opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Parabola
User Name
Password
Old 12-31-2002, 05:07 AM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
The very end of the video

While I was watching the Parabola video today, I remembered the quote from Bill Hicks on Third Eye, "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow and subtle vibration, that there's no such thing as death and that we're in imagination of ourselves". Well, remember at the end of the video with Tricky picking up the leaf that turns into the flaming eye and makes him filled with some sort of energy? Could there be a connection between that quote and this part of the video?

Just a thought.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
correct

you get a prize. there is a very big connection that has to do not only with that but with all of tool's music as a whole to be interpreted as a message. i posted an analysis to the last bit of the video as a reply to "my 22/7 cents" that's pi, or 3.14159...im not sure if anyone else is a math nerd. please read my analysis and tell me what you think.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

trickys leaf

I think that, when tricky picks up the leaf and it turns into a chaukra, is kinda sayn that when he see's the leaf, he relizes that the center of all life forms revoles around the escence of nature so he see's it as a chaukra and it flows through his body and he is inlightend, As the escence of nature flows trough him. also just a thought
Old 02-02-2003, 09:15 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: trickys leaf

Quote:
Originally posted by omen1tfog
I think that, when tricky picks up the leaf and it turns into a chaukra, is kinda sayn that when he see's the leaf, he relizes that the center of all life forms revoles around the escence of nature so he see's it as a chaukra and it flows through his body and he is inlightend, As the escence of nature flows trough him. also just a thought
hello.
that freaking chakra thing goes along with the whole Third Eye issue.. y'know the third eye is a chakra. and as i remember that song was a preview of lateralus.. it was very different from the rest of the songs (more deep, not based on anus fisting unlike stinkfist or pushit). the part before of 'so good to see you once again, i thought that you were hiding', sounds a lot like the main guitar riff in schism.

returning to the video, i think it is related with the buddhist religion. specially the end: it brings both the artwork and the lyrics together! the bright energy flowing thru tricky(?) as the booklet of the cd. plus.. the line "all this pain is an illussion" is strongly related to the samsara ideal of this world being some kind of punishment, hence the pain we feel. according to that religion, the pain is caused mostly by the attachment to objects and persons. as soon as you 'let yourself go' (like in "the grudge") you get to the nirvana and became an illuminated being that knows the truth. the same thing happens to the man in the video: he leaves his blue pal in the room and stops fearing the great black evil ball. at that moment, he takes the leaf, becomes the flaming eye and understands he's part of this world, in a very clear pantheistic way of thinking, like buddhism. yes, "we're eternal" if we believe in buddha.

the only thing that rattles my head is the "embrace this moment" line, since buddhism calls for the rejection of everything you know.

what do you think about this shit ranting in my head?

Paranoid Martyr
[choosing to be here, right now]
Old 02-03-2003, 03:04 AM   #5
Dub
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 41
When Buddha was thinking about deep things and seeking a path to nibbana in this life, he studied under different teachers. He rejected their ways and though up his own, middle way. However many eastern schools of thought have very similar ideas, often differing over one little detail (like the various christian churches) Buddha took ideas from his teachers and added his own. Tool have taken ideas from many sources, eastern and western, and probably added a few of their own too.

Which is what everyone does isn't it? We all seek out the ideas that appeal to us, and combine them to biuld our own path. We may be a member of a church, but we often ignore the dogma that doesn't ring true to us, and concentrate on the ideas that do... others have the courage to walk their own way. Which in my opinion, is the only path to truth.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

i certainly agree

i know what you mean.. human as a product of social and biological factors, so hard to establish when our real self begins (if so exists).

but about parabola.. do you think the buddhist point of view is related to the very end of the video?

Paranoid Martyr
Old 02-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

i just read the "pi" cents of someone, already relating it to buddism. i should read more instead of opinion out of the blue. at least, it makes my/his point more easy to accept.

Paranoid Martyr
Old 02-06-2003, 04:47 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: The very end of the video

Quote:
Originally posted by Big_D
While I was watching the Parabola video today, I remembered the quote from Bill Hicks on Third Eye, "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow and subtle vibration, that there's no such thing as death and that we're in imagination of ourselves". Well, remember at the end of the video with Tricky picking up the leaf that turns into the flaming eye and makes him filled with some sort of energy? Could there be a connection between that quote and this part of the video?

Just a thought.
Holy shit, I didn't realize that was Tricky until this post.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176
tricky...? wow, i'm outta the loop
Old 03-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #10
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Pi

it's pi month in school. memorize the first 100 number in pi and win a pie of your choice
Old 03-03-2003, 01:27 PM   #11
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
3,14159265...something...I just remembered three more digits but I forgot it again.

Do I get a piece of the pie?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:39 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

One of my friends decided one day to see how far down he could memorize pi to.... he got to 27 numbers and he could reel them off any time you asked (and many you didnt)
Old 03-16-2003, 10:44 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

who the hell is Tricky? Is he some rapper or something?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:51 AM   #14
RNS
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
he's a guy from the west country (UK) with a daft accent who used to be in Massice Attack
Old 03-17-2003, 12:53 AM   #15
RNS
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
forgive my horrific typing

Massive Attack

(mash the keypad with your palm.......)
Old 03-17-2003, 01:07 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

You said used to be in Massive Attack? What happened to him? And what kinds of music do this "Massive Attack" play?
Old 03-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Re: Re: trickys leaf

Quote:
Originally posted by ParanoidMartyr
hello.
that freaking chakra thing goes along with the whole Third Eye issue.. y'know the third eye is a chakra. and as i remember that song was a preview of lateralus.. it was very different from the rest of the songs (more deep, not based on anus fisting unlike stinkfist or pushit). the part before of 'so good to see you once again, i thought that you were hiding', sounds a lot like the main guitar riff in schism.

returning to the video, i think it is related with the buddhist religion. specially the end: it brings both the artwork and the lyrics together! the bright energy flowing thru tricky(?) as the booklet of the cd. plus.. the line "all this pain is an illussion" is strongly related to the samsara ideal of this world being some kind of punishment, hence the pain we feel. according to that religion, the pain is caused mostly by the attachment to objects and persons. as soon as you 'let yourself go' (like in "the grudge") you get to the nirvana and became an illuminated being that knows the truth. the same thing happens to the man in the video: he leaves his blue pal in the room and stops fearing the great black evil ball. at that moment, he takes the leaf, becomes the flaming eye and understands he's part of this world, in a very clear pantheistic way of thinking, like buddhism. yes, "we're eternal" if we believe in buddha.

the only thing that rattles my head is the "embrace this moment" line, since buddhism calls for the rejection of everything you know.

hello.
stinkfist has actually nothing to do with fisting. Unless you were being sarcastic, you really fail to see any of the subliminal messages on aenima.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:48 AM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Re: Re: Re: trickys leaf

Quote:
Originally posted by sircorn
hello.
stinkfist has actually nothing to do with fisting. Unless you were being sarcastic, you really fail to see any of the subliminal messages on aenima.
hell-o
You're sure? Maybe it is about fisting...They're just fucking with us and make us think deeply (thinking is good though). Maybe Maynard just said "hey, let's make a song about fisting so everyone could make their silly interpretations." You never know for sure.... :P
Old 04-13-2003, 10:37 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Re: Re: trickys leaf

Quote:
Originally posted by sircorn
hello.
ya of course sweetie it is not only of fisting.
but denying stinkfist is about fisting would be like saying third eye is not about eyes. in the very basic and first plane of the song, it is about fisting. and what i was trying to say was that the 'deep' message wasn't justified nor supported by trivialities of sickness attitudes like in those songs. there's an actual difference when it comes to compare parabola and stinkfist, :)

sorry if i took long to answer but normally i don't revisit my posts (shame on me).

Paranoid Martyr
Old 12-12-2003, 11:45 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9
Re: trickys leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidMartyr
hello.

Maybe this will help: "This body holding me" = "I embrace this moment" ?
Old 12-23-2003, 03:42 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

i guess no one read my reply to the "kundalini in theis video" post...BUT its all there and the very end is pretty much self explainitory if u read up on it(kundalini), plus alex grey drew/painted/whatevered the ending sequence and a LOT of his paintings have more scenes depicting chakras and i know of at least one showing a man engaged in kundalini meditation. not to say this HAS to be the right explination, but id be surprised if it wasnt(thats just me of course).

and about the buddhism thing...hmm im not so sure if its connected as much as you(plural) make it out to be. the lyrics maybe, im not completely sure on those, but buddhism really doesnt focus on energy or spirituality so much as the nature of reality being an illusion, and escape from suffering through meditation and eventually enlightenment.

and one more thing to add is that alex grey has described himself as an "acid head" so hey, maybe its just a crazy vision he had trippin on 50 microdots and this is all just a coincidence about the whole chakra things, ya never know.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:20 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th eye
hell-o
You're sure? Maybe it is about fisting...They're just fucking with us and make us think deeply (thinking is good though). Maybe Maynard just said "hey, let's make a song about fisting so everyone could make their silly interpretations." You never know for sure.... :P
Yeah that's a fine point except for the fact that Maynard's not a dick; why the hell would anyone do that?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
i guess no one read my reply to the "kundalini in theis video" post...BUT its all there and the very end is pretty much self explainitory
The mediation you are refering to is about expanding your awareness. I'm not going to disagree that the parabol/a video is about the same thing, at the ending in any case. But I don't think you can confine it to any particular ideology. The great thing about Lataralus as an album is that it's theme of healing and growth is so universal it is availible to everyone, yes it draws on alchemy and other esoteric sources, but what are these ultimatly about if not healing and growth too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atratus
Maybe this will help: "This body holding me" = "I embrace this moment" ?
Not particularly, would it hurt to actually explain yourself, instead of trying to sound cryptic and cool by only giving half answers?
Old 01-24-2004, 04:22 AM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 9

Not particularly, would it hurt to actually explain yourself, instead of trying to sound cryptic and cool by only giving half answers?[/QUOTE]

Cryptic and cool, heh?
Without trying, however. Not as far as i'm aware.

You're right though, Signify - it wouldn't hurt.

"This body holding me" = "I embrace this moment"
I came up with that equation when i was thinking about wether parabola is just about one person, or more. The answer to that question, of course, is in "WE barely remember," "WE are eternal..." etc. The song is definitely plural.

Now that we all agree (hopefully) on the plurality of individuals in the song, there's still something to be said about the idea of the lyrics referring to a singular individual: it offers a different perspective on the lyrics, however unintended.

Who, then, does the significant other in "we" refer to beside the person from whom's perspective the song is written? Who or what is "this body holding me"?

My answer: This body = this moment = holy reality.

I first imagined "body" not referring to a human(oid) body but a planetary, celestial, body. I also thought of it as a spiritual body, thereby equivalent to "holy reality".

Finally i looked for expressions of such an interpretation in the video: Tricky moves his hand to the brances of the symmetrical tree, looking at them. Note the resemblance between his hand and the branches and the lyrics at the moment "this body..."

Also, notice how in the beginning small objects constitute a room, and how in the end, Tricky constitutes a part of a pattern. More examples of objects being, as a whole of parts, humans (i imagine the three guys at the beginning being made from the same particles the table they perform on is made of), and humans being things (patterns, lights, etc.)

If, finally, Tricky is the only live and conscious entity in the video(reckognizing his similarity to the tree where the little creature does not), yet he is no different than the other things (recognizing the similarities in the nature of his existence), we can consider all the other things in the lyrics and video (as far as they are concerned) as personifications. Personification = attributing characteristics of human being to non-human beings or objects.

This type of personification illustrated through Tricky, being the only person in the Parabol(a) vid, can be helpful in realizing the interconnected, 'live' nature of reality (yeah really! Far out!).

I'm done. Still OK, btw - no aches or pains. But they may yet come.

And, of course, the Kundalini and Alex Grey elements are unmistakable, if not just plain obvious already. Comparing those is certainly most... enlightening! One should start with that.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

If yo want to understand the very end of the video simply go to www.sacredmirrors.com , that would clear up all of your doubts
Old 03-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

well stinkfist could be about fisting, seeying as Maynards dick is..well...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: