opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 13. Ænema
User Name
Password
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
interpretation

aenema is about waking up from the ego-nightmare that exists very heavily in america.

it's ironic because many fans of tool haven't woken up. if that's the case, then the lyrics are an outright kick in the nuts, a successful attempt to
wake...
you......
the.......
fuck......
up........
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 10
Re: interpretation

Very True Ive met many Tool fans that still havent "Woken" up. Still ego maniacs, still assholes, still living life with a lazy attitude. So yeah its sad...but thats the world that we live in. Ive said it many times to my friends and family...if people listen to this music and embrace it...The world would be a better place. Cheers.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Are you going to expand on my interpretation?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

What the hell do you want me to say? lol damn what a weirdo. Look above your last post and you will see that I did expand on your interpretation. Also, Why the hell do you always name your threads "Interpretation"? I mean shit have some god damn variety. Is that why your so anal about people expanding your ideas? Talk about an ego maniac.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool_Is_Sick View Post
What the hell do you want me to say? lol damn what a weirdo. Look above your last post and you will see that I did expand on your interpretation. Also, Why the hell do you always name your threads "Interpretation"? I mean shit have some god damn variety. Is that why your so anal about people expanding your ideas? Talk about an ego maniac.
I was a Lego Maniac once....but that's a story for another time.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

I beleive that aenima is about humans thinking that they r the dominant being in the universe. Maynard is asking mother nature to destroy wat we have made. we think that we can get away with w/e we wat to do to the world and there will be many "dumbfounded dipshits" wen mother nature does take action. yes humans do need to come to a realization or "wake up". this is my 1st post i will be glad to discuss nething on this song as it is my favorite song along with lateralus.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
I was a Lego Maniac once....but that's a story for another time.
haha, you let me know what your about the tell the story. I would enjoy that.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
haha, you let me know what your about the tell the story. I would enjoy that.
Well I was joking about the Lego Maniac comment. But my take on this song is this: Los Angelas, Hollywood, etc are all the epicenter of America for materialism and the loss of what should be meaningful. Hence, fret for your latte and fret for your hairpiece, fret for you pilot and fret for your prozac, etc. All these fucking materialistic objects. It's like the little boy or girl in those sweet 16 shows on MTV where all they know about life is getting everything they want, my way right away and the world just doens't work that way. They are so out of touch with reality that they become careless and nieve to the world. A bad day for them is having to wait an extra day for that personally engraved diamond necklace they wanted and it's like the end of the world for them. They're oblivious to the rest of the world's suffering. Maynard's view in my opinion is that we need to flush it all away. all these bullshit ideals and go back to the basics where the world and the people in it are important, the earth's health as well as our own is important, quit spending so much fucking money to fund a worthless war and feed our poor, create jobs for them. The world is all about the next man's greed. What ever happened to family, helping an elderly woman across the street, maybe assisting a young child to learn something he's having difficulty with in school. In addition, he's referencing the end of days (Nostadaumus, Mayan Doomsday, etc) where one day something big is going to happen and the world will be FORCED to work together to get through it. It's almost a necessary evil which is why he's praying for tidal waves, praying for riot, praying for meteor showers and tidal waves. Because that's the only thing that will make everybody open up their fucking eyes and realize once again what is truly important. Picture two men outside in a fistfight in New York, it's 9-11-01 and they're hating each others guts because one man got a job the other had applied for (or something petty as such) and then suddenly the planes crash into the World Trade Center, next thing you know, they forget all about what they were fighting for and their motive now becomes keeping each other alive. Afterwards they forgive everything, they hug and they are again brothers of the human race. It will be first huge step in evolution because a catastrophic event as the doomsday times will again force mankind to set aside their differences and work together in order to survive, in retrospect...they will wonder what we were all fighting over in the first place to begin with.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Inner_Eulogy, that was a good read man you gave that alot of thought if you ask me. But yeah it is very sad the way the world is this day and age. I wake up everyday hoping that the world will change for the better but it never happens. All we can do is one by one try to make a difference and cross our fingers for peace on earth, but we all know that will never happen. Its always me, me, me and nobody gives a shit about other peoples emotions and if you ask me (like you stated) Greed killed everyone. If its not satisfiying you and your bank account then you dont give a shit. Some cases even if your friends with them... Its fuckin sad man.

Off topic, I also knew that you were joking about the lego maniac deal. But if you cancel off the L...you spell EGO! How Ironic. Peace man 8:00 am comes early.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 AM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Well I was joking about the Lego Maniac comment. But my take on this song is this: Los Angelas, Hollywood, etc are all the epicenter of America for materialism and the loss of what should be meaningful. Hence, fret for your latte and fret for your hairpiece, fret for you pilot and fret for your prozac, etc. All these fucking materialistic objects. It's like the little boy or girl in those sweet 16 shows on MTV where all they know about life is getting everything they want, my way right away and the world just doens't work that way. They are so out of touch with reality that they become careless and nieve to the world. A bad day for them is having to wait an extra day for that personally engraved diamond necklace they wanted and it's like the end of the world for them. They're oblivious to the rest of the world's suffering. Maynard's view in my opinion is that we need to flush it all away. all these bullshit ideals and go back to the basics where the world and the people in it are important, the earth's health as well as our own is important, quit spending so much fucking money to fund a worthless war and feed our poor, create jobs for them. The world is all about the next man's greed. What ever happened to family, helping an elderly woman across the street, maybe assisting a young child to learn something he's having difficulty with in school. In addition, he's referencing the end of days (Nostadaumus, Mayan Doomsday, etc) where one day something big is going to happen and the world will be FORCED to work together to get through it. It's almost a necessary evil which is why he's praying for tidal waves, praying for riot, praying for meteor showers and tidal waves. Because that's the only thing that will make everybody open up their fucking eyes and realize once again what is truly important. Picture two men outside in a fistfight in New York, it's 9-11-01 and they're hating each others guts because one man got a job the other had applied for (or something petty as such) and then suddenly the planes crash into the World Trade Center, next thing you know, they forget all about what they were fighting for and their motive now becomes keeping each other alive. Afterwards they forgive everything, they hug and they are again brothers of the human race. It will be first huge step in evolution because a catastrophic event as the doomsday times will again force mankind to set aside their differences and work together in order to survive, in retrospect...they will wonder what we were all fighting over in the first place to begin with.
yep thats a pretty good crackdown on that aspect of the song
Old 11-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Off topic, I also knew that you were joking about the lego maniac deal. But if you cancel off the L...you spell EGO! How Ironic. Peace man 8:00 am comes early.
That was exactly the point...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
That was exactly the point...
So we do think on the same level at times?!?! Awesome. I thought you built huge lego buildings when you were a child lol. Cheers.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
caveman

Bincount™: 193

Quote:
Ya......they think everything is "Their way right away"........

Oh ya, that's fuckin' Burger King.

Dam, I guess I just don't have anything to add to I_E's post. Definitely a good thought man. At least someone gets it.

Wherever you go........there you are.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
On Probation

Bincount™: 189

Yeah, pretty much hit the nail on the head, but when you compare AEnima to the rest of the songs lyrically, this song seems to have the clearest message. So I suppose it has the most important message that couldn't afford to be disguised? Or is it just Maynard telling it straight as he thinks it is? Or am I criminally insane and should be locked up?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

And throw away the key.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
caveman

Bincount™: 193

LOL.....this thread is great.

:))

Wherever you go........there you are.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Yeah, pretty much hit the nail on the head, but when you compare AEnima to the rest of the songs lyrically, this song seems to have the clearest message. So I suppose it has the most important message that couldn't afford to be disguised? Or is it just Maynard telling it straight as he thinks it is? Or am I criminally insane and should be locked up?
You think that's good? You should see my opinion on 46&2 and it's relation to gumdrops.

=-)
Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
On Probation

Quote:
You think that's good? You should see my opinion on 46&2 and it's relation to gumdrops.

=-)
Gumdrops!?
This, I gotta see.

Then again, Most Tool songs are so open to interpretation that some strange ideas can crop up, and seem perfectly normal.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #19
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Nothing View Post
Gumdrops!?
This, I gotta see.

Then again, Most Tool songs are so open to interpretation that some strange ideas can crop up, and seem perfectly normal.
....yeah, um.....it was a joke
Old 11-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
Banned.

Bincount™: 958

aww.... i like gumdrops.....
Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
On Probation

yeah me too.... gutted..:(
although nothing beats a good slab of quality chocolate mm mmm

so, shall we interpret our favourite candy?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
On Probation

Bincount™: 42

Quote:
....yeah, um.....it was a joke
Still pwning in the albums section, I see.

I probably know the answer to this, but how come you never go into Socialize or the Bin?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
On Probation

He doesn't only mess with noobs. He messes with everyone who he feels is deserving of it...it is quite amusing.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #24
On Probation

No, only Inner can pull this off and get away with it.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #25
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppi View Post

I probably know the answer to this, but how come you never go into Socialize or the Bin?
<shrug> Not familiar with those.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #26
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
He doesn't only mess with noobs. He messes with everyone who he feels is deserving of it...it is quite amusing.
Pretty accurate. However, I'm also willing to admit when I'm wrong. I just have a mark perpensity for ones well endowed with a lack of common sense.

Oh, any by the way...it has nothing to do with your n00b status as Rivek put it. I'm equally as intolerant to all.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

Because Inner is a mature adult and doesnt start unwanted keyboard fights over a damn computer. People in those sections of the site are just trouble makers and cowards if you ask me. Most of them hate Tool...they make you feel like a fuckin idiot at times because you dont know How to play Halo or What the best way to kill yourself is. Fuck them people. The album section is the best place to accomplish what your on this site to do and that is to discuss Tool and Why you "GET" their message.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #28
On Probation

Quote:
Pretty accurate. However, I'm also willing to admit when I'm wrong. I just have a mark perpensity for ones well endowed with a lack of common sense.

Oh, any by the way...it has nothing to do with your n00b status as Rivek put it. I'm equally as intolerant to all.
He wasn't referring to my "noob" status. I think you were making fun of someone else. You and I have actually agreed on things on several occasions.

Besides, if I were really a noob, how would I know that Inner picks on anyone he feels lacks common sense and not only noobs?

Quote:
Because Inner is a mature adult and doesnt start unwanted keyboard fights over a damn computer. People in those sections of the site are just trouble makers and cowards if you ask me. Most of them hate Tool...they make you feel like a fuckin idiot at times because you dont know How to play Halo or What the best way to kill yourself is. Fuck them people. The album section is the best place to accomplish what your on this site to do and that is to discuss Tool and Why you "GET" their message.
I see you've got some feelings of angst towards those in those forums. I felt that way once, but you get used to it and it will not bother you after you've been here for a while. The ones who hang out in there do tend to pick on noobs more though.

I've seen some get really hurt by things that were said. They never actually bothered me much. Either give it back to them (which may just provoke them more and draw more negative attention to you) or just ignore them and seek out those who aren't so judgmental. Don't be intimidated by idiots who can be a bully while not in your face; they're probably cowards in real life. Good luck to you if you decide to go back in there. :)

Last edited by keroppi; 11-20-2007 at 06:38 AM..
Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #29
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm always mature. And as far as those sections of the forum, I don't know right from left, I've just never visited them at all ever so I have nothign to base an opinion on them, I simply don't go there. Although it does seem like you've got some frustrations penned up from a previous experience in there ???.

Simple answer is I don't think I know all and everything about Tool. I know a hell of a lot and I know what makes sense and what doesn't. Some ideas seem to be spot on and many are plausible but then there are others which are just outright retarded and entirely undeniably irrelevant. And it is those in which become my prey.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #30
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
That's not what I'm on this site to do at all. There's no real purpose to my visiting this site other than to kill time... but if I had to put a purpose to it it would not be anything about Tool or their message, it would be to communicate with people who share (or once shared) an interest of mine.
Thanks for the new signature. Now when I said enjoy it while it lasts I was referring to perhaps a cracking a grin or giggling....but now, oh now you've just gone too far with this "I'm basking in the glory" theme signature of yours...

.....anyways, it was mildly amusing and I actually thought about laughing
Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #31
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm always mature. And as far as those sections of the forum, I don't know right from left, I've just never visited them at all ever so I have nothign to base an opinion on them, I simply don't go there. Although it does seem like you've got some frustrations penned up from a previous experience in there ???
Yeah unfortunately I did encounter something that I didnt really approve of but it was something small now that I think about it. People were pretty much saying Tool sucks...you will eventually understand that..blah blah..so I held my ground but its over with..I love Tool and I always Will. Period.

I just dont understand why your on a "TOOL" website and you have an account but you dont like Tool? This still confuses me to this day. People come in here to "waste time"..I dont know but there is a thing called myspace or facebook if you wanna waste time and talk to people with the same interest. Maybe im just crazy...Peace man.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

There will never come a band that will influence my life more than Tool has done. Albeit they are not AS popular as say Led Zepplin but the movement is there. You never see bands anymore these days put in half the dedication into their music as Tool does, nor is the music as good or the message they make. Tool is to me the best band ever created. There is just so much depth to what they do. I would love to shake Maynards hand one day, sip some wine in Sedona and just shoot the shit about any and everything. I wonder if he really is humble in real life and down to earth or is he like fuck you crazy fans, leave me alone.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #33
On Probation

I agree with you, Inner. Although I'm not sure I'd want to meet him. I wouldn't want to be presented with an image other than I one I hold of him.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
I agree with you, Inner. Although I'm not sure I'd want to meet him. I wouldn't want to be presented with an image other than I one I hold of him.
Nah, I think it'd be great to meet him as well as the other band members. No crazy stalker fan shit, just to hang and get to know them as real people out of sheer curiousity.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #35
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
Well judging by the way he acts towards his fans, the latter

So Eulogy, I'd suggest you don't show him the tattoo of his face on your ass when you meet him
Well could go both ways, granted he may be quite cynical about his fans or fans even in general. He could very well be down to earth with ya' if you are with him. I know if I was famous, the crazy overzealous people wanting a lock of my hair, my underwear or even my water bottle would freak me out too! I'd be fuck your crazy dumbass. But the people that are down to earth and just appreciate the work he does and him as a person (not some star) he would be cooler with.

FYI, I suggest you ask your sister to quit calling me...I've already told her 4times a day is plenty enough.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #36
On Probation

LOL, I foresaw a much different response to that.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

lol I love you guys. If I had the chance to met Maynard or any of the band members..I definately would. Yes they might look at me weird and think im a fuckin crazy mofo but i would just wanna shake their hands and say thanks for making me look at things at a different angle during everyday life.

Inner..Tool is definately the best band ever created. Some day I might not listen to them as much as I do now but they will always have a special place in my heart/mind. Peace man.

Lastly to my friend Rivek, Im really sorry about your sister man that sucks about having every STD know to man. So, What is she doing this weekend?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

haha Ill protect myself..Thanks for the heads up dude.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #39
On Probation

I guess I was expecting you to insult Inner, not your sister. Funnier this way though.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #40
Level 8 - Vociferous

A man with a purpose...I like that..Word! HAHA

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: