

the set list is boring...nothing from Opiate or Undertow. In the past they had interesting sets and always changed the way the songs where played a bit. They used to through in a cover here and there. Just seems this tour they are not as daring just straight forward with all the singles in play. First time I heard "Wings" and "10,000 days" which was amazing and "Rosetta" may be the best song ever written, ever.

I don't know I will try to avoid being disenchanted.

The lighting near the end reminded me of some strange Vegas Cabaret act.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #73
Level 2 - Poster

Wow, really an amazing show. This was only my 2nd Tool show, so I suppose I'm a newbie but I enjoyed it every bit. I had a great seat (thanks to Styx) and a clear view of the band.

My first comment would be how incredibly clear and, well, amazing Maynard's vocals sounded. I was blown away considering the amphitheatre venue. I also found Maynard animated just enough...sort of similar to the animated characters in the early Tool videos. His gesticulations (if that's not too crude of a word) were sometimes creepy as were his intense stares (he was staring at me, I believe!), but when he grooved, for instance during the Pot, he really got into the songs. Styx pointed out to me the surprising flexibility of his spine.

Maynard also looked cool, which I have to admit, I admire. He had a wicked mohawk thing going and he also pulled off a cowboy hat, which matched his cavalier attitude during many of the songs (there was something of a sarcastic rodeo theme, I believe, ha). Also, cool-ass jacket. I don't quite recall what was on it...three initials....

Since there wasn't a low during the show for me, it's hard to pick out a high. The three songs after the on-stage break were nothing short of spectacular, but I was pleasantly surprised by Rosetta Stoned. Maynard had a sinister-looking megaphone device strapped to him and sounded very good.

Justin's bass really stood out, which again was something of a surprise due to the venue. Adam's guitars were loud and had great presence. I was impressed by how full sounding Tool is live considering they play heavy music but w/ only one guitarist. The drums were sensational. I like that Danny is so mega-talented but his rhythms always fit the song and are not complex just to be complex.

My only regret is that I probably won't see them for another four or so years.

Oh, I almost forgot to add that I dug their hand-wiggly handshake thing at the end of the show. Maynard went around and wiggled his digits just above each band member's. It was an auspicious token of their camaraderie.

Last edited by SirGrotius; 09-29-2006 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention handshakes
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #74
Level 2 - Poster

i got that over the top vegas vibe as well near the end but i didnt see that as a bad thing, the production was simply part of the bands vision, its what they gave us the fans, i think the people that are saying tool should do this or do that should get off their high horses and appreciate that they are still playing at all, not many bands last 16 years and they wont be around forever.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #75
IC
resident flamer

Bincount™: 575

man oh man. i want to write a 1000 page paper on why this concert was so great, but my friends and I came to the conclusion that words really couldnt be used. If you havent seen Tool yet, the only way to try and prep you is that they play music to the way music can really go- on a completely other level of communication. That is all. Only thing I want to address-
the drum solo in Schism was more than i knew even Danny could do. Im surprised no one has said more than 'i liked it'. I'm a drummer and Ive never seen drumming like that before. I mean, I was terrified.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #76
Level 1 - Lurker

Unbelievable Show...I was on the lawn and the rain only added to the spectacle! Lateralis was easily the greatest moment of the night...except for this one:

On the Ferry on the way back to Philly I saw you and I know you saw me lookin at you...I couldnt help it you were gorgeous so...

Girl in the RED HOODED SWEATSHIRT with the curly hair and the undeniable good looks...if you remember me...gut with the black jacket over a Black WCC shirt with a black hat sitting by the window right behind you on the ferry...please reply to this! You are gorgeous!
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #77
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
you really need a high quality camera (ex. Canon 30D). the thing is though.. you're probably not going to get a medium pro camera into a venue... unless you're really sneaky.
actually that's a big pet peeve of mine... people shooting with their fucking camera phones or low grade cameras all the show. holding that shit right up in my view the whole goddamn show so you can have some blurry blobby shit to take home with you.
folks... please trust that someone will sneak a decent camera in and will post on toolsheds flikr account and then you can save those pics for you masturbation to maynard quiet time.
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #78
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindstream View Post
"Hamana hamana hamana" (First Maynardism of the night)

Maynard does his best Ralph Kramden impression, and before the first note is even sung. When he came out and said this, I knew right away he was in a great mood.

I've been to many shows, and this show will be categorized as "The Maynard Show". The band was tight as hell, as always, but MAYNARD WAS OUT OF THIS WORLD. Very animated, talkative...and his fucking voice was amazing. No residual effects of his illness were evident.

I was in the lawn section, and just as they came on at 9:16pm...it started to fucking pour! "Stinkfist" is, with the exception of Third Eye, their best opener by far. From the lawn section, the sound and mixing was perfect...besides being drenched, i'm actually glad I was in the lawn area, cause it probably would have been too loud and perhaps distorted sounding any closer.

After Stinkfist, Maynard said...is it raining yet? and he repeated this a few times through the show. At one point he said:

"It's raining huh? That sucks. Just pretend we're having deviant sex, and that i'm pissing in your mouth" Greatest line ever from him, imo.

My highlights were from two of my "former less favorite" songs.

Schism--the sped up bridge, and what Danny does on the drums...i'm speechless.

Wings/10K days...a spiritual experience to see live.

When the band sat down before the final trio of songs...two of the bandmembers (I think Justin and Adam?) actually flicked their lighters on. Because of the rain, nobody had their lighters lit for 10k days, but once they did this...everybody flicked on...cool sight.

The rain subsided for the second two thirds of the show...but just as they played the first few notes of Aenima...the skies opened up again on cue (part of Danny's pact with Satan I think)

Only downer was the visuals...I agree that they're kind of cheesy, and that Tool doesn't really need all of that.

After the final song, the band hung out for quite a while, taking in the applause and thanking the crowd. Even Maynard hung out for an extended period...longer than I've ever seen him do before.

Amazing show...epic Tool.

On a final note...I got to the venue very early (5pm). So I walk into the Tweeter Center food court area at around 5:30 and all of a sudden I hear them doing the sound check for Stinkfist. So I just continue walking towards the seating area, with the music getting louder and louder. I'm walking by security left and right...waiting for someone to say something...and nobody is stopping me. I climb the few steps up to the seating area...and voila...theres Tool!! I managed to watch them play Stinkfist for about two minutes before one of the stage security guys right next to Maynard notices me and starts waving his arms like crazy for another security dude. The whole band looked right at me...awesome, LOL. They escorted me from the area, but didn't make a big deal of it. It was like Tool was playing for me personally for about two minutes!

Damn I'm tired.
i was in row e center, and believe me the sound was flawless, not to loud, even ADAM WAS PERFECTLLY IN TUNE, no highs to loud, no unexpected feedback, i hve seen them a few times and this comes close to the best as far as sound goes,and i could not believe how good maynard sounded, he was impeckable....clear,loud, just a enjoyable exp. for me..........love rain o`er me....later
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #79
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Wez View Post
Amen my brotha, amen. I couldn't believe how many "that guy"s there were. Tool shirts as far as the eye could see.
i wore a devils shirt and got alot of shit for that.......what a bunch of fukin dikheads, a guy wearing a tool shirt to a tool show, da...what a nimrod....later
OFFLINE |  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #80
Level 1 - Lurker

ok so i am a fairly new tool fan thanks to my bf and i thought that this concert was fuckin awesome!!! there were some things that sucked though... the rain if u were on the lawn, and the fact that people were peeing freely behind us and that there were people damn near having sex in the pit... fuckin nasty!!! i thought that the set list was great and also i enjoyed all of the effects... they were damn good!!!! i will deffinetly go to another one of their shows the next time they come around!!!
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: