Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Wild_Lion_
04-03-2007, 12:58 AM

I think the dude dreamt it all seeing as he is in his bed.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
God damn, shit the bed!

OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Esurient4Truth's Avatar Esurient4Truth
04-03-2007, 04:49 AM

Think of it this way:

If you take a literal definition of this song, which is an alien abduction, wouldn't you be a little freaked out if you suddenly floating off the ground, only to fly into a donut shaped saucer, then only to be greeted by freaky aliens?

I'd damn near shit my pants.

It's like when you wake from a nightmare. The shock allows you to spring up from your slumber in a sweat, often followed by heavy breathing and a clutching from the chest.

I think this phrase emphasizes the shock that this event actually happened.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
Last stop on the West Coast line.

Bincount™: 7282
Re: God damn, shit the bed!

Think of it this way:

If you take a literal definition of this song, which is an alien abduction, wouldn't you be a little freaked out if you suddenly floating off the ground, only to fly into a donut shaped saucer, then only to be greeted by freaky aliens?

It's like when you wake from a nightmare. The shock allows you to spring up from your slumber in a sweat, often followed by heavy breathing and a clutching from the chest.

04-03-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Think of it this way:

Shit the bed: An expression of disappointment; To screw up severely; To break down irrepairably. To defecate whilst sleeping.

It's one of those.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Think of it this way:

Shit the bed: An expression of disappointment; To screw up severely; To break down irrepairably. To defecate whilst sleeping.

It's one of those.
thezeusanator
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM

THis is how I always pictured it...He's in the hospital strapped to a bed, recalling the expeirience, out of his head so they strapped him to the bed. I think the line is just there to give you a frame of reference to where he is, remember he is talking to the doctor at his point, still tripping, and when you are under the influence of hallucinegens sometimes your bowls move without intention, at least in my experience, some tribes take such drugs as a ritual clensing, but that just what I think.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 84

THis is how I always pictured it...He's in the hospital strapped to a bed, recalling the expeirience, out of his head so they strapped him to the bed. I think the line is just there to give you a frame of reference to where he is, remember he is talking to the doctor at his point, still tripping, and when you are under the influence of hallucinegens sometimes your bowls move without intention, at least in my experience, some tribes take such drugs as a ritual clensing, but that just what I think.
hobblegobble's Avatar hobblegobble
04-03-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Lion_ View Post
Yep...a dream...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Lion_ View Post
Yep...a dream...
paraflux
04-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty50fs View Post

It's one of those.
Or all of those? They all fit, and work together, in this song.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty50fs View Post

It's one of those.
bucketbot1620's Avatar bucketbot1620
04-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Ahh but he says "shit the bed again" at one point. This makes me think that it happens more than just the one time outside Area 51. Most people don't take beds with them when they are camping. Unless of course he has shat the hospital bed more than once.

Last edited by bucketbot1620; 04-03-2007 at 03:52 PM..
Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Ahh but he says "shit the bed again" at one point. This makes me think that it happens more than just the one time outside Area 51. Most people don't take beds with them when they are camping. Unless of course he has shat the hospital bed more than once.

Last edited by bucketbot1620; 04-03-2007 at 03:52 PM..
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezuesanator View Post
truth
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezuesanator View Post
truth
04-03-2007, 04:25 PM

he is agonizing about the forgotten message,the one that rendered him "the chosen one"
Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #9

Bincount™: 43

he is agonizing about the forgotten message,the one that rendered him "the chosen one"
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
Yup, good point. It's cool how they work together actually.

While interpretting it as the actual act of defecating in a bed lends little to an understanding of the song, the raw imagery brought up by the word choice adds to the overall tone of the piece.

Maynard's great at utilizing ambiguity in that way.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux View Post
Yup, good point. It's cool how they work together actually.

While interpretting it as the actual act of defecating in a bed lends little to an understanding of the song, the raw imagery brought up by the word choice adds to the overall tone of the piece.

Maynard's great at utilizing ambiguity in that way.
waltz46n2's Avatar waltz46n2
04-08-2007, 07:30 AM

Wasn't the first time he shat the bed on the alien ship....perhaps after the fetal spooning or anal probing...maybe it was an enima or something like like.

either way the phrase really adds a lot to the song. Very creative of Maynard to use such a crude phrase so artistically.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Wasn't the first time he shat the bed on the alien ship....perhaps after the fetal spooning or anal probing...maybe it was an enima or something like like.

either way the phrase really adds a lot to the song. Very creative of Maynard to use such a crude phrase so artistically.
04-08-2007, 10:05 AM

umm
i think it might be referring to how people strapped up in bed at a mental hospitals have to "shit the bed"
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Banned.

Bincount™: 272

umm
i think it might be referring to how people strapped up in bed at a mental hospitals have to "shit the bed"
nabiliofadilio's Avatar nabiliofadilio
04-08-2007, 10:16 AM

he "shit the bed" cuz he forgot his pen and can't write what he is supposed to tel everybody. this goes along well with his tortured screams. he dissapointed in himself
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

he "shit the bed" cuz he forgot his pen and can't write what he is supposed to tel everybody. this goes along well with his tortured screams. he dissapointed in himself
04-08-2007, 11:55 AM

Its still Dmt reference.

People who experience 5-MeoDmt sometimes feel like theyve died.
and when you die. you'll shit your pants. cuz your relaxing the ass.
"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1759

Its still Dmt reference.

"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law? - like some hand of god hovering above... At least it is true, that man has no control even over his own will."
04-08-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apachana View Post
Its still Dmt reference.

better put, you no longer have control over any muscular movements, including bowel movements. everything just lets go...

shit
now I have to go excuse me.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apachana View Post
Its still Dmt reference.

better put, you no longer have control over any muscular movements, including bowel movements. everything just lets go...

shit
now I have to go excuse me.
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltz46n2 View Post

...or perhaps he just meatn in one simple way and you people that are totally overanalyzing it have thought of 20 different things it could POSSIBLY mean
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

...or perhaps he just meatn in one simple way and you people that are totally overanalyzing it have thought of 20 different things it could POSSIBLY mean
04-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
What are you gripping at me for i never said it had more than 1 meaning..
I think it means he shit the bed as in the same kind of crap that comes from you....
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I think it means he shit the bed as in the same kind of crap that comes from you....
04-15-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
"either way the phrase really adds a lot to the song. Very creative of Maynard to use such a crude phrase so artistically"

Just saying by the way you worded it, sounded like you were putting so much meaning behind the phrase "shit the bed"....it is what it is. I don't find that phrase to be "very creative"
Old 04-15-2007, 07:49 AM   #18
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
"either way the phrase really adds a lot to the song. Very creative of Maynard to use such a crude phrase so artistically"

Just saying by the way you worded it, sounded like you were putting so much meaning behind the phrase "shit the bed"....it is what it is. I don't find that phrase to be "very creative"
04-15-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:

How many other songs have you heard with the phrase "God Damn Shit the bed"
I am just saying it is cool how he words it into the song.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:

How many other songs have you heard with the phrase "God Damn Shit the bed"
I am just saying it is cool how he words it into the song.
04-18-2007, 01:48 PM

He's in the hospital bed while he's recounting the beginning of his experience and shits the bed right there, while strapped down.
Yes drinking a DMT beverage acts as a purgative.
There are deeper implications to the phrase, but it's also VERY literal.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #20

He's in the hospital bed while he's recounting the beginning of his experience and shits the bed right there, while strapped down.
Yes drinking a DMT beverage acts as a purgative.
There are deeper implications to the phrase, but it's also VERY literal.
timjames111's Avatar timjames111
04-18-2007, 04:56 PM

"{They} took me by the hand and invited me right in. Then {they} showed me something, I don't even know where to begin."

I ate some mushrooms once with my buddy while we were camping, and once they kicked in he used the references "they" and "they are" , like there was a living breathing outside force "pushing on his chest" and "turning up the volume" and "hittin the dimmer switch again" Anyways, This was a fun game for us if you wish to try. It's amazing how words in or out of context can be placed in ways to stimulate mind blowing visual events and feelings.

Maynard's one clever bed shitter.

Go mushrooms:)
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

"{They} took me by the hand and invited me right in. Then {they} showed me something, I don't even know where to begin."

I ate some mushrooms once with my buddy while we were camping, and once they kicked in he used the references "they" and "they are" , like there was a living breathing outside force "pushing on his chest" and "turning up the volume" and "hittin the dimmer switch again" Anyways, This was a fun game for us if you wish to try. It's amazing how words in or out of context can be placed in ways to stimulate mind blowing visual events and feelings.

Maynard's one clever bed shitter.

Go mushrooms:)
Acid0.1
04-27-2007, 03:03 AM

"God dam shit the bed" Its very cool indeed how he words this
in and out of the song.
Also it's cool at how he makes a big deal about such a simple thing
as forgetting his pen. But this probably also has some deeper meaning.

Otherwise the person in discussion took Acid and hullcinated the whole thing. Seems like that to me anyway.

Then again Maynard usually has weird as meanings to his songs.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:03 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

"God dam shit the bed" Its very cool indeed how he words this
in and out of the song.
Also it's cool at how he makes a big deal about such a simple thing
as forgetting his pen. But this probably also has some deeper meaning.

Otherwise the person in discussion took Acid and hullcinated the whole thing. Seems like that to me anyway.

Then again Maynard usually has weird as meanings to his songs.
Eulogy33's Avatar Eulogy33
05-30-2007, 10:10 AM

man, i LOVED this song live. At the Ft Worth concert Maynard was just rambling on really fast in the beginning of the song and it was cracking me up the whole time.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13

man, i LOVED this song live. At the Ft Worth concert Maynard was just rambling on really fast in the beginning of the song and it was cracking me up the whole time.
06-03-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy33 View Post
I agree, this song was excellent live...maynard on the squawk box, how can you sing that fast and the rest of the boys playing as well as ever. Great song live, i would have liked hearing Danny and Justin do their doc/nurse bit that would have been pretty funny...
Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy33 View Post
I agree, this song was excellent live...maynard on the squawk box, how can you sing that fast and the rest of the boys playing as well as ever. Great song live, i would have liked hearing Danny and Justin do their doc/nurse bit that would have been pretty funny...
06-06-2007, 11:03 AM

man you can't imagine how I want to see this band live
some day :)
god damn shit the bed again
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

man you can't imagine how I want to see this band live
some day :)
god damn shit the bed again
06-12-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by author of bible View Post
I think you're on the "most right" track....he's agonizing over the fact that he was entrusted(whether it's real doesn't matter at this point)with a very important task and everything starts to fall apart from the beginning...i.e. he forgot his pen...what's a guy in his position supposed to do...even if he had a pen...could he perform his task. I think his "shitting the bed" has alot more to do with his own personal shortcomings...and maybe the fact that he should've been prepared for whatever may happen...instead of doing whatever he was doing when he was supposed to be in school. It's a good lesson...don't sit on your laurels when you could and probably should be preparing for the future...whatever it holds.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by author of bible View Post
I think you're on the "most right" track....he's agonizing over the fact that he was entrusted(whether it's real doesn't matter at this point)with a very important task and everything starts to fall apart from the beginning...i.e. he forgot his pen...what's a guy in his position supposed to do...even if he had a pen...could he perform his task. I think his "shitting the bed" has alot more to do with his own personal shortcomings...and maybe the fact that he should've been prepared for whatever may happen...instead of doing whatever he was doing when he was supposed to be in school. It's a good lesson...don't sit on your laurels when you could and probably should be preparing for the future...whatever it holds.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
06-13-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaz View Post
Interesting you mention this point about the subject "shoulda' been in school" and the fact that the very next track has the reverse subliminal message in it "listen to your mother, your father was right, stay in school". I don't think that's word for word accurate as I don't remember exactly but you get the idea. Coincidence?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #27
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaz View Post
Interesting you mention this point about the subject "shoulda' been in school" and the fact that the very next track has the reverse subliminal message in it "listen to your mother, your father was right, stay in school". I don't think that's word for word accurate as I don't remember exactly but you get the idea. Coincidence?
06-20-2007, 09:36 PM

I know some people use the expression "shit the bed" for not being able to sleep.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #28
there's a cloud
but the water remains calm

Bincount™: 3180

I know some people use the expression "shit the bed" for not being able to sleep.
06-21-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalgirl View Post
Well that's just silly
Old 06-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #29
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Well that's just silly
06-21-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
haha if that were the case i'd never have clean sheets.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 117

Quote:
haha if that were the case i'd never have clean sheets.
06-21-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Well that's just silly
silly but true...a lot of old timers use it
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #31
there's a cloud
but the water remains calm

Bincount™: 3180

Quote:
Well that's just silly
silly but true...a lot of old timers use it
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM

lol at having a whole thread devoted to such a silly line.
"Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-Bruce Lee
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #32
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 5441

lol at having a whole thread devoted to such a silly line.
"Truth has no path. Truth is living and, therefore, changing. Awareness is without choice, without demand, without anxiety; in that state of mind, there is perception. To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person. Awareness has no frontier; it is giving of your whole being, without exclusion."
-Bruce Lee
Baking Soda
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Well he says he strapped down to his bed.

Feet cold [and] eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive? Am I dead?
Can't remember what they said
God damn, shit the bed.

Since he's strapped down he can't move and he shit the bed, but why he says shit the bed is funny cause he listing everything off: feet cold eyes red etc... and hes like oh great just one more thing i'm sitting in my own shit.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Feet cold [and] eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive? Am I dead?
God damn, shit the bed.

Since he's strapped down he can't move and he shit the bed, but why he says shit the bed is funny cause he listing everything off: feet cold eyes red etc... and hes like oh great just one more thing i'm sitting in my own shit.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Soda View Post

Feet cold [and] eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive? Am I dead?
God damn, shit the bed.

This doesn't make sense....you can still shit yourself strapped down to a bed or not.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Soda View Post

Feet cold [and] eyes red
I'm out of my head
Am I alive? Am I dead?
God damn, shit the bed.

This doesn't make sense....you can still shit yourself strapped down to a bed or not.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply