Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings For Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days
Lateralus (Extended/Solo)
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-17-2007 at 07:54 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/07/14 - Albany, NY - Times Forum Union

Jambi
Stinkfist (Extended)
46&2
Schism (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings For Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 07-17-2007 at 07:54 AM..
OFFLINE |  
drumdude1387
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM

What can i say FRONT ROW ROCKED

FUcken ossum show

Setlist:
Jambi
Stinkfist (Extended)
46&2
Schism (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood ( Extended Intro)
-----------------
Wings For Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days
Vicarious

I gotta say Maynard was animated tonight. He spoke alot before wings 1 and he joked about how he was hiding behind his plants to hide from the terrorists. Me and my 2 buddies sitting with me talked to Justin while he sucked down 4 beers in 5 minutes during the Lateralus solo. I have to say Lateralus was awesome. It was extended and it was definitely something to be remembered. It had to be 15-20 minutes long. One of the "Medics" handed out some Red Bulls and my friend got Dannys ice pack. Later my same friend caught a water bottle from Maynard. Maynard must've seen the Red Bull in my hand cuz he pointed to my friend, tossed it, and my friend caught it. I touched the bottle and maynard looked at me and shook his finger and said no. lol. Then i was like oops my bad he then gives me a thumb and says "good man". then i was hoping for a stick form Danny but hes like i got none. He was over the top with his performance tonight he is one of the best drummers out there, he is so good. also the visuals and everything frikin ossum and front row i thought it was wow just amazing. the band rocked and every song was perfect start to finsh maybe except for Maynard's voice on the megaphone from Rosetta but other than that unbelievable. The visuals and everything were better then Mansfield back in september and Jersey the week after i thought. I would ask for one more song but i gotta say i would see that same show again and again. then the set was awesome all was perfect starts to finsh and to hear FLOOD was special, that was a highlight for me WOW FUCKEN OSSUM PERFORMANCE once again from Tool.
10/6/06- Continental Arena, NJ
7/14/07- Times Union Center, NY

Last edited by drumdude1387; 07-15-2007 at 05:06 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/14 - Albany, NY - Times Forum Union

What can i say FRONT ROW ROCKED

FUcken ossum show

Setlist:
Jambi
Stinkfist (Extended)
46&2
Schism (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Flood ( Extended Intro)
-----------------
Wings For Marie Pt.1
10,000 Days
Vicarious

I gotta say Maynard was animated tonight. He spoke alot before wings 1 and he joked about how he was hiding behind his plants to hide from the terrorists. Me and my 2 buddies sitting with me talked to Justin while he sucked down 4 beers in 5 minutes during the Lateralus solo. I have to say Lateralus was awesome. It was extended and it was definitely something to be remembered. It had to be 15-20 minutes long. One of the "Medics" handed out some Red Bulls and my friend got Dannys ice pack. Later my same friend caught a water bottle from Maynard. Maynard must've seen the Red Bull in my hand cuz he pointed to my friend, tossed it, and my friend caught it. I touched the bottle and maynard looked at me and shook his finger and said no. lol. Then i was like oops my bad he then gives me a thumb and says "good man". then i was hoping for a stick form Danny but hes like i got none. He was over the top with his performance tonight he is one of the best drummers out there, he is so good. also the visuals and everything frikin ossum and front row i thought it was wow just amazing. the band rocked and every song was perfect start to finsh maybe except for Maynard's voice on the megaphone from Rosetta but other than that unbelievable. The visuals and everything were better then Mansfield back in september and Jersey the week after i thought. I would ask for one more song but i gotta say i would see that same show again and again. then the set was awesome all was perfect starts to finsh and to hear FLOOD was special, that was a highlight for me WOW FUCKEN OSSUM PERFORMANCE once again from Tool.
10/6/06- Continental Arena, NJ
7/14/07- Times Union Center, NY

Last edited by drumdude1387; 07-15-2007 at 05:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
bobbobbob's Avatar bobbobbob
07-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Solid show...I was disappointed at first that they didnt play Pushit but that 10 minute back and forth between Danny and the drummer from Big Business was fucking great.

The above setlist is correct.

I'm really pissed though...I tried to record the show but I guess I was too damn close (10th row, FL3) and it sounds like absolute shit...I was right along the big strip of speakers...so that probably didnt help.

I loved the bit with Maynard that as Danny and the BB drummer were going their solo, Maynard got a lab coat and started putting about 6-8 bushes in front of his stage area...after the solo, Maynard mentioned something like "I'm behind these bushes...they're camouflaged...so the terrorists won't get me...shhh, dont tell anyone."

Maynard's vocals were really on and off during the show...they seemed to be too high and were being drowned out much more than what is normal for the show.

Not a bad show overall, the solo during Lateralus was definitely the best part...not as good as the others I've seen during the tour though.
Mardock rules.

Last edited by bobbobbob; 07-14-2007 at 08:57 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 8121

Solid show...I was disappointed at first that they didnt play Pushit but that 10 minute back and forth between Danny and the drummer from Big Business was fucking great.

The above setlist is correct.

I'm really pissed though...I tried to record the show but I guess I was too damn close (10th row, FL3) and it sounds like absolute shit...I was right along the big strip of speakers...so that probably didnt help.

I loved the bit with Maynard that as Danny and the BB drummer were going their solo, Maynard got a lab coat and started putting about 6-8 bushes in front of his stage area...after the solo, Maynard mentioned something like "I'm behind these bushes...they're camouflaged...so the terrorists won't get me...shhh, dont tell anyone."

Maynard's vocals were really on and off during the show...they seemed to be too high and were being drowned out much more than what is normal for the show.

Not a bad show overall, the solo during Lateralus was definitely the best part...not as good as the others I've seen during the tour though.
Mardock rules.

Last edited by bobbobbob; 07-14-2007 at 08:57 PM..
OFFLINE |  
steverigh420's Avatar steverigh420
07-14-2007, 08:49 PM

Just got home KILLER Show!!!!!!!!

setlist above correct, maynard did not say much other then"Good Evening" at the begining then during laterlus he said "Joey come on down" referring to the drummer of big business, which by the way was fucking amazing!!. during laterlus justin pounded like 5 or 6 beers (i lost count) the stage crew were bring out little trees of some sort and putting them on maynards stage and after the the song ended maynard asked the crowd if they like his garden and said it was camo from the tarrorist, and then you will see us soon and the crowd cheered and then he said no you won't cuz he was hidden in his garden. But all in all the concert was amazing from start to finish!

BEST CONCERT EVER!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Just got home KILLER Show!!!!!!!!

setlist above correct, maynard did not say much other then"Good Evening" at the begining then during laterlus he said "Joey come on down" referring to the drummer of big business, which by the way was fucking amazing!!. during laterlus justin pounded like 5 or 6 beers (i lost count) the stage crew were bring out little trees of some sort and putting them on maynards stage and after the the song ended maynard asked the crowd if they like his garden and said it was camo from the tarrorist, and then you will see us soon and the crowd cheered and then he said no you won't cuz he was hidden in his garden. But all in all the concert was amazing from start to finish!

BEST CONCERT EVER!!!!!!!
OFFLINE |  
bobbobbob's Avatar bobbobbob
07-14-2007, 08:56 PM

it wasn't the stage crew, that was maynard in the lab coat arranging the trees.

that's what I found funny about it.
Mardock rules.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 8121

it wasn't the stage crew, that was maynard in the lab coat arranging the trees.

that's what I found funny about it.
Mardock rules.
OFFLINE |  
Phosphorescent Button's Avatar Phosphorescent Button
07-14-2007, 08:57 PM

Wow. Utterly speechless!

I have to keep this brief because I'm so wiped out right now...

Bottom line, I flew out from SoCal for this show since I was able to fit it in along with a business trip (perfect huh?). This is my 4th show this tour. I also attended the back-to-back San Diego shows in May (debut of Pushit) and the first LA show in 06 (debut of Wings).

This show was the best of the four and that says a lot! I think everyone has come to realize that the crowd and venue dynamics are the real driving force behind a Tool performance. The crowd here in upstate NY was respectful, excited, and just plain wonderful. Especially compared to the assholes in SoCal. Lots of the audience was standing for the performance. No real cases of dumbasses doing things to offend Maynard, etc.

I think Maynard liked the crowd's energy and it showed. This was a very different Maynard. He was in superb spirits. I loved Lateralus especially. During the extended drum solo, he was bringing out plants to the stage platform by Danny and calmly watering them. He serenely walked by the Big Business drummer and gave him a nice pat on the back, like, "Good job kiddo, you're giving Danny a run for his money" kind of vibe. It was like Maynard was the wise old teacher giving props to his favorite student for a job well done. I guess you had to be there.

I'm so blessed to have seen Flood. I needed that tonight since it's the first Undertow performance that I've seen this tour. Flood was certainly a highlight, but the Lateralus performance was my favorite of the evening, very much due to the vibe I mentioned before.

The obligatory, "We'll see you again real soon" was spoken by Maynard towards the end. It's clear that this is morphing into Tool's most extensive tour of their career with no sign of ending. I wonder about the reasoning for this. Do the guys realize that they truly are the last defining force in rock and roll and feel obligated to hold the genre above water before it drowns? Is it strictly an ego thing? Is it strictly about the revenue? I don't know, but us fans are benefiting greatly.

I really think the whole setlist discussion is a mute point. Even since the San Diego shows in May, the whole performance has evolved yet again. This experience was vastly different and just as incredible despite the set list similarities. I urge everyone to continue supporting the band's touring efforts. If we keep selling out shows for them, this thing could go on for a long time.

I took over 70 images of the show from my 10th row floor seat on the aisle. I'll provide a link to them when I have time to burn tomorrow at the airport.

Thank you TOOL. Your boundless talents never disappoint. To the defining rock band of the new millenia!

Nick Kaos

Floor1, Row R, Seat 1 (Pink Floyd shirt)
Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Wow. Utterly speechless!

I have to keep this brief because I'm so wiped out right now...

Bottom line, I flew out from SoCal for this show since I was able to fit it in along with a business trip (perfect huh?). This is my 4th show this tour. I also attended the back-to-back San Diego shows in May (debut of Pushit) and the first LA show in 06 (debut of Wings).

This show was the best of the four and that says a lot! I think everyone has come to realize that the crowd and venue dynamics are the real driving force behind a Tool performance. The crowd here in upstate NY was respectful, excited, and just plain wonderful. Especially compared to the assholes in SoCal. Lots of the audience was standing for the performance. No real cases of dumbasses doing things to offend Maynard, etc.

I think Maynard liked the crowd's energy and it showed. This was a very different Maynard. He was in superb spirits. I loved Lateralus especially. During the extended drum solo, he was bringing out plants to the stage platform by Danny and calmly watering them. He serenely walked by the Big Business drummer and gave him a nice pat on the back, like, "Good job kiddo, you're giving Danny a run for his money" kind of vibe. It was like Maynard was the wise old teacher giving props to his favorite student for a job well done. I guess you had to be there.

I'm so blessed to have seen Flood. I needed that tonight since it's the first Undertow performance that I've seen this tour. Flood was certainly a highlight, but the Lateralus performance was my favorite of the evening, very much due to the vibe I mentioned before.

The obligatory, "We'll see you again real soon" was spoken by Maynard towards the end. It's clear that this is morphing into Tool's most extensive tour of their career with no sign of ending. I wonder about the reasoning for this. Do the guys realize that they truly are the last defining force in rock and roll and feel obligated to hold the genre above water before it drowns? Is it strictly an ego thing? Is it strictly about the revenue? I don't know, but us fans are benefiting greatly.

I really think the whole setlist discussion is a mute point. Even since the San Diego shows in May, the whole performance has evolved yet again. This experience was vastly different and just as incredible despite the set list similarities. I urge everyone to continue supporting the band's touring efforts. If we keep selling out shows for them, this thing could go on for a long time.

I took over 70 images of the show from my 10th row floor seat on the aisle. I'll provide a link to them when I have time to burn tomorrow at the airport.

Thank you TOOL. Your boundless talents never disappoint. To the defining rock band of the new millenia!

Nick Kaos

Floor1, Row R, Seat 1 (Pink Floyd shirt)
OFFLINE |  
Awakened1
07-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Amazing. My first TOOL show, its been way to long in the making but it was amazing. These guys are the most talented band since Pink Floyd. TOOL is in a league of their own. I found my eyes leaking during Lateralus. THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! Words dont do any justice to the experience.

PEACE
Old 07-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

Amazing. My first TOOL show, its been way to long in the making but it was amazing. These guys are the most talented band since Pink Floyd. TOOL is in a league of their own. I found my eyes leaking during Lateralus. THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! Words dont do any justice to the experience.

PEACE
OFFLINE |  
Oneontabob
07-14-2007, 09:52 PM

This was my first Tool show and. I took my daughter to her first concert tonight. I truly believe She will not see a better show any time soon. The drum solo duet was amazing as were all the visuals and sound. We were in sec. 207 WAY up high and still the show was great It was very funny watching Maynard wear the lab coat like the Roadies and set up his "camoflage from the terrorists" and at the end when Danny put the tree on his head We thought He was going to throw it into the crowd with his drum heads (LOL) I hope its not another 5 years before Tool comes back Our way.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and. I took my daughter to her first concert tonight. I truly believe She will not see a better show any time soon. The drum solo duet was amazing as were all the visuals and sound. We were in sec. 207 WAY up high and still the show was great It was very funny watching Maynard wear the lab coat like the Roadies and set up his "camoflage from the terrorists" and at the end when Danny put the tree on his head We thought He was going to throw it into the crowd with his drum heads (LOL) I hope its not another 5 years before Tool comes back Our way.
OFFLINE |  
xbalanke's Avatar xbalanke
07-14-2007, 09:58 PM

Random thoughts: fantastic show overall, great sound except vocals were lost in the mix too often. The plants thing was goofy fun. Visuals were phenomenal - had a great view of the stage and both screens. Surrounded by mostly well-behaved fans. I really NEEDED tonight to be an especially good show. I was at the Tweeter Center and the show was awesome despite the less-than-great seats until some drunk asshole started moshing in our row and crashed into my kids slamming my 11 year old daughter into her chair during Lateralus - her favorite song in the universe. She was bruised and crying and I was trying to console her while blocking to keep the bastard from a repeat performance - got some help in that dept. from surrounding fans - THANKS dudes! Anyway, tonight was so amazing for her she completely got over the disappointment from the other show. We'll all be back for the next go-round.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

Random thoughts: fantastic show overall, great sound except vocals were lost in the mix too often. The plants thing was goofy fun. Visuals were phenomenal - had a great view of the stage and both screens. Surrounded by mostly well-behaved fans. I really NEEDED tonight to be an especially good show. I was at the Tweeter Center and the show was awesome despite the less-than-great seats until some drunk asshole started moshing in our row and crashed into my kids slamming my 11 year old daughter into her chair during Lateralus - her favorite song in the universe. She was bruised and crying and I was trying to console her while blocking to keep the bastard from a repeat performance - got some help in that dept. from surrounding fans - THANKS dudes! Anyway, tonight was so amazing for her she completely got over the disappointment from the other show. We'll all be back for the next go-round.
OFFLINE |  
thisismoc
07-15-2007, 12:04 AM

This was my second show, its been a long time since August 21 2002 but the show has only gotten better. From the cheap seats (sect 233, row L) the sound was amazingly better than expected. I am an audio engineer, and expected bad things going in. However the Meyer line array sounded great and really tamed the Times Union Arena's reverbarance. The band was amazing, great energy and pace to the show. Im stoked to have heard 46 & 2 and Flood. I would have loved to have heard The Pot, or Aenemia, but Lateralus and Vicarious were amazing. I really loved the idea of using the stage as a surface for the 6 projectors in the rigging (a treat for those of us in the nose bleeds) and the video imagery was intense. Other technical highs: Moving truss features were used very well, as was front-of-house lighting and lasers. Everyone loves lasers, and they were pretty awesome for the first few songs they were used in... but I actually grew kind of tired of them and wished they would stop for a song or two. But thats the only "gripe" i could come up with. The scrim-drop to reveal the back drape was cool, a nice carry-over from prior tours.

Musically, the show was tighter than the last I had seen. Excellent set list, an intense 2 hour show that left me satisfied.

Come back to upstate NY soon, as I have other friends to share this experience with.

And to the assholes who were throwing glowsticks at Maynard during Jambi & Stinkfist... why?

Also, to the cute teenage couple who sat behind me, why do you shell hout 40 bucks to go to a concert, only to talk about high-school bullshit for the entire show? Learn a little?

Spiral out...
Old 07-15-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my second show, its been a long time since August 21 2002 but the show has only gotten better. From the cheap seats (sect 233, row L) the sound was amazingly better than expected. I am an audio engineer, and expected bad things going in. However the Meyer line array sounded great and really tamed the Times Union Arena's reverbarance. The band was amazing, great energy and pace to the show. Im stoked to have heard 46 & 2 and Flood. I would have loved to have heard The Pot, or Aenemia, but Lateralus and Vicarious were amazing. I really loved the idea of using the stage as a surface for the 6 projectors in the rigging (a treat for those of us in the nose bleeds) and the video imagery was intense. Other technical highs: Moving truss features were used very well, as was front-of-house lighting and lasers. Everyone loves lasers, and they were pretty awesome for the first few songs they were used in... but I actually grew kind of tired of them and wished they would stop for a song or two. But thats the only "gripe" i could come up with. The scrim-drop to reveal the back drape was cool, a nice carry-over from prior tours.

Musically, the show was tighter than the last I had seen. Excellent set list, an intense 2 hour show that left me satisfied.

Come back to upstate NY soon, as I have other friends to share this experience with.

And to the assholes who were throwing glowsticks at Maynard during Jambi & Stinkfist... why?

Also, to the cute teenage couple who sat behind me, why do you shell hout 40 bucks to go to a concert, only to talk about high-school bullshit for the entire show? Learn a little?

Spiral out...
OFFLINE |  
Alyx H.
07-15-2007, 06:51 AM

I took my brother to his first concert, and he would have had a religious experience if he wasn't an atheist. I have to say that the crowd definitely elevated the show, and the band fed off from it. Flood was a-mazing. Rosetta Stoned suite was a-mazing. Wings for Marie suite was a-mazing (more about emotional charge than sheer power).

The highlight? The Lateralus drum solo. Watching Danny manhandle his drumkit along with Coady Willis was mesmerizing. Coady definitely can hold his own, but you really can see why Danny is in a whole other league compared to any other rock drummer of this generation. But now I'm babbling...

---------

Section: 207, row: clouds --- Speaker strip blocked the view to the greatest drummer of our age.

But... my brother and I moved and sat on the steps MUCH farther down. Best decision ever.

Last edited by Alyx H.; 07-15-2007 at 06:54 AM..
Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

I took my brother to his first concert, and he would have had a religious experience if he wasn't an atheist. I have to say that the crowd definitely elevated the show, and the band fed off from it. Flood was a-mazing. Rosetta Stoned suite was a-mazing. Wings for Marie suite was a-mazing (more about emotional charge than sheer power).

The highlight? The Lateralus drum solo. Watching Danny manhandle his drumkit along with Coady Willis was mesmerizing. Coady definitely can hold his own, but you really can see why Danny is in a whole other league compared to any other rock drummer of this generation. But now I'm babbling...

---------

Section: 207, row: clouds --- Speaker strip blocked the view to the greatest drummer of our age.

But... my brother and I moved and sat on the steps MUCH farther down. Best decision ever.

Last edited by Alyx H.; 07-15-2007 at 06:54 AM..
OFFLINE |  
tooltomus's Avatar tooltomus
07-15-2007, 07:58 AM

I'll highlight my quick thoughts:
I HATE Jambi as the opener. I know I'm not the only one.
Maynard's voice sounded clearer than usual, with the usual Rosetta Stoned complaints- too muffled, distorted.
When Maynard put on the lab coat and brought the trees out, and then watering them, I could not stop laughing. It was a great bit of theater if you think about it. For people who are bored listening to drum solos, it was quite entertaining. Also, Justin drinking the beers one after the other was funny too.
While I'm on the subject of drum solos, I must once again say, as I have repeated various times on these postings- Does ANYONE ELSE KNOW HOW GOOD DANNY CAREY IS?? Put him up there with Neil Peart already! He is unbelievable.
FLOOD was my highlight. I never got to see them do it before. But I STILL never heard pushit after 6 freaking shows!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I'll highlight my quick thoughts:
I HATE Jambi as the opener. I know I'm not the only one.
Maynard's voice sounded clearer than usual, with the usual Rosetta Stoned complaints- too muffled, distorted.
When Maynard put on the lab coat and brought the trees out, and then watering them, I could not stop laughing. It was a great bit of theater if you think about it. For people who are bored listening to drum solos, it was quite entertaining. Also, Justin drinking the beers one after the other was funny too.
While I'm on the subject of drum solos, I must once again say, as I have repeated various times on these postings- Does ANYONE ELSE KNOW HOW GOOD DANNY CAREY IS?? Put him up there with Neil Peart already! He is unbelievable.
FLOOD was my highlight. I never got to see them do it before. But I STILL never heard pushit after 6 freaking shows!!!
OFFLINE |  
07-15-2007, 08:29 AM

Big Business sucked, Tool was good.

The setlist is correct. Maynard, maybe it's just my hearing, but Maynard said nothing at all the whole night except before "Vicarious" where he said "Thank you for coming out, we'll see you again soon." and "The hiding behind the plants because of the terrorists." The microphones were low as usual so you couldn't hear any of the vocals. The Lateralus drum solo between Danny Carey and the Big Business drummer was awesome. The lasers and visuals were fantastic. All in all a decent show except I wish they would turn up the microphone volume a bit.

Get the FACTS about FACTS!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

Big Business sucked, Tool was good.

The setlist is correct. Maynard, maybe it's just my hearing, but Maynard said nothing at all the whole night except before "Vicarious" where he said "Thank you for coming out, we'll see you again soon." and "The hiding behind the plants because of the terrorists." The microphones were low as usual so you couldn't hear any of the vocals. The Lateralus drum solo between Danny Carey and the Big Business drummer was awesome. The lasers and visuals were fantastic. All in all a decent show except I wish they would turn up the microphone volume a bit.

Get the FACTS about FACTS!
OFFLINE |  
timbo21's Avatar timbo21
07-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Great Show. Third time seeing them and first time in an enclosed arena. The sound , as was previously reported was kind of weak during Jambi and Stinkfist, but improved dramatically from there on out. For the first two songs, the house lights were on in my section as well as other lower level areas. (I was in 130 Row P, thanks to everyone in that general area for being awesome and respectful of the people around you. I felt lucky, because I saw alot of hammered people before the band even came out.) This was the set I expected to get , but it was still intense and awe-inspiring as usual. "Jambi" isn't a very strong opener especially at the slower tempo but hey, I was still rockin. I had a first-timer with me ,who previously had not understood the need for all the "ambient bullshit", but I think he now knows how that is more or less foreplay,which adds alot to the music as a whole. "Flood" was awesome and I was surprised that people weren't getting into it that much. "10,000 Days" was incredibly moving and epic, thanks to everyone around me that was listening instead of talking, I really got into the song alot more since it was much clearer than the last time I saw them. Truly a very powerful/beautiful song that translated alot better live this time around. I was in a trance for sure.

I was surprised when MJK sang the last chorus of "Vicarious", as people had been reporting that he hadn't been singing it. Very intense and incredible sounding. It worked as a closer and went well after "Lateralus". I looked over at my friend during the end of "Lateralus" and the look on his face was priceless. His explanation of the outro later in the car was amazing. Something akin to a jetplane landing on his face. haha. We jetted out right after Vicarious and didn't hit one bit of traffic. SCORE. Pretty much another amazing performance that once again cements the fact that I feel lucky to have gotten to experience this band more than once and bring people I care about to see them as well. Hope everyone had an awesome time as well.

Thanks Tool for being as inspiring and theraputic as ever.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Great Show. Third time seeing them and first time in an enclosed arena. The sound , as was previously reported was kind of weak during Jambi and Stinkfist, but improved dramatically from there on out. For the first two songs, the house lights were on in my section as well as other lower level areas. (I was in 130 Row P, thanks to everyone in that general area for being awesome and respectful of the people around you. I felt lucky, because I saw alot of hammered people before the band even came out.) This was the set I expected to get , but it was still intense and awe-inspiring as usual. "Jambi" isn't a very strong opener especially at the slower tempo but hey, I was still rockin. I had a first-timer with me ,who previously had not understood the need for all the "ambient bullshit", but I think he now knows how that is more or less foreplay,which adds alot to the music as a whole. "Flood" was awesome and I was surprised that people weren't getting into it that much. "10,000 Days" was incredibly moving and epic, thanks to everyone around me that was listening instead of talking, I really got into the song alot more since it was much clearer than the last time I saw them. Truly a very powerful/beautiful song that translated alot better live this time around. I was in a trance for sure.

I was surprised when MJK sang the last chorus of "Vicarious", as people had been reporting that he hadn't been singing it. Very intense and incredible sounding. It worked as a closer and went well after "Lateralus". I looked over at my friend during the end of "Lateralus" and the look on his face was priceless. His explanation of the outro later in the car was amazing. Something akin to a jetplane landing on his face. haha. We jetted out right after Vicarious and didn't hit one bit of traffic. SCORE. Pretty much another amazing performance that once again cements the fact that I feel lucky to have gotten to experience this band more than once and bring people I care about to see them as well. Hope everyone had an awesome time as well.

Thanks Tool for being as inspiring and theraputic as ever.
buttermule
07-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Awesome show. I wish we could have seen Pushit, but Flood was kick ass. We had back row floor seats. Let me just say, the security guards back there were dick heads. There was so much open space behind the seats but they would not let anyone stand back there for whatever reason. It sucks being cramped up next to everyone. But oh well, it was still one of the best shows Ive seen and I didnt let that ruin it for me. This time I brought a friend that hasnt seen them since 2001 at the same venue, he was blown away. Everything about it was an amazing experience, I feel privileged to have seen TOOL for the past 7 years. "see you soon"
Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Awesome show. I wish we could have seen Pushit, but Flood was kick ass. We had back row floor seats. Let me just say, the security guards back there were dick heads. There was so much open space behind the seats but they would not let anyone stand back there for whatever reason. It sucks being cramped up next to everyone. But oh well, it was still one of the best shows Ive seen and I didnt let that ruin it for me. This time I brought a friend that hasnt seen them since 2001 at the same venue, he was blown away. Everything about it was an amazing experience, I feel privileged to have seen TOOL for the past 7 years. "see you soon"
OFFLINE |  
alf8478
07-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Most of these reviews sum up the show perfectly, and the setlist looks right. I was in the 2nd row, dead center, actually I was right behind the first reviewer, Drumdude, his lucky friend got the ice and the Maynard bottle. Good job guys.
The show was great as usual, I couldn't hear Maynard that well, especially with the megaphone during Rosetta Stoned. Highlights for me were definitely Flood, WIngs 1&2, the drum off, Justin downing beer after beer while playing one-handed, and Maynard with those plants/trees. Anyone know what was in Maynard's water bottle pouch on his leg? Probably his latest wine. Excellent show, was worth the 2 hour drive. And if the girls who were next to me, who I switched my seats with so they could see better happen to read this: You're welcome, and hope to see you again along the way....
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Most of these reviews sum up the show perfectly, and the setlist looks right. I was in the 2nd row, dead center, actually I was right behind the first reviewer, Drumdude, his lucky friend got the ice and the Maynard bottle. Good job guys.
The show was great as usual, I couldn't hear Maynard that well, especially with the megaphone during Rosetta Stoned. Highlights for me were definitely Flood, WIngs 1&2, the drum off, Justin downing beer after beer while playing one-handed, and Maynard with those plants/trees. Anyone know what was in Maynard's water bottle pouch on his leg? Probably his latest wine. Excellent show, was worth the 2 hour drive. And if the girls who were next to me, who I switched my seats with so they could see better happen to read this: You're welcome, and hope to see you again along the way....
OFFLINE |  
10,000 Light Reflections's Avatar 10,000 Light Reflections
07-15-2007, 11:37 AM

awesome show, my 7th i think

drove about 3 hours from boston, paid out the ass for a hotel like 5 miles away from the arena. worth it

tailgating top floor in the parking garage is the way to go.

band sounded great, no extra love tho.

the whole bit with the trees was amazing.
i was sitting sec 107 row D, i was so close i could have spit on adam.

cant wait to see them again

http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4072135ma2.jpg
Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

awesome show, my 7th i think

drove about 3 hours from boston, paid out the ass for a hotel like 5 miles away from the arena. worth it

tailgating top floor in the parking garage is the way to go.

band sounded great, no extra love tho.

the whole bit with the trees was amazing.
i was sitting sec 107 row D, i was so close i could have spit on adam.

cant wait to see them again

http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?i...4072135ma2.jpg
OFFLINE |  
UndertowCon46
07-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Well, unfortunately for me it looks like I got the screw job for seats based on what others are saying. Initially walking in I thought I wouldn't be able to survive, ninth row dead center stage. Amazing view. But, it ended up being the worst Tool show I've ever seen, and probably even worst concert overall.

I couldn't hear Maynard sing ANYTHING until Flood. And... the volume for everyone else was WAY low. Big Business was louder. It was so frustrating because I could see the band was giving one of their greatest shows of the tour, I just couldn't hear it. I'm so mad about it I won't even go into it.

Stick to highlites I guess:

#1: Big Business drummer Cody was the shit, both during his own set and Lateralus. #2 Only because I expect this, otherwise it'd be #1, DANNY... since I couldn't hear anything else, I designated it as DANNY time, as opposed to "I'm going to see Tool"... watched him 95 percent of the time and he is a God. #3 Flood, even not being able to hear maynard, how can somebody not get fired up with that intro #4 Lateralus jam, actually, probably higher than 4, cause holy shit that was great. And as others have mentioned, it was definately Maynard in the lab coat with trees, and he even WATERED them, it was hiliarious. Also made my night when he went up to Cody with approval, because that guy earned it. #5 Vicariously IIIIIIIIII, but I've been lucky enough to see him actually sing it three times already, so not that big of a deal.

Sick to my stomach overall at the experience, as I brought my roommate after years of talking up Tool shows only for him to say "that was it?" Certainly not Tools fault, I could murder the sound crew.

Last edited by UndertowCon46; 07-15-2007 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: was informed of correct name for BB drummer
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

Well, unfortunately for me it looks like I got the screw job for seats based on what others are saying. Initially walking in I thought I wouldn't be able to survive, ninth row dead center stage. Amazing view. But, it ended up being the worst Tool show I've ever seen, and probably even worst concert overall.

I couldn't hear Maynard sing ANYTHING until Flood. And... the volume for everyone else was WAY low. Big Business was louder. It was so frustrating because I could see the band was giving one of their greatest shows of the tour, I just couldn't hear it. I'm so mad about it I won't even go into it.

Stick to highlites I guess:

#1: Big Business drummer Cody was the shit, both during his own set and Lateralus. #2 Only because I expect this, otherwise it'd be #1, DANNY... since I couldn't hear anything else, I designated it as DANNY time, as opposed to "I'm going to see Tool"... watched him 95 percent of the time and he is a God. #3 Flood, even not being able to hear maynard, how can somebody not get fired up with that intro #4 Lateralus jam, actually, probably higher than 4, cause holy shit that was great. And as others have mentioned, it was definately Maynard in the lab coat with trees, and he even WATERED them, it was hiliarious. Also made my night when he went up to Cody with approval, because that guy earned it. #5 Vicariously IIIIIIIIII, but I've been lucky enough to see him actually sing it three times already, so not that big of a deal.

Sick to my stomach overall at the experience, as I brought my roommate after years of talking up Tool shows only for him to say "that was it?" Certainly not Tools fault, I could murder the sound crew.

Last edited by UndertowCon46; 07-15-2007 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: was informed of correct name for BB drummer
OFFLINE |  
mattydread's Avatar mattydread
07-15-2007, 02:54 PM

This was my 2nd Tool show and they didn't disappoint. Flood and Lateralus were the highlights for me. Did anyone else see Alex Grey at the show? Supposedly he was 2 rows in front of me doing some sketches. I didn't notice him at all because I was so focused on the show. But a friend of mine a few rows over swore he was there.

Regarding the sound I think the arena is to blame, I've never been to a show there that sounded good. It was way too loud, even with earplugs my ears are still ringing today.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 2nd Tool show and they didn't disappoint. Flood and Lateralus were the highlights for me. Did anyone else see Alex Grey at the show? Supposedly he was 2 rows in front of me doing some sketches. I didn't notice him at all because I was so focused on the show. But a friend of mine a few rows over swore he was there.

Regarding the sound I think the arena is to blame, I've never been to a show there that sounded good. It was way too loud, even with earplugs my ears are still ringing today.
OFFLINE |  
Krazyman1990's Avatar Krazyman1990
07-15-2007, 04:07 PM

best show ever!!! very surprised that they did not play "the pot" being that it is a major song off the new album. 46 & 2 along with Vicarious were amzing and Lateralus was just mind blowing. Danny's arm still is a problem as he had to stop to rest it, still managed to bang away! Could barley see Maynard , he was in between two screens (from my angle) which made it almost impossible. the visual aspect of the show was none other then perfection! Hope i get to see them one more time before the tour is over
Old 07-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

best show ever!!! very surprised that they did not play "the pot" being that it is a major song off the new album. 46 & 2 along with Vicarious were amzing and Lateralus was just mind blowing. Danny's arm still is a problem as he had to stop to rest it, still managed to bang away! Could barley see Maynard , he was in between two screens (from my angle) which made it almost impossible. the visual aspect of the show was none other then perfection! Hope i get to see them one more time before the tour is over
OFFLINE |  
ZOINKS22's Avatar ZOINKS22
07-15-2007, 04:35 PM

Big Business blew! The entire section I was in concurred that we would have much rather had NO opening act - maybe someone was owed a favor to get those yahoos on stage - although the drummer did ROCK, the group had NO energy.
As for Tool, the visuals were such that almost mandated getting stoned. I agree with the earlier post that some thought went into those of us in upper levels with the stage/screen. The music came through crisp but Maynard's voice was all but lost except on Vicarious - was very disappointed in this - especially given that Tool is one of the few bands these days whose lyrics give voice to something deeper. Would have liked to have heard something from Perfect Circle - Blue would have been perfect after Wings..... If Maynard had shined through a little more on the sound, this would have been the best concert I have been to. Although Tool still remains the preeminent band of all genres, last night left me feeling let-down - something I thought impossible going in.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Big Business blew! The entire section I was in concurred that we would have much rather had NO opening act - maybe someone was owed a favor to get those yahoos on stage - although the drummer did ROCK, the group had NO energy.
As for Tool, the visuals were such that almost mandated getting stoned. I agree with the earlier post that some thought went into those of us in upper levels with the stage/screen. The music came through crisp but Maynard's voice was all but lost except on Vicarious - was very disappointed in this - especially given that Tool is one of the few bands these days whose lyrics give voice to something deeper. Would have liked to have heard something from Perfect Circle - Blue would have been perfect after Wings..... If Maynard had shined through a little more on the sound, this would have been the best concert I have been to. Although Tool still remains the preeminent band of all genres, last night left me feeling let-down - something I thought impossible going in.
OFFLINE |  
meatpopsicle
07-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Great show all around.
Am I the only one who heard Maynard do a "Lil John" impression?
"WHAT?!?! OH_KAY!!!"
F-ing hilarious.
I like Jambi as an opener. It works. It has energy.
I dont like hearing Flood anywhere in the set. It is such an old tune. I would trade hearing Flood, stinkfist, and 46&2 if they would play The Grudge.
As far as the sound goes, it is not the sound techs that suck. It is arenas that suck. If you want to hear every bit of music from every seat, then go to the vienna orchestra house. If you want good sound in an arena, do what I did. Get seats one section back from the stage, a few rows ahead of the sound board. I heard everything. Great mix too.
Rosetta stoned was ridiculously good.
My wife hates heavy metal and loved this show. She was raving.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show all around.
"WHAT?!?! OH_KAY!!!"
F-ing hilarious.
I like Jambi as an opener. It works. It has energy.
I dont like hearing Flood anywhere in the set. It is such an old tune. I would trade hearing Flood, stinkfist, and 46&2 if they would play The Grudge.
As far as the sound goes, it is not the sound techs that suck. It is arenas that suck. If you want to hear every bit of music from every seat, then go to the vienna orchestra house. If you want good sound in an arena, do what I did. Get seats one section back from the stage, a few rows ahead of the sound board. I heard everything. Great mix too.
Rosetta stoned was ridiculously good.
My wife hates heavy metal and loved this show. She was raving.
OFFLINE |  
timbo21's Avatar timbo21
07-15-2007, 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=meatpopsicle;2059616]Great show all around.
"WHAT?!?! OH_KAY!!!"
F-ing hilarious.

I did hear that and looked over at my friends to see if they caught it but they didn't. Between that and the foliage I think my man was in a good mood.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

[QUOTE=meatpopsicle;2059616]Great show all around.
"WHAT?!?! OH_KAY!!!"
F-ing hilarious.

I did hear that and looked over at my friends to see if they caught it but they didn't. Between that and the foliage I think my man was in a good mood.
poker_24_7
07-16-2007, 01:43 AM

My 5th Tool show and the best ever! My first time i saw them was at Blind Melons in Buffalo, NY with about 200 people....just after the "second stage" tour on Lollapalooza. They never disappoint! Sound was off for the firts 20 seconds of Jambi as well as some brief timing issues during Jambi and Rosetta stoned. Other than that the lasers,videos, and setlist melted my mind. I was center stage in section 125 lower level and I had to keep sitting down because I was being hypnotized by the videos and was afraid i was going to fall forward. Like a concert goer next to me said and it sums it up well "Abracadabra Mother Fcker WHOOO!" :) I was so jacked up after the show the 2 and a half hour ride home was a breeze! Thanks guys for everything and I will begin the countdown to see you again soon! It was not a concert....it is not a show.... It is a life altering, mind binding experience!

Last edited by poker_24_7; 07-16-2007 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Add more
Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

My 5th Tool show and the best ever! My first time i saw them was at Blind Melons in Buffalo, NY with about 200 people....just after the "second stage" tour on Lollapalooza. They never disappoint! Sound was off for the firts 20 seconds of Jambi as well as some brief timing issues during Jambi and Rosetta stoned. Other than that the lasers,videos, and setlist melted my mind. I was center stage in section 125 lower level and I had to keep sitting down because I was being hypnotized by the videos and was afraid i was going to fall forward. Like a concert goer next to me said and it sums it up well "Abracadabra Mother Fcker WHOOO!" :) I was so jacked up after the show the 2 and a half hour ride home was a breeze! Thanks guys for everything and I will begin the countdown to see you again soon! It was not a concert....it is not a show.... It is a life altering, mind binding experience!

Last edited by poker_24_7; 07-16-2007 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Add more
OFFLINE |  
webaries.com's Avatar webaries.com
07-16-2007, 07:10 AM

great show. traveling to albany is rather effortless. the drive is pleasant with terrific scenery. it also helps to find a parking spot directly across the street from the venue. everything in the vicinity closes at 7pm. theres a huge ?catholic? church which might be responsible. its so nice that the locals might feel the need to go twice in a weekend. or perhaps there was a town vote and they decided to away with saturday in favor of a second sunday. regardless, there was very little city traffic and leaving the venue was easy too.

i thought the performance in baltimore was better, specifically that it was darker, and the lasers were crisper. i agree that jambi is not my favorite opener, but they had the sound levels fixed by the end of the first verse which was pretty impressive. i would really like to hear the grudge again live someday, but im rather glad that the set list stays relatively the same. ive worked with VJ software before and it takes quite a lot of preparation and skill to sync animation and lighting and smoke to correspond. as expected, the visuals were tight. to the individuals in section 106, to the guy with the extra long arms who represented for us, thank you. special thanks to lisa.

to anyone who was paying attention, maynard's mother was in the room, top left corner mostly, she caught my attention several times during her song.

in addition, i was recently informed that maynard's aura is pink, not like hot pink or salmon, instead like a fresh rose. danny's is orange, justin's is blue and adam's is green. this may be debatable, not quite sure about the subjective nature of the comment.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

great show. traveling to albany is rather effortless. the drive is pleasant with terrific scenery. it also helps to find a parking spot directly across the street from the venue. everything in the vicinity closes at 7pm. theres a huge ?catholic? church which might be responsible. its so nice that the locals might feel the need to go twice in a weekend. or perhaps there was a town vote and they decided to away with saturday in favor of a second sunday. regardless, there was very little city traffic and leaving the venue was easy too.

i thought the performance in baltimore was better, specifically that it was darker, and the lasers were crisper. i agree that jambi is not my favorite opener, but they had the sound levels fixed by the end of the first verse which was pretty impressive. i would really like to hear the grudge again live someday, but im rather glad that the set list stays relatively the same. ive worked with VJ software before and it takes quite a lot of preparation and skill to sync animation and lighting and smoke to correspond. as expected, the visuals were tight. to the individuals in section 106, to the guy with the extra long arms who represented for us, thank you. special thanks to lisa.

to anyone who was paying attention, maynard's mother was in the room, top left corner mostly, she caught my attention several times during her song.

in addition, i was recently informed that maynard's aura is pink, not like hot pink or salmon, instead like a fresh rose. danny's is orange, justin's is blue and adam's is green. this may be debatable, not quite sure about the subjective nature of the comment.
OFFLINE |  
chopperny
07-16-2007, 07:17 AM

I was midway back on the floor on the left aisle, maybe 5 rows in front of the sound board. At first during Jambi the mix was horrible, but it was straitened out by the end of the song. I Have only been to two shows now (the only times they've played in Albany) and this was by far the best. Great set list. I'm very glad they played Wings/10000 days! It seems like the experience changes with your position in that arena from what everybody else has been saying.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

I was midway back on the floor on the left aisle, maybe 5 rows in front of the sound board. At first during Jambi the mix was horrible, but it was straitened out by the end of the song. I Have only been to two shows now (the only times they've played in Albany) and this was by far the best. Great set list. I'm very glad they played Wings/10000 days! It seems like the experience changes with your position in that arena from what everybody else has been saying.
OFFLINE |  
Mr. Keed
07-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Over a 4 hour ride each way and damn worth it. Was last row of the floor section on the right side of the sound board and the sound was as good as I've heard it. Security came past a couple of times telling me I couldn't stand off a little behind the seats but they were pretty cool and left me alone when I pointed at the row of 6 foot tall people in front of my short ass.. First time of 7 10k days shows on the floor and it was indeed a different experience. No view of the living stage but the lasers looked much cooler. Was thrilled to hear flood as I always seem to catch shows with right in two. Lateralus was incredible and even better than the atlantic city show. The big business drummer was so much better than that melt banana guy its not even funny. As opposed to Danny having to play harder and louder to drown him out this guy was good enough to hold his own and really was able to add to the dynamic of the song. Loved the garden, was a nice touch and really did help to keep him safe from the terrorists for another day. Just wish I was close enough to catch a clear pic of MJK in the oompa loompa getup while he was setting it up. Nothing else really to add as the band is pretty much as close to perfection as you can get so I will sit here and wait patiently for the wed. show at pnc.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Over a 4 hour ride each way and damn worth it. Was last row of the floor section on the right side of the sound board and the sound was as good as I've heard it. Security came past a couple of times telling me I couldn't stand off a little behind the seats but they were pretty cool and left me alone when I pointed at the row of 6 foot tall people in front of my short ass.. First time of 7 10k days shows on the floor and it was indeed a different experience. No view of the living stage but the lasers looked much cooler. Was thrilled to hear flood as I always seem to catch shows with right in two. Lateralus was incredible and even better than the atlantic city show. The big business drummer was so much better than that melt banana guy its not even funny. As opposed to Danny having to play harder and louder to drown him out this guy was good enough to hold his own and really was able to add to the dynamic of the song. Loved the garden, was a nice touch and really did help to keep him safe from the terrorists for another day. Just wish I was close enough to catch a clear pic of MJK in the oompa loompa getup while he was setting it up. Nothing else really to add as the band is pretty much as close to perfection as you can get so I will sit here and wait patiently for the wed. show at pnc.
OFFLINE |  
MFF0RD6
07-16-2007, 01:06 PM

a few comments:

I had the best damn time at this show!
the seats were impeccable, 6 rows up from the floor on adam's side in section 106. i had never seen their faces during a concert, adam is incredibly relaxed up there. also was surprised to notice there are only a few moments during the show when he actually shreds for an extended amount of time, his playing is more of a covergence with the other guys notes.

maynard seemed to be in a truly GOOD mood. even the 2 glowsticks thrown at his perch didn't cause any negative vibes for the other 10,000 people. his empasis at the end of vicarious was insane!

danny is a monster, i cannot wait for the volto show at the knitting factory LA next month so i can thank him for absolutely killing it this night. i didn't really get into the drum jam with coady from big business to be honest

justin laid it down oh so perfectly, his sense of timing is brilliant especially in precisely when to start a few of the songs after the interlude jams.

the video / lighting setup changed slightly from the LA shows in september. the tree of lights is gone, replaced by the huge screens that flank the band. the videos seemed different from tours past, and blew me away. i also found the 3 UFO lighting rigs to be especially cool towards the end of the set when each rig would focus its three lights on one bandmate, i think maynard was not illuminated by the UFO rigs. the lasers were better now. but of course it's all about the music, not the eye-candy...

FLOOD tore me up, i don't think i had ever seen it live and this version was legendary. this was one i kicked myself for missing at bonnaroo. i would go into more of a song-by-song list here, but i am constantly reminded of the quote most commonly attributed to frank zappa "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." i will note that the sound in 100 level close to the stage was THE best i've ever heard at a TOOL concert, so i'm sorry for those of you who were too close and the sound suffered as a result.

the crowd was a little subdued, especially in the 100 level section next to me (105) where there were rows of people sitting down (!) oh well, i'm not about to pass judgment, they might be republicans for all i know ;)

i hope for a final US tour / run with an LA show after europe, but if this is the last time i see them for a few years, i know i'll be content. after missing San Diego in may and Bonnaroo i think i made a good choice and saw a classic performance. Thank You TOOL!

edited: in the setlist, (-) Ions was played before Skinkfist

Last edited by MFF0RD6; 07-16-2007 at 01:44 PM..
Old 07-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

a few comments:

I had the best damn time at this show!
the seats were impeccable, 6 rows up from the floor on adam's side in section 106. i had never seen their faces during a concert, adam is incredibly relaxed up there. also was surprised to notice there are only a few moments during the show when he actually shreds for an extended amount of time, his playing is more of a covergence with the other guys notes.

maynard seemed to be in a truly GOOD mood. even the 2 glowsticks thrown at his perch didn't cause any negative vibes for the other 10,000 people. his empasis at the end of vicarious was insane!

danny is a monster, i cannot wait for the volto show at the knitting factory LA next month so i can thank him for absolutely killing it this night. i didn't really get into the drum jam with coady from big business to be honest

justin laid it down oh so perfectly, his sense of timing is brilliant especially in precisely when to start a few of the songs after the interlude jams.

the video / lighting setup changed slightly from the LA shows in september. the tree of lights is gone, replaced by the huge screens that flank the band. the videos seemed different from tours past, and blew me away. i also found the 3 UFO lighting rigs to be especially cool towards the end of the set when each rig would focus its three lights on one bandmate, i think maynard was not illuminated by the UFO rigs. the lasers were better now. but of course it's all about the music, not the eye-candy...

FLOOD tore me up, i don't think i had ever seen it live and this version was legendary. this was one i kicked myself for missing at bonnaroo. i would go into more of a song-by-song list here, but i am constantly reminded of the quote most commonly attributed to frank zappa "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." i will note that the sound in 100 level close to the stage was THE best i've ever heard at a TOOL concert, so i'm sorry for those of you who were too close and the sound suffered as a result.

the crowd was a little subdued, especially in the 100 level section next to me (105) where there were rows of people sitting down (!) oh well, i'm not about to pass judgment, they might be republicans for all i know ;)

i hope for a final US tour / run with an LA show after europe, but if this is the last time i see them for a few years, i know i'll be content. after missing San Diego in may and Bonnaroo i think i made a good choice and saw a classic performance. Thank You TOOL!

edited: in the setlist, (-) Ions was played before Skinkfist

Last edited by MFF0RD6; 07-16-2007 at 01:44 PM..
OFFLINE |  
AceOfSwords12's Avatar AceOfSwords12
07-17-2007, 03:34 AM

I don't mind opening with Jambi, decent energy the whole way through. If you are going to open with a 10K Days song, I think this is the one, Vicarious is definitely the one to end on!

I agree with earlier posts that Danny is as good (if not better) than any drummer of this era. I saw Rush the last two summers, Neil is a very different drummer from Danny, so it is hard to compare, but both top notch. Danny's sound is crisp and open, and technically his sound and technique is extremely clean. I don't think most casual listeners realize the complexity of his work. They seem to hear only about half of it, what a shame. I wonder if history will show him to be one of the greatest rock drummers of all time, I definitely hold him right there with Bonham!

The energy was good for most of the show in the area I was in, but I was disappointed when everyone sat down during Flood, I didn’t let that concern me, as I loved every chord. There is a definite dilemma when creating a set list for a Tool show. It seems that there are two types of fans. The ones who favor the radio-friendly songs (if there really are any), and the ones who long to hear the more seldom heard songs. Difficult to please everyone, but overall, I think the set list was appealing to both sides. I personally wouldn't have minded hearing The Grudge or Ticks & Leaches, but I was happy to just be present for the two hours they were on stage, and have no complaints what so ever.

I have seen a dozen shows at the Times Union Forum (Fmr. Pepsi Arena), and not a single one had decent sound quality; this was much better than ANY other I have seen here. I sincerely appreciate the effort that went into A/V here, as it is not an easy venue to sound good in. This was probably the most diverse crowd I have ever seen at a show like this. There were a few groups of parents with their kids in front of us, and a couple in their sixties rocking out to my left, good to see!

I have been to four Tool shows over the past few years and have yet to hear an encore. Halfway through Vicarious, I though for sure this would be the one. Energy was out of this world at that point, and the band seemed in excellent spirits. Like I said before, I was just happy to have the experience. Thank You Tool, I sincerely hope to see you again soon, Albany loves you guys!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

I don't mind opening with Jambi, decent energy the whole way through. If you are going to open with a 10K Days song, I think this is the one, Vicarious is definitely the one to end on!

I agree with earlier posts that Danny is as good (if not better) than any drummer of this era. I saw Rush the last two summers, Neil is a very different drummer from Danny, so it is hard to compare, but both top notch. Danny's sound is crisp and open, and technically his sound and technique is extremely clean. I don't think most casual listeners realize the complexity of his work. They seem to hear only about half of it, what a shame. I wonder if history will show him to be one of the greatest rock drummers of all time, I definitely hold him right there with Bonham!

The energy was good for most of the show in the area I was in, but I was disappointed when everyone sat down during Flood, I didn’t let that concern me, as I loved every chord. There is a definite dilemma when creating a set list for a Tool show. It seems that there are two types of fans. The ones who favor the radio-friendly songs (if there really are any), and the ones who long to hear the more seldom heard songs. Difficult to please everyone, but overall, I think the set list was appealing to both sides. I personally wouldn't have minded hearing The Grudge or Ticks & Leaches, but I was happy to just be present for the two hours they were on stage, and have no complaints what so ever.

I have seen a dozen shows at the Times Union Forum (Fmr. Pepsi Arena), and not a single one had decent sound quality; this was much better than ANY other I have seen here. I sincerely appreciate the effort that went into A/V here, as it is not an easy venue to sound good in. This was probably the most diverse crowd I have ever seen at a show like this. There were a few groups of parents with their kids in front of us, and a couple in their sixties rocking out to my left, good to see!

I have been to four Tool shows over the past few years and have yet to hear an encore. Halfway through Vicarious, I though for sure this would be the one. Energy was out of this world at that point, and the band seemed in excellent spirits. Like I said before, I was just happy to have the experience. Thank You Tool, I sincerely hope to see you again soon, Albany loves you guys!
OFFLINE |  
chopperny
07-17-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSwords12 View Post
I have seen a dozen shows at the Times Union Forum (Fmr. Pepsi Arena), and not a single one had decent sound quality; this was much better than ANY other I have seen here. I sincerely appreciate the effort that went into A/V here, as it is not an easy venue to sound good in.
I agree! I think the sound there is notoriously horrendous, yet this show sounded great overall.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSwords12 View Post
I have seen a dozen shows at the Times Union Forum (Fmr. Pepsi Arena), and not a single one had decent sound quality; this was much better than ANY other I have seen here. I sincerely appreciate the effort that went into A/V here, as it is not an easy venue to sound good in.
I agree! I think the sound there is notoriously horrendous, yet this show sounded great overall.
OFFLINE |  
xorcberg
07-17-2007, 07:45 AM

This was my first Tool show -- it definitely rocked. The seats weren't the best, but they were good enough. Section 234, we were at an angle but for the most part the stage was in good view.

I definitely have to agree with some of the people who noticed the vocals were a bit off at first -- it sounded like it took the sound crew a little bit to get the levels right. It still didn't end up perfect but they did a good job getting it close enough. Not my favorite concert but I'd definitely rank this in my top 3.

The only thing that sucked was about a half hour or so into the show, this group of douches decided to stand along the railing directly in front of our section. The one guy looked like the Geico caveman and was dancing all 80's style. I was waiting for him to bust out the robot. Dude was mad annoying. But I shit you not, he looked EXACTLY like the caveman from the Geico commercials. I'm also pretty sure he was on ecstacy and/or some other drugs.

All in all, great show. I hope to see Tool live again sometime.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show -- it definitely rocked. The seats weren't the best, but they were good enough. Section 234, we were at an angle but for the most part the stage was in good view.

I definitely have to agree with some of the people who noticed the vocals were a bit off at first -- it sounded like it took the sound crew a little bit to get the levels right. It still didn't end up perfect but they did a good job getting it close enough. Not my favorite concert but I'd definitely rank this in my top 3.

The only thing that sucked was about a half hour or so into the show, this group of douches decided to stand along the railing directly in front of our section. The one guy looked like the Geico caveman and was dancing all 80's style. I was waiting for him to bust out the robot. Dude was mad annoying. But I shit you not, he looked EXACTLY like the caveman from the Geico commercials. I'm also pretty sure he was on ecstacy and/or some other drugs.

All in all, great show. I hope to see Tool live again sometime.
OFFLINE |  
nicktool100
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM

This was also my first tool show, ive been a big fan for a couple years now and that show as just fucking amazing. Lateralus had to be one of my favorites, especially the solo, and the drums were amazing (the only good thing about big business was the drummer). Also i thought wings for marie was fuckin intense...did anyone happen to look up at the lasers the smoke almost made it look like clouds which made it that more deep. Does anyone know where to get a recording of the concert, or maybe some pics, i know security was kinda lame about having cameras and what not?

-Nick
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

This was also my first tool show, ive been a big fan for a couple years now and that show as just fucking amazing. Lateralus had to be one of my favorites, especially the solo, and the drums were amazing (the only good thing about big business was the drummer). Also i thought wings for marie was fuckin intense...did anyone happen to look up at the lasers the smoke almost made it look like clouds which made it that more deep. Does anyone know where to get a recording of the concert, or maybe some pics, i know security was kinda lame about having cameras and what not?

-Nick
OFFLINE |  
ashscacc
07-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx H. View Post

---------

Hey I was in 207 also. The speaker definitely blocked the drummer, i moved down to the front as well during the drum solo. --- little girl with the pink hair. Definitely a good decision. That was my first Tool show and I can say with confidence that that was the best experience of my life thus far.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx H. View Post

---------

Hey I was in 207 also. The speaker definitely blocked the drummer, i moved down to the front as well during the drum solo. --- little girl with the pink hair. Definitely a good decision. That was my first Tool show and I can say with confidence that that was the best experience of my life thus far.
OFFLINE |  
Vissere
07-18-2007, 08:04 AM

very creative show. first tool show, i was amazed and full of emotion. was only like 6 years old when undertow came out, i wish i was older so i could have saw them live back in the early 90's but they were amazing.

i know this isn't anything creative but i didn't kno where else on here to post.
i saw this interview for mjk http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ucBFavtHAY

he talks about a book about human pain by an author named ronald written in the 1940's. i can't seem to find it and thought someone might know.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

very creative show. first tool show, i was amazed and full of emotion. was only like 6 years old when undertow came out, i wish i was older so i could have saw them live back in the early 90's but they were amazing.

i know this isn't anything creative but i didn't kno where else on here to post.
i saw this interview for mjk http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ucBFavtHAY

he talks about a book about human pain by an author named ronald written in the 1940's. i can't seem to find it and thought someone might know.
OFFLINE |  
robd007
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM

third tool show (Uniondale, NY 10/07, Madison Square Garden 10/01), all the way upper level letter Q or some shit...great sound though, what can i say no one can compare to TOOL, they make it look so easy, too. im glad i took the trip up to albany from long island, well worth it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

third tool show (Uniondale, NY 10/07, Madison Square Garden 10/01), all the way upper level letter Q or some shit...great sound though, what can i say no one can compare to TOOL, they make it look so easy, too. im glad i took the trip up to albany from long island, well worth it.
OFFLINE |  
mike06274
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Great show! And being up in the 200's it was still great
i wish i woulda heard the pot too like others said the concert rocked and thanks for the show hope to see you guys again
Old 07-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Great show! And being up in the 200's it was still great
i wish i woulda heard the pot too like others said the concert rocked and thanks for the show hope to see you guys again
OFFLINE |  
larose1023
07-21-2007, 05:08 PM

I have to say that this was the BEST concert I have ever seen...I have seen Tool 4 times and A Perfect Circle 2 times and every time I am amazed. This was a truly spiritual and cathartic experience for me. I was overwhelmed with utter happiness when they played Flood...OUTSTANDING!! The entire arena was absolutley overjoyed as well, you could sense the vibe in the air. Danny was UNBELIEVABLE!! He is truly the BEST drummer of our time...a true living legend. Maynard has touched a part in Tool fans on a deeply spiritual level and seems to be able to bring a crowd to mental climax...thanyou for that!! I must add that I recognized Alex Grey sitting in seat A1...I was across from him and noticed him sketching...I thought that was very cool and looked up at his face and realized it was Alex Grey (the greatest artist of our time). I badly wanted to talk to him, but decided to let him alone to enjoy the show without some nosey schmuck bugging him...but WOW!!!!!! I was extremely satisfied, I would have died if they played 11 or Pushit, however!! Anyways...thanks for the absolutley phenominal genious in TOOL...(the Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin of our time).XOXOXOXO
Old 07-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #37
Level 1 - Lurker

I have to say that this was the BEST concert I have ever seen...I have seen Tool 4 times and A Perfect Circle 2 times and every time I am amazed. This was a truly spiritual and cathartic experience for me. I was overwhelmed with utter happiness when they played Flood...OUTSTANDING!! The entire arena was absolutley overjoyed as well, you could sense the vibe in the air. Danny was UNBELIEVABLE!! He is truly the BEST drummer of our time...a true living legend. Maynard has touched a part in Tool fans on a deeply spiritual level and seems to be able to bring a crowd to mental climax...thanyou for that!! I must add that I recognized Alex Grey sitting in seat A1...I was across from him and noticed him sketching...I thought that was very cool and looked up at his face and realized it was Alex Grey (the greatest artist of our time). I badly wanted to talk to him, but decided to let him alone to enjoy the show without some nosey schmuck bugging him...but WOW!!!!!! I was extremely satisfied, I would have died if they played 11 or Pushit, however!! Anyways...thanks for the absolutley phenominal genious in TOOL...(the Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin of our time).XOXOXOXO
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-22-2007, 01:00 PM   #38
Level 4 - Thinker

By request, here are some of my better pics from this show. They were taken right on the aisle of FLR1, 12th row in front of Adam. They are cell-phone pics, but I maxed out the res and adjusted the white balance and hoped some would turn out. Better than nothing. Enjoy:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/.../10000Days.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...10000Days2.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...10000Days3.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kaosfm/Flood.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kaosfm/Lasers.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kaosfm/Rosetta.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...Stinkfist1.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/.../TheSpiral.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...Thespiral2.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/.../vicarious.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kaosfm/Adamsolo.jpg

Last edited by Phosphorescent Button; 07-22-2007 at 01:05 PM..
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply