opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Opiate » 6. Opiate
User Name
Password
Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #41
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
This song is completely and totally sarcastic, the song is meant to be heard as if a religious figure were singing it:and to be quite frank its true
"choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you, you are broken but now faith will heal you, just do everything i tell you to do" This is just dripping with sarcasm

This has always been tools message, dont be a tool, think for yourself come to your own answers dont let someone else tell you how it is, go and find the truth for yourself.

As well I think I remember reading something about how he was abused by a pastor or something along those lines, which would make a lot of sense when you see all the negative views on religion.
OFFLINE |  
Old 06-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Re: I hate this song

i read somewhere that it was his stepfather that sexually abused him, which was why he didn't attend the funeral... whether or not it's true, or if he was a pastor, i don't know.

Last edited by chaotic_confusion; 06-23-2006 at 08:42 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #43
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGT from back in the day
pain is not part of existance, this computer i am at right now, it doesnt feel pain, does that mean it doesnt exist?
Pain is a part of existence as much as breathing is. Computers also don't breath, so what does that mean? In order to grow as an individual you need pain. I’m not referring to physical pain, although we've all had our share of physical pain. Emotional pain is inevitable. It’s just one of many emotions that make us human.

Quote:
o and ya well u have fun with your little "god" thing, just dont be dissapointed if u die and there is no god
If I die and there is no God how am I going to know? And furthermore, if I could die and find out there is no God or afterlife why would I care? That was such an asinine statement.

Quote:
he has never done anything for me, never been there when i needed him most, and he took away some of my loved ones
That is such a damn cop-out. What do you expect from God? Make sure your life is amazing? I hate to tell you, but that's not what God is there for....but wait, fuck that, what have you ever done for God, aside from expecting him to make your life perfect? Go to a fucking third world country and live in aids infested villages with no food or clean water for miles. Fuck you for being an ungrateful little bitch and complaining about your life. There are a lot of people a lot worse off than you. Be thankful for what you do have. Atheists like you annoy me. The only reason you don't believe in a God is because you're pissed about some misfortunes in your life. God gave us free will. Your life is what you make it, I know that shit happens. My aunt was murdered by her husband. My grandma died of cancer. I had a friend killed in a car wreck. I know things happen that are beyond your control, but that's part of life. It's part of that pain that you feel isn't a part of existance.

Last edited by the_boys_not_whole; 07-09-2006 at 10:46 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #44
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm a Christian, and I believe those stories literally, but even if I didn't, there are plenty of reasons why those stories would be told/incorportated into a religion.

those stories were not created to be interpreted litterally. what should be interpreted is the message that they try to get through. scriptures are allegorical texts( allegory: truth hidden behind a simple story. -Dante), as they are used to get transcendant messages to the masses, which otherwise would not be understood or experienced. the object of religion is to put man in touch with the divinity inside us, by any medium, be it bible or sacred representations. so the stories there told may not be litterally true, but used to transfer a holy message. religion is a fundamental aspect in mankind, as it symbolizes our will\struggle to touch the divinity in us.

it's not a matter of being christian or religious and taking the stories narrated for true, or being atheist and not believing to the stories you hear in the scriptures, but identifying ourselves or not in the virtues spoken of in the texts. I mean: 'love thy enemy' or 'forgive what has been done unto you'... who wouldn't appreciate these words?

Last edited by Theheroeshavedied; 07-13-2006 at 09:56 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-29-2006, 04:23 AM   #45
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories
Yeah, that's kind of ridiculous.
Pain is a part of existence, and if you deny yourself part of existence, then you don't really live. There is much knowledge gained through suffering, though suffering is not really ideal.

Buddhism seeks to destroy the knowledge gained through suffering by claiming that eliminating 'want' or desire brings some sort of comfort. Yet if the desire is for comfort and for the freedom from pain, that is in itself a desire... a 'want' and thus it refutes itself.
Buddhism doesn't seek to 'remove' pain, as someone mentioned earlier. Buddhism is about realising that pain and pleasure are temporary, and thus clinging to those temporary feelings as though they are permanent causes suffering. Buddhism is about removing attachment to those feelings - you can still feel pain and pleasure, and you can still enjoy pleasure and dislike pain, but it's just a matter of realising that they are impermanent, and so there is no point in getting 'hung up' on those feelings. Also, in Buddhism, you are not supposed to desire enlightenment in a traditional sense, it's more about realising that you are nirvana all along, that you've been deluding yourself by attaching yourself to impermanent feelings and things.

Sorry for the essay, but I have studied a little Buddhism (I'm not a practitioner though) and find its ideas very interesting.

My MySpace for tunes:
www.myspace.com/bionicanchovy
OFFLINE |  
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #46

Bincount™: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_boys_not_whole
Pain is a part of existence as much as breathing is. Computers also don't breath, so what does that mean? In order to grow as an individual you need pain. I’m not referring to physical pain, although we've all had our share of physical pain. Emotional pain is inevitable. It’s just one of many emotions that make us human.

If I die and there is no God how am I going to know? And furthermore, if I could die and find out there is no God or afterlife why would I care? That was such an asinine statement.

That is such a damn cop-out. What do you expect from God? Make sure your life is amazing? I hate to tell you, but that's not what God is there for....but wait, fuck that, what have you ever done for God, aside from expecting him to make your life perfect? Go to a fucking third world country and live in aids infested villages with no food or clean water for miles. Fuck you for being an ungrateful little bitch and complaining about your life. There are a lot of people a lot worse off than you. Be thankful for what you do have. Atheists like you annoy me. The only reason you don't believe in a God is because you're pissed about some misfortunes in your life. God gave us free will. Your life is what you make it, I know that shit happens. My aunt was murdered by her husband. My grandma died of cancer. I had a friend killed in a car wreck. I know things happen that are beyond your control, but that's part of life. It's part of that pain that you feel isn't a part of existance.
this guy is tearing up over something i said a while ago, i love it, and ya the reason i dont believe in god isnt because im pissed its because it doesnt make sense and also, i havent done anything for god but i didnt create god, if i created him i would have done something for him, he supposably created me and he hasnt done anything.........i could go on and on about this but i really dont feel like it, u can believe what u want, i really dont care what u believe
Old 07-31-2006, 08:28 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheroeshavedied
I'm a Christian, and I believe those stories literally, but even if I didn't, there are plenty of reasons why those stories would be told/incorportated into a religion.

those stories were not created to be interpreted litterally. what should be interpreted is the message that they try to get through. scriptures are allegorical texts( allegory: truth hidden behind a simple story. -Dante), as they are used to get transcendant messages to the masses, which otherwise would not be understood or experienced. the object of religion is to put man in touch with the divinity inside us, by any medium, be it bible or sacred representations. so the stories there told may not be litterally true, but used to transfer a holy message. religion is a fundamental aspect in mankind, as it symbolizes our will\struggle to touch the divinity in us.

it's not a matter of being christian or religious and taking the stories narrated for true, or being atheist and not believing to the stories you hear in the scriptures, but identifying ourselves or not in the virtues spoken of in the texts. I mean: 'love thy enemy' or 'forgive what has been done unto you'... who wouldn't appreciate these words?
just wondering......what do u make out of "thou shall not kill"? he doesnt say "thou shall not kill another human being" just "thou shall not kill" but in order for us to survive we must kill, we kill everyday, whether it is eating lobster, killing a bug, or something as small as a cell, we kill everyday, and yes our sins may be forgiven but those are a lot of sins everyday and if all of them could be forgiven then why do people end up in hell?.......just something to think about
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ulogy
This song is completely and totally sarcastic, the song is meant to be heard as if a religious figure were singing it:and to be quite frank its true
"choices always were a problem for you, what you need is someone strong to guide you, you are broken but now faith will heal you, just do everything i tell you to do" This is just dripping with sarcasm

This has always been tools message, dont be a tool, think for yourself come to your own answers dont let someone else tell you how it is, go and find the truth for yourself.

As well I think I remember reading something about how he was abused by a pastor or something along those lines, which would make a lot of sense when you see all the negative views on religion.
thank you, thats exactly what i say
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
this guy is tearing up over something i said a while ago, i love it, and ya the reason i dont believe in god isnt because im pissed its because it doesnt make sense and also, i havent done anything for god but i didnt create god, if i created him i would have done something for him, he supposably created me and he hasnt done anything.........i could go on and on about this but i really dont feel like it, u can believe what u want, i really dont care what u believe
Well, I had to step in and say something about the stupidity you were spewing. You’re an imbecile. So, I realize you don't believe in God, but for the sake of argument; he gave you life and free will, so you're telling me you want free will to do whatever you want, even if it means not believing in him, and you still want him to do something for you? What do you want him to do? Really? Give you money? You’re selfish is what it comes down to. Do you want him to make sure your pathetic life is always happy and great? Well, again, free will comes into play. You’re responsible for your own goddamn decisions. Why don't you quit whining and own up to your own decisions.
OFFLINE |  
Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_boys_not_whole
Well, I had to step in and say something about the stupidity you were spewing. You’re an imbecile. So, I realize you don't believe in God, but for the sake of argument; he gave you life and free will, so you're telling me you want free will to do whatever you want, even if it means not believing in him, and you still want him to do something for you? What do you want him to do? Really? Give you money? You’re selfish is what it comes down to. Do you want him to make sure your pathetic life is always happy and great? Well, again, free will comes into play. You’re responsible for your own goddamn decisions. Why don't you quit whining and own up to your own decisions.
i love how you say he gave me life and free will, you know this for a fact? did god personally tell you this?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #51
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

/closed

Stop going at each other like a bunch of suburban bitches.
OFFLINE |  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: