opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 03. The Patient
User Name
Password
Old 06-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
I'm freaking out, man!

Bincount™: 1506
Interpretation

I think this song is about how we choose to live life and be alive rather then just die. Think how many people are in the world, like 7 billion, obviously were all alive for the same reason, to see what the future holds. No matter how bad your life gets, you choose to stay alive and see what will happen next. The quote about how the sun wouldn't be as good and expecting without rain, saying that the sun will be that much better when it finally comes, we just have to be patient and wait it out.

That quote also reminds me of Disposition, watching the weather change meaning good weather wouldn't be as good without bad weather interfering at some point.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Re: Interpretation

Cool.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1439
Re: Interpretation

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Stebbins
I think this song is about how we choose to live life and be alive rather then just die. Think how many people are in the world, like 7 billion, obviously were all alive for the same reason, to see what the future holds. No matter how bad your life gets, you choose to stay alive and see what will happen next. The quote about how the sun wouldn't be as good and expecting without rain, saying that the sun will be that much better when it finally comes, we just have to be patient and wait it out.

That quote also reminds me of Disposition, watching the weather change meaning good weather wouldn't be as good without bad weather interfering at some point.
I like this interpretation, and it's essentially how I've interpreted the song as well; but I don't think its about the universal "we". A lot of people choose to keep on living out of fear, or out of a moral objection to suicide. Or out of love for family, or not wanting to let other people down.

I think its a much more personal song. This is a song about *his* will to keep going, coming from a specific place, a specific motivation. Maynard is reminding himself to be patient, because there are "rewards to reap," and the "loving embrace to see [him] through" helps him stay on the path. It's personal, but it can (and does) apply to plenty of other people (including myself).

I can be a very negative person, and I get depressed very easily. I've had fairly intense suicidal thoughts in the past, but made a very conscious decision not to do anything about it. Something I'm always saying: "Life is a series of good events in a vast ocean of suffering, but I would never give it up. Amidst all this SHIT there's still something to smile about."

Hah, maybe I'll write a song with those lyrics. (C) 2006 Me.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: