Descending (new song jam)
Jambi
46-2
_________

Intermission + DC solo
_________

Vicarious
Stinkfist (extended)

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-10-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
REVIEW - Jan 6th SF

OFFICIAL SETLIST

No quarter
Grudge
Parabol/Parabola
Schism
Opiate (extended)
Aenema
Descending (new song jam)
Jambi
46-2
_________

Intermission + DC solo
_________

Vicarious
Stinkfist (extended)

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-10-2016 at 11:31 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
tooligan5
01-06-2016, 11:24 PM

No quarter
Grudge
Parabol-parabola
Schism
Opiate
Aenina
Descending
Jambi
46-2
Dc solo
Vicarious
Stink fist
Phoenix 10/30/01, Tucson 7/18/02, Tempe 5/6/06, Los Angeles 9/7/06, Los Angeles 9/8/06, Tucson 5/6/07, Phoenix 7/21/09, Las Vegas 7/16/10, Tucson 1/17/12, Phoenix 3/17/14, Tempe 10/31/15, San Francisco 1/6/16, Salt Lake 10/24/16
Old 01-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: REVIEW - Jan 6th SF

No quarter
Grudge
Parabol-parabola
Schism
Opiate
Aenina
Descending
Jambi
46-2
Dc solo
Vicarious
Stink fist
Phoenix 10/30/01, Tucson 7/18/02, Tempe 5/6/06, Los Angeles 9/7/06, Los Angeles 9/8/06, Tucson 5/6/07, Phoenix 7/21/09, Las Vegas 7/16/10, Tucson 1/17/12, Phoenix 3/17/14, Tempe 10/31/15, San Francisco 1/6/16, Salt Lake 10/24/16
90hoursleep's Avatar 90hoursleep
01-06-2016, 11:29 PM

Awesome show. Pushed my way nearly all the way front and center. Great to hear No Quarter, Grudge, and Opiate especially. Maynard dressed like Robocop.

I thought the jam that is being referred to as "descending" was a teaser mix of pushit (salival version) and eulogy but that might be the booze talking.

Last edited by 90hoursleep; 01-06-2016 at 11:36 PM..
Old 01-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Awesome show. Pushed my way nearly all the way front and center. Great to hear No Quarter, Grudge, and Opiate especially. Maynard dressed like Robocop.

I thought the jam that is being referred to as "descending" was a teaser mix of pushit (salival version) and eulogy but that might be the booze talking.

Last edited by 90hoursleep; 01-06-2016 at 11:36 PM..
mattw
01-07-2016, 02:23 AM

That was intense! Here are some random highlights:

* No Quarter is amazing to hear live for the first time.
* Parabol/a still sounds really tight too. Glad it's reappeared in the setlist.
* Justin got a little playful winding up the crowd before cutting in to start his part in Schism. A nice little live moment addition.
* Opiate featured the same expanded middle section from Tempe's show. Just seems like an opportunity to play/experiment with cool new sounds. It's a nice bonus.
* Aenema was fucking impressive! The whole visual/aesthetic experience. Loved it.
* Descending sounds so carefully crafted and just blended in to start Jambi. Not sure everyone knew straight away that Adam had started Jambi. No pause between songs...
* 46 & 2 (See above re Aenema)
* Vicarious - Maynard actually/finally sang the whole "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies; much better you then I" ending completely unaided. It adds so much to climax of that song. Got so sick of him not doing over the last decade.
* Stinkfist (See above re 46 & 2).

Those three Aenima staples (Aenema, 46 & 2, Stinkfist) are completely perfect in my opinion. Yes, I know they've been playing them for 20 years now but everything just works i.e. visuals, mixing, colours, lasers etc. I'm not sure I''ll ever grow tired of those songs...

Overall, it was a tight performance with a few new splashes or 'teases' of new material thrown in. The band members seem really positive & full of spirit. Looked like the really enjoyed being back on stage but also display great pride in their body of work.

Maynard even stands back in some songs and just watches Adam, Justin & Danny play a well-coordinated heavy part. Fuck they are good.

Anyway, see you all tomorrow night... hopefully one or two different songs for a little extra fun. Cheers!
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Old 01-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

That was intense! Here are some random highlights:

* No Quarter is amazing to hear live for the first time.
* Parabol/a still sounds really tight too. Glad it's reappeared in the setlist.
* Justin got a little playful winding up the crowd before cutting in to start his part in Schism. A nice little live moment addition.
* Opiate featured the same expanded middle section from Tempe's show. Just seems like an opportunity to play/experiment with cool new sounds. It's a nice bonus.
* Aenema was fucking impressive! The whole visual/aesthetic experience. Loved it.
* Descending sounds so carefully crafted and just blended in to start Jambi. Not sure everyone knew straight away that Adam had started Jambi. No pause between songs...
* 46 & 2 (See above re Aenema)
* Vicarious - Maynard actually/finally sang the whole "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies; much better you then I" ending completely unaided. It adds so much to climax of that song. Got so sick of him not doing over the last decade.
* Stinkfist (See above re 46 & 2).

Those three Aenima staples (Aenema, 46 & 2, Stinkfist) are completely perfect in my opinion. Yes, I know they've been playing them for 20 years now but everything just works i.e. visuals, mixing, colours, lasers etc. I'm not sure I''ll ever grow tired of those songs...

Overall, it was a tight performance with a few new splashes or 'teases' of new material thrown in. The band members seem really positive & full of spirit. Looked like the really enjoyed being back on stage but also display great pride in their body of work.

Maynard even stands back in some songs and just watches Adam, Justin & Danny play a well-coordinated heavy part. Fuck they are good.

Anyway, see you all tomorrow night... hopefully one or two different songs for a little extra fun. Cheers!
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
sianspheric's Avatar sianspheric
01-08-2016, 07:45 AM

Great review, looking to hear about night two.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 174

Great review, looking to hear about night two.
Tantobourne
01-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Compared to the Tempe gig NQ was a lot more solid on the 6th show. Reading this morning, it was refined even more for last night's show. I was impressed with 'Nardo's vocals on Wednesday. Maybe it was because I was in a venue vs. the Tempe gig but he was pulling off sustained lyrics that I hadn't heard him do in previous shows I attended. Was glad to see that Adam's talk box actually worked for Jambi. Missed the Vicarious bit because I pulled myself out of the meat press crowd at the barricade right after Aenima. Pulled back to the sound board and talked with Rynne's sis and her beau for a bit so missed out on the Vicarious bit. Overall loved the gig. Only regret was that I didn't take a balcony seat to enjoy the visuals.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 64

Compared to the Tempe gig NQ was a lot more solid on the 6th show. Reading this morning, it was refined even more for last night's show. I was impressed with 'Nardo's vocals on Wednesday. Maybe it was because I was in a venue vs. the Tempe gig but he was pulling off sustained lyrics that I hadn't heard him do in previous shows I attended. Was glad to see that Adam's talk box actually worked for Jambi. Missed the Vicarious bit because I pulled myself out of the meat press crowd at the barricade right after Aenima. Pulled back to the sound board and talked with Rynne's sis and her beau for a bit so missed out on the Vicarious bit. Overall loved the gig. Only regret was that I didn't take a balcony seat to enjoy the visuals.
01-08-2016, 11:33 AM

" Rape is never fun, except during this song" - MJK... during Opiate
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

" Rape is never fun, except during this song" - MJK... during Opiate
nrca
01-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Night one: Fucking awesome! As expected, Tool is always fucking awesome. Always love seeing them. As the years have gone by, band still is amazing! I noticed that Maynard was very active, then remembered that he got a full hip replacement, it really showed! He was a lot more active with Tool than I've seen for a bit. Also my first time seeing No Quarter and Parabol live. Good times.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Night one: Fucking awesome! As expected, Tool is always fucking awesome. Always love seeing them. As the years have gone by, band still is amazing! I noticed that Maynard was very active, then remembered that he got a full hip replacement, it really showed! He was a lot more active with Tool than I've seen for a bit. Also my first time seeing No Quarter and Parabol live. Good times.
Dash Rantic
01-08-2016, 05:50 PM

"We believe everything we read on Facebook" -- Maynard's opening quip after No Quarter :)

Same setlist as Monster Mash which was unfortunate as I was at MM so already saw the set, but no question they sounded better this time around. Maynard even sang the end of Vicarious which he almost never does (and he didn't Night 2), possibly to make up for him screwing up the beginning of the song? After Danny's solo (which was after the intermission) the rest of the band kicked into Vicarious, but Maynard wasn't back on stage yet when he was supposed to start singing. He came running up to the stage at that point and started strapping on his megaphone, while Danny and Justin kept playing for a few more measures. Then they all stopped, Maynard said "sorry guys I was taking a huge crap", and they started the song again (skipping the intro).

I think his exact quote for Opiate was "Metaphorically speaking of course, rape is never funny..................except for the fist kind." (said during the new interlude section).

--
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

"We believe everything we read on Facebook" -- Maynard's opening quip after No Quarter :)

Same setlist as Monster Mash which was unfortunate as I was at MM so already saw the set, but no question they sounded better this time around. Maynard even sang the end of Vicarious which he almost never does (and he didn't Night 2), possibly to make up for him screwing up the beginning of the song? After Danny's solo (which was after the intermission) the rest of the band kicked into Vicarious, but Maynard wasn't back on stage yet when he was supposed to start singing. He came running up to the stage at that point and started strapping on his megaphone, while Danny and Justin kept playing for a few more measures. Then they all stopped, Maynard said "sorry guys I was taking a huge crap", and they started the song again (skipping the intro).

I think his exact quote for Opiate was "Metaphorically speaking of course, rape is never funny..................except for the fist kind." (said during the new interlude section).

--
EastBayJ1972's Avatar EastBayJ1972
01-08-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Rantic View Post

--
He said he was taking a piss...not a huge crap
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Rantic View Post

--
He said he was taking a piss...not a huge crap
10,000 Days:4/30/06--5/4/06--9/3/06--12/11/07--7/13/10
Opiate Anniversary/ Pre-new album: 3/11/14--3/12/14
TOOL/Primus tour(minus Primus): 1/6/16
Dash Rantic
01-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Haha, couldn't quite make it out. Either was was kinda funny!

--
Old 01-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Haha, couldn't quite make it out. Either was was kinda funny!

--
Tantobourne
01-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Ok. After they pulled the sheet off of Danny's kit (it was the 2 ton kit with shells cast in recycled cymbals, right? Looked like it from where I was posted up at) someone behind me pointed out the gong. I was so caught up in the show that at no time did I recall him hitting that motherfucker. Did he? And when?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Ok. After they pulled the sheet off of Danny's kit (it was the 2 ton kit with shells cast in recycled cymbals, right? Looked like it from where I was posted up at) someone behind me pointed out the gong. I was so caught up in the show that at no time did I recall him hitting that motherfucker. Did he? And when?
01-08-2016, 10:10 PM

The gong is there to reflect positive energy on Danny and to help his playing.

I think I read that on th Tool faq on this site, which was last updated 15 years ago, which is awesome.
http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

The gong is there to reflect positive energy on Danny and to help his playing.

I think I read that on th Tool faq on this site, which was last updated 15 years ago, which is awesome.
Tantobourne
01-08-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yeti View Post
The gong is there to reflect...
Ok. So if anyone can pin down when he first strikes the gong and backs it with proof I'll kick down a paltry Reddit gold. Inquiring minds gotta know.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_yeti View Post
The gong is there to reflect...
Ok. So if anyone can pin down when he first strikes the gong and backs it with proof I'll kick down a paltry Reddit gold. Inquiring minds gotta know.
01-09-2016, 11:14 AM

I saw him hit that gong but can't recall during which song!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I saw him hit that gong but can't recall during which song!
01-09-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne View Post
He definitely used it in No Quarter, in the second half of the song after the bridge, right before it picks up again.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantobourne View Post
He definitely used it in No Quarter, in the second half of the song after the bridge, right before it picks up again.
Tantobourne
01-09-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hoursleep View Post
well hell, there you have it. looked it up on youtube and sure enough, you're right. if you've got a reddit account shoot me your handle and i'll pony up on that reddit gold.

thanks! it was bugging me ;-)

Last edited by Tantobourne; 01-09-2016 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hoursleep View Post
well hell, there you have it. looked it up on youtube and sure enough, you're right. if you've got a reddit account shoot me your handle and i'll pony up on that reddit gold.

thanks! it was bugging me ;-)

Last edited by Tantobourne; 01-09-2016 at 08:01 PM..
badisposition
01-28-2016, 09:37 AM

wow, sorry it took so long to post a review
i had forgotten my password and just now finally got a
new password so i could post

the show was great, as most of you already know

i came away with the feeling that Tool has a more diverse audience than
ever before, I saw all ages ranging from 10 to 92 at that show
(because I asked) I also saw all different races.
Used to be all white Why is this important?
because Tool's music is STILL gathering new listeners.

I too have a "rant" about that show,
at 55 years old, i should have known better than to go on the floor close to the
stage but I thought I would be relatively safe. Tool fans are smart music lovers.
during the 3 teeth performance in front of me I watched a mosh pit get started
by a mid thirties red haired woman, With her elbows up high, She took a running start and barrelled into the back of some unsuspecting and unlucky fans who had no idea they were about to be in a mosh pit. that mosh pit stayed active mostly because of that woman as she made sure to keep pushing and shoving the crowd around her. Im not sure what her ultimate goal was
maybe this was her ONLY chance of physical contact? unfortunately this set the tone for the crowd on the floor when Tool took the stage.
I managed to stay on my feet during No Quarter, The Grudge,and Parobol/A
it was not an easy thing to do as the crowd swayed side to side ,forward and backwards
many times I got hit hard by elbows and shoulders. I watched people get smacked hard
and then violently retaliate usually resulting in other innocents getting smacked.
the crowd around me kept it going and I saw fear in some peoples eyes and real hatred in others
They paid a $100 so they could literally beat up other people "legally".
I could hear schism being played as i turned and headed towards the back of the floor. as i started feeling like i was going to puke. I didnt but it took me until Danny hit the gong after the fast breakdown part of the song to make it to behind the soundboard area.
I felt much safer there and i felt better about leaving the main floor too. I went Jan 7 too
and stayed up in the Balcony seats. I will review that show too.
Ive been a fan since 1993
Old 01-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Level 4 - Thinker

wow, sorry it took so long to post a review
i had forgotten my password and just now finally got a
new password so i could post

the show was great, as most of you already know

i came away with the feeling that Tool has a more diverse audience than
ever before, I saw all ages ranging from 10 to 92 at that show
(because I asked) I also saw all different races.
Used to be all white Why is this important?
because Tool's music is STILL gathering new listeners.

I too have a "rant" about that show,
at 55 years old, i should have known better than to go on the floor close to the
stage but I thought I would be relatively safe. Tool fans are smart music lovers.
during the 3 teeth performance in front of me I watched a mosh pit get started
by a mid thirties red haired woman, With her elbows up high, She took a running start and barrelled into the back of some unsuspecting and unlucky fans who had no idea they were about to be in a mosh pit. that mosh pit stayed active mostly because of that woman as she made sure to keep pushing and shoving the crowd around her. Im not sure what her ultimate goal was
maybe this was her ONLY chance of physical contact? unfortunately this set the tone for the crowd on the floor when Tool took the stage.
I managed to stay on my feet during No Quarter, The Grudge,and Parobol/A
it was not an easy thing to do as the crowd swayed side to side ,forward and backwards
many times I got hit hard by elbows and shoulders. I watched people get smacked hard
and then violently retaliate usually resulting in other innocents getting smacked.
the crowd around me kept it going and I saw fear in some peoples eyes and real hatred in others
They paid a $100 so they could literally beat up other people "legally".
I could hear schism being played as i turned and headed towards the back of the floor. as i started feeling like i was going to puke. I didnt but it took me until Danny hit the gong after the fast breakdown part of the song to make it to behind the soundboard area.
I felt much safer there and i felt better about leaving the main floor too. I went Jan 7 too
and stayed up in the Balcony seats. I will review that show too.
Ive been a fan since 1993
nuraman00
04-29-2016, 05:55 PM

This was my favorite of the 5 times, because I heard a bunch of stuff I'd never heard before. "No Quarter", "The Grudge", both "Parabol" and "Parabola" together. I even finally got something from Opiate, the title track itself.

This show was the loudest of the times.

And to badisposition, I tried the floor for Tool in 2006. I'm fine with the floor for most shows, but Tool was too much. I was just falling, all the time. I also don't think it's appropriate for fans moshing during 10,000 Days. Since that's a more somber and personal song.

I've done the seats after that, and enjoyed it more, because I could see all of the visuals.

I couldn't see the visuals in 2006, because they were over my head.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my favorite of the 5 times, because I heard a bunch of stuff I'd never heard before. "No Quarter", "The Grudge", both "Parabol" and "Parabola" together. I even finally got something from Opiate, the title track itself.

This show was the loudest of the times.

And to badisposition, I tried the floor for Tool in 2006. I'm fine with the floor for most shows, but Tool was too much. I was just falling, all the time. I also don't think it's appropriate for fans moshing during 10,000 Days. Since that's a more somber and personal song.

I've done the seats after that, and enjoyed it more, because I could see all of the visuals.

I couldn't see the visuals in 2006, because they were over my head.
badisposition
05-07-2016, 12:29 PM

If Tool returns to the Bay Area i will be there. and ONLY in the balcony
Old 05-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

If Tool returns to the Bay Area i will be there. and ONLY in the balcony

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread