Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
VillageIdiot
05-18-2006, 08:05 PM

Some seriously popping and crackling at the end of 10,000 Days too... very annoying.

And this is on a set of midrange Logitech PC speakers... granted they're good PC speakers, but hardly Audiophile quality.

I try to ignore it in headphones. What's weird is that you'd think the Pot would be one of the most energetic songs on the album... and it's not so bad, until the bits with real intense toms. It must be the drums that are doing it...

The worst culprit I've ever come across is The Darkness' first album, Permission to Land- almost all the tracks had this sort of static/distortion. Musta squeezed all the volume out of it they could. :p
Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #161
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Problem: audiophiles, please read

Some seriously popping and crackling at the end of 10,000 Days too... very annoying.

And this is on a set of midrange Logitech PC speakers... granted they're good PC speakers, but hardly Audiophile quality.

I try to ignore it in headphones. What's weird is that you'd think the Pot would be one of the most energetic songs on the album... and it's not so bad, until the bits with real intense toms. It must be the drums that are doing it...

The worst culprit I've ever come across is The Darkness' first album, Permission to Land- almost all the tracks had this sort of static/distortion. Musta squeezed all the volume out of it they could. :p
05-18-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
notice that the only clipping occurs at the really high and really low ends? turn your lows and highs down! also, i like a little boost between 2.5kHz-4.5kHz, let maynard shine through a little more, but just a little boost. maybe 3dB....
The distortion is printed on the source material and has nothing to do with the audio exceeding the limitations of the DA-converters in your playback equipment. Turning down the highs and lows won't resolve anything - I know, I've tried.

Quote:
anyway, that is the reason tehre is clipping. to make the album sound bigger better fatter and more spacious, thats what they had to do. genious if you ask me.
The album could have sounded just as fat without this annoying distortion. I've heard fatter albums without this kind of distortion. Of course, pushing the compressors/maximizers will produce audible artifacts, but it won't sound like digital clipping unless you saturate their inputs (on digital units). The answer lies elsewhere.

Last edited by Zabulon; 05-18-2006 at 09:52 PM..
Old 05-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #162
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrip
notice that the only clipping occurs at the really high and really low ends? turn your lows and highs down! also, i like a little boost between 2.5kHz-4.5kHz, let maynard shine through a little more, but just a little boost. maybe 3dB....
The distortion is printed on the source material and has nothing to do with the audio exceeding the limitations of the DA-converters in your playback equipment. Turning down the highs and lows won't resolve anything - I know, I've tried.

Quote:
anyway, that is the reason tehre is clipping. to make the album sound bigger better fatter and more spacious, thats what they had to do. genious if you ask me.
The album could have sounded just as fat without this annoying distortion. I've heard fatter albums without this kind of distortion. Of course, pushing the compressors/maximizers will produce audible artifacts, but it won't sound like digital clipping unless you saturate their inputs (on digital units). The answer lies elsewhere.

Last edited by Zabulon; 05-18-2006 at 09:52 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
transfiguration
05-18-2006, 10:02 PM

If you people who are seriously having problems with this are interested in getting some answers from THE SOURCE..i.e., Joe Baressi...

consider posting your concerns at GEARSLUTZ

Either in the Hi-End Forum where this discussion happened where Joe posted a few comments:

Tool and Joe Barresi using high end gear on new record

Or in the 'So Much Gear, So Little Time" forum where Joe posted a comment in this thread:

New Tool Single

Start a new thread..maybe 'New Tool Album: concerns with audio quality'

I believe with enough discussion Mr. Barresi will make an appearance and address your concerns.

But

BUT

your going to have to be absolutely explicit in your descriptions of what exactly you find troubling...tracks...times...etc., etc.

I wish you the best of luck. I would start a thread myself there with a link to this thread but I'm quite certain Mr. Barresi isn't going to care to register with T.D.N. to address your concerns. He is however already a member of Gearslutz and posts every so often.

Peace

P.S. I do agree the audio quality has been compromised in relation to Bottrill's work. I do believe though that this is an alternatively chosen purposeful aesthetic that the band decided to run with...coupled with the post-production mastering "Loudness War" that is currently going on in audio today.

Seriously guyz REGISTER and post a thread asking about this.

Last edited by transfiguration; 05-19-2006 at 07:48 AM..
Old 05-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #163
Level 2 - Poster

If you people who are seriously having problems with this are interested in getting some answers from THE SOURCE..i.e., Joe Baressi...

consider posting your concerns at GEARSLUTZ

Either in the Hi-End Forum where this discussion happened where Joe posted a few comments:

Tool and Joe Barresi using high end gear on new record

Or in the 'So Much Gear, So Little Time" forum where Joe posted a comment in this thread:

New Tool Single

Start a new thread..maybe 'New Tool Album: concerns with audio quality'

I believe with enough discussion Mr. Barresi will make an appearance and address your concerns.

But

BUT

your going to have to be absolutely explicit in your descriptions of what exactly you find troubling...tracks...times...etc., etc.

I wish you the best of luck. I would start a thread myself there with a link to this thread but I'm quite certain Mr. Barresi isn't going to care to register with T.D.N. to address your concerns. He is however already a member of Gearslutz and posts every so often.

Peace

P.S. I do agree the audio quality has been compromised in relation to Bottrill's work. I do believe though that this is an alternatively chosen purposeful aesthetic that the band decided to run with...coupled with the post-production mastering "Loudness War" that is currently going on in audio today.

Last edited by transfiguration; 05-19-2006 at 07:48 AM..
sonnyboy11's Avatar sonnyboy11
05-18-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
yeah, I've been saying this all along. It's almost as though the band is trying to gauge who can really tell good music and who is just blindly following. Again, I'm talking to the people who call 10,000 days Tool's best work. It's insulting to the band.
WTF? Please tell me I am not reading this right- are you saying that Tool intentionally made a bad record just to test us? You're joking right? I mean, I'd hate to think there were fans as into this band as I am that are this willfully ignorant and full of shiat. So, I'll give you this one- I'm just misreading what you said, right?

Personally, 10,000 Days is turning into my favorite Tool CD. For those who don't think it is, that's cool. But the moment anyone comes at me with this elitist attitude like only they know what is Tool's best work, my naked white ass will be available for you to kiss till the end of time.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #164
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance.
yeah, I've been saying this all along. It's almost as though the band is trying to gauge who can really tell good music and who is just blindly following. Again, I'm talking to the people who call 10,000 days Tool's best work. It's insulting to the band.
WTF? Please tell me I am not reading this right- are you saying that Tool intentionally made a bad record just to test us? You're joking right? I mean, I'd hate to think there were fans as into this band as I am that are this willfully ignorant and full of shiat. So, I'll give you this one- I'm just misreading what you said, right?

Personally, 10,000 Days is turning into my favorite Tool CD. For those who don't think it is, that's cool. But the moment anyone comes at me with this elitist attitude like only they know what is Tool's best work, my naked white ass will be available for you to kiss till the end of time.
transfiguration
05-18-2006, 10:42 PM

repeat of post above...threads have been merged

got it

Last edited by transfiguration; 05-19-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Old 05-18-2006, 10:42 PM   #165
Level 2 - Poster

Re: White noise. Distortion.

repeat of post above...threads have been merged

got it

Last edited by transfiguration; 05-19-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Zabulon
05-18-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfiguration
Done.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:45 PM   #166
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfiguration
Done.
Noumenon's Avatar Noumenon
05-19-2006, 12:57 AM

I checked out this Gearslutz site and looked at what Evil Joe had said about the QOTSA record a year ago, and there's an interesting post there (by Joe himself, for clearness' sake):

ah clipping..............an artform these days. sometimes it comes from mastering in the attempt to make things as loud as a deaf A&R man can handle, sometimes it comes from mixing....levels way hot on tape or god forbid +12 in tools, and it distorts the input of the mixing desk. sometimes its the sheer amout of tracks all piling on one another to destroy the stereo bus, sometimes its the digital distortion no one seems to hear while they are recording, being amplified by lots of compression and eq later, sometimes its the shitting duplication at the pressing plant. there are so many things in the path. I don't know what happens. All I can say on a personal level is that any distortion I hear (unless its intentional) I try to get rid of. Sometimes its a result of my excess levels and compression, and I cant control it. sometimes its a matter of sacrificing punch by lowering all levels to just under the point of breakup and making up for it elsewhere. getting things louder than everything else while still being clean and clear is something i have not yet mastered. And what happens after i approve the mastering and turn it in is a mystery to me.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 AM   #167
Level 4 - Thinker

I checked out this Gearslutz site and looked at what Evil Joe had said about the QOTSA record a year ago, and there's an interesting post there (by Joe himself, for clearness' sake):

ah clipping..............an artform these days. sometimes it comes from mastering in the attempt to make things as loud as a deaf A&R man can handle, sometimes it comes from mixing....levels way hot on tape or god forbid +12 in tools, and it distorts the input of the mixing desk. sometimes its the sheer amout of tracks all piling on one another to destroy the stereo bus, sometimes its the digital distortion no one seems to hear while they are recording, being amplified by lots of compression and eq later, sometimes its the shitting duplication at the pressing plant. there are so many things in the path. I don't know what happens. All I can say on a personal level is that any distortion I hear (unless its intentional) I try to get rid of. Sometimes its a result of my excess levels and compression, and I cant control it. sometimes its a matter of sacrificing punch by lowering all levels to just under the point of breakup and making up for it elsewhere. getting things louder than everything else while still being clean and clear is something i have not yet mastered. And what happens after i approve the mastering and turn it in is a mystery to me.
Zabulon
05-19-2006, 01:13 AM

Interesting. I posted a thread on Gearslutz asking about the distortion on 10K Days. Hope someone with some insight on the recording will stop by and clarify things.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #168
Level 3 - Talker

Interesting. I posted a thread on Gearslutz asking about the distortion on 10K Days. Hope someone with some insight on the recording will stop by and clarify things.
PunkyTheDog
05-19-2006, 02:44 AM

I didn't really read this whole thread, but I thought I'd throw this out there. I have a program called MP3Gain. It takes mp3s and gauges there actual volume. Then you can make them louder or quiter. But, if you're changing their volume you can tell it not to clip the track. So, if the track at, say, 98 dbs and it clips it will quite it down until it doesn't clip. So, I'm guessing if you wanted to you could get the program, rip 10,000 Days (as 320 kbps if you were worried about sound quality) and then use MP3Gain on it to lose the clipping. If you want to better understand how the program works (oh, yeah, and it's free) they have a pretty technical explaination on their site. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
Old 05-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #169
Level 2 - Poster

I didn't really read this whole thread, but I thought I'd throw this out there. I have a program called MP3Gain. It takes mp3s and gauges there actual volume. Then you can make them louder or quiter. But, if you're changing their volume you can tell it not to clip the track. So, if the track at, say, 98 dbs and it clips it will quite it down until it doesn't clip. So, I'm guessing if you wanted to you could get the program, rip 10,000 Days (as 320 kbps if you were worried about sound quality) and then use MP3Gain on it to lose the clipping. If you want to better understand how the program works (oh, yeah, and it's free) they have a pretty technical explaination on their site. http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
Zabulon
05-19-2006, 03:04 AM

PunkyTheDog, this only applies if the clipping is caused by exceeding the limitations of your playback equipment. The "clipping" on 10K Days is embedded in the recording itself, so changing the gain won't help (I've tried in Pro Tools).
Old 05-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #170
Level 3 - Talker

PunkyTheDog, this only applies if the clipping is caused by exceeding the limitations of your playback equipment. The "clipping" on 10K Days is embedded in the recording itself, so changing the gain won't help (I've tried in Pro Tools).
Noumenon's Avatar Noumenon
05-19-2006, 04:26 AM

Yeah, you can't make a program think up the bits that have been chopped off elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:26 AM   #171
Level 4 - Thinker

Yeah, you can't make a program think up the bits that have been chopped off elsewhere.
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
05-19-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabulon
Yeah, well... any views regarding the topic discussed?
No, no, leave them be....they're insulting me in Hollandish....or is that Dutch?

They are all stoned off their heads all of the time....let them say what they have to. Soon they will inhale another cone and forget what was pissing them off....

Yes, this is how the rest of the world views Holland.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:47 AM   #172
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabulon
Yeah, well... any views regarding the topic discussed?
No, no, leave them be....they're insulting me in Hollandish....or is that Dutch?

They are all stoned off their heads all of the time....let them say what they have to. Soon they will inhale another cone and forget what was pissing them off....

Yes, this is how the rest of the world views Holland.
HappySlave's Avatar HappySlave
05-19-2006, 06:54 AM

I'm suddenly very glad that I've spent the last 10 or so years trashing my ears because I can't hear any of these problems. Dulled senses own!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #173
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 6

I'm suddenly very glad that I've spent the last 10 or so years trashing my ears because I can't hear any of these problems. Dulled senses own!
05-19-2006, 07:02 AM

Nicely done Zabulon. It'll be interesting to see what results. Looking forward to deeper understanding.

Best, chris
Old 05-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #174
Level 2 - Poster

Nicely done Zabulon. It'll be interesting to see what results. Looking forward to deeper understanding.

Best, chris
Koan's Avatar Koan
05-19-2006, 07:25 AM

I noticed some distracting noises too. Like some distorted digital noise that comes along with the guitar feedback. It's only bothering when you pay attention to it.

The sound going back and forth on Wings isn't an error though. It moves from left to right. If you are experiencing this as drops in volume, then you must be listening on mono equipment...
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Old 05-19-2006, 07:25 AM   #175
Level 7 - Loquacious

I noticed some distracting noises too. Like some distorted digital noise that comes along with the guitar feedback. It's only bothering when you pay attention to it.

The sound going back and forth on Wings isn't an error though. It moves from left to right. If you are experiencing this as drops in volume, then you must be listening on mono equipment...
there was no craddle I can taste it!"
Zabulon
05-19-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySlave
Tinnitus does have certain advantages ;)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #176
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySlave
Tinnitus does have certain advantages ;)
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
05-19-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmF
Yeah? Go listen to The Patient again. Really really quiet intro, and then in second minute it explodes so fucking loud and hard it just fucks with your head. And no "white noise". Baressi sucks.
Yeah, there's something about the engineering that makes the album sound kind of, how shall I put it, muted. Bottril had kinda the same effect, but I had gotten used to taht. Now comes Baressi, and it'll take another 3 albums to get used to that guy. Good thing is: Tool makes a new album every year! so we won't have to wait long...

MUAHAHAHA!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #177
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmF
Yeah? Go listen to The Patient again. Really really quiet intro, and then in second minute it explodes so fucking loud and hard it just fucks with your head. And no "white noise". Baressi sucks.
Yeah, there's something about the engineering that makes the album sound kind of, how shall I put it, muted. Bottril had kinda the same effect, but I had gotten used to taht. Now comes Baressi, and it'll take another 3 albums to get used to that guy. Good thing is: Tool makes a new album every year! so we won't have to wait long...

MUAHAHAHA!
jsn's Avatar jsn
05-19-2006, 07:33 AM

they wanted a natural jamming, crazy, noisey sound.
they even said that most of their songs came from jam sessions.
it's not supposed to be a "clean" flawless album.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #178
jsn
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

they wanted a natural jamming, crazy, noisey sound.
they even said that most of their songs came from jam sessions.
it's not supposed to be a "clean" flawless album.
jsn's Avatar jsn
05-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnknblvbl
OK people, I had a similar issue - probably the same one - and here's how I solved it.

I turned the overall gain down in Winamp's Equaliser. It was at 0dB, now it's at -2dB, and no more clipping sounds!
Give it a go...
where is winamp equalizer? i think i know but i want to be sure.
thanks.

EDIT: my posts are contradictory HA ! HA ! on my comp it's a little noisey but my stereo is fine...

Last edited by jsn; 05-19-2006 at 07:43 AM..
Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #179
jsn
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfnknblvbl
OK people, I had a similar issue - probably the same one - and here's how I solved it.

I turned the overall gain down in Winamp's Equaliser. It was at 0dB, now it's at -2dB, and no more clipping sounds!
Give it a go...
where is winamp equalizer? i think i know but i want to be sure.
thanks.

EDIT: my posts are contradictory HA ! HA ! on my comp it's a little noisey but my stereo is fine...

Last edited by jsn; 05-19-2006 at 07:43 AM..
HappySlave's Avatar HappySlave
05-19-2006, 07:37 AM

^
^
^
What was that? I couldn't hear you!.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #180
Level 4 - Thinker

^
^
^
What was that? I couldn't hear you!.
05-19-2006, 07:50 AM

Nice job Zabulon getting a discussion started where we might get Mr. Baressi to weigh in on what's up with this situation.

Distortion on new Tool album

Any of you that care to weigh in on this discussion (it certainly could help)?

REGISTER
Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #181
Level 2 - Poster

Nice job Zabulon getting a discussion started where we might get Mr. Baressi to weigh in on what's up with this situation.

REGISTER
transfiguration
05-19-2006, 07:52 AM

REGISTER
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #182
Level 2 - Poster

REGISTER
Zabulon
05-19-2006, 08:04 AM

Yes, my hope is that mr. Barresi himself will enlighten us with some of his personal insight on the matter :)
Old 05-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #183
Level 3 - Talker

Yes, my hope is that mr. Barresi himself will enlighten us with some of his personal insight on the matter :)
transfiguration
05-19-2006, 08:09 AM

His idea of 'insight' may just end up being our kick in the teeth

lol
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #184
Level 2 - Poster

His idea of 'insight' may just end up being our kick in the teeth

lol
amster1
05-19-2006, 09:18 AM

I have heard about this noise problem before.... Listened for it and I HEAR NOTHING. My CD sounds PERFECT, CRYSTAL CLEAR! I think the production is even BETTER than Lateralus! Maybe buy a new copy off Amazon... Maybe the batches that were sent to the stores in your town are defective... (????)
Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #185
Level 4 - Thinker

I have heard about this noise problem before.... Listened for it and I HEAR NOTHING. My CD sounds PERFECT, CRYSTAL CLEAR! I think the production is even BETTER than Lateralus! Maybe buy a new copy off Amazon... Maybe the batches that were sent to the stores in your town are defective... (????)
Zabulon
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amster1
Perhaps, but I'm seeing lots of other people from different countries complaining about this issue too...

Maybe there are multiple bad batches?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #186
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amster1
Perhaps, but I'm seeing lots of other people from different countries complaining about this issue too...

Maybe there are multiple bad batches?
AloneOnceAgain97's Avatar AloneOnceAgain97
05-19-2006, 12:34 PM

I'm not gonna' bash the album anymore, because I've beat it to a pulp... I'll just say that I'm listening to it through my $200 noise canceling MDR-NC50 Sony's and I can hear it. Crappy. Oh well.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM   #187
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 575

I'm not gonna' bash the album anymore, because I've beat it to a pulp... I'll just say that I'm listening to it through my $200 noise canceling MDR-NC50 Sony's and I can hear it. Crappy. Oh well.
05-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Well, I guess Tool has intended for the mix to be more gritty/earthy in an effort to reflect on undertow and opiate. But as for white noise I only really notice it at the start of "Wings" in between the gong beats...a sort of mild wooshing which reminds me of "(-) ions" off of aenima. Im just happy I can hear Tool no matter which level of clarity there is. That said though I was slightly disappointed that they didnt make it a HDCD.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #188
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Well, I guess Tool has intended for the mix to be more gritty/earthy in an effort to reflect on undertow and opiate. But as for white noise I only really notice it at the start of "Wings" in between the gong beats...a sort of mild wooshing which reminds me of "(-) ions" off of aenima. Im just happy I can hear Tool no matter which level of clarity there is. That said though I was slightly disappointed that they didnt make it a HDCD.
05-19-2006, 12:46 PM

the album sounds great.
any "white noise" or WHATEVER you audio snobs are hearing is intentional and there purposefully.

Adapt to it and enjoy the music.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:46 PM   #189
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 52

the album sounds great.
any "white noise" or WHATEVER you audio snobs are hearing is intentional and there purposefully.

Zabulon
05-19-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
the album sounds great.

I have no problems listening to the album and enjoying the music. I'm just curious about the origin of this, as many people are curious about other stuff in Tool's music.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #190
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exegesis
the album sounds great.

I have no problems listening to the album and enjoying the music. I'm just curious about the origin of this, as many people are curious about other stuff in Tool's music.
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
05-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Anyway back on topic:

When are we going to hear offical word on this?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #191
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

Anyway back on topic:

When are we going to hear offical word on this?
05-19-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneOnceAgain97
I'm so sick of people who refuse to accept the fact that this isn't an amazing album. Bunch of stupid 14 and 15 year-olds who think they're open-minded and intelligent because they listen to Tool.
This isn't a thread to rip on the songwriting. This is a discussion of the obviously flawed production.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #192
amateur alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloneOnceAgain97
I'm so sick of people who refuse to accept the fact that this isn't an amazing album. Bunch of stupid 14 and 15 year-olds who think they're open-minded and intelligent because they listen to Tool.
This isn't a thread to rip on the songwriting. This is a discussion of the obviously flawed production.
05-19-2006, 03:26 PM

I said nothing about songwriting. When one says "album" he or she is likely talking about the package as a whole. Production and all.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #193
Level 8 - Vociferous

I said nothing about songwriting. When one says "album" he or she is likely talking about the package as a whole. Production and all.
05-19-2006, 03:30 PM

Enough bullshit flaming.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:30 PM   #194
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Enough bullshit flaming.
05-19-2006, 03:35 PM

Yes less bullshit, more explination. What do we have to do to get a response to this? I doubt any interviewer is gonna have the balls to bring it up...

"One thing I noticed after listening to 10,000 days is that it more or less sounds like flacid dick. Any particular reason for this?"
Old 05-19-2006, 03:35 PM   #195
amateur alchemist

Yes less bullshit, more explination. What do we have to do to get a response to this? I doubt any interviewer is gonna have the balls to bring it up...

"One thing I noticed after listening to 10,000 days is that it more or less sounds like flacid dick. Any particular reason for this?"
paraflux
05-19-2006, 03:41 PM

I doubt it was done on purpose. Elevate shared a thread with me where Joe was trying to defend his work on the record and he sounded like a complete amateur, avoiding responsibility. He knew it was there. I can still enjoy the record though. It's just... harder.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #196
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

I doubt it was done on purpose. Elevate shared a thread with me where Joe was trying to defend his work on the record and he sounded like a complete amateur, avoiding responsibility. He knew it was there. I can still enjoy the record though. It's just... harder.
05-19-2006, 03:50 PM

I just can't wrap my brain around how Tool.. a band so anal about their music.. would let this slide.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #197
amateur alchemist

Re: Production problems/distortion/white noise

I just can't wrap my brain around how Tool.. a band so anal about their music.. would let this slide.
05-19-2006, 03:54 PM

That was my main problem. I mean, yeah, supposedly this album is supposed to be more "raw"... But nothing excuses static. One of the reasons I like Tool is because, as a rule, they're not a very "raw" band... If I wanted raw, I could listen to the Offspring.

Lateralus = Heavily produced.
Aenima = A little less produced.
Lateralus > 10,000 Days + Undertow + Opiate
Lateralus >= Aenima

With that reasoning... More production > Less production... To some extent.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #198
Level 8 - Vociferous

That was my main problem. I mean, yeah, supposedly this album is supposed to be more "raw"... But nothing excuses static. One of the reasons I like Tool is because, as a rule, they're not a very "raw" band... If I wanted raw, I could listen to the Offspring.

Lateralus = Heavily produced.
Aenima = A little less produced.
Lateralus > 10,000 Days + Undertow + Opiate
Lateralus >= Aenima

With that reasoning... More production > Less production... To some extent.
05-19-2006, 03:58 PM

I guess it's a good thing that I don't know crap about production or mixing or anything like that. I fear that if I did, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the album. Personally, I prefer the "grandness" sound of Lateralus. Everything just seemed so epic in its sound. For example, "The Patient" is like a whisper in the beginning and then it explodes to this huge full sound. Same applies to "Parabol" and "Parabola". I love 10K days and that's the end of that. I think it would've been interesting to hear the album if it had the same production as Lateralus did.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #199
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

I guess it's a good thing that I don't know crap about production or mixing or anything like that. I fear that if I did, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the album. Personally, I prefer the "grandness" sound of Lateralus. Everything just seemed so epic in its sound. For example, "The Patient" is like a whisper in the beginning and then it explodes to this huge full sound. Same applies to "Parabol" and "Parabola". I love 10K days and that's the end of that. I think it would've been interesting to hear the album if it had the same production as Lateralus did.
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM

Lateralus is by far the best fucking piece of art ever created. Period.

I think it actually spoiled me. But then again, if it weren't for that album, I wouldn't much care one way or another about 10KD
Old 05-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #200
Level 8 - Vociferous

Lateralus is by far the best fucking piece of art ever created. Period.

I think it actually spoiled me. But then again, if it weren't for that album, I wouldn't much care one way or another about 10KD

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply