Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Artwork
User Name
Password
jack_flash's Avatar jack_flash
07-09-2006, 03:34 AM

So to create a stereoscopic image, the two combining pictures have to have minor differences for the illusion to work right? This can be a simple perception change or moving a couple of objects around (I don't know the science behind it, this is just what I've picked up from reading here). For instance the raven, crow, whatever in Justin's pic is hidden behind the curtain less so in one picture and more so in the other.
Where am I going with this? Well when you look at the bird through the glasses you always see the image that shows more of the raven. The glasses show more detail. This holds true for every object that I've found that is in a different position between the two images; the view that reveals more is always shown when looking through the glasses.

I know this is almost definitely looking into things too much so I was just wondering if anyone could explain the science behind this. Cheers.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #1
red right hand (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 414
Glasses Reveal...

So to create a stereoscopic image, the two combining pictures have to have minor differences for the illusion to work right? This can be a simple perception change or moving a couple of objects around (I don't know the science behind it, this is just what I've picked up from reading here). For instance the raven, crow, whatever in Justin's pic is hidden behind the curtain less so in one picture and more so in the other.
Where am I going with this? Well when you look at the bird through the glasses you always see the image that shows more of the raven. The glasses show more detail. This holds true for every object that I've found that is in a different position between the two images; the view that reveals more is always shown when looking through the glasses.

I know this is almost definitely looking into things too much so I was just wondering if anyone could explain the science behind this. Cheers.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Shepherdsam
07-10-2006, 04:54 AM

The pictures are taken from two different angles, just like your eyes would see the scene naturally. Look at something that's in front of you right now, cover one eye while looking at it, now uncover that eye and cover the other. That's the same slight difference you see in the pictures.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Glasses Reveal...

The pictures are taken from two different angles, just like your eyes would see the scene naturally. Look at something that's in front of you right now, cover one eye while looking at it, now uncover that eye and cover the other. That's the same slight difference you see in the pictures.
jack_flash's Avatar jack_flash
07-11-2006, 06:03 AM

Ahh silly me. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #3
red right hand (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 414

Ahh silly me. Thanks.
07-11-2006, 09:21 AM

Not at all, you're welcome.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Not at all, you're welcome.
StereoScopicLenses's Avatar StereoScopicLenses
07-11-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherdsam
yeah he's right. i think it is called parallax effect. It is the same way astronomers measure the distance of some stars in the universe.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherdsam
yeah he's right. i think it is called parallax effect. It is the same way astronomers measure the distance of some stars in the universe.
07-11-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
lol, it's ok...he's canadian
Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoScopicLenses
lol, it's ok...he's canadian

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply