Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
MORNING_GLORY
06-30-2006, 01:20 PM

I'm not sure if this bothers anyone else, but the art on the cover of the cd case called Net of Being isn't balanced. The nose seems to be closer to the left side than the the middle, and usually Alex Grey's work is very symmetrical and balanced. Does this have a significance?
I was thinking along the lines of left-brain right-brain. The diamond-shaped thing seems to be leaning closer to the Being's right side or right-brain, which would be the more emotional/intuitive side, rather than the left-brained logical/analytical side. Maybe because this album is more emotional and less thinking than the last...

...my only other theory would be that theres something else within the artwork, maybe something we haven't noticed before, perhaps a word or a symbol.

I"m not sure, but you guys give it a look-see and let me know what you think.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Net of Being

I'm not sure if this bothers anyone else, but the art on the cover of the cd case called Net of Being isn't balanced. The nose seems to be closer to the left side than the the middle, and usually Alex Grey's work is very symmetrical and balanced. Does this have a significance?
I was thinking along the lines of left-brain right-brain. The diamond-shaped thing seems to be leaning closer to the Being's right side or right-brain, which would be the more emotional/intuitive side, rather than the left-brained logical/analytical side. Maybe because this album is more emotional and less thinking than the last...

...my only other theory would be that theres something else within the artwork, maybe something we haven't noticed before, perhaps a word or a symbol.

I"m not sure, but you guys give it a look-see and let me know what you think.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
paraflux
06-30-2006, 01:23 PM

It's definitely a dead version of the original painting.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: Net of Being

It's definitely a dead version of the original painting.
implandnoises's Avatar implandnoises
06-30-2006, 07:30 PM

Take a look at the original (apparently unfinished) painting as represented on the last page before the CD pocket. In this you can see two complete heads in the foreground - the one on the left being the one used for the cover. The centre of this image is the space between these two heads, looking infinitely into the distance. Alex, being the expert that he is, has made sure that the angles created by this central perpective are correct according to the viewer's imagened position. So, while the head on the left appears to be looking to its right, this is only in relation to the viewer who is to the head's left (and the opposite is true for the head on the right).

You might be saying at this point, "yes, I know that, but that doesn't explain why the diamond should lean to his right". Well, that is because the "crown", shall we call it that? The crown gets wider as it gets taller, which means the diamond is leaning forward slightly. And, if you look at something which is leaning forward(toward you) with your position being slightly left and in front of it, then it will appear to lean to its right (your left) in a two-dimensional image.

I hope that helps. If you are confused by my wordy explaination, just look at the original image and think about perpectives, angles and look at the detail of the other heads in the image.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Take a look at the original (apparently unfinished) painting as represented on the last page before the CD pocket. In this you can see two complete heads in the foreground - the one on the left being the one used for the cover. The centre of this image is the space between these two heads, looking infinitely into the distance. Alex, being the expert that he is, has made sure that the angles created by this central perpective are correct according to the viewer's imagened position. So, while the head on the left appears to be looking to its right, this is only in relation to the viewer who is to the head's left (and the opposite is true for the head on the right).

You might be saying at this point, "yes, I know that, but that doesn't explain why the diamond should lean to his right". Well, that is because the "crown", shall we call it that? The crown gets wider as it gets taller, which means the diamond is leaning forward slightly. And, if you look at something which is leaning forward(toward you) with your position being slightly left and in front of it, then it will appear to lean to its right (your left) in a two-dimensional image.

I hope that helps. If you are confused by my wordy explaination, just look at the original image and think about perpectives, angles and look at the detail of the other heads in the image.
lemonwater's Avatar lemonwater
06-30-2006, 11:12 PM

thay kind of remind me of the aliens from independence day
and are thos universes or the weather symbol for a hurricane

Last edited by lemonwater; 06-30-2006 at 11:17 PM..
Old 06-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Last edited by lemonwater; 06-30-2006 at 11:17 PM..
chaos_one666
07-05-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonwater

i just assumed they were swirling toilet water.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonwater

i just assumed they were swirling toilet water.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
07-05-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY
. The nose seems to be closer to the left side than the the middle,
well, duh
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

Quote: