Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 04. 10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2)
User Name
Password
khemystri's Avatar khemystri
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk2006
I dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but on the APC live dvd, there is commentary w/ Maynard about APC's music video's. I was looking forward to hearing it for Judith. He explains that when he says "Fuck your God", he's saying fuck the middle man that has his own interpretation of a religion/belief and tries to push/force it on others. Those are his words. I don't think he is saying "Fuck God". But hey this is an opinon section so...yea peace.
yeah what he said.....

Fuck YOUR god, was directed at the congregation his mother belonged to....
His anger at their interpretation of her illness. If I remember the
Amotion commentary correctly.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #41
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
Re: The real meaning of 10000 Days (worth reading)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk2006
I dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but on the APC live dvd, there is commentary w/ Maynard about APC's music video's. I was looking forward to hearing it for Judith. He explains that when he says "Fuck your God", he's saying fuck the middle man that has his own interpretation of a religion/belief and tries to push/force it on others. Those are his words. I don't think he is saying "Fuck God". But hey this is an opinon section so...yea peace.
yeah what he said.....

Fuck YOUR god, was directed at the congregation his mother belonged to....
His anger at their interpretation of her illness. If I remember the
Amotion commentary correctly.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
05-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anajberg
Also, on top of Judith, Jimmy, and Wings pt 1 & 2, what about the fairly obvious lines in APC's Orestes - 'give me one more medicated peaceful moment - gotta cut away, clear away, slip away and sever this umbilical etc..." - these lines are clearly about the dilemma of watching his mother die - first that the reason you keep someone in a terrible/ terminal state alive is the hope of that one last moment of clarity, that somehow you might miraculously get to see who they were before for just one last moment. This contrasts with the knowledge of just how cruel and selfish it is to keep someone alive for such a purpose.
Yes, I made the same observations as the person that started this thread about the real meaning of 10,000 days. I think a lot of people figured it out. You, however, are one of the few people that I know that thinks the same as me about Orestes. Orestes comes from greek mythology and a lot of people got too caught up on that relationship and aren't seeing the obvious connection. "This umbilical residue keeping me from killing you" and the lines you mention above seem to refer to his mother at her last moments. My nana (my favorite grandma) had a major stroke in February paralyzing her and my mother had to make decisions for her about her life wishes and she could not find it in herself to allow them to let her die if it came to that. Instead, they heavily medicate her to help her feel better as she lives on in this horrible way. I can totally relate to this. Even if it's not the real meaning, It helps me to relate it like this.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #42
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anajberg
Also, on top of Judith, Jimmy, and Wings pt 1 & 2, what about the fairly obvious lines in APC's Orestes - 'give me one more medicated peaceful moment - gotta cut away, clear away, slip away and sever this umbilical etc..." - these lines are clearly about the dilemma of watching his mother die - first that the reason you keep someone in a terrible/ terminal state alive is the hope of that one last moment of clarity, that somehow you might miraculously get to see who they were before for just one last moment. This contrasts with the knowledge of just how cruel and selfish it is to keep someone alive for such a purpose.
Yes, I made the same observations as the person that started this thread about the real meaning of 10,000 days. I think a lot of people figured it out. You, however, are one of the few people that I know that thinks the same as me about Orestes. Orestes comes from greek mythology and a lot of people got too caught up on that relationship and aren't seeing the obvious connection. "This umbilical residue keeping me from killing you" and the lines you mention above seem to refer to his mother at her last moments. My nana (my favorite grandma) had a major stroke in February paralyzing her and my mother had to make decisions for her about her life wishes and she could not find it in herself to allow them to let her die if it came to that. Instead, they heavily medicate her to help her feel better as she lives on in this horrible way. I can totally relate to this. Even if it's not the real meaning, It helps me to relate it like this.
anajberg
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM

finishing out the quote - keeping me from killing you - furthers the idea in connection with Judith Marie already being in hell, maynard unable to "put her out her misery." that's why the "one more medicated peaceful moment" is such a powerful instance because of the vivid and emotional scene he's drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamadia
Old 05-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #43
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

finishing out the quote - keeping me from killing you - furthers the idea in connection with Judith Marie already being in hell, maynard unable to "put her out her misery." that's why the "one more medicated peaceful moment" is such a powerful instance because of the vivid and emotional scene he's drawing.

Quote:
Disgustipation
05-01-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralman
I always listened to "Judith" and thought he was angry at the person he was singing about but now that I read the lyrics in that context, he's definitely mad at the divinity they worship, not the person. Interesting...
i think you have something here buddy. I knew from the instant i first listened to wings and 10,000 days that it had something to do withhis mother, redemtion and possibly god finally giving something back to his mother. I did not make the connections with the other songs until i read this. Good job!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #44
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I always listened to "Judith" and thought he was angry at the person he was singing about but now that I read the lyrics in that context, he's definitely mad at the divinity they worship, not the person. Interesting...
i think you have something here buddy. I knew from the instant i first listened to wings and 10,000 days that it had something to do withhis mother, redemtion and possibly god finally giving something back to his mother. I did not make the connections with the other songs until i read this. Good job!
Carny_Handles's Avatar Carny_Handles
05-02-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasonl
His mother died in 2003, after The Grudge was already released for 2 years. Obviously 10,000 days would have had no significance at the time The Grudge was written and there can be no relation

there's another, reasonable explanation for this though, maynard is a time traveler ..it's proof right there.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #45
seeyouauntie

Bincount™: 8695

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljasonl
His mother died in 2003, after The Grudge was already released for 2 years. Obviously 10,000 days would have had no significance at the time The Grudge was written and there can be no relation

there's another, reasonable explanation for this though, maynard is a time traveler ..it's proof right there.
05-02-2006, 01:55 AM

Interessting read

Cheers

Last edited by Oeps; 05-02-2006 at 09:02 AM..
Old 05-02-2006, 01:55 AM   #46
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Interessting read

Cheers

Last edited by Oeps; 05-02-2006 at 09:02 AM..
pjfan
05-02-2006, 03:59 AM

Rather than being mad at God, I think in Judith he was mad at the "religious types" who surrounded his mother and told her that God was using her for a special purpose or what not.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:59 AM   #47
Level 4 - Thinker

Rather than being mad at God, I think in Judith he was mad at the "religious types" who surrounded his mother and told her that God was using her for a special purpose or what not.
Iluvatar
05-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaye
I've been a big fan for many years, but never joined the opinion forums until now.
I was so blown away by 'Wings pt 1 & 2' that I just had to see if anyone else was having the same experience. I am glad to see I'm not alone. Ever since 'jimmy' I've always wondered what the hell happened to Maynard at age 11 that was so traumatic that he felt like he needed to reconcile with his 11 year-old self. I sort of always figured it was about his mom based on the 'face of your own stability' and '11 she was gone' lines, but I never knew for sure. I must admit that with 'Wings pt. 1 & 2', that it didn't click with me on the first two passes through, mainly because I was busy trying to take in everythying, not just lyrics, but by the third time around the song hit me so hard both lyrically & musically that I couldn't handle it. I thought I was either gonna cry or throw up. I really wasn't prepared for the emotional left-hook. Once I knew what was going on in the song, my mind flashed straight back to 'Judith' and then to 'Jimmy' and it all made sense. In a strange way I kind of feel guilty, like Maynard has said too much. He's really laid a huge part of himself out there personally and emotionally with this one. Listening to the song, I feel like I've just accidentally walked in on someone who's totally naked. But at the same time, I realize that Tool's continual ability to pack this much substance into their music is also why most of us became Tool fans in the first place....
Absolutely EXACTLY the same experience I had. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced while listening to music. Then it happened again and again, each time I listened.

Then, on my way home from work, as I belted out the lyrics "Judith Marie, unconditional ooooooooooone" I had another glorious, tear-jerking breakdown realizing that millions of people, just like me, will sing his mother's name and feel a tiny slice of his pain. What a glorious band is Tool, the last of the great rock poets.

Ainulindale,
Iluvatar
Old 05-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #48
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
I've been a big fan for many years, but never joined the opinion forums until now.
I was so blown away by 'Wings pt 1 & 2' that I just had to see if anyone else was having the same experience. I am glad to see I'm not alone. Ever since 'jimmy' I've always wondered what the hell happened to Maynard at age 11 that was so traumatic that he felt like he needed to reconcile with his 11 year-old self. I sort of always figured it was about his mom based on the 'face of your own stability' and '11 she was gone' lines, but I never knew for sure. I must admit that with 'Wings pt. 1 & 2', that it didn't click with me on the first two passes through, mainly because I was busy trying to take in everythying, not just lyrics, but by the third time around the song hit me so hard both lyrically & musically that I couldn't handle it. I thought I was either gonna cry or throw up. I really wasn't prepared for the emotional left-hook. Once I knew what was going on in the song, my mind flashed straight back to 'Judith' and then to 'Jimmy' and it all made sense. In a strange way I kind of feel guilty, like Maynard has said too much. He's really laid a huge part of himself out there personally and emotionally with this one. Listening to the song, I feel like I've just accidentally walked in on someone who's totally naked. But at the same time, I realize that Tool's continual ability to pack this much substance into their music is also why most of us became Tool fans in the first place....
Absolutely EXACTLY the same experience I had. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced while listening to music. Then it happened again and again, each time I listened.

Then, on my way home from work, as I belted out the lyrics "Judith Marie, unconditional ooooooooooone" I had another glorious, tear-jerking breakdown realizing that millions of people, just like me, will sing his mother's name and feel a tiny slice of his pain. What a glorious band is Tool, the last of the great rock poets.

Ainulindale,
Iluvatar
scar's Avatar scar
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
WOW! this was this person's first and only post, and it is so goddamn right on it's BEAUTIFUL! just had to say so, it is sooo perfectly put.

Last edited by scar; 05-02-2006 at 04:19 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 04:16 PM   #49

Quote:
WOW! this was this person's first and only post, and it is so goddamn right on it's BEAUTIFUL! just had to say so, it is sooo perfectly put.

Last edited by scar; 05-02-2006 at 04:19 PM..
scar's Avatar scar
05-02-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfan

perfectly valid. i think i agree with you.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfan

perfectly valid. i think i agree with you.
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM

you dorks are why im a tool dork good work on feeling real...
Old 05-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #51
Banned.

Bincount™: 41

Haidar's Avatar Haidar
05-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotal digit
Pure poetry.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #52
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Pure poetry.
05-02-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Is this supposed to make sense?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #53
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Is this supposed to make sense?
GreenBudsGreenTea's Avatar GreenBudsGreenTea
05-02-2006, 05:12 PM

I think Judith and all of Mer de Noms for that matter is about different romantic relationships not maynards mom.....Judith is about an abusive relationship that the woman just continues to make excuses to be in ....
Praise the one who left you
Broken down and paralyzed
He did it all for you...
Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #54

I think Judith and all of Mer de Noms for that matter is about different romantic relationships not maynards mom.....Judith is about an abusive relationship that the woman just continues to make excuses to be in ....
He did it all for you...
05-02-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBudsGreenTea

He did it all for you...
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS? You're kidding right? The title is fucking JUDITH, it doesn't get much clearer that that. Not to mention Fuck your GOD, your LORD, your CHRIST, he did this! I hope you're kidding and not seriously that stupid!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

He did it all for you...
LOL ARE YOU SERIOUS? You're kidding right? The title is fucking JUDITH, it doesn't get much clearer that that. Not to mention Fuck your GOD, your LORD, your CHRIST, he did this! I hope you're kidding and not seriously that stupid!
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
05-02-2006, 05:24 PM

well aside from the fact that maynard writes lyrics that are meant to be open to personal interpretation, if you watch the apc dvd, he explains that Judith is in fact about his mom, or more specifically about the people who surrounded her.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #56
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

well aside from the fact that maynard writes lyrics that are meant to be open to personal interpretation, if you watch the apc dvd, he explains that Judith is in fact about his mom, or more specifically about the people who surrounded her.
05-02-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Wow a bit harsh no ?

I think a cool thing about tool is that the lyrics are very much about personal interpretation. Very rarely do you hear this song is about this or that. I remember reading when Mer came out that all the songs were about relationships and after many listens saw how it fit. I didnt realize Judith was his mom and the situation surrounding her religion and death untill now. Forgive my posting a thought on what always seems like a pretty open minded board. I bow to your superior knowledge. Can you also tell me what Maynard ate for lunch yesterday ?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #57

Quote:

Wow a bit harsh no ?

I think a cool thing about tool is that the lyrics are very much about personal interpretation. Very rarely do you hear this song is about this or that. I remember reading when Mer came out that all the songs were about relationships and after many listens saw how it fit. I didnt realize Judith was his mom and the situation surrounding her religion and death untill now. Forgive my posting a thought on what always seems like a pretty open minded board. I bow to your superior knowledge. Can you also tell me what Maynard ate for lunch yesterday ?
05-02-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4jer
Great post. It also says something about his eventual respect for his mother's faith when Maynard says "Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father", which is obviously the Christian holy trinity that Maynard aledgedly doesn't believe in at all himself.
definitely not. he is saying what his mother might say in this situation. he was raised christian, but realized he didn't want to follow organized religion. when you lose a parent, you tend to have to placate yourself with the comfortable thought of them living peacefully in heaven. even if you admit at other times that the very thought of what happens after death is too vast to really know. maynard probably was just resting in the idea that since his mother lived the epitome of a good, sacrificing christian life, she deserved that redemption that she so believed in. the song offers peace.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #58
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa4jer
Great post. It also says something about his eventual respect for his mother's faith when Maynard says "Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father", which is obviously the Christian holy trinity that Maynard aledgedly doesn't believe in at all himself.
definitely not. he is saying what his mother might say in this situation. he was raised christian, but realized he didn't want to follow organized religion. when you lose a parent, you tend to have to placate yourself with the comfortable thought of them living peacefully in heaven. even if you admit at other times that the very thought of what happens after death is too vast to really know. maynard probably was just resting in the idea that since his mother lived the epitome of a good, sacrificing christian life, she deserved that redemption that she so believed in. the song offers peace.
05-02-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Wow a bit harsh no ?

Judging from the shit he left in the toilet I'd guess something with corn in it.

No seriously, I'm not claiming superior knowledge, I ASSummed that you were one of the people on here that say shit kidding to try to get a reaction. Guess I was wrong. Also, I assumed that everyone on here knew that Judith was Maynards mom's name since every post on here says it. If you just joined, then I apologize. Yes, what is cool about TOOL is that you can interpret the lyrics in many ways, however Judith is APC and they also tend to be more honest and clear cut in the meaning of their songs, particularly this one.

Last edited by bellamadia; 05-02-2006 at 06:21 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Wow a bit harsh no ?

Judging from the shit he left in the toilet I'd guess something with corn in it.

No seriously, I'm not claiming superior knowledge, I ASSummed that you were one of the people on here that say shit kidding to try to get a reaction. Guess I was wrong. Also, I assumed that everyone on here knew that Judith was Maynards mom's name since every post on here says it. If you just joined, then I apologize. Yes, what is cool about TOOL is that you can interpret the lyrics in many ways, however Judith is APC and they also tend to be more honest and clear cut in the meaning of their songs, particularly this one.

Last edited by bellamadia; 05-02-2006 at 06:21 PM..
GreenBudsGreenTea's Avatar GreenBudsGreenTea
05-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:

No seriously, I'm not claiming superior knowledge, I ASSummed that you were one of the people on here that say shit kidding to try to get a reaction. Guess I was wrong. Also, I assumed that everyone on here knew that Judith was Maynards mom's name since every post on here says it. If you just joined, the I apologize. Yes, what is cool about TOOL is that you can interpret the lyrics in many ways, however Judith is APC and they also tend to be more honest and clear cut in the meaning of their songs, particularly this one.
Its all good.....I mean I knew jimmy was about his mom and I knew this was her eulogy but I didnt put 2 and 2 together with Judith.

Anyways.....I think this is going to be an unreal moment live.......

What a tribute....Maynard belting this out ...dealing with his emotions as thousands of us sing her name every night.

Last tour after 9/11 Maynard said to the crowd that he just hoped they could be a catalyst for some healing.....and that was emotional after losing some friends.....

This is going to be right on that level I think.....
Old 05-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #60

Quote:

No seriously, I'm not claiming superior knowledge, I ASSummed that you were one of the people on here that say shit kidding to try to get a reaction. Guess I was wrong. Also, I assumed that everyone on here knew that Judith was Maynards mom's name since every post on here says it. If you just joined, the I apologize. Yes, what is cool about TOOL is that you can interpret the lyrics in many ways, however Judith is APC and they also tend to be more honest and clear cut in the meaning of their songs, particularly this one.
Its all good.....I mean I knew jimmy was about his mom and I knew this was her eulogy but I didnt put 2 and 2 together with Judith.

What a tribute....Maynard belting this out ...dealing with his emotions as thousands of us sing her name every night.

Last tour after 9/11 Maynard said to the crowd that he just hoped they could be a catalyst for some healing.....and that was emotional after losing some friends.....

05-02-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Yes I agree. I did notice that you are a newbie to this site, I am very sorry for picking on you! You will learn a lot from this site so read on. Don't pay attention to at least half of it though, lol. Listen to Jimmy, Judith, Orestes and Wings for Marie/10,000 Days Wings 2 all in a row. It's so interesting how the have revealed meaning in eachother.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Yes I agree. I did notice that you are a newbie to this site, I am very sorry for picking on you! You will learn a lot from this site so read on. Don't pay attention to at least half of it though, lol. Listen to Jimmy, Judith, Orestes and Wings for Marie/10,000 Days Wings 2 all in a row. It's so interesting how the have revealed meaning in eachother.
½ - ∑mptﻹ's Avatar ½ - ∑mptﻹ
05-02-2006, 06:43 PM

damn quantumMind... you really went RIGHT to work on this one huh.

well, I picked up at least the fact that it was about his mother. infact the lyric "Judith Marie, my one unconditional" seems to me like the only dead giveaway lyric from Maynard as of yet as to who a particular song is about.

that alone hit me hard enough to make me stop what I was doing and stare at my stereo for a moment in dumbfounded admiration.

and all this...

woah.

Last edited by ½ - ∑mptﻹ; 05-02-2006 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: reworking
Old 05-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #62
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

damn quantumMind... you really went RIGHT to work on this one huh.

well, I picked up at least the fact that it was about his mother. infact the lyric "Judith Marie, my one unconditional" seems to me like the only dead giveaway lyric from Maynard as of yet as to who a particular song is about.

that alone hit me hard enough to make me stop what I was doing and stare at my stereo for a moment in dumbfounded admiration.

and all this...

woah.

Last edited by ½ - ∑mptﻹ; 05-02-2006 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: reworking
Butnz
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM

This is deffinately good stuff. The only thing I dont understand is Maynard's spirituality in song. Is it just a tribute to his mother, or something else, talking about getting wings and all? But then again the anger he has in the song Judith sounds very, very personnal.

I wish I didnt read this post so soon casue I had just read the 10,000 days lyrics and was putting it together, about to listen to Judith, but I wondered here instead.

Last edited by Butnz; 05-02-2006 at 06:48 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #63
Level 3 - Talker

This is deffinately good stuff. The only thing I dont understand is Maynard's spirituality in song. Is it just a tribute to his mother, or something else, talking about getting wings and all? But then again the anger he has in the song Judith sounds very, very personnal.

I wish I didnt read this post so soon casue I had just read the 10,000 days lyrics and was putting it together, about to listen to Judith, but I wondered here instead.

Last edited by Butnz; 05-02-2006 at 06:48 PM..
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
If you really want to get maynard's take on the song buy the APC DVD eMOTION. On it is the Judith music video and there is an option to listen to the comentary. I won't spoil it for you but y'all are on the right track ;)

But as he says, there is no one way to interpret their lyrics. Everybody has different expteriences which lead them to interpret words differently. It's all a matter of perspective.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #64
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
If you really want to get maynard's take on the song buy the APC DVD eMOTION. On it is the Judith music video and there is an option to listen to the comentary. I won't spoil it for you but y'all are on the right track ;)

But as he says, there is no one way to interpret their lyrics. Everybody has different expteriences which lead them to interpret words differently. It's all a matter of perspective.
05-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butnz
This is deffinately good stuff. The only thing I dont understand is Maynard's spirituality in song. Is it just a tribute to his mother, or something else, talking about getting wings and all?

Keep reading within the 10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) thread and you will find many interesting theroies on this. :)
Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #65
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
This is deffinately good stuff. The only thing I dont understand is Maynard's spirituality in song. Is it just a tribute to his mother, or something else, talking about getting wings and all?

Keep reading within the 10,000 Days (Wings pt 2) thread and you will find many interesting theroies on this. :)
½ - ∑mptﻹ's Avatar ½ - ∑mptﻹ
05-02-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking that this is pretty much Maynards story of that 10,000 days she "waited". my assumption was that she waited in hell at first, though it's not really sensible to conclude that. because of "the fire". then I saw Quantum's math on his mother's stroke, and THAT was her wait for her "wings". living in a stroke probably couldn't have been pleasant. perhaps hellish. so I think I'm gonna stick to my interperetation cuz I fell into it so easy and yeah, living in a stroke probably WAS hell.

but anyway, her wings are probably just that age old symbol of an angel gettiing her ticket to heaven. the end of the song really had me moved, when he started talking about looking her maker in the eye and telling him firmly that she never took a life, never told a lie. my eyes welled up a bit.

Last edited by ½ - ∑mptﻹ; 05-02-2006 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: crediting the topic creator
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #66
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:

I'm thinking that this is pretty much Maynards story of that 10,000 days she "waited". my assumption was that she waited in hell at first, though it's not really sensible to conclude that. because of "the fire". then I saw Quantum's math on his mother's stroke, and THAT was her wait for her "wings". living in a stroke probably couldn't have been pleasant. perhaps hellish. so I think I'm gonna stick to my interperetation cuz I fell into it so easy and yeah, living in a stroke probably WAS hell.

but anyway, her wings are probably just that age old symbol of an angel gettiing her ticket to heaven. the end of the song really had me moved, when he started talking about looking her maker in the eye and telling him firmly that she never took a life, never told a lie. my eyes welled up a bit.

Last edited by ½ - ∑mptﻹ; 05-02-2006 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: crediting the topic creator
Ein SofDrink
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM

I just wanted to hop in and say that I'm pretty sure it was an aneurysm and not a stroke.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #67
Level 1 - Lurker

I just wanted to hop in and say that I'm pretty sure it was an aneurysm and not a stroke.
chrysanthemum81's Avatar chrysanthemum81
05-02-2006, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Perseensilmä]You should take a math class or something.

That's fucking priceless! I love it.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #68
Level 4 - Thinker

[QUOTE=Perseensilmä]You should take a math class or something.

That's fucking priceless! I love it.
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½ - ∑mptﻹ

you know what, I agree. At first, losing control of yourself would be hell. Then you would eventually accept it, just sitting, waiting for your time to "fly". This song is deffinately one of the most moving Tool songs.

That what I love about Tool, they can be so emotional at some points, then kick the shit out of you at , then really make you think about the bigger picture at other times.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #69
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½ - ∑mptﻹ

you know what, I agree. At first, losing control of yourself would be hell. Then you would eventually accept it, just sitting, waiting for your time to "fly". This song is deffinately one of the most moving Tool songs.

That what I love about Tool, they can be so emotional at some points, then kick the shit out of you at , then really make you think about the bigger picture at other times.
Butnz
05-02-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
sounds like a plan

Edit - After reading RuleOfThree's post in the 'Spirituality and Subjectivity' thread, I see what your getting at Bellamadia. To talk about what she held sacred would be the best way to honor her. Even thogh Maynard might not have the same veiws.

Last edited by Butnz; 05-02-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #70
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
sounds like a plan

Edit - After reading RuleOfThree's post in the 'Spirituality and Subjectivity' thread, I see what your getting at Bellamadia. To talk about what she held sacred would be the best way to honor her. Even thogh Maynard might not have the same veiws.

Last edited by Butnz; 05-02-2006 at 08:17 PM..
05-03-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
sounds like a plan

Yeah, it seems to me that is what he is doing in these songs. I think that makes them all the more beautiful... that though he does not believe, he loves his mom so much to honor her beliefs like this. Amazing to me.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:55 AM   #71
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
sounds like a plan

Yeah, it seems to me that is what he is doing in these songs. I think that makes them all the more beautiful... that though he does not believe, he loves his mom so much to honor her beliefs like this. Amazing to me.
05-03-2006, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ein SofDrink
I believe her obituary said that she suffered a stroke as a result of an aneurysm, I have to go back and look, I might be wrong.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #72
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ein SofDrink
I believe her obituary said that she suffered a stroke as a result of an aneurysm, I have to go back and look, I might be wrong.
bloodydecember's Avatar bloodydecember
05-03-2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I think you're right
Old 05-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #73
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
I think you're right
05-03-2006, 06:23 AM

Excellent Post...

Made Me Realize a Few Thingz I Waz Thinking Differently On Be4...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #74

Bincount™: 4

Excellent Post...

Made Me Realize a Few Thingz I Waz Thinking Differently On Be4...
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM

I think you hit it pretty close about the real meaning. I've had a similar experience with a family member who was a devout church going catholic. Wife, kid, house, etc.. Then Brain tumor, three months later he was gone. I say this because I remember the EXACT time my faith had left me. I belive Jimmy lost his faith because of his mothers illness. 10,000 days is a plea for her to get what she belived in. And Maynard is on the phone yelling its her time now, give her what she gave you, that means NOW! I don't think he had a revelation but a release of sorts, not to ask but to TELL them she is worth it. Being a tool fan since the mohawk and leather pants days, to me this is the best song they have ever done. Oh by the way, check the lyrics for opiate.......
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #75
Level 2 - Poster

I think you hit it pretty close about the real meaning. I've had a similar experience with a family member who was a devout church going catholic. Wife, kid, house, etc.. Then Brain tumor, three months later he was gone. I say this because I remember the EXACT time my faith had left me. I belive Jimmy lost his faith because of his mothers illness. 10,000 days is a plea for her to get what she belived in. And Maynard is on the phone yelling its her time now, give her what she gave you, that means NOW! I don't think he had a revelation but a release of sorts, not to ask but to TELL them she is worth it. Being a tool fan since the mohawk and leather pants days, to me this is the best song they have ever done. Oh by the way, check the lyrics for opiate.......
Deltron3030's Avatar Deltron3030
05-03-2006, 05:15 PM

some good discussion going on here. nice read
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #76
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

some good discussion going on here. nice read
the usual's Avatar the usual
05-03-2006, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Narcasist]Yup, jimmy and judith make alot more sense now that 10,000 days is out. I never realized that he was mad at God because his mother became paralyzed. I always thought he didnt like his mother. It all falls into place now.[/QUOTE

Have any of you guys watched the APC dvd.

The commentary that maynard gives is very informative.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #77
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

[QUOTE=Narcasist]Yup, jimmy and judith make alot more sense now that 10,000 days is out. I never realized that he was mad at God because his mother became paralyzed. I always thought he didnt like his mother. It all falls into place now.[/QUOTE

Have any of you guys watched the APC dvd.

The commentary that maynard gives is very informative.
murphy
05-03-2006, 07:55 PM

This song, this album, this band, and this forum blow me away. Thanks for investigating and posting. I listened to the 10,000 days part two track about 15 times today on my ipod. I loved the arrangement and the passion. After I read this thread I listened to it again (concentrating on the lyrics this time) with tears in my eyes. Incredible. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #78
Level 1 - Lurker

This song, this album, this band, and this forum blow me away. Thanks for investigating and posting. I listened to the 10,000 days part two track about 15 times today on my ipod. I loved the arrangement and the passion. After I read this thread I listened to it again (concentrating on the lyrics this time) with tears in my eyes. Incredible. Thank you!
Big Rig
05-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout
The angle 3.59758° has astronomical significance. In 10,000 days, there are 366.01 lunar orbits, and in 10,000 rotations there are 365.01 lunar orbits. This most significant intercalation of these three periods are products of the three fundamental astronomical motions, earth rotation and lunar and solar orbits. The difference between lunar orbit motion per 100 days and per 100 earth rotations is 3.59758° or CIR/100, equal to the distances from the Tara complex and from the Newgrange complex to the Avebury complex. Multiplying degrees of lunar orbit motion per rotation and per day each times 10,000 results in nearly 360° of difference. Mean lunar orbit per rotation (R27) equals 13.1404° and, at this latitude, CIR/100 equals about 1,314,040 ft.
Nice front. Googled it and found it word for word. And you still don't know the math.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #79
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout
The angle 3.59758° has astronomical significance. In 10,000 days, there are 366.01 lunar orbits, and in 10,000 rotations there are 365.01 lunar orbits. This most significant intercalation of these three periods are products of the three fundamental astronomical motions, earth rotation and lunar and solar orbits. The difference between lunar orbit motion per 100 days and per 100 earth rotations is 3.59758° or CIR/100, equal to the distances from the Tara complex and from the Newgrange complex to the Avebury complex. Multiplying degrees of lunar orbit motion per rotation and per day each times 10,000 results in nearly 360° of difference. Mean lunar orbit per rotation (R27) equals 13.1404° and, at this latitude, CIR/100 equals about 1,314,040 ft.
Nice front. Googled it and found it word for word. And you still don't know the math.
iuguolo
05-03-2006, 11:39 PM

Didn't have a life
Didn't have a life
But surely saved one

maynard saved?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #80
Level 4 - Thinker

Didn't have a life
Didn't have a life
But surely saved one

maynard saved?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply