opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 05. Schism
User Name
Password
Old 08-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Layers of Meaning - Physical and Spiritual

The more I deeply focus on the lyrics of Tool the more I find that the meanings in the lyrics are layered. I know that I do not always get the entire gist of the songs because some pieces are surely personal to Maynard.
However, I do have a spiritual interpretation for this particular song. This song is about the division of our divine mind from our divine soul. Physically the song speaks of a relationship between two people. However, the symbolism shines through when he says "between supposed brothers". There is little chance that Maynard set out with the intent to write a song about homosexual lovers who are also brothers.
Spiritually, we are put on this earth to bring the divine mind and soul back together, reunite the spiritual and matter. In doing this we create the strongest union of all. However, this world is filled with blinding illusion so we "point the finger, blame the other" and get lost among and sea of misconception. The "cold silence" of being lost in the illusion breaks us away from our most fundamental self, that of divine love and compassion.

The entirety of the album lateralus has a spiritual undertone concerning the relationship of the divine mind and the divine soul. Maynard speaks of much spiritual wisdom and truth. I wonder how he came to it. If you want a glimpse at the meaning I have derived please read and wade through the meanings behind The Emerald Tablet of Hermes, The Divine Pymander, The Secret Doctrine, The Bible, The Upanishads etc. All tomes of pure wisdom.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Layers of Meaning - Physical and Spiritual

That last point, I agree on. "I know the pieces fit" in the context of the endless array of religions and sacred texts, there is a divine true shared between them all - which is overshadowed in orthodox by religion's general "only one can be true" dogma.

I guess it's a Theosophical, Masonic, Thelemic, UU (Universalist) and Dharmic idea within that message :)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: