opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 12-30-2002, 08:17 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
old knowledge , new knowledge

i just wanted to add this about the video Parabola, the three old men, religious or political or corporate, to me they represent old ideas and the fire on the fingertip may mean that they were perhaps satisfied with what they had learned and choose to stagnate themselves and encircle all of us in their spew of limited awareness of the actual other elments to being on earth as a human.The "Big man" character may represent people who are looking beyond old ideas, and seeking a new understanding or something. He ventures out and seemingly finds enlightenment.

that's all i have....for now.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

hmmm...

excellent thought, but what does the little man symbolize? the big man's past adherence to old knowledge (symbolized as well by the scary death blackberry?) what about the stars? those have me completely lost.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Re: hmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by nietzschepants
excellent thought, but what does the little man symbolize? the big man's past adherence to old knowledge (symbolized as well by the scary death blackberry?) what about the stars? those have me completely lost.

i think you may be on to something, the little guy could well be his former adherence to , or blindness to some "trusted" system, maybe the "little GUY" is his innocence, and once that is destroyed he has no chioce but to go and seek some beauty or truth.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

the "scary death blackberry", the little guy, and such

interesting thoughts on the beginning of the video, which admittedly had me kinda confused. i can also see the theory on the little guy. a friend and i watched the video in a slightly altered state and had some ideas on the meaning behind the video, which might help you with the rest of the video.

we thought that the little guy represented the big guy's innocence, his childhood, or his former sense of order in the universe.

we thought that the "scary death blackberry" represented the world. it began as simple (one sphere) and then began to become more complex (multiple spheres). this complexity can range from man's evolving intelligence (whether on a large scale or on a smaller, personal scale - i.e. everyone's world or the world of one person) which leads to greater exploration of meaning, reason, and metaphysics. the complexity could also represent the more complex nature of life. rather than paying attention to merely living, we have created a society which increases our wants, making them appear as needs. "fret for your figure and fret for your latte...."

when the "scary death blackberry" (sorry, i like that phrase) becomes more afraid, the little guy gets scared. when life becomes more complex, it threatens our innocence. of course the "scary death blackberry" kills the little guy, showing how innocence/childhood/former sense of order in the universe is destroyed by the increasing complexities of life that arise as one leaves childhood.

the big guy is alarmed and angry. he retaliates, just as one reacts violently to his or her own death of innocence. (side note: my friend and i have decided for ourselves that he is screaming, "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK"- at least it looks like it.) he tries to scare away the world that has destroyed his innocence. he then disects the little guy (deconstructing one's innocence/childhood/former sense of order in the universe to find out how it worked and maybe how to return to the former state).

he leaves the safety of the familiar room he begins the video in (sheltered childhood) and enters out into wilderness (strange new places that the mind/soul wander). he sees the "scary death blackberry," and is wary of it. then he finds a leaf (nature?) which flames and becomes an eye (possibly representational as enlightenment -i.e. the third eye- or god or meaning or self). the eye envelopes him and he becomes aware or enlightened or something along those lines.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: