Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 05. The Pot
User Name
Password
clint750
07-10-2006, 03:46 PM

Iv been listening to 10,000 days a lot since it come out and one of my favorites is the pot,but thats not really what this thread is about.Iv been reading a lot of people on the 10.000 days forum saying some of the new music is untool like.What exactly does that mean?It seems to me that the people who really dictate what is or isnt tool is the members themselves and any music they create is tool like because they are tool.I dont want to be misunderstood in this thread,everyone has theyr opinion and Im not critizing anyones,but tool is a collection off musicians and artists who came together to create music and music undergoes changes as people undergo changes,like everything else.Its the most basic law in the universe.Change.I love 10,000 days.Iv never heard any toolmusic I dont love and to hear someone say the new music is untool like dosnt make any sense to me.Anything they create is tool like regardless of any of our opinions. Feedback?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
untool?

Iv been listening to 10,000 days a lot since it come out and one of my favorites is the pot,but thats not really what this thread is about.Iv been reading a lot of people on the 10.000 days forum saying some of the new music is untool like.What exactly does that mean?It seems to me that the people who really dictate what is or isnt tool is the members themselves and any music they create is tool like because they are tool.I dont want to be misunderstood in this thread,everyone has theyr opinion and Im not critizing anyones,but tool is a collection off musicians and artists who came together to create music and music undergoes changes as people undergo changes,like everything else.Its the most basic law in the universe.Change.I love 10,000 days.Iv never heard any toolmusic I dont love and to hear someone say the new music is untool like dosnt make any sense to me.Anything they create is tool like regardless of any of our opinions. Feedback?
07-10-2006, 04:09 PM

I farted.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: untool?

I farted.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Caduceus11's Avatar Caduceus11
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM

I farted...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

I farted...
07-10-2006, 04:59 PM

I just farted
Old 07-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
On Probation

Bincount™: 2

I just farted
the darknight
07-10-2006, 07:12 PM

they farted
Old 07-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #5

Bincount™: 3

they farted
Harry Manback's Avatar Harry Manback
07-10-2006, 07:15 PM

I burped.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
On Probation

I burped.
walkerw8
07-14-2006, 04:36 PM

We certainly do indeed have quite a few "deep thinkers" here... ::rolling eyes::
I'd appreciate it if one of the mods cleaned up all that garbage above. Really.

Clint750, peope in general aren't too keen on change. Granted, I understand that some people won't like this album for other reasons, but generally we as humans all like what we're used to, so when Tool creates a new album and it sounds different, the people that are the least receptive to change are probably not going to like it. When Undertow came out, guess what, it was untool, so was Ænima, so was Lateralus, and guess what, so is 10,000 Days. :) Let those who are the least receptive to change go about their merry ways, and the rest of us will be fine.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
Level 4 - Thinker

We certainly do indeed have quite a few "deep thinkers" here... ::rolling eyes::

Clint750, peope in general aren't too keen on change. Granted, I understand that some people won't like this album for other reasons, but generally we as humans all like what we're used to, so when Tool creates a new album and it sounds different, the people that are the least receptive to change are probably not going to like it. When Undertow came out, guess what, it was untool, so was Ænima, so was Lateralus, and guess what, so is 10,000 Days. :) Let those who are the least receptive to change go about their merry ways, and the rest of us will be fine.
07-15-2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint750
I agree with your post, but not your punctuation!

I think there is something toolish in every song although their style changes. I think people say 10,000 days is untoolish because it was not as they expected. They are still Tool, but they have moved on to new music.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
apt-get --dist-upgrade

Bincount™: 5286

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint750
I agree with your post, but not your punctuation!

I think there is something toolish in every song although their style changes. I think people say 10,000 days is untoolish because it was not as they expected. They are still Tool, but they have moved on to new music.
sweatyturtle19's Avatar sweatyturtle19
07-15-2006, 09:41 AM

Yeah I really don't understand why so many people are disappointed with the direction they went with for 10,000 Days. Honestly, what more could they have done, especially after Lateralus? 10,000 Days is still a five star album for me. I love Aenima, Lateralus, and 10K Days equally because they are great for different reasons.

It seems like the only way people will be happy with new albums is if people completely reinvent their sound like Radiohead did with Kid A. Everyone hails that album as an amazing followup to OK Computer just because the sound is completely different, but that album arguably isn't even better. It just sounds different.

Just because Tool hasn't drastically changed their sound doesn't mean they have digressed...
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 67

Yeah I really don't understand why so many people are disappointed with the direction they went with for 10,000 Days. Honestly, what more could they have done, especially after Lateralus? 10,000 Days is still a five star album for me. I love Aenima, Lateralus, and 10K Days equally because they are great for different reasons.

It seems like the only way people will be happy with new albums is if people completely reinvent their sound like Radiohead did with Kid A. Everyone hails that album as an amazing followup to OK Computer just because the sound is completely different, but that album arguably isn't even better. It just sounds different.

Just because Tool hasn't drastically changed their sound doesn't mean they have digressed...
07-15-2006, 05:43 PM

the fact of the matter is, that whatever TOOL puts on a CD, is very TOOL...it IS TOOL. End of conversation. All these lightweights who are waiting for a remix of Undertow can just stay behind the rest of us where they belong.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

the fact of the matter is, that whatever TOOL puts on a CD, is very TOOL...it IS TOOL. End of conversation. All these lightweights who are waiting for a remix of Undertow can just stay behind the rest of us where they belong.
07-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerw8

Who are you to wave your fatty finger at me...you must have been out your mind!

I mean come on! Lighten up will ya? If you don't like it, go post somewhere else, 'no....one....told....you....to COME!!!'

Your second paragraph here is ok, and a valid point....I really don't think the mod's have time to bend every post into a shape that agrees with you...so roll away eyes...that's about all thats going to happen....
Old 07-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I mean come on! Lighten up will ya? If you don't like it, go post somewhere else, 'no....one....told....you....to COME!!!'

Your second paragraph here is ok, and a valid point....I really don't think the mod's have time to bend every post into a shape that agrees with you...so roll away eyes...that's about all thats going to happen....
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Very clever! Did you think that one up yourself?

Quote:
'no....one....told....you....to COME!!!'
You're such a Tool!!! :P

Isn't that what mods are supposed to do is clean up threads that have gotten out of hand or grossly offtopic? Someone started a thread with a valid question and 6 people spammed the thread. What are mods for then? They certainly don't regulate profanity or anything like that.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

Quote:
'no....one....told....you....to COME!!!'

Isn't that what mods are supposed to do is clean up threads that have gotten out of hand or grossly offtopic? Someone started a thread with a valid question and 6 people spammed the thread. What are mods for then? They certainly don't regulate profanity or anything like that.
07-16-2006, 12:45 PM

This is song is too Tool for Tool to do. But I still like it.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

This is song is too Tool for Tool to do. But I still like it.
07-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Yea, 10,000 days is just too TOOLish....
Old 07-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Yea, 10,000 days is just too TOOLish....
07-16-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:

I think thats maybe a little idealistic. Besides, I was just replied to the post before...the guy said he farted. So did I and apparently others have too, but just refuse to admit it. I think it applies because it lead to a point. Point being, that the lyrics are so flexible, yet have such a profound meaing....I mean if you farted, why can't you just admit it>?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

I think thats maybe a little idealistic. Besides, I was just replied to the post before...the guy said he farted. So did I and apparently others have too, but just refuse to admit it. I think it applies because it lead to a point. Point being, that the lyrics are so flexible, yet have such a profound meaing....I mean if you farted, why can't you just admit it>?
07-22-2006, 05:43 PM

>_> Right.

Anyway, there is no winning this argument anyway, if there is one.

On one hand, you have the Tool fans that are stuck in the 90's, who don't want anything to happen to their precious Ænema or Undertow. Anything that isn't the new Stinkfist or Prison Sex is just a waste of breath and creativity.

And then on the other hand, you have the fans that will adore Tool no matter what. Every song, sound, and snippit they produce. Can anyone say Harry Manback?

The really pathetic thing is that both sides will point fingers, name call, and generally just bitch about each other until they turn blue in the face. But you know what? I love the fact that Tool grows up with each album. And you know what else? I love this song, and The Patient, and Vicarious, and Schism. I don't like most of the songs off of Undertow, even though Prison Sex, Swamp Song, and Sober are fucking bad ass songs. I didn't like Hooker with a Penis, the stupid fillers on each album, nor Rosseta Stoned. But I thought Reflection was a fucking excellent song.

The point is, I don't think every little turd that Tool shits for us is pure gold, but I do like most of what they put out. And I like almost all of their work, even the shit most of you don't like. And I also don't like most of the shit you guys worship most(Rosetta Stoned).

Case in point: get over yourselves.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #16
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

>_> Right.

On one hand, you have the Tool fans that are stuck in the 90's, who don't want anything to happen to their precious Ænema or Undertow. Anything that isn't the new Stinkfist or Prison Sex is just a waste of breath and creativity.

And then on the other hand, you have the fans that will adore Tool no matter what. Every song, sound, and snippit they produce. Can anyone say Harry Manback?

The really pathetic thing is that both sides will point fingers, name call, and generally just bitch about each other until they turn blue in the face. But you know what? I love the fact that Tool grows up with each album. And you know what else? I love this song, and The Patient, and Vicarious, and Schism. I don't like most of the songs off of Undertow, even though Prison Sex, Swamp Song, and Sober are fucking bad ass songs. I didn't like Hooker with a Penis, the stupid fillers on each album, nor Rosseta Stoned. But I thought Reflection was a fucking excellent song.

The point is, I don't think every little turd that Tool shits for us is pure gold, but I do like most of what they put out. And I like almost all of their work, even the shit most of you don't like. And I also don't like most of the shit you guys worship most(Rosetta Stoned).

07-27-2006, 10:49 AM

I think Ty Web said it best in Caddyshack, right before he boned Lacy Underall: "there's a subtle perfection in everything I do." It's the same way with TooL, and hopefully with us all. Koombaya. I farted out a true olfactory-nightmare just now in the conference room! The old corporate-burrito-blast as I call it. Sweet Christmas that's so pungent it's poingnant: reminding me of all the great farts I've loosed or the years...tear my eye.
I am a cornball honkey on a rampage!!! I need a quarter billion, then I'm going to remake the school system, fix the job situation, dismantle the american gulag system, and run these beardless bloated honkeys out of congress! First though, allow me to smoke a duber.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

I think Ty Web said it best in Caddyshack, right before he boned Lacy Underall: "there's a subtle perfection in everything I do." It's the same way with TooL, and hopefully with us all. Koombaya. I farted out a true olfactory-nightmare just now in the conference room! The old corporate-burrito-blast as I call it. Sweet Christmas that's so pungent it's poingnant: reminding me of all the great farts I've loosed or the years...tear my eye.
I am a cornball honkey on a rampage!!! I need a quarter billion, then I'm going to remake the school system, fix the job situation, dismantle the american gulag system, and run these beardless bloated honkeys out of congress! First though, allow me to smoke a duber.
paraflux
07-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
I dont have fatty fingers but I just waved mine at everyone who farted on this guy's thread.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11
I dont have fatty fingers but I just waved mine at everyone who farted on this guy's thread.
paraflux
07-27-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Are you aware of how many threads there are on this forum?

Back on topic.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

Quote:
Are you aware of how many threads there are on this forum?

Back on topic.
(self(other's Avatar (self(other
08-10-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice
>_> Right.

Good point. People just get too obsessed and thanks to the net are able to dissect a band apart, binging on info and pics/videos, it tarnishes the experience. Not saying the net and this forum are bad, just bad for people who go nuts.
And so what you're saying when you say 'I understand it intellectually, but I don't get it intuitively,' or 'I don't feel it in my bones,' is that you understand it in the sense of being able to repeat a form of words.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #20
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateSolstice
>_> Right.

Good point. People just get too obsessed and thanks to the net are able to dissect a band apart, binging on info and pics/videos, it tarnishes the experience. Not saying the net and this forum are bad, just bad for people who go nuts.
And so what you're saying when you say 'I understand it intellectually, but I don't get it intuitively,' or 'I don't feel it in my bones,' is that you understand it in the sense of being able to repeat a form of words.
clint750
08-12-2006, 07:57 PM

I understand what you mean in a sense self other.Sometimes I almost wish I hadnt put so much time into collecting every piece of information I could find about tool.I think it takes away from the music somewhat.Oh well,Ill cotinue doing it and if someone wants to label it an obsession Im okay with that as well.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

I understand what you mean in a sense self other.Sometimes I almost wish I hadnt put so much time into collecting every piece of information I could find about tool.I think it takes away from the music somewhat.Oh well,Ill cotinue doing it and if someone wants to label it an obsession Im okay with that as well.
08-12-2006, 08:16 PM

No one can dictate how Tool is. It's their artistic freedom to sound how they want. Personally, I love the new CD. I love everything they put out from Opiate-10,000 days. It's all different, yet the same at the sametime.

Contact me at [email protected] for any questions or just to talk about Tool or anything.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

No one can dictate how Tool is. It's their artistic freedom to sound how they want. Personally, I love the new CD. I love everything they put out from Opiate-10,000 days. It's all different, yet the same at the sametime.

Contact me at [email protected] for any questions or just to talk about Tool or anything.
Louis_116206
08-20-2006, 12:15 PM

i agree that its tool regardless. maybe the reason people would say that is because alot of older tool stuff is darker,sinister and a lot heavier. 10,000 days is more experimental to me (that doesnt mean its a bad album).

heres how it is with most bands.

when a band comes out they play there best fucking shit and write the best stuff they possibl can to get noticed and make money. once theyve been noticed they no longer write the good shit because they dont need to work their ass off to become famous as they already are. thats why if you listen to alot of bands later albums they are asolut shit.

tool however try and keep themselves as private as possible so they have to play good music either way. they havent gone crap or shit they just want to play something different
Old 08-20-2006, 12:15 PM   #23

Bincount™: 9

i agree that its tool regardless. maybe the reason people would say that is because alot of older tool stuff is darker,sinister and a lot heavier. 10,000 days is more experimental to me (that doesnt mean its a bad album).

heres how it is with most bands.

when a band comes out they play there best fucking shit and write the best stuff they possibl can to get noticed and make money. once theyve been noticed they no longer write the good shit because they dont need to work their ass off to become famous as they already are. thats why if you listen to alot of bands later albums they are asolut shit.

tool however try and keep themselves as private as possible so they have to play good music either way. they havent gone crap or shit they just want to play something different
08-23-2006, 07:03 PM

some people are just pissed off that it has mass appeal and also like to forget that there was life before lateralus.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

some people are just pissed off that it has mass appeal and also like to forget that there was life before lateralus.
08-23-2006, 08:10 PM

People are just mad because they heard the album was going to be alot harder...so they said ''Hey, they're going back to the Opiate/Undertow era! Kickass!''...

However they got completely different in their eyes...personally the album is just as ''hard'' as Opiate and Undertow just without the anger so to speak. Just because The Pot doesn't sound like Jerk-off doesn't mean it's ''Untool like'' or whatever you want to call it. They're progressing into the band they want to be, and not becoming the band you want them to be.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #25
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

People are just mad because they heard the album was going to be alot harder...so they said ''Hey, they're going back to the Opiate/Undertow era! Kickass!''...

However they got completely different in their eyes...personally the album is just as ''hard'' as Opiate and Undertow just without the anger so to speak. Just because The Pot doesn't sound like Jerk-off doesn't mean it's ''Untool like'' or whatever you want to call it. They're progressing into the band they want to be, and not becoming the band you want them to be.
08-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Everyone hoping for an aenima or whatever past album need to find their Eleven, hes strandid somewhere.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 24

Everyone hoping for an aenima or whatever past album need to find their Eleven, hes strandid somewhere.
DON IOTAE's Avatar DON IOTAE
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM

there's only one un-tool thing that you can to in my book, and that's farting.

im whitcha, clint.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #27
Banned.

Bincount™: 13310

there's only one un-tool thing that you can to in my book, and that's farting.

im whitcha, clint.
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
08-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11 View Post
the fact of the matter is, that whatever TOOL puts on a CD, is very TOOL...it IS TOOL.
sort of like how load and reload were very METALLICA, because it WAS METALLICA?
now if tool does happen to make another album, my expectations wont be as high (non existant actually) because of this current release....the album dissapoints entirely. it hurt to listen to the first time.

-luther
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus11 View Post
the fact of the matter is, that whatever TOOL puts on a CD, is very TOOL...it IS TOOL.
sort of like how load and reload were very METALLICA, because it WAS METALLICA?
now if tool does happen to make another album, my expectations wont be as high (non existant actually) because of this current release....the album dissapoints entirely. it hurt to listen to the first time.

-luther
Stinkfyst's Avatar Stinkfyst
08-24-2006, 07:31 PM

If I didn't like the album, then I'd agree with you luther, however each of their albums are different so hell you might be quite impressed with their next album...you never know...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

If I didn't like the album, then I'd agree with you luther, however each of their albums are different so hell you might be quite impressed with their next album...you never know...
09-01-2006, 06:53 PM

christ is coming. and so am i.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #30

christ is coming. and so am i.
philipg's Avatar philipg
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM

but i guess the bottom line is most tool fans, that i know at least, started listening to tool when lateralus came out, or after.
hell that was 6 years ago
so they dont know how to digest new music. since theyve been listening to tool, the albums have all been there. thats been the defined tool for them.
im sure fans of undertown were probably shocked when they heard aenema. each of the tool cds prior to 10,000 days are very different, although opiate and undertow are relatively similar.
bands evolve, change, explore new ideas and continue to grow as musicians.
if you want a band that will release the same song 12 times on every cd and run in circles their whole music career.. listen to nickleback.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #31

but i guess the bottom line is most tool fans, that i know at least, started listening to tool when lateralus came out, or after.
hell that was 6 years ago
so they dont know how to digest new music. since theyve been listening to tool, the albums have all been there. thats been the defined tool for them.
im sure fans of undertown were probably shocked when they heard aenema. each of the tool cds prior to 10,000 days are very different, although opiate and undertow are relatively similar.
if you want a band that will release the same song 12 times on every cd and run in circles their whole music career.. listen to nickleback.
ydoc462
09-08-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipg View Post
Well said. Point continued; I am sure it took some people a while to warm up to Lateralus after Anema. Every album is a different journey, that is one of the million things that makes Tool the best band ever! On top of that , we may be a bit spoiled following Lateralus, which IMO is the greatest album of all time.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:28 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipg View Post
Well said. Point continued; I am sure it took some people a while to warm up to Lateralus after Anema. Every album is a different journey, that is one of the million things that makes Tool the best band ever! On top of that , we may be a bit spoiled following Lateralus, which IMO is the greatest album of all time.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply