As a Tool fan, audiophile and music producer I decided to remaster this song for the following reasons:
- It was released with a Loudness War mastering so it suffered being compressed to hell.
- There are its Stems online since it was included in Guitar Hero: World Tour videogame, althought in reality every stem is the audio track of every instrument mixed with the rest of the song at a higher volume.
- I didn't find any actual proper remaster of this song.
- Is a great song from Tool
- Also got inspired by this thread: https://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=64182
I used Cubase DAW and added Expansors for evey instrument (especially the drums), tweaking with the Knee, Threshold, Ratio, Gain, etc so I could make an inverse effect of what the compressor did in the Production state. This is because even the Stems were heavely compressed, they are very probably already-mastered versions.
After quite some time and also modifing the volume of the instruments and sections of the song I finally made a version that really has the impact that was lost in the oficial release, having a lot better dynamic range and, therefore, sound quality.