opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Live Discussion
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #5881
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
wish i could make money off my name
Do something great and you can
Old 05-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #5882
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

What is this about a farewell tour? No more NIN shows ever????
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #5883
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Embryo 2 View Post
I have heard (over and over) that JA is blowing NIN off the stage and that Trent seems over it...
nevermind

Last edited by Matthew77; 05-21-2009 at 01:42 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #5884
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHarv35 View Post
I'm with you, man. Not gonna miss Tool this time around. If nothing further is announced by May 29, Phoenix it is. See you there. But dammit, how could they pass up the west coast and northwest? hope those "more to come" dates come soon, ideally with the tour coming to the west after lollapalooza
I'm on the same page as you there. It's not worth the risk missing out on TOOL based purely on a possible SoCal date. Plus, I would assume Maynard would be in a much better mood playing in his backyard than playing in a state he'd much rather see lodged into the sea. Tucson got Pushit towards the end of the last tour...nuff said. Anyone have an opinion on this U.S. Airways venue in terms of sound quality, etc?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #5885
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphorescent Button View Post
We ended up leaving the San Diego NINJA show after just a few JA songs as well. I guess it's my own fault for not doing due dilligence when buying the tickets. I don't invest nearly as much time dealing with non-Tool shows. We assumed that JA would play first, because we all couldn't fathom that there'd actually be any demand to see JA close the show out. The people in our section seemed to agree. The lack of stage effects from the Lights in the Sky tour was just an added kick in the balls. The setlist was great imho though...
It's a kick to my balls every time I read something like this! I'm guessing you were also pissed that NIN didn't play 'Closer'! Did you see the 'LITS' tour? If not, that's your fault. They played it everywhere. What you're doing is the equivalent of getting pissed at TooL for ditching the 'Lateralus' stage effects during the '10,000 Days' warmup tour. And you should be thankful to see NIN and Jane's together on the same tour! Despite what band's music you think is better, Jane's deserves the headlining slot. If it weren't for Perry Ferrell, Jane's Addiction, and Lollapalooza, bands like Tool, NIN, Pearl Jam, and others wouldn't have the commercial success they have achieved. If you need stage effects that badly, in order to enjoy music, find some LSD, eat it before the show, and enjoy!

...ok... I feel better now.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #5886
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmansf View Post
I think they were asked to turn it down during the set but instead turned it up and the mayor threw a fizzy So Cal fit.
To the best of my knowledge:

There is a very strict decibel limit at the Santa Barbara Bowl. It's surrounded by fairly affluent and influential neighbors. During soundcheck they turned off the PA system to see if that could get it under the limit and it didn't. That's an unrealistic solution anyway. The stage volume from the guitar and bass rigs was louder than the limit on their own without the PA being on (Adam and Justin are quite loud onstage). The decision was made to pay the fine upfront so the sound engineer wouldn't be hassled by the sound police during the show to turn it down and could just do his job as normal. The down side to it was the lifetime ban was mentioned after the fact.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #5887
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by monko View Post
Guys, do you think there is any chance we might see "The Pot" video debut during this tour? I say possibly...
It won't be done by then.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #5888
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Also, as recently as Nov 2001.
That's not the venue/city that Blair was hinting at, though.
Oh god junior, don't tell me the venue in which Blair was referring to is The Glass House in Pomona? I was going to see Opeth there last friday actually, unfortunately I missed out. But still, not a fan of that city haha.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #5889
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge:

There is a very strict decibel limit at the Santa Barbara Bowl. It's surrounded by fairly affluent and influential neighbors. During soundcheck they turned off the PA system to see if that could get it under the limit and it didn't. That's an unrealistic solution anyway. The stage volume from the guitar and bass rigs was louder than the limit on their own without the PA being on (Adam and Justin are quite loud onstage). The decision was made to pay the fine upfront so the sound engineer wouldn't be hassled by the sound police during the show to turn it down and could just do his job as normal. The down side to it was the lifetime ban was mentioned after the fact.

You're the man. thanks. F the (sound) police!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #5890
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Oh god junior, don't tell me the venue in which Blair was referring to is The Glass House in Pomona? I was going to see Opeth there last friday actually, unfortunately I missed out. But still, not a fan of that city haha.
Nevermind, I'm retarded. I thought that venue was wayyyyyyy bigger than what it actually is. Just looked it up, I don't think it holds even 1k, so I'm gonna go ahead and say they won't be heading to pomona any time soon haha.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #5891
Level 4 - Thinker

Are there any rumors (or insider info) for any SoCal or NorCal shows? When and where?

I've seen them on every tour since '98 (end of the Aenime tour) in San Jose and now live in LA. The small mini tour w/ King Crimson was epic and so was the 10k days mini tour!

I'm still in shock that they are playing so soon after the 10k tour and now there's rumors that a new album will be coming out next year! '09 is looking good so far! ;^P
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #5892
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iholdthepain View Post
If it weren't for Perry Ferrell, Jane's Addiction, and Lollapalooza, bands like Tool, NIN, Pearl Jam, and others wouldn't have the commercial success they have achieved. If you need stage effects that badly, in order to enjoy music, find some LSD, eat it before the show, and enjoy!

...ok... I feel better now.
I don't dispute that fact, but to me Perry Ferrell's voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard...or someone being castrated...it's a close second.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #5893
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: in the quaalude induced semi-lucid dreams of the mexican staring frog of sri lanka
Bincount™: 80

this whole atlanta 7/27 debacle is pissing me off, cuz i wanted to go to the dallas show but missed the tix sales so im pretty much fucked for now, and atlanta is about as far away as dallas to me so im really hoping they can resolve this issue soon.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #5894
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_halo View Post

I'm still in shock that they are playing so soon after the 10k tour and now there's rumors that a new album will be coming out next year! '09 is looking good so far! ;^P
It's definitely a bonus (for us) that they are playing a few shows this summer, but I'd guess these shows are a catalyst to get back into the "groove" before starting to put together some new material. I read somewhere that they were at their collective peak as musicians right after a tour, so this might be an attempt to capture those creative juices.
As far as a new album in 2010... Not going to happen. They usually spend a year and an half on writing alone, then recording, mastering, art. At least another 9 months on top.
Spring of 2011? Maybe.
Hopefully not 2012...

Last edited by jwb; 05-21-2009 at 04:13 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #5895
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
There's still that possibility of the "off the beaten track" LA area show, but the last I heard that was still far from confirmed. A side note on that one is that I still haven't seen anyone on the various sites guess the right location. It is, however, not in a city that Tool has never played. But it might not even happen, so who knows. That's also not a challenge, since if someone guesses it now I'm not at liberty to confirm or deny it. I'm just saying that up until now I haven't seen it guessed.
Assuming that this not-so-beaten track from LA is south of Fresno, which I'd sure as hell hope it is, that leaves (according to your clue, of sorts) Bakersfield, Hollywood, Indio, Irvine, Long Beach, Pomona, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Ventura as Southern California cities in which (to the best of my knowledge) TOOL has previously played in. Counting out LA, of course.

Now, assuming Long Beach and Hollywood are both a part of LA, we can rule those out. Indio is only really for Coachella, and that already happened, so we can forget there as well. Santa Barbara is a no-go in my opinion, as there is nowhere there that i could see them playing (especially due to the Bowl ban). Ventura and Pomona only have venues that are much too small to host a tool show, these days anyway.

So that leaves Bakersfield, Irvine, and San Diego left as the possible cities for the possible Southern California Tool show. To me, Bakersfield is too far north to be used as a replacement, or appeasement for that matter, for the Southern California fans with no LA show this tour. So although very possible, for the sake of having an answer I am going to for now rule out that option. San Diego is obviously very likely, just doesn't seem to me that they'd consider San Diego "off the beaten track" when it seems they've played there almost as many times as they have in LA, and go there quite often on their tours. So I guess that would really only leave the Verizon Amphitheatre in Irvine as the most likely option. Outside of LA, certainly off the beaten path from their usual southern california tour sites...

Hmmm...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #5896
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Also, as recently as Nov 2001.
That's not the venue/city that Blair was hinting at, though.
Since the above quote was referring to Irvine, I guess that proves my theory wrong. I suppose Bakersfield is my next guess, then. (I have seen San Diego guessed quite a few times so I'm assuming that's not correct)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #5897
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphorescent Button View Post
I don't dispute that fact, but to me Perry Ferrell's voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard...or someone being castrated...it's a close second.
Second!

Back to Tool... I'm just really hoping that the week between AWP and Lollapalooza will bring us a "northeastern" date. If the Boston rumor turns out to be true, that's a 9 hour round trip I will gladly embark on for Tool if only to avoid Jersey City.

Last edited by Dassarri; 05-21-2009 at 05:06 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #5898
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Well Blair updated some on-sale dates, but didn't alter the Atlanta show information yet. Atlanta tix go onsale June 6th and Charlotte May 29th.

Also...some of you are making me regret deciding against seeing NINJa next month in Charlotte. I may have to reconsider after looking over some of NIN's setlists...plus lawn seats are only 20 bucks w/ no fees.

Last edited by dr funkmaster; 05-21-2009 at 05:58 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #5899
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

TOOLS COMING TO FAIRFAX!!!
i'm so excited and i had to tell my tool buddies (who don't know me and don't care)
that i get to see tool again! AHHH, it has been to long.
I'll see you guys July 30th dancing in a crowd before the four magic men
of our generation
Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #5900
On Probation

Bincount™: 55

k guys im going to try and get san antonio tickets im hoping it wont be as hard as last time cause theirs more than 1 going on sale that day im also going to try being on the phone and on the net at the same time any other tips?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #5901
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

with the off the beaten track thing...gotta wonder if it's at an actual track...maybe irwindale speedway or perris or ventura (which has had warped tour before) or the forum makes sense as it's next to hollywood park which is quite beat down compared to del mar or santa anita.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #5902
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantkeepmeaway View Post
k guys im going to try and get san antonio tickets im hoping it wont be as hard as last time cause theirs more than 1 going on sale that day im also going to try being on the phone and on the net at the same time any other tips?
The AT&T is HUGE. Shouldn't be a problem getting seats, even good ones. Just be sure to set up your Ticketmaster Account ahead of time and use a high-speed (broadband) connection.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #5903
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Nevermind, I'm retarded. I thought that venue was wayyyyyyy bigger than what it actually is. Just looked it up, I don't think it holds even 1k, so I'm gonna go ahead and say they won't be heading to pomona any time soon haha.
It's definitely not at the Glass House, although they did play there in 1996 (first show of the Aenima tour). I don't remember much about that show, except that we didn't take in ANY production and just used what was there (which wasn't much).
With the capacity of that place it would be a very "exclusive" engagement, to say the least.
I would think they could probably do a whole week of shows in there, but I hope they don't.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #5904
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Since the above quote was referring to Irvine, I guess that proves my theory wrong. I suppose Bakersfield is my next guess, then. (I have seen San Diego guessed quite a few times so I'm assuming that's not correct)
Bakersfield does have a train track running right behind the arena, parallel with a 'street' that is named "Korn Row" (it's really more of a service road, or alleyway, that provides access to the loading dock and is only about 100-200 yards long). I'd like to see a street named "Crimson Court", but I digress...

Bakersfield isn't it, though.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #5905
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Bakersfield does have a train track running right behind the arena, parallel with a 'street' that is named "Korn Row" (it's really more of a service road, or alleyway, that provides access to the loading dock and is only about 100-200 yards long). I'd like to see a street named "Crimson Court", but I digress...

Bakersfield isn't it, though.
hahahaha god dammit junior! how could that not be it? thats a perfect fit for the description. but i believe you, i suppose. has to be san diego then. (even though it's not)
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #5906
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Anaheim!!! Anaheim!!! Anaheim!!!

There are railroad tracks behind the Honda Center!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #5907

The Honda Center is open on July 13 and 14, but booked solid for 2 weeks after that. I guess the 14th could work, then maybe an SF show, then on to Denver for the 18th.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #5908

I love it when Tool starts announcing tour dates... this place gets all sorts of exciting haha! I'm just glad I'm sitting here staring at my July 19th SLC tickets at the moment, not worrying if Tool is coming my way. Enjoy the intensity folks, and see you on the other side!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #5909

You guys need to just calm down and not worry about the Cali date. They are not going to do a U.S. Mini tour without a show in So.Cal. It will be the last date played and announced. Probably get a couple in the general area (vegas??) Kansas - Missouri area looks like it might miss out on this tour (still keeping my fingers crossed for a date in KC tho)
5-11-07__5-19-07__ 6-22-07__11-16-07__ 11-19-07__7-25-09__6-23-10__1-21-12__3-24-14__3-25-14__10-31-15__1-14-16__1-16-16__1-17-16__10-28-16__5-30-17__5-19-19__11-03-19__02-01-20__01-30-2022__03-10-2022__03-17-2022
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #5910
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

scratch that about pomona and ventura. the vetura county fairgrounds are right next to a track, though still maybe somewhat small for a tool show. but pomona is ridden with "tracks", and I just realized the host site of the LA county fairgrounds, which is HUGE. So I guess those are back as likely answers to what has now become a ridiculous riddle that is bothering the hell out of me haha. Honda Center and Home Depot Center I'd say could also work, just didn't think Tool has ever stopped in Anaheim or Carson in the past. But hell, what do I know
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #5911
Level 4 - Thinker

"A bankruptcy judge on Monday approved plans by the owner of the Santa Anita Park racetrack to auction off the storied venue in September.

Bids are due July 1 and the track is scheduled to go on the auction block on Sept. 8, said Brian S. Rosen, an attorney for Santa Anita owner Magna Entertainment Corp. who represented the company in a Delaware court.

MEC, the United States' largest race track owner, filed for Ch. 11 bankruptcy in March. The company is based in Canada."

Hmmm....the BEATEN TRACK? Being auctioned off? Bankruptcy? Sounds beaten to death to me. What's nearby in Pasadena? Hell yeah, TOOL at the Rose Bowl! Admit it JR...
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #5912

Junior, how bout either the newly renovated/opened Fox Theater in Pomona, Citizens Bank Arena in Ontario or Glen Helen Pavilion in Devore?

Pomona's close to that funny-car speedway and both Ontario and Devore are a stones through away from the speedway in Fontana.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 PM   #5913
Level 8 - Vociferous

As far as I know, the "LA area" show has been a pretty shaky possibility this whole time, which is the main reason Blair can't actually announce it (actually, I guess the whole "LA area" itself has been pretty shaky lately, when you think about it.)
I really can't say anything about it until it's for sure, and hopefully that will be soon if it's going to be at all.
As frustrating as all of this is to potential attendees, it's pretty frustrating to those of us who make our living doing these shows, too. I'd really like to know what I'm doing for a job this summer, but right now I don't know for sure when this starts and when it ends, so I can't take other work that starts or ends too close to this tour in the worry of an overlap. If I wait too long, I'll miss out on another tour that i might have been able to do had i known when this tour really starts and ends.
Since this tour has been rumored for quite awhile now I've turned down at least 2 tours that I wasn't sure might overlap. Turns out neither of them would have (as far as I know), so I could have been making money right now instead of sitting at home (not that that isn't fun...), but I chose to wait for this Tool thing to develop and have to live with that decision. Some other members of our crew decided not to wait and now they won't be around for the Tool shows. We lost 3/4 of my lighting crew to the Jonas Brothers, and they also got a couple other crew members. I can't really blame any of them. They had a solid offer for 8 months of work as opposed to a very vague "short run in July or August". A very similar situation arose when Danny hurt his arm in 2007. A lot of crew people took other work because we really had no idea when the tour might resume, if at all. A big difference this time is that it's been well over a year since the most recent Tool show, so some people had already committed to other organizations before this even came up.
But so it goes around here.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #5914
Level 8 - Vociferous

Pollstar.com has most of the (already) announced dates now.
They still list Atlanta as the 27th, but venue TBA.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #5915
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

yeah, thats pretty crazy, didnt quite realized it worked that way for you guys working on the tour. that's gotta suck. buy hey, tool show could sure as hell use you more than those damn jonas brothers, so selfishly im glad you stayed on board. definitely frustrating for all parties, but youre right, prolly much more aggravating for you and the other crew members. hopefully they get all the dates up soon, i think thats what we're all hoping for.

Last edited by DHarv35; 05-21-2009 at 10:33 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #5916
Level 8 - Vociferous

Yeah, in this line of work you are pretty much on your own. It doesn't work like most jobs. It's really an independent contractor situation. If you want healthcare, you gotta go get some yourself. There are no guarantees that you'll have income at any given time. If you keep hustling you'll keep busy. Sometimes it pays off and you don't have time to breathe, and other times you have next to no income for months at a time. Last year was pretty busy, but now I haven't had steady work in 5 months. I had a short term job lined up for January that then got moved to February, then March or April, then May and now it's been moved to August or September. I had some other work lined up for June that has now been moved to October or November. So now I sit and wait.
I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining too much. There are definitely some benefits to this line of work and the gamble side of it is a trade-off that you chose when you sign up for it. Anybody that thought it was going to be all Champagne and caviar gets a rude awakening, eventually. As long as you're not surprised by the downsides you can balance it all into a pretty unique line of work, and make a living.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #5917
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Yeah, in this line of work you are pretty much on your own. It doesn't work like most jobs. It's really an independent contractor situation. If you want healthcare, you gotta go get some yourself. There are no guarantees that you'll have income at any given time. If you keep hustling you'll keep busy. Sometimes it pays off and you don't have time to breathe, and other times you have next to no income for months at a time. Last year was pretty busy, but now I haven't had steady work in 5 months. I had a short term job lined up for January that then got moved to February, then March or April, then May and now it's been moved to August or September. I had some other work lined up for June that has now been moved to October or November. So now I sit and wait.
I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining too much. There are definitely some benefits to this line of work and the gamble side of it is a trade-off that you chose when you sign up for it. Anybody that thought it was going to be all Champagne and caviar gets a rude awakening, eventually. As long as you're not surprised by the downsides you can balance it all into a pretty unique line of work, and make a living.
Thanks for being in it for the creativity and art factor Junior :) As a creative writing major in college, I'm glad to see people sticking to what they love instead of busting it for bucks.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 AM   #5918
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Pollstar.com has most of the (already) announced dates now.
They still list Atlanta as the 27th, but venue TBA.
So, it may be that they are trying to change the venue, and not the date...

I wonder if a 7/28 show is already in the works elsewhere?
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2009, 05:17 AM   #5919
jwb
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner701 View Post
So, it may be that they are trying to change the venue, and not the date...

I wonder if a 7/28 show is already in the works elsewhere?
Hope they don't move it to Lakewood. Read some reviews of that place and apparently the sound sucks underneath the canopy, and it's worse out in the lawn.
OFFLINE |  
Old 05-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #5920
Disgruntled Postal Worker

Bincount™: 176

Does anyone know why Tool is touring right now?

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: