opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 01. Stinkfist
User Name
Password
Old 12-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #41
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Meaning of the song

[QUOTE=pivotal digit;1183758]it's about desensitization , a metaphore
finger deep inside the border line
knuckle deep
elbow deep
shoulder deep
this may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to
so it has to go deeper and deeper

tired moments into pleasure - T.v
constant over stimulation
has to keep going further[/QUOTE

That definately seems to be the basic idea, I agree. And I think a little more specifically that it is about a relationship/sexual love. "Show me that you love me and that we belong together" would be a very poor lyric in the context of desensitization to something nonhuman, though I do think there is plenty of room for personal interpretation using the general notions of desensitization and significance/meaning(losing, seeking & finding) Consider also that live Maynard sings a part of the song "Suspicious Minds"--"can't walk out...I love you too much baby", and don't forget the male and female companions in the video.
And I just wanted to make a short response to those who really think he is talking about drug addiction. I just think you really have to torture the lyrics for them to make sense from that perspective and it just seems to make much more sense in the aforementioned way. But I'm not criticizing people who hear it that way and I don't want to rob anyone of their own interpretation but consider this: If the song really is about struggle with drug addiction we would have to admit that Maynard would be being very redundant with the content of his songs and quite obsessed with that experience. Consider that the song 'Undertow' is explicitly about that struggle and that many people think that 'swampsong' also makes a lot of sense in this context and the two may even be linked in that they may be two narratives of one situation.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #42
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretforyourfigure462 View Post
Wow that really makes a lot of sense. I think because this song is "metaphor" that's why it can be taken in a lot of different ways. The drug addiction, trying to find someone, etc. The problem is...each of us fellow Tool fans continue to overanalyze everything said. And it prevents us from ever really understanding the song.
I think Tool wants us to take this song and all their songs in a way that applies to our life. So interpretations of a song will vary.
I completely agree. My thoughts were always that it symbolized the desensitization of society in general (think Vicarious). Always needing more whether it be physical sensation, drug enhanced and/or visual stimulation until your tolerance builds to the point where what used to work isn't enough and you need more and more but at the same time you eventually get to the point where you've simply outdone yourself. It's a sad realization the the simple things that should matter the most are now just faded memory. It's a tough and at times shameful reality but it's pure human nature.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #43
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I completely agree. My thoughts were always that it symbolized the desensitization of society in general (think Vicarious). Always needing more whether it be physical sensation, drug enhanced and/or visual stimulation until your tolerance builds to the point where what used to work isn't enough and you need more and more but at the same time you eventually get to the point where you've simply outdone yourself. It's a sad realization the the simple things that should matter the most are now just faded memory. It's a tough and at times shameful reality but it's pure human nature.

Glad to know someone is with me.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:23 AM   #44
Level 3 - Talker

I think it's fairly simple - any general addiction can be applied to this song. Sex, drugs... hell, if you analyze it enough it can be a metaphor for being addicted to working out.

Personally, I think that heroin was in mind when the song was written, which seems to be the addiction du jour, usually, when writing songs.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #45
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretforyourfigure462 View Post
Glad to know someone is with me.
=-)
Old 01-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #46
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 96

i take stinkfist in a much more personal level. and like i do with a lot of the other tool songs, it links in with relationships. there are loads of things ive got to say about this song, but ill write down all i can rememeber for now, like that within the borderline, i see as what is appropriate between two newly coupled people, and the testing of those boundaries by one of the people in that realtionship, relax, turn around and take my hand, has surely got to suggest some previous experience, like guiding a virgin into her/his first sexual encounter. thats the general ideas i have about this legend of a song, if u want any more extentions of my ideas, please ask. or does anyone just not get what im sayin

Don't get big ideas, they are not going to happen.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #47
Banned.

Bincount™: 4277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanos View Post
the "borderline" is the "thin veil" approx. 2-4 inches in front of your face...some says its a "gateway" to something.......vibrations....all matter is mearly that....keep on diggin :)
interesting
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #48
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derge View Post
Hey hey hey, slow down:
As a society we have become desensitized (name a topic, ie. death, music)
and as such require a deeper 'fist' to gain new arousal, or else it just becomes nothing of interest.
Damn post-Lateralus fans are becoming too 'mystically' deep on TOOL.
This must end or we'll lose sight of reality.
whoa whoa whoa. tool are deep, just because this song isn't 'mystic' as you put it, doesnt mean their music has grown deeper over time. its a bit ignorant to thin that only you're opinion is correct. also what do you mean by reality? if you mean your day to day experiences you use reality in the wrong sense, the reality is that life, and our existance is deep. i streches beyond the boundaries of our imagination and is the only true reality.

with love as always,
chris
x
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samus640
Something has to change. (Feeling a need to change; feeling a desire for a better life)
Un-deniable dilemma. (Seeing that one's life is incomplete; not knowing who you are)
Boredom's not a burden (No one has to be incomplete, but can find themselves)
Anyone should bear.

Constant over stimu-lation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.
^ ^ ^ ^
(This is the one part I'm really not sure about. My guess is it could be suggesting that the more he digs into his unconcious mind, the easier it becomes and the less pain he feels because he is becoming numb to the process of individuation. However, he realizes its importance in finding the life he seeks (a unified self) and that is why he "wouldn't have it any other way."

It's not enough.
I need more. (Once again, expressing a desire to find a deeper life,
Nothing seems to satisfy. becoming truly alive and fully awake.)
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive.

Finger deep within the borderline. (Beginning to dig into the unconscious mind)
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.
^ ^ ^
(The Anima is described as one's "ideal" female and often influences who we are attracted to according to Jungian psychology. Some theorize that when we fall in love, we are actually falling in love with our archetype, the Anima, as we see it/her in a woman. The line "show me that you love me" might be an appeal to his inner Anima as the desire of his heart.)

I can help you change
Tired moments into pleasure.
Say the word and we'll be
Well upon our way.
^ ^ ^ ^
(Sometimes, we see our archetypes in our dreams represented in physical form. He might be seeing his Anima in his "tired moments" or sleep, and having intimate/pleasurable times with it/her.)

Blend and balance (The ongoing process of individuation)
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.
^ ^ ^ ^
(Going through this process until my unconscious self is unified with my conscious self and I will be with my Anima as one. She/it will finally have me, and I my life will be complete and will not need to change "any other way")

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive.

Knuckle deep inside the borderline. (digging yet even further into unconcious self.)
This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to. (hints at the difficult, yet rewarding process of individuation.)
Relax. Slip away. (Slipping away into the unconcious part of one's mind)

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
^ ^ ^ ^
(These lines might suggest that it is disappointing how the majority of society has become complacent and ignorant and does not make any effort to dig into themselves and expand their minds. People are not trying to live more rewarding lives and do not attempt to unify their unconscious selves with their conscious selves.)

How can it mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?
^ ^ ^ ^
(possibly: How can life be of any value to me if I don't know who I am/ if my mind is divided)

I'll keep digging till (I'll keep searching my unconscious until I feel alive)
I feel something.

***Sidenote*** Jung studied the unconcious mind through "symbolic communications of the human psche" such as art, music, mythology, etc. Maynard could be saying, that he'll keep writing music and creating artwork in order to discover himself.

Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. Turn around and take my hand.
^ ^ ^ ^
(Once again, making reference to going even further into the unconscious mind in an attempt to find one's Anima, which I suppose could also be thought of as one's true love. Naturally, it is assumed, that people need to integrate their unconscious lives into their conscious lives and as a result, both the unconscious and conscious "belong together" or need to be together.)

Once again, this is just a theory. There is a good chance I'm just full of it, but like I said, it doesn't hurt to try. Really, we'll probably never know what Tool is trying to say, but that is what makes Tool unique. As compared to other bands, they don't tell you what to believe or think about in their music. They leave it up to the listener to try to figure it out for themselves. Really, it seems Tool just wants to change society by waking people up and cause them to start using their heads. They just want people to open up their minds and think about things before falling in line and never asking questions. Needless to say, they are very skilled at making people think for themselves.
The best interpretation here anyway. I see a lot of things in the same way.

And I'm really surprised how some people understand to lyrics of Stinkfist. Surprised and amused...
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #50
Baa
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Honestly I've never really thought all that deeply about Stinkfist. The desensitization of society, what we find to be thrilling is becoming more and more difficult to achieve. Hence the reason he's having to go further and further in to look for feeling.

My two cents.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #51
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baa View Post
Honestly I've never really thought all that deeply about Stinkfist. The desensitization of society, what we find to be thrilling is becoming more and more difficult to achieve. Hence the reason he's having to go further and further in to look for feeling.

My two cents.
Exactly, although Maynard is so good at leaving things so generalized without being too specific...although again, there are also some songs which are pretty plainly obvious that some people on this site go completely off the deep end with utter bullcrap theories
Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #52
On Probation

Bincount™: 36

I think this is about sex, and the sexuality in a relationship and the complicated dynamics between two people in it. There is a sacreness in that meeting that has to be respected at the same time as we want that sexual kick. I think the song is about balancing that, and failing that balance. About how, once you have manipulated yourself across someones lines of defence, there is no way back, for neither part. It's hard to say no, after you've let someone in, how to motivate a no now, when it was ok this far ? Especially when the other one uses love as a way to persuade you into something that has nuthing to do with it. There is this amazing pleasure of the sex (anal in this song, someone mentioned bdsm earlier), and on the other hand that fragile love, that will be so hard to mend once soiled. The pleasure of the kick seems so much easier than going thru that hard work of rebuilding trust, now that it's spoiled anyway. So we go on... I don't know, I'm just rephrasing things already said. :)
Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #53
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLine View Post
whoa whoa whoa. tool are deep, just because this song isn't 'mystic' as you put it, doesnt mean their music has grown deeper over time. its a bit ignorant to thin that only you're opinion is correct. also what do you mean by reality? if you mean your day to day experiences you use reality in the wrong sense, the reality is that life, and our existance is deep. i streches beyond the boundaries of our imagination and is the only true reality.

with love as always,
chris
x
lol, now that was kinda cheesy
Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #54
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcheMilla View Post
I think this is about sex, and the sexuality in a relationship and the complicated dynamics between two people in it. There is a sacreness in that meeting that has to be respected at the same time as we want that sexual kick. I think the song is about balancing that, and failing that balance. About how, once you have manipulated yourself across someones lines of defence, there is no way back, for neither part. It's hard to say no, after you've let someone in, how to motivate a no now, when it was ok this far ? Especially when the other one uses love as a way to persuade you into something that has nuthing to do with it. There is this amazing pleasure of the sex (anal in this song, someone mentioned bdsm earlier), and on the other hand that fragile love, that will be so hard to mend once soiled. The pleasure of the kick seems so much easier than going thru that hard work of rebuilding trust, now that it's spoiled anyway. So we go on... I don't know, I'm just rephrasing things already said. :)
The song is not about anal sex genius. It's a metaphor
Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #55
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
lol, now that was kinda cheesy
cheesy?...yes but its still my belief you cant judge a band purely by one song.
because one isnt deep or as deep as the rest doesn't mean the rest are not. anyways i ain't DOWN with the HIP HOP speech thesse days ya'all

chris
x
Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #56
On Probation

Quote:
Umm, does that mean I'm not a genius either....? Or that I am....? Could it be a metaphor AND about sex...I dunno, obviously.

Last edited by AlcheMilla; 02-21-2007 at 11:01 AM..
Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #57
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Umm, does that mean I'm not a genius either....? Or that I am....? Could it be a metaphor AND about sex...I dunno, obviously.
Obviously not
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #58
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
er...do you even understand what a metaphor is? i think that reply disproves your theory and your genius claim.

chris
x
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #59
Level 7 - Loquacious

this song is about tv and graphical violence shown etc. being hooked into the machine (reference from the video) and generally is aenima's vicarious.

chris
x
Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #60
On Probation

Quote:
er...do you even understand what a metaphor is? i think that reply disproves your theory and your genius claim.

chris
x
I'm sorry for coming thru as thinking myself to be a genius, I was just uncertain whether or not inner_eulogy thought I was. I do understand the meaning of metaphor, and I am sorry for posting a thought that so obviously is considered idiocy by inner. I will question myself and my thoughts more in the future, before posting, as to not offend you or your version of reality. Thanks for your patience.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #61
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
I'm sorry for coming thru as thinking myself to be a genius, I was just uncertain whether or not inner_eulogy thought I was. I do understand the meaning of metaphor, and I am sorry for posting a thought that so obviously is considered idiocy by inner. I will question myself and my thoughts more in the future, before posting, as to not offend you or your version of reality. Thanks for your patience.
oh get rid of your ego you ppmpous moron.

chris
x
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #62
On Probation

Quote:

chris
x
lol... oh boy.... one need hardly even lift a finger to get u going. Any other wise words to share ? You seem to have an endless supply.... Would someone please ban me from this site, cause I find this just too hilarious to give up, I'm getting addicted....

Last edited by AlcheMilla; 02-24-2007 at 05:41 AM..
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #63
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:

chris
x
haha
Old 03-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #64
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I never understand why people try to attribute such a deep, heavy meaning to each line of the Stinkfist lyrics. To me, this 1 is right there on the surface. No need to try and dissect every line for some elaborate meaning.
I might piss the powers that be off with this post but here goes:

ITS ABOUT SHOVING YOUR FIST UP SOME GUYS ASS>>>OR HAVING SOME GUY SHOVE HIS FIST UP YOUR ASS

Plain and simple. Maynard is bi-sexual, if not flat out gay. I have a bootleg concert recording where he talks about how great it was the last time he was in England because he had violent anal sex with Morrisey all night long. He wasnt joking,either.

I know its hard to believe somebody you respect and admire might be a homosexual who enjoys deviant sexual activity, but you dont know the guy personally. Im not saying I know Maynard personally, but I beleive my feelings on his sexuality to be true.

There is even an X ray picture of some foriegn object lodged up somebody anal cavity in the Aenima CD package. Whats to decipher about Stinkfist?? Its very obvious to me. For all those wondering, Im heterosexual and always will be. But I dont discriminate against anyone based on their personal sexual preferences. I think the members of TOOL are the same way, and they are trying to get others to be tolerant of all human beings, regardless of sexual preference.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #65
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

just reading your posts make me feel dumber or stoopider.

fock, see. stfu and log off.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 03-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #66
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Yehti View Post
I never understand why people try to attribute such a deep, heavy meaning to each line of the Stinkfist lyrics. To me, this 1 is right there on the surface. No need to try and dissect every line for some elaborate meaning.
I might piss the powers that be off with this post but here goes:

ITS ABOUT SHOVING YOUR FIST UP SOME GUYS ASS>>>OR HAVING SOME GUY SHOVE HIS FIST UP YOUR ASS

Plain and simple. Maynard is bi-sexual, if not flat out gay. I have a bootleg concert recording where he talks about how great it was the last time he was in England because he had violent anal sex with Morrisey all night long. He wasnt joking,either.

I know its hard to believe somebody you respect and admire might be a homosexual who enjoys deviant sexual activity, but you dont know the guy personally. Im not saying I know Maynard personally, but I beleive my feelings on his sexuality to be true.

There is even an X ray picture of some foriegn object lodged up somebody anal cavity in the Aenima CD package. Whats to decipher about Stinkfist?? Its very obvious to me. For all those wondering, Im heterosexual and always will be. But I dont discriminate against anyone based on their personal sexual preferences. I think the members of TOOL are the same way, and they are trying to get others to be tolerant of all human beings, regardless of sexual preference.
you are a fucking moron. you are keeping the human species from evolving.

chris
x
Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #67
Level 4 - Thinker

I know people who knew members of the band in the early 90's. What u got? FUCKFACE GROUPIES!!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #68
Member Of The Bored (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 11897

Quote:
I know people who knew members of the band in the early 90's. What u got? FUCKFACE GROUPIES!!
i know people that know people that know people that rob people. so what right, right.

but your still and always will be a fucking idiot. hahaha. idiot.
TOYKO!! R.I.P. The Alien Gus
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 AM   #69
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
i know a person whis knows alot of hitmen, so watch out!, jesus just stop being a prick.

chris
x
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #70
a headstone waiting for words

Bincount™: 6093

ATTN: Red Yehti

i think you are overreacting a little to someone disagreeing with your post

and i think it funny you have to defend you "heterosexuality" in your post, anytime you give a disclaimer like that it shows how blatantly obvious it is that you yourself are insecure about your sexuality

and p.s.
stinkfist is not a song about gay porn, (but we know how much as you want it to be)
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #71
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalk_line View Post

and i think it funny you have to defend you "heterosexuality" in your post, anytime you give a disclaimer like that it shows how blatantly obvious it is that you yourself are insecure about your sexuality

and p.s.
stinkfist is not a song about gay porn, (but we know how much as you want it to be)

lol great retort man.

much love
chris
x
Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #72
Banned.

Bincount™: 779

Motherfuck. Somebody needs to figure out a way to turn this thread into a stand up act. Fucking spectacular.
And stinkfist is about the possibility of removing apathy and self-destructive routines in hopes of... doing other stuff for awhile. I know a guy who knows a guy who's always right.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #73
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevons View Post
Motherfuck. Somebody needs to figure out a way to turn this thread into a stand up act. Fucking spectacular.
And stinkfist is about the possibility of removing apathy and self-destructive routines in hopes of... doing other stuff for awhile. I know a guy who knows a guy who's always right.
lol i think i know that guy aswell, name's steve isn't it?

chris
x
Old 03-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #74
Banned.

nah, i know a guy who knows me, and i'm always right. It was a bad joke.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #75
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I'm an anal sex genius.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #76
Banned.

Just don't do it under water, sir. Five years in rehab and counting.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #77
On Probation

Quote:

It must be even harder to BE that respected and admired person, if he'd really be bi. Would whatever he has to say, somehow be made worthless by his sexual preferences.... Interesting thought that he'd be bi... Wow, would that REALLY make him the antichrist...lol And send a great big part of the "army" straight into a deep identity crisis....let's hope he isn't...lol
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #78
Level 4 - Thinker

Making threats about hit men and people who rob people just shows how ridiculously serious you take this forum. Should i start looking over my shoulder for your hitmen, imatoolhead? Should I lose sleep thinking i might be robbed, Shadowline? You guys need to get out of your house every now and then. Im really sorry if i hit a nerve about the "gay" thing. Some people (shadowline,imatoolhead) just like to hide their head in the sand...or snowbank in Imatoolhaeds case. Get a snow shovel and dig your pale ass out, its nice out here.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #79
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalk_line View Post

and p.s.
Who are you to wave your FATTY fingers at me?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #80
a headstone waiting for words

Bincount™: 6093

Quote:
Who are you to wave your FATTY fingers at me?
you must have been out your mind.

(im your daddy)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: