opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Prison Sex
User Name
Password
Old 12-05-2002, 04:39 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
my least favorite

this video is probably my least favorite of all their videos (with the exception of hush) i'm not really sure why, it just doesn't seem to fit the song very well...
Old 12-11-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
wow. It is my personal favorite besides parabola, i think it goes amazingly well. Also the most disturbing, mentally.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 12:03 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

wow is right!!!

I tihnk this video is one of they're best just for the simple fact of the pure genious that was involved in all of the symbolism in the video! If you look at it from the graphics aspect yeah it doesn't really pan up to some of the others but shit I think the video is brilliant!
Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Actually, of all their videos, I think the video for Prison Sex makes the most sense and has the most deep symbolism....It is UNQUESTIONABLY my favorite...and it's also a great song....

The video is distubring as well, although I think Aenema is a more disturbing video....

But PS makes the most sense.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

If you don't like Prison Sex you really need to question WHY you don't like it. Maybe you're just an anti-Quay person (the artists who likely inspired this video's style), and that's fine, but you need to appreciate how meaningful this video is. I think it goes amazingly well with the song, with everything, and like others have said, it is without a doubt my most favorite Tool video. I think the worst is probably Parabola, which is so strewn-out and hard to correlate with anything that I can't really enjoy it. It also seems to have panned out of the darker themes from similar songs even like Schism--then again, that makes sense, because of it being the song Parabola...

Either way..... woo! Go Prison Sex. Personally I marvel at Adam Jones suddenly taking the reigns fully and making such a great video. Whereas in past people had produced... well, Hush, which made a point, but made that same point for about 2:48... and Sober, the precursor to what would really shine through in (obviously) Prison Sex.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Symbolic? no?

Notice: the doll is in the alien creature's prison so to speak. It is like a child. It doesn't know what the alien is doing to him is wrong. The leglessness may symbolize the "I can't get away from this" feeling. The alien aso seems to tear pages out of a book which may be something simialr to the bible. you know that whole "my bible doesn't mention sodomy" type thing. Only at the end does the doll know that these actions are wrong and that is why he taints himself with the brush and he actally tries to defend himself by raising his hand up at the end. The whole 'being pushed back into the wall' action may symbolize the coming full circle lyric. Meaning that later in life, this doll will secumb to the what he was raised with, beoming a tormentor himself. I am done. I probaby didn't list all that I could thing of, but I am not watching the vid right now, so you know...
Old 03-29-2003, 05:03 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

The book

The book thing reminds me of a marilyn manson lyric in "Dried Up, Tied And Dead To The World", wich is about child abuse. It goes like this: 'You never read what you've written', meaning that the parent never faces what he has done to the child. Tearing the pages from the book in thes video could mean something similar, but could as well be what has been written about his own live, his own abuse. The tearing of the pages would mean trying to get rid of it. I don't really see a bible link, but might be wrong...
Old 04-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: my least favorite

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8ingknot4659
this video is probably my least favorite of all their videos (with the exception of hush) i'm not really sure why, it just doesn't seem to fit the song very well...
----how does it not fit the song,
Old 05-16-2003, 01:51 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

i think the book itself isn't a symbol, but what the black figure is doing to it.

it is tearing out pages...preventing the child from seeing certain things (a world outside his own?).
Old 05-26-2003, 07:10 AM   #10
Banned.

Bincount™: 55
Re: Re: my least favorite

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff L.
----how does it not fit the song,

I think he/she most likely meant it doens't fit the "feel" or sound of the song, not the lyrics.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3
well thats tool for ya
Old 06-09-2003, 11:06 AM   #12
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

oh wow, I just saw the video for the first time. I love it... its their most interesting and cohesive. That alien is so cool/creepy. i haven't really looked at in depth for meaning, but as of now, I just think its cool.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:03 PM   #13

Bincount™: 6

The question is: Is it actually supposed to fit in with the song.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #14

Bincount™: 6

or for that matter, does it actually matter if it does or not
Old 01-26-2004, 09:45 PM   #15
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i only downloaded this vid about a week ago and i have to say that it is by far my favorite. it makes the most sense, and the characters are so cool. i can't help but love the little doll looking dude. just the models and the flow and symbolism it's awesome.

i've got most of it figured out except for the spinning child-head thing, the meat-looking figure, and the caterpillar.

the bee, man, the bee is awesome.

near the end when the parent is passing the bee from one finger to the other. i love it. the first time i saw it i was like: WHOA! just do to the incredible symbolism. it was just so impacting.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #16
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

The creature in black comes from within the doll.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah this video isn't really up to par- but it's a co-direct, and i think adam works best as sole creative control. the stop motion is really derivative of the brothers quay, and while the concept is a lot more linear than most other tool videos, i think it's to it's detriment, not advantage.

i'd say sober and hush are both worse though.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:37 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I think this video was the best one, better than parabola(partially because i still don't get it :P) the contrast between the doll and the dark figure are clear and concise, and its just a good video :)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

It is my personal favorite besides parabola,

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: