Bincount™: 3472
Re: Production problems/distortion/white noise

Ban.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
theprosperone
05-23-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
. Fuck, _MY_ recordings sound better than this.

Yea I doubt it.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #242
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Re: White noise. Distortion.

Quote:
. Fuck, _MY_ recordings sound better than this.

Yea I doubt it.
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone
Yea I doubt it.
MOTU 828 mk11 96khz/24 bit audio interface, direct line from 4 synthesizers. That's a big reason why there is no white noise, no mics. But again... I can level it out so there's no clipping, and this is in my room. My humble home studio. What's Joe's excuse?
Old 05-23-2006, 03:45 PM   #243
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprosperone
Yea I doubt it.
MOTU 828 mk11 96khz/24 bit audio interface, direct line from 4 synthesizers. That's a big reason why there is no white noise, no mics. But again... I can level it out so there's no clipping, and this is in my room. My humble home studio. What's Joe's excuse?
transfiguration
05-23-2006, 09:06 PM

Good to see that people still care enough to carry on this conversation.

Once again, for any of you who think its deserving of concern and begs an answer I encourage you to post your thoughts in this thread...

Distortion on new Tool album

I can promise you that IF that thread gets as long as this one...7 freakin' pages that Joe Barresi..that guy that tracked & mixed 10,000 Days will make an appearance and offer a few words concerning this 'distortion' that some of you have picked up on.

My vote is that it is from one of two scenarios....

Purposefully chosen aesthetic coupled with mastering forced to participate in the loudness wars.

or....

a few pressings that got shitty...

REGISTER and POST IN THIS THREAD and detail what your hearing, what tracks your hearing it in, and the track times associated with whatever anamolies your hearing.

Last edited by transfiguration; 05-23-2006 at 10:14 PM..
Old 05-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #244
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0

Good to see that people still care enough to carry on this conversation.

Once again, for any of you who think its deserving of concern and begs an answer I encourage you to post your thoughts in this thread...

Distortion on new Tool album

I can promise you that IF that thread gets as long as this one...7 freakin' pages that Joe Barresi..that guy that tracked & mixed 10,000 Days will make an appearance and offer a few words concerning this 'distortion' that some of you have picked up on.

My vote is that it is from one of two scenarios....

Purposefully chosen aesthetic coupled with mastering forced to participate in the loudness wars.

or....

a few pressings that got shitty...

REGISTER and POST IN THIS THREAD and detail what your hearing, what tracks your hearing it in, and the track times associated with whatever anamolies your hearing.

Last edited by transfiguration; 05-23-2006 at 10:14 PM..
Noumenon's Avatar Noumenon
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
I personally hate string scrapes from the bass. Bass players should only play perfect notes with no excess noise from the strings. JC might thing its cool, but I think it's white noise to me! In fact, I'm noticing this keyboard is making white noise as I type this! Why aren't there silent keyboards!??!?!?!
Quote:
yeah, we should string up DC and beat him for stupid drum rolls that crack.
Dude, like I said before, with comments like these you're only making a fool of yourself in this thread. People that have commented here know what clipping and white noise are. You, obviously, do NOT. It has nothing to do with JC's and DC's performances.

Seriously, do you really think DC himself causes the clipping, or are you having a laugh?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #245
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I personally hate string scrapes from the bass. Bass players should only play perfect notes with no excess noise from the strings. JC might thing its cool, but I think it's white noise to me! In fact, I'm noticing this keyboard is making white noise as I type this! Why aren't there silent keyboards!??!?!?!
Quote:
yeah, we should string up DC and beat him for stupid drum rolls that crack.
Dude, like I said before, with comments like these you're only making a fool of yourself in this thread. People that have commented here know what clipping and white noise are. You, obviously, do NOT. It has nothing to do with JC's and DC's performances.

Seriously, do you really think DC himself causes the clipping, or are you having a laugh?
apathetic goat's Avatar apathetic goat
05-24-2006, 12:01 AM

Exegesis, you make me sad.

I agree with Noumenon on, well, everything.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #246
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Exegesis, you make me sad.

I agree with Noumenon on, well, everything.
xlc210
05-24-2006, 07:51 AM

Honestly, I can hear the white noise, but it is no different from the noises that you can hear on Lateralus. On Parabol, when the bass track comes in, there is white noise all over that track. Whether it is from compression, or just noise from the 500 pedals Justin uses.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:51 AM   #247
Level 4 - Thinker

Honestly, I can hear the white noise, but it is no different from the noises that you can hear on Lateralus. On Parabol, when the bass track comes in, there is white noise all over that track. Whether it is from compression, or just noise from the 500 pedals Justin uses.
05-24-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc210
Listen to Right In Two for a little bit, then listen to Parabol. Huge difference.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #248
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlc210
Listen to Right In Two for a little bit, then listen to Parabol. Huge difference.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Uh huh, and you've added so much value to this thread with your comment to ME. When will you learn not to take the bait, boy?

My opinion was that anything extra noise (white noise) is there on purpose, and fits with the theme/songs of the album. Sitting around complaining about it and whining to a messageboard is sad. Like I said, anybody that has a problem with "white noise" should go spend their cash on a studio and see what great wonders THEY can come up with. I'd LOVE to hear it. NUFF SAID.
I agree to stay on track on the thread issue; I guess my more specific question was why do you always get personal on your comments? You always end them up with something like, "When will you learn not to take the bait, boy?" or, "Or, in your collective cases, the heads UP your asses!" or, "get over yourself. that's my advice.", and the list could go on...

I was just so impressed by your part in the ALBUM FLOW thread that I wanted to see what new stuff you had come up with. But I guess it's the same old, same old.

Cheers, laddie.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #249
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Uh huh, and you've added so much value to this thread with your comment to ME. When will you learn not to take the bait, boy?

My opinion was that anything extra noise (white noise) is there on purpose, and fits with the theme/songs of the album. Sitting around complaining about it and whining to a messageboard is sad. Like I said, anybody that has a problem with "white noise" should go spend their cash on a studio and see what great wonders THEY can come up with. I'd LOVE to hear it. NUFF SAID.
I agree to stay on track on the thread issue; I guess my more specific question was why do you always get personal on your comments? You always end them up with something like, "When will you learn not to take the bait, boy?" or, "Or, in your collective cases, the heads UP your asses!" or, "get over yourself. that's my advice.", and the list could go on...

I was just so impressed by your part in the ALBUM FLOW thread that I wanted to see what new stuff you had come up with. But I guess it's the same old, same old.

Cheers, laddie.
transfiguration
05-25-2006, 07:43 PM

Not that important, huh?

okey dokey
Old 05-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #250
Level 2 - Poster

Not that important, huh?

okey dokey
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-28-2006, 04:12 PM

So I listened to "Lateralus" for the first time in a few months and I really liked how the clean guitar intro builds up and then it just explodes with the main guitar riff and actually gets louder when it gets heavier. 10,000 Days, as much as I like it, is missing this factor. "Wings For Marie"/"10,000 Days" might have been even more epic if they had this type of dynamics to it. When Maynard sings "Give me my wings", it builds up so much but then when it gets to the "heavy" part right after it, it doesn't feel loud enough, it feels a bit held back if you know what I mean.

Last edited by mike09; 05-28-2006 at 04:21 PM..
Old 05-28-2006, 04:12 PM   #251
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

So I listened to "Lateralus" for the first time in a few months and I really liked how the clean guitar intro builds up and then it just explodes with the main guitar riff and actually gets louder when it gets heavier. 10,000 Days, as much as I like it, is missing this factor. "Wings For Marie"/"10,000 Days" might have been even more epic if they had this type of dynamics to it. When Maynard sings "Give me my wings", it builds up so much but then when it gets to the "heavy" part right after it, it doesn't feel loud enough, it feels a bit held back if you know what I mean.

Last edited by mike09; 05-28-2006 at 04:21 PM..
05-28-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
I feel the 'held back' part is what makes the song great.
Yeah, I like blue balls too.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #252
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Yeah, I like blue balls too.
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-29-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I know we all have opinions, but I don't know how you could possibly not feel that that part should be louder. It builds to a climax but never actually gets there. The build-up and then climax is what Tool has always done fantastically. It's no different musically on this album, except the climaxes aren't loud enough so it's dissapointing. It's kinda' like when you know you have to sneeze and you are about to, but then you just can't and you get that strong sense of dissapointment.

Last edited by mike09; 05-29-2006 at 04:29 AM..
Old 05-29-2006, 04:26 AM   #253
Banned.

Quote:
Honestly, I know we all have opinions, but I don't know how you could possibly not feel that that part should be louder. It builds to a climax but never actually gets there. The build-up and then climax is what Tool has always done fantastically. It's no different musically on this album, except the climaxes aren't loud enough so it's dissapointing. It's kinda' like when you know you have to sneeze and you are about to, but then you just can't and you get that strong sense of dissapointment.

Last edited by mike09; 05-29-2006 at 04:29 AM..
AloneOnceAgain97's Avatar AloneOnceAgain97
05-29-2006, 06:35 AM

It's not a matter of bad batches, I don't think. People who can't hear it just don't know what they're listening for. If I'm not actively listening for it, it doesn't bother me really, but when I am, it's pretty obvious.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:35 AM   #254
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

It's not a matter of bad batches, I don't think. People who can't hear it just don't know what they're listening for. If I'm not actively listening for it, it doesn't bother me really, but when I am, it's pretty obvious.
05-29-2006, 07:46 AM

the only thing that I notice everytime is obviously the lack of "punch" that some of the songs have because of the lack of dynamics.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #255
Banned.

the only thing that I notice everytime is obviously the lack of "punch" that some of the songs have because of the lack of dynamics.
05-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
lol, that was funny. :)

But when you have sex and at first you 'held back' and then continue to the climax (Right in Two) the climax is even better. Long sex...urr..listening....
I think Right In Two is dog shit.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #256
amateur alchemist

Quote:
lol, that was funny. :)

But when you have sex and at first you 'held back' and then continue to the climax (Right in Two) the climax is even better. Long sex...urr..listening....
I think Right In Two is dog shit.
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-29-2006, 08:43 AM

What an intelligent formulated remark. Your parents must be so proud of you.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:43 AM   #257
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

05-29-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
read: My opinion is different from yours.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #258
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volrath
Volrath's Avatar Volrath
05-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Well duh.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #259
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2641

Quote:
Well duh.
05-29-2006, 11:39 AM

More worthless comments.... can we bin this thread yet?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #260
amateur alchemist

More worthless comments.... can we bin this thread yet?
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-29-2006, 11:51 AM

Why would you want to bin a thread that you started and that actually is interesting to read?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #261
Banned.

Why would you want to bin a thread that you started and that actually is interesting to read?
05-29-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
Well it WAS interesting, now it's boring and redundant. We still haven't heard anything from the band about all this so what's left than to bitch and complain? I just want to know if I can get a copy that doesn't sound like ass, or if they all sound like ass.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:57 AM   #262
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09
Well it WAS interesting, now it's boring and redundant. We still haven't heard anything from the band about all this so what's left than to bitch and complain? I just want to know if I can get a copy that doesn't sound like ass, or if they all sound like ass.
Amazonis's Avatar Amazonis
11-05-2006, 10:27 PM

I was too lazy to read ALL of this thread, so I hope this theory hasn't already being mentioned...

I know very little about sound and production, but I recently read a very long article about the way many CD's are produced these days. During the mastering process they use all the technology available to them to make the CD as loud as possible, mainly for the purpose of sounding good on the radio. However, when they increase the overall vollume the sound has nowhere to go during the LOUDEST moments. In other words the CD was already as loud as possible, and cannot get any louder.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #263
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I was too lazy to read ALL of this thread, so I hope this theory hasn't already being mentioned...

I know very little about sound and production, but I recently read a very long article about the way many CD's are produced these days. During the mastering process they use all the technology available to them to make the CD as loud as possible, mainly for the purpose of sounding good on the radio. However, when they increase the overall vollume the sound has nowhere to go during the LOUDEST moments. In other words the CD was already as loud as possible, and cannot get any louder.
Amazonis's Avatar Amazonis
11-05-2006, 10:30 PM

I know very little about sound and production, but I recently read a very long article about the way many CD's are produced these days. During the mastering process they use all the technology available to them to make the CD as loud as possible, mainly for the purpose of sounding good on the radio. However, when they increase the overall vollume the sound has nowhere to go during the LOUDEST moments. Therefore the sound has nowhere to go, and as a result becomes distorted.

This could be the problem with 10,000 Days. It sure is a loud CD.

Last edited by Amazonis; 11-05-2006 at 10:37 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #264
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I know very little about sound and production, but I recently read a very long article about the way many CD's are produced these days. During the mastering process they use all the technology available to them to make the CD as loud as possible, mainly for the purpose of sounding good on the radio. However, when they increase the overall vollume the sound has nowhere to go during the LOUDEST moments. Therefore the sound has nowhere to go, and as a result becomes distorted.

This could be the problem with 10,000 Days. It sure is a loud CD.

Last edited by Amazonis; 11-05-2006 at 10:37 PM..
hushypushy's Avatar hushypushy
11-06-2006, 10:48 PM

Yeah, you're talking about overcompressing something until the compressor can't handle it anymore. That didn't happen with this album, but good guess. It is very compressed (like every other album coming out these days) but not that compressed.

There are no production problems with this album, and this opinion I have is shared by many people with far better ears and far better knowledge of recording techniques than me. I even took it to Hydrogenaudio and everyone said this album was clean and free of distortion and clipping. And it wasn't a bunch of two bit jerkoffs like myself or the others who post here at TDN, there is a dude who devs ReplayGain saying there's no clipping. Even people who didn't agree with me were saying there's no distortion!

No production problems, no distortion, no clipping, and the white noise is not severe, it's minor and in the quiet parts. So if you hear it, the problem is on your side, not Tool's side. End of story. If I could, I'd invite everyone over here to make sure they're hearing the same thing I'm hearing. And maybe if you're in the city, that would be possible.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #265
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 3988

Yeah, you're talking about overcompressing something until the compressor can't handle it anymore. That didn't happen with this album, but good guess. It is very compressed (like every other album coming out these days) but not that compressed.

There are no production problems with this album, and this opinion I have is shared by many people with far better ears and far better knowledge of recording techniques than me. I even took it to Hydrogenaudio and everyone said this album was clean and free of distortion and clipping. And it wasn't a bunch of two bit jerkoffs like myself or the others who post here at TDN, there is a dude who devs ReplayGain saying there's no clipping. Even people who didn't agree with me were saying there's no distortion!

No production problems, no distortion, no clipping, and the white noise is not severe, it's minor and in the quiet parts. So if you hear it, the problem is on your side, not Tool's side. End of story. If I could, I'd invite everyone over here to make sure they're hearing the same thing I'm hearing. And maybe if you're in the city, that would be possible.
11-07-2006, 01:22 AM

It may be pointless to ask this here, but I'm here already so why not: a handful of peopel made refference to the reason why it sounds bad being due to it being an HDCD release. WHile I know this is obvious bunk because Lateralus sounds awesome (and i mean that in the traditional sense), i'm still a little confused: isn't 10KDays just a normal, redbook, CD? I haven't noticed the HDCD logo anywhere, or any other "enhanced" stickers; editionally, Joe makes a comment in the article about the recording gear that they still have the 24/96 masters lying around just in case there is demand for a SACD/DVD Audio release. (DVD audio, obviously, is the right choice here, but now i'm getting way off topic.) So... buh? Is there anything special done to this album like HDCD encoding, or is it just a normal album?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #266

It may be pointless to ask this here, but I'm here already so why not: a handful of peopel made refference to the reason why it sounds bad being due to it being an HDCD release. WHile I know this is obvious bunk because Lateralus sounds awesome (and i mean that in the traditional sense), i'm still a little confused: isn't 10KDays just a normal, redbook, CD? I haven't noticed the HDCD logo anywhere, or any other "enhanced" stickers; editionally, Joe makes a comment in the article about the recording gear that they still have the 24/96 masters lying around just in case there is demand for a SACD/DVD Audio release. (DVD audio, obviously, is the right choice here, but now i'm getting way off topic.) So... buh? Is there anything special done to this album like HDCD encoding, or is it just a normal album?
11-07-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance. View Post
Fuck, _MY_ recordings sound better than this.

Prove it.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #267
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Fuck, _MY_ recordings sound better than this.

Prove it.
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzblome View Post
Prove it.
Dec 22.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #268
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzblome View Post
Prove it.
Dec 22.
11-07-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
No production problems, no distortion, no clipping, and the white noise is not severe, it's minor and in the quiet parts. So if you hear it, the problem is on your side, not Tool's side. End of story.
I really want this to be the case but it's just not true. What you're saying here and what I hear with my own ears differs greatly. I have to trust my own hearing I guess... I'm assuming you've listened to the album with headphones, right?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #269
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
No production problems, no distortion, no clipping, and the white noise is not severe, it's minor and in the quiet parts. So if you hear it, the problem is on your side, not Tool's side. End of story.
I really want this to be the case but it's just not true. What you're saying here and what I hear with my own ears differs greatly. I have to trust my own hearing I guess... I'm assuming you've listened to the album with headphones, right?
11-07-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
Whoever told you this is an HDCD is full of shit. It's a normal CD. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason that it would sound bad because it's an HDCD. That just doesn't make any sense. HDCD is the same thing as a CD but 20 bits instead of 16. There is no way it would sound worse, they are actually imperceptibly different.

Quote:
Yep, Sennheiser HD555's. Through either my Creative Audigy, or through my Technics CD player and Denon amp.

I have the feeling that we are all hearing the same sound but interpreting it differently.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #270
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Whoever told you this is an HDCD is full of shit. It's a normal CD. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason that it would sound bad because it's an HDCD. That just doesn't make any sense. HDCD is the same thing as a CD but 20 bits instead of 16. There is no way it would sound worse, they are actually imperceptibly different.

Quote:
Yep, Sennheiser HD555's. Through either my Creative Audigy, or through my Technics CD player and Denon amp.

I have the feeling that we are all hearing the same sound but interpreting it differently.
12-23-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Dec 22.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:40 AM   #271
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Dec 22.
12-23-2006, 03:28 AM

That day's over......what happened?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:28 AM   #272
Level 11 - Clamorous

That day's over......what happened?
12-25-2006, 10:05 PM

The live Tool DVD got released. Secretly. I'm probably going to be shot for breaking the story on toolnavy. But that's the price I pay for being an industry insider.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #273

The live Tool DVD got released. Secretly. I'm probably going to be shot for breaking the story on toolnavy. But that's the price I pay for being an industry insider.
12-25-2006, 11:59 PM

LOL TALKING ABOUT FAKE LEAKS IS SO FUNNAY LOL
Old 12-25-2006, 11:59 PM   #274
Level 11 - Clamorous

LOL TALKING ABOUT FAKE LEAKS IS SO FUNNAY LOL
12-26-2006, 02:37 PM

It's funny when half the forum suddenly starts posting on this thread asking me for a bootleg copy. AN opportunity for comedy which you have just ruined, so thank you for that.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #275

It's funny when half the forum suddenly starts posting on this thread asking me for a bootleg copy. AN opportunity for comedy which you have just ruined, so thank you for that.
12-26-2006, 08:31 PM

A problem with headphones yes. I assume your all talking about the hissy hisses you hear throughout on the cd, a problem I can overlook? Yes, just get over it when your on the phones or dont listen until your near a good stereo take your pick. I know its annoying cause everyone likes to jam portably but seriously get over it. It is what it is.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #276
Banned.

A problem with headphones yes. I assume your all talking about the hissy hisses you hear throughout on the cd, a problem I can overlook? Yes, just get over it when your on the phones or dont listen until your near a good stereo take your pick. I know its annoying cause everyone likes to jam portably but seriously get over it. It is what it is.
12-26-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, because sooooooo many people would believe you. IF it was real, there would A LOT more mess than some random dude posting in a random thread (production problems WTF?). Look at the leak of NIN's Closure, that is a big deal, it even made it to Wikipedia for krissakes.

So if you want to prey on idiots, just stick to the recycle bin. You seriously thought that was funny? How old are you, 12?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #277
Level 11 - Clamorous

Quote:
Yeah, because sooooooo many people would believe you. IF it was real, there would A LOT more mess than some random dude posting in a random thread (production problems WTF?). Look at the leak of NIN's Closure, that is a big deal, it even made it to Wikipedia for krissakes.

So if you want to prey on idiots, just stick to the recycle bin. You seriously thought that was funny? How old are you, 12?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply