Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
02-11-2007, 05:05 AM

Alright fellas, I don't know how many of us there are around here, but I think that the London area rock bands need to team up to fight this wave of Indie shit that's taken over our gig venues. It's really shite to play a show when the warm-up act is nothing like you, and it's easier to book a gig if you can get a few bands with a similar vibe, all of whom can bring some people along... that'll just make for a better night all-around.

so, this is basically just to see if anyone else is

a) in/around London

b) in an up-and-coming, non-indie, non-pop-punk, rock band

and

c) thinks this is a good idea, and would want to do some gigs together.

You can respond on here or just contact us via MySpace, there's a link to our page in my sig.
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21
ATTN: LONDON ROCK BANDS- Time to form a Union

Alright fellas, I don't know how many of us there are around here, but I think that the London area rock bands need to team up to fight this wave of Indie shit that's taken over our gig venues. It's really shite to play a show when the warm-up act is nothing like you, and it's easier to book a gig if you can get a few bands with a similar vibe, all of whom can bring some people along... that'll just make for a better night all-around.

so, this is basically just to see if anyone else is

a) in/around London

b) in an up-and-coming, non-indie, non-pop-punk, rock band

and

c) thinks this is a good idea, and would want to do some gigs together.

You can respond on here or just contact us via MySpace, there's a link to our page in my sig.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Mooseifer's Avatar Mooseifer
02-11-2007, 05:48 AM

We aren't from London (we are from N. Ireland) and we are looking to get a few gigs in England in April/May time. If you want we can come over and do a gig or two supporting you?

Check us out:

www.myspace.com/lotionband
Old 02-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
the moose is loose

Bincount™: 7462
Re: ATTN: LONDON ROCK BANDS- Time to form a Union

We aren't from London (we are from N. Ireland) and we are looking to get a few gigs in England in April/May time. If you want we can come over and do a gig or two supporting you?

Check us out:

www.myspace.com/lotionband
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM

You guys are good, but it looks like you have quite a lot more experience than we do, we're looking more for bands that are in the earlier stages and in the area so we can book gigs together on a regular basis, but if anything comes up around april or may and there's another slot on the night, I'll definitely let you guys know.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

You guys are good, but it looks like you have quite a lot more experience than we do, we're looking more for bands that are in the earlier stages and in the area so we can book gigs together on a regular basis, but if anything comes up around april or may and there's another slot on the night, I'll definitely let you guys know.
ktdude's Avatar ktdude
02-13-2007, 04:20 AM

again, we wouldn't be able to come down on a regular basis as we're up in Newcastle, we'd be new in London and don't have that much gigging experience so we'd definitely be up for some gigs in London at some point, maybe over the summer...

I realise it's not exactly what you're looking for but just expressing an interest. www.myspace.com/closedquarter (songs are 2 years old, we have a new set now).
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

again, we wouldn't be able to come down on a regular basis as we're up in Newcastle, we'd be new in London and don't have that much gigging experience so we'd definitely be up for some gigs in London at some point, maybe over the summer...

I realise it's not exactly what you're looking for but just expressing an interest. www.myspace.com/closedquarter (songs are 2 years old, we have a new set now).
02-13-2007, 06:04 AM

hmmm... ok, well by the summer we should have a pretty good routine worked out, so it probably would be easier to let you know about gigs...

I guess there's a lot of stuff up in the air at the moment, but the best thing I can think of is if we get a few gigs close together, and then have you guys join us on all of them... I like your sound, thousands of times better than typical contemporary rock music w/female vocalists. She doesn't over dramatise the singing and has an nice bit of Jefferson Airplane vibrato going on...

I think overall we'd put on a good show together, so I'll keep you in mind when the summer rolls around... One point to bring up is that most smaller venues here pay based on how many people you bring (they ask at the door who you came to see), and I don't know how far your fame has spread, but it would definitely help if you've got fans/mates in London who you can guarantee will be at the show.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

hmmm... ok, well by the summer we should have a pretty good routine worked out, so it probably would be easier to let you know about gigs...

I guess there's a lot of stuff up in the air at the moment, but the best thing I can think of is if we get a few gigs close together, and then have you guys join us on all of them... I like your sound, thousands of times better than typical contemporary rock music w/female vocalists. She doesn't over dramatise the singing and has an nice bit of Jefferson Airplane vibrato going on...

I think overall we'd put on a good show together, so I'll keep you in mind when the summer rolls around... One point to bring up is that most smaller venues here pay based on how many people you bring (they ask at the door who you came to see), and I don't know how far your fame has spread, but it would definitely help if you've got fans/mates in London who you can guarantee will be at the show.
ktdude's Avatar ktdude
02-16-2007, 05:25 AM

hey, thanks for your comments dude, much appreciated. I shall check you guys out over the weekend. yeah, it's pretty much the same system for payment up here, are these not the kind of places that would give you travel expenses? not that it would be a big deal between four of us but worth asking!!

we'll stay in touch!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
Level 9 3/4 - British

Bincount™: 15082

hey, thanks for your comments dude, much appreciated. I shall check you guys out over the weekend. yeah, it's pretty much the same system for payment up here, are these not the kind of places that would give you travel expenses? not that it would be a big deal between four of us but worth asking!!

we'll stay in touch!
02-16-2007, 09:05 AM

No problem, the whole point of this excercise was to see if we could play with bands that we actually like & can relate to musically, but the other point is that most rock with female vocals that I hear these days is either infested with cheesy-goth synths and pop chord progressions played in distorted fifths to give the (weak) illusion of heaviness, or simply doesn't manage to blend the music well with the vocal style, so I thought it was worth pointing out that you guys are actually onto something good.

So far, the venues we're playing haven't said a thing about travel expenses in the contract, just different variations on the theme of getting a portion of the door profits, but closer to the time (i.e. when we have dates/venues in mind) I'll double-check.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

No problem, the whole point of this excercise was to see if we could play with bands that we actually like & can relate to musically, but the other point is that most rock with female vocals that I hear these days is either infested with cheesy-goth synths and pop chord progressions played in distorted fifths to give the (weak) illusion of heaviness, or simply doesn't manage to blend the music well with the vocal style, so I thought it was worth pointing out that you guys are actually onto something good.

So far, the venues we're playing haven't said a thing about travel expenses in the contract, just different variations on the theme of getting a portion of the door profits, but closer to the time (i.e. when we have dates/venues in mind) I'll double-check.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply